Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

alienware m11x can it play FFIV?Follow

#1 Oct 11 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
Ok I been playing FF11 since the begining. Considering buying a laptop alienware m11x. The question I have is can it play the game with no lag. Since I bwish to forgo the whole desktop thing. They are to bulky although cheaper to build. I checked the minimum requirements but it doesn't mention laptop requirements. Someone help me out please.
____________________________
#2 Oct 11 2010 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
A new alienware probably yes.

I bought a Dell Studio XPS 16 with i7/Radeon 5750/8GB RAM and it plays fine windowed at 1920x1080 settings high/high.

So assuming the 'alienware' specs are better which they likely are, then there will be no problem.

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 12:54pm by rikkuotaku
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#3 Oct 11 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
*
154 posts
I would hope it could play FFIV (under emulation most likely), otherwise I'd be trying to get my money back.
____________________________
Shinalia Wynne Durstian, boat addict, poker of taru and lalafel.

FFXI: Kujata Server (I'm NOT in denial, really!)
Rank 10 Windurstian
FFXIV: Besaid Server Shinalia Durstian
#4 Oct 11 2010 at 11:05 AM Rating: Default
22 posts
Quote:
I checked the minimum requirements but it doesn't mention laptop requirements.

^^ I lol'd

You realize a laptop is a computer just like a desktop right? The same parts go into your laptop as go into a desktop. So the minimum requirements for a laptop are going to be exactly the same as what you read already.

#5 Oct 11 2010 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
superaga wrote:
Quote:
I checked the minimum requirements but it doesn't mention laptop requirements.

^^ I lol'd

You realize a laptop is a computer just like a desktop right? The same parts go into your laptop as go into a desktop. So the minimum requirements for a laptop are going to be exactly the same as what you read already.



your correct that they are both computers, however a laptop is NOT a desktop, and is very different than one. the parts are NOT the same. You can't just go out and buy laptop parts and upgrade it. in fact, it's very hard to upgrade a laptop.

Unlike desktops laptops don't have a standard that every company follows. so getting parts that will fit inside won't be easy. also, getting a laptop to play FFXIV is going to cost you some $$$
#6 Oct 11 2010 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
22 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
superaga wrote:
Quote:
I checked the minimum requirements but it doesn't mention laptop requirements.

^^ I lol'd

You realize a laptop is a computer just like a desktop right? The same parts go into your laptop as go into a desktop. So the minimum requirements for a laptop are going to be exactly the same as what you read already.



your correct that they are both computers, however a laptop is NOT a desktop, and is very different than one. the parts are NOT the same. You can't just go out and buy laptop parts and upgrade it. in fact, it's very hard to upgrade a laptop.

Unlike desktops laptops don't have a standard that every company follows. so getting parts that will fit inside won't be easy. also, getting a laptop to play FFXIV is going to cost you some $$$


Correct. I can't take parts from my desktop and throw them into your laptop, I'm glad you clarified.

But an "Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz" and "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9" and "2GB of RAM" and "Disk Space: 15GB" are going to be the exact same system requirements for a laptop. A 9600 in a desktop vs. in a laptop is going to perform arguably the same in a laptop as in a desktop.

For the purposes of this thread and being useful, you need at least what the system requirements say to play the game.

As far as the m11x is concerned, I think you're going to be cutting it close with the specs on that thing.

#7 Oct 11 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
Quote:
But an "Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz" and "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9" and "2GB of RAM" and "Disk Space: 15GB" are going to be the exact same system requirements for a laptop. A 9600 in a desktop vs. in a laptop is going to perform arguably the same in a laptop as in a desktop.


The CPU maybe about the same between a laptop and a desktop but I can tell you from experience and owning a couple of gaming laptops and desktops that when it comes to a video card from NVidia or ATI , the mobile (i.e. laptop) version of the video card in the same numbered series is going to be below the desktop version in terms of performance, sometimes by a significant amount. One of my desktops is an old Intel core 2 duo with an old NVidia 8800GT (several years old now) and it is able to run FFXIV quite smoothly with default settings at 1280 x 720 windowed and at 1920 x 1080 with a few things turned down - 60fps in wide open areas in fact. Despite having a much older video card, it outperforms my Alienware M11x (which has a NVidia GT 335M) in FFXIV by a very noticeable amount. I have another laptop which is also a core 2 duo with a NVidia 9600 mobile chip - that one can't run FFXIV at any reasonable frame-rate.

I actually happen to have the Alienware M11x dual-core (the first version, not the very recently released updated version). I can get FFXIV to run "OK" with the lower resolution and pretty much *everything* turned off or set to the lowest, but it's still pretty choppy so you wouldn't want this to be the main computer on which to play FFXIV (my main is a Core-I5 with a Radeon HD5850, which I've left out of the comparisons here for obvious reasons). I've logged into FFXIV on my M11x just to do some stuff like crafting/fishing and other non-intensive stuff - so it's ok for a secondary "log into to do some mellow stuff" laptop.
____________________________

#8 Oct 11 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
22 posts
You aren't comparing evenly matched cards at all..

The 8800GT and the 335m aren't comparable. The 335M is just a worse card in general. If you were to compare the 8800M with the GT I'm willing to bet you would get very similar results.

As far as the 9600 is concerned, that card is horrible. That and your 8800 and a 9800 would perform almost identical to each other.

Not much happened in that series change so dropping a 600 card is a downgrade right away.

Comparing a 8800 GTS and a 8800M GTS you can see that they are almost the same. Even if you don't understand what the numbers mean you can see they are close and the M version even beats the desktop card in places.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=475&card2=570
#9 Oct 11 2010 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
I own the m11x, i7 /w 4GB. the short answer is NO, the Alienware m11x cannot play FFXIV.
The truth is, at 1280x720 at HALF resolution the game is playable with a steady 20-30 FPS, but it looks WORSE than the PS2 version of FFXI.

PS: the minimum specs SE has posted take ONE QUARTER resolution in mind... it may run, but you won't be able to tell the difference between a mob or NPC lol. To get a glimpse, change your FFXIV setting on w/e you're running to one quarter and you'll see how awful games can still look ;)

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 2:21pm by sideways
#10 Oct 11 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
22 posts
sideways wrote:
I own the m11x, i7 /w 4GB. the short answer is NO, the Alienware m11x cannot play FFXIV.
The truth is, at 1280x720 at HALF resolution the game is playable with a steady 20-30 FPS, but it looks WORSE than the PS2 version of FFXI.


qft. Like I predicted
#11 Oct 11 2010 at 12:29 PM Rating: Decent
Well, for Reference...

My Laptop is a ASUS-G51VX-A1 It's 2yrs old. It has a 2-core 2.82Ghz Intel CPU, 4GB 1333 Mem, Nvidia 260M 1GB GPU, 2x 320GB 7200RPM 16mb-cache drives, full 1980x1020 HD display. I still haven't upgraded to Windows-7 yet.

I play in the largest 'windowed' mode that allows me to put the game quickly in the background to look things up. I also run Ventrilo, Firefox, and my Virus program at the same time. All normal windows processes are running.

I have all settings on 'high', shadows off, AA is off and that's all I have turned down.

I run FFXIV better than many of my friends who have $1,500.00 4-core desktops.

I am satisfied by how FFXIV runs on my Lappy. I just wish they would do some optimizations...that would REALLY help.



/cheers

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 2:31pm by PrometheusUnbound
____________________________
Quote:

"Frostmourne is a Hunter weapon. True story."

-Greg the "Ghostcrawler" Street
#12 Oct 11 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
22 posts
PrometheusUnbound wrote:
Well, for Reference...

My Laptop is a ASUS-G51VX-A1 It's 2yrs old. It has a 2-core 2.82Ghz Intel CPU, 4GB 1333 Mem, Nvidia 260M 1GB GPU, 2x 320GB 7200RPM 16mb-cache drives, full 1980x1020 HD display. I still haven't upgraded to Windows-7 yet.

I play in the largest 'windowed' mode that allows me to put the game quickly in the background to look things up. I also run Ventrilo, Firefox, and my Virus program at the same time. All normal windows processes are running.

I have all settings on 'high', shadows off, AA is off and that's all I have turned down.

I run FFXIV better than many of my friends who have 1,500 4-core desktops.

I am satisfied by how FFXIV runs on my Lappy. I just wish they would do some optimizations...that would REALLY help.



/cheers


Waayyy better machine than the m11x
#13 Oct 11 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Default
7 posts
The m11x is a gaming netbook, more than a laptop. It can run Crysis OK on medium settings, so it should be able to run FF XIV on medium settings. I dont think a 11 inch screen would be fun to play on though.
#14 Oct 11 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
superaga wrote:
A 9600 in a desktop vs. in a laptop is going to perform arguably the same in a laptop as in a desktop.
No they won't. The structure of the card is entirely different. The architecture of a mobile chip needs to draw much less power and fit in a drastically smaller profile, meaning that in turn the performance will differ greatly. Expect a mobile GPU to perform roughly half to 2/3rds as well as its desktop counterpart.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#15 Oct 11 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
PrometheusUnbound wrote:
Well, for Reference...

My Laptop is a ASUS-G51VX-A1 It's 2yrs old. It has a 2-core 2.82Ghz Intel CPU, 4GB 1333 Mem, Nvidia 260M 1GB GPU, 2x 320GB 7200RPM 16mb-cache drives, full 1980x1020 HD display. I still haven't upgraded to Windows-7 yet.

I play in the largest 'windowed' mode that allows me to put the game quickly in the background to look things up. I also run Ventrilo, Firefox, and my Virus program at the same time. All normal windows processes are running.

I have all settings on 'high', shadows off, AA is off and that's all I have turned down.

I run FFXIV better than many of my friends who have $1,500.00 4-core desktops.

I am satisfied by how FFXIV runs on my Lappy. I just wish they would do some optimizations...that would REALLY help.



/cheers


Just so everyone knows what they are getting into, could you please run the ffxiv benchmark on your rig http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/

Benchmarks provide a synthetic performance results that all can relate to. It has been my experience that far too many people accept poor framerates on the PC games and claim "it looks good to me." Don't get disappointed if the score is lower then you want ;) if it looks good to you than that's all that matters

The Alienware m11x gets a score of 1000 btw, 1200 overclocked.
Quote:
[Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
Does not meet specifications for running the game.


My desktop, AMD Quad core 2.8Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 scores 3400, and i play that one @ 1080p
Quote:
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.


Judging from pure 3D mark 06 benchmarks, you'll need the GeForce GTX 480M (best they offer now..) to have a system above the 3000 FFXIV benchmark on a notebook. the GTX 285M in SLI or ATI HD 5870 in X-fire will also do.

I'm actually in the market for another laptop, was disapointed with the m11x and FFXIV. here are some i've been looking at /w the GTX 480M
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_W880CU_Gaming_Laptop
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP8850
http://www.v3gamingpc.com/buy/avid_p55m.html

unfortunately it looks like I'm get an GIANT 17" laptop again... however for any fellow laptop enthusiasts, this 15" is supporting the GTX 480M o.O http://www.v3gamingpc.com/notebooks/rover_3d_specs.html


Edited, Oct 11th 2010 3:40pm by sideways
#16 Oct 11 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
sideways wrote:
Judging from pure 3D mark 06 benchmarks, you'll need the GeForce GTX 480M (best they offer now..) to have a system above the 3000 FFXIV benchmark on a notebook. the GTX 285M in SLI or ATI HD 5870 in X-fire will also do.
A single mobility HD 5870 gets me ~3500 on low and ~2200 on high (i7-720QM).
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#17 Oct 11 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
bsphil wrote:
sideways wrote:
Judging from pure 3D mark 06 benchmarks, you'll need the GeForce GTX 480M (best they offer now..) to have a system above the 3000 FFXIV benchmark on a notebook. the GTX 285M in SLI or ATI HD 5870 in X-fire will also do.
A single mobility HD 5870 gets me ~3500 on low and ~2200 on high (i7-720QM).


Screenshot? With a 3dmark06 of only 12,634 i just dont believe you :)
Dont take it the wrong way please! if you really get ~3500 on the FFXIV benchmark i know my next laptop!!!
however, it will be the ONLY notebook GPU in the 12,000 3Dmark06 range that has this high of a score...

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 4:32pm by sideways
#18 Oct 11 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
cylanth wrote:
The m11x is a gaming netbook, more than a laptop. It can run Crysis OK on medium settings, so it should be able to run FF XIV on medium settings. I dont think a 11 inch screen would be fun to play on though.


I have an m11X purchased about 8 months ago (before the new version was released with better processor).

The game is unplayable on my M11X. I get all the issues you read about on these boards, UI lag etc when I play the game and it makes me want to cry and also become a hater.

Then I go back to my super rig and the game runs so great I love it.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#19 Oct 11 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
After much deliberation and reading the boards. I realize the M11x will be a complete waste of money. I only wanted it for convience. I didn't want to sacrifice performance for convienence. 11 inches is nice size for a laptop. So I decided to move up to a 15" laptop. These are the stats of the laptop its not a monster but will get the job done I think.

Core i5 2.53 ghz/ 3mb cache
Ram. 4GB dual channel
Radeon ATI 5730 Mobility or geforce GTX 260M

Opinions please fairly new to the laptop scene. Justwant to make the conversion as smooth as possible.
____________________________
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)