Ok let me preface this by telling you about me, what I like, and my mmorpg experience.
What I like and why I've loved almost all of the Final Fantasy games:
I love adventure. I love when in a game I can do a lot more than going out and killing things.
[I have not played FF11 btw]
I love little side quests and learning about a game's lore and mini-games and all that good stuff.
I love games that I can get lost in an feel like I've actually accomplished something.
My MMORPG Experience:
I started playing Lord Of The Rings Online a week ago. [lol I know, I know, don't laugh too hard]
I like it a lot so far. I love the feeling of community that comes from joining kinships and fellowships and all that good stuff.
So the ultimate question, would a person like me like this game? [and yes I have read about all the flaws and such and I'm hoping by the time I actually do get it. A lot will have been fixed.]
-Sigh- I will start this off with the fact that I am a FF Fanboy. I love anything FF and I want it to succeed in everyway.
Now, almost everyone , excluding the mentally insane , utter hardcore fanboys, and folks who just like pain, and the general consensus is this game is ' almost' good. It is so close it is frustrating. I can be bundled up in that group. I played ff14 for yeeeaaarrrsss until i met the woman that is now my wife( started playing wow becuase she liked it and we could do stuff together).
- the armoury system is super cool, awesomely flexible, It is above and beyond the best thing this game curently has to offer, and to me , one of the worst.
- It is a beautiful game,almost Zen like in its apperance, does not have any distracting or cluttering spell animations and doesn't need it, just looks great I can not think of a game out at the moment that even comes close to comparing to the graphics.
- the world is large and expansive, even though sometimes empty, but they are supposed to be adding more monsters on the map in the November or december patch, i forget which.
- You can wear any armor or item, at a severe price if your wearing the wrong thing or to high a level( stat cuts and the item gets damaged faster, also reduced accuracy with weapons), but to me it is still a good thing , you can't put a price on looking cool.
- The storyline is awesome the characters in it are cool and likable and as the storyline progresses it kinda hints at where the first expansion is going ( or even the end of this game idk if anyone has reached end game content yet, if there is any)
- Leves are a boon and a bane, much like the armoury system.
- Casual? to an extent, if you dont have much playtime you wont get alot done but then again when all you have to do most of the time is run around the map playing wack a mole this is not always a bad thing.
- Durability, you will almost spend more time repairing or lvling your crafting to repair your weapons than you will actually lvling your combat class( or classes). People will argue this point but i dont lvl crafting so I have nothing good to say about it and I really can not give a fair review on it.
- The world is huge, and expansive, and beautiful, and empty.
- UI sucks, but that horse has been beaten to death
- Combat is meh, If you start as a Pugilist(western version of a Monk) and you put down your cestus and pick up an axe then you feel like " oh look I am a pugilist with an axe" there are different abilities and slightly different focuses but all the disciples of war feel about the same.
- classes are generic,SE completely left out the archetype of classes it has built its' franchise on through its history, I think the only reason the classes have names is becuase its hard to type a weird symbol.
= Anima is awesome, for about a week then it is hardly there.
- the only part of the game i got ' lost' in was the market wards, NO ah and no plans for one anytime in the near future, per SE
- Lack of a Community outside of a Linkshell( guild) id a big thing that made me log out only after a few hours.
In summary I know i missed a few points on the good and the bad list. Yes I also know i sound a bit harsh, but honestly i wanted this game to be successful, but it is not, not in its current form. It will take SE a few months of patches to fix it for me , or at least make it playable enough to make me want to stay in the game. The last few weeks I have had to seriously talk myself into logging in an enjoying it.
The most frustrating thing is the fact that this game is soooo close to being awesome, if se would have just pushed the release date back 6 months I am pretty sure this game would have been totally worth buying, but they didn't and I am sad I built a new pc and bought the game, at least for now