Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Gamespy reviewFollow

#1 Oct 12 2010 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
2/5 and a thorough bashing in the text. Nothing new really said, especially for around here.


http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/square-enix-next-gen-mmorpg/1127142p1.html
#2 Oct 12 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I have been of the mindset that I will give it time. However, each time I read a review (despite telling me nothing I don't already know) its like a slap in the face with the reality that I could simply play a different game and instantly start having some fun.

The great thing about the world we live in today, is that there is no need to be patient when it comes to passtimes like gaming.





Edited, Oct 12th 2010 10:45am by Mithsavvy
#3 Oct 12 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
That's a rough one. Mostly true too.

Doesn't seem like the reviewer got very far so I don't think the note about exploration holds any water. Finding a out-of-the-way hidey hole that spawns 15 of the creatures you need to exp/skill is a nice surprise.

#4 Oct 12 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
30 posts
The most fun i've had so far was last nite when I said "***** the leves" and just went exploring. Mined a little, harvested some stuff, found a new camp. It feels a lot better to me than it did a week ago, I don't know what that says about the game though. Still, can't fault the review, seems onpoint for most of it. I almost had an anxiety attack from the interface while trying to find something in the market ward.
#5 Oct 12 2010 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
The reviewer's screenshot embedded within the article is an old one from Japanese pre-alpha... I wonder if he even played the game. Hmmm.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Oct 12 2010 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
246 posts
The leve system is completely holding this game back. It was a very poor choice to make it the focus of SP/Exp.
#7 Oct 12 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
*
241 posts
LordMethos wrote:
The leve system is completely holding this game back. It was a very poor choice to make it the focus of SP/Exp.


So they gave us a central location to manage questing, but not a central location to manage buying and selling.

I'd rather have it the other way around.
____________________________
There once was a tiger striped cat. This cat died a million deaths and was reborn a million times and was owned by various people who he didn't care for. The cat wasn't afraid to die... One day, the cat was a free cat, a stray cat. He met a white female cat, and the two cats spent their days happily together. Years passed, and the white cat died of old age. The tiger striped cat cried a million times, and then died. It never
came back to life.
#8 Oct 12 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
Maybe it is different at higher levels, but I get way more exp fishing than I do with Leves - and that is doing Leve in a group with Shared Leves. So I am not sure what some mean when they say Leve is the focus of Exp.
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#9 Oct 12 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
**
603 posts
ogboot wrote:
The most fun i've had so far was last nite when I said "***** the leves" and just went exploring. Mined a little, harvested some stuff, found a new camp. It feels a lot better to me than it did a week ago, I don't know what that says about the game though. Still, can't fault the review, seems onpoint for most of it. I almost had an anxiety attack from the interface while trying to find something in the market ward.


Exact same thing for me. I don't think SE intended for the game to be so entirely dependent on leves. Even though that is a major part of the game, originally they had a 48 hour turn around for leves, which forced people to explore and try different aspects of the game. (which they haven't really implemented yet) Just running around with a friend and exploring and gathering was really fun! Can't wait to see what they add in the next major update.

#10 Oct 12 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
*
106 posts
JamesX wrote:
Maybe it is different at higher levels, but I get way more exp fishing than I do with Leves - and that is doing Leve in a group with Shared Leves. So I am not sure what some mean when they say Leve is the focus of Exp.


I'm guessing they mean SP and not EXP since physical level doesn't seem to be of great importance.
#11 Oct 12 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Crafting is a chore; starting a quest requires flipping through no less than four menus;


I agree with most of the things in the review, but I had to point out the irony that the writer picked apart SE's lack of English language mastery while presenting us with this gem.

Anyone who went through the re-branding of freaking Shop Rite knows that fewer is the correct word in this instance since we are not measuring liquid. I expect more from someone who tries to immediately demonstrate his superiority by tossing so many 10c words at us in the first paragraph of the review.

The reviews are starting to be a little bit of copy pasta themselves. No real need to keep reading until the next patch when we see if SE sinks or swims.
#12 Oct 12 2010 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
SleeplessMickey wrote:
ogboot wrote:
The most fun i've had so far was last nite when I said "***** the leves" and just went exploring. Mined a little, harvested some stuff, found a new camp. It feels a lot better to me than it did a week ago, I don't know what that says about the game though. Still, can't fault the review, seems onpoint for most of it. I almost had an anxiety attack from the interface while trying to find something in the market ward.


Exact same thing for me. I don't think SE intended for the game to be so entirely dependent on leves. Even though that is a major part of the game, originally they had a 48 hour turn around for leves, which forced people to explore and try different aspects of the game. (which they haven't really implemented yet) Just running around with a friend and exploring and gathering was really fun! Can't wait to see what they add in the next major update.



Well see, I'd be okay with that idea if there were more incentive to explore. Right now, the only reasonable reward that one can expect to find is a decent campsite to grind at. There are no NM's, no hidden chests, no real rewards to venturing away from the hubs beyond seeing a couple sights.

Don't get me wrong; I like exploring from time to time too. But I'm oft disappointed that there's nothing to be found at the end of my journeys. It's just that it's one more aspect of the game that feels unfinished, and I don't think it offers any real alternative to grinding leves or mobs. If SE intended to encourage us to do things other then grinding leves, then they really should have added some more incentives to do so.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#13 Oct 12 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
I dont think the ZAM admins like FFXIV much. They left this thread open where FFXIV received 2/5, or 40%, but locked the IGN thread which game FFXIV a 5.5/10, 15% higher at 55%...
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286898209170661940&page=1
#14 Oct 12 2010 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
13 posts
What I find amusing is that how 90% of the population in this forum were aggressively defending this game and flaming the **** out of anyone who said anything remotely negative about the game.

Now almost every review site out there has given FFXIV one of the worst review bashings i've seen in a while, all while complaining of the same things that everyone was flamed for previously.

Now that the reviews are up, all of the fanboys have come to their senses and now accept the insults to the game as legit and have started complaining about the same things they flamed players for previously.

Pathetic.
#15 Oct 12 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
259 posts
Lukiko wrote:
What I find amusing is that how 90% of the population in this forum were aggressively defending this game and flaming the **** out of anyone who said anything remotely negative about the game.

Now almost every review site out there has given FFXIV one of the worst review bashings i've seen in a while, all while complaining of the same things that everyone was flamed for previously.

Now that the reviews are up, all of the fanboys have come to their senses and now accept the insults to the game as legit and have started complaining about the same things they flamed players for previously.

Pathetic.


/shrug

I am really enjoying the game. I am having a lot of fun with crafting and some mining. No doubt there are a lot of issues to fix, but I am still enjoying the game.

I think others would enjoy the game more if they actually played more and read forums/reviews less.

From many reviews, I get the sense they were going into the game expecting something completely different. This doesn't excuse SE from all the UI issues, as those need to be addressed ASAP, but I cant help but feel that if the reviewers played a little longer and got a DoW, DoM, DoL, and DoH to level 20 they would see that the game is better than it first appears.

That being said, the game is currently lacking a ton of content. This can be expected with a new MMO, but maybe not quite this extreme.
#16 Oct 12 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
sideways wrote:
I dont think the ZAM admins like FFXIV much. They left this thread open where FFXIV received 2/5, or 40%, but locked the IGN thread which game FFXIV a 5.5/10, 15% higher at 55%...
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286898209170661940&page=1




I think they locked it because there was one shortly after mine that had both the Gamespy and IGN reviews linked. The admins lock duplicate posts to clear out clutter. The only reason mine wasn't locked was because it came before the aforementioned thread.
#17 Oct 12 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
4 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
Crafting is a chore; starting a quest requires flipping through no less than four menus;


I agree with most of the things in the review, but I had to point out the irony that the writer picked apart SE's lack of English language mastery while presenting us with this gem.

Anyone who went through the re-branding of freaking Shop Rite knows that fewer is the correct word in this instance since we are not measuring liquid. I expect more from someone who tries to immediately demonstrate his superiority by tossing so many 10c words at us in the first paragraph of the review.

The reviews are starting to be a little bit of copy pasta themselves. No real need to keep reading until the next patch when we see if SE sinks or swims.

Pretty desperate to pick apart the reviewer, ain't ya? Especially considering what you said is patently false - the reviewer did not pick apart SE's lack of English mastery. He merely pointed out a few instances of very confusing sentences.

It's also funny that you would misuse the word "irony" in your attempt to cut him low.
#18 Oct 12 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
Exact same thing for me. I don't think SE intended for the game to be so entirely dependent on leves. Even though that is a major part of the game,


they just said in one of their new york reviews the other day that leves are meant specifically for weekly exp BONUSES, and not to power level through the game.
____________________________

#19 Oct 12 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
pixelpop wrote:
Quote:
Exact same thing for me. I don't think SE intended for the game to be so entirely dependent on leves. Even though that is a major part of the game,


they just said in one of their new york reviews the other day that leves are meant specifically for weekly exp BONUSES, and not to power level through the game.



The follow up questions to that statement needs to be: If players were meant to gain exp/sp in a more traditional way (read: party grind) then why is it that mobs 1) Spawn so sparsely, 2) Spawn with such drastically differing levels, 3) Can have their spawns exhausted and 4) Why was it designed that SP gain is so broken (SE seems to be focusing on EXP which can be obtained so many other ways while they playerbase wants more SP).
#20 Oct 12 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
The follow up questions to that statement needs to be: If players were meant to gain exp/sp in a more traditional way (read: party grind) then why is it that mobs 1) Spawn so sparsely, 2) Spawn with such drastically differing levels, 3) Can have their spawns exhausted and 4) Why was it designed that SP gain is so broken (SE seems to be focusing on EXP which can be obtained so many other ways while they playerbase wants more SP).
----------------------------

i agree with all of this, im a level 18 THM and my SP gain is crap while grinding.
____________________________

#21 Oct 12 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
I'm still waiting for Yahtzee to savage it. That's gonna be entertaining.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#22 Oct 12 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
I'm still waiting for Yahtzee to savage it. That's gonna be entertaining.

Oh god, I hadn't even thought of that, it's a JRPG and an MMO. Even if this was God's gift to gaming, he would eviscerate it. The world may well implode from his wrath.

Edited, Oct 12th 2010 9:37pm by Hulan
#23 Oct 12 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
First leves were a primary source of leveling. Then they were so that you could feel like you got something done if only logging in for a few hours a week. Then they were a primary source of leveling, and had their cooldowns reduced. Now they're not a primary source of leveling again. By my count they've changed their mind on that issue at least 3 times in as many months.
____________________________


#24 Oct 12 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
13 posts
I would probably find the game quite enjoyable if there wasnt massive lag between clicking the ui and the action actually taking place.

Right now its unacceptable. I dont know how others are tolerating it.

Whenever they fix the latency issues i'll come back and check it out again.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)