Heres my opinion coming from WoW, Ragnarok, LOTRO, D&D Online, Age of Conan, Warhammer online
This game blows, even compared to the failed Warhammer, I still had fun there and actually leveled 2 chars to 40. If FF14 is your first MMO game, avoid it like a cesspool of AIDS. Heres why:
- Almost non-existent tutorial in-game and official website. You need to rely on your instinct what does which and how things work. This is an impenetrable barrier of entry for a new MMORPG player.
- Marketward system: epic fail, its like ragnarok online where you peddle your gear on the street but instead of double clicking the text balloon, you have to click the person, click the icon, click browse. It takes 1 sec on each step to see what kind of stuff were sold.
- Dependability on crafting to actually gear up, so, you either look for gears in a torturous process of marketward or take up crafting for yourself (more about crafting later). There's this thing called levequest (we'll talk about it later) that sometimes give you random gear, chances of this to happen is 1 in 15 or so.
- Crafting is a tedious and over-complicated process to hide a very simple mechanic beneath. It takes 2-3 minutes to craft one with a chance to fail, materials needed are coming from 10 levels above the gear level, and most importantly, the system won't remember the recipe for you, so you must grab pen and paper to write down the recipe or alt-tab the game (which causes a crash on full screen window) to look online.
- Levequest is an abomination of standard questing in MMORPG. Developer is trying to reinvent the wheel by making sure that you must do couple extra steps before doing quest. First, you must locate a quest hub in a city which then you will need to choose the quest to a maximum of eight (yes you read that right) quests per long period of time. Afterwards, you may walk or teleport (we'll talk about that too) to the camp where the quests are located and start the quest from there. The objectives of the quest is very boring, walk to point A, Kill object B which drops object C for the quest.
- Travel is painfully slow, you can choose to walk or teleport to a previously visited camp using Anima. Each teleport costs 4 Anima and it is regenerated at the rate of 4 hours (?) per 1 Anima. This is translated to 16 hours of cooldown in real time just to get quests from city to camp. Or, you can walk 15 - 45 mins (depends on how far the camp is from the city) for a more ********* option (but hey, you are already a ********* if you play this game, might as well bring it up a notch)
- Gear damage, very common in MMORPG but FF14 added an extra flavor for masochists. Your gear break faster than any online game out there just by grinding monster. I had to repair my gear twice in 5 hours of grinding session at CITY (you can walk or teleport, read travel section) ,thats right, theres no repairer on camp whatsoever. However, SE has this genius idea of armorer profession which able to repair your gear with the right ingredient, which then you must shout around to find one near camp (very rare) or timesinks yourself to get armorer profession. I read another thread where repair cost will hit an astronomically level where basically you must get an armorer to repair your gear.
- Here are more things that you've probably read million times before, terrible UI that designed for console, randomness in skill point gain, very clunky mechanic to form a party, the much needed overhaul chat system and linkshell (**** I think majority of mechanics in FF14 are in need of major overhaul) etc...
There are other things that I want to add but can't remember them, will add them later