During the beta and the first five weeks of live play, I’ve seen many people asking about stats and how they should balance them in order to achieve the maximum balance between accuracy and damage.
Over the last few days I documented 1200 attacks and their consequences in order to help us find a starting point on how these stats directly affect us. The goal is to minimize the guesswork going on, and spread the knowledge of what each stat is doing for you on a detailed level.
This post is still a work in progress, and hopefully over the course of the next several years, I will have the opportunity to document several thousand more actions to grow our understanding of the game mechanics. I welcome any suggestions for new theories to test, new mechanics to investigate, and I especially welcome any help in gathering this information.
Now for information from DEX test number two!
The controls/stats and variables:
For this second test on DEX, I am using the Gladiator class instead of the Archer class and examining what the effects of Dexterity are on accuracy, as well as critical hit percentage and Skill Points gained instances per action. For this test, I am using a Physical level 26, Rank 14 Gladiator. I have no active traits. My stats are as follows:
STR :40________________ Fire : 16
VIT :40 ________________ Water : 16
DEX :20* ______________ Lightning : 15
INT :16 ________________ Wind : 99
MND :20 _______________ Earth : 15
PIE :16 ________________ Ice : 13
*In part 2, 3, and 4 of test two, the dexterity is increased to 40, 60 and then 80 to test the effects on accuracy, critical hit percentage, and Skill Points gained instances per action. No other stats are changed. Each time dexterity is increased all gear is repaired to 75% at NPC repair vendor, which is where it began the testing. All other variables remain the same as original tests.
My gear is as follows:
Bronze Dagger (NO SHIELD)
Hempen Work Gloves +1
The test mobs were the Thistletail Marmot in the North Forest outside of Gridania, specifically the ones located in the large open space near the Coerthas zone. For control purposes, I only used Light Slash ability once engaged.
* 20 DEX gave a result of 84 misses and 216 hits, for an accuracy of 72%
* 40 DEX gave a result of 92 misses and 208 hits, for an accuracy of 69.33%
* 60 DEX gave a result of 75 misses and 225 hits, for an accuracy of 75%
* 80 DEX gave a result of 49 misses and 251 hits, for an accuracy of 83.66%
Up until I got to the 80 DEX test, the results were very similar to what I received on Archer. I'm now considering the possibility that the increases to accuracy from DEX might be tiered, not linear. It doesn't explain the horrible 80 DEX tests on Archer, so I'll be doing more testing to sort this all out in the near future.
Critical Hit Rate –
* At 20 DEX, 10.19% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 40 DEX, 10.58% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 60 DEX, 12% of successful attacks were critical hits.
* At 80 DEX, 9.56% of successful attacks were critical hits.
It does not appear dexterity has any effect on the critical rate on Gladiator class either.
Skill Points Gained per Attack –
* At 20 DEX, 25% of successful attacks resulted in SP gain.
* At 40 DEX, 24.04% of successful attacks resulted in SP gain.
* At 60 DEX, 25.78% of successful attack resulted in SP gain.
* At 80 DEX, 29.48% of successful attacks resulted in SP gain.
It does not appear that DEX affected SP gain in any way.
Critical Damage Increase –
* At 20 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 118.09 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 135.41 damage per hit, which is a 14.67% increase in damage on critical hits.
* At 40 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 114.24 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 135.23 damage per hit, which is a 18.37% increase in damage on critical hits.
* At 60 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 115.66 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 136.85 damage per hit, which is a 18.32% increase in damage on critical hits.
* At 80 DEX, non-critical attacks hit for 113.81 damage per hit and critical attacks hit for 133.79 damage per hit, which is a 17.56% increase in damage on critical hits.
It does not appear that DEX affected the critical hit damage bonus, which seems to be fixed at about 15%. If it does have an effect, it is minimal at best.
Perhaps in my first DEX test, I was a bit hasty in determining that DEX was useless. It is possible that DEX does have an effect on accuracy when used in higher quantities. It also seems that instead of 70% accuracy being the accuracy cap, 70% may be the base accuracy on mobs that are same lvl or slightly lower lvl than the player character. I will add more to this post later tonight, but for now I have to go to work.
As mentioned before, any constructive criticism is appreciated.
Edited, Oct 30th 2010 8:17pm by Yabusame