Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Servers are up. Market Wards have new names.Follow

#52 Oct 25 2010 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
I thought I'd check in after a week or so.

Market Wards are still total fail. Searched through countless retainers selling nothing but crap in the Battlecraft ward trying to find a new spear.

Found a new Hatchet tho >.>




Having just spent an hour trying to find a bronze square, I hole-heatedly agree. At this rate I'm going to start having dreams that SE announced wards were being removed from the game and an AH being added. I'm already having nightmares about trying to find a bronze pickax in labyrinthine market wards full of Tarus selling nothing but moko grass and ice crystals..
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#53 Oct 25 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
mistrik wrote:
I'm already having nightmares about trying to find a bronze pickax in labyrinthine market wards full of Tarus selling nothing but moko grass and ice crystals..


i lol'd.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#54 Oct 25 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
ixion13 wrote:

hanibalz wrote:
I dont understand why they are going to all this effort {well i guess changing the market ward names requires some effort} when eventually after it all settles down there will be an AH with a search function.


Not everyone goes into the wards looking for somethign specific.

AH = internet shopping. You must know exactly what you want to type in the search engine...

Retainers = browsing. Someone may be looking to just make money, and he has no plans of actually using what he buys, or he just wants some good deals. Quite a few people in my guild supplement their crafting income by browsing


You can browse auction houses, I do it all the time -- just browse by category, work your way down a list, or look randomly. You do not have to know exactly what you want; your statement is simply inaccurate.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#55 Oct 25 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
It's kinda sad, how much time and effort that at this point, even players are putting into trying to come up with ways to make the system work.

You have all these suggestions on all these things that need to be done to the market wards to make them, at best, almost as good as what an AH could be.

So not only is SE wasting time, money, developers, and resources trying to reinvent the wheel, but now we're doing it too.

The wheel was fine. We do not need to invest all this time and money trying to figure out a new way to move our car, for no other reason than "Everyone else uses wheels and we want to be different".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#56 Oct 25 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
54 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
It's kinda sad, how much time and effort that at this point, even players are putting into trying to come up with ways to make the system work.

You have all these suggestions on all these things that need to be done to the market wards to make them, at best, almost as good as what an AH could be.

So not only is SE wasting time, money, developers, and resources trying to reinvent the wheel, but now we're doing it too.

The wheel was fine. We do not need to invest all this time and money trying to figure out a new way to move our car, for no other reason than "Everyone else uses wheels and we want to be different".


But... But... I WANTED a hovercraft!


#57 Oct 25 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
247 posts
How about...

Your retainer is in all wards they need to be based on what you have up for sale?

If you have a Bow, 2x Hauby and some Moko Grass - Your retainer would be in 3 wards at the same time. In each ward, only the items that should be sold in that ward would be selectable. Other items for sale would be displayed, but not available for purchase. If one of these items is clicked, the retainer advises the player where to meet them in order to acquire the item?

That way, I know I can go to the ward that is supposed to have weapons and every single retainer will have a weapon of some sort. If the retainer also has some Moko Grass, I'll see that they have it - But I'll have to take 10sec to go to the appropriate ward. If a retainer does not have an item that belongs in a particular ward, the retainer is simply not displayed in that ward. This way, you just put your crap up for sale and the game puts your retainer where they belong...

To further add to this, the wards should be broken up by Craft. Everything that I want/need for Carpentry - be it materials, parts, tools or finished products should be available in the Carpentry ward. Each item type has a designation of sorts already. They should be searchable by these designations...

I want to be able to go into the Carpentry Ward, advise a Ward Manager that I am in search of "Tools". So each retainer who is holding Carpentry Tools will be highlighted. What would be even cooler is if I could /sh in the ward "Tools" and all the retainers with tools signal/emote - but that's just wishful thinking.

The above suggestion would not entirely function like an AH, pseudo-force items to be in the correct ward, allow for relatively easy 'searching' and still allow the browsers to browse away!

Thoughts?

-Kash
____________________________
I "BAM!" therefor I AM!
#58 Oct 25 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
551 posts
atsalaz wrote:
I am going to assume that those of you demanding a search function don't really know how database searches work. For an auction house implementation, it's a fairly simple process because everything is centralized. With retainers, a search will have to return not only the name of the NPC as well as the location (this is in addition to the item information such as amount and price). I imagine just those two additional parameters will make each search a huge burden to the database itself. It's not just as easy as putting in the ability to search, you also have to factor in the response time and the overhead to the database.


And yet Funcom has had that very system ( player shop terminals searchable through central terminals placed in major cities that tell you all the items available you're looking for, the name of the person selling them, and the coordinates to get to their shop ALL OVER THE PLANET not just in some "maket wards" )in Anarchy Online since 2002 and their database hasn't blown up.

Yeah your right, too much for SE to manage in 2010.

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 3:54pm by Zorvan

Kashius wrote:
How about...

Your retainer is in all wards they need to be based on what you have up for sale?

If you have a Bow, 2x Hauby and some Moko Grass - Your retainer would be in 3 wards at the same time. In each ward, only the items that should be sold in that ward would be selectable. Other items for sale would be displayed, but not available for purchase. If one of these items is clicked, the retainer advises the player where to meet them in order to acquire the item?


Thoughts?

-Kash


That's easy. SE wants you to BUY those extra retainers so you can be in more than one ward at once. Ain't gonna happen. When a company tries to force me to do something, I either find a way around it ( like all the people sitting around AFK in the towns with their personal bazaar up ) or I leave. I'll be happy to buy a retainer for extra storage, I will not buy a retainer simply because SE uses greed to determine their ingame mechanics.

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 3:57pm by Zorvan

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 4:00pm by Zorvan
____________________________


[ffxivsig]1815523[/ffxivsig]
#59 Oct 25 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Zorvan wrote:
That's easy. SE wants you to BUY those extra retainers so you can be in more than one ward at once. Ain't gonna happen. When a company tries to force me to do something, I either find a way around it ( like all the people sitting around AFK in the towns with their personal bazaar up ) or I leave. I'll be happy to buy a retainer for extra storage, I will not buy a retainer simply because SE uses greed to determine their ingame mechanics.


Yeah; I love supporting a company by buying their merchandise, but being FORCED to buy something to make up for functionality that is intentionally NOT in the game is another matter.

It would be one thing if this was a F2P game like DDO or something where I'm buying the ability to access a "premium feature", but when I'm ALREADY paying a subscription for a game (and yes, I know someone is about to be all like "But you're not paying! It's still free!", **** you. You know what I mean and you're being a smartass), I expect to have full access to the game.

I guess this just goes back to micro transactions. And I -hate- micro transactions.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#60 Oct 26 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
I cling to my hope for a AH like a comfy blankie. Its not like that means no more bazaars. Just that those of us looking for a new piece of armor it doesn't need to be a all day affair.
____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)