Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Would it be possible...Follow

#1 Oct 03 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
With all the complaints about the UI being clunky and laggy and lagg in general, it got me thinking. I've checked out Youtube videos on XIV gameplay and the clunkiness/lagg doesn't seemto be there - sure the UI looks kinda long-winded, but doesn't seem to hinder the gameplay.

Would it be possible for someone to actually capture these problems on video, as I'd like to know what the fuss is about. Strange request I know, but worth a shot.
#2 Oct 03 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
It doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's way better than in Open Beta, so I'm happy that they're making progress with it.
#3 Oct 03 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
28 posts
My UI itself isn't really laggy, the delay in, say, loading long quest text, is acceptable--what IS laggy as **** is anything dealing with buying from vendors, or browsing someone's bazaar. I peeked at a whole bunch of people's bazaars randomly, and kept getting "there's nothing for sale", until I realized I had to sit there and waaaaaaaait for the list to load. Pretty stupid, imho, that they're giving me a message stating it's empty when it's not, I would prefer if it were just blank so I'd know there's something to wait for.

Shops don't have an "empty" message, rather it's a long (haven't timed it, but it's very noticeable) lag after you click on "buy items" until the item pane actually opens.

Intermittent occurances of this issue would be okay. The fact that it happens every single time is quite irksome. It makes browsing the market wards (where the retainer bazaars are) frustrating. I wouldn't mind ducking through everyone's wares to check out stuff nearly as much if it didn't take so long.

Sorry, I can't make videos, though :/
#4 Oct 03 2010 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
I have a video, it has about 2 hours to upload. I will repost when finished.
#5 Oct 03 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
Monadnock wrote:
My UI itself isn't really laggy, the delay in, say, loading long quest text, is acceptable--what IS laggy as **** is anything dealing with buying from vendors, or browsing someone's bazaar. I peeked at a whole bunch of people's bazaars randomly, and kept getting "there's nothing for sale", until I realized I had to sit there and waaaaaaaait for the list to load. Pretty stupid, imho, that they're giving me a message stating it's empty when it's not, I would prefer if it were just blank so I'd know there's something to wait for.

Shops don't have an "empty" message, rather it's a long (haven't timed it, but it's very noticeable) lag after you click on "buy items" until the item pane actually opens.

Intermittent occurances of this issue would be okay. The fact that it happens every single time is quite irksome. It makes browsing the market wards (where the retainer bazaars are) frustrating. I wouldn't mind ducking through everyone's wares to check out stuff nearly as much if it didn't take so long.

Sorry, I can't make videos, though :/


Sounds the bazzars are taking a while to update, would that be the possible culprit? Mechanics/coding wise? Just spit balling here.


Parsalyn wrote:
I have a video, it has about 2 hours to upload. I will repost when finished.


Ah great, cheers.
#6 Oct 03 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
The reason for the general lagginess of the UI, particularly with the bazaar, is that everything in the UI is serverside. Rather than clientside UI with server checks.
#7 Oct 03 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
The reason for the general lagginess of the UI, particularly with the bazaar, is that everything in the UI is serverside. Rather than clientside UI with server checks.


Ah I see, would it be possible for those files to be made client side. Maybe in patch form? What reason would SE have for making it server side. Or to put it another way, why can't we have the files client side.
#8 Oct 03 2010 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
Sorry it took so long, youtube wasn't agreeing with it. Some other things I see constantly are player characters next to me, that take a long time to spawn. Then if I move about 10 feet, they despawn and the ones nearby spawn. It is just like FFXI. That is the only game(s) that I have seen do this. I always thought it was a limitation placed on FFXI, but now I can see that it is a server/network setup on square's end that causes this.

Sorry that it is so short, but you can literally see that I can click on something to transfer and it does not go through. I then have to click it again. Sometimes it even transfers the incorrect item.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v20484759rakEKCcf

I made this video at lowest video settings beside video resolution. And hardware mouse is enabled. Here are my specs.

Timewarner Cable, high speed internet

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64bit (build 7600)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 cores)
4 gigs ddr2
DirectX Version DirectX 11
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked
MB: EVGA 750i SLI
1920 x 1080

Maybe the lag is due to all the people staying logged in and having their bazaars open (I'm not talking retainers), instead of just having an auction house. Normally you would have peak times, but with this scenario, everyone stays logged in constantly, even though they are really at work.
#9 Oct 03 2010 at 8:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
FluxForce wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
The reason for the general lagginess of the UI, particularly with the bazaar, is that everything in the UI is serverside. Rather than clientside UI with server checks.


Ah I see, would it be possible for those files to be made client side. Maybe in patch form? What reason would SE have for making it server side. Or to put it another way, why can't we have the files client side.

I think theres a good possibility for it to become clientside at a later point. if you look at your game box it says it requires 15+ gigs of HDD space and a 6 gig download. Currently, its using 9 gigs and there was no 6 gig download. Said massive patch is likely the high level zones, all the missing quests, and hopefully, the ui files.
#10 Oct 03 2010 at 8:36 PM Rating: Default
**
696 posts
Mine doesn't do like that. I think you'll find your processor is maxing out when that happens.
#11 Oct 03 2010 at 9:13 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
zoltanrs wrote:
Mine doesn't do like that. I think you'll find your processor is maxing out when that happens.


I am unsure who you were refering to, but on the chance you were refering to me. All four of my cores do not get above 60% load.
#12 Oct 03 2010 at 9:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
135 posts
Am I the only one who gets lag when doing stuff like logging?

I click or hit enter when the "mark" is somewhere only to have it stop after the mark, like a good enough deal away.
#13 Oct 03 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
Parsalyn wrote:
Sorry it took so long, youtube wasn't agreeing with it. Some other things I see constantly are player characters next to me, that take a long time to spawn. Then if I move about 10 feet, they despawn and the ones nearby spawn. It is just like FFXI. That is the only game(s) that I have seen do this. I always thought it was a limitation placed on FFXI, but now I can see that it is a server/network setup on square's end that causes this.

Sorry that it is so short, but you can literally see that I can click on something to transfer and it does not go through. I then have to click it again. Sometimes it even transfers the incorrect item.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v20484759rakEKCcf

I made this video at lowest video settings beside video resolution. And hardware mouse is enabled. Here are my specs.

Timewarner Cable, high speed internet

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64bit (build 7600)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 cores)
4 gigs ddr2
DirectX Version DirectX 11
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked
MB: EVGA 750i SLI
1920 x 1080

Maybe the lag is due to all the people staying logged in and having their bazaars open (I'm not talking retainers), instead of just having an auction house. Normally you would have peak times, but with this scenario, everyone stays logged in constantly, even though they are really at work.


Cheers for the video. After watching it a few times, i can see what you guys mean. Also another reason for an AH, which is quite a useful one in my opinion.

Why should people stay logged in while they're, say, sleeping or working, just so they don't have to waste they're time standing and trying to sell when they actually playing. The point being, electricity costs. Computers use electricity. Why are we, quite literally having to pay extra to not play?

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 1:58am by FluxForce
#14 Oct 04 2010 at 3:22 AM Rating: Good
*
216 posts
FluxForce wrote:
Why should people stay logged in while they're, say, sleeping or working, just so they don't have to waste they're time standing and trying to sell when they actually playing. The point being, electricity costs. Computers use electricity. Why are we, quite literally having to pay extra to not play?
Hopefully item-specific market wards and multiple retainers will help to get rid of that.

One of the biggest problems is that the AFK bazaar players tend to cluster around locations they know players will be frequenting. So the adventurer's guild. The repair NPC's. City entrances. The various camps. etc etc.

All that ends up doing is making already laggy populated areas even worse, not to mention it's keeping the servers up at higher than desirable populations. Many customers are unable to create characters on the servers where their friends are because those servers are locked due to too many players. But how many of those players are AFK with their bazaar near the repair NPC?

Earlier today it took me several minutes to get the repair NPC to show up because the game kept loading all the AFK'ers, which was leaving no models left for the NPCs. I had to be standing right at his location to finally get him to display. I saw other players having to do the same thing. It's gotten a bit ridiculous... SE really needs to get that market/retainer patch out.
#15 Oct 04 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
Yeah, sounds like they need to do something different soon. Bandwidth costs everyone (including square-enix), power as you said also costs, and I think in the end something major will need to change, in order to keep the majority of the population playing regularly. Aion had a bazaar system, and shortly after release they sent out a survey for how long everyone thought that someone should be able to stay logged in with their bazaar open, while they are AFK. After taking customer feedback, they implemented either a 1 hour or 1/2 hour forced logout if you were AFK. Actually asking me what I wanted, was probably the best MMO experience I have had in regards to implementing changes.

*I meant they emailed a survey for feedback.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 1:02pm by Parsalyn
#16 Oct 04 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
Parsalyn wrote:
Yeah, sounds like they need to do something different soon. Bandwidth costs everyone (including square-enix), power as you said also costs, and I think in the end something major will need to change, in order to keep the majority of the population playing regularly. Aion had a bazaar system, and shortly after release they sent out a survey for how long everyone thought that someone should be able to stay logged in with their bazaar open, while they are AFK. After taking customer feedback, they implemented either a 1 hour or 1/2 hour forced logout if you were AFK. Actually asking me what I wanted, was probably the best MMO experience I have had in regards to implementing changes.


Exactly, so their lack thoroughness(sp?) is clearly effecting more then just annoying people - players have adapted to the system by staying logged in indefinitely, whilst not actually playing.

Strange SE never saw it coming in my opinion....

It really bugs me that SE and other game developers can make lots of little annoyances and yet the community can clearly see. Not just SE, Funcom also win at ignoring their customers.

I really hope that SE didn't try and beat Blizzard by tempting players before WoWs next expansion comes out; Funcom tried that and it backfired...really badly.


/random rant over.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)