Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Ask The Devs (10.25)Follow

#52 Oct 26 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
All this outrage and no one has noticed they (not so clearly) marked this post as for beginners by including the "My First Q&A" on the graphic... ?


Edited, Oct 26th 2010 8:05pm by windexy
#53 Oct 26 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Bad analogy inc:

You don't want to hear the mechanic explain how to rotate your tires or change your oil when you know your engine is in danger of breaking down.


Yes but when you bought your first or second car did you study how to repair the engine or how to change the oil? Bad analogy in response to a bad analogy but I hope you see my point. I think SE got lucky with FFXI, and now is trying to do FFXIV the "right" way which is very new to them as developers. These "Ask the dev" articles are like buying the correct motor oil. A step in the right direction.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 8:01pm by Hydragyrum



Fair enough, i won't use an analogy:

They have bigger things to address than items that should have been addressed in the manual.

Like i said in my previous post, i don't know which is the sader situation.
____________________________


#54 Oct 26 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Fair enough, i won't use an analogy:

They have bigger things to address than items that should have been addressed in the manual.

Like i said in my previous post, i don't know which is the sader situation.



Oh I agree that there are faults with this game. But the "Ask the Devs" is not where those faults are going to be addressed, nor should they be. These articles are aimed at the entire playerbase. These are not aimed to appease the hardcore MMO players. These are meant to be some fun side entertainment for people who only get 5-8 hours per week of playtime. Also, do you honestly think articles upon articles from SE outlining the problems of this game would draw in MORE customers? Don't forget SE is only in this for profits. A company wearing their faults on their sleve doesn't earn profit.

And who reads a manual. Those were what I read in the car ride home from Best Buy when my mom had to drive me to the store. I haven't read a game manual since I turned 16. :)

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 8:17pm by Hydragyrum
#55 Oct 26 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Fair enough, i won't use an analogy:

They have bigger things to address than items that should have been addressed in the manual.

Like i said in my previous post, i don't know which is the sader situation.



Oh I agree that there are faults with this game. But the "Ask the Devs" is not where those faults are going to be addressed, nor should they be. These articles are aimed at the entire playerbase. These are not aimed to appease the hardcore MMO players. These are meant to be some fun side entertainment for people who only get 5-8 hours per week of playtime. Also, do you honestly think articles upon articles from SE outlining the problems of this game would draw in MORE customers? Don't forget SE is only in this for profits. A company wearing their faults on their sleve doesn't earn profit.

And who reads a manual. Those were what I read in the car ride home from Best Buy when my mom had to drive me to the store. I haven't read a game manual since I turned 16. :)

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 8:17pm by Hydragyrum



Personally, i see the content they put out in pervious weeks (previews of changes to mechanics for example) to be a perfect example of a "baby step" in communication. I say baby step because while it is very nice of them to do, it is still a one sided communication.

This weeks however, was not "ask the devs" content. That is literally instruction manual level information, best added into the "basic controls" or "getting started" section of the lodestone. Ideally, it would be in the manual... but i guess you were right about SE being in it for the profits only seeing as how the manual is mostly how to setup your SE account and pay for the game rather than how to play the game.

Regarding reading the manual:

I tend to agree, but with games with non-intuative mechanics and systems, it is needed. Sure, most people will jump in and play right when they get the game, but having something to reference as you learn the game is invaluable.
____________________________


#56 Oct 26 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
29 posts
windexy wrote:
All this outrage and no one has noticed they (not so clearly) marked this post as for beginners by including the "My First Q&A" on the graphic... ?


Edited, Oct 26th 2010 8:05pm by windexy


Exactly! Thanks for having a bit of sense in your head windexy!

The rest of you guys are foaming at the mouth because this Beginners Q&A didn't answer the hundred intermediate level questions you had?!

You guys need to get it through your head, SE doesn't owe you anything. Not in the slightest. Quit acting like spoiled children and grow up a bit. If you don't like the product for any reason then please put it down and go find another.

It works I promise you and lord knows those of us who like it, tolerate it or are patiently waiting for it to get better will greatly appreciate your absence.
#57 Oct 26 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
14 posts
I would agree that they don't owe us anything if we didn't pay money to buy the game. But since we're all paying customers, we deserve answers. And paying as in buying the initial game.

Say what you will about WoW but Blizzard's customer service is top notch. It's a BIG reason why WoW is #1.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:07pm by AtriusAran
#58XaviehrGrey, Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 9:17 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Yes, you spent money on an MMO from a company that had a notoriously bad PC launch of their previous MMO and is known for being completely silent about changes and improvements and having horrible customer service. Just because the game is made in a later year with better technology doesn't mean the company is going to change it's ways. It's really self centered for people to think they DESERVE better from a company with this kind of track record.
#59 Oct 26 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
XaviehrGrey wrote:
AtriusAran wrote:
I would agree that they don't owe us anything if we didn't pay money to buy the game. But since we're all paying customers, we deserve answers. And paying as in buying the initial game.

Say what you will about WoW but Blizzard's customer service is top notch. It's a BIG reason why WoW is #1.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:07pm by AtriusAran


Yes, you spent money on an MMO from a company that had a notoriously bad PC launch of their previous MMO and is known for being completely silent about changes and improvements and having horrible customer service. Just because the game is made in a later year with better technology doesn't mean the company is going to change it's ways. It's really self centered for people to think they DESERVE better from a company with this kind of track record.

The launch = not that great. We can all agree with that, but why is everyone so damned surprised and outraged about it? Why do they continuously lurk and troll and QQ in the forums about it. If you are mad about the content at launch then you made an illogical and poorly thought out purchasing decision for yourself and should've waited at least the amount of time on average it took for FFXI to be playable after it's launch.

I mean these Ragers refuse to even be happy with the fact that SE DID change their ways a little. Guess what? We are getting updates! We are getting information from SE and they have let us know that they are listening to the constructive feedback they have received. People should be happy about this as it shows a positive trend for a notoriously negative (albeit brilliant) company. What do we get instead?
RAGE RAGE RAGE THE QUESTIONS THEY ANSWERED WEREN'T THE EXACT ONES I WANTED RIGHT NOW SO THIS GAME BLOWS RAGE RAGE RAGE

As I said before, get over yourselves or move along.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:21pm by XaviehrGrey


I think your opinion is in the minority here, maybe you should take your own advice and "move along" instead of typing things that will clearly inflame the forums worse.
____________________________

#60 Oct 26 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
XaviehrGrey wrote:
AtriusAran wrote:
I would agree that they don't owe us anything if we didn't pay money to buy the game. But since we're all paying customers, we deserve answers. And paying as in buying the initial game.

Say what you will about WoW but Blizzard's customer service is top notch. It's a BIG reason why WoW is #1.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:07pm by AtriusAran


Yes, you spent money on an MMO from a company that had a notoriously bad PC launch of their previous MMO and is known for being completely silent about changes and improvements and having horrible customer service. Just because the game is made in a later year with better technology doesn't mean the company is going to change it's ways. It's really self centered for people to think they DESERVE better from a company with this kind of track record.

The launch = not that great. We can all agree with that, but why is everyone so damned surprised and outraged about it? Why do they continuously lurk and troll and QQ in the forums about it. If you are mad about the content at launch then you made an illogical and poorly thought out purchasing decision for yourself and should've waited at least the amount of time on average it took for FFXI to be playable after it's launch.





It's like a bad relationship. We fought and screamed and yelled and bickered and screwed each others brains out until we just couldn't take it anymore and broke up. Couple years pass and we find them on our doorstep, looking hotter then ever and pleading that they've "changed", they are a new person that understands what they lost. They promise to treat us right this time and because we are blinded by nostalgia for the good times we had in the past we forgive them and let them back inside. Only to wake up the next morning and realize we've been anally violated and left naked in a back ally of New Jersey while they are half way to Mexico with our life savings.

Sure, we may be a tad bit bitter.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:29pm by mistrik
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#61 Oct 26 2010 at 10:31 PM Rating: Good
14 posts
XaviehrGrey wrote:
AtriusAran wrote:
I would agree that they don't owe us anything if we didn't pay money to buy the game. But since we're all paying customers, we deserve answers. And paying as in buying the initial game.

Say what you will about WoW but Blizzard's customer service is top notch. It's a BIG reason why WoW is #1.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:07pm by AtriusAran


Yes, you spent money on an MMO from a company that had a notoriously bad PC launch of their previous MMO and is known for being completely silent about changes and improvements and having horrible customer service. Just because the game is made in a later year with better technology doesn't mean the company is going to change it's ways. It's really self centered for people to think they DESERVE better from a company with this kind of track record.

The launch = not that great. We can all agree with that, but why is everyone so damned surprised and outraged about it? Why do they continuously lurk and troll and QQ in the forums about it. If you are mad about the content at launch then you made an illogical and poorly thought out purchasing decision for yourself and should've waited at least the amount of time on average it took for FFXI to be playable after it's launch.

I mean these Ragers refuse to even be happy with the fact that SE DID change their ways a little. Guess what? We are getting updates! We are getting information from SE and they have let us know that they are listening to the constructive feedback they have received. People should be happy about this as it shows a positive trend for a notoriously negative (albeit brilliant) company. What do we get instead?
RAGE RAGE RAGE THE QUESTIONS THEY ANSWERED WEREN'T THE EXACT ONES I WANTED RIGHT NOW SO THIS GAME BLOWS RAGE RAGE RAGE

As I said before, get over yourselves or move along.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:21pm by XaviehrGrey



Really? So FF11 launched very poorly in an era where there was little competition and it was launched in Japan. The NA release awhile later was pretty **** smooth. I didn't even know that FF11's launch was a fiasco in Japan. Flash forward to 2010 and you have a pond full of MMOs. There are certain STANDARDS that are expected now of a big budget AAA game that could have been glossed over back in the days of FF11.

Saying that they've had a poor track record in the past doesn't make it "ok" to continue.

I can list examples and use analogies like cars, tvs, phones, etc etc but I'll spare you since I'm just QQ'ing and should be content with mediocrity from an international entertainment company.

#62 Oct 26 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
mistrik wrote:
XaviehrGrey wrote:
AtriusAran wrote:
I would agree that they don't owe us anything if we didn't pay money to buy the game. But since we're all paying customers, we deserve answers. And paying as in buying the initial game.

Say what you will about WoW but Blizzard's customer service is top notch. It's a BIG reason why WoW is #1.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:07pm by AtriusAran


Yes, you spent money on an MMO from a company that had a notoriously bad PC launch of their previous MMO and is known for being completely silent about changes and improvements and having horrible customer service. Just because the game is made in a later year with better technology doesn't mean the company is going to change it's ways. It's really self centered for people to think they DESERVE better from a company with this kind of track record.

The launch = not that great. We can all agree with that, but why is everyone so damned surprised and outraged about it? Why do they continuously lurk and troll and QQ in the forums about it. If you are mad about the content at launch then you made an illogical and poorly thought out purchasing decision for yourself and should've waited at least the amount of time on average it took for FFXI to be playable after it's launch.





It's like a bad relationship. We fought and screamed and yelled and bickered and screwed each others brains out until we just couldn't take it anymore and broke up. Couple years pass and we find them on our doorstep, looking hotter then ever and pleading that they've "changed", they are a new person that understands what they lost. They promise to treat us right this time and because we are blinded by nostalgia for the good times we had in the past we forgive them and let them back inside. Only to wake up the next morning and realize we've been anally violated and left naked in a back ally of New Jersey while they are half way to Mexico with our life savings.

Sure, we may be a tad bit bitter.

Edited, Oct 26th 2010 11:29pm by mistrik



This analogy is a win.
#63 Oct 26 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
ok, I happened to read someone who replied to one of my posts with the "why the rush to level" argument, which is IMO the dumbest argument anyone can make regarding MMOs so hopefully I can blast this one out of the water now, or at least get someone smarter than me giving some backup as to why this is the absolute last argument anyone should make regarding dissatisfaction regarding mmos.


MMOs are designed so that as players play more, they progress. you spend time, level up, do harder content, and repeat until you level up. if there was a game that let you play, and not get exp, you'd sit at level 1 playing the same content for weeks.. this is argument 1 and its fairly obvious.


Secondly, what journey should I be enjoying? grinding level 15 mobs is about as interesting as grinding level 14 mobs.

the game itself is the point? I dont even understand what that means. please tell me how this game is more the point than any other. this statement literally makes no sense.

"The only reason the steep leveling curve could possibly be a concern to people is if they just want to get leveling over and done with." you're delusional.. i'd want to progress faster because I'd love to see the time between my main story quests be less than a week. If I'd known that this game would be level to 15 easily, then grind 5 levels in week of play before seeing the next tidbit of content, I'd have stayed the **** away. Unfortunately the publisher told me this would not be the case. I feel lied to and ****** off.

Leveling is awesome... spending 3 hours grinding and not even leveling is bull during the teen levels.

the poster I'm replying to, i do admire your positive attitude, which is why I didn't name you in my post. I am not trying to flame you personally. You just happened to use a ridiculous argument I've seen one too many times and am now trying to quash because seriously, it makes zero sense. people play these games to progress. when they arent doing that asking them "why aren't you enjoying the journey" makes about as much sense as why dont you show up to work for no pay, or why don't you help strangers pack their house and move. Why not rake you neighbors lawn. why not drive 2 states away and spend the afternoon picking up garbage..



Edited, Oct 27th 2010 1:26am by KujaKoF
____________________________


#64 Oct 27 2010 at 1:07 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,153 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
My comment about not enjoying the game was intended more to prevent the haters from complaining when I said that I was enjoying the journey - not to say that it is OK if you are not having fun.

Having grinded all the way from 1 to 75 in FFXI, I quite enjoy party camp grinding and am enjoying it just as much in FFXIV as I did in FFXI. Therefore, I enjoy the journey here. It takes me back to the early days in FFXI where no-one knew what to do but we were all having fun finding out.

As for other comments about content - it has a lot more content than the original FFXI and plenty for some of us to enjoy. Of course, the fact that I enjoy the game has been an ongoing reason to be karma bombed from a whole bunch of people who hate it and find it necessary to post on these boards.


I don't take issue with people who like the game, I simply wish to understand why. Personally for me, I found the small things about FFXI to be the most enjoyable. Stuff like the advanced job quests or the one-shot stuff you'd get to help out people around your city to raise fame. Quests like this added flavor to the game and I simply don't find it in FFXIV. Stuff that was meant for lower level players that took you somewhere you might not have explored otherwise. It may seem like small stuff, and it is, but it really immersed you in the game and gave you a sense that you were involved in the story somehow. I don't see any of that in FFXIV and it really isn't something you toss in after people have leveled past a point where it's still relevant.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#65 Oct 27 2010 at 3:53 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
ok, I happened to read someone who replied to one of my posts with the "why the rush to level" argument, which is IMO the dumbest argument anyone can make regarding MMOs so hopefully I can blast this one out of the water now, or at least get someone smarter than me giving some backup as to why this is the absolute last argument anyone should make regarding dissatisfaction regarding mmos.


MMOs are designed so that as players play more, they progress. you spend time, level up, do harder content, and repeat until you level up. if there was a game that let you play, and not get exp, you'd sit at level 1 playing the same content for weeks.. this is argument 1 and its fairly obvious.


Secondly, what journey should I be enjoying? grinding level 15 mobs is about as interesting as grinding level 14 mobs.

the game itself is the point? I dont even understand what that means. please tell me how this game is more the point than any other. this statement literally makes no sense.

"The only reason the steep leveling curve could possibly be a concern to people is if they just want to get leveling over and done with." you're delusional.. i'd want to progress faster because I'd love to see the time between my main story quests be less than a week. If I'd known that this game would be level to 15 easily, then grind 5 levels in week of play before seeing the next tidbit of content, I'd have stayed the **** away. Unfortunately the publisher told me this would not be the case. I feel lied to and ****** off.

Leveling is awesome... spending 3 hours grinding and not even leveling is bull during the teen levels.

the poster I'm replying to, i do admire your positive attitude, which is why I didn't name you in my post. I am not trying to flame you personally. You just happened to use a ridiculous argument I've seen one too many times and am now trying to quash because seriously, it makes zero sense. people play these games to progress. when they arent doing that asking them "why aren't you enjoying the journey" makes about as much sense as why dont you show up to work for no pay, or why don't you help strangers pack their house and move. Why not rake you neighbors lawn. why not drive 2 states away and spend the afternoon picking up garbage..



Edited, Oct 27th 2010 1:26am by KujaKoF



I think I know what he means by the journey there. In FF11 before the xp buffs and, leveling and grinding meant you sat in a party for 2+ hours killing the same mobs over and over at a camp. Each mob required teamwork since you would fight ITs. I had the most fun in FF11 during these party sessions. So the journey up to 75 was enjoyable.
#66 Oct 27 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Default
*
178 posts
The new map info is a godsend for my gf who has an IQ of a chimp when it comes to reading maps and finding her way around (both in game and IRL). And frankly I was getting annoyed and frustrated trying to tell her to pay attention to the map more rather than just autolock on me all the time. Now after she read the map update she actually uses the map once in a while, cuz she now understands what the "random icons in town mean". For all the haters out there that are raging cuz this seems like a "useless" update, consider the fact that some new players find these tibits of info on lodestone helpful (which i assume is the reason it was created in the first place). You are not the only ppl playing this game and certainly not everyone is a hardcore or experienced gamer. I for one am glad for the map info and I know for sure that other ppl besides my gf have benefitted from it.

#67 Oct 27 2010 at 10:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
247 posts
So...Your girlfriend is dumb. Is she at least hot? Hot dumb girl who plays video games - I could dig that. Ugly dumb girl who plays video games - just hang out with a dude. Moving forward.

The "Ask the Devs" was lackluster but not useless. It doesn't mean much to most people on the boards here. Why? Because we come here for intermediate/advanced gameplay discussions. We don't come here to find out, "What does this symbol on the map mean?" To us this is common knowledge and trivial. To others (hot/ugly and dumb girlfriends for example) this is useful information that will help make their experience better.

Our satisfaction will come in the form of updates to the game. I personally don't care for explanations on how to get around ******** designed mechanics - I want them fixed. I'm not really sure that many of the "Ask the Devs" sessions are really going to impress most here.

-Kash
____________________________
I "BAM!" therefor I AM!
#68 Oct 27 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
*
178 posts
Kashius wrote:
So...Your girlfriend is dumb. Is she at least hot? Hot dumb girl who plays video games - I could dig that. Ugly dumb girl who plays video games - just hang out with a dude. Moving forward.

The "Ask the Devs" was lackluster but not useless. It doesn't mean much to most people on the boards here. Why? Because we come here for intermediate/advanced gameplay discussions. We don't come here to find out, "What does this symbol on the map mean?" To us this is common knowledge and trivial. To others (hot/ugly and dumb girlfriends for example) this is useful information that will help make their experience better.

Our satisfaction will come in the form of updates to the game. I personally don't care for explanations on how to get around sh*ttily designed mechanics - I want them fixed. I'm not really sure that many of the "Ask the Devs" sessions are really going to impress most here.

-Kash


Aside from your idiotic remarks (i'm the only one allowed to call my gf dumb), your point is what i was trying to make. People who have never played a MMO in their life before appreciate what SE is putting out on their lodestone(in before "ZOMG GTFO its 2010..everyone breathing and their moms have played a MMO before!"). SE is trying to appeal to both old and new player bases and people on these forums seem to think that only their personal agenda is important. Even if the majority of players are veterans people need to stop being such god **** narcissists.
#69 Oct 27 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Aside from your idiotic remarks (i'm the only one allowed to call my gf dumb), your point is what i was trying to make. People who have never played a MMO in their life before appreciate what SE is putting out on their lodestone(in before "ZOMG GTFO its 2010..everyone breathing and their moms have played a MMO before!"). SE is trying to appeal to both old and new player bases and people on these forums seem to think that only their personal agenda is important. Even if the majority of players are veterans people need to stop being such god **** narcissists.


I agree he could have left his personal opinion of female gamers out of the post, but the point is that while how to read the map is useful information - it's just not in the right place. It belongs in the instruction manual, and in the Getting Started section of the website. Maybe it even belongs in a tutorial in the game itself *gasp*.

Ask the Developers isn't the place for mundane and trivial information - we expect that it's going to have facts about the game mechanics or actual Q&A content that the players ask or even just some blog musings of what they are thinking about adding to the game. I get that there are new people playing and they might need this information and I also get that not everyone is an MMO vet - but that doesn't mean that SE should just get a free pass to publish the game manual instead of things that the playerbase is actually asking.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 3:43pm by Torrence
#70 Oct 27 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Why the rush? Why do you want to level up so fast?

If you are not having fun, thats fine. But if you are - enjoy the journey, why does it matter how long it takes to level up.

It is a recent trend in MMO's that actually playing the game is a terrible distraction from the real purpose which is endgame. SE have made a game where the game itself is the point, not necessarily endgame.

The only reason the steep levelling curve could possibly be a concern to people is if they just want to get levelling over and done with. If this is the case, perhaps SE MMO's are really not the games for you. In both FFXI and FFXIV, getting to the cap is a real achievement in itself requiring time, effort and dedication. There are plenty of MMO's on the market today that will suit the person who wants to cap in a week. In fact, given that 3/4 of the world's population plays one of them I would have thought there is plenty out there for taht sort of gamer.

I enjoy levelling, dont care about endgame, like stat based games, and enjoy crafting so I'm pretty happy.


Why do I want to level up so fast? Very simple, and it has nothing to do with rushing to the endgame. Right now, combat is boring. The faster you level, the more abilities you have to play with, and the less time you spend fighting the same monsters over and over in the same boring battles.

So your conclusions are pretty far off. It has nothing to do with endgame. It has to do with access to content. Abilities and monsters are content, although not especially fantastic content, and there is no reason for access to this content to be so constrained. Even the most fundamental content of using abilities to kill monsters comes at a snail's pace.


As for the remarks about this being a tutorial set of questions, that's a fair speculation, but I absolutely do not trust SE to do better in the future. If these questions are so basic because they're for beginners, I'd put better money on them stopping completely after they run out of beginner information to share. I would like to give SE the benefit of the doubt, but having done so a thousand times before has not proved fruitful.


Ultimately a video game is a leisure activity that should be fun. For some people, somehow FFXIV accomplishes that for them... maybe they've never played another MMO so it's all new to them, or maybe they really just don't have anything better to do... I really can't imagine it myself. I think most people are playing the game now in hopes that it BECOMES fun after SE fixes it, and I fear those people are in for a major disappointment. Even if SE is being more proactive this time around, the game is so far off from where it needs to be that I'll bet it's still going to take years to address the backlog of complaints (at least in SE time).



Edited, Oct 27th 2010 2:48pm by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#71 Oct 27 2010 at 4:45 PM Rating: Good
*
100 posts
Quote:
People who have never played a MMO in their life before appreciate what SE is putting out on their lodestone(in before "ZOMG GTFO its 2010..everyone breathing and their moms have played a MMO before!"). SE is trying to appeal to both old and new player bases and people on these forums seem to think that only their personal agenda is important. Even if the majority of players are veterans people need to stop being such god **** narcissists.


The problem with putting this rudimentary information online is that many new MMO players won't be surfing the web for information about their game. When I bought my first MMO I couldn't be troubled with logging off and surfing the internet. I was fumbling blindly through Vana and relying on people I met to teach me stuff about the game. I didn't even realize there was such a wealth of knowledge online.

Hardcore MMO fans are the ones who are going to be most interested in topics like "Ask the Devs".
____________________________
Homer no function beer well without.
#72 Oct 27 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Kachi wrote:
As for the remarks about this being a tutorial set of questions, that's a fair speculation, but I absolutely do not trust SE to do better in the future. If these questions are so basic because they're for beginners, I'd put better money on them stopping completely after they run out of beginner information to share. I would like to give SE the benefit of the doubt, but having done so a thousand times before has not proved fruitful.


SE has specifically stated on the front page that today's QA is for beginners:

Quote:
Today's Q&A serves to shed some light onto several issues that newcomers to FINAL FANTASY XIV may face when stepping into the realm of Eorzea for the first time.


These are the same questions my brother was just asking me over the phone "what's that dot on the map?", and yes they should be in the manual section and yes it shouldn't have been called Ask The Devs, but instead Tutorial of the Day or some such. But SE was explicit about the target audience.
____________________________

#73 Oct 27 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
NayliaMR wrote:
SE has specifically stated on the front page that today's QA is for beginners:

Quote:
Today's Q&A serves to shed some light onto several issues that newcomers to FINAL FANTASY XIV may face when stepping into the realm of Eorzea for the first time.


These are the same questions my brother was just asking me over the phone "what's that dot on the map?", and yes they should be in the manual section and yes it shouldn't have been called Ask The Devs, but instead Tutorial of the Day or some such. But SE was explicit about the target audience.
They could expand on this Q&A content and centralize it on the Lodestone in its own section, call it a "manual" or something.

Then, use the now free Q&A section to actually talk and respond to the player base, rather than inventing their own questions to answer for themselves.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#74 Oct 27 2010 at 11:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
These are the same questions my brother was just asking me over the phone "what's that dot on the map?", and yes they should be in the manual section and yes it shouldn't have been called Ask The Devs, but instead Tutorial of the Day or some such. But SE was explicit about the target audience.


I acknowledge that you're right about that, but my point is that people who view these "Ask the Devs" articles as a sign that SE is going to do a better job of communicating with the playerbase may be in for a rather large disappointment. They may do a better job of communicating with newbies, but the people who are making that argument are familiar enough with SE's track record that they can't really be considered newbies.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#75 Oct 29 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
247 posts
lightacadi wrote:
Kashius wrote:
So...Your girlfriend is dumb. Is she at least hot? Hot dumb girl who plays video games - I could dig that. Ugly dumb girl who plays video games - just hang out with a dude. Moving forward.

The "Ask the Devs" was lackluster but not useless. It doesn't mean much to most people on the boards here. Why? Because we come here for intermediate/advanced gameplay discussions. We don't come here to find out, "What does this symbol on the map mean?" To us this is common knowledge and trivial. To others (hot/ugly and dumb girlfriends for example) this is useful information that will help make their experience better.

Our satisfaction will come in the form of updates to the game. I personally don't care for explanations on how to get around sh*ttily designed mechanics - I want them fixed. I'm not really sure that many of the "Ask the Devs" sessions are really going to impress most here.

-Kash


Aside from your idiotic remarks (i'm the only one allowed to call my gf dumb), your point is what i was trying to make. People who have never played a MMO in their life before appreciate what SE is putting out on their lodestone(in before "ZOMG GTFO its 2010..everyone breathing and their moms have played a MMO before!"). SE is trying to appeal to both old and new player bases and people on these forums seem to think that only their personal agenda is important. Even if the majority of players are veterans people need to stop being such god **** narcissists.


Yea, I was in a ******** mood that day...Not so much today.

It looks as though I stand corrected though - The latest Ask the Devs was actually quite nice. It talks about some things that the crafting population is interested in. And it isn't completely entry level information, either. I think this Dev team is doing a much better job thus far at communicating with the players compared to FFXI's team.

I still want fixes to the game; that doesn't change. At least it appears now that SE will be fielding questions that both newbies and FF-Online vets will appreciate. So for those mechanics in game that aren't broken and just...complex - I'm hoping some more information is coming down the pipeline.

-Kash
____________________________
I "BAM!" therefor I AM!
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)