Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Servers are up. Market Wards have new names.Follow

#1 Oct 15 2010 at 2:54 AM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
Edit; I don't need to list the wards and what they do because as show in the link from the post below SE has already done so.

The names still do not really tell you what's what... Very disappointing but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Back to the game :p

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 5:00am by Sasorex
____________________________
#2 Oct 15 2010 at 2:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
135 posts
Notes are up.
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=dbb5a630f338f84b0b3583928bd4c19715154f30

Max Crystals/Shards now 9999

Still no extra retainers... sigh
#3preludes, Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:19 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You have to pay for extra retainers, the company is already on a mad march to try save as much money as possible you think they will give you extra ones for free?
#4 Oct 15 2010 at 3:20 AM Rating: Excellent
**
845 posts
preludes wrote:
Quote:
Still no extra retainers... sigh


You have to pay for extra retainers, the company is already on a mad march to try save as much money as possible you think they will give you extra ones for free?


He means you still cant BUY extra retainers....
____________________________

#5 Oct 15 2010 at 3:30 AM Rating: Default
***
1,408 posts
Personally, I love this update.

Makes a few things I been doing EASIER.

Yes its not perfect but give SE time, in two weeks we have had two updates which made certain things easier. Didnt mention when our next update is coming though does it?
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#6 Oct 15 2010 at 3:47 AM Rating: Default
33 posts
These market wards are marginally better than the old ones. Giant FAIL. SE is too incompetent to put in a proper search feature or an Auction House. No retainers either which I'm perfectly willing to pay for. I'm beginning to think everyone at SE shares the same brain to put in this absolutely half assed solution.

Not that I think it will do anything, but I voiced my complaints at http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=902&la=1 suggestions and feedback. The rest of you, also please do this. Fanboys, you are in the wrong forum, go to ffxiv origins.

I want to play this game for a good long time, but SE is making it difficult.

I would say the lack of retainers/inventory space is the one thing seriously compromising my enjoyment of the game.

Also, no market row for raw materials.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 5:51am by NoOneHereAlive
#7 Oct 15 2010 at 3:47 AM Rating: Good
Sorry to fuss about this but naming the market wards will only help so much. I've been browsing them as the servers came online and as they fill up with retainers I'm seeing the same issue over again as before. Despite there being a ward dedicated to clothing, people are still cramming their retainers into this and other wards selling nothing remotely related. One person opened a stall selling nothing but harvested materials in the Clothier's Ward. Battlecraft has few weapons, and more clothcraft or armor. Might take awhile to sort this out but in due time I'm seeing people just crowding into whatever "ward" is likely to get the most attention, that being the weaponry and armory.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#8 Oct 15 2010 at 4:01 AM Rating: Decent
15 posts
what are you guys fussing about, the market wards help out so much. what used to take 30 minutes of painful laggish browsing, i was able to find in 3 minutes. additionally, wards will be less crowded since retainers will be dispersed among the different wards. less crowd = reduced bazaar browsing lag.
#9 Oct 15 2010 at 4:01 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,112 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Sorry to fuss about this but naming the market wards will only help so much. I've been browsing them as the servers came online and as they fill up with retainers I'm seeing the same issue over again as before. Despite there being a ward dedicated to clothing, people are still cramming their retainers into this and other wards selling nothing remotely related. One person opened a stall selling nothing but harvested materials in the Clothier's Ward. Battlecraft has few weapons, and more clothcraft or armor. Might take awhile to sort this out but in due time I'm seeing people just crowding into whatever "ward" is likely to get the most attention, that being the weaponry and armory.


The problem is essentially, because SE charges for retainers (or will charge, anyway...) Average Joe is going to have one retainer. Lets say Average Joe is a Carpenter and has just made a Death Spear+1 which he can sell at a great price. He sticks his retainer in the Battlecraft Ward and puts up for sale his Death Spear+1 and while he's on, he might as well sell all these hive chips, miscellany of twigs, woodworking bits and bobs and anything else he may have acquired on the road to making the Death Spear+1.

He buggers off to bed, and quite quickly someone buys up the Death Spear+1 as they could quickly obtain it through it being sold in the correct ward. Now that the spear is bought, Average Joe's retainer is selling tradecraft materials really and not weapons, so is technically in the incorrect ward. Does he mind? Not really, because he is in bed. Even when he wakes up, he'll probably make a few more Death Spear+1's to sell so his retainer will remain there, selling bags of ***** as well as a couple of spears.

To sum up, what will happen is the Wards commanding the largest single purchase price items (read: latest weapons and armour) will see the lions share of retainers, regardless of what else they are selling.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#10 Oct 15 2010 at 4:02 AM Rating: Decent
15 posts
btw, LET THE DEFLATION BEGIN
#11 Oct 15 2010 at 4:04 AM Rating: Excellent
20 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Sorry to fuss about this but naming the market wards will only help so much. I've been browsing them as the servers came online and as they fill up with retainers I'm seeing the same issue over again as before. Despite there being a ward dedicated to clothing, people are still cramming their retainers into this and other wards selling nothing remotely related. One person opened a stall selling nothing but harvested materials in the Clothier's Ward. Battlecraft has few weapons, and more clothcraft or armor. Might take awhile to sort this out but in due time I'm seeing people just crowding into whatever "ward" is likely to get the most attention, that being the weaponry and armory.


The idea was nice, the result is so bad. I, as Armorer, should divide my products between 5/6 wards, one for helms, one for boots, one for gauntlets ecc. WTF??! Instead Blacksmiths have Battlecraft Ward, Carpenters have Wood Ward and so on.......this is racism XD

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 6:06am by MisterSatan
#12 Oct 15 2010 at 4:08 AM Rating: Default
**
482 posts
Couldn't they just grey out the items in your bazaar that don't match the ward you placed your character/retainer? Or just not let you select those items that don't meet the ward's requirements to place in your bazaar? Seems easy enough to do.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#13 Oct 15 2010 at 4:12 AM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
klausneck wrote:
Couldn't they just grey out the items in your bazaar that don't match the ward you placed your character/retainer? Or just not let you select those items that don't meet the ward's requirements to place in your bazaar? Seems easy enough to do.


So you actually want to restrict the selling process more?
____________________________

#14 Oct 15 2010 at 4:18 AM Rating: Good
20 posts
klausneck wrote:
Couldn't they just grey out the items in your bazaar that don't match the ward you placed your character/retainer? Or just not let you select those items that don't meet the ward's requirements to place in your bazaar? Seems easy enough to do.


Wha?! This is the worst idea I've heard so far LOL
#15 Oct 15 2010 at 4:19 AM Rating: Decent
Kordain wrote:
Lets say Average Joe is a Carpenter and has just made a Death Spear+1 which he can sell at a great price. He sticks his retainer in the Battlecraft Ward and puts up for sale his Death Spear+1 and while he's on, he might as well sell all these hive chips, miscellany of twigs, woodworking bits and bobs and anything else he may have acquired on the road to making the Death Spear+1


That might've worked at first, but the problem is that people are sticking retainers in areas not even remotely related to what's being sold there. For example, why does the Battlecraft Ward, which should specialize in melee/striking weapons, contain someone selling your average moko grass and cotton bolls? Like someone said above, the idea was nice but they implemented it wrong. Had there been a search function (I'm still curious as to why this wasn't added yet.) it may make it easier. As it is now, you may be able to find a majority of equipment you may be looking for in a better spot, you're still going to eventually have to go through every ward if you want to find an ever-so-elusive item that others may not craft much of.

You could be looking for that Death Spear +1 that Average Joe is selling but he's not in the Weapons ward, but rather off in the carpentry ward selling his unused materials. If you want to buy Average Joe's Death Spear +1 you'll have to now travel to the carpentry ward. Oh but what's this? You don't have any clue that its there, guess you're outta luck unless you manage to stumble upon it.

Like I had said, in the end I'm only seeing people using the wards others are likely to go to most (Weapons and clothing in particular.) and cramming their retainers in there to sell the useless junk they couldn't sell before. Why? Because majority of customers are going to come here first, and if they happen upon your retainer they might just buy the item. This may become a norm and people will come to these wards looking for those items specifically.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 3:24am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#16 Oct 15 2010 at 4:20 AM Rating: Good
**
482 posts
Not saying that at all. If SE's intent was to have folks only sell certain items in certain wards, why didn't they just limit what you could pull out of your inventory? I don't like the system anymore than the next guy, just making an observation.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#17 Oct 15 2010 at 4:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:

That might've worked at first, but the problem is


Maybe I didnt explain myself very well, but that was what I was getting at :) Basically, only having 1 retainer (because Average Joe isnt going to buy another) and multiple wards means that people wont sell in the correct ward. Its so easy to see, I don't get why SE can't realise that it just wont work :/

To make things even worse, when they split categories they made way too many, and with unneedingly confusing names to boot. Why does anyone who makes Armor have to split their wares between 4 wards? What would be wrong with a Goldsmith Ward, Blacksmith Ward, Alchemist Ward etc? Once again, SE over complicates something that requires simple solutions.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#18pec, Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:05 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) COMPLETE FAILURE. THE WARDS ARE A MESS. STILL TAKE TOO LONG TO FIND SOMETHING, TOTAL TRIAL AND ERROR. THE WARDS ARE NOT CATEGORIZED PROPERLY. NOW SELLERS ARE NOT EVEN SURE WHERE TO SELL WHAT AND WHATS THEIR TOP PRIORITY WITH A MYRIAD OF GOODS FOR SALE.
#19 Oct 15 2010 at 5:12 AM Rating: Decent
I love how stupid some people are..... if you read the patch notes SE stats

"We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ."


Sorry to all the fat people SE is giving you your cake but your gonna have to wait a few weeks to eat it.



Edited, Oct 15th 2010 7:13am by Ap0stle
____________________________
"Reason itself is fallible, and this fallibility must find a place in our logic."
-Nicola Abbagnano-
#20 Oct 15 2010 at 5:21 AM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Ap0stle wrote:
I love how stupid some people are..... if you read the patch notes SE stats

"We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ."


Sorry to all the fat people SE is giving you your cake but your gonna have to wait a few weeks to eat it.



Edited, Oct 15th 2010 7:13am by Ap0stle


Actually SE needs to get those changes out in less than a week, when the majority of players have to make the choice of quitting the game or paying to play it.
____________________________

#21 Oct 15 2010 at 5:24 AM Rating: Decent
40 posts
pec wrote:
COMPLETE FAILURE. THE WARDS ARE A MESS. STILL TAKE TOO LONG TO FIND SOMETHING, TOTAL TRIAL AND ERROR. THE WARDS ARE NOT CATEGORIZED PROPERLY. NOW SELLERS ARE NOT EVEN SURE WHERE TO SELL WHAT AND WHATS THEIR TOP PRIORITY WITH A MYRIAD OF GOODS FOR SALE.
MY SUBSCRIPTION REMAINS CANCELLED =(. DISAPPOINTMENT TOTALLY


No sir, you are a mess.
#22pec, Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:28 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) YOU ARE THE MESS
#23 Oct 15 2010 at 5:36 AM Rating: Default
15 posts
pec wrote:
COMPLETE FAILURE. THE WARDS ARE A MESS. STILL TAKE TOO LONG TO FIND SOMETHING, TOTAL TRIAL AND ERROR. THE WARDS ARE NOT CATEGORIZED PROPERLY. NOW SELLERS ARE NOT EVEN SURE WHERE TO SELL WHAT AND WHATS THEIR TOP PRIORITY WITH A MYRIAD OF GOODS FOR SALE.
MY SUBSCRIPTION REMAINS CANCELLED =(. DISAPPOINTMENT TOTALLY


U MAD?
#24pec, Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:39 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) COMMUNIST REGIME LACKEYS
#25iamdev, Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:40 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) THIS IS SPARTAH, AND YOU ARE THE MESS.
#26 Oct 15 2010 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
The wards still suck, you still can't find anything. You still have to physically move your character and target individual retainers in a sea of NPCs and players to even see what they have available. You still have to move between 'zones' to shop. You still probably need to take your character to all 3 cities. Inefficiency at its best.

All players wanted was a way to quickly and effectively search for what they needed, buy it, then get back to grinding dodos/marmots/bats/leather/cloth/harvest points/etc. This is so far off a viable solution its unbelievable.
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#27 Oct 15 2010 at 5:59 AM Rating: Decent
15 posts
i must say, crystals are still a ***** to find. any decently priced fire/lightning crystals get snatched right away. crystals are going to inflate like crazy... armor/weps/tools on the other hand seem to be deflating.
#28 Oct 15 2010 at 6:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
In general this should cause some deflation. Obviously it will take a couple of days for the new market zones to work themselves out - but the fact that you have a slightly higher chance of being able to compare "the going rate" before setting your sell price, means you wil likely price it cheaper than the competition.

SE is still working on their search function. I figured once this is completed we will truly see prices drop out as the real undercutting will begin.



#29 Oct 15 2010 at 6:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
*
106 posts
ReinaDazzle wrote:
i must say, crystals are still a ***** to find. any decently priced fire/lightning crystals get snatched right away. crystals are going to inflate like crazy... armor/weps/tools on the other hand seem to be deflating.


Well that was bound to happen no matter what kind of economic system was in place. Just supply and demand at work.
#30 Oct 15 2010 at 6:58 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
270 posts
ReinaDazzle wrote:
btw, LET THE DEFLATION BEGIN

thank the gods!
____________________________
Refreshed ¦ Reborn
Shori Ohrensztein ¦ Ragnarok ¦ ACN
Reebie Baramnesra ¦ Midgardsomr ¦ MRD
#31 Oct 15 2010 at 6:58 AM Rating: Decent
Please understand that this game has only been out for less than a month. It takes games to build their community up and figure things out, sure the UI needs a little work, but a least they are making an effort on a weekly stand point and letting us know they understand what they need to improve. If you cant wait a week during your free trial period than you dont deserve to play mmo's. They are a corporation, give it time, they have acontract with the game until it's able to walk on its own. We as a community need to be in the foprums on the feedback section giving actual feedback and not blind putdowns with no validity. They are trying and it's a push in the right direction. If you dont have the time to wait for the game to smooth out, leave it and dont voice your opinion about it to people who obviously dont care about your existence in the game. This is a crucial time in the opening of a game and they are making all the right steps so far as listening to the people. Most companies dont. Just be patient and wait a week and just level like normal.
#32 Oct 15 2010 at 7:11 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
AlejandroJames wrote:
Please understand that this game has only been out for less than a month. It takes games to build their community up and figure things out, sure the UI needs a little work, but a least they are making an effort on a weekly stand point and letting us know they understand what they need to improve. If you cant wait a week during your free trial period than you dont deserve to play mmo's. They are a corporation, give it time, they have acontract with the game until it's able to walk on its own. We as a community need to be in the foprums on the feedback section giving actual feedback and not blind putdowns with no validity. They are trying and it's a push in the right direction. If you dont have the time to wait for the game to smooth out, leave it and dont voice your opinion about it to people who obviously dont care about your existence in the game. This is a crucial time in the opening of a game and they are making all the right steps so far as listening to the people. Most companies dont. Just be patient and wait a week and just level like normal.


Expecting a product you paid for to be at certain standards is not being unreasonable. Your argument only works if we were currently not paying a monthly subscription rate.

As for the time frame, most of the issues clogging up the front page of this forum right now are issues we brought up months ago during beta.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 9:11am by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#33 Oct 15 2010 at 7:24 AM Rating: Decent
Whales wrote:
AlejandroJames wrote:
Please understand that this game has only been out for less than a month. It takes games to build their community up and figure things out, sure the UI needs a little work, but a least they are making an effort on a weekly stand point and letting us know they understand what they need to improve. If you cant wait a week during your free trial period than you dont deserve to play mmo's. They are a corporation, give it time, they have acontract with the game until it's able to walk on its own. We as a community need to be in the foprums on the feedback section giving actual feedback and not blind putdowns with no validity. They are trying and it's a push in the right direction. If you dont have the time to wait for the game to smooth out, leave it and dont voice your opinion about it to people who obviously dont care about your existence in the game. This is a crucial time in the opening of a game and they are making all the right steps so far as listening to the people. Most companies dont. Just be patient and wait a week and just level like normal.


Expecting a product you paid for to be at certain standards is not being unreasonable. Your argument only works if we were currently not paying a monthly subscription rate.

As for the time frame, most of the issues clogging up the front page of this forum right now are issues we brought up months ago during beta.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 9:11am by Whales

well i havent paid a monthly subscription yet, because the first month is free, on the other hand, I study video game design at school and making the implementations of the kind a community wants is easy, it takes time balancing them out and taking in all the feedback and making the best possible decision for your concept of how the game is supposed to be ran through sony's eyes with a players inspiration, so my argument is valid because I actually know the industry im going to be in less than a year from now. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but to just understand their are more elements than its broken and needs to be fixed.
#34 Oct 15 2010 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
742 posts
Quote:
Couldn't they just grey out the items in your bazaar that don't match the ward you placed your character/retainer? Or just not let you select those items that don't meet the ward's requirements to place in your bazaar? Seems easy enough to do.


Such a horrible idea. I would have to have 5 different retainers just to sell stuff as an armorsmith. As it is now, weavers, tanners, and armorsmiths are going to be stuck with on average higher taxes unless you just sell one type of armor or get multiple retainers.
____________________________
Drake Wulfric - Selbina Server
#35 Oct 15 2010 at 7:34 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
33 posts
I am going to assume that those of you demanding a search function don't really know how database searches work. For an auction house implementation, it's a fairly simple process because everything is centralized. With retainers, a search will have to return not only the name of the NPC as well as the location (this is in addition to the item information such as amount and price). I imagine just those two additional parameters will make each search a huge burden to the database itself. It's not just as easy as putting in the ability to search, you also have to factor in the response time and the overhead to the database.
#36 Oct 15 2010 at 7:43 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
People are still piling into ward one and two sigh...

But over all much much better than it was, just don't expect to find weapons that easy :P

Also I'm an all armor crafter having separate wards for each slot is just silly, at the very least it should be all merged or better yet categorized into armor type, hopefully that will happen, rather have 3 retainers than 6 just to sell all my goodies lol.
#37 Oct 15 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
28 posts
AlejandroJames wrote:
well i havent paid a monthly subscription yet, because the first month is free, on the other hand, I study video game design at school and making the implementations of the kind a community wants is easy, it takes time balancing them out and taking in all the feedback and making the best possible decision for your concept of how the game is supposed to be ran through sony's eyes with a players inspiration, so my argument is valid because I actually know the industry im going to be in less than a year from now. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but to just understand their are more elements than its broken and needs to be fixed.


You're **** right it's more than that. It's not broken and needs to be fixed. It's an incomplete game that needs to be finished before being sold to people.

Whether or not you've paid a monthly subscription is irrelevant, this game was not ready to be shipped in its current state. We paid money for a game that should have been given at least another six months of development time and now Sqaure Enix expects us to continue paying for it while they finish the game. FFXIV has been live for a few weeks now and there are still zones we can't walk into and zones with no quest content. We still don't have chocobos and airships. We don't even have a friggin' mail system holy crap it's an MMO without a mail system someone explain how this is acceptable.

Congratulations on video game school, though.
#38 Oct 15 2010 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
***
2,208 posts
I would be happy with this:
Teleport to confusing named ward, which we will all eventually learn what goes where, and really if your not willing to learn something new, good luck with life. At this point you can now browse freely or go talk to an NPC behind a desk. Talking to said NPC will open a search box where you enter the item you desire. At this point all retainers carrying such item will have their names turn red, now go browse those retainers.
____________________________

FFXI: Maddog - 99 BST, BLM, RDM, WAR


#39 Oct 15 2010 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
30 posts
atsalaz wrote:
I am going to assume that those of you demanding a search function don't really know how database searches work. For an auction house implementation, it's a fairly simple process because everything is centralized. With retainers, a search will have to return not only the name of the NPC as well as the location (this is in addition to the item information such as amount and price). I imagine just those two additional parameters will make each search a huge burden to the database itself. It's not just as easy as putting in the ability to search, you also have to factor in the response time and the overhead to the database.


I feel that SE's server's should handle db queries just fine, I DO know how databases work and even with retainers it's just an additional column or 2. you say that the retainers aren't a central db but at the end of the day that's exactly what they are, server side a large portion of the game is just databases. Yes, there is overhead but if SE didn't factor in enough infrastructure on their end for queries like this then we have much bigger problems coming in the future.
#40 Oct 15 2010 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
Kinbote wrote:
AlejandroJames wrote:
well i havent paid a monthly subscription yet, because the first month is free, on the other hand, I study video game design at school and making the implementations of the kind a community wants is easy, it takes time balancing them out and taking in all the feedback and making the best possible decision for your concept of how the game is supposed to be ran through sony's eyes with a players inspiration, so my argument is valid because I actually know the industry im going to be in less than a year from now. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but to just understand their are more elements than its broken and needs to be fixed.


You're **** right it's more than that. It's not broken and needs to be fixed. It's an incomplete game that needs to be finished before being sold to people.

Whether or not you've paid a monthly subscription is irrelevant, this game was not ready to be shipped in its current state. We paid money for a game that should have been given at least another six months of development time and now Sqaure Enix expects us to continue paying for it while they finish the game. FFXIV has been live for a few weeks now and there are still zones we can't walk into and zones with no quest content. We still don't have chocobos and airships. We don't even have a friggin' mail system holy crap it's an MMO without a mail system someone explain how this is acceptable.

Congratulations on video game school, though.


Thanks for the congrats, lol, I understand about having a game finished before it's shipped, (this is my lat point by the way, have to go to school in a bit) but at the same respect, what game has been finished that you play online the day its shipped. Our society wants everything now and so video game companies have had to ship games due to deadlines and address the problems as they come up. It's unfortunately the way the industry is now because of the internet and how much easier it is to fix a progress and let us test it till it's at its full potential which will never happen with an online game. No matter how many expansions a game has, it will never be complete if it's online. Thats why they drop ship it and say the game works but we can improve it, but hey, we met all of our deadlines and we have a functional game as in mechanics, UI is a different story and that's another animal, but i'm sure we wont be disapointed if we stick around. FFxI was the most challenging mmo I have played so far next to eq1, so I am waiting till the game gets to that point and i See it's potential. This game is limitless with character combo's and stats. You can literally make any character you have ever wanted, it's revolutionary to the mmo community and one of the only mainstream games to do it. Maybe i'm biased, but I have played every mmo out with respect to eve and SWG, and it's been a pretty good launch as far as sqaure's response time and functionality of the game. Going to school now guys, thanks for the feedback on my posts as well as the market wards, if we make a decent amount of valid feedback square will listen, i can gurauntee that
#41 Oct 15 2010 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
30 posts
I disagree. I understand that people want their cake and they want it now, but this game wasn't pushed to retail by the community; investors and yearly financial statements pushed this game to release. Game goes live on Sept. 30th and SE's fiscal year begins on Oct. 1st, think that's coincidence?

On topic though, I tried to find something in the wards last nite and it was a total disaster. I did find some nifty items while browsing so I didn't leave empty handed, but I certainly didn't find what I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to play with the new patch but I'm praying that it will help the issue.
#42 Oct 15 2010 at 8:18 AM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Kinbote wrote:
AlejandroJames wrote:
well i havent paid a monthly subscription yet, because the first month is free, on the other hand, I study video game design at school and making the implementations of the kind a community wants is easy, it takes time balancing them out and taking in all the feedback and making the best possible decision for your concept of how the game is supposed to be ran through sony's eyes with a players inspiration, so my argument is valid because I actually know the industry im going to be in less than a year from now. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but to just understand their are more elements than its broken and needs to be fixed.


You're **** right it's more than that. It's not broken and needs to be fixed. It's an incomplete game that needs to be finished before being sold to people.

Whether or not you've paid a monthly subscription is irrelevant, this game was not ready to be shipped in its current state. We paid money for a game that should have been given at least another six months of development time and now Sqaure Enix expects us to continue paying for it while they finish the game. FFXIV has been live for a few weeks now and there are still zones we can't walk into and zones with no quest content. We still don't have chocobos and airships. We don't even have a friggin' mail system holy crap it's an MMO without a mail system someone explain how this is acceptable.

Congratulations on video game school, though.


LOL
____________________________

#43 Oct 15 2010 at 8:31 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Here is the thing.. there is an expression around here we use all the time.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

There was nothing wrong with an Auction House style exchange system, if fact most prefer it. It's efficient. It would work wonders in conjunction with bazaars for a very realistic economy. Many games played now both paid and f2p have embraced the efficiency of an Auction style market system and with the real life popularity of ebay most gamers are very familiar with its inner workings. (ie how to search for things they want in an elaborate AH style site)

While the Market Wards are very cool and in theory great in cutting down player based bazaar gathering in popular areas they do not live up to the theory. For one, too many windows and too much time sifting to find the one item you are looking for creates the same bottlenecked player bazaar system of old. Nothing has improved nor changed, in fact we are back stepping here and it will cause players to leave this wonderful game.

This brings me to the point. Why go back in time to a less efficient way of doing business when the current trend is better, more accepted, popular and desired? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why try and mess with a very well established and popular trade system if .. it works....

this is like going from Wall Street to the Streets of Rome...... i want to take a step forward not a step back.
#44 Oct 15 2010 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
*
189 posts
I dont understand why they are going to all this effort {well i guess changing the market ward names requires some effort} when eventually after it all settles down there will be an AH with a search function.
____________________________
FFXI Alexandar 51 SUM
Ramuh 50 SUM 53 THF
WoW Malygos 80MAG 60 WLK
The forgtn cst 80 MAG 73 WLK

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2494669
Retainer: Weaponsandshields
#45 Oct 15 2010 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
AlejandroJames wrote:


Thanks for the congrats, lol, I understand about having a game finished before it's shipped, (this is my lat point by the way, have to go to school in a bit) but at the same respect, what game has been finished that you play online the day its shipped. Our society wants everything now and so video game companies have had to ship games due to deadlines and address the problems as they come up. It's unfortunately the way the industry is now because of the internet and how much easier it is to fix a progress and let us test it till it's at its full potential which will never happen with an online game. No matter how many expansions a game has, it will never be complete if it's online. Thats why they drop ship it and say the game works but we can improve it, but hey, we met all of our deadlines and we have a functional game as in mechanics, UI is a different story and that's another animal, but i'm sure we wont be disapointed if we stick around. FFxI was the most challenging mmo I have played so far next to eq1, so I am waiting till the game gets to that point and i See it's potential. This game is limitless with character combo's and stats. You can literally make any character you have ever wanted, it's revolutionary to the mmo community and one of the only mainstream games to do it. Maybe i'm biased, but I have played every mmo out with respect to eve and SWG, and it's been a pretty good launch as far as sqaure's response time and functionality of the game. Going to school now guys, thanks for the feedback on my posts as well as the market wards, if we make a decent amount of valid feedback square will listen, i can gurauntee that


ogboot wrote:
I disagree. I understand that people want their cake and they want it now, but this game wasn't pushed to retail by the community; investors and yearly financial statements pushed this game to release. Game goes live on Sept. 30th and SE's fiscal year begins on Oct. 1st, think that's coincidence?

On topic though, I tried to find something in the wards last nite and it was a total disaster. I did find some nifty items while browsing so I didn't leave empty handed, but I certainly didn't find what I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to play with the new patch but I'm praying that it will help the issue.


This is true, but he's right. It's because people want their game right now. It's a two way street. People don't want to have to wait. They want to play it now. Corporations want to maximize their profits, and they need to respond to customer desires to do that, which means pushing out games before they are fully complete.

What we ended up getting as a result of these two things is mmos being released with a lot of issues. That's how our soceity in this particular aspect has developed.

I've done a fair bit of game design as a hobbyist and he's right about a lot of what he says, although I have to say, when people personally know the people they're dealing with, it makes a big difference in how they voice their concerns than when they're dealing with a faceless corporation. History has shown us that SE is one of the more faceless of the MMO making corps, though it seems they're doing better with this title than FFXI.

The reality is, we can't have our cake and eat it too, as much as we might want to. That being said, it still doesn't change the fact that things in the game right now can be very frusterating for some people. I do agree that the launch has not been overly worse than any other big title launch in the past, however the MMO community has developed since then, and expectations are higher now, and reviews and complaints are reflecting that. Depending on how things pan out, this may be a pivotal point in encouraging other companies to up their game on releasing new MMOs, without so many bugs and problems. However people are as people are, and though such a thing would definitely reduce complaints and bad reviews, it wouldn't eliminate them. I've already stated why, the MMO community will develop and expectations will continue to rise. So instead of people griping about MMO-X having too many bugs and problems compared to MM-Y and MMO-Z, they will be saying it doesn't have enough features as MMO-Y and MMO-Z.

The best I can suggest to anyone is to try and find some good in the game. If you can find some, then consider hanging around and waiting for them to fix the errors. Recent communication from Devs and Execs have indicated they have every intention of addressing player concerns this time around, though perhaps not in the way everyone likes. If you can't find any good in the game, then it's probably time to find something else to play, at least for a while. Maybe come back in 3-6 months time and see how things are then. I've done it before with games, and often enough there's been changes that have encouraged me to play for a while again.

As far as todays changes with the market wards, keep in mind that it's step 1 in a multi step process. I very much encourage reading the dev and exec statements given here if you haven't yet, as it clears up a lot of things about where they will be taking the game in the next couple of months... the vast majority of it dealing with current complaints made by large portions of the community.

Take heart all... there are good things yet to come :)

____________________________
http://www.pbpmap.com/ - play by post rpgs at their best!


#46 Oct 15 2010 at 9:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,139 posts
They should instill a Ward Director NPC who evaluates the items you are going to sell and then based on % of classification or type, can then determine what the best or most suitable ward for your retainer should be. Perhaps give a top three based on your items.
____________________________
Lumia Goldenheart - Balmung
50x19
#47 Oct 15 2010 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
Kordain wrote:
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Sorry to fuss about this but naming the market wards will only help so much. I've been browsing them as the servers came online and as they fill up with retainers I'm seeing the same issue over again as before. Despite there being a ward dedicated to clothing, people are still cramming their retainers into this and other wards selling nothing remotely related. One person opened a stall selling nothing but harvested materials in the Clothier's Ward. Battlecraft has few weapons, and more clothcraft or armor. Might take awhile to sort this out but in due time I'm seeing people just crowding into whatever "ward" is likely to get the most attention, that being the weaponry and armory.


The problem is essentially, because SE charges for retainers (or will charge, anyway...) Average Joe is going to have one retainer. Lets say Average Joe is a Carpenter and has just made a Death Spear+1 which he can sell at a great price. He sticks his retainer in the Battlecraft Ward and puts up for sale his Death Spear+1 and while he's on, he might as well sell all these hive chips, miscellany of twigs, woodworking bits and bobs and anything else he may have acquired on the road to making the Death Spear+1.

He buggers off to bed, and quite quickly someone buys up the Death Spear+1 as they could quickly obtain it through it being sold in the correct ward. Now that the spear is bought, Average Joe's retainer is selling tradecraft materials really and not weapons, so is technically in the incorrect ward. Does he mind? Not really, because he is in bed. Even when he wakes up, he'll probably make a few more Death Spear+1's to sell so his retainer will remain there, selling bags of sh*te as well as a couple of spears.

To sum up, what will happen is the Wards commanding the largest single purchase price items (read: latest weapons and armour) will see the lions share of retainers, regardless of what else they are selling.


I believe you're absolutely correct. In time people will get better at organizing their retainers and placing them in the best spots. Additionally, when he is selling his Death Spear, he will likely have other goods that are related to that particular item, which he can put up for sale. Sure it might be the wrong spot, but the target demographic for those related goods might just need those items for their own crafting too.

Of course, there will still be other unrelated goods in the retainer, but at least this is a step in the right direction.
#48 Oct 15 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
*
62 posts
Wards are a small help, but the two big changes that will kickstart server trading are 1. More Retainers 2. Search Function.

Categorized Wards is only groundwork.

hanibalz wrote:
I dont understand why they are going to all this effort {well i guess changing the market ward names requires some effort} when eventually after it all settles down there will be an AH with a search function.


Not everyone goes into the wards looking for somethign specific.

AH = internet shopping. You must know exactly what you want to type in the search engine, and then you just look for the lowest price. If you already know you want exactly an Intel i5 750, there's no real reason to look at who sells it or where, you just want lowest price.

Retainers = browsing. Someone may be looking to just make money, and he has no plans of actually using what he buys, or he just wants some good deals. Quite a few people in my guild supplement their crafting income by browsing through retainers and just looking for underpriced goods, and then either crafting those goods into a final product for sale at a normal price (thus higher profit for them) or getting those goods to some crafter who can use them.

EG a Blacksmith may be in the wards looking for Iron Rivets for Bronze Saws...but he comes across a retainer selling Undyed Canvas Cloth for dirt cheap, 5k a pop. This is a major component cost for Birdsbeak Hammers...so he changes his plans and decides to mass manufacture Birdsbeak Hammers for a better profit. In a purely search-AH system, this situation can never happen because a search for Iron Rivets will never yield "BTW, here's a great deal on Undyed Canvas!".

But they should get the wards working for players who want something specific first, the random browser looking for deals on just anything is definitely the minority.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 12:44pm by ixion13
#49 Oct 15 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
What people who care need to do is NOT buy the moko grass from the person who is selling only gathered materials in the Battlecraft ward. Eventually that person will realize their stuff isnt selling. And people who want to buy moko grass are still more likely to buy it from the retainers in the proper ward since buyers will probly look in the correct ward first.

But it is an issue that my retainer is selling 5 willow bows in Battlecraft ward right now. When he sells out and if I'm not playing or am in a different city and dont know he sold out, then I'll look like someone NOT using the wards correctly since I'm also selling dyes until I can get back on and to my retainer.

If we could priortize it would work. For instance, I'm selling in Battlecrfat because of the bows. I set it so that when/if they sell out my retainer automatically moves to my next selected ward (in my case would be the Chigurians (sp?) ward since he has dyes). Letting people select a ward, then if they want to select a secondary ward that their retainer would head to automatically and only if they sold out of said type of items would help with the "I'm not playing right now and am in the wrong ward because I sold out of the right stuff" issue. Could be an option of like "Seconday ward for retainer" when talking to them and you'd have to set the terms for them to move (which in my case would be something like "Sell out of "Willow Bows", move to "selected secondary" ward).



Edited, Oct 15th 2010 1:22pm by PinkMermaid
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#50 Oct 25 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Default
14 posts
Here is my thing. I noticed the improvements already .. slow going and not quite as helpful as I had hoped. I personally do not buy from retainers who are in the wrong ward unless I can not find what I am looking for in the right ward. Why because even though I think the new system sucks, I will support it anyway I can, I like the game and I enjoy playing it.

I will never fully understand the lack of AH when .. it works... in any game out there, it works.

I understand that the lack of the AH draws this archaic form of trade back into the main stream. So work with what you got ..eh?

If more people will be willing to do this, buy from and list in main area first .. it might help player side sorting of this awful system. Me every day i checked my retainer and when the item in question sold .. i moved my little guy to the right place.. my stuff sold fairly quickly and did not take much effort to move him around...
but!!!!!!!!!....................

Waiting for search feature...
waiting for value feature.. why?

CUZ IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE MARKET VALUE IS HOW THE (BLEEP) AM I GOING TO SELL IT!


*ahem*

would like to direct everyone's attention to ffxiv.yg.com http://ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?srv=6 listed on either this site or enzorapedia..

This will help anyway with fair market values ..

the only other way I could possibly see this market ward improving to surpass an AH style economy is if they open a window when bartering for FMV of items. This however would require such an intense amount of code that I doubt anything of the sort will come into view anytime soon. And also, the ideal of being able to list cross ward.... I do not mind buying a retainer .. but why should I buy one for every ward when I can go to ANY...ANY!!!!!!!! other game and list in multiple areas for one low price .. to list in every ward would cost me, THE PLAYER.. well over $20 a month..

DUDE I can play LOTRO for free, or even pay and get perks for $10 (example) same with wow, evercrack, atlantica, allods, yada yada the list goes on...
but to have a retainer in every ward.. and have to pay for each of them .. come on.. seriously? (rolls eyes)

SO TELL YOUR FRIENDS.. and lets try (i suppose) to throw SE a bone and get our FMV from external sites. like Yellow Gremlin.
If this is going to work, its actually going to take player effort to make it work..

Way to go SE .. shove us back into the dark ages with a half-a** economy market... ~sigh.
(mumbles) market wards went out with the dark ages .. (mumble grumble mumble)
#51 Oct 25 2010 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
I thought I'd check in after a week or so.

Market Wards are still total fail. Searched through countless retainers selling nothing but crap in the Battlecraft ward trying to find a new spear.

Found a new Hatchet tho >.>

____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)