Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

So how long until....?Follow

#1 Oct 29 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
492 posts
Been going over and over this in my head since the beta, SE described the class system as a wonderful system where you can choose what you want to be, apart certain class only abilities, by the time we're all high level will there be that Cookie cutter class that outweighs the others, grasping elements from other classes to make it the One class to be?

So to me we're all riding the wind unwilling playing the game as everyone else just at different paces leveling different jobs but unknowingly reaching the point where we are all the same?

in ffxi you could change class in your mog house, and different classes had different pro's and cons, so leveling numerous jobs would be a great benefit, all had traits and abilities that set it aside from another job, you bonded with the jobs you played,

in this your picking and pinching abilities from other jobs, but you wield a different weapon, so i could be an archer, and basically i can switch to a maurderer or a pugalist and still maintain my abilities and traits as with my archer, with a minor difference with a few class only abilities i.e speedsurge if i was a lancer.

I understand SE has limited us with skillpoints, so we cant over equip abilities but as we level we can equip more, so at some point, i'm guessing this is gonna be maxed, and "the JOBS" to level for abilities are gonna become the jobs everyone levels. for example at the min, in order to make a PLD as in ffxi you'd level a few jobs for their abilities, thm, con, mrd, etc to get a basic style pld from gla,

mages at the min have 2 options either a thm or a con, so you either a blm or a whm, but you'd level both for the abilities each job has then decide weather your a nuker or a healer, but both jobs have a share in abilities, and i bet most mages you come across all have stoneskin cure protect shell and shock spikes equiped, making them all the same job just different people playing it.

So in time i'm guessing all DoW jobs will come to the same point, where we're all a cookie cutter job just with a different weapon maybe 1 or 2 special features, to define us from another job.

Sorta makes me sad, at least in ffxi you worked towards job only stuff, to really make your Char and job the best, in this everyone can dress the same and use a majority of the same moves, we're all clones of each other, its like SE implored the equal opertunities act in the job market

____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#2 Oct 29 2010 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
This is my main issue too, i wish there were more class restricted skills. Granted i love being so versatile atm, but come endgame everyone will be identical.
#3 Oct 29 2010 at 9:40 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
RyderDecree wrote:
Been going over and over this in my head since the beta, SE described the class system as a wonderful system where you can choose what you want to be, apart certain class only abilities, by the time we're all high level will there be that Cookie cutter class that outweighs the others, grasping elements from other classes to make it the One class to be?

So to me we're all riding the wind unwilling playing the game as everyone else just at different paces leveling different jobs but unknowingly reaching the point where we are all the same?

in ffxi you could change class in your mog house, and different classes had different pro's and cons, so leveling numerous jobs would be a great benefit, all had traits and abilities that set it aside from another job, you bonded with the jobs you played,

in this your picking and pinching abilities from other jobs, but you wield a different weapon, so i could be an archer, and basically i can switch to a maurderer or a pugalist and still maintain my abilities and traits as with my archer, with a minor difference with a few class only abilities i.e speedsurge if i was a lancer.

I understand SE has limited us with skillpoints, so we cant over equip abilities but as we level we can equip more, so at some point, i'm guessing this is gonna be maxed, and "the JOBS" to level for abilities are gonna become the jobs everyone levels. for example at the min, in order to make a PLD as in ffxi you'd level a few jobs for their abilities, thm, con, mrd, etc to get a basic style pld from gla,

mages at the min have 2 options either a thm or a con, so you either a blm or a whm, but you'd level both for the abilities each job has then decide weather your a nuker or a healer, but both jobs have a share in abilities, and i bet most mages you come across all have stoneskin cure protect shell and shock spikes equiped, making them all the same job just different people playing it.

So in time i'm guessing all DoW jobs will come to the same point, where we're all a cookie cutter job just with a different weapon maybe 1 or 2 special features, to define us from another job.

Sorta makes me sad, at least in ffxi you worked towards job only stuff, to really make your Char and job the best, in this everyone can dress the same and use a majority of the same moves, we're all clones of each other, its like SE implored the equal opertunities act in the job market




I doubt there will be "One" ultimate cookie cutter class. But I don't have any doubt that in the final estimate there will only be a handful of accepted builds. There will *always* be min/maxers, and this system screams with potential for it IMO. While people can play anyway they want, I suspect the accepted builds for each role will be just as limited if not more so then with XI's class system.

Sadly in the short term this also means that class identification is almost non-existant. I saw a post on the PUG forum advocating a solo build that used more DoM spells then my THM actualy uses when leveling main. At the moment the only thing unique about your class is the graphic (weapon) you're holding. =/

Edited, Oct 29th 2010 11:43pm by mistrik
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#4 Oct 29 2010 at 9:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
492 posts
lol you see my point then, like you said there will probbably be about 3-4 different variations, a tank a DD a support role and a healer type.

on the plus side make getting a party easy if you can actually make a party
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#5 Oct 29 2010 at 10:57 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
People will play the class and build that appeals to them until they get tired of being smacked around by e-peen and then they'll conform or find a group of people that will let them play the way they want to play. There's a middle ground between buttersheep and cookie cutter that most players would do well to strive for. A game properly tuned around casual play isn't going to have so much content that refusing to min-max will exclude you from everything, but your Taunt spamming conjurer tank in hempen work clothes isn't likely to find a warm reception in many groups beyond a certain point.

There will always be a segment of players that will demand cookie-cutter min-max builds because when you're bad and don't want to admit it, the next best thing is to hide behind theorycraft and brow beat everyone else into carrying you.
#6 Oct 29 2010 at 10:59 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
There are certain skills that it is always going to be better to have on the main class rather than the sub class.
I can see certain builds emerging as paramount, but the lack of that at the beginning is part of the reason I am choosing to play at release despite the difficulties. I like finding my own space and rhythm without the need to justify my builds.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#7 Oct 29 2010 at 11:01 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Your Taunt spamming conjurer tank in hempen work clothes isn't likely to find a warm reception in many groups beyond a certain point.


Quote of the day.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#8 Oct 29 2010 at 11:35 PM Rating: Default
*
156 posts
RyderDecree wrote:
by the time we're all high level will there be that Cookie cutter class that outweighs the others, grasping elements from other classes to make it the One class to be?


- NO cause all the classes will be exactly the same, just different ability names


RyderDecree wrote:
So to me we're all riding the wind unwilling playing the game as everyone else just at different paces leveling different jobs but unknowingly reaching the point where we are all the same?


- yes ... lvl 1 - 50





[/quote]


Edited, Oct 30th 2010 1:36am by BriktheImmortal
____________________________
KitsurubamiSouzahara wrote:
This is all just a fanboy civil war. Some are hurt that SE gave them such a crap game, the others are hurt that anyone would call it crap.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)