Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Regarding server closingsFollow

#1 Oct 01 2010 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
339 posts
I'm finding it rather upsetting that when a good friend of mine tried to start a character on the server I have been playing on since the CE release, he finds it to be not listed.

Ok, I can see why they might do this, but here is my point.

I paid $35 to play this game a week early. Now, in order for us to play together as planned, I must ask him to wait an undetermined period of time to actually play the game that he has already purchased and installed.

Or, I could completely negate the reason for picking up the CE, waste my $35, and roll on another lesser populated server.

Does anyone see the problem here? They should have implemented a worldpass if they had planned to close servers to the public.

Oh, and to those of you who offer the solution for my friend to wait... Yeah. OK. If you had the option to click 'Play' and the option to sit and wait for some undetermined timeframe - which would you insist on doing?

Unacceptable.

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 11:15am by Alabazman
____________________________
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
#2 Oct 01 2010 at 9:17 AM Rating: Decent
It's not like SE is the first MMO developer to close worlds in order to balance the population distribution. It's necessary. They launched the game with multiple world servers specifically because one wasn't going to be enough to hold everyone. This isn't SE's fault. You're a fool if you think for half a second you can blame SE. Now you know better, and the next time you start a new MMO and plan to start with a friend, start at the same time.
#3 Oct 01 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Default
**
339 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
It's not like SE is the first MMO developer to close worlds in order to balance the population distribution. It's necessary. They launched the game with multiple world servers specifically because one wasn't going to be enough to hold everyone. This isn't SE's fault. You're a fool if you think for half a second you can blame SE. Now you know better, and the next time you start a new MMO and plan to start with a friend, start at the same time.


You're wrong. Most MMO's don't offer to sell you an early week for $35. Perhaps my friend didn't have said extra $35 to spend.

As I said, would have been easily solved by closing the server to the public, but offing those of us ALREADY on the server to offer some code to unlock it for a new player. We all know they they've though of this before...

Asside from that fact, when choosing whether or not to get the CE or SE, who on earth would think to include the factor of 'Well maybe SE will be preventing players from making a character on a specific server, so maybe I should not get the CE to combat that'.

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 11:22am by Alabazman
____________________________
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
#4 Oct 01 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
I actually agree with the OP. They should have implemented a world pass for situations like his.
____________________________
http://www.pbpmap.com/ - play by post rpgs at their best!


#5 Oct 01 2010 at 9:24 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Servers have maximum caps, they can't just let it keep on filling up. If they allow too many it bogs everyone else down. Have to set a limit somewhere, if it mattered that much then either wait till the initial burst of "omg its new" players die down (which will probably take a month or two, at which point all the servers will probably re-open) or pick another server to restart on. If I had someone that I really wanted to play the game with I would of either talked them into getting the CE too or waited 1 week, guess some people are too impatient or their friends arent that important to them.

Games always have a huge rush of players at the start which dies down some, give it some time or restart, not like you are really going to lose that much losing 1 weeks griding.
____________________________
BANNED
#6 Oct 01 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Default
**
339 posts
preludes wrote:
Servers have maximum caps, they can't just let it keep on filling up. If they allow too many it bogs everyone else down. Have to set a limit somewhere, if it mattered that much then either wait till the initial burst of "omg its new" players die down (which will probably take a month or two, at which point all the servers will probably re-open) or pick another server to restart on. If I had someone that I really wanted to play the game with I would of either talked them into getting the CE too or waited 1 week, guess some people are too impatient or their friends arent that important to them.

Games always have a huge rush of players at the start which dies down some, give it some time or restart, not like you are really going to lose that much losing 1 weeks griding.


See that's what I mean. That's complete BS. If I reroll I basically lose $35 and a week's worth of time playing. Completely unacceptable. Again, worldpass would have solved the problem of random people choosing the server at creation, but give friends an ability to join you.
____________________________
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
#7 Oct 01 2010 at 9:33 AM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
Alabazman wrote:

Unacceptable.

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 11:15am by Alabazman


Agreed. :(


____________________________
#8 Oct 01 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Its amazing how fast they closed servers. I think they're doing it for balance rather than for stability/server load. But there should really be a world pass option. Having servers closed on "official release day" is weak.
____________________________


#9 Oct 01 2010 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
119 posts
This reminds me of Aion lol. 3 months from now there will be complaints of dead/empty servers.
#10 Oct 01 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
*
204 posts
I agree, there should be some kind of world pass to let friends onto the same server.

I don't even care about losing my week of progress (although I've done rather well so far), but how am I supposed to convince 10 other friends who already started with the CE to switch with me for a couple friends who got the SE? Either way I'm likely to lose someone.
____________________________
The More You Know 三☆
#11 Oct 01 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
Our linkshell started on Selbina but quickly saw how the server was filling up faster than others. We went ahead and bailed before getting too far and started up on Palmacia where population was much lower...hence making it easier for our buddies with SE to come on in.

Pays to think ahead...right?

Maybe you need to figure out whats more important...your character who is week old..or hanging with your friend on a new server. Its one week out of how many years you may end up playing this game.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#12 Oct 01 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
See that's what I mean. That's complete BS. If I reroll I basically lose $35 and a week's worth of time playing. Completely unacceptable. Again, worldpass would have solved the problem of random people choosing the server at creation, but give friends an ability to join you.


You paid the extra to experience the game 7 days before others, the only way your PoV makes any sense is if this game to you is a race and you must be better than the normies..also even in that regard 1 weeks playing is nothing at all as people will still overtake you soon enough. To me I would much rather be able to play with a friend than worry about getting a 1 weeks headstart on everyone else.

Either restart or tell your friend to keep trying because people will start quitting after the rosy period ends as happens on every game, they can't and won't do what you are complaing about because it would cause so much disruption to the server.
____________________________
BANNED
#13 Oct 01 2010 at 10:21 AM Rating: Good
*
203 posts
To be fair, you receive a Buddy Pass with the CE that you could have given to him to get him started early as well. The buddy pass is essentially a full retail key, and even if it wasn't, any game that gives buddy pass/free trial type things includes some way to use a regular retail key to upgrade the account and keep the progress you made during the trial.
#14 Oct 01 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Alabazman wrote:


See that's what I mean. That's complete BS. If I reroll I basically lose $35 and a week's worth of time playing. Completely unacceptable. Again, worldpass would have solved the problem of random people choosing the server at creation, but give friends an ability to join you.


Unfortunately world pass at this point would make it impossible for SE to control overpopulated servers. I hate to say it but you really should have researched which servers were the least popular before choosing one. Rab for example, still has room - but the LS I am in deliberately chose a low-population server to roll in.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Oct 01 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
46 posts
SE is just implementing the Friend Test. Will he wait, or will you restart?

But really, you should have seen this coming a mile away and chosen the lowest population server. That's what I did and my friends joined me last night.
#16 Oct 01 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Default
**
339 posts
Quote:
You paid the extra to experience the game 7 days before others, the only way your PoV makes any sense is if this game to you is a race and you must be better than the normies


Again, this is wrong. I also PAYED $35 extra dollers to play the game a week early. So that point is invalid.

I'd reroll right now if SE gave me my $35 back. I'd gladly give this PoS journal back as well. The only thing I was interested in was the map, which NE version didn't get.

So yeah.
____________________________
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
#17 Oct 01 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
Is your friend worth $35 (minus a really awesome journal amiright?!)
#18 Oct 01 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
24 posts
I'm unable to sign up on my linkshell's server also. I get that CE people got first choice but SE should have been prepared for this to happen. Why aren't free server transfers available at launch? They should have enabled a buddy pass system at least.
#19 Oct 01 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
Alabazman wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
It's not like SE is the first MMO developer to close worlds in order to balance the population distribution. It's necessary. They launched the game with multiple world servers specifically because one wasn't going to be enough to hold everyone. This isn't SE's fault. You're a fool if you think for half a second you can blame SE. Now you know better, and the next time you start a new MMO and plan to start with a friend, start at the same time.


You're wrong. Most MMO's don't offer to sell you an early week for $35. Perhaps my friend didn't have said extra $35 to spend.


Then maybe you should have waited if you knew he couldn't afford the CE. It was YOUR oversight that created the issue, not SE's. World passes just ***** up their efforts to try and balance the population. People are already complaining about lag and queues. Letting people bring their friends into an already packed server is not a bright idea.
#20Shneibel, Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 12:40 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) balanced server is a BS crap. In the end, the only thing they do is slow down ppl to meet with friend or re-join the old clan. Why i say it slow down ppl ? because after the the supence is over, ppl will move to the popular server anyway, so why bother with that ?
#21 Oct 01 2010 at 12:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Games at release have a really bloated player population, quite a large chunk wont carry on past the first few months, thats just how it is. So they have to be a lot tighter with the reigns at the begining or they will cause serious lag issues.

Once the game settles down to it's normal playerbase they can implement stuff like worldpasses etc but no way they would do it at the start, thats retarded.
____________________________
BANNED
#22 Oct 01 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
say that to the ppl that buy the NE and cant join with friend or their clan, also why do ppl care since they are inready in the game and with the server where their friend/clan play already anyway ?
#23 Oct 01 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Liste nyou cant cram 20k people into a server that is sized for 5k. Your friend should have paid the 30 dollars for server choice like the rest of us.
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Oct 01 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
i pay 35$ for that and now i cant join with my clan, how about that ?
#25 Oct 01 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Rab for example, still has room - but the LS I am in deliberately chose a low-population server to roll in.


Lulz. 203 people ahead of me to get on the server, and I've been waiting 15 minutes.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#26 Oct 01 2010 at 1:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Alabazman wrote:
Quote:
You paid the extra to experience the game 7 days before others, the only way your PoV makes any sense is if this game to you is a race and you must be better than the normies


Again, this is wrong. I also PAYED $35 extra dollers to play the game a week early. So that point is invalid.

I'd reroll right now if SE gave me my $35 back. I'd gladly give this PoS journal back as well. The only thing I was interested in was the map, which NE version didn't get.

So yeah.



Actually you paid $35 extra dollars for:
Early access to the game. This does not always = playing the game a week early, but you got both in this case.
SE Security Token
Journal
DVD
Rite of Passage
Onion Helm
Which of these did you not receive that makes you feel SE should give you any money back?

Servers become full. That's really just how an MMO works. That you bought the CE and your friend the SE is kind of irrelevant. What if you were having this issue a year from now? What if you bought the game the last week of March '11, and your friend joined the first week of April and your server became full?

If you really want to play with your friend, your choice is pretty clear. Reroll, or wait indefinitely. In the grand scheme of things, a week of playing an MMO is nothing.
#27 Oct 01 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
Question: has Gysahl been officially locked or is it just not available til room opens up as I experienced when I first made my char a few days ago. It didnt list Gysahl, then the next day it did and I was able to get into the Server.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#28 Oct 01 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
94 posts
I didnt think so many people would be against the OP's view. SE should care more about letting friends to play on the same server. Most FF player are always touting the "community" of the game but when someone cant get their friend on the same server thats their fault?

If Se just made someone submit an request to a closed server I think all the issues would be resolved. Most would say ***** that and start on a different server. There are a lot of linkshells that are transferring over and Se is just hindering that.
#29 Oct 01 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Gysal server is avaiable atm, according to the news, you have a chance to make char to a server that being supence after peak time is over or so they say:

Character creation on certain Worlds is suspended temporarily due to congestion in certain areas.

The current situation is as follows:

-Character creation will be suspended temporarily when the number of characters in a town and its peripheral area or the log-in population on a World exceeds a certain amount.

-The number of Chocobos next to the World name shows the level of congestion.

-Even if there is a low number of Chocobos, character creation will be suspended temporarily when the population on a World exceeds a certain amount as mentioned above.

-The suspension will be lifted when the congestion eases up.

-Regarding a World with heavy congestion, the suspension will be lifted after a while after congestion eased up.

-Even if the log-in population is small, the suspension will last for a while if other time slots experience congestion.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
#30 Oct 01 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Don't try to question the almighty in the face of the zealots.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#31 Oct 01 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
a few more server aviable, to creater char , Selbina is also avaiable, just not lindblum
#32 Oct 01 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Wint wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Rab for example, still has room - but the LS I am in deliberately chose a low-population server to roll in.


Lulz. 203 people ahead of me to get on the server, and I've been waiting 15 minutes.


That's never happened before though. I'm guessing it is because we are getting filled to capacity with SE since we were one of the few servers left open.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#33 Oct 01 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
106 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Liste nyou cant cram 20k people into a server that is sized for 5k. Your friend should have paid the 30 dollars for server choice like the rest of us.

Awesome argument, except there were server closures on the day of the CE release too. A World Pass would solve all problems. It eliminates the random players and lets new players join their friends that already happen to be playing. If they would have had a World Pass implemented before the servers opened they could have capped them at 3-4,000 to allow room for people to invite their friends if they were expecting the WP to be used that much.

Unless you honestly think that every single player is going to buy three World Passes for their friends and instantly increase the server population to 20,000. Then I see your point.

Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Servers become full. That's really just how an MMO works. That you bought the CE and your friend the SE is kind of irrelevant. What if you were having this issue a year from now? What if you bought the game the last week of March '11, and your friend joined the first week of April and your server became full?

Well, if it was 2002 and he was playing XI then he could just buy a World Pass. There wouldn't be an issue. But since he is playing XIV nine years later I guess they would be screwed. So by your logic we shouldn't try to encourage any of our friends to start playing unless we want to start over when they do?

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 1:10pm by Nainz
____________________________
FFXIV: Nimoy Riese / Hyperion
FFXI: Nimoy / Pandemonium
#34 Oct 01 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
167 posts
What servers are still open? I'm not going to be playing until two weeks from now. I just hope I can join up with friends then.
#35 Oct 01 2010 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Kashuan, Melmond, Saronia, Fabul, Bodhum, Palamecia, Istory, Cornelia, Selbina, Figaro, Wutai, Mysidia, Gyshal, Rabanestre. Almost all just not lindblum

Havent do much so far but keep check on the server to be avaiable

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 5:05pm by Shneibel
#36 Oct 01 2010 at 3:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
167 posts
Shneibel wrote:
Kashuan, Melmond, Saronia, Fabul, Bodhum, Palamecia, Istory, Cornelia, Selbina, Figaro, Wutai, Mysidia, Gyshal, Rabanestre. Almost all just not lindblum

Havent do much so far but keep check on the server to be avaiable

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 5:05pm by Shneibel


So Trabia is closed? That is the server I'm looking for, but hopefully 2 weeks from now stuff will be stable enough.
#37 Oct 01 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Dont get your hopes up these will only stay up briefly
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Oct 01 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
*
169 posts
cant belive that MMO nowday have a new mini game "SERVER HUNT" just like we dont hunt monster enough ig already -.-"
#39 Oct 01 2010 at 3:16 PM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Well if youd bought the CE youd be in your home of choice, if not wait 6 months when they offer transfers (at your expense of course)
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Oct 01 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
6 months is thetime i plan to play this game, major i wait for Tera to come out, so move away from NCsoft and try the FF ppl talk about, how should i say....a very not enjoyable exp with SE, bonus item is nothing but TRASH, it take max some H for the effect on bonus cant be use, but i do enjoy the temo cup, its quality isnt top but its ok and the notebook

edit : trabia is aviable also

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 5:26pm by Shneibel
#41 Oct 01 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
2,869 posts
1) I do agree that S-E should have had a better solution for this, especially because they DID address this issue well in XI (Gold World Passes). They should have used their knowledge from their 8+ year MMO experience here to reduce this problem (but they're proving to not be doing that in many areas, which is quite disappointing to me). ****, even SELL a world pass for $10 to people who are already on that world to let them get their friends into their server. At least give someone who really wants to help a friend get in and play with them an option, even if it's not free.

2) Servers DO reopen, and they have been doing so consistently since CE launch. I installed XIV on CE launch night in the evening Pacific time, and Figaro (where all my friends decided to go) was already closed. It reopened later that night. It has closed and re-opened several times now. My wife got in last Friday night, deleted her character to redo her appearance, and in that 5-10 minutes she was redoing her character Figaro closed again. She was then locked out until Monday when she finally saw it re-opened, but she did get back in. Remain patient and you may get into whatever server you want. Nobody really knows S-E's conditions for re-opening though, maybe they just reopen the more full ones as the open worlds fill up more and get within a certain population of the more full ones

3) This is one of the issues with people choosing a popular server. I was strongly against choosing Figaro, as I knew it would be popular just because it is a beloved city from a popular FF game. But I got outvoted by a whole linkshell, so I had to choose to either go with Figaro where all my XI friends were going, or go to another server where I wouldn't know anyone. I'm worried about our several friends who aren't starting XIV yet (some not until PS3 launch), and I wish there was a way I could help them out (e.g. World Pass if a server becomes closed to the public).

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 5:32pm by Anza
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#42 Oct 01 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
unfortunally, I am in the 3) of your, my clan play at lindblum...

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 5:35pm by Shneibel
#43 Oct 01 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
What did you expect?
The best judgment of future performance is past performance. If you never played or heard of FFXI I understand your frustration, but the Japanese cannot run network infrastructure to save their lives as we all seen in FFXI. As per the law of the land “Respect for Grrrandfather” prevents them from outsourcing their network infrastructure to anyone who has knowledge on running one.

Seriously, name one popular network service invented by the Japanese. Their too dam proud, and using history as an example, there’s really not much to be proud of. Get with it SE!
#44 Oct 01 2010 at 4:15 PM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Well this talk of world passes is BS. Yes they were offered by SE but not at launch. If your gonna ragequit over a full server go ahead, that frees a slot for someone who does want to play
____________________________
MUTED
#45 Oct 01 2010 at 4:42 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
257 posts
for ppl saying about a world pass, take this extreme example.

1 person from a ls on xi gets on a server, they get a world pass for all (lets say) 25 ls members.

This happens with all 2k ppl on the server, thats 25 x 2,000 which would be 50,000 people all trying to get on the same server.

you therefore have 50,000 ppl trying to log onto a server designed for 5k ppl.

So the question really is do you want to stand in a queue of 45,000 people to play after you made your char.

You would just blame SE bc you cant play, the only solution is closing the servers until conjestion calms down.

Also during the origanal JP release of ffxi they didnt have world passes NA got it 18 months after Japan this game has been out a lil over 1 week, thats like 17 months 3 weeks more time to optimise servers etc so the fact that xi had world passes is a useless argument.

You CANNOT compare this games release to the US or EU release of xi because of the differance in time. Beleave it or not the world is alot bigger than just US.
____________________________
FFXI (Long since retired)
Delsus
Server: Cerberus

FFXIV
Delsus Highwind
Server: Ragnarok
#46 Oct 01 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
Where can I find information on what servers are currently closed? Is there a way to see total server population?
#47 Oct 02 2010 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
1 post
scrish wrote:
for ppl saying about a world pass, take this extreme example.


Why would we take an extreme, implausible example? If you have to resort to worst case scenario "what ifs" then you have no legitimate argument.

scrish wrote:
1 person from a ls on xi gets on a server, they get a world pass for all (lets say) 25 ls members.

This happens with all 2k ppl on the server, thats 25 x 2,000 which would be 50,000 people all trying to get on the same server.


Limit a world pass to one per person. That's the problem with extreme examples; they are normally refuted without any real effort.

scrish wrote:
So the question really is do you want to stand in a queue of 45,000 people to play after you made your char.


No, the real question is why didn't Square Enix plan for this better based on pre-order sales and create a situation where people didn't have to wait days (or longer) to play on the same servers as their friends. All they had to do was import FFXI's method and the problem would have solved itself.

scrish wrote:
Also during the origanal JP release of ffxi they didnt have world passes NA got it 18 months after Japan this game has been out a lil over 1 week, thats like 17 months 3 weeks more time to optimise servers etc so the fact that xi had world passes is a useless argument.


You're assuming a correlation between world passes and server stabilization. What use are world passes if servers have stabilized? Why restrict people from joining what server they please at that point? You just don't know what you're talking about.

scrish wrote:
You CANNOT compare this games release to the US or EU release of xi because of the differance in time. Beleave it or not the world is alot bigger than just US.


Believe it or not, but time difference in release has nothing to do with organizing server populations at the outset of an MMO launch. And nice side swipe at the US at the end there. Are you a self-hating American liberal or are you just another jealous Frenchie enjoying your 35 hour work week after having the whole month of August to live off the hard work of your business elite?



SE should have instituted random server selection at character creation with the option of a buddy pass to join friends. This would have broken up or prevented large super-guilds from joining so quickly and would have fostered the joining of small groups of friends who actually know each other in real life. At this point, SE should start offering transfers away from high population servers and allowing single use world passes for each account. There's no excuse for such a poor handling of the initial launch situation.

Take my example. I really want to join the server that my wife has been playing on for a week with her guild and our other friends. I couldn't join in the initial launch of the game because I was out of the country for a week and didn't have a crystal ball to see that SE was going to pull something like this. What was I supposed to do? Magically see into the future? Instead my "free" trial time is ticking away and there's no option for me to join my wife's server, even though I'm using HER buddy pass. What about that makes sense? SE should have at least let people join the same server as the person who gives you the buddy pass.

You can argue all you want that server population is an issue, but it's easy to make that argument when you're logging into and playing the game with your friends and are unaffected by SE's poor planning.
#48 Oct 02 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
scrish wrote:
for ppl saying about a world pass, take this extreme example.

1 person from a ls on xi gets on a server, they get a world pass for all (lets say) 25 ls members.

This happens with all 2k ppl on the server, thats 25 x 2,000 which would be 50,000 people all trying to get on the same server.

you therefore have 50,000 ppl trying to log onto a server designed for 5k ppl.

So the question really is do you want to stand in a queue of 45,000 people to play after you made your char.

You would just blame SE bc you cant play, the only solution is closing the servers until conjestion calms down.

Also during the origanal JP release of ffxi they didnt have world passes NA got it 18 months after Japan this game has been out a lil over 1 week, thats like 17 months 3 weeks more time to optimise servers etc so the fact that xi had world passes is a useless argument.

You CANNOT compare this games release to the US or EU release of xi because of the differance in time. Beleave it or not the world is alot bigger than just US.

this is only a theory craf, it cant be use a example
#49 Oct 03 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Just though I'd take a moment to point out that Blizzard actually had exactly the same problem when they launched WoW.

They underestimated how many people would want to play and so didn't allocate enough servers. Because of this, the servers filled up rapidly, and Blizzard wasn't able to add new servers fast enough to keep up with demand. It took about a month before they had enough servers to accommodate everyone.
#50 Oct 03 2010 at 2:43 AM Rating: Default
**
519 posts
BastokFL wrote:
Just though I'd take a moment to point out that Blizzard actually had exactly the same problem when they launched WoW.

They underestimated how many people would want to play and so didn't allocate enough servers. Because of this, the servers filled up rapidly, and Blizzard wasn't able to add new servers fast enough to keep up with demand. It took about a month before they had enough servers to accommodate everyone.

as a ex player of wow who started day 1 i can say with confidence Bastok is absolutely correct

my machine being far above recomended specs at the time of release. for the first month actually more like 1-3 months there were massive login que's i had several toons on several servers and they were all the same.. try to login and get a message " your number 578out of 798 in lin estimated time to enter approximatly ~3 hours

this was a very common sight and luckily being on a high pop server here. rabanastre, ive yet to run into any 3 hour que's or even 1 hour or even 10 minits

so id have to say no matter how bad it is its 100x better then wow@ launch

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 3:44am by Galkaholics
____________________________
FFXI 75rdm 75 war 37 blm 37whm 56mnk 32 blu (Temporarily Retired)

FFXIV Rabanastre: Lolita Conplex deleted. misfits ls used me gave em all my stuff being a good guildie then they riddiculed me til i quit.. stay away from

#51 Oct 03 2010 at 2:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
Galkaholics wrote:
so id have to say no matter how bad it is its 100x better then wow@ launch


Queue dance.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)