Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Staff cuts to blame?Follow

#1 Oct 15 2010 at 3:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Read this earlier and if true it explains a lot of things and honestly put the majority of the blame for the state the game was released in at one mans feet. With people like this in charge I'm so happy I was unable to get hooked into this game..

Quote:
SquareEnix laid off 10% of its workforce back in 2nd quarter of this year (ostensibly during XIV's peak dev period) for downsizing and "managerial conflicts."

About the same time, Wada posted on Twitter that the way to fix the company was to replace about 30% of employees with inexperienced recent graduates who are cheaper and less demanding. "Maybe replacing 30% of the company with folks in their early twenties will fix the remaining 70%."

A few days ago, JP Twitter started mentioning that SE is now calling the people they laid off -- especially client and server programmers -- and desperately trying to hire them back. ("Chinese fluency is a plus!")

Most seem to be telling them to go to ****.


posted by
Jaerik on (FFXIAH.com)

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14887/ff-xiv-reviews/16/

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 6:13am by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#2 Oct 15 2010 at 3:32 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
188 posts
It's possible, but it could be just a lot of conjecture. Whatever's going on though, they really need to get their act together.
#3 Oct 15 2010 at 3:34 AM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
it still hope for rolling heads there. "managerial conflicts" :)

1) lay off your jp workers
2) hire cheap chinese labour and let them ***** up
3) ?
4) profit


Edited, Oct 15th 2010 5:34am by torvac
#4 Oct 15 2010 at 3:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
SquareEnix laid off 10% of its workforce back in 2nd quarter of this year (ostensibly during XIV's peak dev period) for downsizing and "managerial conflicts."

About the same time, Wada posted on Twitter that the way to fix the company was to replace about 30% of employees with inexperienced recent graduates who are cheaper and less demanding. "Maybe replacing 30% of the company with folks in their early twenties will fix the remaining 70%."

A few days ago, JP Twitter started mentioning that SE is now calling the people they laid off -- especially client and server programmers -- and desperately trying to hire them back. ("Chinese fluency is a plus!")

Most seem to be telling them to go to ****.


As someone who knows the typical inside dramas of game companies. I read this as :

A lot of intelligent employees were calling out the BS decisions being made by the big-wigs of FFXIV. Unable to take criticism, the project leads (Tanaka, Wada or whoever) decided to terminate the experienced people that can spot stupid decisions, and hire a bunch of noobs that'll do what they're told without question.

Experienced "grunt work" level employees are never the ones responsible for a project's problems, because they're given no power over the project. They're also aware they're more 'disposable' and so have to be sure to stay competitive, effective, 'with the times', and beneficial to the project.

Projects that go bad are ALWAYS the fault of it's management level crew. After all that's what management's job is supposed to be, making sure things go right. When management crosses a certain line of ineptitude, the grunts will usually band together and try to force decisions for the good of the project. This usually ends up in management moving those people to a new project or layoffs, instead of accept there is a real problem to be addressed on the project. (aka: admit your mistakes and actually do your job or make way for someone that can).

To try and blame the grunts as this quote suggests, is such deep denial... No wonder the ex-employees aren't going back. Though the fact they are trying to rehire them also suggests the layoffs were a rash decision made in the heat of an insulted director's ego trip.

If Wada wants to invigorate the studio, the only way is to fire the aging leadership and replace them with the very people... that... they just fired. Oopsies.

So far the ones blamed for problems have been :
- The western media.
- The internet being 'mean' : Don't listen to them.
- The developments grunts (Who clearly did outstanding work for their part)

When all the while the true blame lies with themselves. Stop pointing fingers Wada/Tanaka/whoever keeps laying blame. It's all on your own back, you are more than likely the real problem and the one that needs to change or be replaced. But of course you know that, because the guilty are always keen to point the finger.


** This assessment is in assuming that the quoted report isn't flaming BS **



Edited, Oct 15th 2010 6:00am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#5 Oct 15 2010 at 3:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
107 posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wada needs to be fired.

Not just this but the bad decisions and baffling statements he's made lately.
#6 Oct 15 2010 at 4:03 AM Rating: Good
**
265 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wada needs to be fired.

Not just this but the bad decisions and baffling statements he's made lately.

Wada is the least of the problems. Tanaka is a far bigger one for the state FFXIV is in.
#7 Oct 15 2010 at 4:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,408 posts
I work in the IT world and I can say Young minds are fresh ideas but there is nothing beating experience. I am in a team of 3 and the youngest is least experienced but has brought in a few fresh ideas. Nothing major though and me and my supervisor are still the two hard working ones who bring the most/best out of our system.

This sort of thing that SE done is what they used to do here which was why we had a failed system for 4 years compared to now and the last 3 where it has been a bliss.

Quantity does not beat Quality.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#8 Oct 15 2010 at 10:56 AM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
There's really only 1 high level problem: Game was released too early.

The game will be significantly better by Dec.
By PS3 release in March, it has potential to be quite stellar.

Decisions about release dates is not made by mid & low level employees, which is the workforce that is typically laid off.
#9 Oct 15 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
70 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wada needs to be fired.

Not just this but the bad decisions and baffling statements he's made lately.

Wada is the least of the problems. Tanaka is a far bigger one for the state FFXIV is in.


He's talking about SE as a company, not just one of their products. I agree, Wada needs to go. The FF series just keeps getting worse and worse.
____________________________
FFXIV: Rocky Modin
Hyun Midlander M
Figaro Server
GLA/ARM/BLK

FFXI: Rockym
Hume M
Odin Server
75RDM/65NIN/59BST
#10 Oct 15 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Excellent
**
401 posts
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
____________________________




#11 Oct 15 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
473 posts
I concur!!!!!!!!!

Hey i have an idea and its out there . . .


I know SE is a developer but can we call chef ramsey and get some donkey calling in there?

I know he handles kitchen nightmares, but considering what has happened a hail mary wouldn't
be out of the question now would it?
#12 Oct 15 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
42 posts
ixion13 wrote:
There's really only 1 high level problem: Game was released too early.

The game will be significantly better by Dec.
By PS3 release in March, it has potential to be quite stellar.

Decisions about release dates is not made by mid & low level employees, which is the workforce that is typically laid off.


I'm not entirely sure about this. If the article above is true and the game was programmed by relatively inexperienced programmers, it might explain the absence of basic game design things like: Repair npcs, mailboxes, AH, inventory sort, etc which experienced programmers could complete in a short time. The problem as I see it is that if they aren't able to get some experienced programmers on the team, you'll be stuck in a dead-end situation where gameplay will remain unoptimized and the rate at which it improves could be very slow.

My biggest concern would be for the poor poor PS3 players. This game is going to be dreadfully awful on the PS3 in my opinion. Some machines that run this game 'decently' like a iCore930 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 12GB of Ram and a 5870/GTX 480 are substantially more powerful than a PS3. Especially in the video card department. The PS3 uses the equivilent of a nvidia 7800 roughly. That card is so old, a lot of people will say 'Did you mean the 270 or 280? 9800? the 8800? nooo the 7800 GT and think back to when they were playing Call of Duty 1 and 2 on the PC or when Half-life 2 ep 1 was a 'new' game.

They are going to need a serious amount of work on optimization to get a 'port' of this game to run the PS3. Even a ground up version for the PS3 probably won't be that fast if the PC version is any indicator. I suspect, its going to be running at most 800x600x0AA and then just upscaled to 1080p with a hi-def label slapped on it.
#13 Oct 15 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
199 posts
EvaUnit01 wrote:
ixion13 wrote:
There's really only 1 high level problem: Game was released too early.

The game will be significantly better by Dec.
By PS3 release in March, it has potential to be quite stellar.

Decisions about release dates is not made by mid & low level employees, which is the workforce that is typically laid off.


I'm not entirely sure about this. If the article above is true and the game was programmed by relatively inexperienced programmers, it might explain the absence of basic game design things like: Repair npcs, mailboxes, AH, inventory sort, etc which experienced programmers could complete in a short time. The problem as I see it is that if they aren't able to get some experienced programmers on the team, you'll be stuck in a dead-end situation where gameplay will remain unoptimized and the rate at which it improves could be very slow.

My biggest concern would be for the poor poor PS3 players. This game is going to be dreadfully awful on the PS3 in my opinion. Some machines that run this game 'decently' like a iCore930 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 12GB of Ram and a 5870/GTX 480 are substantially more powerful than a PS3. Especially in the video card department. The PS3 uses the equivilent of a nvidia 7800 roughly. That card is so old, a lot of people will say 'Did you mean the 270 or 280? 9800? the 8800? nooo the 7800 GT and think back to when they were playing Call of Duty 1 and 2 on the PC or when Half-life 2 ep 1 was a 'new' game.

They are going to need a serious amount of work on optimization to get a 'port' of this game to run the PS3. Even a ground up version for the PS3 probably won't be that fast if the PC version is any indicator. I suspect, its going to be running at most 800x600x0AA and then just upscaled to 1080p with a hi-def label slapped on it.


What? The game was designed to be played on the PS3. I can't remember where but I read SE stated they went with top of line PC specs because of the PS3, and that in 2-3 years the PC specs now won't be over the top.

And I have played MANY PS3 games with better graphics than xiv. Uncharted Drake's Fortune 1 and 2 for instance. Now maybe SE won't optimize the PS3 game correcty, but its not gonna be the PS3's "lack" of power as you want to say.

Oh, and there are NPC repair people in each city.

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 1:44pm by PinkMermaid
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#14 Oct 15 2010 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
preludes wrote:

Most seem to be telling them to go to ****.


posted by
Jaerik on (FFXIAH.com)

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14887/ff-xiv-reviews/16/

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 6:13am by preludes [/quote]


LOL
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#15 Oct 15 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
...that makes an awful lot of sense. Would explain why during the beta test it seemed like SE was making NO progress on some of the missing/poorly implemented features during the beta test (2nd quarter 2010...).
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#16 Oct 15 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Excellent
42 posts
preludes wrote:
Read this earlier and if true it explains a lot of things and honestly put the majority of the blame for the state the game was released in at one mans feet. With people like this in charge I'm so happy I was unable to get hooked into this game..

Quote:
SquareEnix laid off 10% of its workforce back in 2nd quarter of this year (ostensibly during XIV's peak dev period) for downsizing and "managerial conflicts."

About the same time, Wada posted on Twitter that the way to fix the company was to replace about 30% of employees with inexperienced recent graduates who are cheaper and less demanding. "Maybe replacing 30% of the company with folks in their early twenties will fix the remaining 70%."

A few days ago, JP Twitter started mentioning that SE is now calling the people they laid off -- especially client and server programmers -- and desperately trying to hire them back. ("Chinese fluency is a plus!")

Most seem to be telling them to go to ****.


posted by
Jaerik on (FFXIAH.com)

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14887/ff-xiv-reviews/16/

Edited, Oct 15th 2010 6:13am by preludes

Someone else also posted that a good deal of the software framework was farmed out to China. Not sure how true that is but as someone who has seen outsourcing tank a company I can guess that if this is so SE's in-house crew has been overwhelmed at trying to back-engineer their own (china-sourced) code. It can be incredibly time consuming to do this and may also explain the lack of bug fixes from Beta on. It's never a good idea to outsource your core expertise.

Sad, hopefully they sort things out quickly. At least they're talking now... maybe the last months events have shaken up SE out of their complacency.
#17 Oct 15 2010 at 6:31 PM Rating: Good
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.
TheRealLusent wrote:
From gaming for a long time, I have noticed this. Alot of games have gone all out on graphics and didnt put polish or life into the mechanics of the game. Its poor to build such a awesome looking game just to have dribbled **** game play.


T
H
I
S
!
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#18 Oct 15 2010 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:


T
H
I
S
!

We call the the Assassin's creed syndrome. And I agree it's far too frequent these days. All flash no substance.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)