Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Read Only: If looking to improvement FFXIV Experience.Follow

#1 Oct 11 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
54 posts
Before I begin it's obvious the game design and basic feature flaws already present in the game. Instead of the redundancy of stating the obvious. I'll be taking a moment to give helpful tips and personal experience so far, to help improve others experience with the game.

If your interested and want to chime in with additional ideas please feel free to do so.

The things I will briefly touch on is crafting, leveling, quests, "lag", and personal insights.

First off to truly get a better sense of fulfillment from the game it might be beneficial to yourself to pace yourself instead of trying to "Zerg" (rush) everything. That right there will decrease some of the stress, and impatience before wanting to pick up your pitchfork every 10 minutes.


01. CRAFTING (+ Repairing)
------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going to craft, I would suggest doing 2-3 max that compliment each other and add a DoL to match it.

I.E.
Miner (DoL) > Blacksmith (DoH) > Weaver (DoH) > Armorer (DoH)

Since Armorer requires a good amount of items from both Blacksmith and Weaver to be truly effective leveling those crafting classes will not only help to improve your output with being an Armorer, but reduces a lot of time searching for someone to repair your gear for you.

You can also start building a little list of clientele of people you repair gear for and make items for. Thus creating a steady flow of income.

Repairing
In the event you don't care to do any crafts... Networking is key. The more you get into the game the more expensive getting your armor/weapons repaired by the NPC will be. Game Design wise it's done this way on purpose to make you socialize to a certain degree to get better rates on repair costs.

The best thing for you to do is have a few friends (or associates) on your list you know that are dedicated crafters to be able to go to when the need arises and setup payment deals from the get-go.


02. LEVELING
------------------------------------------------------------
Currently as far as leveling goes for my job rank, mainly DoW (GLA). It hasn't been as stressful compared to XI or as difficult as others have made it seem.

I can say for a "fact". Party XP > Solo XP.

With my linkshell we casually XP Grind with anywhere from 3-6 people from time to time netting about 1.2-2K SP and 2-4//k EXP every 15-30min.

Example:
GLA 21 | THM 18 | GLA 16 | GLA 15 | ARC 16

- Fighting Thickshells & Reef Anglers we was easily killing them gaining about 1-1.5K SP & 2-3K EXP every 25min. This is one camp spot with about 6 mobs in it that we take on never really needing to move to another spot.

Currently the Party Search feature is pretty unusable, so for people looking to steadily level at a decent I speed. I suggest joining a fairly active linkshell or again network with some people who goals are parallel to your own.


03. QUESTS
------------------------------------------------------------
I believe it's been stated before but one of the easier things dealing with levequests and the timer of 8 per 36hrs, is not to have your entire group get leve's at the same time. Alternate after a set number of runs for another person to grab and get some more and so on.

Battlecraft Leve's
Nothing new to really state here...BUT... We've (my linkshell) noticed that the varying "star" difficulty isn't an error more so than it is just a scale of mob type strength.

Imps (Rank 20 Leve's) most members under rank 20 jobs can easily be handled on 3 star's. But do the same with Bug types like the Ladybug's and will you be demolished.

So when doing battlecraft leve's don't worry about anything really other than the mob type to determine what Star Rating to do the Leve's at. This will greatly improve your win-lose ration on these quests.

Faction Leve's
Work pretty much the same way as battle leve's except the rewards are greater and more varied and the mob types based on area change up considerably to what we've been fighting in Battlecraft Leve's.


04. LAG
------------------------------------------------------------
The UI "lag" and lag in general is due minimally to programming, but largely based on user settings and PC Specs.

If you got the game running at Max and PC isn't up to spec to handle it you will get lag like no other.

I'm running a below spec Laptop with the game and running the game pretty well, with minimally lag on the "Half" Filter setting, and dust + shadow effects turned off.

PC Spec - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz | 256 MB VRAM | 3GB RAM | Radeon Mobility HD 3000 Series


05. PERSONAL INSIGHT
------------------------------------------------------------
Overall the game has a bit of work cut out for itself to address a lot of issues that shouldn't have went under the radar. But even in the light of these glaring issues, I've found me a good group of people with logical opinions and ideals of what we want from the game, and what we can do as a group to improve our experiences.


Hopefully these brief ideas help you with your experience.

(> **)b
#2 Oct 11 2010 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
nice thread, rate up... hopefully this doesn't turn into another poo-storm... but I'm guessing it will. It's nice to see so many positive or at least balanced threads on the front page today.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#3 Oct 11 2010 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
17 posts
sodux wrote:


04. LAG
------------------------------------------------------------
The UI "lag" and lag in general is due minimally to programming, but largely based on user settings and PC Specs.

If you got the game running at Max and PC isn't up to spec to handle it you will get lag like no other.

I'm running a below spec Laptop with the game and running the game pretty well, with minimally lag on the "Half" Filter setting, and dust + shadow effects turned off.

PC Spec - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz | 256 MB VRAM | 3GB RAM | Radeon Mobility HD 3000 Series



This is vastly incorrect.
1. The SE team has already stated that most of what goes on within the ui is server side, if it was client side you would notice diffrences between crowded and non crowded area's. I can sit in the middle of limsa by the repair NPC with about 70-100 people around me and the speed with which menu's populate and come up is the same speed as when i am crafting in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight. Having anything that is part of a client run server side is incredibly stupid in general. The best thing the wow developers ever did was make the transition from a server side ui to a client side, hopefully SE will do the same.

Dont get me wrong, im hopelessly addicted and i love this game to death but lets not ignore obvious problems.
#4 Oct 11 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
nice thread, rate up... hopefully this doesn't turn into another poo-storm... but I'm guessing it will. It's nice to see so many positive or at least balanced threads on the front page today.


No way am I reading a guide to some shambling, broken game like FFXIV!!1

Seriously though, I agree with your sentiment; less complaining, more figuring out how the game actually works! XD

Just the other day, in fact, I found out that you can set the MP-regaining abilities on some unused slot on other characters and, when you switch classes, have it not reset its cool-down! There is much to be discovered... and it's way more interesting than sifting through another bombastic QQ thread. d(^_ ^ )


Edit: wow, a real "poo-storm" was actually posted while I was making my fake one!


Edited, Oct 11th 2010 3:56pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#5 Oct 11 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
54 posts
Nitrostorm321 wrote:
sodux wrote:


04. LAG
------------------------------------------------------------
The UI "lag" and lag in general is due minimally to programming, but largely based on user settings and PC Specs.

If you got the game running at Max and PC isn't up to spec to handle it you will get lag like no other.

I'm running a below spec Laptop with the game and running the game pretty well, with minimally lag on the "Half" Filter setting, and dust + shadow effects turned off.

PC Spec - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz | 256 MB VRAM | 3GB RAM | Radeon Mobility HD 3000 Series



This is vastly incorrect.
1. The SE team has already stated that most of what goes on within the ui is server side, if it was client side you would notice diffrences between crowded and non crowded area's. I can sit in the middle of limsa by the repair NPC with about 70-100 people around me and the speed with which menu's populate and come up is the same speed as when i am crafting in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight. Having anything that is part of a client run server side is incredibly stupid in general. The best thing the wow developers ever did was make the transition from a server side ui to a client side, hopefully SE will do the same.

Dont get me wrong, im hopelessly addicted and i love this game to death but lets not ignore obvious problems.


If you read my statement I didn't say it was all user oriented the issue, but apart of the issue of lag is user oriented. But I was referring to UI Lag mainly... If you do tests with your machine on different settings you WILL see a difference. I was conducting my own during OB and during Launch so to say it falls squarely (no pun) on Square is unjust. It's both sides...



Edited, Oct 11th 2010 3:56pm by sodux
#6 Oct 11 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Nitrostorm321 wrote:
sodux wrote:


04. LAG
------------------------------------------------------------
The UI "lag" and lag in general is due minimally to programming, but largely based on user settings and PC Specs.

If you got the game running at Max and PC isn't up to spec to handle it you will get lag like no other.

I'm running a below spec Laptop with the game and running the game pretty well, with minimally lag on the "Half" Filter setting, and dust + shadow effects turned off.

PC Spec - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz | 256 MB VRAM | 3GB RAM | Radeon Mobility HD 3000 Series



This is vastly incorrect.
1. The SE team has already stated that most of what goes on within the ui is server side, if it was client side you would notice diffrences between crowded and non crowded area's. I can sit in the middle of limsa by the repair NPC with about 70-100 people around me and the speed with which menu's populate and come up is the same speed as when i am crafting in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight. Having anything that is part of a client run server side is incredibly stupid in general. The best thing the wow developers ever did was make the transition from a server side ui to a client side, hopefully SE will do the same.

Dont get me wrong, im hopelessly addicted and i love this game to death but lets not ignore obvious problems.


Now Im not a techy but my personal experience is not consistent with this explanation.

If I play on my Alienware M11X (vastly underpowered for this game) I get terrible UI lag to the point of being unplayable. If I play on my main rig with 2x GTX480's and an overclocked hyperthread 4 core processor running at 4.2Ghz I have absolutely no (or very, very little) lag.

Cant tell me that this is not machine dependent.

For a long time I had no idea what anyone else was talking about with UI lag problems - wasnt until i went away for the weekend and installed on my laptop then suddenly I understood all the QQing and stopped giving people a hard time for it.

If your machine is not AT LEAST recommended specs - this game is completely unplayable. On a high end machine, it is smooth as silk!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#7 Oct 11 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,888 posts
Nitrostorm321 wrote:
sodux wrote:


04. LAG
------------------------------------------------------------
The UI "lag" and lag in general is due minimally to programming, but largely based on user settings and PC Specs.

If you got the game running at Max and PC isn't up to spec to handle it you will get lag like no other.

I'm running a below spec Laptop with the game and running the game pretty well, with minimally lag on the "Half" Filter setting, and dust + shadow effects turned off.

PC Spec - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz | 256 MB VRAM | 3GB RAM | Radeon Mobility HD 3000 Series



This is vastly incorrect.
1. The SE team has already stated that most of what goes on within the ui is server side, if it was client side you would notice diffrences between crowded and non crowded area's. I can sit in the middle of limsa by the repair NPC with about 70-100 people around me and the speed with which menu's populate and come up is the same speed as when i am crafting in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight. Having anything that is part of a client run server side is incredibly stupid in general. The best thing the wow developers ever did was make the transition from a server side ui to a client side, hopefully SE will do the same.

Dont get me wrong, im hopelessly addicted and i love this game to death but lets not ignore obvious problems.


And, through that, to allow self made Add-ons.
To me, if I had to pick ONE great difference between pre-WoW MMOs and pos-WoW MMOs would be the ability to use add-ons to change your original interface the way you like and think is more productive.
I, for one, hate with all my bits the crappy UI from WoW. As much as I hate this one.
But, there, I have add-ons that can modify it to the way I like.
Here, so far, is just bad. And server side. Did I said it is bad? =(

And about the specs on your machine, if its not even the minimum, just uninstall the game from it.
Mine is onpar, if not better, from the recomended and I still got lag when I cast, when I click on things, when I try to go through a door...

And, no, not a bad connection here. Other actions in game, like gathering, work smoothly.

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 5:54pm by Brisin
#8 Oct 11 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
sodux wrote:
01. CRAFTING (+ Repairing)
------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going to craft, I would suggest doing 2-3 max that compliment each other and add a DoL to match it.

I.E.
Miner (DoL) > Blacksmith (DoH) > Weaver (DoH) > Armorer (DoH)

Since Armorer requires a good amount of items from both Blacksmith and Weaver to be truly effective leveling those crafting classes will not only help to improve your output with being an Armorer, but reduces a lot of time searching for someone to repair your gear for you.


I highly suggest that any Armorer do the Goldsmith Local Leves. You will get Copper and Tin Ore, free, that can be easily (Rank 4 Goldsmith Synth) turned into Bronze Nuggets.

You can then ride the wave of Bronze Nuggets > Bronze Ingots > Bronze Wire > Bronze Rings > Bronze Chain from Armorer Ranks 11-15. At Rank 11 you will need Guild support to pull off these synths, but you will have almost unlimted supplies for a massive craft fest.

Going from Rank 11 to Rank 15 Armorer for free is excellent.
#9 Oct 11 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
RufuSwho wrote:
sodux wrote:
01. CRAFTING (+ Repairing)
------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going to craft, I would suggest doing 2-3 max that compliment each other and add a DoL to match it.

I.E.
Miner (DoL) > Blacksmith (DoH) > Weaver (DoH) > Armorer (DoH)

Since Armorer requires a good amount of items from both Blacksmith and Weaver to be truly effective leveling those crafting classes will not only help to improve your output with being an Armorer, but reduces a lot of time searching for someone to repair your gear for you.


I highly suggest that any Armorer do the Goldsmith Local Leves. You will get Copper and Tin Ore, free, that can be easily (Rank 4 Goldsmith Synth) turned into Bronze Nuggets.

You can then ride the wave of Bronze Nuggets > Bronze Ingots > Bronze Wire > Bronze Rings > Bronze Chain from Armorer Ranks 11-15. At Rank 11 you will need Guild support to pull off these synths, but you will have almost unlimted supplies for a massive craft fest.

Going from Rank 11 to Rank 15 Armorer for free is excellent.


I think you meant Blacksmith, since I seem to only get ingots from goldsmithing leves. Blacksmithing is generally good to have anyway, we make and repair your tools after all, and it seems that Armor needs blacksmithing to break ore into the useable nuggets anyway.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#10 Oct 11 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
54 posts
sodux wrote:

02. LEVELING
------------------------------------------------------------
Currently as far as leveling goes for my job rank, mainly DoW (GLA). It hasn't been as stressful compared to XI or as difficult as others have made it seem.

I can say for a "fact". Party XP > Solo XP.

With my linkshell we casually XP Grind with anywhere from 3-6 people from time to time netting about 1.2-2K SP and 2-4//k EXP every 15-30min.

Example:
GLA 21 | THM 18 | GLA 16 | GLA 15 | ARC 16

- Fighting Thickshells & Reef Anglers we was easily killing them gaining about 1-1.5K SP & 2-3K EXP every 25min. This is one camp spot with about 6 mobs in it that we take on never really needing to move to another spot.

Currently the Party Search feature is pretty unusable, so for people looking to steadily level at a decent I speed. I suggest joining a fairly active linkshell or again network with some people who goals are parallel to your own.



Also just wanted to add another experience to the leveling thing accomplished tonight... taking on multiple mobs in xp party is very possible now and is actually exhilarating to do.

We did Giant Crabs (LL) replace the GLA 15 with PUG 16 and we went to work fighting multiple mobs at once... And when you use AOE moves you get SP off both mobs. Though it still varies the SP amount cause I was able to get 150SP per two mobs only having done 1 AOE move but wasn't able to duplicate that consistently.

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)