Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Do we have a Goal in FFXIV...?Follow

#52 Oct 19 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
Quite so, so why rush to get there? Stop and smell the roses along the way. If they're not fragrant to your liking then find some different roses.


I don't think anyone is saying they are in a rush to get to level cap at all. In fact, the OP was asking what can I do right now with my character other than rush to level cap.

I agree there just aren't enough things to do yet. Unfortunately, they are going to have to work out the major bugs with the UI and design issues before they can get to actual content, so we might be waiting a while.

I'd like to see a **** of a lot more random things to do at all levels. I really feel like they put too much of their time and effort into designing crafting and completely missed what made most folks fall in love with the jRPG to begin with.


Exactly , I know we have a while to wait but that's bring me back to my first comment , the game isn't done yet so why did they launch it =[ I know maybe in a year it will be a great game but speaking about the game right now , it's bad :(I've got my FF14 open since 1h30 this morning and i still haven't done a single thing because im not motivated , rushing the lvl cap with rats and stuff isn't really my thing.

Add some Excitement on the way add something haha.

I almost went back to WoW 30min ago O_O But i had a flashback how crappy the community is and how dumb the game is. Game play is great lots of thing to do on your way to lvl cap , but once at lvl cap you farm item which suck.

Thats what FF is missing , stuff to do on our way to lvl cap. Because killing a million of dodo to get lvl 50 isn't great.
#53 Oct 19 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc
#54 Oct 19 2010 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying they are in a rush to get to level cap at all. In fact, the OP was asking what can I do right now with my character other than rush to level cap.


Right, but I think what we're all trying to figure out is what other MMO style game has the type of content the OP is looking for anywhere before end game?

OP mentions going to a dungeon and killing stuff for a mission and that this doesn't exist in FFXIV. But that is false. The third(i think?) Ul'dah mission has you killing about 15 mobs as they descend on you. It wasn't the easiest fight at 14 GLD.

Another poster has mentioned faction leves are like BCNM's. Which are roughly equivalent to the low level instances in WoW. This is the "end game" content of vanilla FFXIV. Much like BCNM were the "end game" of ffxi until the first expansion came out. (I think, its possible they weren't added until then too)

The similarities between he FFXIV and FFXI release timeline are uncanny. Why? Because their plan was successful the first time so they are following it again.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 2:21pm by windexy
#55 Oct 19 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.
#56 Oct 19 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
The 4 World Dragons were up before BWL was , maybe not in the first week but still we have end game stuff alrealy WITH dungeons for LOWER LEVELS.


I have to step in here and actually say that you're incorrect. WoW launched with 3 gearing instances for 2 raiding dungeons, but it didn't actually have any world bosses. Kazzak/Azuregos didn't come in until the 2nd patch (1.3), BWL 3 later (1.6) and the green dragons didn't come until 2 after that (1.8).

It's correct in saying WoW launched with remarkably more content and fairly well fleshed, but it wasn't that well fleshed.

Ahrounmoon wrote:
Quite so, so why rush to get there? Stop and smell the roses along the way. If they're not fragrant to your liking then find some different roses.

I'm mostly quoting you because it was your post that triggered an amusing thought I wanted to share, not because I'm trying to call you out on anything.


Because not everyone gives a **** about the timesink that's called leveling. You can spend all the time you want 'smelling the roses' (which I seriously don't see how that applies when you're just grinding monsters all the way to level cap), but not everyone enjoys the leveling process. They care more about the content at endgame that actually lasts for much longer.

Having other stuff is good, but it has to be useful. There were tons of other things to do in FFXI, but they were ultimately deemed useless because they imparted no worth to players. Oh sure, they were fun, but if people truly wanted just something fun, and not a reward, then everyone that currently plays in FFXI would have finished all missions wouldn't they?

KThunderspear wrote:
I almost went back to WoW 30min ago O_O But i had a flashback how crappy the community is and how dumb the game is. Game play is great lots of thing to do on your way to lvl cap , but once at lvl cap you farm item which suck.


Oh please.

WoW's community is no different than FFXI's, which is no different than FFXIV's, who is no different than LotRO's, which is.... you got the picture yet? You have the same age ranges, the same amounts of harsh critics and blind fanboys, and the same amount of *********

......and you don't farm for items once you hit the level cap in FFXI?

Oh, you do?

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 3:33pm by StrijderVechter
#57 Oct 19 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
Anyway i dont remember exactly what was in the release of Wow 6 years ago i can't barely remember what i ate last week so..... my point was only to mention we had way more stuff to do on WoW at the launch than grinding I.E: Boars , if you had to grind boars ONLY until you hit lvl 60 ? you would have been so ****** at WoW. Thats exactly it with FF. WoW we had the choice to do w/e we want to level up.

You want to grind fine grind !
You wanna quest until your eye bleeds ? Fine do 500 Quests today !
You hate questing or solo play ? fine a party and beat the *** of some bosses all these dungeons.

We had a choice. This time we dont. You do leves , Craft , Grind wait for reset /repeat.

( In case some people lost the sight on the discussion i do not like WoW , im really tire of it , i just love the way they give us the choice to do whatever we want.)

Edit : WoW community isn't different ? omg... You ask for a freaking dirrection in WoW or a price , all you heard is : LOLLL NOOOB !!! YOUR MOM !!! IM BETTER THAN YOU !!! LOL YOU SUCKKK

At least in FF when i stop and talk to people they are kind and nice , i can't stop and start talking with someone on WoW , theres 1 chance out of 2 hes under 12 years old which isn't great or that guy will insult you freely without any reason.

Dont come and tell me WoW community is just the same , ive played alot of Online game and trust me , WoW got the worst community.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 3:36pm by KThunderspear
#58 Oct 19 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
548 posts
By "goal" I'm guessing you mean endgame? Like, big boss battles and loot treadmills and dungeon grinds? I'm not aware of any endgame activities that exist right now in FFXIV.

Although, in an MMO, everyone should set their own personal goals and game world should support multiple paths of character advancement, progression, and achievement.

The hardcore need to shift their focus to some horizontal character development, otherwise you are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. I saw a rank 37 CON yesterday on Bodhum. If people aren't intentionally rushing to level cap I guess they just accidentally spend 10 hours a day grinding xp and you end up with a rank 37 conjurer.

I posted in a thread like two (2) weeks ago stating that people would be @ lvl cap inside of a month. Some people said I was crazy. I think it's going to be a photo finish.....

____________________________
MUTED
#59 Oct 19 2010 at 1:39 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
I dont care about end-game stop thinking that so far i wont even make it to end game because theres a lack on content on the way to end-game , they can do w/e they want for end-game i would prolly be happy , but for lvling cmon add something because grinding in the open world and competing with others to tag the mob... that's not great

Edit:Just finished reading all your post haha but yeah 1 week ago a saw a level 36 Gladiator... Obviously that guy doesnt mind farming Marmot all day long

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 3:41pm by KThunderspear
#60 Oct 19 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


All im saying is that you're in a wow mindset. Wow caters to millions of people, its a lazy game and they are making it easier with each expansion. Comparing wow to ffxiv is like apples and oranges, becuase of wows popularity most mmo's will be compared to it, which really sucks becuase if they are too much like it it.. then its a wow clone, but if they arent then the game instantly "sucks" Its a damned if they do, damned if they dont kind of situation. I personally craft. I was always on the buying end of ffxi becuase of a late start, this time I want to be the one on the other side of the fence. You see there is no end game right now, you want something else to do? Why not set yourself up for making profits in the future. And about the "no content, game was released early etc etc" I figured a wow player would know that cataclysm is right around the corner, and could see that this was an attempt by se to blast a product out the door to establish a playerbase before they would start playing cata.
#61 Oct 19 2010 at 1:50 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
You should have given FFXI a try to be honest. People talk a lot of smack about it, but it really was enjoyable once you got past the learning curve. The world was vast and realistic, and you really felt like you were a part of it.

I am a WoW player as well, so I understand your language probably better than some of the folks in here (judging by the comments).

What you guys should understand and acknowledge is that WoW was designed with a sort of end game content at every level group. Someone mentioned Deadmines so I will use that example - it's a challenging low level dungeon that you can do to augment your grinding (or in place of it entirely). Then there's Shadowfang Keep, Stockades, Scarlet Monastery, Uldaman, Blackrock Depths... And those were only a few before they started adding more with patches. With every expansion and sometimes game patches, there is a new set of dungeons to tackle at your level range.

I don't want FFXIV to necessarily follow this model, but to say that it's ok not to have ANY sort of actual goal-oriented content at release is really looking at the game through rose-colored glasses. There is literally nothing to do but craft, grind, leves, and maybe a CS or two of the story line every 5-10 levels.

There's nothing that really gives you the feeling of anticipation when you are exploring a new dungeon hoping for treasure and glory. I can't say that I was around at JP release of FFXI, but somehow I can't believe that it truly released with as little actual content as this game has.
#62 Oct 19 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
I think players just want to know what they'll be doing in a year. Thats the issue for me. Is it going to be dungeons? Is it going to be leves? camping NMs? Is it going to be finishing ranks/AF type quests and then helping others? I really don't feel its unreasonable to wonder this.
____________________________


#63 Oct 19 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


All im saying is that you're in a wow mindset. Wow caters to millions of people, its a lazy game and they are making it easier with each expansion. Comparing wow to ffxiv is like apples and oranges, becuase of wows popularity most mmo's will be compared to it, which really sucks becuase if they are too much like it it.. then its a wow clone, but if they arent then the game instantly "sucks" Its a damned if they do, damned if they dont kind of situation. I personally craft. I was always on the buying end of ffxi becuase of a late start, this time I want to be the one on the other side of the fence. You see there is no end game right now, you want something else to do? Why not set yourself up for making profits in the future. And about the "no content, game was released early etc etc" I figured a wow player would know that cataclysm is right around the corner, and could see that this was an attempt by se to blast a product out the door to establish a playerbase before they would start playing cata.

I stopped reading at the 2nd line cause you got my point right there.WoW is making is easier with each expansion which is why i enjoyed WoW only during the first year , when everything was done in your realm only ( PvP and PvE )

When WoW started everything was hard , Quest , Dungeons even profession was hard. Now everything is easy and it suck BUT they still have a game full of content , dont dont ask their players to lvlup only by 1 or 2 ways like i said in my previous post.

Keep that in mind , WoW was good when it was hard and being 60 with MC gears actually meant something. Now WoW is a pure waste of time i totaly agree and im not that kind of MMO player. BUT Im not either the kind of players that will grind marmot forever.

I like a good balance between a hard game and a game where you need to grind forever.
#64 Oct 19 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


I scholared you... use your power wisely.

You're right - we don't want to grind dodos for a million hours... lol, and we do want more content... but there is actually still quite a bit to do.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#65 Oct 19 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I want to know why removing time sinks is a bad thing. thats all WOW's been doing over the years. faster trip to level cap is better on new players, and people who want to try another job. Badge gear allows people to raid with their friends after a break and not get left behind, ditto for people trying new jobs.

Fights seem easier now because they're aided by better addons, and more experianced players figuring things out faster. its easier because its people have been doing the same thing for 6 years, within their system they can only innovate boss fights so much.
____________________________


#66 Oct 19 2010 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


All im saying is that you're in a wow mindset. Wow caters to millions of people, its a lazy game and they are making it easier with each expansion. Comparing wow to ffxiv is like apples and oranges, becuase of wows popularity most mmo's will be compared to it, which really sucks becuase if they are too much like it it.. then its a wow clone, but if they arent then the game instantly "sucks" Its a damned if they do, damned if they dont kind of situation. I personally craft. I was always on the buying end of ffxi becuase of a late start, this time I want to be the one on the other side of the fence. You see there is no end game right now, you want something else to do? Why not set yourself up for making profits in the future. And about the "no content, game was released early etc etc" I figured a wow player would know that cataclysm is right around the corner, and could see that this was an attempt by se to blast a product out the door to establish a playerbase before they would start playing cata.

I stopped reading at the 2nd line cause you got my point right there.WoW is making is easier with each expansion which is why i enjoyed WoW only during the first year , when everything was done in your realm only ( PvP and PvE )

When WoW started everything was hard , Quest , Dungeons even profession was hard. Now everything is easy and it suck BUT they still have a game full of content , dont dont ask their players to lvlup only by 1 or 2 ways like i said in my previous post.

Keep that in mind , WoW was good when it was hard and being 60 with MC gears actually meant something. Now WoW is a pure waste of time i totaly agree and im not that kind of MMO player. BUT Im not either the kind of players that will grind marmot forever.

I like a good balance between a hard game and a game where you need to grind forever.



I think you would have liked 11...I quit becuase I had finished all story quests, fought AV, got all the jobs I wanted to at max and was fully caught up with Aught urgan quests as they were released. That and I couldnt make money to save my life. The reason they dont have content/end game now is...its a rushed product, plain and simple. Endgame will come when people start getting up to "end game" content. Alternately, take a look around. Everything that EVERYBODY is wearing was crafted...perhaps they released with no content so that WOULD happen so when ps3 players come in there will be items readily available. I also played wow for 3 years just so were clear.
#67 Oct 19 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
291 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


I think XIV is not the right MMO for you afterall.
I'm pretty sure that even if there're more contents added to the game, the basic mechanism of the game would still be the same. If you have never played XI, I can tell you that in XI, players would log in, start looking for group, then prayed that this is a good group that'll last for as long as it can be, then go to a spot and start camping for hours. That's how everyone get to level cap. Then if you want some awesome gears from NM, you would camp at the NM's spawn spot for hours (sometimes days, depend on how long is the respawn time of the NM and how fast you can pull it). The main reason for many people to keep playing this game now is because they want to be prepared, when the "more action" and "more epic fight" come out, they're already capped their level, so they can be the first to kill the epic mob or the first to do the epic quest. They chose to start now because they can always make the best in game gears so they can control the enconomy. They chose to grind dodos now because they're easy to kill and they drop a lot of wind and lighting shards/crystals. There're always a reason for people to do something. If you can't find your reason to do it, maybe this is not for you, and you should move on to something else where you can actually enjoy the game.
#68 Oct 19 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*
88 posts
You know it's very simple I think.

Theres isn't much to do outside of crafting, leves and grinding.

All thats stuff is fine but thats really all there is. I mean come one SE. Atleast ONE boss or ONE dungeon. Thats not asking a lot even if you have to be rank 20 phys 20. But theres isn't any thing like that right now.

Thats what I see and thats the point I think the OP is trying to make. Why does everyone jump the gun when any one makes mention to the lack of content.

If you love the game or not the fact is there isn't much in content at all right now. The point is there should be something at least ONE thing to work toward. I'm not expecting end game content or even mid game content. But a starter dungeon and maybe starter boss in each city area.

Thats not asking a lot if you ask me.
#69 Oct 19 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
sparkytenks wrote:
You know it's very simple I think.

Theres isn't much to do outside of crafting, leves and grinding.

All thats stuff is fine but thats really all there is. I mean come one SE. Atleast ONE boss or ONE dungeon. Thats not asking a lot even if you have to be rank 20 phys 20. But theres isn't any thing like that right now.

Thats what I see and thats the point I think the OP is trying to make. Why does everyone jump the gun when any one makes mention to the lack of content.

If you love the game or not the fact is there isn't much in content at all right now. The point is there should be something at least ONE thing to work toward. I'm not expecting end game content or even mid game content. But a starter dungeon and maybe starter boss in each city area.

Thats not asking a lot if you ask me.


You got it.
#70 Oct 19 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
I thought the faction Leves are like BCNM fights?

Arn't the Boss like Inferno Drake and that Huge Beastmen next to him?
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#71 Oct 19 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
JamesX wrote:
I thought the faction Leves are like BCNM fights?

Arn't the Boss like Inferno Drake and that Huge Beastmen next to him?


Nawww... these people who can't beat ANY beastman or drake want SE to make a "boss" that is weaker than the stuff roaming the land... because that makes sense amirite?

My goal is get to the level where I can take revenge on antlings.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#72 Oct 19 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
291 posts
sparkytenks wrote:
You know it's very simple I think.

Theres isn't much to do outside of crafting, leves and grinding.

All thats stuff is fine but thats really all there is. I mean come one SE. Atleast ONE boss or ONE dungeon. Thats not asking a lot even if you have to be rank 20 phys 20. But theres isn't any thing like that right now.

Thats what I see and thats the point I think the OP is trying to make. Why does everyone jump the gun when any one makes mention to the lack of content.

If you love the game or not the fact is there isn't much in content at all right now. The point is there should be something at least ONE thing to work toward. I'm not expecting end game content or even mid game content. But a starter dungeon and maybe starter boss in each city area.

Thats not asking a lot if you ask me.


I see your point, but as for now, I'd rather the dev team put all of their time on the UI issue, market ward search function, the chat system, group exp distribution and the lag issue first. Adding a boss type of mob somewhere in the map shouldn't be hard to do, but until they fully ironed out those issues, adding a boss or a dungeon or any endgame content just wouldn't make any sense.

As for dungeon, I was wondering around the map in Grindina in OB, and I walked down a cave and then I was in a tunnel, the tunnel was full of red mobs so I couldn't go any further. I don't know what's at the end of the tunnel, maybe it leads to another piece of map, maybe it leads to a castle or another cave that can possibly be the nest of a boss in the future.

I'm really not worrying about lack of content for this game, but before they put in more content, I really wish they could fix those critical issues first. Honestly, if you feel that the game is lack of content now and it may cause you to quit the game, you really should stop playing it now and wait till more contents are available then come back to the game.
#73 Oct 19 2010 at 8:48 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
Edit : WoW community isn't different ? omg... You ask for a freaking dirrection in WoW or a price , all you heard is : LOLLL NOOOB !!! YOUR MOM !!! IM BETTER THAN YOU !!! LOL YOU SUCKKK

At least in FF when i stop and talk to people they are kind and nice , i can't stop and start talking with someone on WoW , theres 1 chance out of 2 hes under 12 years old which isn't great or that guy will insult you freely without any reason.

Dont come and tell me WoW community is just the same , ive played alot of Online game and trust me , WoW got the worst community.


Nope. They're all equal.

Only deluded people and rabid fanboys will believe that all gaming communities aren't cesspools of idiocy. They're all terrible, they're all filled with bigotry, and they're all infested with fanboys. For whatever complaint you can have about one game's community someone else can attest to that in every other MMO. (Hint: just read the forums of every MMO listed on ZAM; seriously read them and put your blinders aside).

Welcome to the internet!

P.S. If I wanted to make as blind statements and foolish claims as you have done, I could simply state you're pre-teen due to the way you type. Funny how blind stupidity is, isn't it?
#74 Oct 19 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Default
26 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
KThunderspear wrote:
Edit : WoW community isn't different ? omg... You ask for a freaking dirrection in WoW or a price , all you heard is : LOLLL NOOOB !!! YOUR MOM !!! IM BETTER THAN YOU !!! LOL YOU SUCKKK

At least in FF when i stop and talk to people they are kind and nice , i can't stop and start talking with someone on WoW , theres 1 chance out of 2 hes under 12 years old which isn't great or that guy will insult you freely without any reason.

Dont come and tell me WoW community is just the same , ive played alot of Online game and trust me , WoW got the worst community.


Nope. They're all equal.

Only deluded people and rabid fanboys will believe that all gaming communities aren't cesspools of idiocy. They're all terrible, they're all filled with bigotry, and they're all infested with fanboys. For whatever complaint you can have about one game's community someone else can attest to that in every other MMO. (Hint: just read the forums of every MMO listed on ZAM; seriously read them and put your blinders aside).

Welcome to the internet!

P.S. If I wanted to make as blind statements and foolish claims as you have done, I could simply state you're pre-teen due to the way you type. Funny how blind stupidity is, isn't it?

Ooook someone had a bad day , it's ok go to bed early and it will be better tomorrow.


Edited, Oct 19th 2010 11:22pm by KThunderspear
#75 Oct 19 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Decent
*
69 posts
I dont know about you, but every single MMO I played is a grindfest to the end game content? Isnt that why we play these games?

No matter what way you dress the grinding up its still grinding to cap.

Be it LoTRo, WoW....its all the same, diffrent shell.

The only diffrence here is that we are so infant in the game that we don't have a end content because nobody is ready for end content.
It would be a little silly for them to not have premeditated that there would be players approaching end game content by the time they are prepared to release it.

You think SE just sits around watching people grind it out and keep track of eveyrone level? "Oh look so and so just hit rank 50, better get on the 50's content". LOL
Im pretty sure by the look of the opening scene the Leves are going to be your quests and dungeons and increase with diffuculty the higher rank you get. Who knows what SE thinks the cap will be, maybe in perspective rank 50 is a low rank, if the end game cap is 250, rank 50 seems pretty low.

Its all about perspective. Enjoy what you have and look forward to whats to come. Even if that is a current unknown.

Cheers.
#76 Oct 19 2010 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
3 posts
Yeah....I never crafted in 11 simply because it was boring...lol
#77 Oct 19 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
32 posts
You know what im hearing when i read all these posts?


Im hearing a bunch of people who are compaining theres nothing NEW to do in an MMO.

If your bored of doing MMO things (i.e. level grinding, farming, crafting) then your just bored of MMO's in general. If your bored of MMO's in general, then mabey its time to just take a break from playing them?
#78 Oct 20 2010 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
KThunderspear wrote:
ArkansawTalvael wrote:
Op is definately a wow player. FFXI. Grind to 10, go to valkurm..get 18 get subjob items, grind mobs to level that job. Grind more then go to jeuno...where you grind more to go to go find your kazham keys where you....grind more to go to ...etc etc


Whats a WoW player for you ? Someone who played WoW before , yes i did it was the only decent MMO released in the last 5years.

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.


There's certainly nothing wrong with having playing, or continuing to play WoW. It's just a different style of game. Some people always hate the big guys, Microsoft, Google, and for MMOs it's WoW. WoW is a fine game, but it's not for everyone, especially a lot of people who have been playing MMOs for a good while, because it's become so 'cliche' and people want to try something new.

For many of us, FFXIV is that 'new'. I agree with you, it was realeased with problems. But I really think a lot of it is getting blown out of proportion. Attitutes in general tend to feed into themselves. Eventually they become almost an entity of their own right, and I think that's what's being seen here with FFXIV. At the end of the day it doesn't make anyone wrong or right. If someone doesn't like a game because it frusterates them, then who truly has a right to say that isn't right? And if someone truly enjoys the game despite the things that frusterate other people, and maybe even them sometimes too, then no one has any right to tell them they're wrong either.

This whole effort of trying to convince others that the game is good or the game is bad is pointless. That doesn't make everything people have said pointless or any less valid, on both sides of the equation, but it does mean that the frustration people are feeling is being accentuated by what's going on here on the forums, whether they're pro ffxiv or anti ffxiv at this stage of the game.

My advice to people is to relax. Don't stop sharing your opinions. Don't stop 'complaining' about the game if you have issues with it (Btw for those who had followed earlier posts of mine on that subject, I was definitely wrong on some accounts, apologies). Don't stop promoting the game if you like the game. But relax. We, as a forum community, are not innately in competition with each other. Even different opinions does not pit us as foe against foe. It's just a different opinion, nothing to get worked up over.

Anyway, I do hope at least some people take this to heart, because I truly believe it's what's best for us as individuals and what's best for us as a community.

Cheers,

Charity
____________________________
http://www.pbpmap.com/ - play by post rpgs at their best!


#79 Oct 20 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
Just because the game is a "different" style doesn't make it OK for the repetition thats occurring right now.

Do you really think it's OK we've all been doing the same levels killing the same 4-5 different mobs and crafting for weeks on end. I have played other MMOs and I don't expect XIV to be like them all.

But I do expect it to be a game none the less. Again I'm not asking for end game content I'm just saying there should be some STARTER content in general. A reason to explore rather than blindly exploring all the time. A couple bosses for the 15-20 rnk people.

They don't even have to drop crazy loot or need a insane amount of people to fight.
In field or in dungeon what ever. Reward people for some of their hard work and the investment of their time.

If you're lvl/rnk 30 right now and your doing the same exact things with little variation then there is something wrong. There is no denying that. Working to a goal is what a RPG is about and this game is a RPG, MMO or not.

Being different doesn't give it a free pass on lack of content.
I hate to repeat these words I read from others so many times. But I think they should have waited to release the game and extended the beta period.

I have no doubt the game will eventually will have that content and purpose. But now isn't the time it seems.
#80 Oct 20 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
42 posts
windexy wrote:
Quote:
WoW wasn't good BUT it had everything players needed... World boss , Dungeons , Quests , Crafting , PvP , World PvP , mounts ? Right off the start. Day 1 WoW came out we had all this.


World Boss - you got to fight the WORLD BOSS as a lvl 1 starting character, how'd that go?
Dungeons - These are in place, they are scattered throughout the world. They are signified on your map as a yellow arrow.
Quests - Plenty of those - battle, craft, harvest, behest, class quests, main story missions, im running out of steam here but I think I'm missing something...
crafting - i think this is covered.
PvP - not a FF thing not sure why you would expect it
World PvP - same
Transportation - they are in game, no one knows if they are unlocked yet, a quest will unlock chocobos, then another to unlock airships. And you don't simply start with a mount in WoW, it is part of a quest arc.


Look! Its a fairly assenine response to a legitmate question of what are we suppose to do or perhaps more aptly put, why are we grinding levels and what is the purpose? Welcome to the FF community for anyone not reading this who is consider joining. Most of the people playing are almost rabidly blind to the point of insutls are returned with reasonable inquiries are made.

I'm starting to wonder what the goal is too. When I played Vanilla wow, we all knew there were raids to do in the game on day 1 that we just needed to invest the time to progress into. By the time I reached rank 12 I was headed into Ommigar and heading into Ragefire Chasm aka RFC. Five people, taking on elite mobs, working our way to the end boss to complete the quest, get some loot drops, get some lore/story. What happens after the dungeon? More lore/quests/story leading me to go to the barrens...what happens in the barens? Some quests/small tasks to do and then I'm lead to another dungeon WC. I run it a few times and think 'Wow, I can't wait till I get to do the next-dungeon since WC was quite a bit different in design/look than RFC'. Lava-environment/underground harsh cave versus living cave with plants, animals, mold, etc.

What was nice is there was direction, story and I looked forward to leveling. When I level, I get access to a new dungeon, new quests and a new city. Cities in FF aka 'camps' are really ...oddly similar looking. If you showed me a photo of a few camps in Gridania under the right conditions, you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Quests/story in FF require 5-10 ranks to reach the next one; which involves a lengthy grinding process of mobs over and over again through a boring dreadful combat system and all start/begin in the same general location. The story isn't even that interesting that's provided by the quests. A lot of ppl I know find them a skipping thru the overly wordy lengthy non-stop text with no voice-overs. and Dungeons? Well, there isn't a single instanced dungeon in the game as far as I can see. Really, its like wondering around the barrens with no dungeons to run at this point.

No dungeons? No instances? No raids? Can I get a Chains of Promethia copy in ffxiv? I suspect not as there's no enmity/threat/battle system worth mentioning. Healer classes are the epitamy of bordum with no need to do anything but spam cure over and over again every 2 seconds.
#81 Oct 20 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
FFXIV, like all MMORPG, is like those wheels rodents run in.

What is the point of the wheel? to waste time.

But ultimately the goal of any MMORPG is self-defined. I wanted 100 fishing in FFXI and Get all the fishing gear in game. But that is my goal.

Do you need someone else telling you what you want out of an experience?

But on a more lemming note, the point of FFXIV is probably to be the hero of your kingdom and save it from whatever crisis befalls it.

Which involves you having to level up and equipping yourself well to progress in the City storyline.

That is the overall goal, but that might also be pretty esoteric for some.

Edited, Oct 20th 2010 4:06pm by JamesX
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#82 Oct 22 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
KThunderspear wrote:

GW : 2weeks your done.
FFXI : Heard way too many bad thing about the fact that you can't solo and bla bla bla so i haven't tried it.
EVE: Great... Took 2hours to travel between solar system.
WoW: Great game as you level , very poor once you hit lvl cap.
EQ : Too old game is dead imo ( only the real hardcore players that plays since like 10 years still play )

So yes ive played WoW had a great time during first year then after it was 4 years of playing only because i was waiting for that good MMO.

Anyway half of the people think its great because they dont mind grinding marmot for hours just to achieve a higher levels than most of the people.
Other half hate the game for now because its not even near a product you sell for 75$ and then pay per month.

We can talk all we want with our opinion but the fact is the game wasn't ready to be launched. SE know this , reviewer know this , players that hate grinding the same mobs for 6 hours know it.

But there's one thing we all have in common , we hope and can't wait for SE to add stuff because even if you dont admit it now , everyone wanna see mroe action , more epic fight , more reasons to play FFXIV other than : alright lets grind dodos.



If that was your opinion of WoW, then I think you are just looking for a different type of game. Seems like you might enjoy console RPG's instead. Check out the new fable, I bet it will be awesome. I understand that would take away the online aspect, but I think you can actually play with other people online now.

There were many people that didn't care for the first 2 weeks to 2 months or 2 years of WoW, depending on how long it took you to get to the end game and lvl cap. A lot of people only enjoyed it for the end game content.

Anyways, FFXI and now XIV IMO are more about one entire experience. They emerge you into the world they created, and you get to do whatever you want. If you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't. Not all games are for everyone. They will add NM's with some pretty cool items I'm sure, but they are most likely only going to spawn every so often, so you won't always be able to choose that. There will also be expansions in the future with tons of cool content. Maybe not for a year though. Just the way things go.

When I hear people complaining about grinding being the only thing to do, it just makes me think that they might as well be doing something else entirely and not playing the game. Because that is what "grinding" is, its just a term that has been used to describe playing a game in a certain fashion. If you don't like grinding (read: playing), then maybe you should take that as a hint.

There are plenty of choices you have just like in life. I like living, so I continue to live. And to continue living I must work and stay healthy, so I do that, even though I may not like working. I want to be in good shape, and I enjoy running, so I run. I don't enjoy cooking, so I tend not to cook. I also like playing XIV, so I play.

To change this to XIV. I like playing, so I continue to play. To continue playing, I have to pay, even though I don't like paying for it. I want to be stronger and be able to kill more challenging things, and I like killing things, so I kill things. I don't really care for crafting, so I tend not to craft often.

If you want to call it grinding, call it grinding, but if you don't like it, then don't do it. If in your eyes there is nothing more to do, then.... maybe you like running or cooking or reading or console gaming.

PS - I was only quoting you about your thoughts of WoW. The rest was just after thoughts about the grinding topic in general. Didn't mean it as an attack on you.
#83 Oct 22 2010 at 10:32 AM Rating: Decent
28 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
KThunderspear wrote:
Edit : WoW community isn't different ? omg... You ask for a freaking dirrection in WoW or a price , all you heard is : LOLLL NOOOB !!! YOUR MOM !!! IM BETTER THAN YOU !!! LOL YOU SUCKKK

At least in FF when i stop and talk to people they are kind and nice , i can't stop and start talking with someone on WoW , theres 1 chance out of 2 hes under 12 years old which isn't great or that guy will insult you freely without any reason.

Dont come and tell me WoW community is just the same , ive played alot of Online game and trust me , WoW got the worst community.


Nope. They're all equal.

Only deluded people and rabid fanboys will believe that all gaming communities aren't cesspools of idiocy. They're all terrible, they're all filled with bigotry, and they're all infested with fanboys. For whatever complaint you can have about one game's community someone else can attest to that in every other MMO. (Hint: just read the forums of every MMO listed on ZAM; seriously read them and put your blinders aside).

Welcome to the internet!

P.S. If I wanted to make as blind statements and foolish claims as you have done, I could simply state you're pre-teen due to the way you type. Funny how blind stupidity is, isn't it?

Ooook someone had a bad day , it's ok go to bed early and it will be better tomorrow.


Edited, Oct 19th 2010 11:22pm by KThunderspear


And that snarky passive aggressive response proves the point of StrijderVechter. You say WoW has a terrible community that will rip you a new one for simply opening your mouth. Well come on a FFXIV or FFXI fan board and say that WoW is a good game and you will we flamed so much cave men would be jealous.

Moreover I agree that everyone is all the same and one of the flaws of the FFXI/FFXIV community is this self righteous, and what I honestly believe to be unfounded, insistance that the community is far better than all the other communities.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2010 12:33pm by Thegorgatron
#84RyushinKasaikotei, Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 11:09 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) OK HONESTLY I DNT KNO ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE BUT I HAVE ONE SIMPLE GOAL THAT KEEPS ME GOING AND THAT IS TO HAVE AN INSANE ADVANTAGE OVER PS3 PLAYERS ( ALTHOUGH I WILL BE GOIN CONSOLE WHEN IT COMES OUT ) I HATED THE FACT THAT XI JP PLAYERS WERE SO FAR AHEAD AT NA PS2 LAUNCH, WELL NOW ITS OUR TURN AND I EXPECTED THE LACK OF CONTENT, CUZ LIKE XI IT WILL BE RELEASED AS TIME PROGRESSES SO I HAVE NO WORRIES I JUS WANT TO BE AT A LVL WHERE I CAN ENJOY THE NEW CONTENT WEN IT IS RELEASED. THAT IS THE DRIVE I THINK WE SHOULD ALL HAVE NO NEED TO RUSH AT ALL I AM A LS LEADER AND SO FAR WE HAVE ABOUT 25 MEMBERS ON THE SARONIA SERVER AND THINGS ARE ALWAYS FUN. EVERYONE SHOULD JUS SIT BAK RELAX AND GRIND, KNOWING UL BE A HIGH LEVEL IN MARCH AND CONTENT IS ON THE WAY SE HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN IN THE PAST CUZZ FF IS SO BEAST SO I HAVE CONFIDENCE :)
#85 Oct 22 2010 at 11:29 AM Rating: Default
*
116 posts
you guys all sound like fanboys. I love the game as much as it can be loved courtesy of its flaws, but dont feed the OP bullshi(T) the game has no dungeons, id be against instances in any other case, real world dungeons are where its at, but these arent dungeons. Random mobs that drop the same junk as their outer (dungeon) counterparts. Same skin, different name, same loot. Add some named mobs that we have to clear to, that require some type of strategy, that offers some risk vs reward.

Id like to tell ya it will be coming, but it wont. The world is laid out before us, either accept it and try to find some enjoyment in grinding until you hit the cap, or wait for cataclysm to come out. At some point u will be at the cap, and hopefully they make good on the promise about putting in leve's that require a full "party" to complete. Do i like locked, triggerable, generic, random nameds? Heck no, but its better than nothing.

I fully understand what you mean about "goal" there isnt a point to anything other than just to do it. Incentives and risk vs reward are missing. Same with the fact they control our leveling rate. It practically 9/10 pays off to use a weaker weapon or atleast a weaker ability and keep a mob alive as long as possible.

Is it right to search for a mob that keeps resetting and healing up in order to get good xp? Any other game and that happened and we would be having a FIT and screaming BUUUUGG! Here its beneficial! ... but we're off topic just a lil.



Edited, Oct 22nd 2010 1:30pm by klepp6761
#86 Oct 22 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
klepp6761 wrote:
I love the game as much as it can be loved courtesy of its flaws, but dont feed the OP bullshi(T) the game has no dungeons, id be against instances in any other case, real world dungeons are where its at, but these arent dungeons.

Maybe you have different idea what a dungeon is. Isn't a dungeon a hole in the ground? Or is dungeon a MMORPG term that differs from normal usage?
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#87 Oct 22 2010 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
71 posts
It is not THE goal that I'm missing, it is all the little goals.
In XI I could look forward to going to a new area where I would never survive at a lower level. In XIV I can pretty much see the entire world at any level. I may die a few times but that's really no big deal in this game.
In XI I could check the auction house and see what my next armor and weapon would be and what levels I would need to be to use them. Sometimes I could buy them ahead of time but I had to wait to be able to equip them. There was always some pleasure to dinging that level and being able to put on my new stuff.
In XI there was excitement just going to the new area for the subjob quest and then getting the items and being able then to have a subjob.
I could go on with this but I'm sure you know what I mean. There was always some short range goal to work toward in XI. I seem to need those little cookies a short distance in the future to be able to enjoy the trip.
____________________________
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut
#88 Oct 22 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
One of the main questions is: "Who did SE design this game for?"

For WoW players (I also played that a loooong time) this game will be too much of
a "grind" with no PvP and less emphasis on how cool your gear is.

For FFXI players, who are used to camping Argus o.O and having bird pt's that last for hours and hours just grinding exp because the party was so much FUN, this will be a lot more enjoyable.

But you, and many others miss the fact, that it was not designed for either, it's for both, and more. Ofc this does resemble FFXI a lot more than it does WoW..but dude...it's FF.
For a FFXI veteran, seeing your first world NM will remind you of the first time you saw and killed Leaping Lizzy, and you will take great pride in the fact that you "grinded" hours of camping to get those **** boots!

IMO FFXI was a game where the journey was faaaaaaar more of an experience than the end, while in WoW, endgame was where the game really peaked.

The thing is, if you don't know FFXI you will miss some stuff in this game..but even us who loved FFXI so much and see a great future for XIV do not say that the game is finished yet...you just have to decide how dedicated you are to seeing it through to the awesomeness it will have.

PS: @ TacoTaru; you cannot check somewhere (like here on ZAM now^^) and see your next armor you want? ofc no AH sucks, but lets not get into that again, however saying that you cannot make grinding towards your next item your goal isn't true. You can be better than all the people r12 wearing r42 items and actually work towards the optimal level...sounds like a goal to me...

Edited, Oct 22nd 2010 1:59pm by Maaletor
____________________________
FFXI: 75 PLD (retired)
WoW: 80 Warrior (retired)
#89 Oct 22 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I agree there needs to be more content in place, even if we would not be high enough rank to utilize it yet. It's kind of odd just levelling udner the assumption that there will be some just-in-time implementation of content to catch us as we arrive.
#90 Oct 22 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
TacoTaru wrote:
It is not THE goal that I'm missing, it is all the little goals.
In XI I could look forward to going to a new area where I would never survive at a lower level. In XIV I can pretty much see the entire world at any level. I may die a few times but that's really no big deal in this game.
In XI I could check the auction house and see what my next armor and weapon would be and what levels I would need to be to use them. Sometimes I could buy them ahead of time but I had to wait to be able to equip them. There was always some pleasure to dinging that level and being able to put on my new stuff.
In XI there was excitement just going to the new area for the subjob quest and then getting the items and being able then to have a subjob.
I could go on with this but I'm sure you know what I mean. There was always some short range goal to work toward in XI. I seem to need those little cookies a short distance in the future to be able to enjoy the trip.


Maybe it's time for you to let go XI and try to adapt XIV as a new game.

I tried to get every teleport nodes on the map, but there're some nodes I just couldn't get to because there're some insane mobs just guarding all the major paths to that nodes. There're also some underground places (if you look at the map, you'll see some yellow arrows with a name above it, such as XXX cave.) Once I walked in one of those places, and there're a lot of mobs in there which I couldn't go any further. So I really don't know how can you see the entire world at any level.

If you like to check what's your next gear or weapon, since we don't have a search function in the market ward yet (but it's coming in nov), you can use Zam's database to look when you're not playing. I like to do that while at work, so I can plan ahead for which gears/weapons/tools I want to make tonight and how I'll make it. So when I log on, I can do that right away.

As for gears that are not your level or favor to your class, we can still equip it (tho I would prefer we have to get to certain level in order to equip that level's gears), since we can't change anything right now. Maybe we can adapt this new idea until they change it. Last night I bought a level 12 blacksmith primary tool, but my blacksmith was still rank 10. When I equipped the tool, I didn't get the full stats from the tool (the tool had +22 craftsmanship, but when I put it on, my craftsmanship was 18 at rank 10), so there I had my goal to try to get it to 12 so I could get full benefit from the tool.

As for other short term goals, I still have many that I'm currently working on, such as reach certain rank so I could make my new crafting gear; then reach certain rank so I could make some weapons and gears for my DoW classes. Also try to do so lvl 20 leves to get some guildmarks to get some new abilities from different guilds.

Again, as I said in my previous posts, if you think the current game is lack of content or lack of the "goals" for you, just stop playing it for a while, wait till more contents and changes are there, then come back again. There's really no reason for you to play a game that you're not enjoying.
#91 Oct 22 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
KThunderspear wrote:
windexy wrote:
The game starts you off right into the story, you should continue it.

The mission NPC is available near the leve counter.


I know that ive made severals characters within every cities to try each of the storylines.

What i'm saying it's other than 1 Story Quest per 10 rank and Leves per 36hours ( And Crafting if you like it ) we have nothing to do. There's no point in forming a 15person party because theres nothing to do... Legion Difficulty is still VERY easy with 10+ members. ( even with 3-4 you can put it on Legion most of the times..)

I'm looking for something more than just grinds... because right now its a basic grind to get levels... 2 of my friends almost stopped playing ( like me ) because we were tired of meeting each other every night and repeat the same old stuff we've been doing for the past 2 weeks.

If we could have some sort of choice in what to do.

Like i said adding dungeons or harder place to explore ( that doesnt include insanely high mobs )would be great because right now you;re rank i.e : 10 well you have to grind your Rank 10 Leves until you get 20... then grind leves 20... and im sure then its lvl 30s and moving on like that till you;re capped.

Im open to any kind of adds so we can have something to do. Right now within 2hours 3 max of the Leves reset im done for 36 hours... then i have to grind which isn't working well.


You gotta understand the game just came out . .. ..
and once the nm's come along with all of us having the same basic gear sets
and builds and not knowing how to beat some of these monsters legion after legion will make the attempt.

SE is sadistic when it comes to NM's I suggest waiting till those get implemented and start pulling your hair out after an 8 hour fight and your legion has all but given up.

I remember when the CoP wyrms came, also the land kings early in implementation they we brutal
and it was a lottery to win or loose.

Beleive me people will hunt those beasts and will line up to do it.

From all the MMO's I've played its SE Notorious Monsters that have always been the most challenging to beat
and take down

does anyone remember the first Dynamis Lord fights and 30+ person wipes
#92 Oct 22 2010 at 1:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
20 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
FFXI never had dungeon bosses either. It just isn't the way SE designs things. There will probably never be that kind of dungeon in FFXIV ... sorry. I was serious about ogres by the way.

Edited, Oct 19th 2010 11:19am by Olorinus


FFXI had one dungeon that housed one ginormous scorpion... (sry, I just had to XD)
#93 Oct 22 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
by your definition even a boss is just another harder marmot to grind.


Mik I have an idea.

Can someone give him a level 75-85 character from xi planted with kirin pop item
and then let the OP pop Kirin?

Because one thing SE does right is bosses and NM's and if I have to wait even a year I am stoked
All this is coming and that content will be worth it
because you will cry for your mom to help you beat it and it won't just be leve related

SE is many things and one of those things is Sadistic when it comes to boss fights and NM's

in 6 months u'll be crying for the harder marmot lol
#94 Oct 22 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
*
197 posts
Right now my goal is not to get discouraged by leveling/SP gain.... or playing FF in general.

- I do 8 battlecraft leves each 36 hours, and I check all the cities. This takes a lot of time spent on travelling. With a copy-paste scenery outside the cities in all 3 starting areas this is "very exciting". I save anima for when my brother logs on so we can jump around the world and fool around doing nothing productive except being silly, or if I die somewhere along way because of a cunningly placed high rank agro mob in a narrow area that didn't show on my screen because of lag.

- I do 8 local leves each 36 hours, and I check all the cities. This can take additional time, if the local leves aren't in the same camp as my battlecraft ones. Sometimes I'll use anima, if have some spare accumulated, or just die, if I'm bound to a certain camp that's far away and then return to it for zero anima (if this is what a lot of people do to then SE really has a weird sense of what's fun).

- I may do some crafting on the side after all of this if I'm hot half asleep by the time I've finished running from place to place or if not tired from crafting while doing local leves.

- I am however always tired for checking Market Wards, doing repairs (which means most of my gear is always yellor/red), and I'm definitelly too tired, and at this point repulsed, by the idea of grinding SP either solo or in group by spamming basic attack.

I don't do all of this in one sitting, of course. It takes me about 24 hours, with brain on auto-pilot, and with taking big breaks to 'relax from playing a game(?)'. The remaining 12 hours I don't want to touch FF.

So, I have what to do in game, I'm just fighting with myself and reassuring myself that it's worth it.

As it is, the game's slow-paced on top of being slow due to lag encountered everywhere. I would love additional content but I'm afraid I wouldn't even have the time to experience it all without sacrificing the little quests (leves) I get to do every 36 hours (and on which apparently I solely rely for leveling). Add a job, 5 days a week out of 7, to that and the picture isn't nice at all.

FFXIV can be played solo, you don't have to rely that much or that often on other people to be able to play or, dare I say, enjoy it, but it's by no means "casual". Unless by casual you mean <very slow progress>. Not so much till rank 10 or 15 in any class but after that.... ;/

I don't remember FFXI fatiguing me this much except while standing idle shouting (Party)(Can I have it?)(Class and level).

All of this coming from someone who grinded his level and literally tons of mats in Lineage 2 and a bulk of other p2p or f2p eastern grindfest-MMOs (along some decent not-so-grindy western ones).
#95 Oct 27 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
Well im happy to see all the replies , half of them were from Fanboys which is good also they gave their point , they love to grind marmot and the other half is people just like me ( no im not a pre-teen like someone said. ) that was hoping for a game with a bit more thing to do.

I know thing will be implented like every fanboy told me , but understand this , we paid the full price for this , not 20$ now and 10$ when NM comes out , 10 more when Dungeons come out , nah we paid 75$ ( Those like me that bought collector ) and we get barely nothing.

I know like everyone this game will be great in a year maybe but for now its not.

I forgot who it was but someone made a very good comment about the situation comparing it to the leveling part in WoW. Hes like 5-6post above me not sure.

Also i completely forgot this thread so that's the reason i didn't reply and i won;t come back i enjoyed the discussion and i hope you guys too ;)

I will give FFXIV more time before i get back to it because right now , i can't just repeat the same stuff every 36hours and see the same camps everyday.

Later and see you in-game maybe in a couple of months when more content will be added :)

EDIT: I see that comment every 2 post i almost forgot " The game just came out " And ? It wont kill SE to add a dungeon or a boss we can focus on early in the game I.E: if you would go see you doctor and he would open you for a headache telling you " Sorry i just got out of the school im not too sure what im doing" You would freak out , ok bad example but im sure you guys will understand what im saying.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 8:37pm by KThunderspear
#96 Oct 27 2010 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
windexy wrote:
Quote:
WoW wasn't good BUT it had everything players needed... World boss , Dungeons , Quests , Crafting , PvP , World PvP , mounts ? Right off the start. Day 1 WoW came out we had all this.


World Boss - you got to fight the WORLD BOSS as a lvl 1 starting character, how'd that go?



World Boss at level 1: Hogger.
____________________________


#97 Oct 27 2010 at 7:44 PM Rating: Default
**
763 posts
Does there have to be a goal? My take on it is.. Get oriented on the stuff they give you now.. and wait to see what SE brings us LATER.

SE screwed up. They pushed the game out the door way too soon, so demanding a point or goal to the game right now is, in my opinion, out of the question.
#98 Oct 27 2010 at 11:32 PM Rating: Excellent
*
106 posts
FFXIV is essentially missing a factor that I will call "Element X". Element X is what keeps a player interested and hooked in an MMORPG. Element X is the reason that in FFXI, you would wait a couple hours just hoping to get a pink tell asking you to party, in which you would then proceed to spend the next few hours killing the same mob over and over and over again and then repeat the process the next day. Element X is the reason that in WoW, you would mindlessly grind through dozens of quests in one area that mostly entail the exact same kill 10 mobs, find 10 logs and then go off into another area and do the same thing until you reach the level cap in which you would then proceed to grind the same raid every week.

There are many reasons why people play MMORPGs and as such, there are a variety of Element Xs. Some people want to kill big bad bosses, some people want to pvp, others just want to stand around and shake their e-peen. However, it seems that FFXIV is missing this element in its entirety. In FFXIV, instead of being given a rainbow in the horizon in which to endlessly chase, we are given a flat field with nothing else in sight.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)