I actually posted this under another thread but then when I thought about it I wanted to share with the wider audience so have re-produced my comments here.
I have seen so many people be quite critical of the relative lack of quests available in FFXIV compared with other mmo's. The particular MMO that seems to get the most praise in this area is WoW. Let's be honest, WoW did have literally hundreds of quests to level up on from level 1 to level 80 so it should rightly be seen as the benchmark by which other games should be measured.
Given the nature of 90% of the quests in WoW and the extent of love across this board for WoW's questing system, I have provided below a guide as to how to quest, WoW style in FFXI. I cant actually think of a reason why this format would not satisfy all but the most blinkered of WoW fans given that it offers an infinite quantity of WoW style quests with infinite financial reward - you are limited only by your available time.
1) Start your quest by choosing any mob to kill and get a drop - (for example moko grass).
2) Now you know that the particular mob drops moko grass - set yourself a target of questing for 20 moko grass
3) In your mind, imagine that you have a quest to collect 20 moko grass.
4) Go and grind mobs - collect 20 moko grass.
5) No imagine that the next "quest" in the WoW style quest chain is to make 10 Moko Thread
6) Switch jobs to Weaver and craft away.
7) Now for the good bit, now you have completed your 2 part quest you can collect your quest reward. Go to an NPC, sell your moko thread for cash - bang there is your reward.
8) As an enhancement to WoW questing, you can actually choose to make this part of a larger quest chain.
9) the larger quest chain involves a reward of a new cloak.
10) the next part of the chain is to farm the other materials required and then you get the ultimate reward - a new item to wear.
YOu can do this with pretty much every drop item, with every collected item from mining or botany etc.
Quests in WoW were exactly like this so if you miss them taht much - i have just provided you a way to quest the way you love and with the freedom to have millions and millions of quests rather than the ones that Blizzard added to the game for you.
Now, I fully expect you are going to love FFXIV!