Over the weekend I documented 1500 attacks and their consequences in order to help us find a starting point on how these stats directly affect us. The goal is to minimize the guesswork going on, and spread the knowledge of what each stat is doing for you on a detailed level.
This post is still a work in progress, and hopefully over the course of the next several years, I will have the opportunity to document several thousand more actions to grow our understanding of the game mechanics. I welcome any suggestions for new theories to test, new mechanics to investigate, and I especially welcome any help in gathering this information.
Now for information from test number two (finally)!
The controls/stats and variables:
For this second test, I am examining what the effects of Dexterity are on accuracy, as well as critical hit percentage and Skill Points gained instances per action. For this test, I am using a Physical level 23, Rank 14 Archer. I have no active traits. My stats are as follows:
STR :40________________ Fire : 16
VIT :40 ________________ Water : 16
DEX :40* ______________ Lightning : 15
INT :16 ________________ Wind : 99
MND :20 _______________ Earth : 15
PIE :16 ________________ Ice : 13
*In part 2 and part 3 of test one, the dexterity is increased to 60 and then 80 to test the effects on accuracy, critical hit percentage, and Skill Points gained instances per action. No other stats are changed. Each time dexterity is increased all gear is repaired to 75% at NPC repair vendor, which is where it began the testing. In further testing, DEX was lowered to 20. All other variables remain the same as original tests.
My gear is as follows:
Hempen Work Gloves +1
The test mobs were the Thistletail Marmot in the North Forest outside of Gridania, specifically the ones located in the large open space near the Coerthas zone. For control purposes, I only used Light Shot ability once engaged.
Average level of Thistletail Marmot -
* The 300 shots at 40 DEX had an average target exp of 88.65
* The 300 shots at 60 DEX had an average target exp of 83.60
* The 300 shots at 80 DEX had an average target exp of 77.56
The Thistletail Marmots in this camp give 42, 64, 84, 105, or 116 exp. The whole reason I spent an hour parsing this particular figure by hand is that I figured the rest of the results I am about to post MUST have been influenced by the tests at 40 DEX being on relatively easier Marmots than the tests at 80 DEX. Sadly, the opposite is true, which makes the following results even more frustrating.
* 20 DEX gave a result of 104 misses and 196 hits, for an accuracy of 65.33%
* 40 DEX gave a result of 108 misses and 192 hits, for an accuracy of 64%
* 60 DEX gave a result of 70 misses and 230 hits, for an accuracy of 76.67%
* 80 DEX gave a result of 85 misses and 215 hits, for an accuracy of 71.67%
Given that in my post on STR, both the 60 STR and 80 STR tests posted about a 70% accuracy, I believe that (at least for Archer at hand to hand distance) the effect of DEX on accuracy is capped at 40 skill or lower for a character of my skill level (14) giving a 70% accuracy rate average. When averaged all together, the 1500 attempts I recorded over the weekend hit for a 70.33% accuracy rate. I am going to test DEX at 20
- When testing DEX at 20, I received results similar to all previous tests as far as accuracy. I post more about the 20 DEX test in the critical hit rate section(skipped analysis on the 20 DEX dmg numbers for now...I need to have some fun/do leves tonight), and nothing will change there either.
I will also be re-evaluating this as Gladiator sometime soon to see if the Archer distance penalty (supposed) is real, and what the difference in accuracy would be on a close range class.
* 40 DEX gave a result of 124.16 damage per hit.
* 60 DEX gave a result of 131.35 damage per hit, which was a 5.79% increase over the original test.
* 80 DEX gave a result of 123.62 damage per hit, which was a 0.43% decrease from the original test.
It appears Dexterity does not affect damage either, at least after 40 dexterity skill points. I’ll keep tabs on this while I’m running the accuracy 20 and 30 tests, but I doubt anything new will happen here.
Critical Hit Rate –
* At 20 DEX, 10.71% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 40 DEX, 10.94% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 60 DEX, 12.17% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 80 DEX, 10.23% of successful attacks were critical hits.
It does not appear dexterity has any effect on the critical rate either. At this point in my documentation, I began feeling very upset at my level 80 DEX tests. If they had fallen in line with the awesome level 60 tests…DEX would have actually been relevant, but it seems it is not.
Skill Points Gained per Attack –
* At 40 DEX, 28.65% of successful attacks resulted in SP gain.
* At 60 DEX, 28.26% of successful attack resulted in SP gain.
* At 80 DEX, 26.51% of successful attacks resulted in SP gain.
It does not appear that DEX affected SP gain in any way.
Critical Damage Increase –
* At 40 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 122.1 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 140.9 damage per hit, which is a 15.4% increase in damage on critical hits.
* At 60 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 128.92 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 148.86 damage per hit, which is a 15.47% increase in damage on critical hits.
* At 80 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 121.4 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 143.14 damage per hit, which is a 17.91% increase in damage on critical hits.
It does not appear that DEX affected the critical hit damage bonus, which seems to be fixed at about 15%. If it does have an effect, it is minimal at best.
So, I guess it is true. Here are the facts, and until I can test lower values, DEX is irrelevant for
After that, I’ll start showing the mages some more love. I promise I’ll get you some good stuff too.
As mentioned before, any constructive criticism is appreciated.
Edit - Corrected final statements.
Edited, Oct 27th 2010 11:53pm by Yabusame