Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

NEW TITLE (OMFG dont quit noobs)Follow

#1 Oct 06 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Default
33 posts
Now listen. I understand that this game has a HUGE amount of flaws and things done wrong on SE's part that should be patched/fixed as soon as they possibly can to prevent players from quitting (which is happening already). Hear me out.

I too am annoyed at the lack of......a CRISP feeling that this game should have. The lack of FLOW that this game should have started with from the character creation to hitting level 50 and beyond. I too have come close to quitting for a couple months and coming back when it's "better". I am tired of doing guild leves....only to discover that faction leves are just as boring and took grinding to achieve them.

BUT.....What keeps me going through all of this....what makes me continue to pay and play this game is looking back at all other MMO's that I have played and comparing their start to this. What I do not miss is constantly falling through the ground and dying for the first few MONTHS of WOW's release. Or getting disconnected because of a hot patch that Blizzard felt necessary and logging back on to the game with a 12-24 hour decrease in IN GAME time. Literally hitting lvl 16 then dropping to lvl 2 because of server roll backs. Or in Warhammer hitting END GAME and having a solid 40 players at lvl cap with end game gear losing to 200 lvl 15's because of lag and auto attacks (which literally was the cause of that games failure) A guild name RUIN, and Ruined.....ruined the game.

Every MMO that is released has MAJOR flaws....and FF XIV is no different. Give it time. Stop crying until you reach End Game material....and huff and puff our way through the bullsh*t. We will all reach that point and then decide for ourselves if this is the game for us.

Don't cut yourself short and give up on something that could/might be AMAZING (and hopefully will).

P.S. if you have played WOW from it's release and you are now playing this but are unhappy....you are an idiot and need to learn that not every MMO will be like WOW (mainly directed at my brother lol).

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 2:28am by Khronus66
#2 Oct 06 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
109 posts
This is a very interesting view, and I am glad you have experience that allows you to come to this conclusion. I myself have caught myself browsing for other existing and future MMOs due to my intense frustration with the disappointment that came from this game, which I had incredibly high hopes for. After revisiting the idea of starting up another MMO that, for some, I have already played, I did finally conclude that I will wait this game out and focus on other subjects, such as grad school and my girlfriend, while I wait for this game to hit the first few version updates.

That being said, this title is a bit misleading... You are going to upset many people by posting a thread title like that and then, instead of passing on some important information about the game, you are voicing your opinion. Not that your opinion is unimportant, but that people are going to assume it is something else which interests them more.

Regardless, good on you for having patience.
____________________________
Into Memoria - FFXIV Free Company
#3 Oct 06 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
139 posts
Cool story, bro.
#4 Oct 06 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
Quote:
Every MMO that is released has MAJOR flaws....and FF XIV is no different. Give it time. Stop crying until you reach End Game material....and huff and puff our way through the bullsh*t. We will all reach that point and then decide for ourselves if this is the game for us.


I will not 'quit crying' until endgame, because every flaw I see in the game now is hindering my ability to get there. Granted the majority of gameplay does occur at level cap, the leveling process is very important, especially in a game that is attempting to make players level most classes.
____________________________


#5 Oct 06 2010 at 12:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Not disagreeing with the opinion, but the thread title is way off base.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#6 Oct 06 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
Khronus66 wrote:
Now listen. I understand that this game has a HUGE amount of flaws and things done wrong on SE's part that should be patched/fixed as soon as they possibly can to prevent players from quitting (which is happening already). Hear me out.

I too am annoyed at the lack of......a CRISP feeling that this game should have. The lack of FLOW that this game should have started with from the character creation to hitting level 50 and beyond. I too have come close to quitting for a couple months and coming back when it's "better". I am tired of doing guild leves....only to discover that faction leves are just as boring and took grinding to achieve them.

BUT.....What keeps me going through all of this....what makes me continue to pay and play this game is looking back at all other MMO's that I have played and comparing their start to this. What I do not miss is constantly falling through the ground and dying for the first few MONTHS of WOW's release. Or getting disconnected because of a hot patch that Blizzard felt necessary and logging back on to the game with a 12-24 hour decrease in IN GAME time. Literally hitting lvl 16 then dropping to lvl 2 because of server roll backs. Or in Warhammer hitting END GAME and having a solid 40 players at lvl cap with end game gear losing to 200 lvl 15's because of lag and auto attacks (which literally was the cause of that games failure) A guild name RUIN, and Ruined.....ruined the game.

Every MMO that is released has MAJOR flaws....and FF XIV is no different. Give it time. Stop crying until you reach End Game material....and huff and puff our way through the bullsh*t. We will all reach that point and then decide for ourselves if this is the game for us.

Don't cut yourself short and give up on something that could/might be AMAZING (and hopefully will).

P.S. if you have played WOW from it's release and you are now playing this but are unhappy....you are an idiot and need to learn that not every MMO will be like WOW (mainly directed at my brother lol).



This is important why? I don't see any important here. Children dieing due to starving or huge walls of water crushing down houses of peoples is important. But not your posting.
#7 Oct 06 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
*
139 posts
Harri wrote:
Not disagreeing with the opinion, but the thread title is way off base.


Completely agree. It is neither "important" nor a "must read".
#8 Oct 06 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
I played City of Heroes close after launch and not only was it not fun, but it was slow. I played EQOA at launch and...well even now the game sucks, but that's besides the point =P. I played wow about 6-10 months after release and it looked horrible, and falling through things (altho I never fell to my death, they have the "unstuck" feature for a reason!) was horrible. So I get where you're going on this. I've also worked in the video game industry for a few years and (although I think this game isn't ready for official launch) I've seen worse come out.

Another thing I want to remind FFXI players is, unless you live in Japan, you most likely didn't play FFXI until after over a year and a whole expansion. When FFXI came out, it didn't have a lot of stuff that many of us, who started with the American/European release, thought it started with.

As OP said, give it a few months, heck give it until it comes out on PS3, and it'll be a lot different.
#9 Oct 06 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
230 posts
important must read.................................................................. ;/
#10 Oct 06 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
WOW characters endlessly falling through the game world and respawning in a different zone/continent still wasn't fixed when I left a year ago. Neither were a million other things dealing with lag, disconnects, server down time, etc.

And it took WOW until burning crusade to make some specs of classes even remotely useful.

FFXIV may have been released prematurely and has little content, but the little content it has works beautifully.
#11 Oct 06 2010 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
KujaKoF wrote:

I will not 'quit crying' until endgame, because every flaw I see in the game now is hindering my ability to get there. Granted the majority of gameplay does occur at level cap, the leveling process is very important, especially in a game that is attempting to make players level most classes.


Elaborate, what flaws are hindering your ability to get to end game? I'm curious because I have found no major bugs in this game that hinders progress. Sure, it might be slow, the party mechanics might be off a little, but there is no bugs stopping you from getting XP or SP and leveling up, Leve's are pretty solid, which is an easy way to get money so you can buy new gear.

I'm not saying this game doesn't have flaws, I mean there's no frikkin item sort! But (after the first few days) there are no major bugs (that I have seen) that will stop progress.
#12 Oct 06 2010 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
oh, my opinion is oh-so-IMPORTANT

la-la-la-la-la-la

*spins around and ♪

*picks a flower and ♪♪

*skips off into the distance ♫

Well, bra-vo chap! You've shown us an entirely new perspective that has never been seen before, this is truly game-changing and thoroughly important.
#13 Oct 06 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
Eliminex wrote:
Harri wrote:
Not disagreeing with the opinion, but the thread title is way off base.


Completely agree. It is neither "important" nor a "must read".


they said it for me
____________________________
Maka Albarn of Saronia
Conjurer & Botanist
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2547214

"It was my right to murder you anywhere and steal your house!, then Trammel came along and wrecked all the fun."
- Me of course.
#14 Oct 06 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
218 posts
More like self important dont read.

Thought this might be some new exploit to look out for, or critical bug, and its just an opinion piece :(
____________________________
#15 Oct 06 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Shalazar wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:

I will not 'quit crying' until endgame, because every flaw I see in the game now is hindering my ability to get there. Granted the majority of gameplay does occur at level cap, the leveling process is very important, especially in a game that is attempting to make players level most classes.


Elaborate, what flaws are hindering your ability to get to end game? I'm curious because I have found no major bugs in this game that hinders progress. Sure, it might be slow, the party mechanics might be off a little, but there is no bugs stopping you from getting XP or SP and leveling up, Leve's are pretty solid, which is an easy way to get money so you can buy new gear.

I'm not saying this game doesn't have flaws, I mean there's no frikkin item sort! But (after the first few days) there are no major bugs (that I have seen) that will stop progress.



See I find such a steep leveling curve, with randomized small skillup gains a flaw, or in my opinion a terrible design choice. I would like to believe it is actually not working as intended, and that we are not expected to gain 20000+ skill points per level, while getting on average 30-100 skill points per mob. I consider several party members in groups 3 or higher not getting XP from their kills due to a bug a large flaw. I feel that having leve mobs have 30-50% of the HP of equivalent level mobs outside of leves, when they are the mobs that are granted bonus skillup chances a flaw. All of these add up to a leveling experience that I feel is flawed. I will not be leveling multiple classes under these conditions.




Quote:
As OP said, give it a few months, heck give it until it comes out on PS3, and it'll be a lot different.


I'll say again, What you're asking is that customers live with what they consider a bad product for 6 months. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, and I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, but I'm not going to play something I don't like, and do not see improving. Especially not when there are several new high profile MMOs being released in the next few months.
____________________________


#16Darrtt, Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 12:43 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) while the title is misleading it does have a valid point that people who dislike this game seem to ignore.
#17 Oct 06 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
AGAIN, we have somebody that likes to compare 2010 with 2004 or 2002. I would love to sell you my 2002 Civic for the retail price of a 2011. You can just pay for the expansions or should i say new parts over time until it performs as good as or better then a 2011.
#18 Oct 06 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
213 posts
I cannot BELIEVE i wasted my TIME reading this at WORK, and what's WITH all the random CAPITAL words.
#19 Oct 06 2010 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
196 posts
I fail to see the importance of this thread.. anywho..

The problem with this game is not the DAM crispness.. or the polish.. OR the content.. the problem is the stupid core game content and game decision that SE has created..

The terribad repairing system.. that is a core game content... as such will be extremely difficult to change.. the next best thing will be to just cut it completely out of the game.. Really we need go have a certain class to repair to full durability.. to make it worse it requires certain mats to repair not just gil.. wtf is that crap?

The failure that is the crafting system.. it is completely flawed.. you can not progress a crafting class without subbing another class and another class in order to get the necessary materials.. sure you can just go shop for it.. but then why not just buy the dam equipment instead of trying to craft it? Another core game content that CANNOT be changed..

This cannot be stress enough... Get a freakin AH.. how hard is it to just make one.. so that the economy can just stabilize itself.. you know a lot of games don't have an AH? such as ragnarok? Because those games don't heavily require crafting.. Are you really going to search a couple hundred retainers.. to find a boat load of crafting materials that you need to craft? One or two equipments that are a big a improvement to your own makes sense.. but when you have to search for multiple stuff.. it gets extremely frustrating and annoying..

Who cares about gold sellers? Just ban them.. is that so freakin hard to get a dedicated Game moderator in game at all times to take up complaints and stuff? Stupid SE trying to save money and making players miserable at the same time..

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 3:30pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#20 Oct 06 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
Azimov wrote:
More like self important dont read.


QFT.

What the OP fails to realise is that the issues plaguing FFXIV are not the usual bugs of an early launch, but rather fundamentally ill-conceived design choices that will be almost impossible to reverse.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 3:39pm by Magiocracy
#21 Oct 06 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Where's the important part? Why must i read this? I want those 30 seconds of my life back.
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#22debodeebs, Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 3:46 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) omg i thought se was going to shut down the game and give in. pheeeeeeew my heart pounds.
#23 Oct 06 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
**
263 posts
What are they teaching in schools these days, where'd people learn to write in a manner that REQUIRES them to CAPITALISE words to make a POINT.
#24 Oct 06 2010 at 4:03 PM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
Eliminex wrote:
Cool story, bro.


Jerk my crystal bro!




















I'm sorry but every time I see "bro" I remember that craigslist post and I have to respond! XD
____________________________

#25 Oct 06 2010 at 7:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
AGAIN, we have somebody that likes to compare 2010 with 2004 or 2002. I would love to sell you my 2002 Civic for the retail price of a 2011. You can just pay for the expansions or should i say new parts over time until it performs as good as or better then a 2011.


Wait, what?

Why do people always make this argument? Is there a difference here? No? That's what I thought.

Technology improves over time, that's about it. Why the **** does it matter, especially considering it is an MMO? This is 2010, that in itself gives the developers even more of an excuse (not that I entirely appreciate this but it's true) to slack a bit on the opening. You had the 80s and 90s where when you made the game it had to be perfect when it was done or you had to republish the entire **** thing. then you got into 2002 and then on where stuff started getting patched.

It all follows the same process. Are there guidelines for developers that magically appeared sometime between 2002 and now? Being a developer myself I'd sure as **** hope not because I must of missed that memo. The guy has a point that stuff like this often starts out weak and it takes a while to work out the kinks and add in more material.

It's an MMORPG and people are expecting a fully polished product. Last I checked, there aren't a whole lot of MMOs that were remotely polished when they came out. Just because it's 2010 and we have fancier graphics and technology does not give excemption to the fact that reiteration is an important part of development. Always has been, always will be.

I bet some nincompoop is going to reply with something like "oh but you see, since 2002 the developers could have played other games and reviewed fanbases and see what people really want and don't want". Earth to poster, that is what they have been doing and that's what pretty much all game companies do. It's called R&D. That does not mean that the game is going to instantly turn out great.

In fact, to be honest, games for the most part (with a minor exception of a small handful) have sucked for the most part for the past 10 years. If anything is different from my initial question in this post it's that 2010 is expected to have ****** games and bad releases. Stop making that crappy argument.

The game will get better I'm sure of that much. Who knows how long that will be though.
____________________________


#26 Oct 06 2010 at 7:30 PM Rating: Good
***
3,444 posts
Rjain wrote:
Quote:
AGAIN, we have somebody that likes to compare 2010 with 2004 or 2002. I would love to sell you my 2002 Civic for the retail price of a 2011. You can just pay for the expansions or should i say new parts over time until it performs as good as or better then a 2011.


Wait, what?

Why do people always make this argument? Is there a difference here? No? That's what I thought.

Technology improves over time, that's about it. Why the **** does it matter, especially considering it is an MMO? This is 2010, that in itself gives the developers even more of an excuse (not that I entirely appreciate this but it's true) to slack a bit on the opening. You had the 80s and 90s where when you made the game it had to be perfect when it was done or you had to republish the entire **** thing. then you got into 2002 and then on where stuff started getting patched.

It all follows the same process. Are there guidelines for developers that magically appeared sometime between 2002 and now? Being a developer myself I'd sure as **** hope not because I must of missed that memo. The guy has a point that stuff like this often starts out weak and it takes a while to work out the kinks and add in more material.

It's an MMORPG and people are expecting a fully polished product. Last I checked, there aren't a whole lot of MMOs that were remotely polished when they came out. Just because it's 2010 and we have fancier graphics and technology does not give excemption to the fact that reiteration is an important part of development. Always has been, always will be.

I bet some nincompoop is going to reply with something like "oh but you see, since 2002 the developers could have played other games and reviewed fanbases and see what people really want and don't want". Earth to poster, that is what they have been doing and that's what pretty much all game companies do. It's called R&D. That does not mean that the game is going to instantly turn out great.

In fact, to be honest, games for the most part (with a minor exception of a small handful) have sucked for the most part for the past 10 years. If anything is different from my initial question in this post it's that 2010 is expected to have sh*tty games and bad releases. Stop making that crappy argument.

The game will get better I'm sure of that much. Who knows how long that will be though.


So as a developer yourself, how often do you ship products with broken functionality that are full of bugs?

My guess would be never, assuming you're still employed.

No one, zero people.. have asked for the game to be polished to a mirror shine and ship with all of its content. We asked that the product be ready for a commercial release, which it clearly isn't (SE has all but admitted this). We asked that we not be told to pay for a product that should still be in development, and before you go throwing the "free month" thing at me, no.. that first month cost you either $50 or $75 and is in fact the most expensive month in an MMO subscription, not the least.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#27 Oct 06 2010 at 7:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
No one, zero people.. have asked for the game to be polished to a mirror shine and ship with all of its content. We asked that the product be ready for a commercial release, which it clearly isn't (SE has all but admitted this). We asked that we not be told to pay for a product that should still be in development, and before you go throwing the "free month" thing at me, no.. that first month cost you either $50 or $75 and is in fact the most expensive month in an MMO subscription, not the least.


The problem is that you ask too much.

As much as I would like to agree with you, in fact it's not really a matter of me wanting to, I do agree with you, it's the fact that it doesn't matter if Square-Enix released this game three months from now, five months from now, one year from now, or three years from now.

There will still be bugs. It's an MMORPG. There are always bugs in the beginning. Quiz time, name an MMO game you've played the moment it was first released (not a nationalized release but one where it's the very first time being released) that did not have a multitude of bugs.

If your answer is any of the common MMOs mentioned here, you are brutally incorrect. I have not personally seen one. Feel free to enlighten me about any you've seen I'm curious.


An MMO is a community game, one with thousands of people, thousands of opinions, and thousands of different computer setups. That's quite a bit of feedback. Not only do they have to deal with technical feedback they receive through their servers, they have to deal with direct feedback, internal feedback, and then researching boards like these and review sites. There will be lots of complaints about some things and support for other things. Bugs some people are having might not be occuring for others.

People on message boards like these like to assume that this message board is the world. That if 50 people here agree on something the whole world agrees on it. There are hundreds of people playing this game that are not having issues. I personally have some issues with the game but I am patient and I am not whining as if I am entitled to an amazing MMO the moment it is released.

You bought the game. You had expectations of what the game was going to be like. It's the same for all MMOs at launch. If you don't like it, feel free to cancel your account and go away, or just deal with it and wait.
____________________________


#28 Oct 06 2010 at 7:54 PM Rating: Good
***
3,444 posts
Rjain wrote:
Quote:
No one, zero people.. have asked for the game to be polished to a mirror shine and ship with all of its content. We asked that the product be ready for a commercial release, which it clearly isn't (SE has all but admitted this). We asked that we not be told to pay for a product that should still be in development, and before you go throwing the "free month" thing at me, no.. that first month cost you either $50 or $75 and is in fact the most expensive month in an MMO subscription, not the least.


The problem is that you ask too much.

As much as I would like to agree with you, in fact it's not really a matter of me wanting to, I do agree with you, it's the fact that it doesn't matter if Square-Enix released this game three months from now, five months from now, one year from now, or three years from now.

There will still be bugs. It's an MMORPG. There are always bugs in the beginning. Quiz time, name an MMO game you've played the moment it was first released (not a nationalized release but one where it's the very first time being released) that did not have a multitude of bugs.

If your answer is any of the common MMOs mentioned here, you are brutally incorrect. I have not personally seen one. Feel free to enlighten me about any you've seen I'm curious.


An MMO is a community game, one with thousands of people, thousands of opinions, and thousands of different computer setups. That's quite a bit of feedback. Not only do they have to deal with technical feedback they receive through their servers, they have to deal with direct feedback, internal feedback, and then researching boards like these and review sites. There will be lots of complaints about some things and support for other things. Bugs some people are having might not be occuring for others.

People on message boards like these like to assume that this message board is the world. That if 50 people here agree on something the whole world agrees on it. There are hundreds of people playing this game that are not having issues. I personally have some issues with the game but I am patient and I am not whining as if I am entitled to an amazing MMO the moment it is released.

You bought the game. You had expectations of what the game was going to be like. It's the same for all MMOs at launch. If you don't like it, feel free to cancel your account and go away, or just deal with it and wait.


This actually brings me all the way back to how SE ran their beta test for this game.. They only accepted bug reports from alpha testers, and only accepted official forum feedback from beta testers prior to phase 3.. the entire external testing phase was also only 5 months long in total, AND they still shipped the product with bugs that had BEEN reported.

If you'd care to read my post above you'd see that I didn't say the product had to be free of bugs, I said it had to be ready for commercial release. Now that means a lot of things to a lot of people, but for my money, commercial release means that the game is stable on at least 95% of the systems it was tested on that meet the minimum system requirements as published (this is what external testing is for btw.. that thing they didn't want our feedback on), and that it did all the things they said it did (functionality needs to work properly)

I am not so naive or arrogant as to assume that Zam represents the entire world. I never made that claim. But when you're discussing something on these boards, the opinions of the people on these boards does actually matter as they contribute to the discussion (usually).

For the record, I did not buy the game. I was paying attention in beta and saw what it was they were shipping.. And then, on the off chance I was wrong, I monitored this and several other forums very closely on launch day and the day after (the time period my pre-order was still good for) to see what people were saying about the problems I'd encountered. Guess what they said? Problems still there, hardware mouse was added...wheeeee. That caused me to have my pre-order refunded rather than shelling out $75 for a game I knew to not be ready for release.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 8:56pm by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#29 Oct 06 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
This actually brings me all the way back to how SE ran their beta test for this game.. They only accepted bug reports from alpha testers, and only accepted official forum feedback from beta testers prior to phase 3.. the entire external testing phase was also only 5 months long in total, AND they still shipped the product with bugs that had BEEN reported.


I was in the closed beta. I'm not going to discuss the beta itself as it would do no good; however, any problems I had in the closed and open betas were pretty much non-existant in the commercial release. I cannot recall one bug I found in beta (and there were many) that came up again for me personally in the live game.

You say you didn't even buy the game. Okay, wise to do your research before making the purchase; however, that means you did not play the released game yourself. So all of what you're saying is anecdotal. You are going on other peoples' opinions of what they're experiencing in the game.

Alright, I'm not going to throw up a flag and self-righteously announce that everyone here is wrong and I am right, but, if anyone is going to make a sound decision about something you might personally enjoy it should ultimately be yourself. There are hundreds of bad posts about this game. Typical of any MMO release. Happens all the time during these lovely events. The people who are enjoying the game are too busy actually enjoying it to be posting about it.

My biggest issue with the game is the lack of content, which I can't complain about because again it all falls back on the issue of it being a new MMO. Plus apparently there's a lot of quests around level 20 I have yet to see so I'm sure there's enough for me to do, but I'm pretty busy lately and have no time to be playing.

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 10:04pm by Rjain
____________________________


#30 Oct 06 2010 at 8:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
384 posts
Why must we, as gamers, no scratch that, as CONSUMERS, those that pad the creators wallets, that we not only buy, but pay a monthly fee for, wait until endgame months down the road, for things to get better.

Is it so much to ask, that developers continue to develop, and perfect the core mechanics of their games before releasing, or during beta realize they've made a huge error, and stop shipping for a few months while the fix it, and go back to beta?

Why should consumers get frustrated with a game at start, artists put the time and effort into it, and the writers use their creative minds to enthrall us, if the game is going to get horrible reviews, scaring off future players, while those of us that have had enough of it, quit, while only the die hard stay?

It's narrow minded to think that everyone should just sit back on their heels while we twiddle our thumbs going "one day soon, this game will be awesome!"

it's this reason alone, i'm trying to get people together, to confront SE in a civil manner, and have the players suggest things, and for once in SE's life, listen. Their games are steadily going down hill, it's time they get a swift kick in the pants and shape up, and be the company we know they can be.
http://www.ffxivpro.com/forum/topic/14897/issues-complaints-etc/

Edited, Oct 6th 2010 10:20pm by Naeo
____________________________
Naeo & Loury
PUP73 & BRD78
both retired.
R.I.P
Bismarck Server - 8 years in the making.

Upset about XIV? Stop complaining, and join the solution
ffxiah thread
ZAM thread
BG, Gamespot, and other sites are being utilized as well.
#31 Oct 06 2010 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
421 posts
Rjain wrote:
Quote:
No one, zero people.. have asked for the game to be polished to a mirror shine and ship with all of its content. We asked that the product be ready for a commercial release, which it clearly isn't (SE has all but admitted this). We asked that we not be told to pay for a product that should still be in development, and before you go throwing the "free month" thing at me, no.. that first month cost you either $50 or $75 and is in fact the most expensive month in an MMO subscription, not the least.


The problem is that you ask too much.

As much as I would like to agree with you, in fact it's not really a matter of me wanting to, I do agree with you, it's the fact that it doesn't matter if Square-Enix released this game three months from now, five months from now, one year from now, or three years from now.

There will still be bugs. It's an MMORPG. There are always bugs in the beginning. Quiz time, name an MMO game you've played the moment it was first released (not a nationalized release but one where it's the very first time being released) that did not have a multitude of bugs.

If your answer is any of the common MMOs mentioned here, you are brutally incorrect. I have not personally seen one. Feel free to enlighten me about any you've seen I'm curious.


An MMO is a community game, one with thousands of people, thousands of opinions, and thousands of different computer setups. That's quite a bit of feedback. Not only do they have to deal with technical feedback they receive through their servers, they have to deal with direct feedback, internal feedback, and then researching boards like these and review sites. There will be lots of complaints about some things and support for other things. Bugs some people are having might not be occuring for others.

People on message boards like these like to assume that this message board is the world. That if 50 people here agree on something the whole world agrees on it. There are hundreds of people playing this game that are not having issues. I personally have some issues with the game but I am patient and I am not whining as if I am entitled to an amazing MMO the moment it is released.

You bought the game. You had expectations of what the game was going to be like. It's the same for all MMOs at launch. If you don't like it, feel free to cancel your account and go away, or just deal with it and wait.


he asks too much? I don't think he's asking too much.

is it too much to ask for a function xp party system? is it too much to ask for an auction house so people don't have to spend hours searching for one or two items?

is it too much to ask for some feedback? oh scratch that one, they are working on that horrid bug where equipping a +1 dagger is borked. at least we know they are working on it wait.....

feedback, if we had some more feedback, like "hey SE customers, we're working on so and so, so hang in there a bit" and people would be pacified.

know what the difference is about those other buggy MMO launches you speak of and FFXIV are? at least he devs let you know what they are working on or trying to fix instead of just letting you decide that they are not doing anything to make the game better.
____________________________

#32 Oct 06 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
know what the difference is about those other buggy MMO launches you speak of and FFXIV are? at least he devs let you know what they are working on or trying to fix instead of just letting you decide that they are not doing anything to make the game better.


Square-Enix is not a great company. It's a good company at best. If you take a look at FFXI, however, it started off just as rough and it made it a good ten years, even while the fanbase was just as mystified and shadowed by the developers.

I believe it is acceptable to assume FFXIV will pull off just as good, if not better, than FFXI.
____________________________


#33 Oct 06 2010 at 8:21 PM Rating: Good
***
3,444 posts
Rjain wrote:
Quote:
know what the difference is about those other buggy MMO launches you speak of and FFXIV are? at least he devs let you know what they are working on or trying to fix instead of just letting you decide that they are not doing anything to make the game better.


Square-Enix is not a great company. It's a good company at best. If you take a look at FFXI, however, it started off just as rough and it made it a good ten years, even while the fanbase was just as mystified and shadowed by the developers.

I believe it is acceptable to assume FFXIV will pull off just as good, if not better, than FFXI.


It might, it might not.. I'm not willing to pay full retail for "it might"

If and when it becomes a good game, then I'll pick it up, not before
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#34 Oct 06 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
why is this thread important and why was i required to read it?

shut up.
____________________________
Yzoho 90 THF
Sylph
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)