Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Are ppl's mindset at approaching this game wrong at times.Follow

#1 Oct 11 2010 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
802 posts
Looking through the mountain of complains, sensible ones and whiny ones too. Makes me wonder are ppl approaching this mind with a wrong mindset.

Let me make this straight so it does not turn into a monkey poo throwing completion. I know everyone have their own style of play, and I'm not tell ppl off to follow what I did.

This is what I did with FFXIV.

Firstly I plan out the game, I came to the conclusion that its gonna be insanely crafting base, since NPCs basically sell nuts. Travel time is gonna be a *****. Since time and time again, the SE peeps said they will include chocobos *cough*horsebirds*cough* and airships on a later date. Bugs, latency issues, etc, been through a few mmo release date plays, so know something will happen.

Step 1: find a LS, hopefully people I know in FFXI. Which is easy since there ain't many names to go through.

Step 2: Chose a Gatherer class Botanist. Since I knew its gonna be crafter base economy, might as well be a gatherer and have the LS crafters Power Level themselves without the worries of mats. Got mining equipment once I got enough gil.

So now, my LS crafters are providing equipment to my other LS mates and themselves, I'm basically sponsored by my LS crafters whenever I need equipment to play.

Everyones happy.

Moreover I didn't grind for levels at all. The DoW/DoM classes I played target mobs that drop needed mats, Mushroom peeps in Grid for Cotton bolls and willow logs and Cooper Cobies in Ul'dah for copper and tin.

At my free time, when I stocked up enough mats for the crafters, I used the left overs to level my own crafting. **** feathers for weavering, beehive chips for Alchemist which I'm starting soon.

The only things I hated FFXIV, are the insane lag when partying (-_-, 30sec cure spells....

UI, inventory needs work

And theres not other fast way to get to Grid from LL and Ul'dah.

Am I wrong to say this, that maybe if ppl stop and to plan out and re-search what they wanna do in FFXIV, before jumping in, might feel differently with the game?

In fact, for every new MMO ppl play, ppl shouldn't expect the same thing as the last mmo they played.
____________________________


#2 Oct 11 2010 at 10:54 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
How are people approaching the game with the wrong mindset? Are you saying that because you like the game, your mindset is the correct one?

____________________________


#3 Oct 11 2010 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
802 posts
Dude read paragraph 2 again. Pls......
KujaKoF wrote:
How are people approaching the game with the wrong mindset? Are you saying that because you like the game, your mindset is the correct one?

____________________________


#4 Oct 11 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,060 posts
[quote=Humster]Step 1: find a LS, hopefully people I know in FFXI. Which is easy since there ain't many names to go through.y with the game?/quote]

This is the most important and crucial step imo. Yes, the game has flaws, nobody can deny that. Yes, it was pushed out too early and incomplete. BUT, I'd say the biggest factor in determining if it's still worth it to play or not is the community. If you start out with friends or people you knew from other games like FFXI, and you get into a linkshell that is both talkative and active, I'd say you're likely to have a much more enjoyable time in this game.

If you start out all alone however, with no decent ls and nobody to really do leves or exp with, well... your time here is going to suck, because all you're gonna do is focus on all the negative points and never really get into the biggest positive the game has.
#5 Oct 11 2010 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
i didn't come to 14 thinking it was going to be FFXI again. i was just hoping for the same magic that FFXI had given me, however so far that is not the case.

the one thing putting me off that i wish they had not done, is forcing us to craft. it is more enjoyable than FFXI because so far it isn't requiring piles of gil larger than my mog house, and i can actually see my progress. but i have just never been a crafter. Most of the people in my ls i was in also didn't have any crafts leveled as well.

it just seems odd to me that they would force people to do this seing as how most in FFXI didn't do it in the first place. maybe they wanted to change that. but having to many crafters isn't good either.
#6 Oct 11 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Humster wrote:
Dude read paragraph 2 again. Pls......
KujaKoF wrote:
How are people approaching the game with the wrong mindset? Are you saying that because you like the game, your mindset is the correct one?




I'm not actually flaming you, I wanted you to clarify your positions. Your title asked if people were coming into the game with the wrong mindsets, and then you just said what you did. It seemed like you were implying the way you went about going through the game was "the way".

I did research the game. From what I read, i was led to believe this would be a casual friendly game, and that was the mindset I went into the game with. The game I logged into was not the one I was sold.
____________________________


#7 Oct 11 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Decent
13 posts
The F**k ? if wanted to do some crafting for enjoyment i would go craft me a sandwich in the kitchen Do i have the wrong mindset that im suppose to go out and level off mobs?
#8 Oct 11 2010 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
One of the best thing I like about FF games is going up levels and equipping newer and cooler gear...

Well FFXIV has leveling covered... but when you spent 6 hours running to 3 different cities, checking their Market Wards, shouting along the way, to get 1 Shield you can finally use...

The game does seem, well for a lack of better word, stupid.
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#9 Oct 11 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Default
I think the better way to put it is that when people are looking to buy a game at non-release, they usually go online to do a lil research and this site is gonna show up if you put in FFXIV Forums or anything FFXIV related this site is going to be in that Mix. And the first thing a person notices when they jump on to this site is all the negative post. So prior to buying the game they get the idea that this game is crap and they wont like it due to all the people saying how bad it is. Now the majority of the time that is a good thing that the consumer is warned of the poor quality of the item, but at the same time especially in an MMO world its best for someone to form their own opinon to determine whether they like the game or not. So people automatically get the wrong idea bout the game and jump on the "this game sucks" bandwagon.

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 2:19pm by Ap0stle
____________________________
"Reason itself is fallible, and this fallibility must find a place in our logic."
-Nicola Abbagnano-
#10 Oct 11 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Default
13 posts
Maybe if you could kill other players for experience it would turn the game around - as when im grinding there are more people than monsters in the game world.
#11 Oct 11 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
I think the better way to put it is that when people are looking to buy a game at non-release, they usually go online to do a lil research and this site is gonna show up if you put in FFXIV Forums or anything FFXIV related this site is going to be in that Mix. And the first thing a person notices when they jump on to this site is all the negative post. So prior to buying the game they get the idea that this game is crap and they wont like it due to all the people saying how bad it is. Now the majority of the time that is a good thing that the consumer is warned of the poor quality of the item, but at the same time especially in an MMO world its best for someone to form their own opinon to determine whether they like the game or not. So people automatically get the wrong idea bout the game and jump on the "this game sucks" bandwagon.

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 2:19pm by Ap0stle


But the game really does suck.
#12 Oct 11 2010 at 3:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
608 posts
Quote:
Well FFXIV has leveling covered... but when you spent 6 hours running to 3 different cities, checking their Market Wards, shouting along the way, to get 1 Shield you can finally use...


nothing is stopping you from making your own, loot is droped/gathered in insane amounts. trying being first to the level cap right?
#13 Oct 11 2010 at 9:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Humster wrote:
Dude read paragraph 2 again. Pls......
KujaKoF wrote:
How are people approaching the game with the wrong mindset? Are you saying that because you like the game, your mindset is the correct one?




I'm not actually flaming you, I wanted you to clarify your positions. Your title asked if people were coming into the game with the wrong mindsets, and then you just said what you did. It seemed like you were implying the way you went about going through the game was "the way".

I did research the game. From what I read, i was led to believe this would be a casual friendly game, and that was the mindset I went into the game with. The game I logged into was not the one I was sold.


I pulled a marketing ploy on you (>...>. I actually wanted to use a other subject header. But knowing how ppl like over dramatic stuff, I decided to use the above.

As for research, during the close beta and open beta, there are clues that this game IS gonna be "casual" friendly, but, their version of "casual" is just for log in time. Not play style.
____________________________


#14 Oct 11 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
Silvarus wrote:
The F**k ? if wanted to do some crafting for enjoyment i would go craft me a sandwich in the kitchen Do i have the wrong mindset that im suppose to go out and level off mobs?


Nope, you got your own play style. I can;t you are wrong.

But, what are you going to do after you go out and beat up random mobs?
____________________________


#15 Oct 11 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Humster wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Humster wrote:
Dude read paragraph 2 again. Pls......
KujaKoF wrote:
How are people approaching the game with the wrong mindset? Are you saying that because you like the game, your mindset is the correct one?




I'm not actually flaming you, I wanted you to clarify your positions. Your title asked if people were coming into the game with the wrong mindsets, and then you just said what you did. It seemed like you were implying the way you went about going through the game was "the way".

I did research the game. From what I read, i was led to believe this would be a casual friendly game, and that was the mindset I went into the game with. The game I logged into was not the one I was sold.


I pulled a marketing ploy on you (>...>. I actually wanted to use a other subject header. But knowing how ppl like over dramatic stuff, I decided to use the above.

As for research, during the close beta and open beta, there are clues that this game IS gonna be "casual" friendly, but, their version of "casual" is just for log in time. Not play style.



well I agree with you there. I was put off by open beta too until i was told towards the end that they would be adjusting just about everything to make it more casual. Still isn't. Either SE lied to get my money, or they don't understand the definition of that word. But to reply to your original post now, I feel I did go into the game with a good mindset, one that I was led to believe would work out, and flat out didn't with the game I logged in to. Thats why I'm upset, and I think there's alot of people feeling the same as I do.
____________________________


#16 Oct 11 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
109 posts
Quote:
Step 1: find a LS, hopefully people I know in FFXI. Which is easy since there ain't many names to go through.

Step 2: Chose a Gatherer class Botanist. Since I knew its gonna be crafter base economy, might as well be a gatherer and have the LS crafters Power Level themselves without the worries of mats. Got mining equipment once I got enough gil.

So now, my LS crafters are providing equipment to my other LS mates and themselves, I'm basically sponsored by my LS crafters whenever I need equipment to play.


I did these things and I will say, it is most definitely the best decision I made. I went with Botany and CRP, and many of my LS members specialized in various crafts. Every day is a challenge and we work together to get gear for one another.

We do leves with DoW and DoM classes to get money, and we are all decked out in some of the most excellent gear we can get at our ranks. Partying is a little busted and a bit of a chore right now, so we are just getting up our physical levels and working with various crafts to pump out great items for one another. You can't complain about the company either! It makes the game so much more enjoyable.

I don't think this is the only way to play the game, but it's definitely an awesome and my favorite way to play it.
____________________________
Into Memoria - FFXIV Free Company
#17 Oct 11 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
i didn't come to 14 thinking it was going to be FFXI again. i was just hoping for the same magic that FFXI had given me, however so far that is not the case.

the one thing putting me off that i wish they had not done, is forcing us to craft. it is more enjoyable than FFXI because so far it isn't requiring piles of gil larger than my mog house, and i can actually see my progress. but i have just never been a crafter. Most of the people in my ls i was in also didn't have any crafts leveled as well.

it just seems odd to me that they would force people to do this seing as how most in FFXI didn't do it in the first place. maybe they wanted to change that. but having to many crafters isn't good either.


I predict that someone starting a year or so after release won't really need to craft if they don't want to since there will be enough crafters to supply the need of the economy. The issue now is there is SO MUCH unfulfilled need, which means finished products are inflated in price and hard to find, so there is a lot of pressure on players to craft. That said there are people in my LS who don't craft and they do fine. They sell shards for cash and sell stuff to LS members and get LS deals etc.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#18 Oct 11 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Default
****
9,526 posts
Silvarus wrote:
The F**k ? if wanted to do some crafting for enjoyment i would go craft me a sandwich in the kitchen Do i have the wrong mindset that im suppose to go out and level off mobs?


Man - it is not the games' fault if you don't know how to make cash and level your DoW/DoM job without crafting. SE isn't making you craft.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#19 Oct 11 2010 at 9:58 PM Rating: Decent
I did all my research during open beta. With talk of a much needed AH and fixing of the UI and such I figured that within a month or so from CE release the game would at least be tolerable. As it turns out none of that has happened. Anyway the crafting thing is blah I don't like crafting course with the "fatigue" system you can only skillup a class so long at a run, not to mention trying to find and afford gear for that class. Without a functioning AH all the crafters in the world won't help since ppl aren't gonna give up hours to search the wards, and crafters aren't real likely to hang onto rank 6 gear forever. Right now it's easier to get rank 25ish stuff than 10 cause noone makes the 10 stuff anymore. I really wanted to like this game, and of all the FFs I've played I can only say there's 3 others that let me down, at least since this is an mmo it still has hope. I believe it has a chance but SE needs to start reading the forums where we all discuss since they didn't provide us with any on thier site.
Wow I spun all over the place I must be tired.
#20 Oct 12 2010 at 5:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Silvarus wrote:
The F**k ? if wanted to do some crafting for enjoyment i would go craft me a sandwich in the kitchen Do i have the wrong mindset that im suppose to go out and level off mobs?


Man - it is not the games' fault if you don't know how to make cash and level your DoW/DoM job without crafting. SE isn't making you craft.


Your reading comprehension blows chunks. I love how he simply stated that it isn't wrong to not like crafting and to just want to level on monsters, and you magically turned around and stated he's whinging about not knowing how to make money.

Absolutely amazing there bucko.

Edited, Oct 12th 2010 7:32am by StrijderVechter
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)