Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

So how did SE ***** this up so bad?Follow

#1 Oct 08 2010 at 9:26 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
What do you think?

I'm guessing it was all the work that went into the engine. Maybe writing an engine from scratch that played well with the PS3's bizarre hardware was too much of a time sink?
____________________________


#2 Oct 08 2010 at 9:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
119 posts
The issue is time. At the time of announcement that the game even existed its out 15 months later. Its a rush job inside and out.
#3 Oct 08 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Yeah I feel it is mainly an issue of them not meeting a release date, they were behding with the programming, and the powers that be wouldn't let them push it back because they wanted it released in this window so it could get a following before other big games came out, however it was a really stupid idea and I hope that some marketing people got fired and then defenestrated.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#4 Oct 08 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
What do you think?


I think they didn't ***** up (I also think that's a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question). I think they made an enjoyable game with rough spots that they have already started fixing. Some people disagree with me on that; that's their right.


Edited, Oct 8th 2010 11:42am by ChrisMattern
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#5 Oct 08 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I feel like they just focused on the wrong things. Too much focus on using *state of the art hardware* without really understanding what that meant, too much focus on including certain pieces of hardware that would eventually cause the same limiting factors we see in their previous game, too much focus on keeping things as an all-in-one experience that was bound to lead to balance issues.

They didn't focus enough on the *little* things that made FFXI such a success. They simply got mesmerized with new technology and forgot the things that made their 8 and 16 bits games so captivating.

It's a shame, because their biggest failure is working too hard on the *packaging* and not enough on the contents. Well, I guess they even failed on some counts with the packaging (UI).

*shrugs. It doesn't matter - what's done is done. Now the question is, are they going to fix it?
#6 Oct 08 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
*
237 posts
supposedly FFXIV has been in the works for ~5years. It was announced that SE was working on a follow up MMO around the time treasue of at'urgan (sp?) expansion for XI. It was known as rapture at the time, Maybe what ever they had been working on had been scrapped and this is the new project.

The neat thing about MMOs is that your initial product isn't the final product. Leves as they are now might change to something that will become more content filled. Not these quick kill missions that take 5-10 min to complete but mission where 30 min is hardly enough time to finish.

Probably most of the player population is in the 10-15 range, and a lot of opinions are based off a very very limited amount of game content. It's like never getting out of the dunes in FFXI (remember how everyone hated the dunes?) The journey to end content seems rough so far, But over the next few months I'm looking forward to teh adventure.
____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#7 Oct 08 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Call me a Fan Boy or whateven but for the life of me I don't see whats so bad about this game.

Please keep in mind this is from a crafter's point of view as my highest fighting class in a Rank 4 GLA.

No AH I can live with, no search on Retainers is a bit more hard to swallow but I want to see what are the changes they are implemented next week.

The missing Skill Points in 2+ parties I understand even if I don't have first hand knowledge but from what I gather they solved it today.

What is so bad about this game today?
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#8 Oct 08 2010 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
There is a German word for what FFXIV tries to be. "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" which roughly translates to "egg laying wool milk pig", meaning that the game tries to please ALL players, casual and hardcore, solo and party players,...
I think that's what gave them the most problems, but I got to admit they somehow managed to achieve that goal in many aspects. However, because of that they pretty much failed in other aspects of the game, like the infamous UI.

There is a lack of content too. A lack wich could be fixed though by the implementation of more different guildleves instead of the 5 or so you can repeat over and over. This gets boring.
Also I still hope they will include "real" quests from NPCs with short cutscenes and a little story as they had in FFXI...but with rewards this time.

That and many, many, many,...maaaaany, I mean really alot of other little and also big things still need to improve for FFXIV to become the game I hoped it would be.

____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#9 Oct 08 2010 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I think its partially bad design choices due to trying to be innovative and emphasize crafting to attract more players, and partially because they were a bit rushed, and they left in alot of bugs and left out alot of basic features.
____________________________


#10 Oct 08 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
RidingBean wrote:
There is a German word for what FFXIV tries to be. "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" which roughly translates to "egg laying wool milk pig", meaning that the game tries to please ALL players, casual and hardcore, solo and party players,...


You just made my day! I've never encountered this saying, but it's hilarious.
First google image result for Eierlegende Wollmilchsau. 0.o

Edit: I can never remember its from it's.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 1:34pm by Chrysothemis
____________________________
[ffxisig]200032[/ffxisig]
#11windexy, Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 11:43 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Yeah because when it came time to packaging instead of having the marketing department come up with something and outsourcing it to a company to stuff boxes they told the programmers to stop what they were doing to come up with artwork, design the package, and stuffed the box.
#12 Oct 08 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
*
154 posts
Quote:
Yeah because when it came time to packaging instead of having the marketing department come up with something and outsourcing it to a company to stuff boxes they told the programmers to stop what they were doing to come up with artwork, design the package, and stuffed the box.


Try and grow a brain fella. Packaging doesn't necessarily mean the actual box your game came in. It could mean something like making really neat graphics but with precious little content behind it.

Put an ice pack on your head, sit back, and try to think, you might just be able to do it.




pre-edit. Yes of course they will be adding more content, its only just released, WOW was crap too blahblah. And besides, SE has a marketing department?
#13 Oct 08 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Yeah I feel it is mainly an issue of them not meeting a release date, they were behding with the programming, and the powers that be wouldn't let them push it back because they wanted it released in this window so it could get a following before other big games came out, however it was a really stupid idea and I hope that some marketing people got fired and then defenestrated.
I think it has more to do with the size of their programming staff. The had plenty of time to release the game, but they likely just have so few people working on the project that they're having difficulty making even reasonable timeframes with the available help. This is why I'd imagine it's also taking forever even for simple fixes to come out, because they're starting from a bare bones team and are already stretched thin without considering the extra work needed around release time.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#14 Oct 08 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
*
154 posts
bsphil

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the size of their programming staff. The had plenty of time to release the game, but they likely just have so few people working on the project that they're having difficulty making even reasonable timeframes with the available help. This is why I'd imagine it's also taking forever even for simple fixes to come out, because they're starting from a bare bones team and are already stretched thin without considering the extra work needed around release time.


This is what I really don't understand about SE, they are a biggish company who's development costs are still underwritten by FFXI, so why have they rushed out such a half ***** game? It's obvious they are more interested in their console customers than PC players which is why we have no drag and drop and are expected to buy a controller to get the best out of the game.

But even if they hold their PC players in disdain, why follow this course? They have annoyed (a lot of) their pc players and generated hugely bad publicity on Amazon and Gamespot (so far), and left themselves a tiny window of two months to win over players who aren't dedicated to the FF franchise.

They should have waited a whole extra year and released a game that, even though it may not have captured more subscribers than WoW, would go down in history as a game that transformed the MMO genre forever and set a new standard for other games to reach, which is what most of us "haters" were hoping for.

I don't doubt this game will be fairly successful but the decisions of the suits and designers are utterly incomprehensible to me, and while hundreds of thousands will love the game, to me it will always seem a missed opportunity, even after its been patched up. It will be just another MMO, with a little more emphasis on crafting and the ability to be all jobs (which is great), but nothing groundbreaking.

Hope I'm wrong
#15 Oct 08 2010 at 6:22 PM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
Quote:
supposedly FFXIV has been in the works for ~5years. It was announced that SE was working on a follow up MMO around the time treasue of at'urgan (sp?) expansion for XI. It was known as rapture at the time, Maybe what ever they had been working on had been scrapped and this is the new project.


They probably thought that this game would go the way of fantasy earth under the rapture title, so they decided to have it coast by with the final fantasy title.

Semi-serious there, it seems like they were banking on the ff fanbase to pull this one.

Quote:
Probably most of the player population is in the 10-15 range, and a lot of opinions are based off a very very limited amount of game content. It's like never getting out of the dunes in FFXI (remember how everyone hated the dunes?) The journey to end content seems rough so far, But over the next few months I'm looking forward to teh adventure.


I would say that the experience to endgame as well as endgame are just as important... especially in a new mmo.
____________________________


#16 Oct 08 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
I think they tried to make the game so different from FFXI they forgot to include the stuff that worked.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#17 Oct 08 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
SevenLittleChipmunks wrote:

The neat thing about MMOs is that your initial product isn't the final product. Leves as they are now might change to something that will become more content filled.


The not neat thing is that they still make you pay the same for it and eventually charge you even more money for 'expansions' which in the case of this game are likely to be add-ons that should have been included initially.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#18 Oct 08 2010 at 7:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
213 posts
I wonder if some things are un fixable because its built into the game engine, like the UI (yes dead horse is gonna get kicked again). One of the first things i seen that made me laugh is the sit/stand part. you mean i really have to use the interface to stand up. is the Crystal Tools engine really something thats Ingenuitive? its like they only focused on a few things but did them well, then just threw everything els together and slapped a Final Fantasy logo on it and busted out the champaign.

EDIT: typo

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 9:59pm by Ba1dw1n
#19 Oct 08 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Default
14 posts
They didn't
#20 Oct 08 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Twolow24 wrote:
The issue is time. At the time of announcement that the game even existed its out 15 months later. Its a rush job inside and out.


I remember seeing screenshots of the game about 4 years ago while I was playing FFXI. There were about 4 shots that were leaked and they looked exactly like the game looks now. At the time I thought it was just a rumor because at the time it really didn't seem possible for an mmorpg to look that good.

In any case, it's clear they've been working on this for a really long time. Whether or not it's been nonstop for years is anybody's guess.

As for them "******** up", that's a matter of opinion. I enjoy the game as it plays and I'm absolutely positive it's only going to get fleshed out further. They may or may not be changing the game in response to player feedback, but it's clear there's more to it that they're holding back for some reason.
____________________________
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/4542_43b2e9830ab8aad8.png[/img]
#21 Oct 08 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
SE should pull this game. Give all of us our money back. Go back into development and then reintroduce the game in a year or two when its ready.

#22 Oct 08 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
162 posts
Developers/Designers saying, cool idea lets do it! without never really playing their own game...

#23 Oct 08 2010 at 9:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
54 posts
MrBarjavel wrote:
Developers/Designers saying, cool idea lets do it! without never really playing their own game...


This is probably very true, at least half of the issues would probably be non-existent if they played it/continued playing the game.
As far as the rush to release, did they try to beat Cataclysm in an effort to snag people that were getting tired of WoW? With any luck the people that were in on creating the various disasters within the game will be replaced with people that understand MMO's.
____________________________
FFXI Retired - 75 RNG/MNK/BLM/RDM/BRD/SMN.
WoW Retired - 70 Druid/Mage/Warlock/Shaman
Quote:
KristoFurwalken seyz: The bottom line is if this game didn't have "Final Fantasy" in the title no one would be defending it.
#24 Oct 08 2010 at 10:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
69 posts
I actually enjoy playing this game for what it is. I got bored/tired with all other games. This one seems to have me logging on consistantly, I dont know why, but I can tell you it has something to do with not being fed all the information of playing a game that assumes I'm an idiot.

Hey do you guys remember the days of when players had to actually figure things out in a game?

I just read the gamespot review on this game and I laughed out loud at how much of a newb that guy sounds like. Has he ever played a text based RPG?

Just because he is good at writting a review doesn't mean he actually knows how to play games. I don't claim to be the best player at any games but I have been playing a long time.

I feel the best part about this game is the constant need to learn, experience and develop. It honestly takes a longer break in period to feel comfortable with this game and essentially the reason i keep coming back. Why is it that todays gamer is so focused on being hand fed everything? Do you not like mystery, figuring out games or you just wanna powerlevel and start farming epics like it matters in life?

Play games for what they are, games.
#25 Oct 08 2010 at 11:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
153 posts
The most basic complaints that I hear is in regard to game mechanics. I haven't played yet but I imagine it would be hard to appreciate the depth of the game if simple functions like trading browsing the menu selecting objects are cumbersome.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#26 Oct 08 2010 at 11:31 PM Rating: Good
42 posts
Hugus wrote:
Call me a Fan Boy or whateven but for the life of me I don't see whats so bad about this game.

Please keep in mind this is from a crafter's point of view as my highest fighting class in a Rank 4 GLA.

What is so bad about this game today?


You know I wonder if part of the discrepancy in feelings toward this game may be a class thing. I've leveled a few classes into the teens and I can tell you fighting classes get some of the worst bugs.

The laggy UI has caused me to mess up a couple synths sure (doh, I wanted 'wait' not 'bold'!) But lag can be nasty when you're getting beat on by a mob. Add in the stupid weapon/armor wear that breaks stuff every 2~4 hours of fighting, running all over multiple maps because mobs in your range are all camped (10+ gets really tough for a variety of reasons). And general macro, action bar and UI bugs, all these little things seem more amplified to me in fighting classes.

Seems most of the people that are still somewhat happy with the game spend most of their time crafting, which is fine. I just wish the fighting classes were more fun, sometimes I just wanna go beat on some mobs without all the handicaps and with more strategy than spamming "1" constantly.

Would also be nice to be able to chat while doing stuff but crafters have issues there too.
#27 Oct 08 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Yeah I feel it is mainly an issue of them not meeting a release date, they were behding with the programming, and the powers that be wouldn't let them push it back because they wanted it released in this window so it could get a following before other big games came out, however it was a really stupid idea and I hope that some marketing people got fired and then defenestrated.


If SE works like other japanese companies they will blame the underlings for the failure to meet the impossible deadline and the higher ups that were actually responsible for the disaster will keep right on ******** things up as always.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#28 Oct 08 2010 at 11:59 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
I'm guessing it was all the work that went into the engine. Maybe writing an engine from scratch that played well with the PS3's bizarre hardware was too much of a time sink?


Even people at SE have said that creating Crystal Tools rather than licensing and modifying an already existing engine was a huge mistake.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#29 Oct 09 2010 at 12:05 AM Rating: Decent
ChrisMattern wrote:
yfaithfully wrote:
What do you think?


I think they didn't ***** up (I also think that's a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question). I think they made an enjoyable game with rough spots that they have already started fixing. Some people disagree with me on that; that's their right.


Edited, Oct 8th 2010 11:42am by ChrisMattern



Personally...IMHO you are 1/2 right...1/2 wrong. That analogy works for...and against your argument. SE has created a robot Wife, modeled on an IRL Wife... UNFORTUNATELY They took almost none of the KNOWN benefits/plus's from the IRL Wife and tried to cobble together some Wife that was perfect in some Alien's view that lived on another planet who had an idea WHAT a Wife was, but no idea how it would work to have such a creature IRL.

HENCE: FFXIV

TA-DA!
____________________________
Quote:

"Frostmourne is a Hunter weapon. True story."

-Greg the "Ghostcrawler" Street
#30 Oct 09 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
A.) They rushed the game out to beat Cataclysm and to a lesser extent Star Wars.

B.) They made a game that THEY thought was fun, not a game that their FANS think is fun.

C.) They didn't listen to most of the constructive criticism during Alpha and Beta.

This is a recipe for a disaster.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#31 Oct 09 2010 at 1:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
SevenLittleChipmunks wrote:
supposedly FFXIV has been in the works for ~5years. It was announced that SE was working on a follow up MMO around the time treasue of at'urgan (sp?) expansion for XI. It was known as rapture at the time, Maybe what ever they had been working on had been scrapped and this is the new project.


digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Yeah I feel it is mainly an issue of them not meeting a release date, they were behding with the programming, and the powers that be wouldn't let them push it back because they wanted it released in this window so it could get a following before other big games came out, however it was a really stupid idea and I hope that some marketing people got fired and then defenestrated.


bsphil wrote:
I think it has more to do with the size of their programming staff. The had plenty of time to release the game, but they likely just have so few people working on the project that they're having difficulty making even reasonable timeframes with the available help. This is why I'd imagine it's also taking forever even for simple fixes to come out, because they're starting from a bare bones team and are already stretched thin without considering the extra work needed around release time.


To be honest, I doubt it's any of those issues that really have underlying reason. The problem with FFXIV is the same reason that FFXIII was as lackluster.

Put simply, they spent too much **** time working on the graphical engine. They spent way too much time -- years -- working on Crystal Tools for this generation of games. It's still not that great, is horribly inefficient, but they wanted to use it so that they can do whatever the **** they want with it. They designed it for the PS2 platform and then scrapped it and started over once they realized that it wasn't worth time pursuing such a venture as the PS3 was around the corner. Now they're scrambling for time, time they don't have anymore, for FFXIV after the volatile reaction towards the content-less filled FFXIII and the sad launch status of the next entry.

If FFXIV was truly in development for those five years, I'm pretty **** sure that four of them was just working on the engine. Obvious reasons aside, I can't logically think of anything else that would explain how terrible the state of the game currently is (aside from Tanaka's ego and lack of reality check/market awareness). If they really took five years to make what you have now on retail then we're in an even worse situation; think of how much longer it'll take to get the game into a workable state if it took them this long to get to what we have now?

Management is to blame heavily for the state of the game (as well as marketing for pushing such a release date with too little testing time). Depending on who gave the order, some of the blame also falls to the development team for spending so much time on Crystal Tools and even moreso if designing the engine was their idea alone.

It's a modern Diakatana.
#32thehellfire, Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 1:20 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) SE didnt ***** up, the gamers who wanted another wow clone got surprised with a non clone of Wow
#33 Oct 09 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Default
Maybe your the one that screwed up? You prolly haven't got past rank 30. Take your hate elsewhere, until you know wtf you are talking about.
#34thehellfire, Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 1:33 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Ooh bust out that epeen
#35 Oct 09 2010 at 1:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
SE didnt ***** up, the gamers who wanted another wow clone got surprised with a non clone of Wow


Looks like you are missing the point.
Nobody wants a World of Warcraft Clone (most players left by now are former FFXI players anyway...).
All we want is something that works without using paper and pencil (crafting recipes), crushed
controler/keyboard buttons (pressing 1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1 for hours) and wasting hours upon hours
in a retainer SM-dollhouse-dungeon. Creepy place. Never been there yet?
#36 Oct 09 2010 at 1:53 AM Rating: Good
**
952 posts
Quote:
I think they tried to make the game so different from FFXI they forgot to include the stuff that worked.


This a thousand times. They are so **** bent on keeping their vision of the game, which is fine to a point, that they completely forgot everything else involved with making a good MMO. You know, like a functioning UI, an auction house or search-able retainers, or even listening to consumers in Alpha and Beta.

I believe they had so many ideas but yet were, for some reason or another, forced to release the game early and didn't have enough time to not only implement everything but fix the small things too. Needless to say someone at Square dropped the ball.

I have faith though that they will come through in the end once everything is fixed or whatnot and it will turn out to be a good game. Though all the negative press going around the interwebs couldn't have been good for them.
#37 Oct 09 2010 at 1:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Stirrups wrote:
It's obvious they are more interested in their console customers than PC players which is why we have no drag and drop and are expected to buy a controller to get the best out of the game.
It's not that a controller works better with FFXIV, a keyboard works just as well. The problem is that the UI is so minimal and unintuitive that a controller is all you need (because that's what it was designed for, and unlike FFXI, they didn't bother to include functionality for keyboard users - an odd concept for a game only on PC right now).
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#38 Oct 09 2010 at 2:32 AM Rating: Excellent
**
829 posts
From the corporate board room at SE back in May:

Square Enix Fiscal Year Report

Page 3, record high profit for fiscal year 2010 (April 2009-March 2010)
Page 5, record high unit sales in all regions
Page 6, SE currently in 2nd growth stage
Page 7, key success factors for reaching 3rd growth stage, one being "becoming network centric"
Page 10, network centric described "online games, online sales, online business model"
Page 14, FFXIV big part of becoming network centric
Page 18, goal for unit sales during current fiscal year to be nearly as good as previous
Page 19, FFXIV only significant game release slated for this fiscal year

SE corporate needed FFXIV to come out this year in order to potentially meet their goal of reaching the 3rd growth stage. Delaying the PS3 version was the only way it was possible and Product Development Division 3 was obviously forced to cut many corners to even get the PC version ready to ship.

I bet that if the development team could apologize to us for the state of the game at launch they would but SE has an image to maintain. They won't admit mistakes or expose possible conflict within the company. FFXIV is a mess but all SE can do is pretend everything is fine and allow the development team to get to work on fixing the game.

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 4:37am by TauuOfSiren
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#39 Oct 09 2010 at 3:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
This game reminds me of a straight to dvd b movie.

The producer and director know they can create a crappy movie with $XXXX and release it on dvd which will sell approximately YYYY copies. As long as Y is greater than X, then it's a success. How bad people say the movie is is irrelevant. They know they'll sell enough copies to make a profit just based on consumers getting drawn in by the cover art.

Profit.

SE knows they'll sell a bunch once the PS3 version is released, so in the meantime they'll half *** it and suck the money of all the PC gamers who are tired of wow.

They probably never even were shooting at making this game some kind of big hit. Just shooting to make it make a little more $ than it cost to develop it. Sad.

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 5:35am by rotny
#40 Oct 09 2010 at 4:33 AM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:


Put simply, they spent too much **** time working on the graphical engine. They spent way too much time -- years -- working on Crystal Tools for this generation of games. It's still not that great, is horribly inefficient, but they wanted to use it so that they can do whatever the **** they want with it. They designed it for the PS2 platform and then scrapped it and started over once they realized that it wasn't worth time pursuing such a venture as the PS3 was around the corner. Now they're scrambling for time, time they don't have anymore, for FFXIV after the volatile reaction towards the content-less filled FFXIII and the sad launch status of the next entry.


http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/square-enix-crystal-tools-a-mistake--855.html

Even Square Enix now realizes that creating their own engine from scratch was a horrible mistake.

They should have licensed Unreal 3 or CryEngine and made the necessary modifications to make it do what they wanted. They could have started work on the games sooner and the games would have run much better than they do on SE's abomination of an engine. In the case of CryEngine, the games would have looked better too (CryEngine 3 pretty much blows Crystal Tools out of the water as far as rendering technology is concerned, and it's faster to boot)

Download the Last Remnant benchmark for PC and compare the FPS to FFXIV. That's how much faster FFXIV would have been on the Unreal 3 engine.

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 7:42am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#41 Oct 09 2010 at 4:37 AM Rating: Decent
32 posts
Hugus wrote:
Call me a Fan Boy or whateven but for the life of me I don't see whats so bad about this game.

Please keep in mind this is from a crafter's point of view as my highest fighting class in a Rank 4 GLA.

No AH I can live with, no search on Retainers is a bit more hard to swallow but I want to see what are the changes they are implemented next week.

The missing Skill Points in 2+ parties I understand even if I don't have first hand knowledge but from what I gather they solved it today.

What is so bad about this game today?


Fair enough.

Here's the good parts:

-Character Creation

-Cut scenes

-Overall graphics

-Switching jobs is easy

Now, the bad:

-How can you not have a freaking Auction House?!

-Once again, vague as all ****

-Actually starting the game/customer service is terrible

-Combat is a joke (press button whatever) and you either win or lose

-The fact they want the average 'gamer' to put a couple hundred bucks into their incomplete game is an insult. I can play Battlefront 2, SWG, City of Heroes, Left 4 dead 2, Final Fantasy 11 etc etc etc but of course not this without a **** of a lot of static lag.

Sure, some/all of this will have to be upgraded/replaced in time, but for this? Not happening!

-Finally (and especially if you're playing by yourself) it's just a boring game. I can log onto Final Fantasy 11 right now (not that it would be my top choice) and have more fun playing that.

Sure, guides/patches/updates/actual effort will fix a few of these problems, but man....I'm not rushing back.

If you're having fun, that's all that matters.


Edited, Oct 9th 2010 6:40am by Weeeeee711
#42 Oct 09 2010 at 5:04 AM Rating: Good
KacesofCaitsith wrote:


I would say that the experience to endgame as well as endgame are just as important... especially in a new mmo.


Absolutely. How do you expect to keep players long enough to experience the endgame otherwise?

If anything, I would expect them to work on starting content before working on endgame content. If that is the case, it's looking pretty bleak.
#43 Oct 09 2010 at 7:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
This game screams do-over, idk what project rapture was but it wasnt this. Maybe it was initially something along the lines of cataclysm but the ps2 made it impossible, there is no way this game took 5 years to create though. The reason it feels so rushed and incomplete is because it is, I think they started work 5 years ago on "something" and it was canned and they totally restarted, the amount of time needed to finish this game now made the money men anxious and it was thrown out in this trashy state. This is barely beta quality atm, this feels like maybe 2 years dev time.
____________________________
BANNED
#44 Oct 09 2010 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:


Put simply, they spent too much **** time working on the graphical engine. They spent way too much time -- years -- working on Crystal Tools for this generation of games. It's still not that great, is horribly inefficient, but they wanted to use it so that they can do whatever the **** they want with it. They designed it for the PS2 platform and then scrapped it and started over once they realized that it wasn't worth time pursuing such a venture as the PS3 was around the corner. Now they're scrambling for time, time they don't have anymore, for FFXIV after the volatile reaction towards the content-less filled FFXIII and the sad launch status of the next entry.


http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/square-enix-crystal-tools-a-mistake--855.html

Even Square Enix now realizes that creating their own engine from scratch was a horrible mistake.

They should have licensed Unreal 3 or CryEngine and made the necessary modifications to make it do what they wanted. They could have started work on the games sooner and the games would have run much better than they do on SE's abomination of an engine. In the case of CryEngine, the games would have looked better too (CryEngine 3 pretty much blows Crystal Tools out of the water as far as rendering technology is concerned, and it's faster to boot)

Download the Last Remnant benchmark for PC and compare the FPS to FFXIV. That's how much faster FFXIV would have been on the Unreal 3 engine.


Yar, I just noticed your post a few above mine. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. I remember they stated as such, but couldn't be ***** to find a link.

Thanks!

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 10:03am by StrijderVechter
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)