Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

How bad must it get for you to stop defending FFXIV?Follow

#52 Oct 04 2010 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
Wint wrote:
Boy, for all of you rating down those who agree with me, does it drive you nuts that you can't rate me down? Smiley: grinSmiley: tongue


Can't rate you up either! =/
#53 Oct 04 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
bsphil wrote:
Wint wrote:
Boy, for all of you rating down those who agree with me, does it drive you nuts that you can't rate me down? Smiley: grinSmiley: tongue
Well I'd rather just not pay money to use this forum.

I was going to do this anyway though for a different reason.

HallieXIV wrote:
I really cant understand why people who hate the game so much are wasting their money? I wish I could afford to waste money on things I hate!
Because they bought the game expecting something fun and ran into a wall of bugs and poor design decisions? I don't know how you can't understand that. The people who are aware of the fact that the game needs a massive amount of work yet didn't bother to buy the game at release.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 10:20pm by bsphil


I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game. Sure, there are some things I would change but I am having a great time so I'll live with it. As for people buying retail and being met with lots of issues - well, most people on this site were in beta and telling us all that retail would be no different. In beta I posted here that I was looking forward to retial release for all these people to stop playing and yet they are still here.

Could it be that they are having fun? Surely not!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#54 Oct 04 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
valeforheya1984 wrote:
Quote:
- A craft recipe design that encourages mediocrity. As a Blacksmith, Armorer and Goldsmith, I can make tools for most other DoH classes between 10 and 15 which are a major upgrade. But these recipes require Rank 21 materials from said classes. So one has to ask, if I can (read: have to) make it to Rank 21 with Rank 1 tools and weapons, why not 31? Heck, why not level cap? There needs to be a reasonable scale between when items can be used and when they can be crafted -- at least for the first 20 Ranks.


now this part i strongly aggree needs to be fixed, whats the point of haveing to get lv 30 craft to make a lv 11 item for it (weaver cotten stuff that needs canves)


I agree with this as well... Buffalo leather recipes come to mind too as they're required for some lower tier weapons. It's weird that the weapon is easier to make then the intermediate strap it uses. At the very least, it creates an awkward obstacle to obtaining/producing gear.

At least it is not insurmountable.
#55 Oct 04 2010 at 9:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Quote:

I really cant understand why people who hate the game so much are wasting their money? I wish I could afford to waste money on things I hate!


technically they've already wasted their money, and would just like to get more value out of it.


to chime in on the wow thing, Wow happened to have alot of things right. I for one think their AH system is the best I've seen in an MMO. However just because I think a game could benefit from an AH, stable XP/skill gains, and a much better repair system (3 things WOW has), doesn't mean I should go back to it, because I think literally everything else FFXIV offers is better. I'm really tired of the 'go back to wow' to anyone who dislikes even a portion of 14, it shows up in every like every thread.


I already apologised for my "go back to WoW" comment and you wont see if from me again. I guess it was just borne out of frustration at why people waste their money.

Some of us (in fact I suggest the vast majority of the player base) are really enjoying teh game. Yes, there are things that need fixing but we are having a great time. We just cant understand all the crying on forums like this.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#56 Oct 04 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Quote:
Could it be that they are having fun? Surely not!


again.. People are actually having fun, between the annoying to crippling problems. Today I had a great time helping my friend with his leves, doing a bit of grinding, and I had a blast.. Until I got back to town, checked my skill gain, and saw that I'd made barely over 2K, because I had the audacity to heal/buff/debuff instead of spam spirit dart.
____________________________


#57 Oct 04 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.

HallieXIV wrote:
As for people buying retail and being met with lots of issues - well, most people on this site were in beta and telling us all that retail would be no different.
From what I recall, there were a lot of adamant defenders of SE saying that all of these issues were being held back and would be fixed at release. It was the people that weren't trying to minimize negative comments of the state of the game who were saying that it would likely not change much at all from open beta to release.

HallieXIV wrote:
I guess it was just borne out of frustration at why people waste their money.
If you weren't actively following the open beta and instead just happened to pick it up at release date, you could very easily be out $50-75 with no way to get it back if you ended up being disappointed enough with the game to not want to keep playing.





If you happen to still like the game, that's great for you. Other people take issues to the things that you may not care about.



Edited, Oct 4th 2010 10:37pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#58 Oct 04 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
751 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Quote:
Could it be that they are having fun? Surely not!


again.. People are actually having fun, between the annoying to crippling problems. Today I had a great time helping my friend with his leves, doing a bit of grinding, and I had a blast.. Until I got back to town, checked my skill gain, and saw that I'd made barely over 2K, because I had the audacity to heal/buff/debuff instead of spam spirit dart.


I dont understand - my main is 17 conjurer and I get more exp for healing and nuking in a party than I do spamming spirit dart. I seem to get as much exp hitting with one heal/nuke as I would for landing 5 spirit darts. To be honest though, i personally wouldnt really care about exp if I had fun playing. But then, the aim for me is to enjoy the game, not necessarily to get to endgame.

What was your level range and what level mobs were you fighting relative to your level? I understand that the party exp mechanic gets a bit screwy if you are significantly below the other party members. I think this is consistent with FFXI if I remember rightly.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#59 Oct 04 2010 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
bsphil wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.


Cant unfortunately - not at home :-(

This is why I only post during the day when i cant play!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#60 Oct 04 2010 at 9:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Quote:
Could it be that they are having fun? Surely not!


again.. People are actually having fun, between the annoying to crippling problems. Today I had a great time helping my friend with his leves, doing a bit of grinding, and I had a blast.. Until I got back to town, checked my skill gain, and saw that I'd made barely over 2K, because I had the audacity to heal/buff/debuff instead of spam spirit dart.


I dont understand - my main is 17 conjurer and I get more exp for healing and nuking in a party than I do spamming spirit dart. I seem to get as much exp hitting with one heal/nuke as I would for landing 5 spirit darts. To be honest though, i personally wouldnt really care about exp if I had fun playing. But then, the aim for me is to enjoy the game, not necessarily to get to endgame.

What was your level range and what level mobs were you fighting relative to your level? I understand that the party exp mechanic gets a bit screwy if you are significantly below the other party members. I think this is consistent with FFXI if I remember rightly.


I was 12 when i started, partner was 11. we were doing 3star level 10 leves, and then duoing on green/blue con dodos mainly. We both leveled up during the trip. Typically I'd get 100ish skill points on a cure/stoneskin cast, and I'd get a 30-40 skillup on a choke/spirit dart. I didn't mind, I was there to help him out, but its discouraging to see that playing my class to the fullest, gets me less rewards than going to a cave with shrews and spamming spirit dart.

I wouldnt be suprised if you'd seen better numbers, one cause its random, and two I'm sure you were doing something a bit more suited to group leveling. Also I'm not concerned about XP because I'm a rush to the endgame type, but it'd be nice to have something significant to show for it, I mean I killed say 50-70 mobs during this time, and got 2k out of it, which is like 33XP per mob, which I think its pretty low for killing essentially leve mobs and +1 dodos.
____________________________


#61 Oct 04 2010 at 10:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
268 posts
HallieXIV wrote:


Im not sure what the problem is with the UI. It feels like an old skool RPG to me (which I like) and on my main rig I dont seem to get any lag to speak of (which I like). Admittedly, I cant play on my lap top which is a shame but there you go.

I have also really like the community ingame. I have duo'd and tri'od as well as been in full exp parties and generally my experience has been really positive. Perhaps thats because I dont spend my whole time slagging off the game. I cant imagine grouping with many people from this site - it would be painful.

I agree lack of search function is pretty bad, and not having an AH is a serious ommission - hopefully these will come soon.


This is my thoughts exactly. The game is fine as far as fun factor. I just got out of a group were we slaughtered some Rank 20 Guildleves at level 14 and it was a blast. Grouping is extremely fun. Too bad most people drudge it and want to only solo.
____________________________
Kula Vermillion - Mysidia

#62 Oct 04 2010 at 10:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,652 posts
The game started out kinda rough for me, but it's growing on me. I'm enjoying myself a bit more each time I play and as my character grows. It really is rough pioneering FFXIV but it will make for some fond memories I'm sure.
#63 Oct 04 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Excellent
FFXIV does have alot of failing moments, but at the same time there's still much good in it too. After ranting and complaining about it I've come to learn there really isn't any point about doing so. Ranting here has become so redundant. You think of it, chances are it's already been griped about. While I can't change your mind (as the days go by it can be harder.) what I can do is recommend you hold off completely condemning the game until your 30 day trial has expired. And instead of complaining, do it where it will be felt the most, with your wallet. SE can be stupid, but not even they can be so stupid as to avoid these issues for long before it starts hurting them financially. I'm going with the belief that most if not all the major issues will be resolved with their next big update. It's gotta happen here soon hopefully within the next week. Don't quote me on that as there aren't any official sources yet, one can only hope...

And to lighten the mood think of this: For those who stick it out until it gets better we can consider ourselves old-timers. Years from now when they do add in an auction house picture this.

Newbie: "Man I hate this auction house! It's too hard searching for stuff."
Veteran: *overhears the newbie* "You youngin's have it so easy! Why, in my day we had to walk everywhere we wanted to go! There weren't any of those darn fangled airships you use, no sir'ree! We had ta use a thing call teleports and anima, and if ya ran out you had ta walk it! Oh but I'm not finished, we had ta go into these small crowded rooms and spend hours opening a menu and clicking! Those retainers you whipper-snappers use to store your junk we used to sell our stuff! So if'n ya want ta find find yerself a shiny new hempen cowl ya would have to hunt through thousands of retainers ta find it, and then hope it wasn't too expensive! That reminds me of a story when-"

5 hours later...

"-And that's why they never made Male Miqo'te as a playable race back then! So ya see- ah..." *looks around* "Oh uh... What was I doin' again? Oh well... Hey Billy!"

Newbie: "My name's not Billy..."
Veteran: "Huh? What's happenin'? Oh is that you Paul? Micheal? Bobby?"

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 9:55pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#64 Oct 05 2010 at 3:34 AM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Vawn43 wrote:
People either want the game to be the greatest thing ever creating a cultural revolution or they want it to crash and burn horribly. I think its human nature.


A lot of people (myself included) see it as a replacement scrappy for FFXI.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#65 Oct 05 2010 at 3:44 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Yes it is so terrible that every server is rammed nearly everwhere you go.

Dont like it, dont play it, leave forum, solved.
#66 Oct 05 2010 at 4:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
115 posts
well im long time ff11 player and played some of 14 so far here my impressions of it after playing on off last week and half.

first up for me at least crafting and fishing/mining are greatly improved over ff11.
Its much easier to gain skill in and is not at point where its overwhealming like it is in ff11 , the things i wish they would add to make it even better include an in game recipe book so each time you learn a recipe from a local leve that it goes into book under relevant section so i learn a blacksmith recipe thenit goes into that, a goldsmith into that ect, will make it easy to look up with out having search the web to remember things.

Missons are good bits of story but think there only a handful at the moment and hope next update is not to far away for them.
quests with other players seem no existant atm, i like that missions you can get done on your own solves a problem f11 had but no other quests is really weird , i have not explored whole world only really been in LL and atm feel i have no reason to go explore which is really disapointing to be honest.

would be cool if they added raids to dungeons , seriously its possible and ive never done a wow raid so im not comming from this from that point of view if anyone wondering, basicly a npc at start of dungeon that asks you go slay the boss like a imp warlord and his imp mininons or something at end of dungeon which could be good group activity in game and a break from leves.

my impression of classes , i know there not called jobs but isnt this just the same thing with a diffrent name , i know they tried really hard to change the view on this but if as i have been reading the exp curve gets insane at higher levels then there really is no diffrence between them and means you focus on 1 class rank up the others get left behind, why did they tie missions into classes it should have been physical level i think unlesss they planing something combat focused next update.

ok there few of my impressions , i think ff14 is in it building stages and hope the ui gets improved as well , dare i say maybe even an auction house is needed or a way to tell how much to sell something for, maybe they could do auction house with a max limit on what each item can be sold for meaning the gil sell problem would not be as big an issue maybe. so all rank 9 items can only be sold up to say 20 k gil rank 20 items 40k gil , ok maybe it bad idea but trying think out box atm.
#67alosiusbelvedere, Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 4:58 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) stop feeding the troll people..
#68 Oct 05 2010 at 7:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
678 posts
Despite it's issues, I'm still having fun with it. What do I care is some random guy on the internet hates the game? If I'm enjoying it, what does it really matter?
____________________________
FFXIV: Selina Aoyama
Moon-seeker Miqo'te
Server: Wutai
#69 Oct 05 2010 at 7:44 AM Rating: Excellent
**
589 posts
I enjoyed the game. I want to keep enjoying the game, but i've had to deal with a bug since my third day of early start. No GM has been of any help and the ingame option tell you at the end "thanks but we wont be telling you about a fix to yoru problem". And I keep finding more bugs. I still look foward to logging in, but quickly get discouraged because of all the bugs I have to deal with the instant I log in.

If you haven't come across any of these problems yourself you prolly think this game is great as it. not so much if you're me. Its not the lag, or UI, or lack of an AH thats making this game slowly unpalpable to me. The bugs, SP not award for some fights, fighting a mob for 5 minutes becasue it runs a few yalms and regens to full, etc...

No matter how much you like the game, you just cant ignore these problems. For now, most of the people I konw in game craft and craft only because....there really isnt much else to do. Yeah they did the main quest, but use leve to raise crafting levels and the money from the rest to craft more. I was like that too but the bug has prevents/unmotivates me from doing that.

Yeah it may be week two but not hearing of any fixs forthcomming has making me ill
#70 Oct 05 2010 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
bsphil wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.


To be fair, this analogy doesn't work because you would think that people who like the game would be posting here and those who don't wouldn't.

Also,

bsphil wrote:
Wint wrote:
Boy, for all of you rating down those who agree with me, does it drive you nuts that you can't rate me down? Smiley: grinSmiley: tongue

Well I'd rather just not pay money to use this forum.

I was going to do this anyway though for a different reason.


Yeah sure Smiley: tongue Even before I was an admin I paid for this site when the majority of my posts were in the OOT. If my stint as an admin ever ends I'll continuing paying, it's worth it imo.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#71 Oct 05 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
Guys... I cancelled my preorder because of what I saw in the beta and what other people had said about the CE.

But I caved in and bought it, and honestly the game's not all that bad.

I run on pretty much minimum settings, and I wish my cpu could run it better than it does... but I'm having fun!

I'm really, really bad at the game right now though. It's a steep learning curve. I think this might be why some people are upset... after years of knowing XI inside out, they come to XIV... and everything's new and confusing.

I agree, it has issues. And if they're not fixed by March, I'm going to SW:TOR... but give them a chance, guys. Seriously, it's been less than a week since official release.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#72 Oct 05 2010 at 8:38 AM Rating: Decent
When they remove the Armoury system, that's when I'll lose interest. Attack or defend the game all you want. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the game.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#73 Oct 05 2010 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
*
108 posts
When someone posts topics like this, they've crossed the line between "I have issues with the game" to "I'm not going to like this game."
____________________________
#74 Oct 05 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
339 posts
Wint wrote:
Boy, for all of you rating down those who agree with me, does it drive you nuts that you can't rate me down?


It may be worded in a nice manner but it is still a taunt nevertheless.

Ask yourself in all honestly why you made that particular remark. While it may be satisfying to you at that particular point in time, it is unbecoming of an administrator to be adding fuel to the fire.

And just so that you will know, people get rated down not because they are expressing different opinions or views, but because of reasons such as:

Being overly bias / illogical / senseless
Being factually incorrect
Being derisive, rude, abusive, insulting and overly aggressive
Containing racist or sexist remarks
Containing extreme remarks or views relating to religion or politics
Going way off topic
Creating redundant or numerous similar threads
Posting of silly or lazy questions (without reading through stickies / searching forums)
Posting in extremely bad english / wall-of-text / all CAPS
Necrobumping dead threads

-----

Back to the topic on hand.

Can anyone here honestly say that FFXIV is released without any major flaws? I seriously doubt so.

Many of us are / were long-time FFXI players and wanted SE to learn from their experience with FFXI and do well for FFXIV. Voicing our disappointment and highlighting areas that needed improvements are done in hopes of SE taking notice and implementing prompt remedial actions. We all know SE can do so much better with FFXIV and that is precisely why we felt so utterly disappointed.

Granted it may take time, but if only SE release an official statement to acknowledge the concerns brought up and ask to be given reasonable time, new threads similar to this will not be popping up day after day.

____________________________


[FFXI: Ragnarok Server]

Halflight - Elvaan Male
(Retired as of June 2009)
75: RDM WHM SCH BRD PLD BST | 37: All Other Jobs
Rank 10: San d'Oria, Windurst, Bastok

-----

[WoW: Nagrand Server]
85 NE Male Druid | 85 NE Male Priest | 85 NE Male Death Knight

#75 Oct 05 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
HalfLight wrote:
While it may be satisfying to you at that particular point in time, it is unbecoming of an administrator to be adding fuel to the fire.


Trust me, there is nothing satisfying about what is happening to these forums in terms of how the rating system is used.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#76 Oct 05 2010 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
HallieXIV wrote:

Cant unfortunately - not at home :-(

This is why I only post during the day when i cant play!


Me too. I rarely if ever post in the evening because I am either busy playing and having a great time, or hanging out with my lovely girlfriend and having a great time. I'm a lucky lady.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#77 Oct 05 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Wint wrote:
HalfLight wrote:
While it may be satisfying to you at that particular point in time, it is unbecoming of an administrator to be adding fuel to the fire.


Trust me, there is nothing satisfying about what is happening to these forums in terms of how the rating system is used.


Yeah well I wish you guys would start moving the whine threads to the feedback section - because this place has been a bummer to hang out in for the past few weeks.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#78 Oct 05 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
HalfLight wrote:

Being overly bias / illogical / senseless
Being factually incorrect
Being derisive, rude, abusive, insulting and overly aggressive
Containing racist or sexist remarks
Containing extreme remarks or views relating to religion or politics
Going way off topic
Creating redundant or numerous similar threads
Posting of silly or lazy questions (without reading through stickies / searching forums)
Posting in extremely bad english / wall-of-text / all CAPS
Necrobumping dead threads




Yeah right - If you say anything nice about the game - even if you bookend it with acknowledgment that there are still issues - people will rate you down. It is garbage. People are abusing the karma system and it takes all the fun out of actually having discussions.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#79 Oct 05 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
18 posts
Are people still defending it? I'm too busy playing it to defend it!
#80 Oct 05 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
133 posts
What do you mean "How bad must it get?"... You say that like it's been getting progressively worse... There haven't been any changes that made it WORSE since it got out.... It'll only get better. So I'm pretty sure those who defend it now, will continue to do so.
#81 Oct 05 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Reading these comments, it's pretty amazing how many people are "Sticking with it" until it gets better. I'm not sure about you, but when I spend 50~75 bucks on a game on top of a monthly subscription, I like it to not suck right away. Maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm crazy for believing that most of the basic issues with the game are supposed to be fixed during beta and not after the official release. And if I am, so be it, but it just seems **** silly to continue subscribing to a game that you hope will be updated in order to make it worthwhile.
____________________________
------------------
#82 Oct 05 2010 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Wint wrote:
bsphil wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.
To be fair, this analogy doesn't work because you would think that people who like the game would be posting here and those who don't wouldn't.
Which would be wrong, because you're assuming that anyone who doesn't like the game would just throw it away and never touch it again rather than want to see it improved. Not many people are so willing to toss $50-75 in the trash.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 12:58pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#83 Oct 05 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
I understand what you are saying but most of us "sticking with it" actually enjoy the game as is - even if we know we will enjoy the game MORE later when things are fixed.

Like I want to level miner and botanist more but I won't until SE unlocks the ability to buy more retainers because I have no inventory space. I am enjoying the game without more inventory space - but I will enjoy it MORE when I can expand my hoarding piles.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#84 Oct 05 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
421 posts
To be honest it plays better then FF11 did at NA launch (i can't imagine how horrific the JP launch was). That said there's lots of dumb crap and lots of unfinished stuff (so typical for SE with FF11).

The game is pretty much FF11 2.0 to me. Sure some stuff has changed but it's got a lot of the same flaws with being an overly hardcore game requiring time and research to play right. It's not going to be a massive success of WoW levels, but it will most likely be on par with FF11. Do you guys even remember how much hate FF11 generated?
____________________________
Nekoita - Unicorn - Rank 10 - Windurstian
85 SCH | 85 BLM | 85 WHM | 85 SMN | 85 PLD | 76 COR


#85 Oct 05 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
What's so bad about it?
#86 Oct 05 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
SquareEnix would have to come and perform amputations on my arms and legs without anesthetic and make me watch Justin Bieber music videos with matches to hold up my eyelids....THEN I would stop defending FFXIV.....but I'd still probably play.
#87 Oct 05 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Decent
18 posts
We take risks when we purchase games. I absolutely hated FFXIII, but it was generally well received by critics. I took a risk when I purchased it, and I paid the price. With regard to 14, I had the beta feedback and I chose to give it a shot. If it sucks, I have no one to blame but myself for being an ill informed, idealistic, impatient consumer.

In the end, just speak with (the remainder of) your money. If SE won't listen, them's the breaks.

For the record, there are many things I would like to see fixed but no one is making me log in.
#88 Oct 05 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,233 posts
Granted I don't have to pay per month, but StarCraft II is fairly new, 5+ years in the making, $60 retail, tons of developers and beta tests behind it and it still feels unbalanced. There's hundreds of complaint posts per day about how underpowered Zerg is on their official forums, and to be honest I feel the same way, but the game is still fun, so I still play it and hope it gets worked out with time. I feel no need to discourage potential players and hopeful Zerg from playing a fantastic game just because it's not exactly how I thought it would be.

I could, sometimes I want to because I get so mad about it, but I don't because I still enjoy it.

FFXIV to me, is the same way. There are very frustrating things about it like the UI lag, general menu lag, and the lack of an AH; but it also would never stop me from playing a game I enjoy. Most of the quirks I experienced during beta have been fixed, and in general I believe the game is working as intended but may require balancing in the future (for skill gains while healing vs spamming, etc). Squeenix has a reputation for not communicating timely with its customers, but in the end they always seem to work out the kinks.

FFXIII got tons of negative comments/reviews/reputation, but it was probably my 2nd favorite FF of the series.

The old adage says you can't judge a book by it's cover.
____________________________
"I'm gonna get nice and drunk, then play video games until my eyes bleed." Charlie (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
#89 Oct 05 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
410 posts
I've decided that I will give SE until the end of the free trial to make some sort of progress towards any one of the myriad of problems the game currently faces, else I'm history.
#90 Oct 05 2010 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Paracleets wrote:
Granted I don't have to pay per month, but StarCraft II is fairly new, 5+ years in the making, $60 retail, tons of developers and beta tests behind it and it still feels unbalanced. There's hundreds of complaint posts per day about how underpowered Zerg is on their official forums, and to be honest I feel the same way, but the game is still fun, so I still play it and hope it gets worked out with time. I feel no need to discourage potential players and hopeful Zerg from playing a fantastic game just because it's not exactly how I thought it would be.

I could, sometimes I want to because I get so mad about it, but I don't because I still enjoy it.

FFXIV to me, is the same way. There are very frustrating things about it like the UI lag, general menu lag, and the lack of an AH; but it also would never stop me from playing a game I enjoy. Most of the quirks I experienced during beta have been fixed, and in general I believe the game is working as intended but may require balancing in the future (for skill gains while healing vs spamming, etc). Squeenix has a reputation for not communicating timely with its customers, but in the end they always seem to work out the kinks.

FFXIII got tons of negative comments/reviews/reputation, but it was probably my 2nd favorite FF of the series.

The old adage says you can't judge a book by it's cover.
Balance is something I'd give them a pass on for release. CON right now is pretty overpowered, but that's something that can be tweaked down the road. Poor UI design/functionality is a much deeper problem than just balancing classes.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#91 Oct 05 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
46 posts
Enscheff wrote:
How much longer can you guys possibly defend this terrible game?

From everything I have read and seen, FFXIV is a complete failure. I, like many others, saw the problems and lack of fixes in beta, but everyone just kept saying, "It is beta, wait for release".

Well the game is released, nothing was fixed, and people hate it. I read far more people writing "I really want to like this game", than I see people saying they like it. Is it really a good game if folks have to try to force themselves to like it and play?

The price of the game has already dropped to $40, and it is not even on the shelves in bulk anymore at most game stores. This is the time when folks that were waiting for the first reviews would be making their purchases, and they aren't buying it so the price is dropping like a rock. Maybe I will buy it from the bargain bin at Office Depot for $5 in 3 months.


No **** dumba$$, you will always see more posts from the vocal minority (saying they dislike the game) than the majority of us who are in the game playing it any enjoying it.

Why would those of us who are playing the game daily/semi-daily come to the forums just to post that we like the game. We are playing it, so obviously we like it.

You, on the other hand, come on the forums and read some posts from people who do not like the game, and form an opinion from those posts that the game sucks w/o playing it yourself? There are few people on this forum dumber than you... At least those other people who don't like FFXIV have played it.

TL;DR - If you don't want to try the game because you've decided it sucks without playing it, then why are you here wasting your time? Go play something you do like.
____________________________


#92 Oct 05 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Like many have mentioned, these forums are fubar lately so I mostly ignore them unfortunately. Though I'm diggin' this new dark theme...good to see that's up. Taking a break right now though and figured I'd respond to this. We were just talking in LS chat about all the crap we want improved. It's not like the people enjoying the game think it's perfect. Far from it. There's tons of annoyances that sometimes pile up and become overwhelming, I get close to losing it & then I reach a new storyline quest that gets me interested again. The rank15 was great and I just finished the rank20 that had a nice little surprise for me. Also reaching 20 in some classes now and getting to join guilds and do those quests.

Like I mentioned in one of the many other threads on this subject...people saw all the negative talk during beta. Anyone who still bought the game despite that & despite not liking their beta experience(if they played beta) has only themselves to blame. As for being one who enjoys enough of the game to keep playing, I don't have to defend why. I can see where the game is going and decide what to do with my own money as it moves forward without announcing it to the forums and hating anyone who disagrees.

Edit-
Oh yeah, forgot to mention getting guildmarks & enough faction credits to start trying faction leves as well.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 3:38pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#93 Oct 05 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
it has been my observation it take a "special" gamer to play FFXI or FFXIV when compared to other MMORPG's. FF MMO fans, especially those on forums, have VERY strong "soft skills." (this is where i'm a bit different). If you played pretty much any other successful MMORPG since launch or even beta, you already know FFXIV is a disaster of technical and playable issues; try reading the professional reviews. You'll continue to see posts such as "it's only been a month, ALL mmo's have problems like this in the first month" well, that person never played another MMO other than FFXI. AION was pretty recent and a good example. it was not hard to get into the BETA, I was there, and even then the game ran with far less issues then FFXIV in production.

However, some don't have a choice to put up with this, myself included. I couldn't stand WoW, LOTR, or AION because it was too dam EASY and the only real "fun" in the game is PVP. FFXI was hard and SE did not disappoint with the difficulty in FFXIV, thats why i play.

I do agree that much of the player base should not egg on SE awful release with complements and excuses for them, but the professional reviews speak loudly enough for it... After 7 years of FFXI SE still could not get it right, so don't expect anything soon (including an AH...)

I do wish they would add some form of "real" PVP with actual benefits. Some players are FAR too high on the soft skill and I wouldn't mind ganking them :) i.e. OP, would you like to gank some of these who insist this was a good release =)
#94 Oct 05 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
IMO the game hasn't really finished being released until we get that 6g update SE made a point of letting everyone know about.
#95 Oct 05 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Does this mean I'm trolling if I like the game?
#96 Oct 05 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
bsphil wrote:
Wint wrote:
bsphil wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.
To be fair, this analogy doesn't work because you would think that people who like the game would be posting here and those who don't wouldn't.
Which would be wrong, because you're assuming that anyone who doesn't like the game would just throw it away and never touch it again rather than want to see it improved. Not many people are so willing to toss $50-75 in the trash.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 12:58pm by bsphil


I'm also assuming that if you spent that much on a game, you criticism would be constructive. Right now people are just venting, there is very little of anything productive going on here. The best complaint thread I read was actually where it needed to be, in the feedback forum, and was well thought out and well written.

Also, what Olo said. Some of us are having fun, which to those of you who aren't must seem like a sin by the way you attack us for saying so.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#97 Oct 05 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Here's my take on the whole thing. People who are posting that they don't like it aren't (for the most part) trolling. Saying. 'if you don't like it gtfo' is counterproductive, because these are people are are mostly mentioning things a large portion of people have a problem with, and want fixed. You may be fine going to the beach with some awesome celebrity who occasionally is kicking some sand into your face, but you'd probably enjoy it a whole lot more if they didn't. Likewise saying 'people who like this game won't post here' is naive because for one, the amount of staunch defenders is high, and two, people come to this forum to generally discuss what they DO like, class issues, game mechanics, plot, etc. So both sides need to realize this and chill the f out.

My other comment is that during beta the forums were just as fired up, however most of the comments i read from the SE defenders said 'it's just beta, it's going to be fixed for release' or 'auction house isn't in beta because no one would test market wards of course there's going to be an auction house'. Things like that. Now that some of that stuff hasn't been fixed the conversation changed to 'everything is fine if you don't like it gtfo'. That saddens me because I really really wanted this game to be worth it and i don't think forcing myself to look for the good and ignore the bad is good game design. Yes, i see a lot of positive, and have had fun, but that doesn't mean everything SE did was perfect and there shouldn't be discussion on how it could be better or what NEEDS to be fixed.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#98 Oct 05 2010 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
If I like it already and things that do annoy me are getting fixed... so how could it get worse? If you don't like the game, why do you feel the need to try to convince everyone else not to like it?


I would click like 100x just by reading your post. :D
____________________________
Check out my awesome adventure at http://fantaji.com/-/5Bc . If you don't know about Fantaji then you're missing out!
#99 Oct 05 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Anakte wrote:
Yes, i see a lot of positive, and have had fun, but that doesn't mean everything SE did was perfect and there shouldn't be discussion on how it could be better or what NEEDS to be fixed.


I never said there shouldn't be discussion and I can guarantee you that the devs know there is work to be done. As I said above though, the criticism needs to be constructive instead of 3/4 of the page dedicated to people ranting. If you have an issue, clearly outline it and perhaps start discussion with a thought out post on how you would fix it. ZOMG THE UI SUXXX is not an intelligent conversation starter Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#100 Oct 05 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Wint wrote:
I never said there shouldn't be discussion and I can guarantee you that the devs know there is work to be done. As I said above though, the criticism needs to be constructive instead of 3/4 of the page dedicated to people ranting. If you have an issue, clearly outline it and perhaps start discussion with a thought out post on how you would fix it. ZOMG THE UI SUXXX is not an intelligent conversation starter Smiley: smile


You didn't say there shouldn't be discussion, but many others have, with the blind-eye 'why are you here if you don't like the game' type comments. I feel this just escalates the discussions into arguments because i know it frustrates me when i see so many people blatantly ignoring issues and i feel I'm usually fairly level headed about these things. There are significant issues, and while some people might not elaborate on them clearly, dismissing them because they aren't the most thought provoking conversation starters is just as bad as blind ranting.

It doesn't help that feedback from SE is few and far between despite a 'commitment' to being more open to it.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#101 Oct 05 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
I have been in a ton of launches, so let me start off with that

Every launch, it never fails to see TONS of posts like this
you always have that 1 guy trying to convince everyone the game sucks cuz it isnt perfectly the way he likes it

Why dont you let those of us who enjoy the game play it without harrassing us about it?
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)