Seriously, let's all go and do it.
I can't agree on most of the reviewer's view because if they view FFXIV the same way as they are now, i am pretty sure FFXI is 100% going to get a 2/10.
I am at rage of those reviewers pointing out useless things.
1. No mean of travel? in FFXI, Chocobo are for level 20! Regional teleport starts @ level 10 and only if your region have the area + you did supply quest. Airship is for Rank 5 (which a level 20less have absolutely no chance getting it)
2. walking is tendentious ? Heck, they think chocobo have access every area in FFXI ? Walking is always tendentious every mmorpg. It is a bit longer to run at ffxiv but i have no problem with it. I like a vast world with lots of spaces over a small world crowded with players. Seriously, who doesn't remember their first run from Sandoria/windust/bastok to Jeuno @ level 20? It was HARDER. Not to mention, even WoW let you use mount around 30? (i forgot what level exactly).
3. Complex UI with no help? They obviously never played FFXI, does FFXI offer help to their player? Did FFXI ever have a tutorial instance teach you the basic? No, FFXI is the same.
4. Crafting without recipe? FFXI never ever even have any receipe listed in-game. Craftleve @least give you examples and recipe but FFXI is 100% rely on players to find them and communities. They obviously never played FFXI.
5. Bugs/lag? Let's just ignore that, since no game without its bugs at beginning.
6. a lot of re-use objects for the game world? Which game have different barrels or every tree is different? I never saw one.
7. It is a grind? Which game isn't a grind, you can play WoW and do 1000 of quest, but these quest all come down to "collect X", "Kill X", talk to npc X. repeating these quests are a grind as well. I always found doing quest are worse grind because most cases you are soloing. I rather party xp grind.
8. Story is break up into level? Seriously, FFXI was like this, no level 1 (only job) in FFXI have rank 5. rank 2 require level 10 to do (you need enough reputation), rank 2-3 dragon battle need players to be around level 25. Rank 4 running up the tower need @least 25+ and 50+ to kill miamia for the keys. Rank 5-1 need a group of level 50 to kill the bones, 50+ is require to kill Shadowloard. They must be idiots to even expect a level 1 can go ahead beat the final boss of the game.
9. Mail system? Did FFXI ever have a mail system? my 8 years in that game and i never have problem with not having a mail system. (there is an item transfer system on the other hand, but why is it even useful now?)
10. Linkshell need to be given @ close range. FFXI's Linkshell take an inv and cannot be sent as well, do we ever see people complaint about Linkshell in FFXI. When you invite players into your linkshell in FFXI, you have to make a copy of it and give it to the player, not only that it will take an inventory space forever.
11. No jump, no swim, and you can't drop down the edges in FFXIV? Was that a problem at all? I don't remember you can jump, swim or even drop down from most of the edges in FFXI, the game mechanic is mostly from FFXI, they expect to jump and swim?
I think the reviewers should be people who reviewed FFXI before review FFXIV, because i am pretty sure they would rate FFXI a lot more lower then FFXIV.
Most of the things can be related to FFXI in this game and FFXI is consider a successful MMORPG, I don't see why SE don't build what was success in FFXI in FFXIV.
Edited, Oct 9th 2010 2:44pm by wrongfeifong