Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SQUEENIX HAS FIXED PARTIES! GO FORTH AND SOCIALIZE!Follow

#1 Oct 08 2010 at 4:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
322 posts
Implemented a countermeasure for an issue which prevented players from gaining skill points during battle.

End of the single player MMORPG?
#2 Oct 08 2010 at 5:00 AM Rating: Decent
6 posts
"- Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party."

and AH next week.
Im happy =D

SE keep the good work! :)

#3 Oct 08 2010 at 5:00 AM Rating: Good
*
127 posts
Fixed many chat problems too! Still, /reply would still be better then Ctrl-R.
#4 Oct 08 2010 at 5:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
322 posts
Experience points don't matter, skill points do! lol
#5 Oct 08 2010 at 5:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
LasNoches wrote:
"- Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party."

and AH next week.
Im happy =D

SE keep the good work! :)


No AH next week. Sorry to tell you that...
#6 Oct 08 2010 at 5:36 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
188 posts
experience yes, but did they fix skill point distribution?
#7 Oct 08 2010 at 5:41 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
l2read if you have to ask. THE THING I POSTED SAYS THEY DID.
#8 Oct 08 2010 at 5:48 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Yes, but something tells me you still get points just as quick if not quicker solo.

Some one please prove me wrong and tell us that you can join up in a party and get faster experience points than grinding solo.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#9 Oct 08 2010 at 5:53 AM Rating: Good
**
263 posts
Will be doing some hardcore 4 person partying tommorow (R20) will let ya'll know about it.
#10 Oct 08 2010 at 5:54 AM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
seriously, you guys are annoying,

FFXI, you complain about being force to party.

now FFXIV, you complain about NOT being force to party.

What you want? Experience increase as you sit there the whole day and does nothing?
#11 Oct 08 2010 at 5:57 AM Rating: Excellent
**
263 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
seriously, you guys are annoying,

FFXI, you complain about being force to party.

now FFXIV, you complain about NOT being force to party.

What you want? Experience increase as you sit there the whole day and does nothing?


People complained how hard it was to get a party mostly rather than partying it itself. Which most people rather enjoyed.
#12 Oct 08 2010 at 6:16 AM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Yes, but something tells me you still get points just as quick if not quicker solo.

Some one please prove me wrong and tell us that you can join up in a party and get faster experience points than grinding solo.


You actually gain more exp in groups of 3-6. Soloing after 20 becomes too slow to be bearable I heard.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#13 Oct 08 2010 at 6:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Yes, but something tells me you still get points just as quick if not quicker solo.

Some one please prove me wrong and tell us that you can join up in a party and get faster experience points than grinding solo.


You actually gain more exp in groups of 3-6. Soloing after 20 becomes too slow to be bearable I heard.


Do you? I wouldn't know. My highest melee job right now is 12 Lancer. I'm quite curious what's up so far and if partying = quicker exp or what when how and where. I hope some one posts info on this soon since there was a change made.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#14 Oct 08 2010 at 6:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Yes, but something tells me you still get points just as quick if not quicker solo.

Some one please prove me wrong and tell us that you can join up in a party and get faster experience points than grinding solo.


You actually gain more exp in groups of 3-6. Soloing after 20 becomes too slow to be bearable I heard.


Are you talking experience points or skill points? Because I gain way more XP crafting/mining/gathering then I would ever in a party. However skill points is a different matter obviously.

____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#15 Oct 08 2010 at 6:35 AM Rating: Decent
**
322 posts
Party I get 200-400sp a pop.

Solo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4

You should've seen that video by now.

#16 Oct 08 2010 at 7:43 AM Rating: Default
**
548 posts
That's great news, I can't wait to log in and be reimbursed for the 100,000 SP I've been cheated out of over the last few weeks.
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Oct 08 2010 at 8:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
575 posts
DonFlamenco wrote:
That's great news, I can't wait to log in and be reimbursed for the 100,000 SP I've been cheated out of over the last few weeks.


If you kept doing the same thing that was obviously not working correctly for that long, I don't feel too bad for you.
#18 Oct 08 2010 at 8:31 AM Rating: Default
**
602 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Party I get 200-400sp a pop.

Solo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4

You should've seen that video by now.



This may sound ****** up, but I know why you got so little sp soloing there. You are taking the mobs too fast. Exping sp is like skilling up on XI. You need to stick to your weakest attack and spam it. It totally needs to be redesigned, it pushes everyone to under perform.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#19 Oct 08 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Excellent
**
263 posts
Actually he is getting an abnormally low amount due to those Coblyns just being weird for melee. They give a lot lower SP than normal mobs around their level, has nothing to do with him killing them too fast.
#20 Oct 08 2010 at 8:38 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
94 posts
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Now we can party and we will have an AH?! SCORE!!!!!!


Thank you SE
#21 Oct 08 2010 at 8:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
327 posts
sylph19 wrote:
Actually he is getting an abnormally low amount due to those Coblyns just being weird for melee. They give a lot lower SP than normal mobs around their level, has nothing to do with him killing them too fast.


There may be some of that, sure. But as stated in a previous thread we were posting in over the past few days, it does seem as if solo SP gains are trunkated after you get past rank 20.

For instance, last night my roommate and I were duo'ing squirrels and does in Coerthas for around ~100 SP a fight. Was quick and fun. He ranked up and wanting to call it quits for the night. I figured I'd continue fighting just the squirrels to get some more drops. Well, even though I was doing 100% of the damage now (instead of 50% in a duo setup), SP gains dropped to around 30 a fight. We're talking a lot slower fights, too. I wasn't blowing all my cooldowns and doing quick nukes to make the fight go as fast as possible.

So yah, I think there is some truth to the fact that Solo SP gains are nerfed rank 20+ or 21+, or somewhere around there.

I'm so happy to see partying fixed! Now we can form some large teams and target harder monsters for drops that our crafters need -and- everyone will still get SP for doing such.
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#22 Oct 08 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
PuppetShow wrote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Now we can party and we will have an AH?! SCORE!!!!!!


Thank you SE


And this is how rumors get started...

In an attempt to try to put this one down, they are NOT adding an AH next week. They are dividing the market wards into meaningful categories instead of "First Syntgoht Ward". They may be adding some search function, but that isn't confirmed yet.

I repeat, no AH next week, just an update to market wards.
#23 Oct 08 2010 at 8:50 AM Rating: Decent
**
322 posts
Not true Sylph, would you like me to make another video of a different mob? Same thing. Solo is bad. Party is good. Nothing new.
#24 Oct 08 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
You have surplus exp in that video :(
#25 Oct 08 2010 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
*
139 posts
sylph19 wrote:
Will be doing some hardcore 4 person partying tommorow (R20) will let ya'll know about it.


That just sounds dirty.
#26 Oct 08 2010 at 9:17 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
xthunderblazex wrote:
Party I get 200-400sp a pop.

Solo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4

You should've seen that video by now.



This may sound @#%^ed up, but I know why you got so little sp soloing there. You are taking the mobs too fast. Exping sp is like skilling up on XI. You need to stick to your weakest attack and spam it. It totally needs to be redesigned, it pushes everyone to under perform.



^^ This... why is it so hard to understand this? You gain class xp for performing actions. If you kill a mob in 2-3 swings you get 2 or 3 CHANCES to gain some class xp.

Guard/heal/debuff... you have a chance to gain class xp for any action you perform even if it's action equipped from another class. I.E. poison from thaumaturge will gain you xp in any class and allows you to protract the fight so you can "Practice" your skills.
In addition some folks have pointed this out allready, if you do a Leve, and use Guardian Favor, you have plenty of time to kill mobs on the way to your targets. For each 2-3 minutes you spend playing with a mob you can get astronomical SP.
#27 Oct 08 2010 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
sylph19 wrote:
Actually he is getting an abnormally low amount due to those Coblyns just being weird for melee. They give a lot lower SP than normal mobs around their level, has nothing to do with him killing them too fast.


They do seem to give lower amounts per gain (whenever the super secret formula decides you actually gained some SP) but I wonder if they are actually coded correctly for being green to him.

Guess we'll find out eventually.
#28 Oct 08 2010 at 9:35 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Not true Sylph, would you like me to make another video of a different mob? Same thing. Solo is bad. Party is good. Nothing new.



I wonder if this is skewed for mele classes. Then there is the fact most people, including what you show inthat video are too ADD to gian class SP. You have to actually do stuff to earn class SP. With the random chance of SP generation you have to do that more then 2 or 3 tiems per mob.

Solo seems to be good class sp for any class so long as you are willing to actual earn the SP. Don't rush to kill the mob, just play with it, heal, debuf, guard etc. PRACTICE YOUR SKILLS, that's how you gain SP. Some mobs might have a skewed sp gain, avoid those. I have yet to find any mob that has skewed SP gain. I've seen plenty that one shot casters at orange, but I just avoid those.

I'm currently 21 phys leveling Conj and Thaum (and a bunch of crafting professions) but Coblyns can give me as much as 300-400 sp for a 2 minute fight solo. If i have guardian favor i can level in one or two leves. That's impossible to do in a party with the current sp gain system.

Party is bad bad bad for casters. Especially support casters. Doing rank 5 leves in a group of 4, I can expect to gain class sp once or twice the entire set of 9-12 leves. All the time doing healing, buffing, debuffing, using single or aoe dds etc. Don't even get me started on the aggro mechanic. Buffing in combat will get you killed in a flash.
#29 Oct 08 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
327 posts
Sigh...

It seems like each poster gets hung up on a different aspect that might possibly be the cause, but was already explained away.

Things that currently aren't the only cause of lowered SP gains while solo rank 21+:

  • Fatigue: None of my testing as a THM24 was done while fatigued.
  • DoW vs DoM: Results have been received from both mages and melee.
  • Fast vs Slow Kill: I kill monsters very slow. I'm no idiot when it comes to getting solo SP, so I know to spam moves vs blowing cooldowns on quick kills.
  • Monster Type: Again, numerous different types of monsters have been used in my test. Ladybugs, Squirrels, Monkeys, Dodo, Spiders, Humans, Wolves, Does, Mushrooms, Roses, Puks/Pterocs. All support the hypothesis.


I know soloing up to 20, you all think that we must be crazy for propozing this, but it's true. All mobs seem to give less SP rank 20/21+ than they did getting to 20.

Partying for SP (Especially with the SP fix for parties is way better than trying to solo, unless you are interested in keeping 100% of the drops.

I will admit, this hasn't been a scientific test of things, and maybe Thunder and I are suffering from a massive case of coincidence, but the only other person rank 21+ in my guild has experienced, I have experienced it, and Thunder has experienced it. I think there's some truth there.

I'd be curious to see other people rank 21+ post their findings, but maybe they're too busy keeping the fact that solo SP is dead after 21, so that they can continue to out level the rest of us. hehe.
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#30 Oct 08 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
*
237 posts
Has it been confirmed in-game that parties of 3+ members are all gaining SP at the end of each fight?

I know patch notes might say so, But knowing SE wording is very important.

I was expectign something like:

countermeasures for players in parties not receiving SP has been addressed.

not:
countermeasures for players not recieving SP as been addressed.
____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#31 Oct 08 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
**
263 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Not true Sylph, would you like me to make another video of a different mob? Same thing. Solo is bad. Party is good. Nothing new.


It's slow but I think that video gives the wrong idea, 11 sp on gain is not normal. Even if 30 is low, that's still more than double what you're getting. Do record a video of Cellar Puks (I believe they are around the same level in that zone.) If you're right then I tip my hat to you.
#32 Oct 08 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
Ridere wrote:
Sigh...

It seems like each poster gets hung up on a different aspect that might possibly be the cause, but was already explained away.

Things that currently aren't the only cause of lowered SP gains while solo rank 21+:

  • Fatigue: None of my testing as a THM24 was done while fatigued.
  • DoW vs DoM: Results have been received from both mages and melee.
  • Fast vs Slow Kill: I kill monsters very slow. I'm no idiot when it comes to getting solo SP, so I know to spam moves vs blowing cooldowns on quick kills.
  • Monster Type: Again, numerous different types of monsters have been used in my test. Ladybugs, Squirrels, Monkeys, Dodo, Spiders, Humans, Wolves, Does, Mushrooms, Roses, Puks/Pterocs. All support the hypothesis.


I know soloing up to 20, you all think that we must be crazy for propozing this, but it's true. All mobs seem to give less SP rank 20/21+ than they did getting to 20.

Partying for SP (Especially with the SP fix for parties is way better than trying to solo, unless you are interested in keeping 100% of the drops.

I will admit, this hasn't been a scientific test of things, and maybe Thunder and I are suffering from a massive case of coincidence, but the only other person rank 21+ in my guild has experienced, I have experienced it, and Thunder has experienced it. I think there's some truth there.

I'd be curious to see other people rank 21+ post their findings, but maybe they're too busy keeping the fact that solo SP is dead after 21, so that they can continue to out level the rest of us. hehe.



I've only had a half a cup of coffee, but are you reading the same thread? I think most of the comments have to do with the video evidence thunder posted. Green mob killed in 2-3 wings gains little sp. That's normal for the frequency of sp gain. What's not normal is the amount of SP gained.

Class SP gain after 20 is defiantly skewed, as instead of ganing 50-100-150 per skill gain for some mobs it's 2-5-10. That's odd, but again those are green easy mobs aren't they? What happens when you fight an orange one? This is for Solo sp gain.
I don't believe for one minute that SP gain in a party is much better than solo. For mele classes maybe. Casters, i don't think so. You are lucky to gain sp once during an entire leve. that's at 1, 5, 10, 15, 20. Fighting mobs in Camp Horizon currently so that's where i'm basing my information from.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 12:09pm by Vladislaus
#33 Oct 08 2010 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
364 posts
Ridere wrote:
Sigh...

It seems like each poster gets hung up on a different aspect that might possibly be the cause, but was already explained away.

Things that currently aren't the only cause of lowered SP gains while solo rank 21+:

  • Fatigue: None of my testing as a THM24 was done while fatigued.
  • DoW vs DoM: Results have been received from both mages and melee.
  • Fast vs Slow Kill: I kill monsters very slow. I'm no idiot when it comes to getting solo SP, so I know to spam moves vs blowing cooldowns on quick kills.
  • Monster Type: Again, numerous different types of monsters have been used in my test. Ladybugs, Squirrels, Monkeys, Dodo, Spiders, Humans, Wolves, Does, Mushrooms, Roses, Puks/Pterocs. All support the hypothesis.


I know soloing up to 20, you all think that we must be crazy for propozing this, but it's true. All mobs seem to give less SP rank 20/21+ than they did getting to 20.

Partying for SP (Especially with the SP fix for parties is way better than trying to solo, unless you are interested in keeping 100% of the drops.

I will admit, this hasn't been a scientific test of things, and maybe Thunder and I are suffering from a massive case of coincidence, but the only other person rank 21+ in my guild has experienced, I have experienced it, and Thunder has experienced it. I think there's some truth there.

I'd be curious to see other people rank 21+ post their findings, but maybe they're too busy keeping the fact that solo SP is dead after 21, so that they can continue to out level the rest of us. hehe.


I don't think it's the 20's that solo SP is nerfed, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the teens (my guess would be either 11 or 15). One time in the late teens I had Recruit on for so long I forgot about it. I had been soloing the same Blue-Yellow Puks in the same area for well over an hour. Randomly, some guy auto-joins my recruitment in the area and my SP immediately went from 10-20 SP procs to 30-40SP procs, it was blatantly obvious. I don't think he realized he had been auto-partied, so I continued to solo for another good half hour. The gains stayed markedly improved the whole time. This is clearly the "Incentive" to party that SE has talked about on several occasions. Instead of actually giving a Bonus, in typical SE fashion, I'm convinced they just nerfed solo play.
#34 Oct 08 2010 at 10:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
YESSSSSSSSSS! They fixed the chat closing thing! I no longer have to play the "oh god oh god oh god must type faster I'm almost done sawing..." game! Woohoo!
#35 Oct 08 2010 at 10:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
364 posts
Vladislaus wrote:
I've only had a half a cup of coffee, but are you reading the same thread? I think most of the comments have to do with the video evidence thunder posted. Green mob killed in 2-3 wings gains little sp. That's normal for the frequency of sp gain. What's not normal is the amount of SP gained.

Class SP gain after 20 is defiantly skewed, as instead of ganing 50-100-150 per skill gain for some mobs it's 2-5-10. That's odd, but again those are green easy mobs aren't they? What happens when you fight an orange one? This is for Solo sp gain.
I don't believe for one minute that SP gain in a party is much better than solo. For mele classes maybe. Casters, i don't think so. You are lucky to gain sp once during an entire leve. that's at 1, 5, 10, 15, 20. Fighting mobs in Camp Horizon currently so that's where i'm basing my information from.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 12:09pm by Vladislaus


Orange mobs give roughly the same average SP/Kill as Green and Yellow when solo. I've soloed Green-Orange Fat Dodo's as a 22 melee for hours on end. The invisible mob stat buff and player stat nerf that is based purely what a mob checks (just as it existed in XI) makes soloing Non-Coblyn/Non-Leve Reds incredibly difficult if not impossible for a melee.


Edited, Oct 8th 2010 12:18pm by Furia

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 12:20pm by Furia
#36 Oct 08 2010 at 10:32 AM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
I'll make a video of puks when I'm there again if I remember...takes forever and a half to upload it though, even in that crappy quality, lol.
#37 Oct 08 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
327 posts
Furia wrote:
I don't think it's the 20's that solo SP is nerfed, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the teens (my guess would be either 11 or 15). One time in the late teens I had Recruit on for so long I forgot about it. I had been soloing the same Blue-Yellow Puks in the same area for well over an hour. Randomly, some guy auto-joins my recruitment in the area and my SP immediately went from 10-20 SP procs to 30-40SP procs, it was blatantly obvious. I don't think he realized he had been auto-partied, so I continued to solo for another good half hour. The gains stayed markedly improved the whole time. This is clearly the "Incentive" to party that SE has talked about on several occasions. Instead of actually giving a Bonus, in typical SE fashion, I'm convinced they just nerfed solo play.


That's quite interesting to hear. And you very well could be right, and we just didn't notice it before hand. That, or it's just a gradual decline once you get 15+, or something along those lines. I'm not 100% certain. I don't think anyone really is. But it's always good to hear more evidence that fighting the same monsters in a party vs solo, party gains more SP on average. It's exactly what my testing in Coerthas last night showed.

Vladislaus... I don't quite understand your post. I believe I'm posting in the right thread. On one hand you admit that solo skill ups are skewed 20+, then you go on to say that there's no way partying is better. One thing worth mentioning, though. I've never really ever found benefit from grouping up for guild leves. Unless you five-star the fight, you're doing yourself a disservice in SP by killing the monsters faster with a party. So I can believe you when you say it's better to solo those.

That being said, we weren't really talking about guild leve partying. More so just gritty, dirty, FFXI-like grinding using roaming parties. That's where you really see a difference between partying and solo.

I'm so excited to start partying again! :)
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#38 Oct 08 2010 at 11:00 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
Ridere wrote:


Vladislaus... I don't quite understand your post. I believe I'm posting in the right thread. On one hand you admit that solo skill ups are skewed 20+, then you go on to say that there's no way partying is better. One thing worth mentioning, though. I've never really ever found benefit from grouping up for guild leves. Unless you five-star the fight, you're doing yourself a disservice in SP by killing the monsters faster with a party. So I can believe you when you say it's better to solo those.

That being said, we weren't really talking about guild leve partying. More so just gritty, dirty, FFXI-like grinding using roaming parties. That's where you really see a difference between partying and solo.

I'm so excited to start partying again! :)


Sorry if i was unclear, i was reffering to the ability to gain any SP while grouped as a caster. While soloing sp gain still occurs as often as before hitting 20, partied SP gain was non-existent. Both leve and general mob hunting. I did say leve's but i was referring to both. Should wait for coffee to kick in.

As far as gaining the same amount of sp (frequency wise) partied i don't see how that's possible for casters. Mobs die before you can finish two casts. In most cases you can barely do one cast. Having a fight that lasts longer is so rare in a group of 4 or more it's weird. That's fighting reds and oranges.

I'm not saying that's the case for mele classes, as i don't know. Conj/Thaum... party = significantly reduced sp gain in parties.
I was in a 4 member party yesterday for a little over 2 hours. In that time frame i gained 30 sp total as a conjurer, the Pug leveled and was close to next level. I was the only caster so i had no good reference if it was my play style.

fixed some typos and reworded a bit as it made no sense... off to get more coffee

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 1:02pm by Vladislaus
#39 Oct 08 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
327 posts
Vladislaus wrote:
Sorry if i was unclear, i was reffering to the ability to gain any SP while grouped as a caster. While soloing sp gain still occurs as often as before hitting 20, while partied SP gain was non-existent. Both leve and general mob hunting. I did say leve's but i was refferign to both. Should wait for coffee to kick in.

As far as gaining the same amount of sp (frequency wise) partied i don't see how that's possible for casters. Mobs die before you can finish two casts. In most cases you can barely do one cast. Having a fight that lasts longer is such a rarrety in a group of 4 or more it's wierd. Thats fighting reds and oranges.

I'm not saying that's the case for mele classes, as i don't know. Conj/Thaum... party = significantly reduced sp gain in parties.
I was in a 4 member party yesturday for a little over 2 hours. In that time frame i gained 30 sp total as a conjurer, the Pug leveled and was close to next level. I was the only caster so i had no good reference if it was my play style.


Oh man... That is horrible. I'm really sorry to hear that. I think, however, it was probably a case of poor mob choices. For a point of reference, however:

I only do three offensive moves in party as a THM - "Magic Missile", 1000 TP MP Regen attack (Pick whichever you like), and MP Siphon to get MP back. I basically just spam the default dart attack (Which I affectionately refer to as magic missile) as a mage. Casting bigger spells isn't generally worth it to me, due in part to what you mentioned. This could be a flaw in the mechanics of casters, who knows.

I then cast Sacrifice as needed, refresh Stygian Spikes (When I remember), and since I leveled CON to 16, I always keep Protect (and Shell depending on mobs) up. It's worth noting that as a mage, Cure/Sacrifice and buffs do actually give you SP. And you have a chance to get SP for each person you cast on (Including yourself) when in a party AND a monster is engaged (red name).

So a good chunk of SP is gained through buffs/heals, but generally most SP is still gained through dart spamming and TP move usage. When I party up with my linkshell, we target monsters that provide a decent amount of challenge, so they don't die too fast, and there's plenty of times to get in hits as a THM, since the big melee generally know not to use their biggest, baddest moves. We're not trying to kill monsters in record time, we're trying to get acceptable SP/hour. Melee may get more SP than mages, I won't argue that. I've not really compared those numbers. But you definitely should be getting more than just 30 SP over the spam of an entire exp session on a mage. Just try targetting harder monsters, I guess, or tell your other melee to use weaker moves. More damage does not = more SP. Now TP moves probably give more SP on average than the default attack (But I think it's based upon the fact it's a TP move, and not the damage it does), but that doesn't mean they need to stack all their buffs before using it to try and take off 50% of the monster's life. hehe

Hope that helps. I feel for yah. I think there's a lot of growing pains we're experiencing with the new game and party dynamics, but I personally have experienced far greater success 20+ in parties than solo. I think parties are a lot more fun, too, if you find a good group of people to play with. I just wish crystal/shard drops increased with more members, like they did in FFXI. Sharing drops I can deal with, but shards are precious.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 10:18am by Ridere

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 10:20am by Ridere
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#40 Oct 08 2010 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
Ridere wrote:

I only do three offensive moves in party as a THM - "Magic Missile", 1000 TP MP Regen attack (Pick whichever you like), and MP Siphon to get MP back. I basically just spam the default dart attack (Which I affectionately refer to as magic missile) as a mage. Casting bigger spells isn't generally worth it to me, due in part to what you mentioned. This could be a flaw in the mechanics of casters, who knows.

I then cast Sacrifice as needed, refresh Stygian Spikes (When I remember), and since I leveled CON to 16, I always keep Protect (and Shell depending on mobs) up. It's worth noting that as a mage, Cure/Sacrifice and buffs do actually give you SP. And you have a chance to get SP for each person you cast on (Including yourself) when in a party AND a monster is engaged (red name).

So a good chunk of SP is gained through buffs/heals, but generally most SP is still gained through dart spamming and TP move usage. When I party up with my linkshell, we target monsters that provide a decent amount of challenge, so they don't die too fast, and there's plenty of times to get in hits as a THM, since the big melee generally know not to use their biggest, baddest moves. We're not trying to kill monsters in record time, we're trying to get acceptable SP/hour. Melee may get more SP than mages, I won't argue that. I've not really compared those numbers. But you definitely should be getting more than just 30 SP over the spam of an entire exp session on a mage. Just try targetting harder monsters, I guess, or tell your other melee to use weaker moves. More damage does = more SP. Now TP moves probably give more SP on average than the default attack, but that doesn't mean they need to stack all their buffs before using it to try and take off 50% of the monster's life. hehe

Hope that helps. I feel for yah. I think there's a lot of growing pains we're experiencing with the new game and party dynamics, but I personally have experienced far greater success 20+ in parties than solo. I think parties are a lot more fun, too, if you find a good group of people to play with. I just wish crystal/shard drops increased with more members, like they did in FFXI. Sharing drops I can deal with, but shards are precious.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 10:18am by Ridere


I think it boils down to mob choice and patience as i don't see people commenting on this too much. It's funny but the sp gain was from single poison and (i'm stealing this lol) Magic Missle!. Sacrifice and Cure have been so rare for sp gain i can't recall ever seeing that in group... I did gain sp once for spikes
#41 Oct 08 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
327 posts
Vladislaus wrote:
[/quote]I think it boils down to mob choice and patience as i don't see people commenting on this too much. It's funny but the sp gain was from single poison and (i'm stealing this lol) Magic Missle!. Sacrifice and Cure have been so rare for sp gain i can't recall ever seeing that in group... I did gain sp once for spikes


Haha, you're welcome to use it :P

And as for Cure/Sacrifice. Maybe there's some thing in the code that gives a higher chance of SP gain the more HP you heal. Who knows. It's reduced drastically from what it was when people were exploiting it, but it's still a valid source of SP for me. Don't get discouraged is all I can suggest. :)
____________________________
Ridere Tirose
All the Lalafell...
None of the bad aftertaste...
FFXIV Server: Trabia


#42 Oct 08 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
MajidahSihaam wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Yes, but something tells me you still get points just as quick if not quicker solo.

Some one please prove me wrong and tell us that you can join up in a party and get faster experience points than grinding solo.


You actually gain more exp in groups of 3-6. Soloing after 20 becomes too slow to be bearable I heard.


Do you? I wouldn't know. My highest melee job right now is 12 Lancer. I'm quite curious what's up so far and if partying = quicker exp or what when how and where. I hope some one posts info on this soon since there was a change made.


I can tell you as a 19 Con that it is way better to team up than go it alone
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#43 Oct 08 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
259 posts
Pikko wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSS! They fixed the chat closing thing! I no longer have to play the "oh god oh god oh god must type faster I'm almost done sawing..." game! Woohoo!


I love that game!

I will
also miss
the
type two
words
at a time
game
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)