Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Well there is one thing we should agree on in FFXIVFollow

#1 Oct 09 2010 at 10:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
That the theme song is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbuto9wfEHE

Seriously, 1:00 and on wards and the last minute gave my goosebumps. Half posting in case some people haven't heard it. I might be super late and everyone has heard it, which case I apoligize but for those that haven't, it's really good.
#2 Oct 09 2010 at 10:46 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
amazing song!
#3 Oct 09 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
119 posts
Seriously, a lot of people give me crap for saying that Nobuo is one of the greatest composers EVER, simply because he's a composer of video game music, as if that makes such a difference.
But when he composes things like this... There's just hardly an argument to be made.
____________________________
FFXIV: Laurana Drakoid | Lancer | Alchemist | Rabanastre
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=4245640
#4 Oct 09 2010 at 11:50 PM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
ArkWeldwin wrote:
Seriously, a lot of people give me crap for saying that Nobuo is one of the greatest composers EVER, simply because he's a composer of video game music, as if that makes such a difference.
But when he composes things like this... There's just hardly an argument to be made.


Well I suppose if you compare him to every composer ever you're also putting him up against people like Beethoven, Bach, and Tchaikovsky and yeah... they win.

In the realm of video game composers though, he is in a league of his own and is an amazingly talented individual.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 Oct 09 2010 at 11:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
472 posts
I watched and listened to the song posted. My only retort is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hctZHMzT9O4
#6 Oct 10 2010 at 12:14 AM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
Uematsu is good, but he's not consistent in the quality of his songs. Some can be "meh," then he'll make a song that's great, too much of a variance for me.

For that, I can't say that he's the best video game composer out there. I think the "peak" of the quality of songs he made was at FFVII-- that's the most memorable uematsu soundtrack for me, and one of the best of VG soundtracks I've heard. Lost Odyssey had some great tracks, too...especially the ones played during the "dreams".

(shameless plug for Yasunori Mitsuda)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITRZK8z0ek


Edited, Oct 10th 2010 2:24am by ghosthacked
#7 Oct 10 2010 at 1:40 AM Rating: Good
*
108 posts
Sorry, I don't agree. In fact, I hate basically everything about the main theme. It somehow manages to both annoy and bore me at the same time. What's really sad is the rest of the soundtrack is actually pretty good.

Just to fish for more ratedowns, I think the best 3D era FF soundtrack is FFVIII's. Except Balamb. Ew.

Edit: I'ma let you finish Uematsu, but Chrono Cross had one of the best soundtracks of all time, of all time!

Edited, Oct 10th 2010 3:43am by DragoonRising
#8 Oct 10 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
***
1,049 posts
Uematsu is not a master of everything, but where he shines, especially in regards to soundtracks, is the great variety of styles he can compose in. Yet you can still listen to his music and say, "That's Uematsu." Mitsuda is really in the same class as Uematsu, in terms of skill as a composer; he just doesn't compose nearly as much. Even now, I can only name a handful of products that Mitsuda did.

Uematsu has variety. You can like or hate some of his stuff just as you can like or hate different styles of music. And, even now, he keeps composing things that sound new and interesting.
Archmage Callinon wrote:

Well I suppose if you compare him to every composer ever you're also putting him up against people like Beethoven, Bach, and Tchaikovsky and yeah... they win.

In the realm of video game composers though, he is in a league of his own and is an amazingly talented individual.

I disagree on the inherent separation of older composers and newer. In each case, they wrote for their generation, and while the 1700s and 1800s where about long compositions for the upper class to enjoy in concert halls surrounded by friends and family, music of today is an inherently singular experience for the majority of people. Uematsu has such a wide amount of this "singular" music that almost anyone can find something to love. Not that they ever had a chance, but composers such as the ones you listed would never have dared to combine a wood flute and electric guitar into the same song, lest they alienate half of their audience. They were masters of what they did, as Uematsu is a master of experimentation and variety.

Well, my 2c anyways.
#9 Oct 10 2010 at 9:02 AM Rating: Default
*
182 posts
The song is really nice. I really like it!
Now lets subscribe the game at least 6 months. comeon! :D
#10 Oct 10 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
DragoonRising wrote:
Sorry, I don't agree. In fact, I hate basically everything about the main theme. It somehow manages to both annoy and bore me at the same time. What's really sad is the rest of the soundtrack is actually pretty good.

Just to fish for more ratedowns, I think the best 3D era FF soundtrack is FFVIII's. Except Balamb. Ew.

Edit: I'ma let you finish Uematsu, but Chrono Cross had one of the best soundtracks of all time, of all time!
I've yet to find a song from the game that I do like, it's just not doing it for me. I actually liked the benchmark version of Limsa's opening CS better than the in-game one with the "walk free" junk played in the background. Seems incredibly unfitting for the scenario. It's a giant water serpent with no feet, and the people on the ship can barely stand, let alone "walk free". A lot of people apparently love it, but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Really not a fan of Uematsu's synth style. Masashi Hamauzu did that style better in FF13, and Hitoshi Sakimoto did a better FF soundtrack overall in FF12. Sakimoto's style probably wouldn't work in an MMO though. You really don't want to make the music stick out too much or it'll get repetitive.

Edited, Oct 10th 2010 1:20pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#11 Oct 10 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
34 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
ArkWeldwin wrote:
Seriously, a lot of people give me crap for saying that Nobuo is one of the greatest composers EVER, simply because he's a composer of video game music, as if that makes such a difference.
But when he composes things like this... There's just hardly an argument to be made.


Well I suppose if you compare him to every composer ever you're also putting him up against people like Beethoven, Bach, and Tchaikovsky and yeah... they win.

In the realm of video game composers though, he is in a league of his own and is an amazingly talented individual.


You see I don't agree. Music is music, regardless of the context (think thats the word I'm looking for). Or have I interpreted your view incorrectly?
#12 Oct 10 2010 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,535 posts
BlackRagnarok wrote:
I disagree on the inherent separation of older composers and newer. In each case, they wrote for their generation, and while the 1700s and 1800s where about long compositions for the upper class to enjoy in concert halls surrounded by friends and family, music of today is an inherently singular experience for the majority of people. Uematsu has such a wide amount of this "singular" music that almost anyone can find something to love. Not that they ever had a chance, but composers such as the ones you listed would never have dared to combine a wood flute and electric guitar into the same song, lest they alienate half of their audience. They were masters of what they did, as Uematsu is a master of experimentation and variety.


This is so laughably wrong-headed, there are no words to describe...

Quote:
I disagree on the inherent separation of older composers and newer. In each case, they wrote for their generation, and while the 1700s and 1800s where about long compositions


Mostly wrong. Most Bach music clocks in at a few minutes in length, most of his longer works are collections of short pieces (in many cases, collections of dance music), and the few that aren't are generally religious pieces intended for the observation of holy days.

Beethoven's longest works are his symphonies - which are generally 20 to 30 minutes long, and composed of 4 or 5 musically distinct movements clocking in between 2 and 7 minutes in length - and his opera, which doesn't really count.

Tchaikovsky's works are generally longer - as are many Romantic-era composers' - but even then, his symphonies run about 30-40 minutes in total, and he wrote several operas and ballets, which again, don't count, because music is just one component - it's like saying John Williams writes long compositions because Star Wars runs 121 minutes.

Quote:
for the upper class to enjoy in concert halls surrounded by friends and family,


Wrong. A more correct way would be "for the middle class to enjoy in concert halls surrounded by friends, family, and complete strangers - except for those pieces meant to be enjoyed by a small group of friends in private, those pieces meant to be heard in church, and those pieces meant to be performed in public as part of a major celebration."

Quote:
Not that they ever had a chance, but composers such as the ones you listed would never have dared to combine a wood flute and electric guitar into the same song


Except that they probably would have.

In Bach's day, there was no such standardized instrumental arrangement - all his works are written for whatever instruments he **** well pleased.

The "standard symphonic instrumentation" is derived from what Beethoven used in his symphonies. He is also the man who used a full chorus in his ninth symphony. And who wrote many pieces specifically for the piano, which was for all intents and purposes the electric guitar of his day.

As far as Tchaikovsky, suffice it to say that this is the man who wrote a cannon into one of his pieces.

Quote:
They were masters of what they did, as Uematsu is a master of experimentation and variety.


No. Just, no.

Uematsu is not a "master" of anything, especially not experimentation (he's no Hirokazu Tanaka or Shogo Sakai, let alone a Phillip Glass, John Cage, or Frank Zappa) or variety (where he doesn't hold a candle to Yuzo Koshiro or Yoko Shimomura).

Competent, definitely. Good, yes. Master? No.
#13 Oct 10 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Default
*
152 posts
Wow, SE must realize they're in trouble when people can only agree on the music being good. (graphics are being bashed by some for being to much of a cut and paste job)

Not to bash but does it not raise eyebrows http://forladiesbyladies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/431017756_646627f1aa.jpg that people are reaching for anything they can find that is positive about this game. :(

Makes me sad because I want this to be the best game ever. Not looking good so far.





Edited, Oct 10th 2010 2:41pm by Brushy
#14 Oct 10 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
bsphil wrote:
Really not a fan of Uematsu's synth style. Masashi Hamauzu did that style better in FF13, and Hitoshi Sakimoto did a better FF soundtrack overall in FF12. Sakimoto's style probably wouldn't work in an MMO though. You really don't want to make the music stick out too much or it'll get repetitive.


If by doing that style better you mean using synths that sound so terrible the bitrate ceiling was struggling to contain all of the noise and thus rendered a very ****** sounding final product, then his I suppose he did a better synth style. Frankly, to me anyone using synths and not real samples in today's market is just cheap. I don't need a fully orchestrated score, but I would like the non-live pieces to not have instruments that sound as cheap as the 8MB soundfont file on the old Sound Blaster Live.

I usually play RPGs twice, with a year or two apart between play sessions so that I can try to get another honest take on the game. It'll be a while for FF13, but with FF12 there isn't a single piece of music I can remember that made an impact -- not one. It was all bland, boring, and so overly produced that the final product was a massive washed out sound. Actual melodic content not withstanding, the soundtrack of 12 isn't something I'd ever use to try to convince someone to give it a try.

FF13's is even worse by comparison, so I'm not surprised after that game came out SE just let go of its entire sound team. It's more cost effective for them to just use contracted work that'll end up in a better sounding product anyway.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)