Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Another I Quit ThreadFollow

#1 Oct 09 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
Yeah, I know, you're all sick of it. But I've been here for 6-7 years and I'm something of a veteran, ok? Indulge the old Tarutaru's warbling.

Anyway, I just cancelled my account. It took literally 30 seconds. It took me 30 minutes to sign up to the bloody thing. But I can cancel with 2 button clicks.

It's quicker and easier to cancel your account, than it is to equip a new hat.

Brilliant.

But why did I cancel? It's not because of the bugs. I can live with them. I know they'll be fixed. I know the Market Wards will be sorted. Partying will be fixed. The game will be playable. Blah blah blah UI crap etc. We all know that stuff.

But, *I* have two major issues with FFXIV:

1) Big Number Syndrome.
I hate games that have you pumping out big numbers at the start. It's just a random number generator... seriously, what's the difference between 200 and 250 a hit at level 1? At level 75 we'll be doing 20k a hit. Which is just stupid.

FFXI had this perfected. Scrapping around at the bottom levels for 1-2 damage a swing, but you could either pump out big numbers, or get hit for big numbers at the higher echelons. It just felt more real. Like you'd LEARNED. XIV just feels like it picks a number at random. There's no visible reasoning behind it.

Why ARE the numbers so high? I realised this annoyed me when I got, no joke, 1472 physical exp on my first ever mining leve quest. Seriously. 1472. For a copper ore. My jaw dropped. I have two issues with this:

- Where did I get the 2 from? And on that point, the 7? And also, the 4? In fact, what part of me hitting enter on a random part of a circle contributed to ANY of that?
- Why do I need to get 1472 exp at level 1?

It makes no sense. Smaller TNL works better. Huge TNL's just basically make the last 2 or 3 digits of your exp score irrelevant.

2) Immersion
Simply put, there isn't any.

- Aetheryte's are far, FAR too plentiful. In Ul'Dah, I had access to 4 Aetheryte crystals within a 5 minute run from the city exit.
- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.
- People don't talk. Ever. 300 people sitting round an aetheryte... someone says something in say or shout... not one person responds. Well, maybe they do in tell, but after trying it myself - I got a total of zero tells. Maybe it's because of the state of the Market Wards and partying... but this game is not being played as an MMO. People are playing it as a solo RPG.

That's pretty much it. They've broken the deal for me, sad to say. I'll keep an eye out on here and ask people who are still playing how it's going... maybe I'll come back. But for now... time to punch myself in the face for impulse buying something I knew wasn't great already.

Oh, and just so you know, their customer service is that bad that they don't even ask why you cancelled. You just get an email saying basically "thanks, ta ta for now. Sign up again if you want to".

How hard is it to provide a few tickboxes to get a bit of feedback? Then again... I guess it just means they don't want any?

For those of you who are enjoying the game, I hope you get years of fun from it. If it works for you, that's fine.

But if you're one of these people... could you please leave feedback as to WHY? Because nothing I've read or heard over the past few weeks has really provided an answer...

Have a nice day. May all your random number generators be high.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#2 Oct 09 2010 at 6:11 PM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#3 Oct 09 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
Quote:
How hard is it to provide a few tickboxes to get a bit of feedback?


Maybe that's why we see so many quitting threads, gotta tell someone, if SE doesn't want to listen!

Quote:
It's quicker and easier to cancel your account, than it is to equip a new hat.


That made me laugh. Although, I had to check back a couple times to be sure it really worked, and I wouldn't be surprised if they billed me anyway because of some bug ;)

____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#4 Oct 09 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...


I know... I couldn't believe it.

*click* Cancel Service
*click* FFXIV
(screen comes up, showing now unregistered)

*click* Bank Details
*click* delete stored card details
(screen comes up, showing deleted)

I almost expected to have to write a 12 page essay on basic economic principles in a market-run economy, and how the kinetic energy in my muscles could have contributed to a better gaming experience for other people on the server, before I was officially allowed to cancel my subscription.

But nope, it really IS that simple.

Finally, we find a part of the UI that works. And it's the last one we'll ever see.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#5 Oct 09 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I agree about the big number syndrome. It feels like you're making a lot of progress when you get 1,243 experience points, but it's just a false feeling when you need over 100,000 points to level.

It was such an accomplishing feeling in FFXI when you first hit a monster for 100 damage, and later for your first 1,000 damage, which usually didn't happen until closer to endgame. I don't like feeling like 1,000 damage means nothing in this game.
#6 Oct 09 2010 at 6:29 PM Rating: Excellent
**
317 posts
I keep playing because I don't have anything better to do. Half the time I am just sitting there afk while I browse the web or something.

If I am on the game I am probably killing something or exploring, however the world does not seem that big so I feel like I am running out of places, I have not been everywhere but I don't expect it to be too much longer before I reach the edges of the map.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#7 Oct 09 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
deathly809 wrote:
I keep playing because I don't have anything better to do. Half the time I am just sitting there afk while I browse the web or something.

If I am on the game I am probably killing something or exploring, however the world does not seem that big so I feel like I am running out of places, I have not been everywhere but I don't expect it to be too much longer before I reach the edges of the map.


So basically... am I right in thinking that you're playing because you paid for it and you feel you should?

I heard that each city had its giant starter zone, another smaller zone, and then there was a couple of smaller "end game" high level mob zones as well. I don't know if this is correct though.

Oh, and on a side note, is there a world map in game? I never found one - and because of it, quite frankly I didn't have a clue where I was. Which again, didn't help with the immersion aspect. But that could be me being stupid and not seeing the button.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#8 Oct 09 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Good
*
83 posts
First, I have to say that I just quit the game today too. I played FFXI for around 3 years when it came out and gave up when priorities in life changed. I just couldn't get into FFXIV as much as I wanted to. Perhaps it's real life stuff keeping me away from the game, or perhaps it's not as fun as 11 was. But I'm glad you mentioned Big Number Syndrome.

I call it, "HP inflation" because the first thing I noticed in the game, was my huge amounts of HP as a whatever the Taru race replacement was (not knowing the race name just goes to show you how hard it was for me to get into it). FFXIII had this as well. What happened to starting with a couple dozen HP and doing a few damage points a hit?

Whatever happened to starting off a game with nothing such that when you level, there is actually some gratification and feel of being stronger. Gaining hundreds of XP and skill points each kill? It's like being handed something without working for it. I don't get the point.

I quit too.
#9 Oct 09 2010 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
**
482 posts
Hit your "M" key, brings up the world map when you are outside of town. Use the "IJKL" to move the map around to see all of it. Hit "ESC" to get out of the map. Bringing up the map in town only brings up the map for that town.

All of the controls are both on the Lodestone website and in the booklet that comes with the game.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#10 Oct 09 2010 at 6:44 PM Rating: Excellent
**
317 posts
Likibiki wrote:
deathly809 wrote:
I keep playing because I don't have anything better to do. Half the time I am just sitting there afk while I browse the web or something.

If I am on the game I am probably killing something or exploring, however the world does not seem that big so I feel like I am running out of places, I have not been everywhere but I don't expect it to be too much longer before I reach the edges of the map.


So basically... am I right in thinking that you're playing because you paid for it and you feel you should?

I heard that each city had its giant starter zone, another smaller zone, and then there was a couple of smaller "end game" high level mob zones as well. I don't know if this is correct though.

Oh, and on a side note, is there a world map in game? I never found one - and because of it, quite frankly I didn't have a clue where I was. Which again, didn't help with the immersion aspect. But that could be me being stupid and not seeing the button.


Lol I enjoy it somewhat when I play, most of the time I am just talking to people or killing easy stuff. There is a map, hit m, and it only shows you where you have been and the exits out of it. Also the zone in Gridania <sp> sucks, it is just a giant maze of bs.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#11 Oct 09 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
klausneck wrote:
Hit your "M" key, brings up the world map when you are outside of town. Use the "IJKL" to move the map around to see all of it. Hit "ESC" to get out of the map. Bringing up the map in town only brings up the map for that town.

All of the controls are both on the Lodestone website and in the booklet that comes with the game.


I used the M key, 10 seconds later when the map finally loaded, it was a map of the region.

I saw that I could change regions (the 5 that are on the aetheryte teleport list), but it wouldn't do it. I assume this was because I'd never been to those regions, or it could be broken.

I didn't see an option for a world map.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#12 Oct 09 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Excellent
12 posts
As a 6 year veteran of FFXI myself I have to completely agree with the op.

Entering Vana'diel for the first time was an amazing experience. I wanted to log in and level just to explore the world. Stumbling across random nm's, the teleport spires, different mobs and stone monuments charting the history of the world was so immersive. Every location had mystery and a story to tell and travelling from one city to another felt like an epic journey. It also had a great sociable community. 

I find all this lacking in FFXIV and no amount of patches are going to make the world itself feel so immersive. Being able to visit all cities at level 1 and wear any level equipment really gives me no incentive to login and level my character. I've explored and there's no hidden surprises, just the same old thing. All of the atherite points just make Eorzea feel like a playground rather than an expansive world.  FFXI may have released with little content but at least they had a great foundation with the world and lore ready to go.

For these reasons I've also closed my account. I had reason to grind in FFXI, I wanted to see what was through the next zone and around the next corner even when it was lacking in content. Eorzea is just a (pretty) baron landscape with no soul.  

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 8:50pm by archangelus
#13 Oct 09 2010 at 7:07 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Hello I agree also with the post the lack of any one talking is a big killer for me how can i reapair all my gear if i can not get a reply from others or should it ry my luck in market ward and wait days weeks?

On top of having not many mobs in massive areas and major lag in citys I have also quit this game i wanted to like it
But now iIjust feel robbed I got the ce and now that money could have gone to something better :(

I wish all that stay with game to have fun and I hope SE fix this for you all
#14 Oct 09 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
Likibiki wrote:
Yeah, I know, you're all sick of it. But I've been here for 6-7 years and I'm something of a veteran, ok? Indulge the old Tarutaru's warbling.

Anyway, I just cancelled my account. It took literally 30 seconds. It took me 30 minutes to sign up to the bloody thing. But I can cancel with 2 button clicks.

It's quicker and easier to cancel your account, than it is to equip a new hat.

Brilliant.

But why did I cancel? It's not because of the bugs. I can live with them. I know they'll be fixed. I know the Market Wards will be sorted. Partying will be fixed. The game will be playable. Blah blah blah UI crap etc. We all know that stuff.

But, *I* have two major issues with FFXIV:

1) Big Number Syndrome.
I hate games that have you pumping out big numbers at the start. It's just a random number generator... seriously, what's the difference between 200 and 250 a hit at level 1? At level 75 we'll be doing 20k a hit. Which is just stupid.

FFXI had this perfected. Scrapping around at the bottom levels for 1-2 damage a swing, but you could either pump out big numbers, or get hit for big numbers at the higher echelons. It just felt more real. Like you'd LEARNED. XIV just feels like it picks a number at random. There's no visible reasoning behind it.

Why ARE the numbers so high? I realised this annoyed me when I got, no joke, 1472 physical exp on my first ever mining leve quest. Seriously. 1472. For a copper ore. My jaw dropped. I have two issues with this:

- Where did I get the 2 from? And on that point, the 7? And also, the 4? In fact, what part of me hitting enter on a random part of a circle contributed to ANY of that?
- Why do I need to get 1472 exp at level 1?

It makes no sense. Smaller TNL works better. Huge TNL's just basically make the last 2 or 3 digits of your exp score irrelevant.

2) Immersion
Simply put, there isn't any.

- Aetheryte's are far, FAR too plentiful. In Ul'Dah, I had access to 4 Aetheryte crystals within a 5 minute run from the city exit.
- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.
- People don't talk. Ever. 300 people sitting round an aetheryte... someone says something in say or shout... not one person responds. Well, maybe they do in tell, but after trying it myself - I got a total of zero tells. Maybe it's because of the state of the Market Wards and partying... but this game is not being played as an MMO. People are playing it as a solo RPG.

That's pretty much it. They've broken the deal for me, sad to say. I'll keep an eye out on here and ask people who are still playing how it's going... maybe I'll come back. But for now... time to punch myself in the face for impulse buying something I knew wasn't great already.

Oh, and just so you know, their customer service is that bad that they don't even ask why you cancelled. You just get an email saying basically "thanks, ta ta for now. Sign up again if you want to".

How hard is it to provide a few tickboxes to get a bit of feedback? Then again... I guess it just means they don't want any?

For those of you who are enjoying the game, I hope you get years of fun from it. If it works for you, that's fine.

But if you're one of these people... could you please leave feedback as to WHY? Because nothing I've read or heard over the past few weeks has really provided an answer...

Have a nice day. May all your random number generators be high.



I COMPLETELY agree with you. I played final fantasy 11 for 4 years and LOVED it! The party system was perfect, and didn't it feel like you were actually in the game? like your character was actually you? There was no room for error and everyone chatted and talked. It was easy to make friends and everyone was in the same state of mind "This game is amazing and I can't wait to meet new people to party with, farm with, go find rare nm's, or do some cool main quests!

I haven't got ffxiv.. I was going to wait for the ps3 release, but it really depresses me what I am reading about this game. ffxi made wow look like a little kids game.. thats how good and challenging it was. It was "mature" but fun. I also loved how synthing took a long time to level, along with weapon skills.
#15 Oct 09 2010 at 7:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
22 posts
3 friends and myself canceled the account a few days ago, now we are playing Lord of The Rings, it's free and we are actually starting to have fun, we were talking about getting the VIP accounts, instead of giving our hard earned money to a company that doesn't care about the community to a company that does.

After many many years of FFXI, several level 75 jobs, missions and quests finished, we were coming to FFXIV with the hope of finding a great game as FFXI was, big big disappointment, we will keep an eye on the upcoming months to see if SE fixes all the issues the game has, in the mean time, Middle Earth here we come!!!
____________________________
***********************************************
Get your ads here :D
***********************************************
#16 Oct 09 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
I cancelled my account too. I didn't play all this week, seriously no desire.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17 Oct 09 2010 at 7:52 PM Rating: Decent
Likibiki wrote:
But if you're one of these people... could you please leave feedback as to WHY? Because nothing I've read or heard over the past few weeks has really provided an answer...

I don't think that my answer will give you a reason to change your mind. I think I just have a different opinion/personality/prior experience than you.

I see your point now with the big number syndrome, but I didn't notice it before. I guess the numbers you're talking about don't really matter to me, though I can see your point as a valid one. I'm honestly just enjoying doing the leves and running around killing stuff, pausing to do some crafting, then killing some more stuff . . . as long as I am advancing my character I'm not really paying attention to every number.

And, again I think just because of a difference in perspective, I disagree about the immersion. To me, there are aspects of FFXIV that are much more realistic than FFXI has. Although I am sometimes annoyed with it, the gear wear system adds realism to me, for example. The way instances are done is a HUGE improvement over CS's in FFXI to me. I have seen people interact with others in the game. On the other hand, I see a lot of people shouting asking questions that are readily available in the manual and then shouting about the game being stupid because no one is answering them. I at least get tempted to hide shouts after seeing enough of these.

On that same point, I don't know how many others may be doing the same as I, but I started the game as part of a social LS. It's a carryover of some people from an LS in FFXI. We're collaborating on crafts, helping each other out, etc. I still try to help people out when I see someone say/shout something that I feel I can help with. Many times, though, someone is asking a question I don't know the answer to either, or they're asking for help on a levequest when I'm already on one.

People do definitely need to learn how to look things up for themselves, though. I keep answering people's questions after looking them up here, then pointing people to this site by saying I found the answer here, hoping the word will get around eventually.

I will say that I have respect for your reasons though. I see too many people posting and/or shouting about quitting because, basically, the game is too hard. Your reasons at least are respectable. I just see things differently.

Take care, and I do hope you change your mind at some point.

____________________________
FFXIV: Luthien Tinuviel, Elezen Female, Balmug (And will re-roll on a new server in August)
FFXI: Luthian, Elvaan Female, Bismarck (originally Luthien on Seraph):
85RDM | 80WAR | 76DRG
lolgaxe+1 wrote:
I've always been of the opinion that Warrior was the Swiss Army Knife of Vana'diel.
#18 Oct 09 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
213 posts
I quit as well, i loved FFXI like a second mother, but this game is just not for me.
#19 Oct 09 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
696 posts
All I heard was SE is going to fix the issues so now I have to reach to find a new problem that doesn't matter to obsess over
#20 Oct 09 2010 at 8:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
656 posts
First of all, I'm still playing, and YES IM COMPLAINING. but don't flame at me.
I personally invested 1k on the new pc to play this game, so I won't quit that easy yet, as I like to put a couple hours of my time on week nights in a game to relief my stress from work.

the big numbers does kill off the game, not just the skill or expreience points, but also the Gil.
I remember my friends and I had to farm and gather up our gil to buy World Pass and Linkshell in FFXI
but now, at Rank 6 or so, I'm doing Rank 10 leves and Im getting thousands of Gil which added up to like 50k, 100k easily. and because of the easy access to gil, I don't care about putting 5k to just repair my gloves or splashing out 20k to buy some armor at low level.

and I hate this "Optimal Rank" thing on equipments, it kills the uniqueness and proud or bragging rights of being high levels/ranks. I'm sure many of you would agree, saving up and buying the equipments levels ahead before you can equip it... *DING***LEVEL 11** woooooohooo I can finally wear my Scale Mail set!! and then someone at like level 25 with a Chain Mail set runs by and you are drooling all over it and wish you can wear them someday.

It makes no sense for you to be able to wear a Rank 23 dodoskin harness when You are only a Rank 2 Gladiator, which is not optimal for your class and rank. I personally think SE should allow other class to equip it, but "Optimal" for certain clsses. but if you don't have to reach that rank to equip it, it completely kills the accomplishment feeling BIG TIME! it's like anyone with the gil could buy and wear it, I didnt bother to buy a low rank equipment because of that, since I can wear anything I want as long as I have the gil, it's too complicate to look at the stats and how the equipment will affect it anyway.

something I hope SE will change is... put NM back in open world, and also put more mobs in the area.
The map is huge and open, but I m having trouble to find the red dots on the map. the only time u see large amount of mobs is more than 1 person/group doing the same leve, and you might see like 20 naked moles in that corner.
and i love open world NM, not because I want to spend 24hours to camp it for the loots, but it just make me feel im "Adventuring" as an "Adventurer" running in different areas and see this mob with a totally different name or color than the other mobs around him. As someone above mentioned, I don't feel any danger at all running around 3 countries as a Rank 1. compare to FFXI, I remember I already got aggroed in North Gustaberg as level 7 when I was running to Highland and Dunes. and it's funny SE said in previous interview, the 3 city-states are so far apart... I actually feel like it's a longer run from nation to nation in FFXI.

enough ranting, sorry for the wall of text. I will still give this game some time and play this for awhile.
and HOPEFULLY, it will gets better.
____________________________
モスタル


#21Ap0stle, Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 8:17 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Dont know what Illiterate monkeys are attempting to register this game but it took me a matter of 3-4min to register type in my codes put in my Monlty subscription infomation and begin the patcher to DL when I first got the game on the 22nd. Dont take your anger out on these forums because you thought it would be cool to drop out of highschool and skateboard with your friends instead of learning how to operate a computer or comprehend simple directions.
#22 Oct 09 2010 at 8:21 PM Rating: Excellent
**
317 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...



Dont know what Illiterate monkeys are attempting to register this game but it took me a matter of 3-4min to register type in my codes put in my Monlty subscription infomation and begin the patcher to DL when I first got the game on the 22nd. Dont take your anger out on these forums because you thought it would be cool to drop out of highschool and skateboard with your friends instead of learning how to operate a computer or comprehend simple directions.


This is the most offensive thing I have ever seen. You should be ashamed of yourself.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#23 Oct 09 2010 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...



Dont know what Illiterate monkeys are attempting to register this game but it took me a matter of 3-4min to register type in my codes put in my Monlty subscription infomation and begin the patcher to DL when I first got the game on the 22nd. Dont take your anger out on these forums because you thought it would be cool to drop out of highschool and skateboard with your friends instead of learning how to operate a computer or comprehend simple directions.



well,to start theres a well known issue with "click and buy" that it isn't accepting certain Postal Codes.Theres something like a thousand Postal Codes in NA and EU that it doesn't believe exist.So you then have to go to the Crysta method.
#24Ap0stle, Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 8:22 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Hey the truth hurts.
#25 Oct 09 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
317 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
deathly809 wrote:
Ap0stle wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...



Dont know what Illiterate monkeys are attempting to register this game but it took me a matter of 3-4min to register type in my codes put in my Monlty subscription infomation and begin the patcher to DL when I first got the game on the 22nd. Dont take your anger out on these forums because you thought it would be cool to drop out of highschool and skateboard with your friends instead of learning how to operate a computer or comprehend simple directions.


This is the most offensive thing I have ever seen. You should be ashamed of yourself.


Hey the truth hurts.


You are a sad person, calling people who you don't agree with and might not have the entire facts dropouts from high school. Then you go on to pretty much affirm your belief after pointing it out. You have no clue about the people you are talking to and the type of rhetoric you are spewing makes me sick.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#26 Oct 09 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Excellent
**
711 posts
Likibiki wrote:

- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.


This is the biggest grip I have about the game now :(
____________________________
春天不是讀書天,
夏日炎炎正好眠,
等到秋來冬又至,
收拾書包好過年。

#27 Oct 09 2010 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
Likibiki wrote:
People are playing it as a solo RPG.


I think SE should create a offline gameplay feature.
____________________________
One day maybe:
ShaolinGate.com
#28 Oct 10 2010 at 2:49 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,043 posts
Well, after sleeping on it, it HAS made me realise one thing.

It's made me realise just how good of a game FFXI is.

I think I might go back... I have an account with a 30ish RDM and 30ish DNC. For some reason, after playing this pile of garbage, I'm itching to pick it up again...
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#29 Oct 10 2010 at 3:27 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
1. The big number thing sounds like a lame argument to me. Whether it's small numbers or large it was still roughly similar leveling 1-10 or more time-wise. More so if you got in after FoV in XI with boosts similar to guildleves. Not with you on that 1 being a big deal. Especially not a reason to quit.

2. I think you explained some of that in your intro, being here 6-7 years. Nothing SE could've done would give us that same feeling we got from XI. Many people playing are serious mmo players and are jaded anyway. So much of that isn't the game's fault, but that people are numb to the fact that it's pretty **** cool just to be playing final fantasy online. People mainly whine instead of enjoying it. I think it's great to think that I'm playing final fantasy as an mmo while thinking back to the original on NES and seeing how far we've come. I do agree that it's lacking in some of the "it" factors that XI had, but I also think some of that is from being spoiled with XI. I wonder how differently I'd view XIV had I not played XI. Anyway, that's my take on that part of it. And obviously it doesn't discuss the other issues that make gameplay really annoying sometimes.

Reasons I keep playing:
I love the story quests
Joining guilds & doing those quests are pretty interesting too
I like the battle system...it's more entertaining to me than XI
I really enjoy crafting & gathering too. I didn't expect to enjoy them this much.
The people in my LS. Similar to XI, it seems working together in spite of SEs mistakes builds a stronger community(Unfortunately you're right that some of the community isn't on board there. Without my LS I might feel the same as you. Though people are in for a big surprise if they continue to just play solo in those higher levels & they see the experience needed tnl.)

Edited, Oct 10th 2010 5:28am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#30 Oct 10 2010 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
I like the battle system...it's more entertaining to me than XI
Not being able to change gear in combat makes the system incredibly dull in comparison, for me.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#31 Oct 10 2010 at 4:06 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,153 posts
bsphil wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
I like the battle system...it's more entertaining to me than XI
Not being able to change gear in combat makes the system incredibly dull in comparison, for me.

This is what I did NOT like about FFXI. It seems really stupid to have to carry around nearly 70 pieces of gear when I'll spend roughly 5% of my time in group wearing most of it. Also, think of how stupid it would look to see first hand. Think of how stupid it would look to strip down to your undies, put on a new set of clothes for a swing and then put back on what you were wearing before. I much rather see the assignable stats covering what you would normally swap gear for than roll with a full bag.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#32 Oct 10 2010 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,564 posts
Likibiki wrote:
I hate games that have you pumping out big numbers at the start. It's just a random number generator... seriously, what's the difference between 200 and 250 a hit at level 1? At level 75 we'll be doing 20k a hit. Which is just stupid.

FFXI had this perfected. Scrapping around at the bottom levels for 1-2 damage a swing, but you could either pump out big numbers, or get hit for big numbers at the higher echelons. It just felt more real. Like you'd LEARNED. XIV just feels like it picks a number at random. There's no visible reasoning behind it.


I don't see what the problem is. You're trying too hard to compare their [vastly] different combat systems. Sure in XIV you have more HP and do more damage at the start, but so do the mobs. You don't just poke and kill something in one shot until you get a few levels/ranks under your belt first, which is no different than what it was like in XI. Numbers were entirely random with no "visible reasoning" in XI too until we finally learned the formulas for damage and whatnot. And for the majority of the player base they're still plain ol' vanilla random. How the numbers got there don't matter to them as long as the target dies before they do.

That's partially why I don't understand this point. As long as it's balanced it shouldn't matter what arbitrary numbers you see on the screen.

Quote:
- Aetheryte's are far, FAR too plentiful. In Ul'Dah, I had access to 4 Aetheryte crystals within a 5 minute run from the city exit.


Since the zones are so big I would think a large number of crystals would be a good thing since they function like home points. It would suck to die on one side of the zone during a leve and have to Return clear across to the other side instead of the general area. It makes traversing the massive zones easier too since it allows you to teleport to more specific spots instead of having one set area that's miles away from everything like the Crags and Outposts in XI. The zones being big isn't enough to provide immersion, but neither is being forced to trek across them the long way every single time you pass through.

Quote:
- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.


I agree with you here. The zones are big for the sake of being big. There's no substance, just a massive empty space primarily full of mobs that hit you hard enough to kill you three times over. It might change when there's more content and more of a reason to be out deep in the zone, but right now 90% of each area feels like a giant waste.

Quote:
- People don't talk. Ever. 300 people sitting round an aetheryte... someone says something in say or shout... not one person responds. Well, maybe they do in tell, but after trying it myself - I got a total of zero tells. Maybe it's because of the state of the Market Wards and partying... but this game is not being played as an MMO. People are playing it as a solo RPG.


Unless I managed to miss something during the five years I played it, people weren't particularly vocal in XI either. The most you saw were people shouting for some kind of party, event, or selling/buying things. Outside of that most people did exactly what they're probably doing now: talking to their linkshell. Besides, the chat system is so wonky it's not usually worth trying to say anything while performing any activity that doesn't involve sitting still. And most people who are sitting still are AFK, otherwise they're busy crafting faster than Chinese toddlers.


I don't completely disagree with all of your points, but most of it (and not just you, this goes for a lot of the other "I'm quitting" posts), sounds like shallow justification to me. You don't have to like the game (I personally find myself yelling at it more often than not), but at the very least think of solid reasons to hate it instead of making a post full of straw-grasping.
____________________________
FFXI (Retired)
Naiya | Mithra | Windurst | Rank 10 | 1st Lieutenant | Ragnarok
WAR: 75 MNK: 75 SAM: 66
RotZ: O | CoP: O | ToAU: O | Apoch Nigh: O

WoW
Naiyah | B.Elf | 85 Rogue | Stormscale
Doubleday | B.Elf | 85 Paladin | Stormscale


#33 Oct 10 2010 at 5:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
898 posts
I am with you man, I am not gonna renew my subscription. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make friends on the game, and the friends I came with have all but quit.. they get on and I ask them if they wanna go grind and then they log....
I want so bad to level up but playing alone really sucks, I ask for partners, I ask for parties, I ask to share levequests and get NO response...

The worst part is I planned to wait till the PS3 release, but my friends talked me into it so I upgraded my computer (spent like 500) just to play alone..
#34 Oct 10 2010 at 5:25 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
I hate games that have you pumping out big numbers at the start. It's just a random number generator... seriously, what's the difference between 200 and 250 a hit at level 1? At level 75 we'll be doing 20k a hit. Which is just stupid.
I'm with the above poster when I say, what's the difference as long as the balance remains? Personally, I rather like seeing large numbers when I hit something. It's more reminiscent of traditional Final Fantasy games where you could pull off 9999 hits (or even higher in FFX). The actual figures you see matter little compared to the respective HP of the enemy. If all remains balanced, then it's only a cosmetic difference.

Quote:
- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.
I can only assume you're not much of an MMO player. Yes, the areas are large and expansive -- That's a good thing, believe it or not. Large areas means less tripping over other players for camping spots and the like. It also means more places to explore, more areas to harvest from and more enemies to fill it with!

Quote:
Aetheryte's are far, FAR too plentiful. In Ul'Dah, I had access to 4 Aetheryte crystals within a 5 minute run from the city exit.
This to me, again, I consider to be a bonus. It's a far more casual game as a result of the larger quantity of Aetherytes. You don't have to be sat at your computer for twelve hours to get anywhere, you can do a little crafting or a few guildleves and get significant returns on them. Aetherytes restore your MP, a resource that was all too lacking in Final Fantasy XI I daresay, and allow you access to new guildleve quests. Therefore, more Aetherytes mean more quests and more things to do without slowing down to recover!

Quote:
People don't talk. Ever. 300 people sitting round an aetheryte... someone says something in say or shout... not one person responds. Well, maybe they do in tell, but after trying it myself - I got a total of zero tells. Maybe it's because of the state of the Market Wards and partying... but this game is not being played as an MMO. People are playing it as a solo RPG.
Okay, I'll grant you this one. The game is a little bit quiet for my tastes. But if you're not happy with it being so quiet, start talking! It really is as simple as that. Strike up a conversation with someone you've never seen before! Who knows where it might lead? How else would you make friends in any other MMO unless you say something as well?

There are far greater concerns than the ones you mentioned, and those would at least be better reasons for leaving the game. But im confident those minor issues will be addressed. In the meantime, I have some trees that require my botany talents.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#35 Oct 10 2010 at 5:43 AM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
I am sorry, you are not enjoying the game, but from your gripes, I will assume in about 6-8 months, you will try the game again.

The areas at the moment, are very quiet and barren, but that means there is tons of room for stuff to be added.

There are numerous random caves that are currently closed off, and tons of just random nice little spots with no mobs, that you just know are going to be something in the future.

I am pretty sure those stone plates, and a few other things were not there in FFXI when it originally released (remember, game was 1.5 years old when it released in NA).

The big number syndrome is in full effect throughout the game. It all scales pretty equally though, even the money is worth alot less in this game, so as long as it all balances out, I couldnt really care if the numbers are simply higher. They have gone back and forth with high/low numbers in all of the FF's. Some your top hp would be 2000, and some you could easily hit 9999, so its all relative as long as it is balanced I think.

I honeslty thing they did the gathering/crafting xp this way, simply to get people to not just be a fighter. If you are just a fighter, your xp takes alot longer to level up, and therefore, you arnt as strong.

Anyways, so far I have been playing every day, and like every other FF out there, have been greatly enjoying the game, and am eagerly waiting to get to the next level so I can get to more of the amazing story that appears to be unfolding.

As for the optimal gear, and being able to equip it, is simply because of the job change system. It would really suck if you had to change gear just because you wanted to harvest something, or craft more arrows etc. This allows you the freedom of changing on the fly (unlike FFXI), and of course there is going to be a downside to it as well.

Edited, Oct 10th 2010 7:47am by SharkOutofWater
#36 Oct 10 2010 at 5:54 AM Rating: Decent
Yea, things do get pretty quiet, but I think it's mostly due to people in linkshells. Since the chat box is so relatively small it's too incredibly easy to miss what someone may be saying. It doesn't help you can't change the colors either. I have to actually filter another LS I joined because of the constant chatter I couldn't see anything else. I can agree with how empty many of the fields seem, I recall looking at one spot in Ul'dah with several giant caves that went underground near the second camp (I forget its name.) and wanted to explore it. Unfortunately there's just an NPC that more or less tells you to **** off and won't let you pass. Other than that the area's completely empty save for a single cave in the wall with some Cactuar.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#37 Oct 10 2010 at 6:02 AM Rating: Excellent
13 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
It's hilarious that it takes like 30 minutes to register but about 3 seconds to cancel...



Dont know what Illiterate monkeys are attempting to register this game but it took me a matter of 3-4min to register type in my codes put in my Monlty subscription infomation and begin the patcher to DL when I first got the game on the 22nd. Dont take your anger out on these forums because you thought it would be cool to drop out of highschool and skateboard with your friends instead of learning how to operate a computer or comprehend simple directions.


the same Illiterate monkeys that cant spell monthly or information
#38 Oct 10 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
Several 75 also... But I still remember very well (I have 2 accounts) Dying and dying at LaTheine. Spending looots of hours till Valkurm Dunes just to get a subjob and... Needing to start again.

I can not compare a mature FFXI with a first 6 months FFXIV. It's unfair.

Said that, mixed feelings here. I agree with most of comments about game. Even lack-of-inmersion. But I don't really know if they are due to 4 years playing at Vana'diel.

FFXI was something so real and special to me that I'm trying not to make comparisons. My life just doesn't permits me to play FFXI as before. I'll give FFXIV a chance.

See you online ^_^


FFXIV: Hofzinser Raiseplz @Rabanastre server
FFXI: Lujuria @Alexander server
____________________________


#40 Oct 11 2010 at 6:42 AM Rating: Good
**
510 posts
Thanks Liki, I will always like this game a little bit less thanks to you. I will learn to love large numbers, and wait around until a community has time to set some r0ots.
Then again, with the recent required PC upgrade I can play any game on the market. Is Megaman XXVIII out? I missed the last 27 installments.
____________________________
"Wow, a KISS... That's like, the best thing a girl can blow!"
#41 Oct 11 2010 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Thank you, I have a new sig ^.^
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#42 Oct 11 2010 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Point #2 I can understand, and relate to as a valid reason for leaving.

Point #1, give me a break. Quitting over the random number generator? Really? I could understand if you'd phrased it in light of the skill point gains issue, but that's not the case you stated. Personally, it sounds like you had multiple other reasons behind your post, but wanted to put up something 'original'.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)