Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Sweet....Follow

#1 Oct 27 2010 at 8:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
24 posts
Ok well seems to be that the guy who sold me my comp had no idea what he was talking about if the research i have done is correct....he said this would run ff np lol, it seems i have an intel hd graphics card and from all i have read wont be able to play the game with this....is this true? thanks again guys
#2 Oct 27 2010 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
24 posts
Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)




Report Date: 10/28/2010
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 10:35:16
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2202
Operating System: Windows 7 (6.1.7600)
Default Language: English (United States)
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 3767 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 1755 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 27 MB
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Speed: 3058 MHz
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 0042
Device Revision: 12




* Accelerator Information *


Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Video BIOS: 1931.0
Current Graphics Mode: 1440 by 900

is this a piece of ****? lol
#3 Oct 27 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
*
228 posts
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi01.html


Should let you know if you can play it or not.
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#4 Oct 27 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts

You need to go back to the store and tell the manager, only him don't talk to anyone else. Tell him the story, you asked a salesman to sell you a computer for a specific purpose. And he didn't. He is the one at fault, sales people are supposed to know their product. Hopefully you can get your money back. Or credit towards a computer that you need.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 10:43pm by KristoFurwalken
#5 Oct 27 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Good
Party Pooper
*****
12,232 posts
Idk much but that sounds like a integrated card? I don't think that will. As I said though Im no authority on it.

Why didn't you do research before you bought it?
____________________________
[sm]FFXI: Flix 75THF/RNG/NIN/WAR/MNK/DRK/SAM/DRG/BLM Retired: Sept 2009.
SW:TOR Maim (Assassin) Sai'kou (Sniper) GM: Ultimatum. Retired: When 1.2 failed miserably.
FFXIV: Flix Skyfall (Behemoth) 50BRD: River of Blood for dayzzzzzz


#6 Oct 27 2010 at 8:44 PM Rating: Default
Party Pooper
*****
12,232 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:

You need to go back to the store and tell the manager, only him don't talk to anyone else. Tell him the story, you asked a salesman to sell you a computer for a specific purpose. And he didn't. He is the one at fault, sales people are supposed to know their product. Hopefully you can get your money back. Or credit towards a computer that you need.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 10:43pm by KristoFurwalken



It sounds like a criagslisty sale to me.
____________________________
[sm]FFXI: Flix 75THF/RNG/NIN/WAR/MNK/DRK/SAM/DRG/BLM Retired: Sept 2009.
SW:TOR Maim (Assassin) Sai'kou (Sniper) GM: Ultimatum. Retired: When 1.2 failed miserably.
FFXIV: Flix Skyfall (Behemoth) 50BRD: River of Blood for dayzzzzzz


#7 Oct 27 2010 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
24 posts
no i bought it from the store and even went to the website to see min specs and 2 salespeople said it would run the game fine
#8 Oct 27 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
Vlox07 wrote:
no i bought it from the store and even went to the website to see min specs and 2 salespeople said it would run the game fine



Nine times out of Ten a sales person won't really have a clue as to what they are talking about. There's rarely any actual knowledge requirement for them to be placed in the PC sales department, I've gone to bestbuy and had kids trying to sell me a pc they clearly knew nothing about. Really your best bet is to go online and try and build your own pc, with a little research (or help from a computer savy friend) you can often get a far better product at a better price this way.

I would do as the person above suggested though and speak with a manager, depending on where you bought it from you can likely get your money back or exchange it.

____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#9 Oct 27 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:

You need to go back to the store and tell the manager, only him don't talk to anyone else. Tell him the story, you asked a salesman to sell you a computer for a specific purpose. And he didn't. He is the one at fault, sales people are supposed to know their product. Hopefully you can get your money back. Or credit towards a computer that you need.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 10:43pm by KristoFurwalken


Man, that was a helpful, and thoughtful post. Is someone using your account? :P
____________________________

#10 Oct 27 2010 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Unless those sales people were deeply involved with FFXIV they were lying through their teeth. Even then, no respectable FFXIV fan would recommend an integrated graphics card, so they were pretty much guaranteed to be lying.

I have no idea if you'll have any luck with a return, but I'm certain those salespeople were just trying to get a sale to boost their commission and didn't know a thing about FFXIV.
#11 Oct 27 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*
137 posts
i can't say you got ripped of until you tell us hw much you paid. As for running this game, I wouldn't have high hopes, maybe on the lowest settings.
#12 Oct 27 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
mistrik wrote:
Vlox07 wrote:
no i bought it from the store and even went to the website to see min specs and 2 salespeople said it would run the game fine



Nine times out of Ten a sales person won't really have a clue as to what they are talking about. There's rarely any actual knowledge requirement for them to be placed in the PC sales department, I've gone to bestbuy and had kids trying to sell me a pc they clearly knew nothing about. Really your best bet is to go online and try and build your own pc, with a little research (or help from a computer savy friend) you can often get a far better product at a better price this way.

I would do as the person above suggested though and speak with a manager, depending on where you bought it from you can likely get your money back or exchange it.



The thing is, I am assuming that he is just an "average Jo casual gamer type" that SE was trying to draw in. And not to sound condescending but alot of folks in that demographic aren't into building PC's or this GPU vs that GPU, so it's up to a salesman to know his job and give this type of customer the proper product.

No doubt the average salesman at Best Buy or w/e is a complete noob, but you can't fault a guy for assuming a salesman should know about the product they sell.


Edited, Oct 27th 2010 11:03pm by KristoFurwalken
#13 Oct 27 2010 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
mistrik wrote:
Vlox07 wrote:
no i bought it from the store and even went to the website to see min specs and 2 salespeople said it would run the game fine



Nine times out of Ten a sales person won't really have a clue as to what they are talking about. There's rarely any actual knowledge requirement for them to be placed in the PC sales department, I've gone to bestbuy and had kids trying to sell me a pc they clearly knew nothing about. Really your best bet is to go online and try and build your own pc, with a little research (or help from a computer savy friend) you can often get a far better product at a better price this way.

I would do as the person above suggested though and speak with a manager, depending on where you bought it from you can likely get your money back or exchange it.



The thing is, I am assuming that he is just an "average Jo casual gamer type" that SE was trying to draw in. And not to sound condescending but alot of folks in that demographic aren't into building PC's or this GPU vs that GPU, so it's up to a salesman to know his job and give this type of customer the proper product.

No doubt the average salesman at Best Buy or w/e is a complete noob, but you can't fault a guy for assuming a salesman should know about the product they sell.


Edited, Oct 27th 2010 11:03pm by KristoFurwalken


Yeah it's just a good rule of thumb when you go looking to make any big purchase, I always assume that the guy I'm talking to is speaking out his *** until I'm proved wrong. The series of tubes known as the interwebs has a lot of good information that can help you become more informed about what your going to be buying, even a little is better then nothing.

As it is, I would take the OP's situation as kind of learning this the hard way. Half the world is comprised brainless idiots and the other half will lie out their *** to make a quick buck off you, your best defense is knowledge.
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#14 Oct 27 2010 at 9:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
It's really important, that you actually do some research before buying a new PC. I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but you should never trust a salesman. I'm sure there are plenty of them that know what is what, but they are TRYING to sell you something.
____________________________

#15 Oct 27 2010 at 9:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
24 posts
yep was all me on this one....sweet that i have gone and changed stuff on the comp thinking i would have it for a bit...
now with what i have can i put another graphics card in or no? there is a slot there....i dunno lol my bad i guess like the one guy said i assumed guy knew what he was talking about lol, and when he asked another guy and he said yep will run better then what you have i was like cool ill take it
#16 Oct 27 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
Quote:
yep was all me on this one....sweet that i have gone and changed stuff on the comp thinking i would have it for a bit...
now with what i have can i put another graphics card in or no? there is a slot there....i dunno lol my bad i guess like the one guy said i assumed guy knew what he was talking about lol, and when he asked another guy and he said yep will run better then what you have i was like cool ill take it


In most cases store bought PC's have a bare bones basic powersupply, usually just enough to squeeze you buy. To run ffxiv you're gonna need something that requires a bit of power and the usual 300Watt powersupply isn't going to cut it. Replacing both of them will void your warranty.


Edited, Oct 27th 2010 10:31pm by Telaki
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#17 Oct 27 2010 at 9:33 PM Rating: Good
**
650 posts
If you can return it or exchange it, then do that first. If you can't you will have to buy a new card and probably a power supply that can support the gfx card. If the PC you bought is a branded PC, make sure to check if there are available slots and room to put the graphix card too, the card I bought (gtx 460) almost touched one of my hard drives...didn't realize that these formerly high end cards are monstrous...
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#18 Oct 27 2010 at 9:35 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
MikaelCS wrote:
If you can return it or exchange it, then do that first. If you can't you will have to buy a new card and probably a power supply that can support the gfx card. If the PC you bought is a branded PC, make sure to check if there are available slots and room to put the graphix card too, the card I bought (gtx 460) almost touched one of my hard drives...didn't realize that these formerly high end cards are monstrous...



Arn't they? I remember upgrading my desk top to a Gtx 260 and the thing was as long as my fore arm.. >.>
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#19 Oct 27 2010 at 9:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
24 posts
well im gonna try to return tomorrow hopefully they understand....and i forgot to mention it is one of the smaller towers which sucks....was gonna try to put card from old comp in but it wouldnt even come close to fitting so didnt bother....oh well i guess i learned my lesson today
#20 Oct 27 2010 at 9:37 PM Rating: Default
*
69 posts
www.alienware.com

Chat with the sales reps, they are nice, friendly and can give you some info. If you are buying a gaming PC, focus on companies that produce gaming PCs.

Unless of course you know what your doing then piece it together yourself.
#21 Oct 27 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
Teneleven wrote:
It's really important, that you actually do some research before buying a new PC. I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but you should never trust a salesman. I'm sure there are plenty of them that know what is what, but they are TRYING to sell you something.


I completely agree that its important to do research on any big purchase, weather its a PC , or a car, or a new lawnmower.

But generally salesmen try to sell you something thats way more than you need, not less. Unless the store wanted him to push these laptops to clear inventory or w/e. But thats besides the point. I still think he can go back and talk to the manager and work something out.

Store managers hate giving refunds. He will probably feed you a line of BS about being illegal to give a refund on the product due to some copyright law on the software installed or some other kind of lie. But they usually cave, especially if you are in any way an imtimidating guy.

And ya it is a learning expirence. So from now on you know sales people at most electronic stores are dummies. Also do research before buying a computer.
#22 Oct 27 2010 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
39 posts
Completely off topic, well actually it's on the side topic, but all items purchased from a store are given an implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. The UCC guarantees that warranty. Pretty much means if you ask for something for a specific purpose, and the vendor says it will work, and it doesn't, you can get your money back. If you talk to someone high enough at the store, and point out the UCC implied warranty, good chance they'll give you your money back.

But sometimes no one has heard of it but there legal department (Warranty and UCC Warranty are a major topic in Contract Law at Law School and covered on the Bar Exam), so you have to take the store to small claims court. Pretty easy and cheap to file in small claims, and you're guaranteed in this case to get your money back and court fees as long as you can provide the information about what you asked it to be used for. Judge is pretty much guaranteed to side with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_warranty is accurate, if bare bones on the topic.

Good Luck though :-D most major businesses will avoid litigation though, as they have better things to do with their time, so when the legal department hears about it, you get your money back.
#23 Oct 27 2010 at 9:43 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
Vlox07 wrote:
well im gonna try to return tomorrow hopefully they understand....and i forgot to mention it is one of the smaller towers which sucks....was gonna try to put card from old comp in but it wouldnt even come close to fitting so didnt bother....oh well i guess i learned my lesson today



Word of advice, try and get yourself a full tower. Small towers (especially pre-made bargain PC's) tend to have significant heat problems if there is any beef at all behind their GPU.
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#24 Oct 27 2010 at 9:47 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
Ok well I was under the impression this was a laptop, I read "integrated chip" and assumed laptop. My lack of reading comprehension showing up there.

But anyhow, they might just be able to do upgrades to it there, and if you raise enough **** free of charge. Considering you told a salesman what you needed, he essentially gave you a quote on that and sold you the wrong item.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 11:50pm by KristoFurwalken
#25 Oct 27 2010 at 9:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
The problem with alienware is your paying for the brand name. Its like paying $300 for a pair of blue jeans.

@mistrik I've got a GTX260 and the ******* is huge.
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#26 Oct 27 2010 at 9:49 PM Rating: Default
*
69 posts
Telaki wrote:
The problem with alienware is your paying for the brand name. Its like paying $300 for a pair of blue jeans.

@mistrik I've got a GTX260 and the ******* is huge.


You pay for what you get. Craftmanship isnt cheap.
#27 Oct 27 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
Quote:
You pay for what you get. Craftmanship isnt cheap.


Except with alienware you pay 2x for the same stuff you can buy off newegg. The only thing alienware brand anymore is the case. If you want to drop 2-3 grand on a PC thats your choice. But if you're gonna spend that much build it yourself. If you can put lego's together you can build a PC.

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 11:03pm by Telaki
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#28 Oct 27 2010 at 10:03 PM Rating: Good
For anyone else who doesn't know if their hardware's up to par, here's the tool I used: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

This is what it looks like:

Screenshot

EDIT: For the record, I only upgraded the graphics card (to a Radeon HD 5750 made by XPS) and the game runs fine without turning any settings down from the default when the game is installed. It seems that the bar was set really high on the benchmark test, and as long as it doesn't look like the following picture, and you are getting sound, you'll probably be alright.

Screenshot

Edited, Oct 27th 2010 10:08pm by LadyOfHolyDarkness
#29 Oct 27 2010 at 10:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
295 posts
I'm sorry, but saying to get a $3000 alienware pc when you can easily build one for $500 that will run FFXIV is not nice.

There is also very little to do with craftsman ship when it comes to computers. the things that do require a little more know how, are not worth the time and effort if all you are doing is playing xiv.

OP:

Go to the store, get your money back. Return the PC, take out any upgrades you might have done with the RAM or what not.

Make sure to put the old ram back in too :P

Bring a friend that knows PC's with you. If you don't know anyone, wtf, you are on a game forum...
:P

Anyhow, there is a thread in here somewhere with a ton of "How to build a PC to play XIV" stuff in it. Even links to places on line to buy the items, and details on exactly why the item should work for you.
#30 Oct 27 2010 at 10:26 PM Rating: Good
****
4,144 posts
MetalSmith wrote:
I'm sorry, but saying to get a $3000 alienware pc when you can easily build one for $500 that will run FFXIV is not nice.


Depends on your definition of 'run FFXIV'. If you are ok with putting around town on low settings straining to pull down more than 15 FPS then $500 should set you up nicely. I wouldn't suggest spending $3000 on a PC to run this game, but I would advise you against spending $500 just as strongly. Wait until March and spend $300 for a PS3. You get a new(fairly) console, blu-ray player if you didn't already have one and you save yourself the money and the headache.


Edited, Oct 28th 2010 12:27am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#31 Oct 27 2010 at 11:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
I don't know about you, but I can build a PC that runs XIV at medium to high settings for 5-600$ tho I personally would probably look to spending about 7-800 to give me a bit more breathing room with available options.

Waiting until March for the PS3 release is a rather fine suggestion tho.
You get a more polished game experience (hopefully) and you spend less money all while getting a nice console gaming system and bluray player.

Edited, Oct 28th 2010 1:11am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#32 Oct 28 2010 at 12:26 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,144 posts
Faaeng wrote:
I don't know about you, but I can build a PC that runs XIV at medium to high settings for 5-600$ tho I personally would probably look to spending about 7-800 to give me a bit more breathing room with available options.

This is totally an option if you are Frugal McDougall and find a sale on everything. That isn't really the issue. The question is, why would you spend twice the money for the same performance you could get out of a console that doubles as a blu-ray? If you don't already own a computer that is upgradable to high settings for @ or under $300 it just makes more sense to wait it out.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#33 Oct 28 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Default
**
608 posts
Quote:
The question is, why would you spend twice the money for the same performance you could get out of a console that doubles as a blu-ray?


sorry but you cant get the same performance out of a console vs pc. watch ffxiv constantly load out data like oblivion when its released for ps3. games on console have stripped down api's and most games theses day are ported to pc reason it seems that way.

Edited, Oct 28th 2010 2:43am by mitmystria
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)