Yeah, I know, you're all sick of it. But I've been here for 6-7 years and I'm something of a veteran, ok? Indulge the old Tarutaru's warbling.
Anyway, I just cancelled my account. It took literally 30 seconds. It took me 30 minutes to sign up to the bloody thing. But I can cancel with 2 button clicks.
It's quicker and easier to cancel your account, than it is to equip a new hat.
But why did I cancel? It's not because of the bugs. I can live with them. I know they'll be fixed. I know the Market Wards will be sorted. Partying will be fixed. The game will be playable. Blah blah blah UI crap etc. We all know that stuff.
But, *I* have two major issues with FFXIV:
1) Big Number Syndrome.
I hate games that have you pumping out big numbers at the start. It's just a random number generator... seriously, what's the difference between 200 and 250 a hit at level 1? At level 75 we'll be doing 20k a hit. Which is just stupid.
FFXI had this perfected. Scrapping around at the bottom levels for 1-2 damage a swing, but you could either pump out big numbers, or get hit for big numbers at the higher echelons. It just felt more real. Like you'd LEARNED. XIV just feels like it picks a number at random. There's no visible reasoning behind it.
Why ARE the numbers so high? I realised this annoyed me when I got, no joke, 1472 physical exp on my first ever mining leve quest. Seriously. 1472. For a copper ore. My jaw dropped. I have two issues with this:
- Where did I get the 2 from? And on that point, the 7? And also, the 4? In fact, what part of me hitting enter on a random part of a circle contributed to ANY of that?
- Why do I need to get 1472 exp at level 1?
It makes no sense. Smaller TNL works better. Huge TNL's just basically make the last 2 or 3 digits of your exp score irrelevant.
Simply put, there isn't any.
- Aetheryte's are far, FAR too plentiful. In Ul'Dah, I had access to 4 Aetheryte crystals within a 5 minute run from the city exit.
- The zones are mind numbingly boring. Probably because they're so large. I tried exploring but after running around for 30 minutes, I was bored. Everything was the same. It shouldn't be like that. I don't know how they can fix it now, but it needs fixing. It's pretty... but it's not interesting.
- People don't talk. Ever. 300 people sitting round an aetheryte... someone says something in say or shout... not one person responds. Well, maybe they do in tell, but after trying it myself - I got a total of zero tells. Maybe it's because of the state of the Market Wards and partying... but this game is not being played as an MMO. People are playing it as a solo RPG.
That's pretty much it. They've broken the deal for me, sad to say. I'll keep an eye out on here and ask people who are still playing how it's going... maybe I'll come back. But for now... time to punch myself in the face for impulse buying something I knew wasn't great already.
Oh, and just so you know, their customer service is that bad that they don't even ask why you cancelled. You just get an email saying basically "thanks, ta ta for now. Sign up again if you want to".
How hard is it to provide a few tickboxes to get a bit of feedback? Then again... I guess it just means they don't want any?
For those of you who are enjoying the game, I hope you get years of fun from it. If it works for you, that's fine.
But if you're one of these people... could you please leave feedback as to WHY? Because nothing I've read or heard over the past few weeks has really provided an answer...
Have a nice day. May all your random number generators be high.