Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

All Worlds Maintenance (Oct. 7/8) Follow

#1 Oct 07 2010 at 2:32 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=73897736da2aaae9e8b8c365081ab55cb51ac081

Square Enix wrote:
At the following time, we will be performing FINAL FANTASY XIV maintenance on all worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

[Date & Time]
From Oct. 7, 2010 23:00 to Oct. 8, 2010 3:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV


By my calculations that means it will be at:

BST: Fri 8th 07:00 to 11:00
EDT: Fri 8th 02:00 to 06:00
ACT: Fri 8th 18:00 to 22:00

Ouch for you Ausies :(

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 8:27am by Kordain
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#2 Oct 07 2010 at 2:35 AM Rating: Decent
Good news. Good news indeed.
#3 Oct 07 2010 at 3:08 AM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
Here's to hoping they turn it into a 14 hour maintenance where they address at least SOME of the issues that should have been dealt with before the game even went live.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#4 Oct 07 2010 at 3:09 AM Rating: Default
***
2,815 posts
Wow, How fast they can jump when they want to. Thank you Gamespot.

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 5:12am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#5 Oct 07 2010 at 3:10 AM Rating: Good
**
493 posts
... and alas, your hopes and dreams will be destroyed when it turns out to only be yet another server maintenance.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Yep. Every netbook with an atom processor nowadays plays WoW.
****, I am sure with some tweaking it would run on an iphone.
Or even on the LCD display of my microwave.
#6 Oct 07 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Besides the schedule and in order to provide a better customer service, it would be incredible helpful to know what are they fixing with this maintenance.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#7 Oct 07 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
Don't crush my hopes, I still wanna believe they'll make this game great...
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#8 Oct 07 2010 at 3:12 AM Rating: Good
***
1,888 posts
This is probably a general maintenance to keep the servers ticking. At most, organized market wards.

Can't see anything stunning occurring people, sorry.
____________________________
Reiginsei, San'doria Rank 8 Hume Male.
75RDM/75NIN/69BLM59PLD
[5/5 Duellist 01/17/08][4/5 Koga][0/5 Valor][CoP+RotZ]
Linkshells:
Europa/Wabbits/OmegaStoleMyBike
#9 Oct 07 2010 at 3:13 AM Rating: Good
***
1,793 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Good news. Good news indeed.


Depends what the maint is for! It'll either be ok news, good news, or brilliant news! =P
____________________________
Proud PUP of Phoenix.
Jobs: PUP COR RNG BLM NIN WHM 90
Member of Finale.
My Blog
#10 Oct 07 2010 at 3:18 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
If anything, I hope it is to fix the SP award bug when in parties. That for me is probably the number 1 issue in the game right now even ahead of other glaring bugs and requirements. Mysteriously loosing SP when in a party is a massive flaw that needs correcting. I was partying last night and decided to keep my eye on it and nearly half of the kills we made, despite "earning" SP amounts during the battle, I did not receive any.

I wish they would fix it with the same vehemence as they did the SP exploit for Disciples of Magic.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#11 Oct 07 2010 at 3:21 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
Unfortunately this sounds like regular server maintenance to me as well, especially given it's just a 4 hour window.

What does it say when so many people are actually *hoping* for an extended maintenance on an MMORPG ?
____________________________

#12 Oct 07 2010 at 3:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
Greetings Final Fantasy XIV players!

We're sorry to inform you that we will be taking down the servers and giving up on this sham of a game. Of course, since Square-Enix is a business we plan to continue to charge you until you all sue our asses off.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this causes.
-- Square-Enix


Naw, I do hope they are fixing stuff. 4 hours though? Yeah, probably server maintenance.

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 5:38am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#13 Oct 07 2010 at 3:34 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
221 posts
Maintenance is only 4 hours - they are using 24-hour time format:


Quote:
[Date & Time]
From Oct. 7, 2010 23:00 to Oct. 8, 2010 3:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.
____________________________

#14 Oct 07 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Just in case you're in europe and want to know the times here.

Quote:
At the following time, we will be performing FINAL FANTASY XIV maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

[Date & Time]
From Oct. 8, 2010 06:00 to 10:00 (GMT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#15mmolma, Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 3:40 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Dont get your hopes up. That becouse its calles MAINTENANCE and not UPDATE
#16 Oct 07 2010 at 4:12 AM Rating: Good
*
216 posts
mmolma wrote:
Dont get your hopes up. That becouse its calles MAINTENANCE and not UPDATE
That's how SE has done their previous patches. They say the servers are coming down for maintenance. Then at some time before the servers are back up, a patch appears on the downloader.

Then everyone sits around wondering what the heck that patch did until hours later when SE finally releases some patch notes.

Whether this is actually only maintenance or not, we'll find out in about 24 hours from now.

I'm thinking that this will be the market changes that they talked about back on the 29th.

Here is what I'm talking about:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=693682a80ae927d74b11a0381c7cd1af570568aa

You'll notice that in their first answer, they say...

"As a result, we are planning a number of revisions and additions to the system, the first of which are scheduled to be implemented in the next one to two weeks."

With that being on the 29th, the 6th would have been the one week mark. So the timeframe makes sense that what they discuss in that Q&A is what the maintenance will be for.

But who knows? It could just be server restarts.
#17 Oct 07 2010 at 4:16 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Kordain wrote:

EST: Fri 8th 02:00 to 06:00


02:00 to 06:00 EDT.

01:00 to 05:00 EST, for anybody who is actually on Standard Time.
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#18 Oct 07 2010 at 4:26 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
ChrisMattern wrote:
Kordain wrote:

EST: Fri 8th 02:00 to 06:00


02:00 to 06:00 EDT.

01:00 to 05:00 EST, for anybody who is actually on Standard Time.


My mistake, will edit :)
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#19 Oct 07 2010 at 4:45 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
great hope this will be updates
____________________________
[/img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/15888_522108734d0bb9f4.png[/img]
#20 Oct 07 2010 at 4:50 AM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
"There was an issue when using the level 32 job ability against a certain species of doe in Corethas would cause that your shield may not display correctly. This issue has now been addressed."
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#21 Oct 07 2010 at 5:51 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
it's 6-10am gmt
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#22 Oct 07 2010 at 6:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
315 posts
I predict:

"The /bell command has been added."
#23 Oct 07 2010 at 6:38 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,043 posts
Anyone else predicting more market wards and a quest in each city to trade 2x "Insert Item Here" to increase fame?
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#24 Oct 07 2010 at 7:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
"There was an issue when using the level 32 job ability against a certain species of doe in Corethas would cause that your shield may not display correctly. This issue has now been addressed."


That is funny.... and pretty much what I am expecting to see when they release the update notes.

It's like having your car towed to the mechanic and when you return to pick it up they tell you that they replaced the brake light cover, because it had a small crack in it.

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 8:01am by Mithsavvy
#25 Oct 07 2010 at 8:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
It's the 6 GB update.

15 leve quests
3 new species of marmots
1 SE ego
2 new market wards
#26 Oct 07 2010 at 8:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts
Quote:
"There was an issue when using the level 32 job ability against a certain species of doe in Corethas would cause that your shield may not display correctly. This issue has now been addressed."


I don't think it will be anythign that elaborate... I'm expecting something like:

"The /sit emote for Miqo'te has been changed slightly".
#27 Oct 07 2010 at 8:57 AM Rating: Excellent
ScaryTrees wrote:
I predict:

"The /bell command has been added."

I never could get that to work right...
#28 Oct 07 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
534 posts
I'm thinking they may be adding pumpkins, a lot of pumpkins...Halloween is right around the corner. WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#29 Oct 07 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
384 posts
i Wouldn't hold your breath that SE is doing anything to better the game, it's only four hours. and i certaintly didn't get an update when i tried to load up XIV.
____________________________
Naeo & Loury
PUP73 & BRD78
both retired.
R.I.P
Bismarck Server - 8 years in the making.

Upset about XIV? Stop complaining, and join the solution
ffxiah thread
ZAM thread
BG, Gamespot, and other sites are being utilized as well.
#30 Oct 07 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
outside of search (all forms of search including good party search), the only other real update I want are quests... I would love to do some quests... It would make me even happier if they gave exp for quests (I don't even care so much for the items)... Where are the quests...
#31 Oct 07 2010 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
Naeo wrote:
i Wouldn't hold your breath that SE is doing anything to better the game, it's only four hours. and i certaintly didn't get an update when i tried to load up XIV.


You know as well as the rest of us SE ninja fixes small **** in their maintenances.
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#32 Oct 07 2010 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
Im scratchin my head wondering because im in EST time zone but maintenance isnt on till much later.
I can't login no matter what. Did they start an early maintenance?
____________________________
One day maybe:
ShaolinGate.com
#33 Oct 07 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
384 posts
even if they ninja maint some stuff, to fix the basic bug issues XIV has, it's require atleast a good 12+ hours.
____________________________
Naeo & Loury
PUP73 & BRD78
both retired.
R.I.P
Bismarck Server - 8 years in the making.

Upset about XIV? Stop complaining, and join the solution
ffxiah thread
ZAM thread
BG, Gamespot, and other sites are being utilized as well.
#34 Oct 07 2010 at 9:39 AM Rating: Default
**
519 posts
tsubasacat wrote:
Quote:
"There was an issue when using the level 32 job ability against a certain species of doe in Corethas would cause that your shield may not display correctly. This issue has now been addressed."


I don't think it will be anythign that elaborate... I'm expecting something like:

"The /sit emote for Miqo'te has been changed slightly".


lol i remember this guess no one here has played ffxi since day 1 cuz no one else seems to be gettin it
____________________________
FFXI 75rdm 75 war 37 blm 37whm 56mnk 32 blu (Temporarily Retired)

FFXIV Rabanastre: Lolita Conplex deleted. misfits ls used me gave em all my stuff being a good guildie then they riddiculed me til i quit.. stay away from

#35 Oct 07 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
An issue where under some conditions the development team can't ignore user feedback has been addressed:
Ability - Development team now has the ability to completely ignore its user base. Use: Instant, Effect: Forever, Cooldown: N/A
Trait - Development team members now have a chance to do the opposite of what users want. Always Active.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#36 Oct 07 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Naeo wrote:
even if they ninja maint some stuff, to fix the basic bug issues XIV has, it's require atleast a good 12+ hours.


Why does everyone keep saying tings liks this? They don't shut the servers down and start hacking at the code. They get make changes to the code, test it, tweak it, get it ready to upload - then they shut the servers down and install the new server side code and setup the client side patch to be downloaded.

However long that process is, the required "maintenance" perid should be roughly the same weather they are fixing one small bug, or doing a significant overhaul. Whatever updates they are implementing tonight are already done as far as coding goes.

Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years and the placeholders for future content are all over the place.
#37 Oct 07 2010 at 10:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
384 posts
It's SE honey, they're known to fix stuff, and find their fix caused bugs, requiring extended maintenance, which then caused another flaw, that they then extend it again to fix. it's happened at every update that was addressing flaws in the game during XI, it will happen again here in XIV.

it's a part of life that we've all accepted. I'd rather be locked out of the game for an extended period of time, than deal with small patches here and there while they collectively fix stuff.
____________________________
Naeo & Loury
PUP73 & BRD78
both retired.
R.I.P
Bismarck Server - 8 years in the making.

Upset about XIV? Stop complaining, and join the solution
ffxiah thread
ZAM thread
BG, Gamespot, and other sites are being utilized as well.
#38 Oct 07 2010 at 10:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Waaaaaaait a second. I'm starting to think from reading through this thread that people are of the impression that in order to do an update to the game (ie. fix major things) that SE takes down the servers and then writes all the code and makes all the configuration changes and does all of that on the fly. That's not what any of you really think, is it? I mean...really? Say it ain't so.

If there's a major update to be done, it will involve taking down the servers and transfering the updated host information from the test servers. That doesn't take 14 hours. Nowhere near. It shouldn't even take 8 hours unless they're taking the server banks apart to blow out the dust...not likely for a game 2 weeks old. 4 hours to transfer software, test, and bring back up is plenty. You'd be amazed with what could happen in that timeframe. Other MMO companies can add full content patches in an 8 hour maintenance.

I'm starting to think you guys want a longer maintenance just so that even if SE fixes all of the issues, you can ***** about how long the maintenance took to complete in order to implement the fixes.

Edit: **** you, Mithsavvy!

Edited, Oct 7th 2010 9:22am by Aurelius
#39 Oct 07 2010 at 10:20 AM Rating: Decent
Mithsavvy wrote:


Why does everyone keep saying tings liks this? They don't shut the servers down and start hacking at the code. They get make changes to the code, test it, tweak it, get it ready to upload - then they shut the servers down and install the new server side code and setup the client side patch to be downloaded.

However long that process is, the required "maintenance" perid should be roughly the same weather they are fixing one small bug, or doing a significant overhaul. Whatever updates they are implementing tonight are already done as far as coding goes.

Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years and the placeholders for future content are all over the place.



<3 Intelligence -- rate up
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#40 Oct 07 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years


Yeah, because I'm sure that, while they struggle just to make a menu function, to make the chat acceptable, and to figure out how exp works, they sit in their offices on top fully-realised and well-thought-out expansions.

If they can't get the absolute simplest aspects of user-interface down to a passable level, I do not think that it is reasonable to assume they've been able to cobble together an expansion overflowing with content.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#41 Oct 07 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I hate military time, even digital clock give me pause to think.
____________________________





#42 Oct 07 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
Mithsavvy wrote:
Naeo wrote:
even if they ninja maint some stuff, to fix the basic bug issues XIV has, it's require atleast a good 12+ hours.


Why does everyone keep saying tings liks this? They don't shut the servers down and start hacking at the code. They get make changes to the code, test it, tweak it, get it ready to upload - then they shut the servers down and install the new server side code and setup the client side patch to be downloaded.

However long that process is, the required "maintenance" perid should be roughly the same weather they are fixing one small bug, or doing a significant overhaul. Whatever updates they are implementing tonight are already done as far as coding goes.

Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years and the placeholders for future content are all over the place.


I'm honestly starting to think that this is why so many people seem unwilling to give SE credit for the things they actually do to try and fix the game. They assume that no major 8+ hour maintenance has been done, therefore SE isn't really trying. And they further assume when a longer maintenance is done that it always entails massive changes to the game when all it could really indicate is that they were swapping out and reconfiguring faulty hardware or doing routine hardware maintenance. That would explain all of the "SE isn't doing anything to address our concerns" ******** a few days into official service. "There has been no extended maintenance while SE changes and recompiles the code on the servers, therefore they must not be doing anything at all."

What a ******* tragedy that would be if that's what people really thought....
#43 Oct 07 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
KaneKitty wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years


Yeah, because I'm sure that, while they struggle just to make a menu function, to make the chat acceptable, and to figure out how exp works, they sit in their offices on top fully-realised and well-thought-out expansions.

If they can't get the absolute simplest aspects of user-interface down to a passable level, I do not think that it is reasonable to assume they've been able to cobble together an expansion overflowing with content.


Actually, most MMO developers do start work on new expansions immediately after (and sometimes even slightly before) a major push (in this case, launch). It's the only way to have a chance at staying ahead of the curve and releasing a decent expansion before your players go ballistic and quit over lack of content.
#44 Oct 07 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
The server setup in 11 was not optimal, and required a totally different method for updates. XIV has proven to have ~2-4 hour reboot window. Meaning for a straight system reboot (they have done that twice now), it takes ~2 hours, for a code migration and reboot, it takes ~4 hours, they have done this several times. Each time they have hit their targeted time or come up faster (I think once they were 15 minutes late...).

Anyways, The size and scope of the maintenance are obviously an unknown, and it could have updates, it probably has updates... It may not. We will not know until either the update is done, or SE publishes something. My guess is they are waiting for the full list of things, getting it translated, and attempting to release the maintenance notes at once. It takes far less time to say you are taking a system down than it does to confirm all the changes that are going to make it in time, and get them handed over to a wordsmith, who then hands them over to a translator, how then hands them back to the project manager, who than hands them over to the web team. I am sure we will see some information by the end of day today related to the maintenance. And we definitely will if there is an update involved (and people get their stuff done on time).

And if/when we get the patch, we will have a rough idea from the size as to the scope of the fixes involved. Unless of course they are slipping in new data that's ready for future code that is not... which could leave us with the impression the update is bigger than it really is...

#45 Oct 07 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
704 posts
Everyone is so negative and doubtful. I am staying postive until the free month of play is over. The place holders are to obvious and even promotional material release by SE shows things not yet in the game, cutscenes, quest, etc.

There are Chocobo placeholders, Airship placeholders, small city like areas close to every major city, new town and guild area place holders, etc. This is content that is activly being worked on NOW and will be released. Not content they plan to start to develope someday... SE has a long history of playing it tight lipped until it something is 100% ready and they often do not hint at anything until it is 100%, nor do they release it.

This may not be the patch that adds in a lot of the updates and "in development" content and fixes, but they are coming.

On 5/16/2002 FFXI went on sale and service began. The job max was 50, there where no NMs, No Auction House, and many jobs we no in FFXI, including SMN where not in the game at all. There where so many server issues, disconnects, etc. that they extended the free play month to make up for all the issues which they eventually fixed.

On 5/23/2002 they did a small patch, with 2 really small and insignificant quick fixes... sound familiar yet?

On 6/11/2002 The first major update was released, less than a month after service began. This saw the implementation of the Auction House, Notorious Monsters, HQ Crafting results, and a bunch of fixes and adjustments. The first of many such changes.



FFXIV is NOT FFXI. You can not say that because these things have been done right in FFXI for 8 years now, they should have been in to start FFXIV off with. FFXIV is a completely new game with new features, a new engine, and a lot of programing differences and challenges. It is not simply reusing code with minor updates... Any programmer should know this. You may be able, as a programmer/dev, to look at FFXI and say that this works great and we want it in FFXIV but that is just the start of the process, you still have to make it FFXIV compatible.

The first 4 months of FFXI in JP saw a major patch every month and numerous other small patch fixes and improvements as well. The 50 cap was also raised be 5 levels as well, and all of this was, free content, of course. I am willing to bet that the devs where just a tight lipped back then as well, and that a bunch of these issues where complained about up to the fix, then new issues where complained about after as well. Thus is the life of a MMO. FFXIV is a new born baby and has not let learned to craw, let alone run yet. Life has just begun, and the game is far from dead. SE may never hit WoW sub numbers and may even suffer some sub loss due to day 1 problems turning people off, but they do still have time to fix many of the issues before they completely alienate their fans. They also have the money and power to do so if they choose, especially with the PS3 version yet to be released... Not to mention the next Xbox and the PS4, etc. What they lose on PC due to release issues, they can make up if they do it properly. I for one, choose to have faith for now... that may make me a fanboy, but I am playing for free right now and enjoying all my time in game as well, despite all the issues.
#46 Oct 07 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
They never release update notes until after the servers are down. This is because they don't want to deal with the possibility of players taking advantage of that information in-game just prior to shutting down the servers. I'm sure its not relevant in all cases, but nonetheless that appears to be their MO.

I can handle knowing that when I wake up tomorrow morning I will have a fresh set of update notes to pour over while drinking my coffee.


#47 Oct 07 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
Leodesol wrote:
Everyone is so negative and doubtful. I am staying postive until the free month of play is over. The place holders are to obvious and even promotional material release by SE shows things not yet in the game, cutscenes, quest, etc.

There are Chocobo placeholders, Airship placeholders, small city like areas close to every major city, new town and guild area place holders, etc. This is content that is activly being worked on NOW and will be released. Not content they plan to start to develope someday... SE has a long history of playing it tight lipped until it something is 100% ready and they often do not hint at anything until it is 100%, nor do they release it.

This may not be the patch that adds in a lot of the updates and "in development" content and fixes, but they are coming.

On 5/16/2002 FFXI went on sale and service began. The job max was 50, there where no NMs, No Auction House, and many jobs we no in FFXI, including SMN where not in the game at all. There where so many server issues, disconnects, etc. that they extended the free play month to make up for all the issues which they eventually fixed.

On 5/23/2002 they did a small patch, with 2 really small and insignificant quick fixes... sound familiar yet?

On 6/11/2002 The first major update was released, less than a month after service began. This saw the implementation of the Auction House, Notorious Monsters, HQ Crafting results, and a bunch of fixes and adjustments. The first of many such changes.



FFXIV is NOT FFXI. You can not say that because these things have been done right in FFXI for 8 years now, they should have been in to start FFXIV off with. FFXIV is a completely new game with new features, a new engine, and a lot of programing differences and challenges. It is not simply reusing code with minor updates... Any programmer should know this. You may be able, as a programmer/dev, to look at FFXI and say that this works great and we want it in FFXIV but that is just the start of the process, you still have to make it FFXIV compatible.

The first 4 months of FFXI in JP saw a major patch every month and numerous other small patch fixes and improvements as well. The 50 cap was also raised be 5 levels as well, and all of this was, free content, of course. I am willing to bet that the devs where just a tight lipped back then as well, and that a bunch of these issues where complained about up to the fix, then new issues where complained about after as well. Thus is the life of a MMO. FFXIV is a new born baby and has not let learned to craw, let alone run yet. Life has just begun, and the game is far from dead. SE may never hit WoW sub numbers and may even suffer some sub loss due to day 1 problems turning people off, but they do still have time to fix many of the issues before they completely alienate their fans. They also have the money and power to do so if they choose, especially with the PS3 version yet to be released... Not to mention the next Xbox and the PS4, etc. What they lose on PC due to release issues, they can make up if they do it properly. I for one, choose to have faith for now... that may make me a fanboy, but I am playing for free right now and enjoying all my time in game as well, despite all the issues.


Whatever happened to that arena type thing in Whitegate that STILL has absolutely zero use? Placeholders are very likely to change into an actual feature, but please consider the alternative.
____________________________


#48 Oct 07 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Naeo wrote:
even if they ninja maint some stuff, to fix the basic bug issues XIV has, it's require atleast a good 12+ hours.


Why does everyone keep saying tings liks this? They don't shut the servers down and start hacking at the code. They get make changes to the code, test it, tweak it, get it ready to upload - then they shut the servers down and install the new server side code and setup the client side patch to be downloaded.

However long that process is, the required "maintenance" perid should be roughly the same weather they are fixing one small bug, or doing a significant overhaul. Whatever updates they are implementing tonight are already done as far as coding goes.

Even quests and future expansions are likely "mostly done" at this point and need mere refining (if anything). They have been working on this game for many years and the placeholders for future content are all over the place.


I'm honestly starting to think that this is why so many people seem unwilling to give SE credit for the things they actually do to try and fix the game. They assume that no major 8+ hour maintenance has been done, therefore SE isn't really trying. And they further assume when a longer maintenance is done that it always entails massive changes to the game when all it could really indicate is that they were swapping out and reconfiguring faulty hardware or doing routine hardware maintenance. That would explain all of the "SE isn't doing anything to address our concerns" ******** a few days into official service. "There has been no extended maintenance while SE changes and recompiles the code on the servers, therefore they must not be doing anything at all."

What a @#%^ing tragedy that would be if that's what people really thought....


Does everything have to be a springboard for some kind of rant? Smiley: rolleyes


On topic: I'm not expecting anything here. They're still working on rolling out those market ward labeling changes, right? I have a feeling those will be the first of any changes that we see. Best I'm hoping for a significant change to the system is in a few weeks. Who knows though...I'd sure love to be pleasantly surprised.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#49 Oct 07 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Maintenance =/= version update?

They do usually call the version updates as such specifically, yes?
#50 Oct 07 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
167 posts
No update? I thought "maintenance" ended a couple hours ago.
#51 Oct 07 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
20 posts
Nylianna wrote:
No update? I thought "maintenance" ended a couple hours ago.


If the time in the initial post is correct, it hasn't even started yet. The starting time of October 7, 23:00 PDT is six hours from now.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)