Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Gilseller caught in game with 5 million on him, inc proof.Follow

#1 Oct 16 2010 at 6:30 PM Rating: Sub-Default
*
55 posts
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4798/gilseller.jpg - screenshot of him offering me 5 million gil in trade window.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7928/gilseller2.jpg - screenshot of all chat that occured with gilseller.

The story behind this is we found 2 bots we reported about 10 days ago still farming in spots where they arn't required to run around, only tab to select new targets and attack from range. They are at a good xp spot for our level (level 20 mobs)the farming bots are level 33, and killing everything fast, there is however no spot as good as this for us so we decided to exp on this spot too and the bots lost a lot of kills because of it.

A few hours later, a new guildless guy turns up, his name is "War Just" a level 26 marauder(random use of english words in an attempt to create an english sounding name) He looks at us for ages but isn't doing anything so we talk to him, he actually responds, everything that was said is screenshotted and linked above.

These guys should have been banned ages ago, SE doesn't give a crap about gilsellers, bots, or any of it.

Edited, Oct 16th 2010 8:32pm by properson

Edited, Oct 16th 2010 8:32pm by properson
#2 Oct 16 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*
52 posts
Only question I have is, why is he offering you gil, without you paying him money?
#3 Oct 16 2010 at 6:41 PM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
Probably to show off how much he has, and perhaps as a sign that he is selling gil without actually saying it in the chat incase i screenshot and report it. I made him believe i was interested in obtaining 500k gil because i suspected he was a gilseller and was hoping he'd do something stupid, and he did.

Edited, Oct 16th 2010 8:42pm by properson
#4 Oct 16 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Unfortunately I don't think that would be considered conclusive evidence. He never admits to being a gil seller. You actually might come off looking worse than him. He could just be a guy with tons of gil trying to make a friend, which is exactly what SE will tell you if they ever responded to this.

He might be a gil seller, but you'll need better proof than this.

Oh, and Post #100!
____________________________
#5 Oct 16 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
472 posts
Plus if you reverse his name to Just War it actually makes sense and isn't some odd thing they tried to come up with in English.
#6 Oct 16 2010 at 6:52 PM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
Or, SE could just look at how much gil he has been selling and the 24/7 bot farming and ban them. But no, gilsellers are myth, right? The numerous websites offering gil for sale, I guess they're all just fake.
#7 Oct 16 2010 at 6:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
494 posts
RMTs are known to give out gil. I used to get tons on ffxi. They aren't all jerks. many are really nice and realize they are messing the game up for other people. So if you get a nice one they will often give you some free gil since they are paid by the hour and not by the amount of gil obtained.
If you talk to girl RMTs they are usually -really- nice and will go out of their way / stop their farming to help you finish a quest or w/e. At least it was like that in FFXI and from talking to come of the cgf's

Edited, Oct 16th 2010 8:55pm by Azurymber
#8 Oct 16 2010 at 7:25 PM Rating: Decent
**
472 posts
Yeah very true. I used to talk to a gold seller in wow from the phillipines. The account was used for several other people. Everytime I had a conversation in the beginning it was like they didn't know me. But after a time I got to know them and they were just really nice people trying to make some income. After about 3 months, they told me that they work as a gold seller LOL. They even told me how much they made and it sounded really a bad wage, but then I was informed that it was a really good wage. I didn't care, it really doesn't change the game by as much as people perceive. The ones that buy gold/gil tend to leave the game sooner than anyone else.
#9 Oct 16 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
49 posts
Quote:
These guys should have been banned ages ago, SE doesn't give a crap about gilsellers, bots, or any of it.


What do you care, anyway? You walked away with 500k more than you had before you ran into him.
#10 Oct 16 2010 at 8:00 PM Rating: Decent
**
441 posts
what is it with ever gill seller being from china O.o? this name actually looks familiar was this in Gysahl sever? if he a gill seller at least he a nice one =P
#11 Oct 16 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
I'm not convinced this makes him RMT automatically. Because he's wealthy and is willing to share it?

I have well over 5 Mil gil to my name at the moment, and while I'm not generous enough to just give away 500k like that, I'm not convinced that he's RMT just based on what I saw from your screenshots. Frankly I don't think it's quite fair to besmirch someone's name on forums without more =/
____________________________


#12 Oct 16 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.
#13 Oct 16 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
5M really isn't alot of money in this game. Look at how much bronze haubergeon* cost and you can see how fast a crafter can make 5M
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#14 Oct 16 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Good
*
137 posts
The gil buyers are as much apart of the problem as the sellers. As long as there is a buyer there will be sellers. People who buys should be given the same harsh treatment as sellers.
#15 Oct 16 2010 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
God, the one thing I didn't miss (okay, one of the things) from the XI crowd are the RMT crusaders. For the time and effort you put into exposing this and then turning around and assuming SE doesn't care because they aren't on the scene in 5 minutes lobbing out bans, you could have actually been enjoying yourself.

Report it. Forget it. Move on with your life. Nobody likes a crybaby snitch carrying on because daddy didn't come running to punish the meanies.

Edited, Oct 16th 2010 9:37pm by Aurelius
#16 Oct 16 2010 at 10:25 PM Rating: Excellent
13 posts
That's not 5 million gil.

That's 4,999,999 gil. Learn to count! God!
#17 Oct 16 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
340 posts
It's funny that you would think they would make use of crafters to do some of their farming. There are certain spawns in certain dungeons that are fantastic money makers. If you know which spots these are, you'll notice that they are often empty with no spawns, or you'll see corpses in them but no players. If you stay at these spots for long enough, you'll see a flash of a player appear and vanish. Teleporting using instant kills to farm these. I'll go so far as say Cassiopeia Hollow is where it is at.
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#18 Oct 16 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Decent
*
66 posts
I play this game obnoxiously casual. I played total about 35-40 hours yet I have 760k gil without trying AT all and another 500k of stuff. Its been out like 3 weeks right? Sellers play shift rotations with wise (Sometimes even American) market minded people who invests their money into the game. Its like a bank pretty much, they have way more money then is being bought, what better to do with itIf they didnt out do my minimal effort with a good 2-3 dozen million, then it positively was not a gil seller. Or at least not a successful one.

Seriously very much dislike the lag in menus (especially crafting) and I put little effort into it, but making simple Bronze/Iron Ingots yeilded a consistant 400-500% profit from the peanuts I paid for the ores to make them. Iron Sand (nearly 40 bought) at 30-100gil per. Iron Ore, Lim, 350-500 per. It was absolutely ripe for profit.

I think you found some guy who thought War Just sounded cool and unique, had been playing very hardcore, and had an embarrassingly low amount of GIL for any halfway decent or intelligent player.

Good luck and may your 500k bring you fortune. I suggest buying a cheap Smith hammer, buying up Tin/Copper ore and churning out Nuggets and ingots. Soon enough, after reaching Iron and up, youll realize how silly you were to think this trivial amount to be vast.
#19 Oct 17 2010 at 3:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
No he didn't give me any gil - you have to pay for that in dollars. I didn't get 500k.

Edited, Oct 17th 2010 5:40am by properson
#20 Oct 17 2010 at 5:48 AM Rating: Default
42 posts
i have 2.1m but it dont make me a a gil seller lol, alot of us spend time farming gold and the longer we farm the more the prices come down on the market so you can buy what u want. its a win win situation.
____________________________
[img=180056]
#21 Oct 17 2010 at 6:42 AM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
****, the intelligence level of people on this forum is disturbing low.

It's not just about this guy having 5 million gil, it's that he and a few bots are farming the same spots 24/7. Their characters do not move. If you stand near them you can see their heads changing directly rapidly as they tab through targets lookin for monsters to attack. This goes on for hours on end.
#22 Oct 17 2010 at 7:01 AM Rating: Good
10 posts
[********************, the intelligence level of people on this forum is disturbing low.

It's not just about this guy having 5 million gil, it's that he and a few bots are farming the same spots 24/7. Their characters do not move. If you stand near them you can see their heads changing directly rapidly as they tab through targets lookin for monsters to attack. This goes on for hours on end.[/quote]

So where is the part of the chatlog that says he wants $ for said 500k? I believe in gold/gil/adena/whatever sellers. They do exist! But just because they refuse to kill elsewhere and have the time to just kill like that isnt gonna make me hate them, which is what I feel you are trying to do.

If I go out of my way to farm locations, sell trash items, craft trash to vendor for profit, or whatever the case may be and then turn around and give all that currency away to random players....am I hurting the game? Or am I doing as much damage as the sellers? I promise you if I found you in game and wanted to give you 5mil whatever and stated it was free of charge your **** would be accepting in a heartbeat. So do yourself a favor and get some better "evidence" of said selling/"botting" before you go flaming some random player who plays the game. Worry about properson and let the others worry about themselves. If SE wants them gone, then enough players can report them and life goes on. You do know that SE put other stuff in the game than just killing stuff right? And yeah insulting the intelligence level of some ppl on the forum after not providing said evidence of being a "Gilseller" as the title of this thread led me to believe...I ask....who is the real intelligent one here? STFU or GTFO kkthxbye!
#23 Oct 17 2010 at 7:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
158 posts
[********************, the intelligence level of people on this forum is disturbing low.[/quote]

point in case?
____________________________
MNK75/SAM75/DNC75
#24 Oct 17 2010 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
*
242 posts
[**********, the intelligence level of people on this forum is disturbing[ly] low. [/quote]

Fixed.

Quote:
It's not just about this guy having 5 million gil, it's that he and a few bots are farming the same spots 24/7. Their characters do not move. If you stand near them you can see their heads changing directly rapidly as they tab through targets lookin for monsters to attack. This goes on for hours on end.


Your screenshot does nothing to indicate that the person you're singling out does this.

I stay in the same area and farm for hours on end. Does that make me RMT too?

Furthermore, report to GMs. I don't think anyone on these forums is capable of taking corrective action.
____________________________


#25 Oct 17 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Excellent
**
500 posts
i only have 20k so your allll gil sellers to me >.> lol
____________________________
the monk i wish i had they playtime to be:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?174022

#26 Oct 17 2010 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Chubbyjesus wrote:
I think you found some guy who thought War Just sounded cool and unique, had been playing very hardcore, and had an embarrassingly low amount of GIL for any halfway decent or intelligent player.


This is a very arrogant and unnecessary thing to say. Five million gil is not embarrassingly low for anyone. The game has been out less than a month and for someone to have 5m gil, casual or hardcore, is still an accomplishment. I myself have about 1m and I consider myself an intelligent player. I'm not trying to corner the market on anything because, well, I really don't need to. Making gil in this game is quite easy and I'm not concerned about it, but 5m is still impressive imo.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#27preludes, Posted: Oct 17 2010 at 8:16 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Shut up about RMT and bots, nobody cares. This is a brand new game go and have fun if you're enjoying it and stop worrying about stupid nonsense. Idk if they are rmt or not but I hope so if for no other reason than to annoy you more.
#28 Oct 17 2010 at 8:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
179 posts
Pretty sure I've done leves with War Just before.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#29 Oct 17 2010 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
WTF!? I saw a guy with 5 MILLION gills and I told a GM and the GM didn't even ban him yet!! I guess it is true, SE works with the chinese government to sell lots and lots of gills!
#30 Oct 17 2010 at 9:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Basically you're a citizen with circumstanial evidence, http://www.answers.com/topic/circumstantial-evidence

____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#31 Oct 17 2010 at 10:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,431 posts
preludes wrote:
Shut up about RMT and bots, nobody cares. This is a brand new game go and have fun if you're enjoying it and stop worrying about stupid nonsense. Idk if they are rmt or not but I hope so if for no other reason than to annoy you more.

The RMT crusaders were a pain in the *** on FFXI but at least they had a good reason to be ******* there is none on 14. Just go play the game, you won't find massive uproars.


You're still playing this? I figured after your massive thread on the FF11 forum where you blasted this game and said it was a joke and trash, you might have quit.
Or... did you quit, and are now just lurking the forum?
____________________________
~Phoenix / Figaro~
--
Little angel go away,
come again some other day.
The devil has my ear today,
I'll never hear a word you say.
#32 Oct 17 2010 at 10:58 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
991 posts
Vawn43 wrote:
WTF!? I saw a guy with 5 MILLION gills and I told a GM and the GM didn't even ban him yet!! I guess it is true, SE works with the chinese government to sell lots and lots of gills!


some of us have more then that, and ARE NOT rmt, so :P to you
____________________________


#33 Oct 17 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
You're still playing this? I figured after your massive thread on the FF11 forum where you blasted this game and said it was a joke and trash, you might have quit.
Or... did you quit, and are now just lurking the forum?


I don't play this game now, played it 3-4 times total since I bought it at launch before it got way too annoying but it's something to read aside from the XI forums. In total honesty it's Train wreck syndrome I guess, reading the crappy reviews etc was quite fun lol
____________________________
BANNED
#34 Oct 17 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Default
3 posts
watever man maybe he just a bored guy like me i play on ma day off work and i play dis game coz it final fantasy i m grinding ma char to some decent lvl buh can't b bothered commit 100% so i play dis and read manga @ same time so instead of running around like a chicken looking 4 mob i sit in 1 spot wait 4 em 2 respawn since respawn is fast in dis game newaiz like 3 mins everytime dey spwn does dat make me a rmt too?... and stop crying so much have some pity to da guys who actually depending on da idiots dat pay them tons of cash to buy gil so dey can survive in real life... its just another way of earning incomes... if u don't enjoy dis game the way it is u can always cancel ur account and quit go play soem football or something it better for ur health and it might rough u up a bit and help u become a bit less of a cry baby...........
**** I LOVE WRITING ESSAYS XD
#35 Oct 17 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Decent
SudoNemesis wrote:
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.


That's not necessarily true. RMT, by nature, have the ability to dominate/ruin the game in a way that even the most organized and ruthless guild would have a hard time doing. If your past experience is with WoW, you won't fully appreciate the amount of damage RMT can do to the game experience in places where mobs or loot are limited. People who played FFXI a lot have a stronger appreciation of this fact because the design of that game put a lot of the game's resources out in the open where RMT could dominate more easily.

Edited, Oct 17th 2010 3:48pm by KarlHungis
#36 Oct 17 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
KarlHungis Delivers on Time wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.


That's not necessarily true. RMT, by nature, have the ability to dominate/ruin the game in a way that even the most organized and ruthless guild would have a hard time doing. If your past experience is with WoW, you won't fully appreciate the amount of damage RMT can do to the game experience in places where mobs or loot are limited. People who played FFXI a lot have a stronger appreciation of this fact because the design of that game put a lot of the game's resources out in the open where RMT could dominate more easily.
Exploits and oversights are what caused prices to get out of control in FFXI. RMT happened to also be exploiting it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#37 Oct 17 2010 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
KarlHungis Delivers on Time wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.


That's not necessarily true. RMT, by nature, have the ability to dominate/ruin the game in a way that even the most organized and ruthless guild would have a hard time doing. If your past experience is with WoW, you won't fully appreciate the amount of damage RMT can do to the game experience in places where mobs or loot are limited. People who played FFXI a lot have a stronger appreciation of this fact because the design of that game put a lot of the game's resources out in the open where RMT could dominate more easily.

Edited, Oct 17th 2010 3:48pm by KarlHungis



As long as they aren't actually exploiting, which to my knowledge they haven't in 14 yet so far, RMT do not cause any unnatural damage to the economy. They simply make and redistribute currency. If anything they only make the economy work closer to max capacity, which does cause inflation which affects players who cannot keep up. Now I understand in FFXI RMT did bot, and that its economy was fairly susceptible to RMT dominance , but the idea of simply overfarming cannot ruin a game economy.
____________________________


#38properson, Posted: Oct 17 2010 at 4:45 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I guess nobody cares that these guys are botting 24/7. Yes, they bot. Their characters do not move, they just sit in one spot tab targetting and killing enemies within spawn range.
#39 Oct 17 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
properson wrote:
I guess nobody cares that these guys are botting 24/7.


I'm sure everyone cares. A little. Just not enough to get all worked up over it.
#40 Oct 17 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Decent
KarlHungis Delivers on Time wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.


That's not necessarily true. RMT, by nature, have the ability to dominate/ruin the game in a way that even the most organized and ruthless guild would have a hard time doing. If your past experience is with WoW, you won't fully appreciate the amount of damage RMT can do to the game experience in places where mobs or loot are limited. People who played FFXI a lot have a stronger appreciation of this fact because the design of that game put a lot of the game's resources out in the open where RMT could dominate more easily.


People who played XI have a lot stronger appreciation of it, yes. But they keep responding to it in XIV like they're still playing XI. That's my whole point in all of this is that the alarmism and the anxiety and the big deal out of it is really not warranted at this point. The only thing RMT could do right now at this stage of the game is to try and corner the shard market. And they'd face a great many obstacles in the process of doing so.

There is RMT present in every MMO on the market today. It's unavoidable, and if someone is going to let their mere presence ruin the experience for them, they might as well step out of the MMO scene altogether.
#41 Oct 17 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
bsphil wrote:
KarlHungis Delivers on Time wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
I really do not understand why you guys get your panties in a twist over RMT. If they aren't ******** up the economy, big guilds will. Unregulated marketplaces always lead to some form of manipulation/domination. RMTs cause no harm other than causing you people to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.


That's not necessarily true. RMT, by nature, have the ability to dominate/ruin the game in a way that even the most organized and ruthless guild would have a hard time doing. If your past experience is with WoW, you won't fully appreciate the amount of damage RMT can do to the game experience in places where mobs or loot are limited. People who played FFXI a lot have a stronger appreciation of this fact because the design of that game put a lot of the game's resources out in the open where RMT could dominate more easily.
Exploits and oversights are what caused prices to get out of control in FFXI. RMT happened to also be exploiting it.


Who said any thing about prices? I'm talking about the basic quality of the game experience, of not being able to do Sky because RMT could monopolize the pop mobs by virtue of being present 24/7, and similar situations.

Also keep in mind that, exploits or no exploits, a paid workforce of people who are constantly seeking and abusing exploits are a huge multiplier on the severity of those exploits. Any person might be able to convert and sell rusty caps, for example, but only RMT are going to spend the time to make a hyper efficient assembly line operation out of it. Only RMT are going to have the patience to sit and fish in one spot for days and weeks at a time, and RMT more than individual players are going to be more willing to use bots or other exploits.

In the end, a player often sees his or her account as irreplacable, and will tend to avoid certain behaviors if he or she knows they will eventually result in punishment. RMT on the other hand look at an account or a character as a potentially disposable tool. If there's enough money to be made by exploiting in the short term, then it's worth being banned and just getting hold of a new account. For the average person, the payoff has to be pretty high, and the perceived chances of being caught and punished, pretty low.

I do think the OP is acting a little hysterically, because there's nothing game breaking about some one monopolizing an XP mob, and there's nothing about having a bunch of gil that indicates a gil seller. I had guildies in WoW who were literally at the maximum for gold on a single character, and it wasn't because they were gil sellers, it's because they were simply obsessive about making gold and not spending it.

Edited, Oct 17th 2010 9:26pm by KarlHungis
#42 Oct 17 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:

People who played XI have a lot stronger appreciation of it, yes. But they keep responding to it in XIV like they're still playing XI. That's my whole point in all of this is that the alarmism and the anxiety and the big deal out of it is really not warranted at this point. The only thing RMT could do right now at this stage of the game is to try and corner the shard market. And they'd face a great many obstacles in the process of doing so.

There is RMT present in every MMO on the market today. It's unavoidable, and if someone is going to let their mere presence ruin the experience for them, they might as well step out of the MMO scene altogether.


Well I agree with your general point. The only way that RMT will *ruin* FFXIV is if S-E repeats their mistakes from FFXI and makes important NPCs and resources capable of monopolization. From what I saw in beta, that doesn't seem to be the case for gatherable mats, and as long as they can bump up NPC spawn rates and density, it shouldn't be an issue for farmable mobs either. I guess we have to wait to see how they handle NMs, quest locations, etc before we declare that it's not going to happen at all.

#43 Oct 17 2010 at 7:50 PM Rating: Decent
KarlHungis Delivers on Time wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:

People who played XI have a lot stronger appreciation of it, yes. But they keep responding to it in XIV like they're still playing XI. That's my whole point in all of this is that the alarmism and the anxiety and the big deal out of it is really not warranted at this point. The only thing RMT could do right now at this stage of the game is to try and corner the shard market. And they'd face a great many obstacles in the process of doing so.

There is RMT present in every MMO on the market today. It's unavoidable, and if someone is going to let their mere presence ruin the experience for them, they might as well step out of the MMO scene altogether.


Well I agree with your general point. The only way that RMT will *ruin* FFXIV is if S-E repeats their mistakes from FFXI and makes important NPCs and resources capable of monopolization. From what I saw in beta, that doesn't seem to be the case for gatherable mats, and as long as they can bump up NPC spawn rates and density, it shouldn't be an issue for farmable mobs either. I guess we have to wait to see how they handle NMs, quest locations, etc before we declare that it's not going to happen at all.



I was a bit surprised to see them announce the upcoming addition of world spawn NMs, but I'm fairly confident after their XI experience that those NMs won't be dropping gear that can be traded (aka sold). I don't mind of world spawn NMs have nice stuff as long as you get it once and then move along instead of having the same half dozen people camping it for months on end because they see it as a good source of income. And I hope they tune the drop rate to be conducive to that "revolving door" approach to people camping the NM. Get your claim, get your kill, get your drop, get on with your life. Anything else and SE is asking for another headache.
#44 Oct 17 2010 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,431 posts

bsphil wrote:
Exploits and oversights are what caused prices to get out of control in FFXI. RMT happened to also be exploiting it.


RMT found and utilized every tiny exploit imaginable. They even managed to script and abuse an npc who let you gamble for like 10 gil. I mean come on... "This is why we can't have nice things." :P
Seriously, they managed to drastically change the face of FFXI over the years since they latched on. Virtually nothing could be left for making "easy" money outside some select things within the economy that tend to change a lot. That's why RMT craft a lot in ffxi now, instead of things they used to do... NM monopolize, Gardening exploits, NPC exploits, Quest abuse, you name it. They ruined all of these things for legitimate players while finding and exploiting them.
Then, of course, when they got squeezed, they started heavily stealing accounts to get the gil they wanted. Then they tried tricking people into thinking they were in trouble to steal more accounts. They've finally settled on crafting and harassing people with advertisement /tells that break the filter.

Personally, I would love to see SE come down hard on any RMT activity early and set up a no-nonsense policy with it. Of course, that is hard to implement... heh. RMT are a plague, really. They may not be hurting anyone at the moment, but if the situation changes, I don't think they would hesitate to hurt everyone. They never have before.

And I have a mixed opinion about sellable loot. I like the r/ex thing... but sometimes, it's nice to have an alternative to getting that piece of gear through making money and buying it off someone. If I can't get the piece directly from the NM for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind having the ability to go out and earn money for a while to get the same thing that way.
But, then, it also sucks when the whole reason you can't get that item is because of people camping to sell it.
____________________________
~Phoenix / Figaro~
--
Little angel go away,
come again some other day.
The devil has my ear today,
I'll never hear a word you say.
#45 Oct 17 2010 at 9:33 PM Rating: Decent
AmanoJ wrote:
And I have a mixed opinion about sellable loot. I like the r/ex thing... but sometimes, it's nice to have an alternative to getting that piece of gear through making money and buying it off someone. If I can't get the piece directly from the NM for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind having the ability to go out and earn money for a while to get the same thing that way.
But, then, it also sucks when the whole reason you can't get that item is because of people camping to sell it.


I think the key that I'm hoping SE latches onto for world spawn NMs and any loot they might drop is not to make said loot so far and away better than anything else in that rank range that people feel compelled to bore themselves to tears or grind to the point of misery in order to get it. I went back to FFXI for a short time when they offered the free trial mostly out of nostalgia's sake and to see what they had changed in the 4-5 years since I had last played. On my way back to Bastok from xping near the Fumeroles I decided to take a cruise through my old stomping grounds and came across Leaping Lizzy. And of course, not long after I engaged her came the THF in AF screaming down off the hill just in time to see me go all One Hundred Fists. No drop. That was XI, where nothing worth having came without an inordinate amount of time spent doing things you'd rather not have been doing.

XIV is already shaping up to be very, very different. For starters, it doesn't seem at this point to be nearly so gear dependent but at the same time, when you upgrade a piece of gear you definitely notice a difference. I have to give SE credit for that because tuning a game so that you can play and enjoy without having to constantly research every possible avenue to improve your character while still making upgrading a rewarding experience is not easy.

I'm hoping this time around that NM camping is something that players do because they really and truly enjoy it, not because they feel it's the only way to accomplish something they feel compelled to accomplish. Whether it's farming for currency or camping for drops, as soon as it's allowed to dominate the game to any significant extent, players start to lose interest.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)