Hello all. In case people don't know yet, there are elementals in this game just like there were in FFXI. The only difference is that in FFXIV they look like faeries and are colored to match their elemental type.
That's not what is important however. What IS important, is that these specific mobs drop six(!) crystals of their type. Not shards, Crystals. So if you're a crafter lacking the crystals you need, then there is no better target out there than these.
Of course, you need to also be high enough rank in a Disciple of War or Magic to defeat them... Or get a group. The ones I found had the Red difficulty icon, but were manageable as a Rank 24 Conjurer. They did burn out almost all of my MP however.
The problem is finding these elusive creatures. I have only found the locations of two, and only one of them is a reliable spawn, it seems. That is why I am relying on the community to help fill in the blanks.
- You can find a Fire Elemental grouped with a Bomb and Skeleton south of Nophica's Wells in Thanalan at approximately 36,18 in an invisible cave. May share a spawn with them.
- 5,3 Nanawa Mines.
- Within Cassiopeia Hollow, apparently in varying locations water elementals can be found. They only seem to spawn during rainy weather.
- Lowlands north of Camp Bald Knoll. Apparently share a spawn with Yarzon Scavenger.
- Cassiopeia Hollow, westernmost room. Apparently share a spawn with bombs.
- Apparently can be found in a node south of Cactus Basin in Thanalan. Exact coordinates unknown.
- 30,33 of La Noscea.
Elementals that spawn from levequests drop crystals as well, but it seems to be extremely rare compared to those found in the wild.
Some elementals also seem to spawn according to the weather (the weather icon is on the top right of your screen next to the moon icon).
If you have found any, please let me know, and I will update this list as necessary.
Edited, Nov 9th 2010 3:40am by Lollerfell
Edited, Nov 9th 2010 6:16am by Lollerfell