Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

The Epic FailFollow

#1 Oct 04 2010 at 1:16 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
Now I highly suggest you read this, before you jut rate down..or continue playing for a long time without warning.


FFXI XP 1-75: 801,350

FFXIV SP: 1-31: 464,450

SP requirements are going to be over 100,000 per rank later on....

Why is this a problem you ask?

Well....in the 20s you start getting 0-30 SP a mob...and in parties you get 0-500 for that very same mob. Now...you would think hey, just party, no problem, right? Wrong. There is a SP glitch that makes it so people don't always get SP when in a group of a size greater than 2.

At the current rate...it will take casuals well over a month in order to get a rank. At higher ranks? Months.

CONJ/THM are an exception, they can always get 400-500sp a fight, no problem.


What are your thoughts on Squeenix making FFXIV more accessible to casuals? Epic fail?
#2 Oct 04 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
Glad I'm CON/THM :P
#3 Oct 04 2010 at 1:22 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
You should be, we conducted some more tests earlier and found the THM always got 2x-4x DoW SP.
#4 Oct 04 2010 at 1:23 AM Rating: Decent
*
80 posts
I guess that's your theory.
#5 Oct 04 2010 at 1:23 AM Rating: Decent
*
182 posts
Well not more to say about this. It is sadly the truth.
And i think we all know it so we don't need new threads about all the problems right now. Still that doesn't make those problems dissapear. I hope the first Patch will fix alot of all those problems like lag or partying stuff so we all can enjoy party playing more.

I really don't care alot about taking months and months to get a job up to max level but i want to have fun doing it and partying for me is fun. Sadly that not really happens right now in FF14.
#6 Oct 04 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
119 posts
As a "casual," I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying the way FFXIV is working out so far. I've plenty of patience to hold out for patches, content updates, etc. Personally, I think if you regard the game as so much of an Epic Fail, you are quite welcome to leave.

Secondly, this has all been said, several times. Regardless, we thank you for your apparent desire to inform us of your negative opinion, as super important as it is.

Lastly, and on a slightly more serious note, has anyone at higher levels tried going out more to further areas in the game and fighting higher level mobs? I understand that 500sp is the limit for a battle in most cases, but I find it hard to believe that this was NEVER taken into consideration during development and testing. Could higher level enemies produce more SP or have a higher cap? I really do not know the answer to this. I've heard nothing so far of people fighting in other areas aside from where the leves tell you to go, but I know there are a lot of tough mobs out there.
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
#7 Oct 04 2010 at 1:27 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
It's not a theory, it's fact. Every person in the 20s I've talked to feels the same.

Edit: It's not negative. It's a fact.

Also, are you rank20+? That's when you'll start to see it, a few levels in. If not, you won't understand.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 3:30am by xthunderblazex
#8 Oct 04 2010 at 1:31 AM Rating: Excellent
*
158 posts
fact: they've reduced the EXP curve to cap numerous times in FFXI.

They'll do it in FFXIV, too. If you're in a rush to cap, have fun doing it under the "first" planned cap: the one they use at release to draw out leveling to keep people from capping too fast.

Otherwise, wait. I'm sure they'll reduce the curve as needed...like in 8 months or a year from now.
#9 Oct 04 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
They don't need to lower the curve...they need to completely revamp the way you get SP. It's too random right now, they need to make it a static value.
#10 Oct 04 2010 at 1:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
119 posts
Currently, I am no longer in the 20s, but I hit that point toward the end of beta. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to really get the feel of those levels before the beta ended, so perhaps I am still missing everything you said.
Maybe it's just because I have high hopes, but I want to say it's a little too early to tell. During beta, I never really ran into anyone in the mid to high 20s, nor have I in the release. Maybe it's because they get bored and give up around then, but still I wonder if these people have explored more of the game, as I mentioned in my post. When I hit 20, I kept doing the rank 20 leves when I could, but I would not doubt that there were a number of other places I would be able to go and fight. Who knows what I could have gotten out there. I've also not seen any information about these mobs that hide out in those other areas...

Also, a completely random, and somewhat ridiculous idea, but what if SE never expected people to move so quickly? I know, sounds absurd, and is probably biased because I'm a casual who won't be hitting 20 in most things for a while (Both because of non-frequent playing and desire to do multiple tradeskills), but why not? Everyone's been talking about how this game is very casual-oriented. You've said it yourself. So the content and the updates won't come as quickly as you want. I guess I could get into the "Are you really having fun rushing through leveling your character so much?" argument here, but there's no point.
Just a random thought. It really doesn't make sense. And I'm not foolish enough to deny some of the faults that have been pointed out, but I like to think I have patience enough to not judge a game's future solely on the week or so it's been released (I know, alpha/beta. That's why this was "random thought" ... I didn't say "well thought out" haha).
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
#11 Oct 04 2010 at 1:45 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
This is the game as is, nothing to do with content, nothing to do with rushing, nothing to do with bonus. The game is simply not meant for casuals, and it is one of the most hardcore games available, just from the epic grind it promises, especially seeing as how rank50 is not the final cap.

Lots of people from my linkshells share the same sentiment. They all want to like the game, but...it's going to be difficult.
#12 Oct 04 2010 at 1:46 AM Rating: Decent
xthunderblazex wrote:
They don't need to lower the curve...they need to completely revamp the way you get SP. It's too random right now, they need to make it a static value.


It's fine as it is. Most people I talk to find it entertaining to see the skillups because they never know for sure if they're going to get one or not. SE needs to fix the bug, of course, and I'm sure they will, but that bug in of itself is by no means justification to revamp the system. There's that little bit of anticipation from one swing or spell to the next. I fought a T funguar today on my way through the Black Shroud with my thaumaturge (rank 11) and walked away with 400 skill points. It was awesome. Then I fought three green thistletail marmots in a row and got nothing from two of them except their drops. Did it bother me? Not really. I actually like the combat mechanics which means the process is fun, regardless of the outcome.
#13 Oct 04 2010 at 1:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
119 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
This is the game as is, nothing to do with content, nothing to do with rushing, nothing to do with bonus. The game is simply not meant for casuals, and it is one of the most hardcore games available, just from the epic grind it promises, especially seeing as how rank50 is not the final cap.

Lots of people from my linkshells share the same sentiment. They all want to like the game, but...it's going to be difficult.


Sorry, your post confused me a little bit. How are you so sure that this game is "one of the most hardcore games available" and "not meant for casuals"?
In fact, a lot of your posts I'm seeing around right now make you sound as if you know this game in and out. I won't question your knowledge of the game's mechanics, but giving such definite opinions about the game seems a little ... odd, for lack of a better word.

At the risk of sounding like a suck up to this Aurelius guy, I really have to say I like his idea and think he's got the right one. I think people are looking at this game the wrong way (and I'd like to make the claim that it's influenced heavily by other MMOs like WoW and FFXI. It's not those games, and just because it's an MMO doesn't mean it has to fall into the typical MMO framework that people are so used to. It's different. Live with it).
Enjoy the game or stop playing. Seriously.
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
#14 Oct 04 2010 at 2:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
ArkWeldwin wrote:
xthunderblazex wrote:
This is the game as is, nothing to do with content, nothing to do with rushing, nothing to do with bonus. The game is simply not meant for casuals, and it is one of the most hardcore games available, just from the epic grind it promises, especially seeing as how rank50 is not the final cap.

Lots of people from my linkshells share the same sentiment. They all want to like the game, but...it's going to be difficult.


Sorry, your post confused me a little bit. How are you so sure that this game is "one of the most hardcore games available" and "not meant for casuals"?


I've only played FFXI, WoW, Guildwars and FFXIV for MMO's

FFXIV and FFXI are a lot harder than WoW and Guildwars. I don't remember GW that clearly but come on, in WoW you run to people with exclamation points on their head.

I remember starting FFXI and playing for a couple hours and being so frustrated because I didn't know how to play that I didn't play for 2 months after that, only after I started being billed was I like "maybe I should give this another shot"

I pity people who come to this game with no MMO experience or just WoW MMO experience.




Edited, Oct 4th 2010 4:02am by Tanstalas1
#15 Oct 04 2010 at 2:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
119 posts
Tanstalas1 wrote:
I pity people who come to this game with no MMO experience or just WoW MMO experience.


Well, I'm glad I'm neither of those then. I'd hate for you to waste your pity on me :D

I'll stop trying to argue.
I know FFXIV is harder than other MMOs, that's why I'm playing it. And I really liked that about the game. I actually discouraged one of my friends from playing it because he doesn't have a lot of patience and really wouldn't have liked the lack of things telling you exactly what to do and how to do it, "[running] to people with exclamation points on their head."

To me, there's a difference between "hard" and "hardcore." I really only say I was confused because the OP asked if SE making the game more accessible to casuals was the epic fail, then said later that the game was "obviously" never meant for casuals. I'm pretty sure I get what he means, but there's some underlying logic that doesn't seem to click with me. Whatever. I'm way too tired, haha.
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
#16 Oct 04 2010 at 2:33 AM Rating: Excellent
26 posts
Whilst not having reached the heady heights of level 20 yet, I will say that you can't compare the total experience points to cap with FFXI - not least because that quoted figure of 800k odd is a lot less than it used to be. It's been a long while since I capped my BST (solo) - but could have sworn it was around 1.25 million xp when I lvled, and it dropped a little bit whilst I was making my way there. It also took me about 70 days playtime to get that far ...

It's a different game at the end of the day, and whilst I haven't got that far in yet, I will say it appears to be a lot easier than FFXI and the XP curve appears similar to Aion / EQ2 - I may change my opinion as I go further, but I'm happy to take my time and take in the sights (albeit at low res otherwise I'll blow my graphics card !)

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 4:35am by Fangornthedead
____________________________
Fangorn
-----------
FFXIV Saronia - PL32 / ARC19 / and about 10 other jobs RK10 -> RK16
FFXI Hades - Retired BST75 RDM40 NIN37 BLM20 WAR18 THF15 RNG14 PLD12

#17 Oct 04 2010 at 2:47 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
I can compare due to two pieces of information

1) It requires more SP to level in FFXIV than it does XP in FFXI and

2) You get FFXIV SP slower than FFXI XP.

Therefore, it is harder, and takes longer to level in FFXIV than FFXI. Mostly due to fake difficulty.
#18 Oct 04 2010 at 2:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Quote:
I can compare due to two pieces of information

1) It requires more SP to level in FFXIV than it does XP in FFXI and

2) You get FFXIV SP slower than FFXI XP.

Therefore, it is harder, and takes longer to level in FFXIV than FFXI. Mostly due to fake difficulty.


See modification above. Time does not equal difficulty, it equals time. Difficulty would be trying to get skill points and dying ad nauseam trying to do something you feel you "should" be able to do. But feeling like you should get more skill points per kill just because you think it takes too long is not a degree of difficulty, it's a matter of opinion regarding the amount of skill required to rank up.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#19 Oct 04 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
They will probably add an Abyssea XP area with mass XP gain, probably with limited stones too!
____________________________
BANNED
#20 Oct 04 2010 at 2:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
I can compare due to two pieces of information

1) It requires more SP to level in FFXIV than it does XP in FFXI and

2) You get FFXIV SP slower than FFXI XP.

Therefore, it is harder, and takes longer to level in FFXIV than FFXI. Mostly due to fake difficulty.


Are you taking into account dying and losing 10% of your TNL? :)
#21 Oct 04 2010 at 3:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
After reading all this, I still don't get what people are complaining about. Surely if this game is such epic fail. Why are you still here? leave and close the door behind you.

Is this whole complaint because you can't reach the cap in 24-48 hours like you can in most other MMO's?

I have spent a lot of time on XIV since pre order release, I have done multi jobs, multi crafts, leves and enjoyed the occasional party/duo. **** I have even gone and explored area's and suffered the deaths of 1 shot agros. I think this game is something special.

Epic Fail? Well they said that about FFXI on 1st day release and now look at it. It has lasted a lot longer then all my relationships and most of them put together. Epic Fail?
We shall see if it's still around in 5+ years which I believe it will be.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#22 Oct 04 2010 at 3:10 AM Rating: Good
*
216 posts
It will probably be a little under a week from now before I reach rank 20 on my main class.

Then I'll want to get Conjurer to 20 for Cure II, and Thaumaturge to at least 16 for Stygian Spikes.

And I want to get a pre-20 skill or 2 from some other DoW classes.

If they've added in the multiple retainers by then I'll also be raising crafting up more than I have been now (I've just been doing leves). Not to mention I'll start using my gathering classes since I'll have the room to keep my harvests.

So all of that is going to be 2 weeks before what the OP is mentioning will ever affect me. By that time SE should have released some kind of content patch, or begun to address this if it isn't working as they're intending.

If you're already into the 20's, rather than banging your head against a wall and saying "This is epic fail", maybe try doing something else ingame to give SE time to get their release patches out there. We've yet to get our first real "launch patch."

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 5:11am by theweenie
#23 Oct 04 2010 at 3:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
21 posts
i dont think u can compare the total xp in 11 and 14.
the maximum xp per battle you can get in 11 is not as high as 14.not counting campaign where you can get a insanely xp of 2k..
but remember this, campaign does not come out until very much later in the game.

it took me a good 3 ~ 4 months just to level my sam to 75 with countless partying and countless campaign.( and this is because i got a static leveling party)
with good party, the maximum xp per battle i got was about 120 ~ 250. but how long does it takes to take down a IT mob? definitely longer than 14 currently...
#24 Oct 04 2010 at 3:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
21 posts
seriously... when did you start FF 11 before before or after zilart or COP?
and how far did you go into the game to be able to compare 11 and 14 and declare it as a epic fail??

Fake difficulties?? i have been playing since open beta and even though i am just a 12 conjurer 11 tham and 17 physical 11 carpenter 7 weaver...apart from the controls which i am still not use to it...i dont remember this game was at all difficult currently compare to 11...

This kind of data will just make ppl laugh...it will take a lot more to make ppl hear you...
i for one feel this data that you have is abit too weak...

#25 Oct 04 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
*
196 posts
better months to years to cap than days and weeks like some MMOs i know
#26 Oct 04 2010 at 4:34 AM Rating: Default
****
4,146 posts
ArkWeldwin wrote:
... I find it hard to believe that this was NEVER taken into consideration during development and testing.

This thought slapped me in the face repeatedly throughout beta testing and the little I have played of release.

Tanstalas1 wrote:
FFXIV and FFXI are a lot harder than WoW and Guildwars. I don't remember GW that clearly but come on, in WoW you run to people with exclamation points on their head.

Poor comparison. In FFXIV you run up to an oversized crystal to get your quests. The sheer number of NPCs in WoW as compared to FFXIV is so overwhelming that you'd give up if there was no direction to show you which ones to interact with for quests. Think about it. How much longer would it take you to complete quests if every NPC had something useless to say?

Ryneguy wrote:
Time does not equal difficulty, it equals time.

Apply this to time as it relates to getting gear because of poor drop rate and you have single-handedly destroyed 99 out of 100 'WoW is easy' arguments. You sir, are my hero.

Tanstalas1 wrote:
Are you taking into account dying and losing 10% of your TNL? :)

Are you taking into account that after you are raised you get most of this back? Add to this the fact that your abyssea group will likely have killed enough mobs while you were afk/weakened for 5 mins that you'll have made the rest back and probably another 10% toward your next level... yeah.

Igloo wrote:
better months to years to cap than days and weeks like some MMOs i know

So you've heard of FFXI? From 0 to cap will take you only two long days of playtime anymore if you want it to.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#27 Oct 04 2010 at 6:39 AM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
Quote:
Wrong. There is a SP glitch that makes it so people don't always get SP when in a group of a size greater than 2.


You don't think that MAYBE....JUST MAYBE it would be fixed?
#28 Oct 04 2010 at 7:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
77 posts
I am glad it takes a bit of time to hit that next rank. It makes gaining each rank more gratifying due to the time investment. One of my best memories of FFXI was getting my first 75 after 1.5 years of play. And I am sure they will be constantly adjusting sp points to cater to the impatient crowd as they did in FFXI.
____________________________
FFXIV Sterling Cooper - Besaid

FFXI Cheebone - Unicorn
#29 Oct 04 2010 at 7:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
"Casual-friendly" does not necessarily mean "casuals will get to cap in what a hardcore player considers a reasonable amount of time". It just means "Casuals can get to cap too." Granted it would take a lot more time, but they'll still get there. And, on average, they'll get there with the same amount of effort put into it as most others. Just that hardcore players concentrate their efforts into longer playtime spans and so it appears that they'll get there with less effort, when it's just that it's less time.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#30 Oct 04 2010 at 8:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
Quote:
Are you taking into account that after you are raised you get most of this back? Add to this the fact that your abyssea group will likely have killed enough mobs while you were afk/weakened for 5 mins that you'll have made the rest back and probably another 10% toward your next level... yeah.

This was not always the case. Exp loss was capped what 3 years ago? and Raise 3 which makes you lose 250 exp is not effective at lower levels.

Don't argue against fact of EXP loss... it really is stupid.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#31 Oct 04 2010 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
If we step away from the, how-long-it-takes-to-skill-up-argument, this game is still not very casual/solo friendly at ALL. First let me just say, I do like the game. It has some issues (lots of issues) but I don't think they are unfix-able; I just hope they fix them.

At rank 26 PGL you can no longer solo the color of mobs that you were soloing at 15, even with gear close to your rank (R19 wpn, R23 Harness, R28 Breeches...etc). As of right now, if you could solo anything at that level, prepare to get 18 skill-ups per kill. So unless they fix this, which I think and pray they will, you have to go party. Party skill-ups are bugged, end of story. Skill ups in general are too random. The highest in our LS has been 1,538 skill-up for 1-kill, the lowest a big fat 0. Still, there is really none to very limited option for solo at higher ranks. A blue/green Puk would kill me with his/her TP move, and I have 1500 HP.

Well let's say you don't play a DoW/DoW class, but a DoH/DoL class. You can solo then right? Yes, maybe, but not very well at all. First of all for crafters, as you may have noticed any gear you need to make requires something from 1-2 or more different disciplines. You would be lucky to find one that didn't require one item that had a requirement of an item that was 16 ranks higher. For example, a rank 5 Leather recipe requires a rank 21 recipe from Alchemy to make, and vice versa. How exactly do you intend to make these items playing solo and casually? Well you can purchase it. Well we all know what the market ward system is like. You can not find anything and if you do, you will never know if paying 80k for a undyed canvas is a fair price (lol). Well you can farm your own mats. True, but you will run into that issue I spoke of in the previous paragraph. Well I'll go armorer and I'll need just ore. That's not true, you will be needing a lot more than just ore, but suppose you needed just ore. Well it's obvious that higher level nodes will be around higher level monsters. Furthermore, all of these DoH/DoL have their own gear, so again with the need of other crafts.

One final issue is the overabundance of time sinks in this game. Sure leveling can take some time, but whatever, it's an MMO. But, should it really take 25 minutes on a ferry? Should it take more than a hour to get from LL to GRD? Well you can teleport. Yes you can, but only until you run out of Anima. There is no mail system. Any time you want to send someone something you have to run to them or your retainer which usually can only be found in the city you left them in. You can use bells, not really unless you leave your retainer idle. If he is selling something, you have to go all the way back. I mean I can just go on, but I am logging into the game now...

Love this game, lots of issues, NOT casual/solo friendly. Does a casual person really have time to travel to LL and back,and craft some Copper Buckles, all in about 3-hours, and then log off? Furthermore, does a casual person want to spend 3-hours of their time like that? all questions to ponder on.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 12:19pm by Abidtwo
#32 Oct 04 2010 at 10:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
What the **** are people talking about?

I've hardly been playing at all and I'm leveling pretty quickly. My physical is already like 25 or so and my actual class ranks don't take long to go up either.

I can only play like two days a week max because the internet does not work here properly on weekdays. I find I'm leveling up WAY too fast to be honest.
____________________________


#33xthunderblazex, Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 11:51 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Abidtwo understands, the rest clearly don't.
#34 Oct 04 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
216 posts
Notice how most of the people defending this game saying it's great fun are still sitting around level 10 and have not hit the grind yet.
#35 Oct 04 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
TheLufia wrote:
Notice how most of the people defending this game saying it's great fun are still sitting around level 10 and have not hit the grind yet.


It's called "selection bias" - low level content is fun and relatively bug free. You do a levequest - you get a level or two or three! What are all those rank 20 compaling about? I can make all my equipment myself - leveled ten DoH classes from 0 to 5 in just an hour, at this rate I will have capped crafts by the end of the week and will never ever have to use Market Wards. Sheesh, haters should GTFO and STFU.
#36 Oct 04 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
Once they get into the 20s they will understand what I'm saying, and stop rating down because they think I'm full of sh*t.

1-19, or even the early 20s, you haven't experienced the true game yet, and when you do, you will see how much of a grind it is at the current stage, and trust me, it needs major fixing.



Edit: I'll look into making a youtube video showing how much SP you get per green-yellow mob at rank26.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:19pm by xthunderblazex
#37 Oct 04 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I don't get how this thread is relevant to anything. So would you be infinitaly more dissapointed if there was no level cap at all?

You are basically saying that the only thing you look forward to in a game is capping our your characters level, and that everything in between is a grind.

The idea, I think, is to enjoy the game no matter what "stage" of it you are in. If that isn't how you approach MMO's then there's a good chance you just aren't a fan of most MMO's

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 1:22pm by Mithsavvy
#38 Oct 04 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
216 posts
Quote:
You are basically saying that the only thing you look forward to in a game is capping our your characters level, and that everything in between is a grind.


Sorry, had to laugh. Everything in between actually is a grind in this game.
#39 Oct 04 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
Uploading a crappy video to youtube. Shows how much SP you can expect from Green-Yellow mobs. Used a crappy configuration, so it's not that great of a video but it works. Will be uploaded whenever, it's a large file so may take a while.


Edit:

SPOILERS: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/thunderblaze/lolend.png

32,000 / 11 = 2909.09~, round up, 2910 mobs to rank up solo! I've only killed 5.1-5.2k mobs in the game so far.


Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:51pm by xthunderblazex

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:53pm by xthunderblazex
#40 Oct 04 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Default
****
4,902 posts
Quote:
Time does not equal difficulty, it equals time.

Id argue that. For some people dedicating time to a video game is difficult. They need to rearrange things in their life in order to play. Or stay up crazy hours in order to play a certain amount of time. The more time they need to dedicate in order to advance the game the more difficult it is for them to do. I think the concept of difficulty as a whole is relative. What can be difficult to a person, could be very easy for some one else.
____________________________
DRG FAQ
#41 Oct 04 2010 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
216 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Uploading a crappy video to youtube. Shows how much SP you can expect from Green-Yellow mobs. Used a crappy configuration, so it's not that great of a video but it works. Will be uploaded whenever, it's a large file so may take a while.


Edit:

SPOILERS: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/thunderblaze/lolend.png

32,000 / 11 = 2909.09~, round up, 2910 mobs to rank up solo! I've only killed 5.1-5.2k mobs in the game so far.


Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:51pm by xthunderblazex

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:53pm by xthunderblazex


I do have to question how much fatigue is cutting into your xp, however.
#42 Oct 04 2010 at 1:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
106 posts
HachiLihachi wrote:
TheLufia wrote:
Notice how most of the people defending this game saying it's great fun are still sitting around level 10 and have not hit the grind yet.


It's called "selection bias" - low level content is fun and relatively bug free. You do a levequest - you get a level or two or three! What are all those rank 20 compaling about? I can make all my equipment myself - leveled ten DoH classes from 0 to 5 in just an hour, at this rate I will have capped crafts by the end of the week and will never ever have to use Market Wards. Sheesh, haters should GTFO and STFU.


Never have to use the Market Wards huh? what about the materials not sold by NPCs.
#43xthunderblazex, Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 1:11 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) My bonus is at 10-20%. It's not much. Trust me, I get that same amount without bonus.
#44 Oct 04 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
WillCider wrote:


Never have to use the Market Wards huh? what about the materials not sold by NPCs.


Don't ask me, I have no clue how all these lv10 are planning to pull it off.
#45 Oct 04 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
ketrel wrote:
Quote:
Time does not equal difficulty, it equals time.

Id argue that. For some people dedicating time to a video game is difficult. They need to rearrange things in their life in order to play. Or stay up crazy hours in order to play a certain amount of time. The more time they need to dedicate in order to advance the game the more difficult it is for them to do. I think the concept of difficulty as a whole is relative. What can be difficult to a person, could be very easy for some one else.


Argue the point all you wish to your heart's desire, but you're wrong.

Judging something to be difficult simply because it took a long while is foolish at best and shows a lack of understanding of what actually makes something difficult. There are many factors, as you said, that can be used to judge whether something is hard or not, but time is not one of them.
#46 Oct 04 2010 at 2:39 PM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
See after 7 years of XI, i kinda knew what i was getting into.

anything Squeenix is never easy or not time consuming. Its what you get with their games
there is a grind and a lot of cool things. However, i understand what some of the players are feeling considering the
game is being touted as friendly to the casual player and you don't need to play 10+ hours a day to get something done.

I am liking the game even with its faults so far and I want to see how it evolves and that evolution is what is going to distinguish it in the future. that's what i am looking forwards to.
#47 Oct 04 2010 at 4:03 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
Lonix wrote:
Filthmcnasty wrote:
Are you taking into account that after you are raised you get most of this back? Add to this the fact that your abyssea group will likely have killed enough mobs while you were afk/weakened for 5 mins that you'll have made the rest back and probably another 10% toward your next level... yeah.

This was not always the case. Exp loss was capped what 3 years ago? and Raise 3 which makes you lose 250 exp is not effective at lower levels.

Don't argue against fact of EXP loss... it really is stupid.

No one is arguing that it is not exp lost. The point is that it is such a minor amount that it's not even worth taking into consideration. At level 49, the last level before the bonus from having a higher raise spell cast on you, Raise I will return 50% of the 10% tnl that you lost. This equates to 380 exp. Two mobs will yield that much experience points and are probably killed in less time than it takes your weakness to wear off.

Exp loss is not a penalty worth noting. Having to sit there waiting for weakness is just a waste of time.

Lets adjust the OP values to compare the same levels.

FFXIV SP 1-31 = 464,450
FFXI EXP 1-31 = 106,350

A difference of 358,100. You are arguing that the games are a comparable grind because you think it possible that someone would lose over 350k trying to get from 1-31. Common sense dictates that you would lose the most exp if you were KO'd at level 30 however many times before you finally reached 31 since the tnl is highest at that level. Lets do the math on that.

TNL at 30 is 5,800. You lose 10% on KO so 580 exp. Actually, **** it... Lets say you don't get a raise ever.

358,100 exp difference
580 exp lost on death

You would have to die and homepoint without a raise over 600 times on your way from 1-31 to make up the difference. You called me stupid... lol





____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#48 Oct 04 2010 at 4:44 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Speeral wrote:
See after 7 years of XI, i kinda knew what i was getting into.

anything Squeenix is never easy or not time consuming. Its what you get with their games


Really? You sure about that?

Because I've been playing their games for over two decades, and with a few exceptions nothing in their games is difficult that is not also entirely optional, where "difficult" is defined as "wiping me out more than once on my first playthrough". In fact a large amount of their game content is easy, defined as "LOL one-shot".
#49xthunderblazex, Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 4:56 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Crappy video is crappy, but watch the SP amounts, and the Green-Yellow mobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4
#50 Oct 04 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,902 posts
Quote:
Judging something to be difficult simply because it took a long while is foolish at best and shows a lack of understanding of what actually makes something difficult. There are many factors, as you said, that can be used to judge whether something is hard or not, but time is not one of them.

Thats fine so lets outline what makes leveling in this game difficult? Is it the individual fights from mob to mob? Is it the skills you need to use in order to kill said mob? Xping in FFXI and FFXIV is not difficult by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not saying that in all instances things all things time consuming are difficult. In this example however its the time requirement that make this game hard to play.
____________________________
DRG FAQ
#51 Oct 04 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
119 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Uploading a crappy video to youtube. Shows how much SP you can expect from Green-Yellow mobs. Used a crappy configuration, so it's not that great of a video but it works. Will be uploaded whenever, it's a large file so may take a while.


Edit:

SPOILERS: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/thunderblaze/lolend.png

32,000 / 11 = 2909.09~, round up, 2910 mobs to rank up solo! I've only killed 5.1-5.2k mobs in the game so far.


Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:51pm by xthunderblazex

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 2:53pm by xthunderblazex


I choose this post to reply to, although there are so many to say something about.
In regards to your picture, I would like to point to some non-specific space in this thread where someone was talking about how you're essentially complaining that you can't grind your character to the level cap and be a super-awesome-omg-1337-badass-c00l-dood. Have you perhaps considered... not playing your gladiator for a bit? Have you considered giving the other aspects of the game a try? Have you considered PLAYING the game the way it's meant to be played?
Try this for example: I'm going to go play Halo. However, I'm going to only kill every bad guy with melee attacks. I think I'll stick it on Legendary difficulty, sounds good. Oh wait, the enemies are getting too tough for me, I can't seem to kill them all with only my one melee attack. I seem to be hitting some kind of "wall" as far as damage dealt to enemies is concerned... Hmm, I think I'll go online and ***** and complain about how Bungie made such a sh*tty game for not letting me beat it on Legendary with only one attack. Here, I'll even screenshot how little damage I'm doing! Look everyone, it's unfair!

Yes, it's a sh*tty analogy, but it's meant to be. I know someone's probably going to pick it apart and explain to me how the analogy doesn't work in certain points... But that's also not the point. The point is, the way I see your argument being played out is that you're complaining that your ONE class can not level as fast as you think it should. This ONE class in a game that advertises and was MADE FOR leveling multiple classes, etc. In another thread, I linked a youtube video explaining the Fatigue System. The narrator even explains that the game breakdown is like so:
Casual gamers can work on their one or two classes until cap
Whilst hardcore gamers can work on ALL or most of the classes until cap.
Either way, this should take you to the end of the fatigue, which I understand is to be about one week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM
Here. Watch it if you'd like. This is a purposeful mechanic of the game. If you're here to only play one class until cap, then I argue you're not actually playing the game. In which case, there's no point in any arguing, or any complaining.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 8:16pm by ArkWeldwin
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)