Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

How bad must it get for you to stop defending FFXIV?Follow

#102 Oct 05 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Vedis wrote:
I have been in a ton of launches, so let me start off with that

Every launch, it never fails to see TONS of posts like this
you always have that 1 guy trying to convince everyone the game sucks cuz it isnt perfectly the way he likes it

Why dont you let those of us who enjoy the game play it without harrassing us about it?

See, this is what I'm talking about :) Why can't it be that you enjoy the game but recognize that there are things that need fixing or could be improved upon without immediately making the jump to 'zomg you suck gtfo'.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#103 Oct 05 2010 at 3:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Anakte wrote:
Vedis wrote:
I have been in a ton of launches, so let me start off with that

Every launch, it never fails to see TONS of posts like this
you always have that 1 guy trying to convince everyone the game sucks cuz it isnt perfectly the way he likes it

Why dont you let those of us who enjoy the game play it without harrassing us about it?

See, this is what I'm talking about :) Why can't it be that you enjoy the game but recognize that there are things that need fixing or could be improved upon without immediately making the jump to 'zomg you suck gtfo'.



every game has issues at launch
EVERY game

I will say this one has less then others due in some senses
such as the fact you dont quickly run out of things to do

but in every launch ive been in its the same thing

-OMG the economy sucks(how the **** can you even think economy on launch day? but every time there are a ton who do)
-Lack of content(theres always a ton who do this too, regardless of how much there is, the game could have 4000 quests at launch, and its not enough)
-Its missing feature XXX that I wanted(not every feature can make it in at a launch, and some will always take priority over others. It takes time to code and add things in, you can not expect them overnight)
-The lag sucks(when doesnt it? lag means there are people on, people on means the game is probably in a good state, now if there was 0 lag and you didnt see people, thats when to complain)
-The game is a clone of XXX(what game didnt copy something from others?)
-The devs didnt fix anything in beta!(you wanna bet they did? just cuz they didnt change what you wanted doesnt mean they did nothing).

and the list goes on, welcome to your average launch people! a few things i will give them credit for, probably due to experience

1- Lack of crashing, most launches have TONS of them
2- Havent run out of stuff to do, in most games, me personaly, i can be at the end of the game in days, well, 2 weeks later and im still doing stuff here


also, its not just the people who respond and say they like it, its the posters who hate in general
99.9% of the time, they will just state it sucks, and not say why, or give any constructive critisism.
its a pure fact right there, haters just wanna hate

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 2:12pm by Vedis
____________________________


#104 Oct 05 2010 at 3:16 PM Rating: Decent
**
696 posts
Enscheff wrote:
How much longer can you guys possibly defend this terrible game?

From everything I have read and seen, FFXIV is a complete failure. I, like many others, saw the problems and lack of fixes in beta, but everyone just kept saying, "It is beta, wait for release".

Well the game is released, nothing was fixed, and people hate it. I read far more people writing "I really want to like this game", than I see people saying they like it. Is it really a good game if folks have to try to force themselves to like it and play?

The price of the game has already dropped to $40, and it is not even on the shelves in bulk anymore at most game stores. This is the time when folks that were waiting for the first reviews would be making their purchases, and they aren't buying it so the price is dropping like a rock. Maybe I will buy it from the bargain bin at Office Depot for $5 in 3 months.


I'm liking it. If you aren't quit. simple as that.

Beta wasn't bad. Severe problems DID get fixed. Some other severe problems are on the chopping block as per standard mmo release. Actually faster and more responsive with changes than most mmos so far. How much longer can you QQ before you decide we have seen it all before and it means nothing? I bet you can't give me an answer for that.
#105 Oct 05 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Ui lag and lag are different things, lag at a launch is reasonable, ui lag shouldn't be an issue during beta, never mind launch.
The retainer based economy is a terrible idea for a game that they have consistently called casual friendly.
The organization of menus and hoops you have to jump through (worsened by ui lag) could have been cleaned up during beta.
The repair system and the disconnect between npc repair cost, repair materials, and crafting proficiencies needed are not a bug issue but a design issue.

That's just a few things that have nothing to do with the launch but are all very real concerns. Just pointing out some of the issues and saying 'all games have issues at launch' is in fact, ignoring the very real concerns people have. All in all from a technical perspective, I will be the first one to say SE did a great job and the server stability has been unusually solid for a launch. The problem most people have isn't the technical launch week issues, but the core game mechanics that so many people like yourself fail to address.

I'm not saying the game is terrible, I've already said multiple times I enjoy the game and it has a lot of potential, but there are things that need to be addressed and shutting your eyes, covering your ears, and screaming 'SE can do no wrong' doesn't get those things fixed.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#106 Oct 05 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Default
***
2,987 posts
I'm starting to think the devs for FFXIV are trying to make SE and its shareholders go broke. People quitting FFXIV faster than they are quitting FFXI is kinda unexpected @.@. Just had 3 LS guys return to FFXI swearing they are gonna try to get a refund for FFXIV.
____________________________
=10 is about My Little Pony.
Some people say I'm the DEVIL.
Aluus wrote:
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU EVIL EVIL *******!!!!!!!!

KaneIsthara wrote:
You are the devil. Now it's gonna happen.

Kaolian wrote:
Also Tofu. We totally ban over Tofu as well.

My Brute - Valiarius
#107 Oct 05 2010 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Well, count me as one that is disappointed with this game. I wasn't a beta tester so didn't have much of a clue what I was getting into other than reading things here. I don't have a big beef with the game itself. The graphics are beautiful, the levequests seem like a great system. My problem is SE gives absolutely no direction or instruction on what in the **** you are even supposed to be doing other than some completely vague NPC dialogue. Granted, starting out in FFXI was pretty much the same unless you bought a Brady Guide. Seriously, have you looked at the game manual? All it has is how to install the game, set up an account, log in, and what the controls are. Where's the tutorials that get you used to playing or tell you where to get started in a class? I think I was mining for a good hour and a half before an actual tutorial popped up and gave some vague instructions on how to do it. I thought this was supposed to be a CASUAL player friendly game, but it is anything but. Game requires you to go research everything on your own, through 3rd party sources no less, to even get going. And yes, I have checked out the Lodestone website. Total lack of information other than the very basics. I want to like this game, I really do, but I don't have nor want to spend countless hours having to scour websites for game information when it should be right there in the game. Either that, or quit lying about it being a casual player MMO. Casual players expect a little hand holding and I have yet to experience it.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 4:57pm by Harri
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#108 Oct 05 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
How bad must it get? Here's how bad.

The game servers will have to crash repeatedly every 10 minutes for an entire day due to some sort of world event resetting over and over.

RMT will have to drop corpses from the sky to make a body pattern that spells out their website.

The game dev will have to force us to use our email as our login.

Certain classes will have to dominate every other class.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I'm really too busy enjoying the game to post for more than 3 mins at a time here.
#109 Oct 05 2010 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Wint wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Wint wrote:
bsphil wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
I guess I cant understand it because I really enjoy playing the game.
If you like the game then stop posting and gtfo and go play.

See how crazy that line of thinking sounds? It sounds just as dumb the other way. I realize your post didn't explicitly say this sort of thing, but it's been bothering me for a while now.
To be fair, this analogy doesn't work because you would think that people who like the game would be posting here and those who don't wouldn't.
Which would be wrong, because you're assuming that anyone who doesn't like the game would just throw it away and never touch it again rather than want to see it improved. Not many people are so willing to toss $50-75 in the trash.


I'm also assuming that if you spent that much on a game, you criticism would be constructive. Right now people are just venting, there is very little of anything productive going on here. The best complaint thread I read was actually where it needed to be, in the feedback forum, and was well thought out and well written.
Yes, not every response is a good one, that applies to both sides though.

Wint wrote:
Some of us are having fun, which to those of you who aren't must seem like a sin by the way you attack us for saying so.
Eh? Persecution complex?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#110 Oct 05 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
A sin? No. Wonder if we're talking the same game? Yes.
____________________________
#111 Oct 05 2010 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Looking at how the ratings are tilted, no, it's not a persecution context. Though I think it would be wise for the mods to start looking for rate socks on these forums.

Quote:
How bad must it get? Here's how bad.

The game servers will have to crash repeatedly every 10 minutes for an entire day due to some sort of world event resetting over and over.

RMT will have to drop corpses from the sky to make a body pattern that spells out their website.

The game dev will have to force us to use our email as our login.

Certain classes will have to dominate every other class.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I'm really too busy enjoying the game to post for more than 3 mins at a time here.


You've just described portions from various actual MMOs. (Writing the name in corpses has been done in WoW, 10 minute server crashes reminds me of Aion's launch. FFXI still suffers from major class imbalances.

And yet, I can't bring to call any of these indiviudal games "BAD" (And Aion in particular had a gigantic RMT issue at launch as well as other major problems on top of a gigantic leveling curve to boot.)

The issue is, I have to dislike the baseline parts of the game in order to truely dislike it. Record of Argus War is a great game, if you had the paitence go get past the slowness of it. Same for games like The Last Remnant. Yet, I don't like WoW, the most popular MMO. Why? Cause I dislike the mithos and where they took the story with Warcraft 3. The game's not 'bad'. Does it have issues, yes.

But I'm not going to stop defending a game that I enjoy, period. However, I realy don't have to 'prove' anything. Honestly, if you don't like something because of it's flaws, don't invest in it. Trying to get a 'refund' or your worth out of it because you don't like it's current state is trying to get a refund from your date cause s/he had a bad initial personality and diddn't 'put out'.

Most of us diddn't expect the '***' on the first night and are simply enjoying having a good time, and aren't sweating the things that are going wrong.

****, I'd say MMO's are better than relationships due to the fact that you've usually got a better chance in seing some of the more glaring flaws be fixed in an MMO, where people (like those who incessantly whine about video games) usually don't change easily.
#112 Oct 05 2010 at 5:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
339 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Yeah right - If you say anything nice about the game - even if you bookend it with acknowledgment that there are still issues - people will rate you down. It is garbage. People are abusing the karma system and it takes all the fun out of actually having discussions.


Not everyone goes about indiscriminatingly rating down posts that expresses different opinions or rating up posts that expresses similar views.

-----

I will not fill half a page of my posts with quotes from the opposing view which I felt are good but this in particular stood out and brought out a laugh from me:

SleeplessMickey wrote:
SquareEnix would have to come and perform amputations on my arms and legs without anesthetic and make me watch Justin Bieber music videos with matches to hold up my eyelids....THEN I would stop defending FFXIV.....but I'd still probably play.

____________________________


[FFXI: Ragnarok Server]

Halflight - Elvaan Male
(Retired as of June 2009)
75: RDM WHM SCH BRD PLD BST | 37: All Other Jobs
Rank 10: San d'Oria, Windurst, Bastok

-----

[WoW: Nagrand Server]
85 NE Male Druid | 85 NE Male Priest | 85 NE Male Death Knight

#113 Oct 05 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Hyrist, ****** Superhero wrote:
Looking at how the ratings are tilted, no, it's not a persecution context.
Complex, not context, and I wasn't talking to you.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#114 Oct 05 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
bsphil wrote:
Yes, not every response is a good one, that applies to both sides though.


I agree completely Smiley: thumbsup

bsphil wrote:
Eh? Persecution complex?


I wouldn't say that, I can see every rating on every post and nobody on either side of the argument has clean hands. That's why I said there was nothing satisfying about the way people are using karma here, and I'm looking at both sides of this particular argument Smiley: glare
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#115 Oct 05 2010 at 9:51 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
This thread kinda reminds me of this.

http://xkcd.com/359/

We're not allowed to have fun 'cause they're not having fun, therefor it must not be fun.

This has always baffled me. Instead of being a normal person, and going 'Oh, this person likes different things than me. Well whatever floats his boat.' people actually take the time and effort, and proper wording, energy and thought process to come down, tell you how wrong you are, attempt to make you feel bad about it, tell you other games that are obviously better, and will always better (and of course you can assume they play it, which makes them better than you.), then continue to ramble on about anyone who defends it is just a fanboy, and that of course makes them not human, in some fashion...

Isn't is somewhat sickening? Every time I see a troll, or a troll-like person with a troll-like post, I just sit back and go "Wow. This person put a lot of time and effort into making sure these groups of people felt really bad about themselves. I feel sorry for that troll."

This is followed by me mumbling to myself about social life, and how bitter humanity in general is.

I just wish, both of you, people on the pro side of FF14, and people on the con side of FF14 would just let it go.

Haters of FF14, just sit back and laugh silently as people waste their money on a crap game.

Lovers of FF14, just sit back and smile as you play the game of your dreams.

No one else really needs to know.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 11:53pm by KonobiKun
#116 Oct 05 2010 at 10:03 PM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
KonobiKun wrote:

Lovers of FF14, just sit back and smile as you play the game of your dreams.


Man i really needed a good laugh, thank you sir ^.^
#117 Oct 05 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
And just so that you will know, people get rated down not because they are expressing different opinions or views, but because of reasons such as:

Being overly bias / illogical / senseless
Being factually incorrect
Being derisive, rude, abusive, insulting and overly aggressive
Containing racist or sexist remarks
Containing extreme remarks or views relating to religion or politics
Going way off topic
Creating redundant or numerous similar threads
Posting of silly or lazy questions (without reading through stickies / searching forums)
Posting in extremely bad english / wall-of-text / all CAPS
Necrobumping dead threads

I get rated down 75% of the time, just because I tend to represent the unpopular opinion or uncomfortable truth. No matter how benignly written, the majority of this forum see the red arrow as "I disagree" button, even when they know what they're rating down is 100% fact, no matter how they may hate it.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 12:12am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#118 Oct 05 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
Xclusive215 wrote:
KonobiKun wrote:

Lovers of FF14, just sit back and smile as you play the game of your dreams.


Man i really needed a good laugh, thank you sir ^.^

I feel really bad for you, and I hope everything goes better for you. :(
#119 Oct 05 2010 at 10:25 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
KonobiKun wrote:
Xclusive215 wrote:
KonobiKun wrote:

Lovers of FF14, just sit back and smile as you play the game of your dreams.


Man i really needed a good laugh, thank you sir ^.^

I feel really bad for you, and I hope everything goes better for you. :(


And why do you feel bad for me?? Is getting a good laugh like getting bubonic plague, losing an arm, or... oh maybe you feel bad for me that i wasted $80 on the CE of FFXIV??

/em writes this down in his CE Adventurer's journal
#120 Oct 05 2010 at 10:31 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
Xclusive215 wrote:
KonobiKun wrote:
Xclusive215 wrote:
KonobiKun wrote:

Lovers of FF14, just sit back and smile as you play the game of your dreams.


Man i really needed a good laugh, thank you sir ^.^

I feel really bad for you, and I hope everything goes better for you. :(


And why do you feel bad for me?? Is getting a good laugh like getting bubonic plague, losing an arm, or... oh maybe you feel bad for me that i wasted $80 on the CE of FFXIV??

/em writes this down in his CE Adventurer's journal

If you're having fun good for you~ /serious
#121 Oct 05 2010 at 10:38 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
I enjoy the game, so I'm playing it.

Sorry that bothers you?
#122 Oct 05 2010 at 10:38 PM Rating: Decent
I think a lot of people should have waited for the PS3 release. After reading a lot of the posts lately, i have come to the conclusion that a ton of people tried to sneak by with their lower end PC's. That's not to say there aren't any issues with the game, it just means a low end PC will make those problems 100 times worse.
People were in a rush to get the game, and they got it. I'm also betting , that when a lot of people come back to the game, they will ***** about being left behind. Can't win em all i guess.
#123 Oct 05 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
SirBraneDamuj wrote:
I enjoy the game, so I'm playing it.

Sorry that bothers you?


Not at all. That's totally awesome.

I think I mistook that previous post as sarcasm.

Sorry :(
#124 Oct 05 2010 at 11:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
608 posts
why do people keep crying about this?
dont like dont play move on, its that simple dont try to ruin it for the rest of the people who want to play it. just STFU and dont worry about it since you dont like it.
#125 Oct 05 2010 at 11:51 PM Rating: Default
I dont understand why so many people say this game is bad or this game wont last or this game is dieing. This game was just born. This game is built for certain type of players... Guess what if you dont like the game or you dont have fun playing it then dont play it, just because you dont like it doesnt me you need to write a 1000 word post on why the game sucks and why we should all quit.

Alot of people like this game, ALOT of people are enjoying this game, ALOT of people dont plan on quiting any time soon. No matter what MMO you play or What game is released weather its a MMO or FPS or RTS, There is always going to be people complaining because the game did not live up to their expectations.

This Forums is getting flooded with to many stupid post from lil kids whinning becasue this game is not fun for them... Just stop playing and move on because 90% of the poeple here and still playing the game Enjoy it and there is nothing you can say or do to change that so just leave it alone.
____________________________
"Reason itself is fallible, and this fallibility must find a place in our logic."
-Nicola Abbagnano-
#126 Oct 05 2010 at 11:56 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
This Forums is getting flooded with to many stupid post from lil kids
The irony is biting.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#127 Oct 05 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
why do people keep crying about this?
dont like dont play move on, its that simple dont try to ruin it for the rest of the people who want to play it. just STFU and dont worry about it since you dont like it.

You people keep saying this. Fact is most people complaining are trying to IMPROVE IT for everyone. People that don't want things to change say nothing.

As such I would say, the ones complaining want to play the game more than you who want 'pretend happy sunshine'.

That's the problem with the disagreements on the forum right now. The "lets just be quiet" side thinks the "complainers" are trying to make the game fail. As I keep saying what will make the game fail is saying nothing and letting all problems remain. Voicing complaints is fighting for the game's survival.

If you've read my thread to the game's artists, you'll understand how a lack of complaining is what led to the game being released in this problem-riddled form in the first place. In their case they had to be quiet because of risking job loss. SE has no power over us, we have a lot of complaining to do for the sake of those poor employees that can't.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 2:09am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#128 Oct 06 2010 at 12:33 AM Rating: Default
RattyBatty wrote:
Quote:
why do people keep crying about this?
dont like dont play move on, its that simple dont try to ruin it for the rest of the people who want to play it. just STFU and dont worry about it since you dont like it.

You people keep saying this. Fact is most people complaining are trying to IMPROVE IT for everyone. People that don't want things to change say nothing.

As such I would say, the ones complaining want to play the game more than you who want 'pretend happy sunshine'.

That's the problem with the disagreements on the forum right now. The "lets just be quiet" side thinks the "complainers" are trying to make the game fail. As I keep saying what will make the game fail is saying nothing and letting all problems remain. Voicing complaints is fighting for the game's survival.

If you've read my thread to the game's artists, you'll understand how a lack of complaining is what led to the game being released in this problem-riddled form in the first place. In their case they had to be quiet because of risking job loss. SE has no power over us, we have a lot of complaining to do for the sake of those poor employees that can't.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 2:09am by RattyBatty


This isn't entirely true. There's a big difference between:
Are we there yet?
and
Are we there yet? huh? are we? are we there yet? c'mon we got to be there by now.... are we there yet?

Which question would you answer, and which one would you ignore?

Voicing your opinion on the game in hopes of having it heard is one thing.
Voicing your same opinion over and over and over again is an entirely different animal, and i'm sure you understand that.

Edit- 1 thread or 50 threads doesn't matter. It only takes 1 thread to list the issues, and speak your mind. The Zam admin's can easily label a thread for SE and sticky it. Having 50 new threads a day, of the same **** issues is more than just annoying. It takes away from posters who come here seeking information.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 2:38am by Tenfooterten
#129 Oct 06 2010 at 12:37 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
This isn't entirely true. There's a big difference between:
Are we there yet?
and
Are we there yet? huh? are we? are we there yet? c'mon we got to be there by now.... are we there yet?

Which question would you answer, and which one would you ignore?

Voicing your opinion on the game in hopes of having it heard is one thing.
Voicing your same opinion over and over and over again is an entirely different animal, and i'm sure you understand that.

Oversimplifying. Dad driving the car is miles different from a corporation charging me for a flawed product and are charging me while they may or may not fix the problem soon. In one case asking once is better, in the other, only mass action is needed to move a MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION. They don't hear "one voice".

If I'm paying a taxi driver to take me someplace, and he ignores me when I ask him "when will we get there?". You bet your *** i'm asking until he tells me, I'm paying that *****.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 2:39am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#130 Oct 06 2010 at 12:49 AM Rating: Default
RattyBatty wrote:
Quote:
This isn't entirely true. There's a big difference between:
Are we there yet?
and
Are we there yet? huh? are we? are we there yet? c'mon we got to be there by now.... are we there yet?

Which question would you answer, and which one would you ignore?

Voicing your opinion on the game in hopes of having it heard is one thing.
Voicing your same opinion over and over and over again is an entirely different animal, and i'm sure you understand that.

Oversimplifying. Dad driving the car is miles different from a corporation charging me for a flawed product and are charging me while they may or may not fix the problem soon. In one case asking once is better, in the other, only mass action is needed to move a MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION. They don't hear "one voice".

If I'm paying a taxi driver to take me someplace, and he ignores me when I ask him "when will we get there?". You bet your *** i'm asking until he tells me, I'm paying that *****.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 2:39am by RattyBatty

You can't say flawed product. That is opinion. The product may not live up to your expectations, but it isn't flawed. If you must get realistic. You could prove my point by trying to sue SE for selling you a flawed product. You would never make it to court. The game is everything they claimed it to be. Not only that, but i think you missed my point. I'm not saying that 5000 people shouldn't speak up. I am saying that 5000 people making 5000 different threads about the same exact issues is redundant and irritating to anyone. It lacks credibility. If you want your collective voices to be heard, tighten things up. Be more adult about it. I don't mean you personally by the way.

Take your taxi cab story for instance. If you asked your driver how long, he would answer you. If you were a total *** about it, he may take you for a ride. How you get treated is a direct reflection on how you treat people.
There have been a couple really good discussions about what can be improved. A couple. Thats it. That leaves 4,998 threads of "I hate this crap", and "This game sucks" threads. If i was a developer, i wouldn't give those threads a second look.
#131 Oct 06 2010 at 1:08 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
You can't say flawed product. That is opinion. The product may not live up to your expectations, but it isn't flawed.


Oh yes I can say flawed.

Missing features that are key to function, are flaws. Missing inventory sort is like a button missing on a remote. You can't say:
"Hold on, keep paying us until we ship the button to you. What's that? 'When's it gonna be shipped'? Hold on someone's calling me".

There are basic things that should be in this game as default. And functional problems in the form of horrible lag of varying intensities.

You're right some are 'options' that can wait to be added. But don't pretend that they're all things that would "just be nice to have" and aren't valid reasons to be upset consumers for being sold half a base-product.


Edited, Oct 6th 2010 3:11am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#132 Oct 06 2010 at 1:47 AM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
Tenfooterten wrote:

This isn't entirely true. There's a big difference between:
Are we there yet?
and
Are we there yet? huh? are we? are we there yet? c'mon we got to be there by now.... are we there yet?

Which question would you answer, and which one would you ignore?

Voicing your opinion on the game in hopes of having it heard is one thing.
Voicing your same opinion over and over and over again is an entirely different animal, and i'm sure you understand that.




Actually, I think it's more like:


There are three people in a car.

Of course, there's the driver, who built the car and has invited some friends along for a roadtrip.

The friends are person A, and person B.

The driver decides to go off the road, 'cuz he's such a good driver, and knows shortcuts, he thinks GPS and maps are for newbs. Pioneers didn't use maps, or GPS.

Person A loves the world zipping by, the scenery, the mesas, whatever. Person A also loves licking the car windows. Everything is just peachy for Person A.

Person B realizes there's a cliff up ahead, and asks, "Hey, there's a cliff up ahead, are we going to stop, or turn?" The driver doesn't respond, but Person A does.

"Stop worrying so much and enjoy the ride!"

So, Person B minds his own business for a short while, but the driver doesn't seem to be turning, or slowing down, or doing much of anything other than heading towards the cliff. This is starting to really bother B. "Hey, guys...we really need to do something, we're approaching that cliff really fast... why are we still heading towards it like it's not there?!"

"A" just sighs. The driver seems pretty confident in what he's doing, like he's done this before, or something. He even reaches over and pats "A" on the head.

The sun's shining down over the landscape and the view of the cliff grows larger. "B" looks at the rear-view mirror and notices the driver's face, this sends B into panic; the eyes, well, they weren't so much eyes as they were blood-shot & bulbous protrusions from the skull, seemingly trying to free themselves from sockets they weren't native to. Resting below the "eyes" and nose was a mouth that grins ever-so-widely. "H-Hey... what the ****, man?! What are you doing...?! SLOW-DOWN, TURN, DO SOMETHING!" Shouts B.

Once again, there's no response from the driver towards "B", but "A" responds, "OMG STFU, YOU'RE RUINING THE RIDE!"

"B" tries to reason with himself, that maybe the menacing grin and wide-eyes of the driver weren't indicative of his intent, and that maybe he wasn't mad. Maybe person A wasn't completely oblivious. Maybe all of this was some sort of joke.

But no, the impending cliff fills the view ahead, and everyone else in the car seem to have no problem with that. The point of no-return is almost here, and no-one is doing anything about it. In some attempt at self-preservation, B reaches for the seat-belt, but there are no seat-belts. "Hey...where are the ******** seatbelts?!" asks B, desperately.

The driver looks at B, focusing those eyes on him through the rear-view mirror, "Oh those...I was planning on putting them in later, I didn't think it was all that important at this time!" then, the eyes re-focus on the cliff ahead.

“B” fully realizes the situation that he's in, and that the car would inevitably plunge off that cliff if he didn't stop the driver, or get him to steer away.

B leans forward and pleads with the driver,“What the **** are you trying to do exactly?! Steer away, stop, do something, PLEASE! ”

A's smile quickly turns to a sneer, “You know what, I'm getting really sick of all your complaining! Why did you even come along for this trip? All you're doing is ruining the experience!”


...and... I think this about where we're at right now as far as this story goes.




Edited, Oct 6th 2010 4:10am by ghosthacked
#133 Oct 06 2010 at 2:09 AM Rating: Decent
**
580 posts
Not my job to defend the game.

I love the game so far.
con: 20
Thm: 10
Weaver: 14
Goldsmith: 7
Alchemy: 9
Carpenter: 6
Leather: 4
Bot: 7
Mine: 7

Have I had issues with the game or got frustrated from time to time, yes sure.

1st Issue I ever had: Friends all went on Selbina and I had already been on melmond but it took me almost two days to get onto selbina but really wasn't that big of an issue just means lots of people playing.

2nd Issue: Competing for mobs... but its so sweet though when i find a nice little grind spot to call my own or go out with 1 or more other people to find new places.

3rd Issue: Lack of AH... really dont mind now. I have been able to make or find most of what i need and i have great placement of my retainer in the ward and easily make gil.

4rth: Travel - ok this one bugs me sorta. Glad we get anima at all, just need to be thrifty with it (which i wasnt at all :p), but I am 20 would be nice to be able to use chocobos...or airships or something lol. And using the ferry would be nice if i had something to do besides fish :p

Honestly though I could point out more things i noticed that semi bother me but i am enjoying the game too much to care :p. only reason I am even taking the time to write this is cause I am at work bored working the night shift :P
____________________________
_______

___________________________________________
Call your Mom, She misses you.
#134 Oct 06 2010 at 2:22 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
315 posts
Things I would like them to fix:

  • Some kind of search function for specific items in market district. ( No I don't want to buy your mole meat, I'm looking for a sword!")"
  • Server lag when: selling items, interacting with your retainer and while managing your inventory.
  • Sort function in inventory and on retainer
  • Updated map so that you can find your party friends easier "uuurh, I'm between a giant rock and a marmot, I also can see the lighthouse from here... found me yet?

  • Things I like:

  • the crafting
  • the battle system
  • the free market
  • having to interact with people to get the materials I need
  • The levequests and the potential they have later in the game
  • the graphics, design, animations, music and all that audio/visual stuff
  • and I love the story more than anything! (Its so epic already and it has barely started).

  • Those 4 minor flaws hardly outweighs the good stuff. The servers are stable, there are plenty of people to play with at all hours of the day and there is a ton of stuff to do. I've tried judging this game objectively and frankly I don't understand all the negativity. To each their own I guess. But if you are just going to hate for the sake of hating, please go away? (haha .. like thats gonna happen..)

    edit: Just wanted to say, I don't agree with you but that car story was a nice read and a good analogy :) Although I hardly believe FFXIV is plummeting off a cliff any time soon, and if it does, it might be a FLYING CAR! OMG! :P

    Edited, Oct 6th 2010 4:31am by GusMorgan
    ____________________________
    FFXI 2003-2007: Elaron ~Phoenix
    FFXIV 2010-> : Gus Morgan ~Wutai

    #135 Oct 06 2010 at 2:58 AM Rating: Default
    Quote:
    Fact is most people complaining are trying to IMPROVE IT for everyone.


    I disagree. While there are some who genuinely want this game to succeed on both sides of the argument. The majority are simply sound-boarding their opinions.

    I've had one such poster openly admit that they don't give a rats *** about what I do or do not enjoy because they were not, and was posting on the boards for the soul purpose of causing a fuss here because "SE won't listen to me." The OP itself isn't really wanting a true answer for any constructive purposes, he's just sound-boarding.

    Quote:
    and I wasn't talking to you.


    Doesn't matter. The words themselves could be applied on a macro scale, and implied a larger concern on the boards. If you'd like to have a direct conversation with the person as to their 'complex', the Private Message system is available to you. Otherwise, what you say is public domain.

    Back on the subject, there are many people who enjoy the game that avoid the boards because of the negativity and the back and forth extreme opinions. Business as usual for MMOs though honestly as the majority of the player-base for any game are usually not active on community sites. Which is not surprising, seeming the 'silent majority' is an anomaly that exists in piratically every form of organization from religion to politics to video games.

    But it's taken more so with FFXIV because it does have many recognizable flaws. And while to those players, dealing with those flaws is tolerable, watching people fight and agonize over them on a forum board is not.

    So it's hard to get an accurate read on how people actually feel. The extremes (and those desperate for attention) will always soundboard one way or another. But it's gotten pretty well out of hand of late.

    Edited, Oct 6th 2010 4:59am by Hyrist
    #136 Oct 06 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Decent
    Scholar
    **
    685 posts
    Why is it so many people feel like they have to convince me that the game is horrible and not to play?

    I guess I can play at that too.

    < sarcasm >
    The Halo series sucks. I hate FPSs in general, so that includes CoD, Modern Warfare and whatnot. They all suck. The genre's stupid. No one should be playing that because the only people actually playing those games are douchy frat-boys with popped collars and kegs of ****-water beer.

    South Park sucks too. Everything they put on that show is just plain stupid. It's disrespectful and rude and the reason why I've heard 5th graders cuss. If no one watches it then they'll have to cancel it!

    Mad Men, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Dexter and whatever show stole the Emmy from Michael Emerson this year (assuming I didn't already list it) sucks as well. And those of you who were upset at how Lost ended, without explaining the Island's mysteries, you just must not have paid any attention to the show because otherwise you'd know that the show's been about the characters first. Duh. I guess you didn't like the end to Battlestar Galactica just because they didn't explain the unexplainable.

    The shows everyone should be watching are Castle, Lie to Me, Stargate Universe and Caprica.
    < /sarcasm >
    ____________________________

    Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
    #137 Oct 06 2010 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
    Scholar
    **
    386 posts
    Just wish all these threads with "criticism", constructive or otherwise, would be moved to a forum where criticism and feedback are supposed to be. If only such a place existed.
    #139 Oct 06 2010 at 8:47 AM Rating: Decent
    **
    608 posts
    well the games only been out since sept 22nd & people want years worth of content already. look at WoW at launch broken, age of conan at launch very broken, took a few months to fix both of them but they work now. aion empty as **** even though korea had it way beofre the usa. FFXI was the same as ffxiv when usa got it with zilart until you got to around 60ish then you could do more stuff other than exp, but now ffxi has so much stuff to do you would not know where to start if you just started with all the content.


    Quote:
    Fact is most people complaining are trying to IMPROVE IT for everyone.

    SE dont give a sh*t what people ***** about the game was planned years ago and you not gonna change it no matter what, there just gonna slowly make & release planned content till they think the game as far as it's gonna go

    Edited, Oct 6th 2010 10:47am by mitmystria
    #140 Oct 06 2010 at 10:10 AM Rating: Decent
    It seems i overestimated the maturity of some posters here. So let me put this another way.

    Your constant whining and moaning will not deter me, or anyone else that likes this game, from playing this game.
    2 weeks ago, the information was wanted, now it's just regurgitation of the same old "I want my mommy" BS.
    You paid money for it, so you should get everything you want right now? Do a little research next time. I don't care how excited you were about the game.
    Life is full of let downs. Those of you who feel let down.. i'm sorry. Those of you who just ***** and cry every freaking day, your acting like children, and will be treated that way.

    P.S. Rate downs don't mean crap to someone who doesn't have a colored name. Feel free.
    #141 Oct 06 2010 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
    Edited by bsphil
    ******
    21,739 posts
    Hyrist, ****** Superhero wrote:
    Quote:
    and I wasn't talking to you.
    Doesn't matter. The words themselves could be applied on a macro scale, and implied a larger concern on the boards.
    It could, but that would be the wrong interpretation of what I said.
    ____________________________
    His Excellency Aethien wrote:
    Almalieque wrote:
    If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
    Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
    gbaji wrote:
    I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
    #142 Oct 06 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
    **
    415 posts
    Hey guys. I hear that since OP and his supporters aren't enjoying the game, it means that no one else should either.

    Confirm/deny?
    #143 Oct 06 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Decent
    Edited by bsphil
    ******
    21,739 posts
    SoumaKyou wrote:
    Hey guys. I hear that since OP and his supporters aren't enjoying the game, it means that no one else should either.

    Confirm/deny?
    Deny.
    ____________________________
    His Excellency Aethien wrote:
    Almalieque wrote:
    If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
    Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
    gbaji wrote:
    I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
    #144 Oct 06 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Decent
    **
    415 posts
    bsphil wrote:
    SoumaKyou wrote:
    Hey guys. I hear that since OP and his supporters aren't enjoying the game, it means that no one else should either.

    Confirm/deny?
    Deny.

    I dunno. The thread title says otherwise.

    "How bad must it get for you to stop defending FFXIV?"

    We couldn't possibly be defending it because we're enjoying it and realize that all MMO launches have problems that eventually get fixed. No, that's not possible at all.
    #145 Oct 06 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Default
    29 posts
    Warhammer had full servers at launch too.
    #146 Oct 06 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
    **
    415 posts
    m3gatl20n wrote:
    Warhammer had full servers at launch too.

    Here I was thinking we were playing Final Fantasy. Silly me.
    #147 Oct 06 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent

    I love this game! That said, I'm looking forward to many many many many updates. xD Watching FFXI change and grow over the years (I played for 6) gives me the confidence that Square Enix will come through with another great MMO.

    I knew going in that the first 2 - 3 - 6 months would be a rocky road. Browsing retainers is barely tolerable. Fighting to get away from a NPC is causing a new bald spot to form. But the game is beautiful, I enjoy my chosen classes, and look forward to new content.

    To the people with buyers remorse: I'm not sure how posting these threads is going to help you. The way I see it, you have 3 options.

    1) Quit.
    2) Put it down for a couple months and try again when it's been revised.
    3) Keep playing and crying every day..?

    Another poster said something to the effect of: "all this ranting isn't going to change peoples opinions of the game" You either like it or you don't. On the same token, the people on this thread, and on these forums can't change the game for you. So.. why do these threads exist? Opinions are like ********, everyone's got one, and most of em stink. Why buck heads over something that you can do nothing about?

    Anyway, that's my 2 cents.. don't think I'll be back on this thread, kinda sorry I browsed it to begin with.

    ____________________________

    I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
    #148 Oct 06 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
    18 posts
    Well, to answer the OP's question (and ignore the debate, because that's what we do here) I'll say, the game must be actually bad, not just possessing of a few design choices which turned out to be inconvenient.

    Quote:
    How much longer can you guys possibly defend this terrible game?


    My question is: How perfect must it be for you to stop abusing hyperbole?

    I have my own criticisms of the game, but they don't make it a bad game, they just are things I don't like about it. I think it was a bad idea to not include an inventory sort or a MW search. But that's fine. They don't kill the game that I enjoy 95% of the time.

    I don't think nobody should complain, because feedback is important, but I do think we need to cut back on the melodrama. This game is not terrible. It's not horrible. It's not the worst thing anyone has ever made anywhere ever. It's a game with some things we don't like about it. There are actual ERRORS (the "target is already engaged" bug) and then there are choices that we feel are poor choices (lack of inventory sort, lack of market ward search). Please learn to distinguish between the two. Just because you feel that something is a "basic feature" doesn't make it so.

    Chances are SE will be making a lot of changes. (Read the Lodestone interview). If the inconvenience of this game puts you off it that much, cancel your sub and wait for the changes, then come back. Or don't. But quit acting like Square Enix has done something horrible to you, personally, out of greed and malice and spite and pure unadulterated evil.
    #149 Oct 06 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
    Guru
    Avatar
    **
    362 posts
    Well said, except I believe (and i could be wrong) that this thread and others like it stem from he blind 'everything is fine' mantra far too many have. People who tried talking about issues during beta got shouted down by an army of SE defenders, and to a point that's ok, it was beta. But now it's live and there's frustration that things that should have changed in beta didn't. Ok, so now there's frustration about things that should have changed, and frustration AT people who are saying things should change, and it all gets escalated and overblown.

    What it boils down to is almost every single person posting here is here because they want to like and play this game. There needs to be a whole lot less absolutes and a whole lot less irrationality tbh. Someone saying this game is bad (opinion) doesn't mean that person is saying eberyone should hate it and stop playing. Someone saying this game is good (also opinion) isn't saying that everyone should like it or they're an idiot. UNTIL they do actually start saying that, and that's why threads like these escalate.
    ____________________________
    Anakte Grey
    BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
    MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
    #150 Oct 06 2010 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
    *
    56 posts
    Well, I'm finding it hard to have fun so far.

    I find the guild leves to be incredibly repetetive. The crafting is dull, slow and the interface is a terrible design.

    I miss having mobs drop equipment - that's always been something that kept me fighting in other MMOs.

    Buying things from retainers is ridiculously time consuming.

    There are some things that are enjoyable, but for me right now they're outweighed by the negatives.

    This is entirely subjective opinion - it's obvious that there's a wide range of feelings for FFXIV. I'm going to stick with it for a while longer to see if I can get something more out of it.
    #151 Oct 06 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Decent
    46 posts
    Sorry, but it seems to me there are a lot of liars in the FFXIV community. Anyone who defends the game and says it's good is either lying or has absolutely no experience of what a good MMO is. And to give it high scores in forums is just deceiving the unwary and causing them to waste their time and money. I suppose there are people who are amazed simply by being able to move an avatar on a computer screen, but they shouldn't be writing reviews touting such an egregious slap in the face as FFXIV. And if you think someday, somehow, miraculously, the game is going to transform from an ugly duckling into a swan, I fear you're deluding yourself. I hope SE is reading these negative comments. They should be ashamed.

    Edited, Oct 6th 2010 7:09pm by Chaiwallah
    This forum is read only
    This Forum is Read Only!
    Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
    Anonymous Guests (24)