Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Farewell ZAMFollow

#1 Oct 30 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
I am trying to enjoy playing FFXIV, a game that I enjoy.

Logging into ZAM is like stepping into a battlefield. Saying something positive about the game is a good way to get blasted.

You want a reasonable discussion? You first have to scan through a minefield of negativity.

So FFXIV isn't what you wanted. Tough cookies.

I care about your complaints as much as you care that I'm leaving.
#2 Oct 30 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
I care about your complaints as much as you care that I'm leaving.
You care so little about negativity towards the game that you're going to leave the boards entirely over it?

Cool story, bro.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#3 Oct 30 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Stay well clear of the internet and other people, they may have something negative to say! Go! run quick now, run to the hills!
____________________________
BANNED
#4 Oct 30 2010 at 11:34 AM Rating: Default
preludes wrote:
Stay well clear of the internet and other people, they may have something negative to say! Go! run quick now, run to the hills!


~Run to the hills, run for your lives!~

Edited, Oct 30th 2010 1:34pm by StateAlchemist2
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#5 Oct 30 2010 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
It isn't unreasonable to expect a fan site to cater to fans ... that said there isn't much to be done about negative trolls. They just are.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#6 Oct 30 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
260 posts
StateAlchemist2 wrote:
preludes wrote:
Stay well clear of the internet and other people, they may have something negative to say! Go! run quick now, run to the hills!


~Run to the hills, run for your lives!~



Lol, I heard that song too when I read the run to hills post :D

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#7 Oct 30 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
Go to ffxivcore.com. They gave me a permanent IP ban because I was critical of the open beta. Presumably it still only caters to the most dedicated fans.
____________________________


#8 Oct 30 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Alla has been the site of choice for me as far as posting goes, and I don't post that much considering I've been here since early 2004.
I guess you can call me a negative troll then, because even tho I waited years for 'Rapture', got into the tail end of the alpha, spent a lot to upgrade my pc and pre-ordered the CE, I am so disappointed in FFXIV that my posts are less than...glowing.

Since Alla is an Official SE forum, we've been told that SE reps do read these forums. How the **** else can we get our displeasure across to SE, aside from just canceling our subs? We ALL wanted to play this game! No one is being forced to read the negative posts, you can control your clicking on titles like "Is the game really that bad" or "The soulless game" to name just a few. If you just take a look at the thread list first page, most are about game mechanics.

Good luck finding a totally positive forum for the game. I think they're few & far between tho.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#9 Oct 30 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I, for one, am sorry to see you go. I hope you'll come back after the mid-November patch.
#10 Oct 30 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:

Since Alla is an Official SE forum, we've been told that SE reps do read these forums. How the **** else can we get our displeasure across to SE, aside from just canceling our subs? We ALL wanted to play this game! No one is being forced to read the negative posts, you can control your clicking on titles like "Is the game really that bad" or "The soulless game" to name just a few. If you just take a look at the thread list first page, most are about game mechanics.


We've been told that SE reads the Feedback and Suggestions Forum, not the general forums. And we could have an SE rep come to the general forums and explicitly state, "Hey, we're just here to let you all know that we don't read these forums so if you're voicing your concerns here, we're probably missing them and instead please post them in the Feedback and Suggestion forums" and we'd still have trolls and morons posting here insisting that they're only doing it so that their voices are heard.

Have you see the Complaints Department thread? It's the place where 20 post wonders go to get rated to scholar so that they can come back around and karma bomb anyone who posts a positive spin on anything in the game. Funny how virtually every post in that thread is rated excellent and something like a Weekend Goals thread gets rated down. The people who are trying to enjoy the game are being treated like the interlopers. I've never seen so many lock icons in a single forum anywhere on ZAM in my 6 or 7 years on the site.

And for me, it's like a great big ol' candy dish that I have to try and avoid because the mirth to be had in baiting and flaming trolls and idiots is like putting a smartie in front of a fat kid and telling them they can't have it and then walking away. They spout off and cry and I have my fun and then I get the warnings and PMs because the report-happy crybabies can dish but can't take, the universe implodes, dogs and cats not only start getting along but posting their dislike for FFXIV in as many passive aggressive ways as they can think of to try and get around a Complaints Department lock and then we end up with threads like these.

A sad state of affairs indeed.
#11 Oct 30 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
Sorry to see a person with positive thoughts about the game leave. Maybe things will settle down after some time. Usually kids end up crying themselves to sleep after a temper tantrum.

Hope you have fun with the game and come back to the boards eventually
____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#12 Oct 30 2010 at 1:17 PM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Vorkosigan wrote:

Since Alla is an Official SE forum, we've been told that SE reps do read these forums. How the **** else can we get our displeasure across to SE, aside from just canceling our subs? We ALL wanted to play this game! No one is being forced to read the negative posts, you can control your clicking on titles like "Is the game really that bad" or "The soulless game" to name just a few. If you just take a look at the thread list first page, most are about game mechanics.


We've been told that SE reads the Feedback and Suggestions Forum, not the general forums. And we could have an SE rep come to the general forums and explicitly state, "Hey, we're just here to let you all know that we don't read these forums so if you're voicing your concerns here, we're probably missing them and instead please post them in the Feedback and Suggestion forums" and we'd still have trolls and morons posting here insisting that they're only doing it so that their voices are heard.

Have you see the Complaints Department thread? It's the place where 20 post wonders go to get rated to scholar so that they can come back around and karma bomb anyone who posts a positive spin on anything in the game. Funny how virtually every post in that thread is rated excellent and something like a Weekend Goals thread gets rated down. The people who are trying to enjoy the game are being treated like the interlopers. I've never seen so many lock icons in a single forum anywhere on ZAM in my 6 or 7 years on the site.

And for me, it's like a great big ol' candy dish that I have to try and avoid because the mirth to be had in baiting and flaming trolls and idiots is like putting a smartie in front of a fat kid and telling them they can't have it and then walking away. They spout off and cry and I have my fun and then I get the warnings and PMs because the report-happy crybabies can dish but can't take, the universe implodes, dogs and cats not only start getting along but posting their dislike for FFXIV in as many passive aggressive ways as they can think of to try and get around a Complaints Department lock and then we end up with threads like these.

A sad state of affairs indeed.


Rate up good sir because its so **** unfortunately true. Shame on you guys for having goals for the weekend btw, afterall, we all know having goals for a game you're playing makes you such an obvious fanboy that you deserve to get rated down >.>.

Its a shame to see you go rufus. Hopefully you'll come around again after a while when hopfully things settle down more. I can understand your frustration, hopefully that will change over time.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#13cornyboob, Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 1:32 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) lol troll lol
#14 Oct 30 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
37 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
I am trying to enjoy playing FFXIV, a game that I enjoy.


A contradictory statement if I've ever heard one.
#15 Oct 30 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Good
Vorkosigan wrote:
Alla has been the site of choice for me as far as posting goes, and I don't post that much considering I've been here since early 2004.
I guess you can call me a negative troll then, because even tho I waited years for 'Rapture', got into the tail end of the alpha, spent a lot to upgrade my pc and pre-ordered the CE, I am so disappointed in FFXIV that my posts are less than...glowing.

Since Alla is an Official SE forum, we've been told that SE reps do read these forums. How the **** else can we get our displeasure across to SE, aside from just canceling our subs? We ALL wanted to play this game! No one is being forced to read the negative posts, you can control your clicking on titles like "Is the game really that bad" or "The soulless game" to name just a few. If you just take a look at the thread list first page, most are about game mechanics.

Good luck finding a totally positive forum for the game. I think they're few & far between tho.


What about a "My Favorite Thing About FFXIV ^^" thread? That should be pretty safe right?

There's a difference between "less than glowing" and flat out trolling. One perhaps has the potential to add to the discussion and the game as a whole, the other is meant purely to deride and take away from any enjoyment people might have. Unfortunately, it seems some people have confused the two, and as Aurelius point out, you actually have people encouraging less of the first and more of the second.

While I appreciate that you've waited years for FFXIV, and invested a substantial amount of money based in large part on your anticipation on what FFXIV could be, realize that you're not the only one. There are people who have done that and more who are willing to give the game a couple more months before they write it off as "absolute sh*t" or "the worst game ever lawl!"

Which person should feel more welcome on a forum like this? Guys like prelude or Soezu who think FFXIV is dead in the water, and that we're all complete fanboys if we still have it installed on our computer; or people like the op here who actually likes the game, wants it to do well, but is just tired of all the negativity from people who honestly don't give a sh*t if FFXIV is still around in a month or two, people who actually want it to fail.

We all have opinions, but they are not created equal.

Edited, Oct 30th 2010 3:51pm by Redyoshi
#16 Oct 30 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
If you guys don't like rating system why are you here? It's an integral part of these forums, like it or not that is how these forums are run. You can't just suddenly hate the rating system now cause it works against you.

More people dislike the state of the game than like it, if you like it thats fine but you can't live in a vacume, unless you post on a silly forum like ffxivcore or w/e it was.

Also to be fair you find most people you define as negative keep their posts in topics that are to do with things we wish to talk about, I really don't think many with that pov look into the actual game topics or the stuff you perceive as positive. I don't anyway.

If you don't want to read negative stuff don't click on them.
Quote:

It isn't unreasonable to expect a fan site to cater to fans ... that said there isn't much to be done about negative trolls. They just are.


Just fyi a troll isnt someone that disagrees with you or has a different oppinion, a troll is someone that says stuff just to pi** you off and for no other reason. Big difference here, if you cover a game with a big fanbase you are going to get people genuinly annoyed if there are negative things about the game.

Edited, Oct 30th 2010 4:28pm by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#17 Oct 30 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
preludes wrote:
If you guys don't like rating system why are you here? It's an integral part of these forums, like it or not that is how these forums are run. You can't just suddenly hate the rating system now cause it works against you.


The rating system works perfectly fine when it isn't being abused by jack***es just because they happen to disagree with anyone that find fun and joy in the game.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#18 Oct 30 2010 at 5:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
The rating system works perfectly fine when it isn't being abused by jack***es just because they happen to disagree with anyone


The rating system has always worked like that, you just don't like it when it's being used in a way you disagree with(as in rating people up whos oppinion you don't like).

____________________________
BANNED
#19 Oct 30 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
It has, but that wasn't how it was intend to work. It's intended to rate up people who make constructive contributions, and rate down trolls, spammers, etc.

The karma system is not intended to rate down people just because you disagree with them. Maybe rate them down to Default/Decent, but not Subdefault.

And that's just an fyi. Personally I don't care about karma or whether people like or hate the game. Alla is fun for me regardless.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#20 Oct 30 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
preludes wrote:
Quote:
The rating system works perfectly fine when it isn't being abused by jack***es just because they happen to disagree with anyone


The rating system has always worked like that, you just don't like it when it's being used in a way you disagree with(as in rating people up down whos opinion you others don't like).


FTFY

If you actually tried to understand what I wrote, I did not say that I disagree with people rating others up because they agree with an opinion I don't share. I disagree with people rating others down because the post has an opinion other than your own. Rating down should be reserved for trolls and people who are acting troll-ish. Not for saying "This person's wrong because they don't agree with what I think." And most definitely not because someone enjoys a game a bunch of others think should fail just to teach SE a lesson.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#21 Oct 30 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Kachi wrote:
It has, but that wasn't how it was intend to work. It's intended to rate up people who make constructive contributions, and rate down trolls, spammers, etc.

The karma system is not intended to rate down people just because you disagree with them. Maybe rate them down to Default/Decent, but not Subdefault.

And that's just an fyi. Personally I don't care about karma or whether people like or hate the game. Alla is fun for me regardless.


It used to be that way. Back when I first started posting here, it was a commonly held understanding that you would use the rating system to deal with the typical spammers and trolls and also to rate posts based on their content (ie. good information = rate up, false information = rate down) as a means of indicating to people as they browsed through a thread what the community as a whole saw to be correct and appropriate. As I understand it, there used to be rules in place against using karma as a means to say, "I'm mad at you" or "I don't like you."

At some point that changed, and now apparently it's perfectly acceptable to use the karma system as means of sending a message to people you don't like with the underlying justification being that if you've got so many people rating you down and nobody rating you up that maybe you want to rethink your approach. Can't say I fully agree with that, but I can also see it's validity.

But right now it's out of control and the karma system is being used by people to direct their angst at SE onto other posters who have the audacity to mistake this for a fan site. When you blow the smoke off of it, that's all it's about. They don't have a direct line to SE and they feel the need to punish someone for disappointing them so much so people trying to enjoy and discuss the game are the next best thing.
#22 Oct 30 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
685 posts
Since the topic's moved on to trolls and such, this seems appropriate:

http://xkcd.com/810/
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#23 Oct 30 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
Aurelius wrote:


Have you see the Complaints Department thread? It's the place where 20 post wonders go to get rated to scholar so that they can come back around and karma bomb anyone who posts a positive spin on anything in the game. Funny how virtually every post in that thread is rated excellent and something like a Weekend Goals thread gets rated down. The people who are trying to enjoy the game are being treated like the interlopers. I've never seen so many lock icons in a single forum anywhere on ZAM in my 6 or 7 years on the site.



...What drugs are you on? No really, what drugs are you on?

Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I counted the amount of posts on the first page of the complaints thread and seperated it into two categories:

1.) People with 50 posts or less = 16 posts

2.) People with over 50 posts = 35 posts

Also your weekend accomplishment thread is rated Good, in fact every post except one is rated good or higher. What karma bomb are you talking about exactly?

And I rate people down when they attack someone with a negative opinion, not when they post something positive.



____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#24 Oct 30 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Excellent
*
105 posts
Thundernova wrote:
RufuSwho wrote:
I am trying to enjoy playing FFXIV, a game that I enjoy.


A contradictory statement if I've ever heard one.


If you knew how to read in context it actually makes sense. I will give you the long version.

He enjoys the game, not these forums. The overload of negative comments in threads, even those created to be insightful, are ruining his in game experience. Thus, he has decided to bid farewell to the ZAM community.
#25 Oct 30 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:

Also your weekend accomplishment thread is rated Good, in fact every post except one is rated good or higher. What karma bomb are you talking about exactly?

And I rate people down when they attack someone with a negative opinion, not when they post something positive.


Someone karma bombed it last week and apparently did it again this week. When someone goes through a positive thread that doesn't contain anything the least bit controversial or inflammatory and rates it down just because it's not a "RAH RAH HAETZ FFXIV" thread, there's something wrong.
#26 Oct 31 2010 at 12:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Im with you Rufuswho.

I have been around a lot less over the last few weeks as this has just become a playground for a bunch of kids with nothing better to do than hate on the game.

I think most of us (even those really enjoying the game), can agree that there are issues that certainly need to be resolved. But there is a way to express an opinion, a way to share yuor views and a way to communicate with other people.

To be honest, I suspect most of the people on this site and others speaking about how bad the games are, are the same people I am grouping with in game that are saying how much fun they are having. I have barely met anyone in game who hates it with the vitriol you see on this site. Which is odd - dont you think.

Some of the haters on this site have actually never even played and are just repeating what they have read elsewhere. This is also pretty tragic.

I had to read through countless threads whining about the lack of party search function. When I tried to helpfully point out exactly how to look for a group, I got rated down and ignored. No-one wants to hear solutions - they just want to hate. the problem is, the average 12 year old without the intelligence to play the game - can use a fansite. As a result, you are always going to get the hate.

I am old enough to realise that if most people in game a4re loving it - then there is a bright future regardless of the QQ'ers on fan sites.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#27 Oct 31 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
there isn't much to be done about negative trolls. They just are.


what is there to be said about sock accounts? *coughrateyourselfupmoreprzcough*


Edited, Oct 31st 2010 1:38am by Elamille
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#28 Oct 31 2010 at 12:46 AM Rating: Decent
**
608 posts
***** the fourms, the games alot better.
#29 Nov 01 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Elamille wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
there isn't much to be done about negative trolls. They just are.


what is there to be said about sock accounts? *coughrateyourselfupmoreprzcough*


Edited, Oct 31st 2010 1:38am by Elamille


What are you talking about?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 Nov 01 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Aurelius wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:

Also your weekend accomplishment thread is rated Good, in fact every post except one is rated good or higher. What karma bomb are you talking about exactly?

And I rate people down when they attack someone with a negative opinion, not when they post something positive.


Someone karma bombed it last week and apparently did it again this week. When someone goes through a positive thread that doesn't contain anything the least bit controversial or inflammatory and rates it down just because it's not a "RAH RAH HAETZ FFXIV" thread, there's something wrong.


It's been dealt with. At least with regards to the instances you mentioned.
#31 Nov 01 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,211 posts
Perhaps you could tell the other "Head-in-the-sand" folks what magical paradise forum you're going to that shirks reality and posts only positive/SE approved posts. I'm sure there are people who'd love to go with you.
____________________________
I be Ranz... the Melee White Mage. Arrrr.(As seen on Phoenix)
The friendliest Dynamis linkshell on Phoenix
My FFXI AH Info
#32 Nov 01 2010 at 6:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Ranzera wrote:
Perhaps you could tell the other "Head-in-the-sand" folks what magical paradise forum you're going to that shirks reality and posts only positive/SE approved posts. I'm sure there are people who'd love to go with you.



I may have misspoke. The person(s) unfairly karma bombing everything they come in contact with have been dealt with. People are still free to rate down everything that speaks positively of XIV that they wish, although I wish you guys (you know who you are) would ease up a bit.
#33 Nov 01 2010 at 7:00 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
283 posts
I appreciate your frustration, as I am still trying to figure out whether or not I will purchase this game in March for PS3. I do not think its appropriate to make your own thread to say goodbye to the forums, especially since you've just added another mine into the "battlefield of negativity" If it upsets you so much to see posted negativity: don't visit the site, or don't read the thread. Most importantly, don't hold yourself to another set of standards.

Pikko wrote:
Quote:
Alright, so it's been almost 3 weeks since CE release and yes, there's still a lot wrong with the game. Still, we don't need 500 threads about it and we certainly don't need everyone who is quitting to make their own. Lodge all your rants/complaints here. Quit here. Threads will be locked and pointed here. Report threads that get started after this one.


I think this thread is dead. Please lock. No real good can come out of here.

And, no disrespect to the admins, but coming here and posting with out locking (heck.. you are even empathizing with the OP) is only amplifying the OP message of negativity and chaos in the forums...
____________________________


#34 Nov 01 2010 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
The complaints thread is for people quitting FFXIV, not this site.
#35 Nov 01 2010 at 7:22 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:

Also your weekend accomplishment thread is rated Good, in fact every post except one is rated good or higher. What karma bomb are you talking about exactly?

And I rate people down when they attack someone with a negative opinion, not when they post something positive.


Someone karma bombed it last week and apparently did it again this week. When someone goes through a positive thread that doesn't contain anything the least bit controversial or inflammatory and rates it down just because it's not a "RAH RAH HAETZ FFXIV" thread, there's something wrong.


It's been dealt with. At least with regards to the instances you mentioned.


Much obliged, pardner.
#36 Nov 01 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
deronguerra wrote:
I appreciate your frustration, as I am still trying to figure out whether or not I will purchase this game in March for PS3. I do not think its appropriate to make your own thread to say goodbye to the forums, especially since you've just added another mine into the "battlefield of negativity" If it upsets you so much to see posted negativity: don't visit the site, or don't read the thread. Most importantly, don't hold yourself to another set of standards.

Pikko wrote:
Quote:
Alright, so it's been almost 3 weeks since CE release and yes, there's still a lot wrong with the game. Still, we don't need 500 threads about it and we certainly don't need everyone who is quitting to make their own. Lodge all your rants/complaints here. Quit here. Threads will be locked and pointed here. Report threads that get started after this one.


I think this thread is dead. Please lock. No real good can come out of here.

And, no disrespect to the admins, but coming here and posting with out locking (heck.. you are even empathizing with the OP) is only amplifying the OP message of negativity and chaos in the forums...


I was actually grateful in a tragic way that the OP opted to post this thread. The admins here are caught between a rock and a hard place, it seems. On one hand, it's not good for the site to be driving people away in droves and as a result, heavy handed moderation of threads that are started or shat upon by those who can't seem to contain their negative attitudes towards the game (and perhaps more importantly, those who are trying to enjoy it) is not good for business. And so having posters here point out that they're tired of it and are moving on is a bit of a counterbalance to suggest that just leaving things be to run their course is not without consequence.

I don't envy the admins their position in all of this but I am grateful that they're taking a slightly more proactive approach in dealing with all the tripe and nonsense. I guess my only question at this point is what happens when the negativity carries on beyond the November update and it's still not good enough for the detractors and still not bad enough for them to finally move on.
#37 Nov 01 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
283 posts
Quote:
The complaints thread is for people quitting FFXIV, not this site.


Aye, but "I'm quitting your forums" bears more weight then saying "I'm quitting their game". I personally don't condone threads like this, and professionally would not tolerate it, were it on my boards. You have the right to come and go as you please. Neither have to be announced, especially if you are going out in "a blaze of glory" Why make an public announcement on how you are leaving the site if you were not going to go back and see who responded, even if it were only for a day or two. Why complain about negative threads.. in a new negative thread when there is a complaints department? Why leave and want to leave a negative mark? Were it a new account to the forums trolling on how they can't stand to come here they would have been locked.

A sensible person would have made a post polling thoughts about the direction of the boards and a wish list on how things would be handled. Not a memorandum staying.. "I'm leaving until this place settles down"

Again, I appreciate your frustration... but we don't need new threads showing how people are fed up with X, Y and Z. Talk solutions, don't talk problems especially when you are trying to sell how negative everyone else is. If you aren't prepared to offer a solution to a problem, why bring it up? Drop a friendly note to an admin with suggestions, start something positive yourself or just move along.

____________________________


#38 Nov 01 2010 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
mitmystria wrote:
***** the fourms, the games alot better.


I wonder why so many of the people who like the game are here so often myself.

Probably waiting on leve timers to cool down I'm guessing.
____________________________
RotZ: Complete | CoP: Complete | ToAU: Complete | ACP: Complete | MKE: Complete | ASA: Complete | WotG: Complete
#39 Nov 01 2010 at 11:18 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Miitan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
***** the fourms, the games alot better.


I wonder why so many of the people who like the game are here so often myself.

Probably waiting on leve timers to cool down I'm guessing.


Waiting on ferries. Taking a break from crafting. Auto-run on the bridge to LL. All sorts of opportunities to stop by. I wonder why so many of the people who hate the game spend so much time on a fan site for it...
#40 Nov 01 2010 at 11:24 PM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Miitan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
***** the fourms, the games alot better.


I wonder why so many of the people who like the game are here so often myself.

Probably waiting on leve timers to cool down I'm guessing.


Waiting on ferries. Taking a break from crafting. Auto-run on the bridge to LL. All sorts of opportunities to stop by. I wonder why so many of the people who hate the game spend so much time on a fan site for it...


Because if you haven't noticed yet, Zam isn't just for FFXIV.
____________________________
RotZ: Complete | CoP: Complete | ToAU: Complete | ACP: Complete | MKE: Complete | ASA: Complete | WotG: Complete
#41 Nov 01 2010 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Miitan wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
Miitan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
***** the fourms, the games alot better.


I wonder why so many of the people who like the game are here so often myself.

Probably waiting on leve timers to cool down I'm guessing.


Waiting on ferries. Taking a break from crafting. Auto-run on the bridge to LL. All sorts of opportunities to stop by. I wonder why so many of the people who hate the game spend so much time on a fan site for it...


Because if you haven't noticed yet, Zam isn't just for FFXIV.


This corner of it is.
#42 Nov 01 2010 at 11:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Miitan wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
Miitan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
***** the fourms, the games alot better.


I wonder why so many of the people who like the game are here so often myself.

Probably waiting on leve timers to cool down I'm guessing.


Waiting on ferries. Taking a break from crafting. Auto-run on the bridge to LL. All sorts of opportunities to stop by. I wonder why so many of the people who hate the game spend so much time on a fan site for it...


Because if you haven't noticed yet, Zam isn't just for FFXIV.


This corner of it is.


How nice of you to notice.

It's also for those that bought FFXIV and I have the sad misfortune of being a member of that group.
____________________________
RotZ: Complete | CoP: Complete | ToAU: Complete | ACP: Complete | MKE: Complete | ASA: Complete | WotG: Complete
#43 Nov 01 2010 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Miitan wrote:
How nice of you to notice.

It's also for those that bought FFXIV and I have the sad misfortune of being a member of that group.


Okay, so you're here because you bought the game and don't like it. Others are here because they're posting from work or taking a break from the game (long one or short one, doesn't matter.)

What was your concern again?
#44 Nov 02 2010 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
It comes down to this:

If I see someone in a riced out Honda Civic with a **** can being annoying as **** and telling everyone how fast his car is, I'm going to make fun of his dumb ***.

Final Fantasy XIV is the Civic.
#45 Nov 02 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Default
**
548 posts
Quote:
If I see someone in a riced out Honda Civic with a **** can being annoying as sh*t and telling everyone how fast his car is, I'm going to make fun of his dumb ***.


Hilarious 2nd post. Good riddens OP, welcome this guy!
____________________________
MUTED
#46 Nov 02 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
I made this post because I didn't feel the Karma system was working for this board. The admin claim its helping more on the ffxiv board than on any others...


Quote:
Actually, of all the boards we have here, thats one of the ones where it seems to be working fairly well.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/fcluster/gotopost.pl?mid=1288207326185418689
#47 Nov 02 2010 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
iconchrono wrote:
It comes down to this:

If I see someone in a riced out Honda Civic with a **** can being annoying as sh*t and telling everyone how fast his car is, I'm going to make fun of his dumb ***.

Final Fantasy XIV is the Civic.


Yeah the problem is this is supposed to be the riced out honda civic with a **** can enthusiasts board, y'know?

I mean I hate this game, haaaaaeeet. But I try to bite my tongue. The issue is that a lot of people came here before the game was made, because they were final fantasy game enthusiasts, but this isn't a final fantasy board, this is a final fantasy XIV board.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#48 Nov 02 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,606 posts
Like Pikko said, come back after the patch though I would say wait a couple more weeks after it. There are probably a fair number of people on both sides of the fence who are waiting to see what the patch brings. People who would have already moved along are sticking around to see what happens in hopes of things making major improvements. Some aren't enjoying themselves at present and are expressing themselves. They are not necessarily the same as the trolls that just come on here and say "Tis game is teh suck!!!1!!1!11"

Aurelius wrote:
I was actually grateful in a tragic way that the OP opted to post this thread. The admins here are caught between a rock and a hard place, it seems. On one hand, it's not good for the site to be driving people away in droves and as a result, heavy handed moderation of threads that are started or shat upon by those who can't seem to contain their negative attitudes towards the game (and perhaps more importantly, those who are trying to enjoy it) is not good for business. And so having posters here point out that they're tired of it and are moving on is a bit of a counterbalance to suggest that just leaving things be to run their course is not without consequence.

I don't envy the admins their position in all of this but I am grateful that they're taking a slightly more proactive approach in dealing with all the tripe and nonsense. I guess my only question at this point is what happens when the negativity carries on beyond the November update and it's still not good enough for the detractors and still not bad enough for them to finally move on.

If they tried to start blocking anything negative, and still wished to keep some semblance of balance, they would also have to block anything positive as well. The boards would be made up solely of "How do I/Where do I" questions.
And on a side note, I've come across some "positive" threads about the game that go along fine but end with things along the lines of.. "but I think the one's always complaining need to learn to play" or "need to go back to WoW" or "want everything handed to them" etc. Please tell me how that's anything more than flamebait? It's no different than the person who posts a list of legitimate concerns about the game and then ends it with "and people who like the game are too simple to understand" or crap like that.

Edited, Nov 2nd 2010 1:11pm by MrTalos
#49 Nov 02 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Zam's FFXIV site is a FFXIV fansite. Just because you bought the game doesn't make you a fan. Buying the game and enjoying it does.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#50 Nov 02 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
MrTalos wrote:

If they tried to start blocking anything negative, and still wished to keep some semblance of balance, they would also have to block anything positive as well.


Read your own sentence again and tell me if that makes the least bit of sense to you after the fact.

Quote:
The boards would be made up solely of "How do I/Where do I" questions.


Probably. And then if these boards shape up like so many other game boards here at ZAM, sooner or later someone would create a sticky containing information and links for new playe...

Oh wait, Osarion already did.

And then some people would direct those asking the repetitious, mundane questions to the sticky and some carebear would come along and leap to their soup box with aplomb and denounce the sticky directing poster for not having simply answered the question.

Quote:
And on a side note, I've come across some "positive" threads about the game that go along fine but end with things along the lines of.. "but I think the one's always complaining need to learn to play" or "need to go back to WoW" or "want everything handed to them" etc. Please tell me how that's anything more than flamebait? It's no different than the person who posts a list of legitimate concerns about the game and then ends it with "and people who like the game are too simple to understand" or crap like that.


You find that kind of thing in every forum. The issue here isn't about stomping out all negativity. It's about restoring some semblance of balance and order. For a period of time and even now (though to a lesser extent) these boards were all about one braindead numpty after another starting their own thread to trash on the game despite countless other threads on the front page whining about the exact same things. And where it started to really cross the line, imo, is when said braindead numpties started karma bombing people in totally different threads just because they had the audacity to comment about something they enjoyed. You don't see that kind of behavior in any other game forum I've spent time on anywhere in the ZAM network. It just doesn't happen.
#51 Nov 02 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Aurelius wrote:
You find that kind of thing in every forum. The issue here isn't about stomping out all negativity. It's about restoring some semblance of balance and order. For a period of time and even now (though to a lesser extent) these boards were all about one braindead numpty after another starting their own thread to trash on the game despite countless other threads on the front page whining about the exact same things. And where it started to really cross the line, imo, is when said braindead numpties started karma bombing people in totally different threads just because they had the audacity to comment about something they enjoyed. You don't see that kind of behavior in any other game forum I've spent time on anywhere in the ZAM network. It just doesn't happen.


Balance and order was achieved by SE, not moderators. This forum was filled with hope and praises before beta...it slowly lost steam as complaints about the beta were brought to light...When release came with all the bugs people complained, new and old posters alike. Most voiced their opinion in a thread and were never seen from here again...they took your advice and left because the game had nothing to offer for them. That is the only balance you see now.

So we have 3 types of posters in the last month:

- FFXIV Fans
- FFXIV players who want to become fans
- Those who quit and complained

Only those who quit and complained are no longer here....and as such it is balanced. Most polls about the game show a very similar trend (specifically http://www.ffxivcore.com/blog/4/entry-910-1-month-grace-period-is-about-to-be-up/).

40% are fans
40% want the game to succeed
20% are leaving

I rounded my numbers a little but the point still remains, SE has naturally weeded out complainers and we are for the most part left with fans and those who want to become fans.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 28 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (28)