Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Anyway to ***** up your character?Follow

#1 Oct 05 2010 at 7:28 AM Rating: Good
8 posts
Hey there

I never played FF11 and didn't participate in the beta for this game, i kinda just picked it up on impulse last week and am planning to start playing tonight.

I've had a quick read of the basic faqs/guides on this site but had a couple of further questions.
Now i have a basic grasp on how the game works i'm wanting to just jump in and explore/experiment. What i'm wondering is, is there anyway to irreversibly mess up your character? Does the race you start with actually matter in the long run/end game or are the stat differences insignificant at that stage?

Lastly, one of the guides mentioned you could only take 8 guildleves in a 36 hour period, is this per character or per class? i.e could i do 8 for a crafting class then another 8 for a gathering class/fighting class in the same 36 hour period.

Any help you folks could provide with this would be awesome and would put me at ease for when i hop on tonight.
#2 Oct 05 2010 at 7:30 AM Rating: Good
**
265 posts
you can do 8 crafting (Local) AND 8 gathering/combat (Regional). Note, gathering and combat are shared. Crafting is not.
Theres no way to permanently ***** up your character, racial differences are negligable.
#3 Oct 05 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,041 posts
Lake013 wrote:
Does the race you start with actually matter in the long run/end game or are the stat differences insignificant at that stage?


The game is far too new to determine this. It's like FFXI where some races and clans have different BASE stats than others but it doesn't matter too much at this point in time.

Lake013 wrote:

Lastly, one of the guides mentioned you could only take 8 guildleves in a 36 hour period, is this per character or per class? i.e could i do 8 for a crafting class then another 8 for a gathering class/fighting class in the same 36 hour period.


You can do 8 guildleves and local leves (the crafting ones-seperate from guildleves) in a 36 hour period, and while waiting on rotation to reset you can join up with friends and do theirs (guildleves).
#4 Oct 05 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
8 posts
The perfect answer, thank you very much for your help.
#5 Oct 05 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Lake013 wrote:
Hey there

I never played FF11 and didn't participate in the beta for this game, i kinda just picked it up on impulse last week and am planning to start playing tonight.

I've had a quick read of the basic faqs/guides on this site but had a couple of further questions.
Now i have a basic grasp on how the game works i'm wanting to just jump in and explore/experiment. What i'm wondering is, is there anyway to irreversibly mess up your character? Does the race you start with actually matter in the long run/end game or are the stat differences insignificant at that stage?

Lastly, one of the guides mentioned you could only take 8 guildleves in a 36 hour period, is this per character or per class? i.e could i do 8 for a crafting class then another 8 for a gathering class/fighting class in the same 36 hour period.

Any help you folks could provide with this would be awesome and would put me at ease for when i hop on tonight.


Race is irrelevant; you allocate character points at your descretion each time you gain a physical level, and by the time you're level 5 (which will only take a few hours of play) your choices will have completely covered over the racial differences you started with.

There is no way to irreversibly ***** up a character. You are free to pick and start levelling a new class at any time, and the classes do not interfere with one another. Characteristics and Elemental points are redistributable. There's a limit to how much you can redistribute, but it's on a timer. Given enough time you can completely respec any way you want.

Leve limits are per character, but there are two types of leve, each with its own 8 in 36 hours limit. You are allowed 8 regional leves, which are for fighting and gathering classes, and 8 local leves, which are for crafting classes.
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#6 Oct 05 2010 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
40 posts
Yeah, you can make him really ugly, lol.
#7 Oct 05 2010 at 8:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
92 posts
You still have more points in one stat anyway on a certain race. 6 points is 6 points you don't have to put into a stat when you level, and can put it elsewhere. Anyway... now I'm just nitpicking but... ya.
____________________________
-[ If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right ]-
#8 Oct 05 2010 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Kardall wrote:
You still have more points in one stat anyway on a certain race. 6 points is 6 points you don't have to put into a stat when you level, and can put it elsewhere. Anyway... now I'm just nitpicking but... ya.


Provided that each race starts out with the same total points (and I will admit, I have not checked, but I would be very, *very* surprised if this is not the case), by the time you reach level 5 you can have the same identical character no matter what race you started with. You'll do it by allocating your additional points differently for each race, but that doesn't change the fact that this makes race pretty much irrelevant.

Edited, Oct 5th 2010 11:24am by ChrisMattern
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#9 Oct 05 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
My concern wouldnt be with how many base stat points each race starts with already allocated, but with growth rates... We know that each stat for every race goes up by one per each point until it hits 40, then its 2 points you have to spend to get an increase in a stat... Just like FFXI had skills that grew at different rates (A+ - F or whatever) and some divisions weren't seen until you were around level 40, it would be those kind of differences I'd be concerned with and we dont know if they exist yet in FFXIV...

All signs point to the race choice being pretty much a cosmetic one, but we dont know enough to be sure yet. Sorry, I know that doesnt help answer your question, but based on what we know, theres no way to ***** up your character and it doesnt look like a race choice will hamper your effectiveness down the road.

For that matter I don't believe we know all the impacts of picking a god just yet either (though I havent checked to see if you can switch that post creation)
#10 Oct 05 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
phoenixcws wrote:
My concern wouldnt be with how many base stat points each race starts with already allocated, but with growth rates... We know that each stat for every race goes up by one per each point until it hits 40, then its 2 points you have to spend to get an increase in a stat... Just like FFXI had skills that grew at different rates (A+ - F or whatever) and some divisions weren't seen until you were around level 40, it would be those kind of differences I'd be concerned with and we dont know if they exist yet in FFXIV...


Whoa, wait. I think you just told me something I didn't know. Are you telling me that you get automatic stat increases *in addition to* the ones you get to allocate?


Edited, Oct 5th 2010 1:40pm by ChrisMattern
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#11 Oct 05 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
92 posts
I started getting 6 points, now I get 8. If that's what you mean. Also, I don't know about each race, but within a race yes, they have different values.

Lalafel's plains and dunes have different stats. Dunes have more Int/Mind and the Plains have more str/stam.

____________________________
-[ If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right ]-
#12 Oct 05 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
ChrisMattern wrote:
phoenixcws wrote:
My concern wouldnt be with how many base stat points each race starts with already allocated, but with growth rates... We know that each stat for every race goes up by one per each point until it hits 40, then its 2 points you have to spend to get an increase in a stat... Just like FFXI had skills that grew at different rates (A+ - F or whatever) and some divisions weren't seen until you were around level 40, it would be those kind of differences I'd be concerned with and we dont know if they exist yet in FFXIV...


Whoa, wait. I think you just told me something I didn't know. Are you telling me that you get automatic stat increases *in addition to* the ones you get to allocate?


Edited, Oct 5th 2010 1:40pm by ChrisMattern



Sorry about that, no I'm saying that a difference in the base starting stats of a few points worries me less than how a races stats grow, right now at 40 it takes 2 points for any race to increase the attribute by 1... In FFXI skill growth rates didnt diverge until around level 40ish, so my concern is that maybe our mithra will continue to get 1 dex for 2 points long past where our elvaan have to start spending 3. Or more, and we wont know for sure until we get people maxing out their physical level...

The only concern right now that a starting race would pose, is if you picked one that has their starting stats heavily into int pie and mnd and would lower them if you could in favor of more str dex and vit... the race dictates your floor for stats that you cant go below...
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)