As I see it...
A lack of market centralization combined with an inability to search, leading to the extremely diminished chance of connecting Buyers->Sellers and Sellers->buyers. It's actually frustrating how the current system is harming both the potential BUYER and the SELLER from making economic connections that would benefit both.
The potential BUYER, once s/he has her mind set on buying something has two options,
1. Checking everyones bazaar(Passive)
2. /sh messaging/other advertising asking if anyone has that item for sale (Active)
The potential SELLER, having the item the BUYER is looking for doesn't have much viable option for connection either.
1. toss up a bazaar and hope to god some potential buyer stumbles upon them (Passive)
2. Start intermittently /sh or other form of advertising the item they have for sale (Active)
The system from the setup is unfathomably hard and unneccisarily puts blocks in place to prevent potential Buy/Sell connections from being made.
Why is this a problem?
Because making economic connections is so difficult under this current system, most players will eschew crafting outright, instead chosing to adventure or participate in the game through any other means, and thusly preventing a good FOG(Flow of Goods) into the creation/sustaining of a player driven economy, and, I hate to say it, but in any MMO, For better or worse, the economy is mostly driven by players. Only what we are seeing in FFXIV currently is a game enviroment that chokes any notion of a solid player driven economy from even starting to take shape, let alone sustaining itself.
?What can I do (until SE Fixes it...Hopefully)
Because of the rather unsuitable enviroment for a sustained passive economy, everyone one of us, You, you and yes you. Needs to be as _active_ as possible in the economy.
1. A great player driven website has already sprung up and I advise potential buyers to utilize it, and for potential sellers to constantly be updating their stock, and what they are selling. The site can be found at: http://ffxiv.yg.com/item/ Please note, this site pulls no data from game servers, so it can be innacurate.
2. Buyers, Don't be afraid to ask. see that crafter making a sword you're looking for? Think someone around might have it? Think a crafter in your LS has it? ASK, the worst that can happen is No, and most cases the crafter would be more then happy to make more coin off it and get it out of their inventory instead of having to toss it up on bazaar
3. Sellers, Don't be afraid to advertise (again see the website above), I know I might get shot for essentially suggesting /sh adverts, but until the economy has a centralized and searchable system game-side, this is the only viable option I can see for making economic connections under the current FFXIV enviroment.
Edited, Oct 21st 2010 5:05am by MidouSan