Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SE better have some endgame content ready.....Follow

#1 Oct 01 2010 at 8:07 AM Rating: Sub-Default
**
548 posts
From my MMO experience, I would venture to say that the FFXI community had the largest contingent of players which I would consider "hardcore". Very knowledgeable, dedicated, ravenous players that would tear through and dissect any new content / new boss / new level cap / merit point system that SE could throw at them (except for AV of course).

Here in FFXIV, I'm seeing a similar level of dedication. On my server, a core group of my LS mates are all around Rank 27-28 in their main adventuring jobs. Unless the leveling curve or fatigue system catches up to them, or unless there's some kind of idiotic level cap system in which you have to perform a series of quests and fight Maat again to level up, or unless there is some other artificial barriers in place to impede their progress, I foresee this group hitting max level inside of two (2) weeks.

What's the highest Rank adventurer you've seen so far in your travels through Eorzea? Does anyone have any inkling of what endgame activities are out there?

I know there's tons of opportunities to develop your character horizontally (i.e. level other jobs, crafting, harvesting, etc.) but some players couldn't care less about that stuff and need endgame adventuring content to keep them subscribed and vested in a game.

In FFXI I felt that SE always underestimated how insanely dedicated this community really is. They would release these mini-xpacs that they thought were jam packed with weeks worth of content and the community would complete the content inside of 24 hours (on multiple toons).
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Oct 01 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
53 posts
DonFlamenco wrote:
From my MMO experience, I would venture to say that the FFXI community had the largest contingent of players which I would consider "hardcore". Very knowledgeable, dedicated, ravenous players that would tear through and dissect any new content / new boss / new level cap / merit point system that SE could throw at them (except for AV of course).

Here in FFXIV, I'm seeing a similar level of dedication. On my server, a core group of my LS mates are all around Rank 27-28 in their main adventuring jobs. Unless the leveling curve or fatigue system catches up to them, or unless there's some kind of idiotic level cap system in which you have to perform a series of quests and fight Maat again to level up, or unless there is some other artificial barriers in place to impede their progress, I foresee this group hitting max level inside of two (2) weeks.

What's the highest Rank adventurer you've seen so far in your travels through Eorzea? Does anyone have any inkling of what endgame activities are out there?

I know there's tons of opportunities to develop your character horizontally (i.e. level other jobs, crafting, harvesting, etc.) but some players couldn't care less about that stuff and need endgame adventuring content to keep them subscribed and vested in a game.

In FFXI I felt that SE always underestimated how insanely dedicated this community really is. They would release these mini-xpacs that they thought were jam packed with weeks worth of content and the community would complete the content inside of 24 hours (on multiple toons).



It's not the destination
#3 Oct 01 2010 at 8:27 AM Rating: Excellent
DonFlamenco wrote:
From my MMO experience, I would venture to say that the FFXI community had the largest contingent of players which I would consider "hardcore". Very knowledgeable, dedicated, ravenous players that would tear through and dissect any new content / new boss / new level cap / merit point system that SE could throw at them (except for AV of course) . . . In FFXI I felt that SE always underestimated how insanely dedicated this community really is. They would release these mini-xpacs that they thought were jam packed with weeks worth of content and the community would complete the content inside of 24 hours (on multiple toons).

From my experience, these were the players who were the least happy while playing FFXI. The point of any real MMORPG is not to "beat the game," as these people act like. It's to explore the game, accomplishing things as you go, and enjoying several different aspects of the game. Also, the "mini-xpacs" didn't really have "content." There was a short storyline for the first three. A very few did complete that within a day or two. Most people did take weeks or even months to complete the final fights. The non-mini expansions mostly took a lot longer. I'm sure there were exceptions, but again: If you completed everything as fast as possible, you had the wrong purpose in mind for playing an MMORPG.

I knew at least one person while playing FFXI who joined an "end-game" LS for FFXIV before beta even started. Most of us who knew of this just laughed and shook our heads at the absurdity of that.

DonFlamenco wrote:
Here in FFXIV, I'm seeing a similar level of dedication. On my server, a core group of my LS mates are all around Rank 27-28 in their main adventuring jobs. Unless the leveling curve or fatigue system catches up to them, or unless there's some kind of idiotic level cap system in which you have to perform a series of quests and fight Maat again to level up, or unless there is some other artificial barriers in place to impede their progress, I foresee this group hitting max level inside of two (2) weeks.

I honestly don't think you will be able to hit Rank 50 within two weeks; physical level 50 is possible. The surplus system will likely catch up to you. Even if you do, you will have a very 1-dimensional character that's not really ready for "end-game" content. You need the abilities from other classes to at least give you options. And, there may not be gear for those levels. If you do nothing but level straight to 50, you won't be making your own gear, and you won't have the gil to buy the gear. The highest level gear I've seen so far is level 25-30, and each piece is going for around 150-300K each. And I've seen that in maybe 2-3 bazaars/retainers. So, people trying to reach the cap within two weeks, I predict, will be quitting before their free trial is up.

sadris wrote:
It's not the destination
QFT
____________________________
FFXIV: Luthien Tinuviel, Elezen Female, Balmug (And will re-roll on a new server in August)
FFXI: Luthian, Elvaan Female, Bismarck (originally Luthien on Seraph):
85RDM | 80WAR | 76DRG
lolgaxe+1 wrote:
I've always been of the opinion that Warrior was the Swiss Army Knife of Vana'diel.
#4 Oct 01 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Decent
**
548 posts
Quote:
I honestly don't think you will be able to hit Rank 50 within two weeks; physical level 50 is possible. The surplus system will likely catch up to you. Even if you do, you will have a very 1-dimensional character that's not really ready for "end-game" content. You need the abilities from other classes to at least give you options. And, there may not be gear for those levels.


I'll revisit this thread in two (2) weeks to see if anyone is Rank 50 yet...my $$$ is on yes. Very good point about being a 1-dimensional toon though with no adaptability to various endgame activities.

Quote:
If you do nothing but level straight to 50, you won't be making your own gear, and you won't have the gil to buy the gear. The highest level gear I've seen so far is level 25-30, and each piece is going for around 150-300K each. And I've seen that in maybe 2-3 bazaars/retainers.


Yeah, I've seen some fanatical crafters too though, and when your LS has hardcore crafters and hardcore adventurers working together, the economic issues dissolve.

Quote:
So, people trying to reach the cap within two weeks, I predict, will be quitting before their free trial is up.


This is my major fear. I personally am enjoying the scenic route and in no particular hurry. That being said, I want the game to succeed and endure, and I sincerely hope that SE has some brilliant time sink set up for endgame adventurers and crafters that are sprinting there as we speak.

____________________________
MUTED
#5 Oct 01 2010 at 9:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
My only hope to this is that SE releases an intentionally unbeatable high level mob that doesn't necessarily one shot everyone, but draws the fight out for 8-10 hours and still can't be defeated. That would keep end game linkshells busy for years, complaining about how it can't be defeated (see AV), or they would keep trying over and over again with every zerg strategy they can think of (see Kirin).

Either way, it would be fun to take a break from leveling/questing (please SE introduces some quests) to sit back and watch lvl 50's die in fun and exciting ways from a mob that takes up 99% of the screen.
#6 Oct 01 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Excellent
*
107 posts
In my experience, the people I knew who rushed to end game are never really happy with any of the games they play. Their complaint is usually the same, "there's not enough content in this game. I'm bored with it already".
____________________________
FFXI Hazero, Elvan PLD, retiered.
CoV, King Ghidora, Dominator retired
AoC, Mecha Ghidora, Dark Templar retired
Tabula Rasa, Super King, Grenadier retired
SWG, Hazero Ghidora, retired
DCUO, Crushlordian Earth Tank Retired
#7 Oct 01 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,041 posts
You can either love SE or hate SE but they're very smart with staggering content in their MMOs.
#8 Oct 01 2010 at 9:26 AM Rating: Excellent
**
845 posts
there is no end game content yet, **** we cant even have a second retainer or ride a chocobo yet do you really think there is end game content? If so you are fooling yourself.
____________________________

#9 Oct 01 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
*
147 posts
lol, endgame in 2 weeks?
why do folks insist on doing this?

if i was SE i would remove any endgame content just to **** em off lol
#10 Oct 01 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
153 posts
Ishgard is still closed. They won't be able to take any higher leve's for the time being, but they could be grinding. TBH, I hit surplus at rank 17 so I'm not sure how people are rank 20+ already.
____________________________
FFXI :Fenrir / Gael / 75 THF
FFXIV : Figaro / Devan Glasio / XX Conj
My Conjurer Guide
Small Durability and Optimal Rank Guide
#11 Oct 01 2010 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
xGaelx wrote:
Ishgard is still closed. They won't be able to take any higher leve's for the time being, but they could be grinding. TBH, I hit surplus at rank 17 so I'm not sure how people are rank 20+ already.


Yeah me too. I can see level 20-24 - but 27? Do these people sleep? I guess if I hadn't leveled crafting or gathering at all I could be at rank 21-22 now with Con, but I don't see how they could have ground through surplus to 27 already.

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 9:15am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#12 Oct 01 2010 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Square have said over and over what they wanted with this game, it's not even aimed at hardcore FFXI type players. I honestly think many ex FFXI endgame players are buying into 14 hoping it will turn into FFXI mk2 and I honestly don't see it happening, I think they will eventually just quit in a huff when the writing was on the wall all along. I doubt the endgame content when it comes will be of the level of old FFXI type events, i think it will be a lot lower tier akin to WoW instances or Abysea NM type content honestly and I would welcome that. As in endgame content aimed at everyone and not the few % of endgamers as happened on XI.
____________________________
BANNED
#13 Oct 01 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
**
412 posts
I thought SE said there will be end game content for both casual and hardcore.
There's definitely the potential for some interesting battles. ****, I've had some serious fun with the monstrous crabs and only 200 hp left. Very fun stuff.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#14 Oct 01 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
327 posts
Surplus hit first week for people at around 84k skill points. Supposing that 84k is constant, and depending on sp/hour (these guys are fast), fatigue for week 2 should hit around 23. Now both weeks could have had extra grinding involved, but it probably also involved a heavy amount of unecessary buffing/curing, if you know what I mean. ;)

With fatigue dependant on sp/hour, I don't see any other way to be hitting 28/29 yet.

And as people said above, take your time and enjoy the ride. I'd be surprised to see end game before the ps3 release.
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#15 Oct 01 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts

This happens with every game at release...

A few people are STILL stupid enough to race to the end-game, even though these are the same people who have had the same problem with every game.

They race to the end, forsaking the idea of having a real life, and when they reach the end along a very small % of the population they whine that they are all alone and there is nothing to do.

BOO ******' HOO. Get a life. And stop repeating the same stupid mistakes.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#16 Oct 01 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
300 posts
I'd say slow down. I decided to level every job like SE wanted us to do. (Or at least several, not all). Botanist 14, Miner 15, Lancer 15, and about 5 jobs to level 10. I'm enjoying the game. People that are rushing are pretty much killing themselves. Once you hit 50 you're gonna wish you leveled about 3 crafting jobs because repairing that gear is going to be insanely retarded and or expensive at the NPC. Plus all the abilities from the other jobs. You can have a beastly main character.
#17 Oct 01 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Good
rfolkker wrote:
My only hope to this is that SE releases an intentionally unbeatable high level mob that doesn't necessarily one shot everyone, but draws the fight out for 8-10 hours and still can't be defeated. That would keep end game linkshells busy for years, complaining about how it can't be defeated (see AV), or they would keep trying over and over again with every zerg strategy they can think of (see Kirin).

Either way, it would be fun to take a break from leveling/questing (please SE introduces some quests) to sit back and watch lvl 50's die in fun and exciting ways from a mob that takes up 99% of the screen.


This made me lol, rate up Smiley: laugh

Olorinus the Vile wrote:
xGaelx wrote:
Ishgard is still closed. They won't be able to take any higher leve's for the time being, but they could be grinding. TBH, I hit surplus at rank 17 so I'm not sure how people are rank 20+ already.


Yeah me too. I can see level 20-24 - but 27? Do these people sleep? I guess if I hadn't leveled crafting or gathering at all I could be at rank 21-22 now with Con, but I don't see how they could have ground through surplus to 27 already.

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 9:15am by Olorinus


Was crafting in Ul'dah last night and saw someone ding rank 27 Blacksmith...I'm guessing sleeping and eating are secondary concerns at the moment.

Slapaho wrote:
I'd say slow down. I decided to level every job like SE wanted us to do. (Or at least several, not all). Botanist 14, Miner 15, Lancer 15, and about 5 jobs to level 10. I'm enjoying the game. People that are rushing are pretty much killing themselves. Once you hit 50 you're gonna wish you leveled about 3 crafting jobs because repairing that gear is going to be insanely retarded and or expensive at the NPC. Plus all the abilities from the other jobs. You can have a beastly main character.


I went this route too and I am having a great time. I like having multiple crafts ranked so when someone in the LS asks "Who can make/fix this?" I can usually say "I can" Smiley: nod
#18 Oct 01 2010 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
216 posts
FFXIV doesn't even have low level content. I doubt they'll have end-game.
#19 Oct 01 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Tell the people in your LS to get jobs. Real ones. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________

<Pikko> /wrists now while you can still see through your tears!
Friar Whoads wrote:
Also, everyone knows that =60 is more dangerous than the OoT and Asylum combined. People have gone mad in here. The admins need to come back everyday to make sure that we haven't put a hole in the internets, or x/0, or something like that.

#20 Oct 01 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
*
82 posts
KingGhidora wrote:
In my experience, the people I knew who rushed to end game are never really happy with any of the games they play. Their complaint is usually the same, "there's not enough content in this game. I'm bored with it already".


I learned this first hand from Aion. I was server first cleric 50 and it was a drag waiting for people to catch up. Stopped logging in for weeks. When I came back and a lot of people hit cap, it was fun again.
#21 Oct 01 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Default
**
548 posts
Quote:
FFXIV doesn't even have low level content. I doubt they'll have end-game.


That's funny; I laughed out loud.

Personally, I'm a 10 CON and 10 THM, haven't even started crafting or harvesting, and I think I've logged entirely too much time in FFXIV over the last week or so. I've never seen such a ravenous and manic fan base. I guess it's a good thing that there is a hardcore contingent willing to beta test certain content that the rest of the community won't see for months. I just hope they don't lose interest and abandon ship.

Server firsts are cool......but server seconds and thirds are pretty cool too, and you can still spend time in natural sunlight to get them.

Pot: "I have a Rank 27 Archer"

Kettle: "You must have no life. I've leveled four adventuring jobs to rank 17, four crafting jobs to rank 14, and two harvesting jobs to rank 20. You play too much."

____________________________
MUTED
#22 Oct 01 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
DonFlamenco wrote:
I foresee this group hitting max level inside of two (2) weeks.


I appreciate the clarification here. Had you said "they will hit the max level in two weeks," I would have been like "What the **** is he saying? Does he mean 'two' as in the number two? If he does, what does that number look like?" It's the same reason my analog clocks are so large: to fit all the words beneath the numbers.

DonFlamenco wrote:
toons


Sorry but... instant rate-down. XD
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#23 Oct 01 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
*
154 posts
DonFlamenco wrote:
Unless the leveling curve or fatigue system catches up to them, or unless there's some kind of idiotic level cap system in which you have to perform a series of quests and fight Maat again to level up...


I can't wait to fight Maat as FSH. Stone throwing contest, go!
____________________________
Shinalia Wynne Durstian, boat addict, poker of taru and lalafel.

FFXI: Kujata Server (I'm NOT in denial, really!)
Rank 10 Windurstian
FFXIV: Besaid Server Shinalia Durstian
#24 Oct 01 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Shinalia wrote:
DonFlamenco wrote:
Unless the leveling curve or fatigue system catches up to them, or unless there's some kind of idiotic level cap system in which you have to perform a series of quests and fight Maat again to level up...


I can't wait to fight Maat as FSH. Stone throwing contest, go!


Or maybe it'll be like those two brothers in San d'Oria... but real. o_o
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)