Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Why I am enjoying this gameFollow

#1 Oct 19 2010 at 6:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
I see everyday on here why and why people are having a hard time enjoying 14. I just wanted to say why I am enjoying it.

When I would play XI, it would take an hour for me to build a party due to people saying they wanted a Japanese party only, level synch no thanks, or people were just afk cause they were having the same party building issues I was having. On 14, so far, I have not had a need to build a party. My husband and I can just log on, go craft, mine or grind for a few hours and log off feeling like we have accomplished something.

So far, I am not having to ask for help from others to do things. The main quest seems to be able to be done solo, which I am enjoying. My husband and I don't need to beg people or LS members for help or schedule a day to where we can get help. We are able to simply just log on, if we are the right level for the story line, we can continue....in XI, I havn't been able to get past rank 5 in windie or sandie cause we can't get help, our characters aren't high enough, and we havn't even scratched the surface of all the other expansions...we have been playing it for almost two years...for the second time....

Gimp gear does not = fail? Okay, I have been having a hard time finding some updated gear because I do not have enough gil yet or because I just have yet to find it. And IDK about others, but I am having a sense that seems to be okay? Maybe it's because I don't belong to a strong LS community? IDK so I am not feeling like I'm being shot down because I'm using a lot of gear I started with, which is making this game less of a chore because I don't have to focus *as of yet* on even decent gear.

Here is the main reason why I am enjoying 14. I am a house wife and a stay at home mother. I don't have a lot of time to play online games. My family is a top priority for me. XI wasn't family a family friendly type of game. AS of now, to me in my present time, 14 is.

I am not knocking those who have more time than I do, glad many of you have so many hours to dedicate to gaming. I don't and 14 seems to be that perfect fit for me as of now.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#2 Oct 19 2010 at 7:15 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#3 Oct 19 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
When I would play XI, it would take an hour for me to build a party due to people saying they wanted a Japanese party only, level synch no thanks, or people were just afk cause they were having the same party building issues I was having. On 14, so far, I have not had a need to build a party. My husband and I can just log on, go craft, mine or grind for a few hours and log off feeling like we have accomplished something.


Can do all of that on XI, XI had it's own leaves system with which you could log on and grind out a leave every hour. Fields of valor.

Quote:
Gimp gear does not = fail?


It will have the same values once the game gets established.
____________________________
BANNED
#4 Oct 19 2010 at 7:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
Yeah, preludes. Be sure to try your hardest to convince her not to enjoy the game.

Lilitha, I appreciate this post, I'm debating on whether or not to jump in the game this week, so info like this helps. It seems a lot more casual- and solo-friendly than FFXI was, at least at launch.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.
____________________________
Aion: Laine, 42 Elyos Ranger - Zikel (Retired)
WoW: Laine, 80 Draenei Hunter - Arthas (Retired)
FFXI: Kito, 75 Mithra SAM/RNG - Bismarck (Retired)
Jamie, giving female MMO players a good name since 2002!
#5 Oct 19 2010 at 7:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Yeah, preludes. Be sure to try your hardest to convince her not to enjoy the game.

Lilitha, I appreciate this post, I'm debating on whether or not to jump in the game this week, so info like this helps. It seems a lot more casual- and solo-friendly than FFXI was, at least at launch.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.


Hey i'm not saying not to enjoy it and if she is I'm happy for her but this is a public forum which other people read so I pointed out that the things she said against XI were untrue, didn't say anything bad about XIV in this post and that would of been easy. Unlike you I have played both games and can post on it from that perspective.

It's not anymore solo friendly in reality than FFXI is.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 9:47am by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#6 Oct 19 2010 at 7:48 AM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.


Maybe harsher than FFXI now, but certainly not when it first came over here. If anything i'd say its just about the same. FFXIV screams casual play far more than FFXI, and you can't really deny that though.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#7 Oct 19 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
26 posts
Quote:
It's not anymore solo friendly in reality than FFXI is.


I'm almost physical 30, without partying once. This game is way more solo friendly than FFXI was. However, the grinding curve is getting stepper and stepper as you progress. The game is still playable on a casual basic, but don't expect to be 50 in 2 months in you do so.
#8 Oct 19 2010 at 7:56 AM Rating: Good
**
548 posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the game OP. My RL demands also severely impede my playtime, and I find that XIV ("as is") supports a casual play style just fine. I get to log-in about 3 days / week, with each play session averaging approx. 2 1/2 hours. I find that this is plenty of time to crush my battlecraft leve's, then I dabble with a little questing, xp grind, crafting, or behesting.

To be honest, despite all the flames, a lot of people must be enjoying the game because it seems that a vast majority of the population has @ least one job rank 20+. I logged on last night for the first time in 4 or 5 days and I am starting to see people with rank 30+ jobs on a regular basis. (I'm on Bodhum by the way...)

If people hate XIV so much, why has a vast majority of the community suffered through hundreds of hours of gaming to get their toons to Rank 20+?
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Oct 19 2010 at 8:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
133 posts
preludes wrote:
Hey i'm not saying not to enjoy it and if she is I'm happy for her but this is a public forum which other people read so I pointed out that the things she said against XI were untrue, didn't say anything bad about XIV in this post and that would of been easy. Unlike you I have played both games and can post on it from that perspective.

It's not anymore solo friendly in reality than FFXI is.


You say "untrue" as if your opinion is fact, and her's is wrong. That's my problem. Rather than adding in your opinion, you made her sound like she was wrong. Opinions can't be wrong.

Regardless, it doesn't matter, it's just semantics, and I do think your opinion was valuable. Just the way you said it seemed kind of rude to me after she made a nice post about her personal experiences. No worries though, if she's not offended neither am I :)
____________________________
Aion: Laine, 42 Elyos Ranger - Zikel (Retired)
WoW: Laine, 80 Draenei Hunter - Arthas (Retired)
FFXI: Kito, 75 Mithra SAM/RNG - Bismarck (Retired)
Jamie, giving female MMO players a good name since 2002!
#10 Oct 19 2010 at 8:24 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
You say "untrue" as if your opinion is fact, and her's is wrong. That's my problem. Rather than adding in your opinion, you made her sound like she was wrong. Opinions can't be wrong.

Regardless, it doesn't matter, it's just semantics, and I do think your opinion was valuable. Just the way you said it seemed kind of rude to me after she made a nice post about her personal experiences. No worries though, if she's not offended neither am I :)


Yeah I did because what she said gave an impression of one game being a lot easier to solo and more casual on players than another when it's not, FFXI does have a way to solo all the way upto 75 if you wanted to, you don't have to build parties or wait for an invite.

Why would she or even moreso YOU be offended exactly, this is stating the situation for both games not flaming which would be something some might get offended by. If my intention would of been to offend I could of done a far better job of it I can assure you, that was not my intention at all.

If you wanna say how awesome FFXIV and how much you enjoy it then fine but don't say things that are not true or make another game look bad with comments which are also not true and there will be a lot fewer posts calling you up on it.
____________________________
BANNED
#11 Oct 19 2010 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
9 posts
RivenKito wrote:
Lilitha, I appreciate this post, I'm debating on whether or not to jump in the game this week, so info like this helps. It seems a lot more casual- and solo-friendly than FFXI was, at least at launch.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.
Personally and this is from someone who's enjoyed it so far, I'd wait until a major update comes down the pipe, or before October 25th which I'm sure was the cutoff date for two free months playtime.

I've been doing about everything solo right now, mainly because my friends that came to the game are never on because of time-zone issues. Got into the crafting hard so I'm enjoying that part of the game. Just my opinion most people if they start the game now before issues are fixed they'll get burnt out if/when they get here.
#12 Oct 19 2010 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
preludes wrote:
[quote]
Yeah I did because what she said gave an impression of one game being a lot easier to solo and more casual on players than another when it's not, FFXI does have a way to solo all the way upto 75 if you wanted to, you don't have to build parties or wait for an invite.



You are just talking nonsense now...may wanna give up that notion right now. There were certain FFXI class that were (slightly)solo friendly til 75...like beast and sum, as long as you were very good at what you did and had very good gear. I really don't think I could have solo'd my Bard to 75...if I could ***********, that would be one bad-*** Bard.

In FFXIV...everyone can designed to be a one person wrecking crew if you want to build yourself up. Its seems to be a giant world of Blue Mages. I like it...but its nothing like FFXI when it comes to soloing.

____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#13 Oct 19 2010 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.


Yet she's clearly enjoying it. So they must have done some things right for the casual gamer.
____________________________
http://www.pbpmap.com/ - play by post rpgs at their best!


#14 Oct 19 2010 at 9:36 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
133 posts
charityneverfaileth wrote:
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.


Yet she's clearly enjoying it. So they must have done some things right for the casual gamer.


Nope. His opinion is fact. Quit trying to argue.

____________________________
Aion: Laine, 42 Elyos Ranger - Zikel (Retired)
WoW: Laine, 80 Draenei Hunter - Arthas (Retired)
FFXI: Kito, 75 Mithra SAM/RNG - Bismarck (Retired)
Jamie, giving female MMO players a good name since 2002!
#15 Oct 19 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
Thanks for the positive thread :)

I've been enjoying the game as well, and like you, have been doing a lot of soloing. I'm waiting for most of my friends to come over on the PS3. It does seem like soloing is a bit easier in FFXIV, or maybe at least just being able to accomplish stuff solo if you have a short playtime.

____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#16 Oct 19 2010 at 10:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
You are just talking nonsense now...may wanna give up that notion right now. There were certain FFXI class that were (slightly)solo friendly til 75...like beast and sum, as long as you were very good at what you did and had very good gear. I really don't think I could have solo'd my Bard to 75...if I could ***********, that would be one bad-*** Bard.

In FFXIV...everyone can designed to be a one person wrecking crew if you want to build yourself up. Its seems to be a giant world of Blue Mages. I like it...but its nothing like FFXI when it comes to soloing.


I have had a few friends return to the game lately and they have gone from the 40's to the high 60s in a couple of months by doing FoV and killing EP-DC mobs in between which is what you do in 14, and no they werent solo jobs either.

FFXI has a leaves type system with far less restrictions in place and you get buffs from signet to aid in killing lower mobs. You can solo and make daily progress in FFXI without sitting around just lfg, FFXIV is no better than FFXI in that regard.
____________________________
BANNED
#17 Oct 19 2010 at 10:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
I have had a few friends return to the game lately and they have gone from the 40's to the high 60s in a couple of months by doing FoV and killing EP-DC mobs in between which is what you do in 14, and no they werent solo jobs either.

FFXI has a leaves type system with far less restrictions in place and you get buffs from signet to aid in killing lower mobs. You can solo and make daily progress in FFXI without sitting around just lfg, FFXIV is no better than FFXI in that regard.
Yeah, right. Fields of Valor was on a time restriction, gave lousy experience points and only suited the few classes actually capable of soloing. Try soloing as a low level WHM (good luck using Banish as an attack spell!) or SMN (No Light Staff means no perma-carby!). Anything that had an MP pool required constant resting to regain it unless you kept a ton of ethers (which don't stack). The melee jobs were the only ones who could about tolerate it, and even then it had to be EP or DC mobs for most of them unless you were a tank job or a RNG killing worms. Oh, and lest we forget that FoV was only available in certain zones and was hardly the most time-effective means of gaining XP either.

At any rate, the leves system offers large experience gains for less monsters, easier targets (for the most part), and gives you gil rewards as a bonus. Each combat class is capable of holding their own against the majority of enemies in the game (thus far). It's very much tailored to more casual players who have less time on their hands, as opposed to FFXI's grind-a-day method of reaching higher levels.

I'm sure as the updates roll in there will be plenty of content to cater to the more hardcore fanatics as well.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 12:22pm by Glitterhands
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#18 Oct 19 2010 at 10:21 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
preludes wrote:
[quote].

FFXI has a leaves type system with far less restrictions in place and you get buffs from signet to aid in killing lower mobs. You can solo and make daily progress in FFXI without sitting around just lfg, FFXIV is no better than FFXI in that regard.


Ahh...didn't that. Been a awhile since I hung up 11. Maybe I should go back... :)
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#19 Oct 19 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
**
415 posts
preludes wrote:
Quote:
You say "untrue" as if your opinion is fact, and her's is wrong. That's my problem. Rather than adding in your opinion, you made her sound like she was wrong. Opinions can't be wrong.

Regardless, it doesn't matter, it's just semantics, and I do think your opinion was valuable. Just the way you said it seemed kind of rude to me after she made a nice post about her personal experiences. No worries though, if she's not offended neither am I :)


Yeah I did because what she said gave an impression of one game being a lot easier to solo and more casual on players than another when it's not, FFXI does have a way to solo all the way upto 75 if you wanted to, you don't have to build parties or wait for an invite.

Why would she or even moreso YOU be offended exactly, this is stating the situation for both games not flaming which would be something some might get offended by. If my intention would of been to offend I could of done a far better job of it I can assure you, that was not my intention at all.

If you wanna say how awesome FFXIV and how much you enjoy it then fine but don't say things that are not true or make another game look bad with comments which are also not true and there will be a lot fewer posts calling you up on it.

Did you even play FFXI at release? Something tells me you didn't.

FFXIV is MUCH more solo friendly than XI was, and is still much more solo friendly to an inexperienced player than XI currently is.

Which brings me to the question: Wtf are you rambling on about?
#20 Oct 19 2010 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Yeah, right. Fields of Valor was on a time restriction, gave lousy experience points and only suited the few classes actually capable of soloing.


Yeah FF14 has no such restrictions....oh wait :(

Xp was fine, not what you possibly were accustomed to but it was perfectly acceptable, decent progress and the FF14 leave system is no massive XP gain either.

Also yes I did actually do FoV myself on Whm many times with a club, easily. Rdm, sam, war and blm and many other jobs too.

Quote:
Did you even play FFXI at release? Something tells me you didn't.

FFXIV is MUCH more solo friendly than XI was, and is still much more solo friendly to an inexperienced player than XI currently is.

Which brings me to the question: Wtf are you rambling on about?


What does that have to do with anything, compare one game to another not how it was 10 years ago. Nonsense argument.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 12:31pm by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#21 Oct 19 2010 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
33 posts
I thought FFXIV was more casual friendly until i realized i was spending an hour or two just trying to find/sell items that should have only taken minutes to find/sell.
Then i realized that crafting was the same thing, over and over and over.
For the battle classes, u get new abilities. You have to change your tactics depending on the mob ur fighting or who your grouping with.
But with crafting, lvl 20 is the same as lvl 10, the only thing that really changes is the items. Yes you get a few worthless abilities but they dont affect gameplay much.

Atleast in FFXI the world was your oyster..
So if you want to log in for an hour or so of repetition every day. VOILA! FFXIV
or maybe im just being cynical.
#22 Oct 19 2010 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, I think if I had a more available duo partner, I would have enjoyed things more too. What I will say though, is that every casual friendly item you mentioned aside from being able to solo the main story, appears in most other MMOs, and is often even more casual friendly.
____________________________


#23 Oct 19 2010 at 10:40 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
preludes wrote:
Quote:
Did you even play FFXI at release? Something tells me you didn't.

FFXIV is MUCH more solo friendly than XI was, and is still much more solo friendly to an inexperienced player than XI currently is.

Which brings me to the question: Wtf are you rambling on about?


What does that have to do with anything, compare one game to another not how it was 10 years ago. Nonsense argument.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 12:31pm by preludes

Read the last part of my post.

You bringing up XI is a redundant argument that serves no real purpose other than to compare the two games, which is a subject that's been beaten to death, and has nothing to do with the OP. She didn't enjoy XI as much as she's enjoying XIV. Live with it.
#24 Oct 19 2010 at 10:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
preludes wrote:
What does that have to do with anything, compare one game to another not how it was 10 years ago. Nonsense argument.


Yeah. Comparing one FF at launch to a previous FF at launch is nonsense. Makes much more sense to compare FFXI after 7 years of patching to FFXIV at launch. Silly us.
____________________________
Aion: Laine, 42 Elyos Ranger - Zikel (Retired)
WoW: Laine, 80 Draenei Hunter - Arthas (Retired)
FFXI: Kito, 75 Mithra SAM/RNG - Bismarck (Retired)
Jamie, giving female MMO players a good name since 2002!
#25 Oct 19 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
OP: Yes! 4 kids here. For an hour or two a day FFXIV is great!

At some point, I'm afraid the solo-friendly nature will wear off as we have to give a whole week of 1~2 hour play sessions to gain a single Rank. So be it. I'm in no hurry as long as I'm having a good time.

I do want to party more eventually. Short parties that still offer advancement. I hope Leve parties will be just that. Grind parties may be a bit more casual as well if there is no strict 6 person party size. Gone are the days of downtime waiting for a replacement WHM. Equip your own healing abilities and continue.

As for FFXI, you could easily solo a few classes. I would include DRK and most melee with /DNC sub. Anything that had access to crossbow and Bloody Bolts!

Anyone who is complaining about not being able to solo WHM or BRD is just backwards. Say you got to 75 BRD solo, then what? Continue to solo on the game's most underpowered classes? If you go to Dynamis then you are no longer soloing. They are meant for party. They excel in a group situations. You single out the jobs with the weakest attacks and say that you couldn't solo well. If you want to solo, you may want to play a job with attack and defense.

So as we move forward with FFXIV let's not base discussions about if it can be soloed or not on the basis of Wrist Flick.
#26 Oct 19 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I think if you are not in a hurry to level up quickly then yes FFXIV is very solo friendly. Also some jobs (like botanist, miner, fisher) are inherently solo friendly. I started a botany mule before going to bed on Monday and when I logged off last night it was R10. After doing a few leves at lunch time today it will be R11. If my LS isn't up for a Coerthas party tonight I will probably keep playing on the mule tonight and it will likely be between R13-R15 by the end of the night.

I like the fact I can switch modes. Bored of crafting? I do something else. The only thing I am really annoyed with right now is not being able to hire another retainer - which makes it not much fun to gather on my main since I just end up playing the inventory management game. I'm enjoying my gather mule though. I think I'll keep him.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#27 Oct 19 2010 at 11:22 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Simool wrote:
preludes wrote:
[quote]
Yeah I did because what she said gave an impression of one game being a lot easier to solo and more casual on players than another when it's not, FFXI does have a way to solo all the way upto 75 if you wanted to, you don't have to build parties or wait for an invite.



You are just talking nonsense now...may wanna give up that notion right now. There were certain FFXI class that were (slightly)solo friendly til 75...like beast and sum, as long as you were very good at what you did and had very good gear. I really don't think I could have solo'd my Bard to 75...if I could ***********, that would be one bad-*** Bard.

In FFXIV...everyone can designed to be a one person wrecking crew if you want to build yourself up. Its seems to be a giant world of Blue Mages. I like it...but its nothing like FFXI when it comes to soloing.

And BLU and BLM and RDM and SCH and DRG and PUP.

Why would you solo on BRD? They got invites so lightning fast that it was essentially unnecessary, and every party you would be in would by definition have a BRD in it. If you didn't totally suck, that meant that worst case scenario you still had a pretty decent party, and on average had very good parties.

charityneverfaileth wrote:
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.
Yet she's clearly enjoying it. So they must have done some things right for the casual gamer.
Good for her, stick with it. I'm just not seeing where the casual aspects are, outside of the concept of leves. A casual game should have very easy access to things like the market and have a low hardware requirement. SE seems to want the game to be more casual but ends up balancing it out by adding even more hardcore aspects than FFXI in cases.

RivenKito wrote:
charityneverfaileth wrote:
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I don't have a lot of time to play online games.
Nothing about FFXIV really screams casual play though. The exp curve is harsher than FFXI's. They actually put grind into the market.
Yet she's clearly enjoying it. So they must have done some things right for the casual gamer.
Nope. His opinion is fact. Quit trying to argue.
No, thanks for the condescending comment though. My opinion is my opinion, her opinion is her opinion. If she didn't want it discussed she shouldn't have posted it at all.



Edited, Oct 19th 2010 12:26pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#28 Oct 19 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
To those who are discussing soloing is just as easy in XI as in XIV:

I am happy you guys have had great success (or your friends) have had great success in XI. And you are right FOV has made things much easier for people who want to solo. Good! Glad they have figured it out....however I have not nor do I have time to figure our which jobs are great at solo and with which sub job. I don't have time to bring said sub-job(s) *yes i mean sub-jobs as in plural cause I do know for BLM solo you need a few* to sub cap which is now level 40. I honestly just don't have that sort of time to dedicate....to grinding jobs...in order to see a story line. I have at most two hours every 2-7 days. I seriously can't play as much as hard core gamers. So to me, playing XI just isn't fun, especially since the only reason why I wanted to play it was to see storylines :/ which I have not been able to do because I lack the time to delve into a hardcore LS community who schedules times to take part in said story lines which I hear are awesome :/

As for soloing certian jobs..which ones have you solo'd ? Because last time I checked whm was not a very easy solo job to do...I know...I tried...and I <3 whm that can kick ****...my conjurer can kick more **** than my whm...physically Oo;...because I can build it up to do so :) I can't do that with whm :/ That's just my exp.

Not trying to fuss or anything, the whole point of me starting this thread is to share my exp, my joy that I am having with this game. There is so much negative energy surrounding it, and some of it is justified, and I'm glad people are speaking out against some of the issues so they can be resolved.

However, I won't let anyone rain on my parade :) I like the game, suits my lifestyle :) Thanks though for all the comments! ^_^
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#29 Oct 19 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Yeah I was really happy when I could solo my R1-R20 missions this weekend.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 Oct 19 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
As for soloing certian jobs..which ones have you solo'd ? Because last time I checked whm was not a very easy solo job to do...I know...I tried...and I <3 whm that can kick ****...my conjurer can kick more **** than my whm...physically Oo;...because I can build it up to do so :) I can't do that with whm :/ That's just my exp.
I soloed on WHM/NIN while lfp around... low 70's or high 60's? Out at cape terrigan. It was pretty fun, and fairly straightforward. With haste/pro/shell/flash/stoneskin/utsu/auspice/afflatus misery/enfeebles/repose I actually found it very manageable, even for FFXI which was so focused on group play especially above 20~30. It got much easier to solo on WHM at 75 with Mystic Boon, because you could focus more on DDing, gain utsu: ni for much more adaptive defenses, and restore MP a ton quicker. Will admit that it's pretty tough in the mid levels though.

CON is more of BLM RDM and WHM rolled up into a single class though. BLM was by far the best solo job in FFXI, I had no problem soloing on BLM from 40 to 75, and often got better exp/hour than I did in parties up until 70+. Really not fair to compare the offensive strengths of CON to WHM, as that was not WHM's role.



Edited, Oct 19th 2010 1:02pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#31 Oct 19 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
13 posts
I would like to agree with the OP. I too am enjoying the game so far.

I do not like to just level and get to end game--actually i don't enjoy end game. I love the journey getting there. The exploring in this game is amazing. As you can tell I am pretty new. I did get collectors addition but tried out multiple charactor creations until i finally liked the movement etc of my Grey colored Miqote.

I love the fact that I can change my job on a whim, craft, mine/fish/gather, etc. I do hope they fix the lag and time it takes to do some of these things but I play this game to relax at the end of my day. And so far this game has accomplished that for me.

You can try and bash all of us people who actually enjoy this game all you want. I don't care. FYI I played FFXI since NA launch and it was very hard to start back then. Now the game is so easy it is boring to me. So to me this is a breath of fresh air just because it is different. Whether it has lasting power or not I don't care right now. For now I am enjoying myself and believe it is worth playing.

Not saying the game doesn't need some major patches but honestly if you hate it so much why not just stop logging in and stop coming to these forums. Why not just leave some constructive critism on the other forum and watch what SE does or doesn't do.

Relook at the game in January and see if you want to play it or not.
#32 Oct 19 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
27 posts
As for someone who started FFXI at NA PC launch as a subless blackmage, I for one, appreciate how much more casual FFXIV is compared to what I had to go through back then.
#33 Oct 19 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
polyhedral wrote:
As for someone who started FFXI at NA PC launch as a subless blackmage, I for one, appreciate how much more casual FFXIV is compared to what I had to go through back then.


lolz I did this too.... like three months after launch but same **** thing. Took me a month to get to level 20.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#34 Oct 19 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
179 posts
I can completely relate to the OP. I don't always have time to play; I'm often busy with work, housework, gym, gf, etc. FFXIV allows me to group for a couple of leves or solo or do some DoH/DoL stuff in a short amount of time. When I do these activities, they're fun and rewarding.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#35 Oct 19 2010 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
I totally agree with the OP.

I truely love FFXI, my favorite MMO of all times besides EQ1, and i have to say FFXIV is much more solo and casual friendly. When i say that, I say in terms of progressing in the story line. Of course you can solo your class, but progressing through the story was almost impposible.

From trying to get to Rank 10, opening up Sea and Sky, The Tresures story line, the add ons, etc. Those were not solo or casual friendly at all. I believe that's what the OP is talking about and I believe FFXIV allows her to do that. Though there's not much now, i'm sure down the line there will be more and from what i've seen so far, i believe the stories will be just as awesome as FFXI's was but without having to ask people for help.
#36 Oct 19 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
I enjoy the game quite a bit. I only put in about 2-3 hours a night after work, but I actually got quite a bit done. To those who think the Exp curve is steeper than FFXI...

I got to physical level 16 and fisherman 11 and Pug 8 and Lnc 10 and Gla 5 in about 4 days. In FFXI It took me a week to get to 10 RDM (when I first started).

And as for FFXI is as casual as FFXIV... bullock. You accidently die once in FFXI you lose all your hard work for the past hour. You die 100 times in FFXIV, you just goto the repair npc.

That by itself makes FFXIV tons more casual than FFXI. FFXI is down right draconian when comparing to FFXIV.

In FFXIV so far there are no leve and missions I needed a group to finish (well aside from the experimentation with 2 star leve - which espressly said are for duos).

In FFXI I had to get parties constantly to do anything worthwhile.

Not to say FFXIV will not require parties for high level stuff, but at the level where I am now, I find solo to be perfectly rewarding - unlike FFXI.
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#37 Oct 19 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
RivenKito wrote:
Lilitha, I appreciate this post, I'm debating on whether or not to jump in the game this week, so info like this helps. It seems a lot more casual- and solo-friendly than FFXI was, at least at launch.


People who started casual and have been trying different things have not yet hit the point (rank 20+) where they realize that it will take them a month of logging in for an hour or two a day to reach their next level. Your sense of accomplishment will fly out the window at that point. Sure you can solo, but with such a steep curve for your next rank you'll wish you had to solo in FFXI instead.

I'm not trying to convince you not to get the game, but you should know that this party is over not long after it starts. Not being negative, just honest. People need to get away from the "log in and feel like I accomplished something" and move on to the "log in and have fun playing a videogame". If you need to feel like you got a level or ranked up a craft everytime you login then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#38 Oct 19 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
I agree that around level 20 things do change. BUT, for the casual gamer that just wants to log in and fun, they can still do that. Levels do take forever, but what's the rush? I for one am enjoying the experience.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#39 Oct 19 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
13 posts
It took me 2 years to get my warrior to level 75 in FFXI and I enjoyed it. So why the rush? Enjoy the game. FF games are a lot about the journey not what level you are or if you are the first to level 50 etc.

End game world is not the end all of the game. Never understood the rushing in FFXI either. Just like the fact that after all the FFXIV bashing I am not the only one enjoying myself. :)
#40 Oct 19 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
I'm seriously LoLing at this thread. People who havn't played ffxi since 05 think its the same game now.

I just got done leveling thf to farm with 1-85THF in less than 20hours playtime with a combination of Smn burn & Abyssea.
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#41 Oct 19 2010 at 4:14 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Telaki wrote:
I'm seriously LoLing at this thread. People who havn't played ffxi since 05 think its the same game now.

I just got done leveling thf to farm with 1-85THF in less than 20hours playtime with a combination of Smn burn & Abyssea.


I quit FFXI in January...
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#42 Oct 19 2010 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Telaki wrote:
I'm seriously LoLing at this thread. People who havn't played ffxi since 05 think its the same game now.

I just got done leveling thf to farm with 1-85THF in less than 20hours playtime with a combination of Smn burn & Abyssea.



Good for you! However everyone I asked about Abyssea, this was a monnth and a half ago, said I need to be 65+ to enjoy it. So you basically leeched, which is fine, I totatlly get it. Leveling grinding to catch up with friends is harsh. But now you are stuck having to cap any skills you may not have capped....or you just capped everything on war aeons ago, if so good for you...time I don't have.

I just want to enjoy a story line, not level grind for years to see the story of a game, or hurry up and grind to participate in end game. So far, I can log in, with just my husband and enjoy exploring a new game...without feeling like a complete idiot for asking a question cause chances are...majority of the people in this new game are in my boat.

It's like a fresh start. And like one poster said, I am in NO rush to level cap. I am just having fun exploring, crafting, questing and level grinding. When 20+ comes around, I still plan on doing level grinding with my hubbie, just going at it slow...maybe we'll invite a few people here and there...but it won't be because we NEED to...it will be because we want to :)

I can build my character to what I need it to be...stats, elementals...other abilities from other jobs...not just main job /subjob :/. So my conjurer won't have to be as physically weak as my whm is. I can build her stats to meet my purpose, and that's what I plan to do ^^ /fun /cheer :P
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#43 Oct 19 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
For those of you stated XI was easy to solo, you're talking about XI 8 years after launched. If XI was like it first launched in Japan, there's simply no way for new players to catch up with the old players. If you look at XI when it first launched in Japan, you could barely solo to 12 and from there on, you were forced to get in party if you want to level up. Eight years from now, and if XIV is still running, I can almost bet you anything that it'll only take a couple of weeks for new players to level to cap just like XI is now.
#44 Oct 19 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
18 posts
I like how this thread turned into a ******* match over who can solo in XI and who can't.

but clearly, my epeen is bigger, so I win.

Anyhoo, OP I'm enjoying the game as well. Long time vet of XI and being a mom definitely puts the game differences into perspective and allows you to appreciate the casual-friendliness of XIV.

My only problem these days is my 8 year old daughter wants her OWN copy of XIV now...*sigh*
____________________________
Gallery http://errnproke.com/
#45 Oct 19 2010 at 6:01 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Oh wow :( Yeah, I don't know if I ever want my daughter to know about online gaming LOL. I'm worried she'll get sucked in and I'll never see her again :P However my daughter is only 16 mo old :P
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#46 Oct 19 2010 at 6:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Oh wow :( Yeah, I don't know if I ever want my daughter to know about online gaming LOL. I'm worried she'll get sucked in and I'll never see her again :P However my daughter is only 16 mo old :P


Lol, I think it would be totally opposite. If she's sucked in online gaming, you would know exactly where you can find her.
#47 Oct 19 2010 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Nah I would rather her be intersted in sports and after school activities :o. She has all her adult life to feed such addiction, only one shot at being a kid :P
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#48 Oct 19 2010 at 6:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
Telaki wrote:
I'm seriously LoLing at this thread. People who havn't played ffxi since 05 think its the same game now.

I just got done leveling thf to farm with 1-85THF in less than 20hours playtime with a combination of Smn burn & Abyssea.


You do realize that comparing Abyssea to FFXIV is as close to comparing apples to oranges as you can get, right? Abyssea is FFXIs final hurrah, the Game Genie cheat code to FFXI, etc. FFXI is on its last leg and SE is literally doing things they promised they'd never do (level past 75) in the hopes of getting more playtime out of FFXI. They're basically letting you solo all the story content with the combination of level cap increases and level restriction abolishments. And as you've stated, they've implemented a new area with incredible exp/hr and ignoring SMN burns (which would have been "fixed" if they were popular in 2005).

And then we have FFXIV, a brand new MMO that is currently lacking in high-level content. Yet you act surprised that we can't power-level to the cap in 20 hours play time.

Comparing leveling speed in FFXI launch is a MUCH more valid comparison than FFXI now. So the people comparing FFXI of 2005 to FFXIV are actually doing it right. And really, we don't care what FFXI plays like now. If we did we'd probably be on the FFXI forums.
#49 Oct 19 2010 at 6:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
284 posts
Glad you guys are having fun. I am too. I play a few hours a day casual compared to how I played FFxi for sure. However I was able to get lots done just by having fun. My playstyle is simply...I have gear and all classes macroed so i can change on the fly.

If I see a mining point I swap to miner and mine. If I see a harvest/logging point same deal. If I see a mob that drops shards I am low on atm I switch to wutever job I want to get the sp skill for and kill it.

I do my leves when they reset with my highest job for gil. Then I go back to just exploring and doing wutever it is I feel like doing at the time. I love the freedom and like I said I have been in party only about 1% of the time.

Check my sig if you want to see what is totally possible with playing a small amount of time just doing wutever.

Lodestone is nice for this reason.
#50 Oct 19 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
**
650 posts
Just think in FFXI everytime you go back to your lower class, your stats go low accordingly...in FFXIV, your stats doesn't change on each class you change. And those big stats translates to some bigger bonuses on your lower class...

at level 10 THM i was heving a hard time killing a dodo. Now using a rank 10 CON, I am eating them for breakfast...
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#51 Oct 19 2010 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
I'm just kind of checking in on forums every now and then; I haven't played since release week and I have no plans on doing so until they get the problems sorted...

...or I lose interest, completely.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)