Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Beware: Shard Scam TrickFollow

#1 Oct 24 2010 at 5:18 AM Rating: Good
22 posts
Just ran into a scam on Kashuan.
It was my first attempt to sell anything to another person bazaar,
so I was pretty good candidate for this scam :)

quote from taultunleashed forum:

"I don't see this posted anywhere but I have been doing this since server start and I know it works. I set up a shop over night at like lvl 10 camp putting up to buy 100-200 shards for like 200 gil. People get confused and think its per shard but its for the whole thing and they sell me their entire stack for 200 gil lol. I have like 900 shard of every type the only hard ones to trick is wind shards but I have sold a few. Better use it before people catch on lol."

Anywhoo: be careful. Scammers everywhere! This time the scammer was: Ron Bardia @ Kashuan.
-> Now back to fishing.


____________________________
Linkshell Journal
#2 Oct 24 2010 at 5:55 AM Rating: Default
32 posts
Not a scam. Learn to read.
#3 Oct 24 2010 at 6:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Greatbape wrote:
Not a scam. Learn to read.


Harsh but true. Every bazaar entry is clearly (though perhaps not especially prominently) labeled as to whether the price is "per item" or "per set". Pay attention!
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#4 Oct 24 2010 at 6:06 AM Rating: Good
**
263 posts
Why isn't it a scam? Most scams work on the basis that the mark is an idiot.
Scams still a scam; scammers intention is, obviously, to dupe you of your shards.

#5 Oct 24 2010 at 6:16 AM Rating: Default
32 posts
You can't scam someone when it's "clearly" labeled. If I put an iron acorn in my bazaar for 9 mil gil and you buy it was that a scam? Same rule applies. Anyone who doesn't take the extra nanosecond of brain power to see that 300 is for a stack and not for a single is on their own.
#6 Oct 24 2010 at 6:18 AM Rating: Excellent
*
203 posts
ChrisMattern wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Not a scam. Learn to read.


Harsh but true. Every bazaar entry is clearly (though perhaps not especially prominently) labeled as to whether the price is "per item" or "per set". Pay attention!


Actually no. For items that are "Status: Selling", the column name is "Unit Price" or "Set Price"
But for "Status: Seeking", the column name is "Offering". No indication that it is the offer for the whole set, rather than an offer per item. The closest thing to an indication you get that you're selling the whole stack is that you're never asked to specify how many you want to sell.
#7 Oct 24 2010 at 6:29 AM Rating: Good
A scam is a scam the same way an exploit is an exploit. The people setting up their bazaars and trying to take advantage of the careless observation of others is as bad as those that take advantage of some exploit to gain massive SP due to the careless observation of the development team. Their intentions are selfish and they are not playing the game the way it was intended. I don't think it is fair to pick on the OP for being a victim since the language is not THAT obvious. Thanks for addressing the issue and hopefully more people catch on so that the scammers will have to find some other way to ***** people over.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 8:30am by allskillbill
#8Greatbape, Posted: Oct 24 2010 at 6:39 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You have to be kidding me if that's not clear cut to you. You have to have under a 6th grade reading level to not understand that. Seeking 1000 wind shards. Offering 300 gil. Reads clear to me. IE.. don't buy.
#9demegod, Posted: Oct 24 2010 at 6:55 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) thanks for the great gil earning tip! i will have to try this out right now :D
#10 Oct 24 2010 at 7:01 AM Rating: Excellent
*
203 posts
Greatbape wrote:
Ilmoran wrote:
ChrisMattern wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Not a scam. Learn to read.


Harsh but true. Every bazaar entry is clearly (though perhaps not especially prominently) labeled as to whether the price is "per item" or "per set". Pay attention!


Actually no. For items that are "Status: Selling", the column name is "Unit Price" or "Set Price"
But for "Status: Seeking", the column name is "Offering". No indication that it is the offer for the whole set, rather than an offer per item. The closest thing to an indication you get that you're selling the whole stack is that you're never asked to specify how many you want to sell.



You have to be kidding me if that's not clear cut to you. You have to have under a 6th grade reading level to not understand that. Seeking 1000 wind shards. Offering 300 gil. Reads clear to me. IE.. don't buy.


Good for you for making assumptions that aren't in the language used. Fact is, the person I was replying to stated all bazaar entries are clearly labeled per item or per set, and that's not true.

And there's a difference between something being clear and something making sense. Yes, Seeking 1000 shards offering 300 gil makes sense that it would mean you're paying 300 gil for a set of 1000 shards. It makes just as much sense that you need 1000 shards and you're offering 300 gil for each one. There is no clear distinction between the two interpretations.

What doesn't make sense is that SE gives you an option to sell items individually or as a set, but no option to seek items for an individual price per item, or a price per set.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:10am by Ilmoran
#11Greatbape, Posted: Oct 24 2010 at 7:29 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) No distinction needs to be made. It's common sense. If I have a sign up and it says I'll buy 1000 apples for 30 dollars. What do you assume? Wait.... not assume.. WHAT AM I OFFERING FOR 1000 APPLES? Clear & Cut. The point you are making is the whole reason this is going on. You assume something that's not stated. You assume since 300 is the norm per each that you are selling them at that price per shard.
#12 Oct 24 2010 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I and many others I know have fallen for this. I mean you fall for it once and then get ****** and never fall for it again though.

I have to admit after I fell for it, I turned around and did it out of anger. I got like 600 shards over night for a total of like 400 gil. I felt dirty after though. Many people will fall for it nd not realize because it isn't clearly marked that it's not a per-shard price.

I definitely feel like its taking advantage of a confusing system.
____________________________


#13 Oct 24 2010 at 7:40 AM Rating: Excellent
*
203 posts
Greatbape wrote:

No distinction needs to be made. It's common sense. If I have a sign up and it says I'll buy 1000 apples for 30 dollars. What do you assume? Wait.... not assume.. WHAT AM I OFFERING FOR 1000 APPLES? Clear & Cut. The point you are making is the whole reason this is going on. You assume something that's not stated. You assume since 300 is the norm per each that you are selling them at that price per shard.


Yes, the point I'm making is that the interface is not clear, and that's why this is going on.

The sign doesn't say "I'll buy 1000 apples for 30 dollars".
The sign says:
"Need: 1000 Apples.
Offer: $30".
In that case, you do make the assumption that $30 is the offer for the entire 1000 apples, because nowhere does it explicitly state the offer is for the whole batch.

Now, suppose the sign says:
"Need: 1000 Apples.
Offer: $0.03."
In this case, it makes just as much sense to assume the offer of $0.03 is per apple, when you're not familiar with the system. This is what people are doing. They are preying on people not familiar with the system, hoping they will make the wrong assumption. That's why it's a scam.
#14 Oct 24 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Definitely it's a scam.
I you didn't expect innocent people to fall for it, you wouldn't set up such a bazaar.
#15 Oct 24 2010 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
I don't think whether or not it's a scam is really important here: it's not a bannable offense, since they're using the system in the way it's designed. For all intents and purposes, they're being as truthful about their asking price as is physically possible with the interface. You couldn't ban them any more than you could ban a player for just trying to get a large discount on any item.

It's a nasty thing to do to somebody, but the long and short of the issue is that the interface just needs to be fixed.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#16 Oct 24 2010 at 9:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
Depending on the person and what else they're seeking/selling etc, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. When I first started playing, it wasn't clear to me either. My fiancee had to tell me, "Honey, no one is going to sell you that many shards for so little" and then he pointed it out to me where it indicates that because I *thought* I was seeking them at a per price, not a set. It's a lot more clear when you're selling then when you're trying to buy.

I'm not saying people don't try to scam doing this but I wouldn't assume it's a scam every single time. Some people just haven't realized what they're doing yet.
#17 Oct 24 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Greatbape wrote:
You can't scam someone when it's "clearly" labeled. If I put an iron acorn in my bazaar for 9 mil gil and you buy it was that a scam? Same rule applies. Anyone who doesn't take the extra nanosecond of brain power to see that 300 is for a stack and not for a single is on their own.


Yes, you can. Whether or not something is a scam is a function of intent, not how easy it is to spot and avoid. And I hope it's something GMs take very, very seriously because that sort of thing is just not cool. 999 wind shards on my server right now are worth 300-400k. As a crafter, if I were to realize that someone had duped me out of that many shards I'd be livid. As someone looking at things from a new player perspective, being duped out of shards you could have used to skill a DoH class or sold for a tidy sum would be extremely disappointing.

People who think that kind of ******** is funny or cool need a ban with the severe quickness. We don't need jackasses like that in the game and I hope SE sees it the same way.
#18 Oct 24 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I've heard of people getting suspended/banned for TRADING an insect wing forthe price of an Emperor Hairpin, but never for bazaaring an insect wing for the cost of one.

I'm not saying it's right; it's still a scam, but -technically- this is one of those situations where the buyer is passively tricking the seller, not actively doing it.

Caveat emptor.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong; I would love to see some people get slapped on this; I just don't expect it to happen based on SE's track record with bans. They've punished crafters who lie about their pricing and people who lie about what they're offering, but I haven't heard them banning for passive deception; only active misleads.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 12:55pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#19 Oct 24 2010 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I've heard of people getting suspended/banned for TRADING an insect wing forthe price of an Emperor Hairpin, but never for bazaaring an insect wing for the cost of one.

Lizard Ledelsens were a good one too.
#20 Oct 24 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
59 posts
Actually a real scam would be something like this:

There is a rare item and a cheap and common item with the same icon. Now you claim that you want to sell the rare item but only via direct trading. You put the correct item in your trade box but shortly before the trade is done you exchange it with the cheap one. Voila, you are rich and get hated long time.

Of course that requires the game allowing such manipulation and I am not sure if this is possible at FFXIV, hopefully not. But I saw it or rather read about it at other games like PWI.


Trying to sell items via bazaar or in this case buying them for cheap is not really a scam. It is rather just counting on the carelessness of people. Sadly still too many are like that.
#21 Oct 24 2010 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Greatbape wrote:
Ilmoran wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Ilmoran wrote:
ChrisMattern wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Not a scam. Learn to read.


Harsh but true. Every bazaar entry is clearly (though perhaps not especially prominently) labeled as to whether the price is "per item" or "per set". Pay attention!


Actually no. For items that are "Status: Selling", the column name is "Unit Price" or "Set Price"
But for "Status: Seeking", the column name is "Offering". No indication that it is the offer for the whole set, rather than an offer per item. The closest thing to an indication you get that you're selling the whole stack is that you're never asked to specify how many you want to sell.



You have to be kidding me if that's not clear cut to you. You have to have under a 6th grade reading level to not understand that. Seeking 1000 wind shards. Offering 300 gil. Reads clear to me. IE.. don't buy.


And there's a difference between something being clear and something making sense. Yes, Seeking 1000 shards offering 300 gil makes sense that it would mean you're paying 300 gil for a set of 1000 shards. It makes just as much sense that you need 1000 shards and you're offering 300 gil for each one. There is no clear distinction between the two interpretations.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:10am by Ilmoran



That's all good and fine, but really, the people doing this aren't playing so much on people's failure to read, as much as they're playing on their inexperience with the bazaar system.
No distinction needs to be made. It's common sense. If I have a sign up and it says I'll buy 1000 apples for 30 dollars. What do you assume? Wait.... not assume.. WHAT AM I OFFERING FOR 1000 APPLES? Clear & Cut. The point you are making is the whole reason this is going on. You assume something that's not stated. You assume since 300 is the norm per each that you are selling them at that price per shard.

I understand what your saying, but it's the sellers fault applying a meaning to something that clearly says the exact price. It is wrong, but can't be called a scam.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:34am by Greatbape

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:36am by Greatbape

#22 Oct 24 2010 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Greatbape wrote:
Ilmoran wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Ilmoran wrote:
ChrisMattern wrote:
Greatbape wrote:
Not a scam. Learn to read.


Harsh but true. Every bazaar entry is clearly (though perhaps not especially prominently) labeled as to whether the price is "per item" or "per set". Pay attention!


Actually no. For items that are "Status: Selling", the column name is "Unit Price" or "Set Price"
But for "Status: Seeking", the column name is "Offering". No indication that it is the offer for the whole set, rather than an offer per item. The closest thing to an indication you get that you're selling the whole stack is that you're never asked to specify how many you want to sell.



You have to be kidding me if that's not clear cut to you. You have to have under a 6th grade reading level to not understand that. Seeking 1000 wind shards. Offering 300 gil. Reads clear to me. IE.. don't buy.


And there's a difference between something being clear and something making sense. Yes, Seeking 1000 shards offering 300 gil makes sense that it would mean you're paying 300 gil for a set of 1000 shards. It makes just as much sense that you need 1000 shards and you're offering 300 gil for each one. There is no clear distinction between the two interpretations.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:10am by Ilmoran



No distinction needs to be made. It's common sense. If I have a sign up and it says I'll buy 1000 apples for 30 dollars. What do you assume? Wait.... not assume.. WHAT AM I OFFERING FOR 1000 APPLES? Clear & Cut. The point you are making is the whole reason this is going on. You assume something that's not stated. You assume since 300 is the norm per each that you are selling them at that price per shard.

I understand what your saying, but it's the sellers fault applying a meaning to something that clearly says the exact price. It is wrong, but can't be called a scam.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:34am by Greatbape

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 9:36am by Greatbape




That's all good and fine. But really, the people doing this aren't playing so much on people's failure to read, as much as they're playing on their inexperience with the bazaar system.
#23 Oct 24 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
I almost fell for this last week. Lol
it is indeed a scam people. Just because you wouldn't fall for it doesn't make it any less of a scam.
they prey on unsuspecting players who don't know any better and not familiar to the bazaar system.

Edited, Oct 24th 2010 5:03pm by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#24 Oct 24 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I fell for something like this weeks ago, i put it up to live and learn, 70 fire cystals for a 1000 gil made someone real happy.I keep all my cystals and money in my retainer now so i don't fall for this without thinking about what i'm doing.(fire crystals are through the roof now)

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 3:52am by Warmech
____________________________





#25 Oct 24 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
41 posts
Some people enjoy a small playerbase, so they do **** like this to make new players want to quit. SE needs to make it more clear when you sell thing to players.
#26 Oct 24 2010 at 8:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
148 posts
I got burned by this in the Open Beta...
And I've been in the market wards when other people have gotten burned by this...


Selling Wind Crystals (20) Unit 2000
Seeking Wind Crystals (20) Offering 2000


They are worded almost identical but are COMPLETELY different. I agree that it is a obviously a scam.. Just because some people would never fall for it doesn't make it any less of a scam. It's specifically there to trick people into giving up things for much less than they intended and the "Offering" price point is specifically set to the market value of a single item.

This topic has come up several times in the past and there are several other threads on this of other people who got burned..

What's worse, the pop-up that comes up after clicking on the "Seeking" item is EVEN LESS clear than it in the Bazaar, it makes no reference that you're going to lose X many items and gain a total of X gil.

IMO, it's just another thing that's broken in the interface and needs to be fixed.


Edited, Oct 24th 2010 10:59pm by Sidicas
#27 Oct 24 2010 at 10:23 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
IMHO, I don't think this classifies as a scam. Most people I know in the game laugh this off as a character that tries a little hard to get money for something not worth it. I haven't seen any of my linkshell people or people that I know, get duped into believing this, as we all can see from the onset of the bazaar sale.

I would classify in game scams as something that needs the scammer to be actively involved during the trading/transaction. If he is just afking there, then we players need to execute our due diligence in finding out whether something is worth paying for, or receiving lesser payment for.

Sample between 2 LS friends:

Friend A: ****, you just scammed me!!
Friend B: no I didn't, what did I do?
Friend A: I repaired your Bronze Haubegeon for 1 gil!!!
Friend B: Did I ask you to?
Friend A: But you put it up in your bazaar!!!!
Friend B: Still, I didn't ask you to.
Friend A: :/
Friend B: Why did you not buy my Coerthas Carrot for 99,999,999 gil?
Friend A: because that would be ridiculous!!!!!
Friend B: Exactly. Same thing when u see me offering 1 gil for repair, but you went ahead and did it.....
Friend A: (-.-")

heh. go figure.
#28 Oct 24 2010 at 10:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
696 posts
The world is a cold dark place where people will take advantage of you. Better wise up quick!
#29 Oct 24 2010 at 10:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Trying to sell items via bazaar or in this case buying them for cheap is not really a scam. It is rather just counting on the carelessness of people. Sadly still too many are like that.


Well, counting on the carelessness of inexperienced people to trick them out of their money...
Isn't that pretty much the dictionary definition of "scam"?
#30 Oct 24 2010 at 11:57 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Trying to sell items via bazaar or in this case buying them for cheap is not really a scam. It is rather just counting on the carelessness of people. Sadly still too many are like that.


Well, counting on the carelessness of inexperienced people to trick them out of their money...
Isn't that pretty much the dictionary definition of "scam"?


I think we should all do some research before we go down to buying things from a bazaar. If the above applies, then even a simple price change could be a scam. Eg; Buying a birdsbeak hammer head for 50,000g opposed to nuying it for 3,000g. If a person bought the one at 50k, was he scammed, or did he not do enough research?
#31 Oct 25 2010 at 1:00 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
327 posts
demegod wrote:
thanks for the great gil earning tip! i will have to try this out right now :D



In before ban, Whereas in games like Eve online scamming is openly encouraged by the devs/mods, Squenix has tended too look at scanners as EPIC targets for their banhammers of truth and justice +1
____________________________
FFXI: [Asura] "Midou" (PLD) || FFXIV: [Bodhum] "Midou Lii" (???) || EVEOnline: "Thion Li"


#32 Oct 25 2010 at 3:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*
203 posts
Quelxaan wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Trying to sell items via bazaar or in this case buying them for cheap is not really a scam. It is rather just counting on the carelessness of people. Sadly still too many are like that.


Well, counting on the carelessness of inexperienced people to trick them out of their money...
Isn't that pretty much the dictionary definition of "scam"?


I think we should all do some research before we go down to buying things from a bazaar. If the above applies, then even a simple price change could be a scam. Eg; Buying a birdsbeak hammer head for 50,000g opposed to nuying it for 3,000g. If a person bought the one at 50k, was he scammed, or did he not do enough research?


This isn't about buying things from a bazaar, it's about selling them to someone elses bazaar, where the interface leaves enough room for doubt about the transaction that you may think you're selling 200 shards for 200 gil each (a reasonable price), but really you're selling 200 shards for 200 gil total. No amount of research into the market price of shards is going to help you. Now if you're suggesting they need to research how the bazaar interface works, I'd say the interface needs to be designed not to need research.
#33 Oct 25 2010 at 3:53 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
You know the problem is that "Set price" doesn't make that much sense until you have seen "Unit Price", people who haven't tried to put something their bazaar yet will have a problem with this.

On the other hand, how can SE ban a person to use the system the way is intended, I mean it may be illogical but it's still possible that the highest price I want to offer for a set of 200 shards is 200 gils.

It won't be long before ppl get use to the lingo of the game, meanwhile dishonest persons will try to abuse it.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#34 Oct 25 2010 at 4:04 AM Rating: Good
*
203 posts
kenage wrote:
You know the problem is that "Set price" doesn't make that much sense until you have seen "Unit Price", people who haven't tried to put something their bazaar yet will have a problem with this.

On the other hand, how can SE ban a person to use the system the way is intended, I mean it may be illogical but it's still possible that the highest price I want to offer for a set of 200 shards is 200 gils.

It won't be long before ppl get use to the lingo of the game, meanwhile dishonest persons will try to abuse it.

Ken


"Set Price" is still more clear than "Offer", which is all the system displays when you are selling something to someone else's bazaar.

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 6:04am by Ilmoran
#35 Oct 25 2010 at 5:32 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
Before you do the final trade it tells you what your getting and how much gil it will cost. Its not that hard to figure out, It tells you. My suggestion is that you read it instead of button smashing. All those people that got so called scamed well you deserve it. I almost fell for this trick and before i went through with the trade i decided that selling 100 shards for 100 gil was not a good trade. It was that easy not to get fooled. Good day
____________________________
BANNED

#36 Oct 25 2010 at 7:15 AM Rating: Default
**
589 posts
Sorry but buyer be ware. If someone has 75,000 gil for 500 wind shards would you accept? I sure would NOT. I would consider that a scam but I also would not make the trade. I repeat! buyer be ware and pull up your calculater if you cant see why I would pass up on this. I think this is ½ as bad as putting up 300 for 250 shards.
#37 Oct 25 2010 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
As a general rule, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#38 Oct 25 2010 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
703 posts
I will admit to being a victim of this at one time. It was during beta that it happened, but I wised up real quick AFTER I saw what happened. The visual is not clear cut... You go through the menu system, expecting to see a unit menu and sell X amount of crystals that you set. I did not know that the bazaar system only sought in sets and not units.

The menu system is redundant and, at times, can be confusing, especially to the uninitiated. Not everyone realizes that they're about to release their 200 earth crystals for exactly 150 gil. Then again, I also think it reasonable to assume that because the selling system offers both "set" and "unit" prices that the seeking system would do the same.
#39 Oct 25 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
As a general rule, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

True but it often isn't too good to be true. When I've come across these it was usually something along the lines of someone offering to buy like 100 wind shards for 300 gil. The price is around 250-280 gil per so the poor soul may think they are going to make a little bit of profit and help a crafter. They don't properly process the fact that it's 300 gil for all 100. The ones I saw wouldn't set off any red flags to make you question it. I almost sold to one once but I wasn't sure what it said so I didn't. Later I came across one that wanted more crystals than I had so it wouldn't even let me so I knew then what they were doing.
#40 Oct 25 2010 at 10:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,742 posts
The UI is a mess. It took me a good while to figure out Unit Price and Stack Price. I can see people falling for it.

It is like those people selling XBox 360 BOXES on Ebay. Even thought it is clearly labeled (though way way down in the description of the item, e.g. the Wall of Text) it is still playing off people's preconceptions that no one is going to sell a box for 300, too much in a rush to read, etc.

It would still fall under scamming. No idea why you guys would think it doesn't. Playing off the stupidity of others and working off their assumptions is what scamming means.
____________________________
FFXIV: Karamethien Seraphus (Blog)

FFXI: Karamethien
Still a Seraph Samurai Wanna Be
Fishing AF - Complete, SAM AF - Complete, RNG Af - Complete, RDM AF - 1/6
#41 Oct 25 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
As a general rule, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.


That's why I don't go to IHOP. All you can eat pancakes? Psh...yeah right.
#42 Oct 25 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
The UI is the one thing that makes this trade bad.There isn't the usual final click letting you know what's being traded like a final(YES).That's why this scam only hurts new people and won't go away.I still spot this trick in some bazaars everyday my heart sink a little but it's hard to blame people for AFK robbery.
____________________________





#43 Oct 25 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Warmech wrote:
The UI is the one thing that makes this trade bad.There isn't the usual final click letting you know what's being traded like a final(YES).That's why this scam only hurts new people and won't go away.I still spot this trick in some bazaars everyday my heart sink a little but it's hard to blame people for AFK robbery.
To tell you the truth if I needed to deal with one more window when I buy or sell something from somelelse's bazaar I probably stop using the retailer system.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#44 Oct 25 2010 at 8:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
148 posts
Quelxaan wrote:

I would classify in game scams as something that needs the scammer to be actively involved during the trading/transaction.

Your definition of scam is wrong.. You can be guilty of a scam by proxy.. For example, if I wrote a virus that steals keys out of games and then posts them on the Internet.. Or if I wrote a virus that hacks into every bank and then puts the money Bill Gate's bank account. By your definition, I'm not doing it, my virus is doing it so it's the victim's fault for opening the virus.

The court systems upholds being guilty of a scam by proxy and generally leans to favor victims and NOT the other way around.. You don't blame victims for being tricked, it's just ridiculous.

If you're trying to trick somebody into giving away items at much lower prices than they intended because the GUI to the game is garbage, it's still a scam.


#45 Oct 25 2010 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
148 posts
Warmech wrote:
but it's hard to blame people for AFK robbery.

I don't see why not.. If I make a car where the gas pedal can get stuck to the floor and people end up getting killed over it.. Can you still say, it's hard to blame me because I wasn't at the scene of the crime? Sorry your gas pedal stuck to the floor but you can't blame me because I wasn't there.. Man, I just put that gas pedal in the car for decoration, it's your own darn fault for using it! haha!

C'mon.. Most scams work while the scammer is not an active participant, especially on the Internet where it's so easy to write a virus or create a duplicate of a legit website and harvest username/passwords.

Edited, Oct 25th 2010 10:19pm by Sidicas
#46 Oct 25 2010 at 9:43 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
I blacklist everyone that is trying to scam. I hope it catches on. Good luck down the road.
#47 Oct 26 2010 at 5:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
148 posts
Parsalyn wrote:
I blacklist everyone that is trying to scam. I hope it catches on. Good luck down the road.

That's a good idea, I'm going to start doing that as well.. Can't believe I didn't think of that :D
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)