Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Good or Bad, It's HappeningFollow

#1 Sep 30 2010 at 12:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,141 posts
The game has its ups. The game has its downs. One outweighs the other right now (do I need to say which?), but regardless of that fact, I logged on this morning.

And by "logged on this morning" I mean, I waited for my fiance to leave for work (with her assuming I was on my way out as well), and then I ran back to the computer, cranked out a fishing leve (got to rank 4!!!), and missed a 9 o'clock meeting at work.

And so it begins, an unhealthy obsession (it's not an addiction if I don't want to quit, right?). And you know what? I couldn't be happier.
____________________________
Striveldt

FFXIV: Lancer, Fisher, Culinarian
FFXI: DRK 55, WAR 30, THF 27, DRG 27 (all retired)
WoW: Hunter 70, Warrior 29, Druid 26, Warlock 22, Shaman 19 (all retired)
EQII: Shadowknight 36 (retired)
#2 Sep 30 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Welcome to the Dark Side..... cookies are on the table in the back.
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#3 Sep 30 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
im there with you.
#4 Sep 30 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
49 posts
hurray!!! obsession > addiction!!!! And now i have nothing else to say

oh and sorry but i have to laugh at 55 drk being retired.. not dissing you or anything but i did chuckle...ff14ftw

edit: oh and grats on fishing

Edited, Sep 30th 2010 2:33pm by RaidonFF14
____________________________


#5 Sep 30 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
Addiction, obsession, who cares.

All I know is I'm in love. and I can't wait till this maintenance ends.
____________________________
I'm back, not to cause trouble. And anyone who knows the original Weedjedi.....please don't karma bomb me. Just saying.
I'm 20 now, more mature and less stupid. And the only reason I didn't use the original weedjedi is because I can't remember it's login details.
#6 Sep 30 2010 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
23 posts
I feel you. I would normally stay away from my computer in the morning. Especially in workdays! Though sometimes I would like to login just for few minutes to check on my bazaar/retainer... I know I will end up coming in late or call in sick! haha
#7 Sep 30 2010 at 12:50 PM Rating: Default
*
52 posts
/watches the minutes tick away... I empathize with you. I wanna play!
#8 Sep 30 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
698 posts
My computer is at just about the minimum requirements for this game so everything I do is so god-awful slow. But I still can't stop myself from playing....
____________________________

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
#9 Sep 30 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
852 posts
You know, I hate to be a spoil sport because I understand where you're coming from, but do you think it's really... uh, wise, to be setting yourself up for problems when there's 10% unemployment in the US?

FFXIV isn't really worth you losing your job or your fiancée because you just couldn't get enough mindless leves.
____________________________
#10 Sep 30 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I was late for work today because I checked my bazaar in the morning and realized all my copper rings had sole and needed to make a few more to sell!

yeah.. it's happening.
____________________________


#11 Sep 30 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
striveldt wrote:
The game has its ups. The game has its downs. One outweighs the other right now (do I need to say which?), but regardless of that fact, I logged on this morning.


You are implying the bad outweighs the good, but the scale doesn't lie. And the scale reads your choosing to spend your free time (and not-so-free time) playing FFXIV.
#12 Sep 30 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
For all it's flaws (which I am guilty of complaining about) I am addicted already.

I make all my meetings on time, I just choose not to sleep instead!
#13 Sep 30 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
At least you made it to work.. i've called out from work at lease 3 times since game launch.

i'm a bad kitty.
#14 Sep 30 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
I've done two all nighters since game launch...and about to hit the gym at 6am in an hour after another one!
____________________________
FFXIV

Estur Leone - Gysahl

#15 Sep 30 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
I've ******* and moaned about this and that... and yet here I am sitting at my comp, anxiously wondering when they will put the patch up so I can update and start playing again. =P
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#16 Sep 30 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Default
*
103 posts
Quote:
And by "logged on this morning" I mean, I waited for my fiance to leave for work (with her assuming I was on my way out as well), and then I ran back to the computer, cranked out a fishing leve (got to rank 4!!!), and missed a 9 o'clock meeting at work.


They have support groups for this, and I do believe pills, I think they can be found in the "I'm an idiot" aisle at your local grocery store.

=P
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#17 Sep 30 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
76 posts
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
And by "logged on this morning" I mean, I waited for my fiance to leave for work (with her assuming I was on my way out as well), and then I ran back to the computer, cranked out a fishing leve (got to rank 4!!!), and missed a 9 o'clock meeting at work.


They have support groups for this, and I do believe pills, I think they can be found in the "I'm an idiot" aisle at your local grocery store.

=P


Says the guy that probably has no job, or is sitting at work trolling ffxiv forums all day
#18 Sep 30 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Default
****
6,898 posts
Diggtown wrote:
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
And by "logged on this morning" I mean, I waited for my fiance to leave for work (with her assuming I was on my way out as well), and then I ran back to the computer, cranked out a fishing leve (got to rank 4!!!), and missed a 9 o'clock meeting at work.


They have support groups for this, and I do believe pills, I think they can be found in the "I'm an idiot" aisle at your local grocery store.

=P


Says the guy that probably has no job, or is sitting at work trolling ffxiv forums all day


Assumptions are like assholes...
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#19 Sep 30 2010 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
742 posts
I make my own hours for work, and let's just say my hours have been.. dwindling as of late. Also, I'm currently feverishly trying to catch up on three weeks worth of homework from my college classes that I had intended to catch up on over the course of the last week... I pretty much entirely forgot it existed.

It doesn't help I'm still playing FFXI while I'm playing XIV.
____________________________
This is another bizarre and thankless situation you've gotten us in.
#20 Sep 30 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
I told my wife I loved her back on the 22nd and that Id see her in two years.
____________________________
MUTED
#21 Sep 30 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
thehellfire wrote:
I told my wife I loved her back on the 22nd and that Id see her in two years.


I told my wife way in advance that once the game came out, she wont know me for about 2 weeks lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#22 Sep 30 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
Oh the advantage of having a Wife who works in Transportation (Trucking)...

She was here this week and goes back to work tomorrow for five weeks, and I don't see her ONCE during that time.

The perfect set-up for the game-obsessed.
#23 Sep 30 2010 at 2:26 PM Rating: Default
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-GGmhdyqo
____________________________

#24 Sep 30 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,141 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
You know, I hate to be a spoil sport because I understand where you're coming from, but do you think it's really... uh, wise, to be setting yourself up for problems when there's 10% unemployment in the US?

FFXIV isn't really worth you losing your job or your fiancée because you just couldn't get enough mindless leves.


Ha, if I were worried about losing my job over missing the meeting, I wouldn't have missed the meeting. I'm an Elezen, not an idiot!
____________________________
Striveldt

FFXIV: Lancer, Fisher, Culinarian
FFXI: DRK 55, WAR 30, THF 27, DRG 27 (all retired)
WoW: Hunter 70, Warrior 29, Druid 26, Warlock 22, Shaman 19 (all retired)
EQII: Shadowknight 36 (retired)
#25 Sep 30 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Decent
Linking a you-tube video to explain your feelings of jealousy and ineptitude.

Witty, original, fantastic. Smiley: disappointed

It's obvious I was joking about the game obsession, considering I haven't been on the game the entire week she's been home. (Except to show her the nation intros as she was interested.)But I can't help but celebrate the personal freedom I've got for having a rather unique living arrangement.



Edited, Sep 30th 2010 4:49pm by Hyrist
#26 Sep 30 2010 at 2:52 PM Rating: Default
Ya, cause there's no possible way that I could be joking with that video.
____________________________

#27 Sep 30 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Nope, not at all.

There is no possible way that that could, in any way, seem joking.

It's only a video of comedy, after all. And that's srs business.
#28 Sep 30 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
158 posts
I can't even get addicted to this game, and I'm prone to addicting myself to stuff.

There's no appeal to it. FFXI had a quality to it that drew you in... this game does not, yet.

IMO, they need to revise & fix a lot of things over the next few months: I'm not spending any more time playing than what it takes to get the leves done.


update, XX minutes later:

nope, still not feeling it. I could play right now, but why bother?

Edited, Sep 30th 2010 9:32pm by ghosthacked
#29 Sep 30 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
Yeah same here. :( I was so excited too. Collector's edition and everything, I was so happy when it was time! And then... meh. I've logged in for one long session, and a few times since, but I really don't feel like it now. And I have nothing else to do, no homework right now or anything. But I'm not logging in, I'd rather watch TV. :(
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#30 Sep 30 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Hyrist, ****** Superhero wrote:
Oh the advantage of having a Wife who works in Transportation (Trucking)...

She was here this week and goes back to work tomorrow for five weeks, and I don't see her ONCE during that time.

The perfect set-up for the game-obsessed.


An better set-up: a wife with whom you always want to spend time (in-game or out).
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Sep 30 2010 at 8:50 PM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
I don't have a problem at all. I am from Vancouver BC and is currently working/living in Thailand. I have a Thai g/f and she LOVES it when I stay inside and play video games. Why? Because before FF14, I was heading out to a pub every night... haha.
____________________________
Check out my awesome adventure at http://fantaji.com/-/5Bc . If you don't know about Fantaji then you're missing out!
#32 Sep 30 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
I too am excited about the game and still "trying" to enjoy it. Every day is 1 step forward 2 steps back though. And as such I will continue complaining up a storm until most of it gets fixed.
____________________________

#33 Oct 01 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
**
342 posts
Quote:
Yeah same here. :( I was so excited too. Collector's edition and everything, I was so happy when it was time! And then... meh. I've logged in for one long session, and a few times since, but I really don't feel like it now. And I have nothing else to do, no homework right now or anything. But I'm not logging in, I'd rather watch TV. :(


This morning before work I was doing a jigsaw puzzle. My wife poked her head in and said "Fourteen is that bad, huh?" I didn't think she was that astute but she nailed it. :/
#34 Oct 01 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
246 posts
ghosthacked wrote:
I can't even get addicted to this game, and I'm prone to addicting myself to stuff.

There's no appeal to it. FFXI had a quality to it that drew you in... this game does not, yet.

IMO, they need to revise & fix a lot of things over the next few months: I'm not spending any more time playing than what it takes to get the leves done.


update, XX minutes later:

nope, still not feeling it. I could play right now, but why bother?

Edited, Sep 30th 2010 9:32pm by ghosthacked


FFXI in particular had a "prestige" to it, because immediately we were introduced to a battle between the Beastmen vs Humes/Elvaans/Tarus/Mithra. There was also the element of a royal family, the muskateers, and a grand summoner.

In my opinion this established a heirarchy and clear cut definition of a struggle between good & evil.

{Spoilers]










What am I doing in Limsa Lominsa or Ul'Dah? In LL I'm on the look out because some fishmen are attacking the muskateers? Or in Ul'Dah the sons & daughters of the noble families are collaberating together?

These things don't draw you in. All of the cutscenes are pretty much just your character overhearing rumors and heresay. There aren't any clearly defined events that threaten or endanger our lives or cause us to take action, and because of that we can go about your business without feeling an epic journey about to happen. It's just bland storyline (so far) in my opinion.

All I know is I'm missing Prince Trion! I liked walking into San D'Oria for the first time and basically being told I was a good for nothing adventurer and need to sign up as a scrub with the gatewarden who barked orders at me and treated me like crap... until I proved myself worthy of better.
#35 Oct 01 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
You'll find at least the beginning of your purpose at the rank 20 cutscenes.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)