Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Square Enix earnings tumble by 75% - FFXIV blamed.Follow

#102 Nov 08 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
I didn't read most of the replies.

But the forecasts does not necessary reflect anything until you look at other factors.

1st of all, Netincome does not reflect sales. net income have many things put together which can cut earning.

2nd of all, the sales info came at september 30, release of MMORPG is at 23. the game release on 30. You think all the data will comply within that 24 hours? No, most of the data at least require 5-10 days ahead of time to combine, what you are reporting is a lag. It is not valid to claim it is all FFXIV fault.

3rd point is when SE have many games, put the blame on FFXIV which is a long term project is unprofessional-ism when the game had yet to reach the potential due to higher barrier.

FFXIV require HIGH spec, which mean say 1 out of 10 kids might get an upgrade to be able to play it, will sales able to forecast the number of kids capable to obtain FFXIV due to it high spec? out of 10 kids, you would know only 1 is capable to play it so the sales will be 1.

FFXIV can NOT be accounted on par with PS3 games because it haven't release a Ps3 version yet.


Actually SE stock plummeted about 12% from last month. And about 1% from early August.

For just having released a big name game, that's bad.
#103 Nov 08 2010 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,211 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Does that mean their games are perfect? Of course not, but name a single game that is.


If Chrono Trigger wasn't perfect then I'm a horse' ***. I still play that game.
____________________________
I be Ranz... the Melee White Mage. Arrrr.(As seen on Phoenix)
The friendliest Dynamis linkshell on Phoenix
My FFXI AH Info
#104 Nov 08 2010 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
196 posts
Ranzera wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Does that mean their games are perfect? Of course not, but name a single game that is.


If Chrono Trigger wasn't perfect then I'm a horse' ***. I still play that game.


Amen to that.. I still carry it around in my emulation folder on my USB everywhere I GO :D..
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#105 Nov 08 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Quote:
Shadow of the Colossus


<---- See icon

Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#106 Nov 08 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
Quote:


Shadow of the Colossus

As much as i love... LOVE that game, and team ICO. SOtC was not a perfect game.
-Can't turn off 'god hints', which I didn't want.
-Mainly the unwieldy camera, frustrates the fk out of you.
-And the horse drives like a car with a steering wheel that only turns 2 degrees.
-The ending is trash. The one I built up in my head was much cooler

BUT. It is definitely a case where the awesomeness of the game still transcends those problems. I urge everyone to try playing it if you haven't. It's definitely a member of gaming history.

ps:(For the curious, my idea for ending STOC: You revive your chick, but end up turning into a colossus yourself. You play the last level as the girl, who picks up your sword, gets on agro, and decides to kill you out of pity for what you've become. Perfect ironic ending.) Also it would mean all the colossi are people that had come through this ritual before you, and also became part of the eternal collection of colossi. It answers everything:
-1 What are the colossi (People that made a deal with the devil)
-2 Why is this place forbidden (for your own protection)
-3 What happens to the chick? (She kills you and rides off into freedom.)
-4 Whats with the horny baby? (There isn't one, this is an ending that makes sense)

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 11:40am by RattyBatty


The ending makes sense, you just weren't paying attention.

Your ending is cliche, I like the ending that was actually in the game better than yours.



I hated the happy ending that seemed tacked on to Ico also. It looked to me like someone in marketing saw the ending and ordered them to "fix" it because it was depressing, so they just tacked on an extra bit onto the end.



Edited, Nov 8th 2010 10:30pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#107 Nov 09 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Wolfums wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
I didn't read most of the replies.

But the forecasts does not necessary reflect anything until you look at other factors.

1st of all, Netincome does not reflect sales. net income have many things put together which can cut earning.

2nd of all, the sales info came at september 30, release of MMORPG is at 23. the game release on 30. You think all the data will comply within that 24 hours? No, most of the data at least require 5-10 days ahead of time to combine, what you are reporting is a lag. It is not valid to claim it is all FFXIV fault.

3rd point is when SE have many games, put the blame on FFXIV which is a long term project is unprofessional-ism when the game had yet to reach the potential due to higher barrier.

FFXIV require HIGH spec, which mean say 1 out of 10 kids might get an upgrade to be able to play it, will sales able to forecast the number of kids capable to obtain FFXIV due to it high spec? out of 10 kids, you would know only 1 is capable to play it so the sales will be 1.

FFXIV can NOT be accounted on par with PS3 games because it haven't release a Ps3 version yet.


Actually SE stock plummeted about 12% from last month. And about 1% from early August.

For just having released a big name game, that's bad.


Of course the stock is going to skyrocket following the release of a big game, then it's going to settle back down.

It dropped 12% from September 27th, which it shot up to right after FFXIV's release, which was to be expected. Comparing to say.. May 26th, the previous 6 month low, it didn't drop at all. Comparing to a more realistic August 17th it only dropped 4%.

You can't compare a game to the developers stock price. Share holders will by and sell on a whim causing prices to plummet or skyrocket for absolutely no reason. Watching a ticker is a very basic way of judging a companies success.

By comparison Activision, Blizzard INC. shot up to a 6 month max by July 27th and subsequently dropped 12% between July 27th and August 30th and has been steadily rising since. Can you explain why?

#108 Nov 09 2010 at 1:36 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
The ending makes sense, you just weren't paying attention.

Your ending is cliche, I like the ending that was actually in the game better than yours.



I hated the happy ending that seemed tacked on to Ico also. It looked to me like someone in marketing saw the ending and ordered them to "fix" it because it was depressing, so they just tacked on an extra bit onto the end.

What's cliché these days, especially in japanese entertainment like anime/games, is making an ending that makes no sense on purpose. Then when someone criticizes them, you can just say "you didn't pay attention" and nobody can argue. Saves a lot of money.

Sorry, I like endings that have a **** thing to do with the story. Not a mishmash of symbols like some kind of religious text. That's always lazy writing.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#109 Nov 09 2010 at 3:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I have to agree that the Japanese seem to have a talent for botching an ending.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#110 Nov 09 2010 at 6:46 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
847 posts
Okay, so many misleading things here, where to begin...

First off, this whole thing is misleading. Yes, it's true. Sales were down in the first half, and thus, earnings were down. However, while sales were below expectations, profits were above target, meaning that despite not getting the sales they were expecting, they are still making more money than they were expecting.

So, Square Enix is still making quite a bit of money, despite the low sales.

Is it XIV's fault that sales are low? No, not really. While sales are rather low, FFXIV did pull in 630,000 which fairly good for an MMO. Rather, the blame is on the strong yen, as well as the low sales rate of Square Enix's other games, which are not pulling in the same numbers they are used to.

With that said, the true measure of an MMO's profitability is based on subscription numbers, not on units sold. So far, XIV hasn't pulled any money from subscriptions yet (remember, the game was released in September, and everyone got the free trial, which would have ended in October had Square not extended the free trial for another month.), and until then, the game hasn't made much money yet.

While the title is in a little trouble right now, I wouldn't say it's "dieing" yet. I imagine that things will pick up when the PS3 version arrives. And we'll see what new content the team pulls into the game, although I wouldn't hope to see an Auction House anytime soon. We'll probably see an Auction House in FFXIV at the same time Sony puts PS2 backwards compatibility back into the PS3's. But we do know that Wada and company are working on things, and they do hear us. Call me naive if you must, but I'd like to see how they fix things before I declare this game dead.

Overall, though, the article, and the discussion is rather misleading, as it's neither true that SE is going out of business soon, nor is it FFXIV's fault.

Edited, Nov 9th 2010 7:50am by Keylin
#111 Nov 09 2010 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
*
111 posts
You know what this means nothing ? I am loyal to SE and have played a lot of there games in the past including ff11 for 4 years>. I hate to say it but SE XIV besides the graphics which are nice. If they fix all the problems in the game it is still behind every other mmo that is out or about to come out by north American standards(before you bash me hear me out there are no events,instances that you can play as a party,no mounts,houses,no next genration gimmick that Na loves in there MMO'S , this is why the Toyko game show is a joke no companies even go and setup booths anymore except Japanese game makers.Japanese game makers are in a ditch and have not pulled themselves out.

Here is my suggestion SE just pull the game servers down for the next three months to match the Ps3 release fix all the bugs make some changes to game play and have a re-release party for the game.This will get all the bad press out of the fore front out of the press.One other note advertise the game how many of you have seen cod,moh,wow all advertising on tv draw in a bigger base.

Saying that I know SE will not give a refund back to its players but maybe they give everyone who bought the game a free new copy of the game and 6months free plus maybe some other goodies.

In My opinion this will be the only way to save the game unless ps3 users really are attracted to it.

Fellow gamers it is time to face the facts this game is hanging on by a thread now and needs some forgiveness from us and some MAJOR fixes from SE and a apology from them str8 from there boss Wada or whatever his name is,I want to hear you apologgize and resign from SE and let someone new with fresh ideas carry SE into the next generation of MMO"S

Yes i know your going to bash me for this but had to be said.

#112 Nov 09 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
21 posts
antshock30 wrote:

In My opinion this will be the only way to save the game unless ps3 users really are attracted to it.

Fellow gamers it is time to face the facts this game is hanging on by a thread now and needs some forgiveness from us and some MAJOR fixes from SE and a apology from them str8 from there boss Wada or whatever his name is,I want to hear you apologgize and resign from SE and let someone new with fresh ideas carry SE into the next generation of MMO"S

Yes i know your going to bash me for this but had to be said.


Not to bash you but those aren't facts, those are still part of your opinion. Plenty of people can see past the admittedly ridiculous flaws in this game and enjoy it.

I remember people churned out the same "facts" when EQ2 started (i played from day 1) when they couldnt keep the servers up for a day without crashing and endless game breaking bugs. Forums were full of 'The game will be shut down' and 'Sony is gonna have to pull the plug'. I was still playing it until around 3 months ago.

Lets just wait and see.
____________________________
#113 Nov 09 2010 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I keep seeing this 630k number floating around - maybe it's true and maybe it's not. 630k boxes shipped is what is reported, but that doesn't mean that they sold them nor will have 630k subscriptions when Nov payday comes around.

Besides that, 630k is a pretty low number when you consider all of the gamers in the world numbering in multi-millions. Fable 3 already doubled FFXIV's number and it's hasn't even been out a week. They can't compete with other mmos, they can't compete with offline games, so what exactly are they going to do?

I guess we will see come month end. Or whenever the much-anticipated magic patch is to be released. I really hope it's something spectacular.
#114Wloire, Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 12:45 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Is this your first MMO? MMO's are a niche, they always have been. WoW is the only MMO EVER to have sales similar to single player game sales. You can't even say the MMO genre is moving out of it's niche because aside from WoW and it's tourists inflating first month subscription numbers there has been very little growth in the MMO genre.
#115 Nov 09 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,606 posts
Wloire wrote:
Torrence wrote:
I keep seeing this 630k number floating around - maybe it's true and maybe it's not. 630k boxes shipped is what is reported, but that doesn't mean that they sold them nor will have 630k subscriptions when Nov payday comes around.

Besides that, 630k is a pretty low number when you consider all of the gamers in the world numbering in multi-millions. Fable 3 already doubled FFXIV's number and it's hasn't even been out a week. They can't compete with other mmos, they can't compete with offline games, so what exactly are they going to do?

I guess we will see come month end. Or whenever the much-anticipated magic patch is to be released. I really hope it's something spectacular.


Is this your first MMO? MMO's are a niche, they always have been. WoW is the only MMO EVER to have sales similar to single player game sales. You can't even say the MMO genre is moving out of it's niche because aside from WoW and it's tourists inflating first month subscription numbers there has been very little growth in the MMO genre.

If FFXIV sold 630 000 boxes then it did well for itself (strangely enough), that is a great number for an MMO, even a AAA MMO. Even Vanilla WoW in its first month sold 670 000 - 699 999 boxes in the same amount of time.

Please don't try to make claims you have no understanding of. MMO's have never sold as many copies as single player games. Why is a question for another day but they never have and never will. **** even Cataclysm wont sell as many copies as Fable 3 will. Your argument is so flawed its incredible.


I think the important thing was that the 630,000 number appears to be boxes shipped. That's stores and stuff like that. We haven't heard anything about actual numbers of subscribers AFAIK.
#116 Nov 09 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Is this your first MMO? MMO's are a niche, they always have been. WoW is the only MMO EVER to have sales similar to single player game sales. You can't even say the MMO genre is moving out of it's niche because aside from WoW and it's tourists inflating first month subscription numbers there has been very little growth in the MMO genre.

If FFXIV sold 630 000 boxes then it did well for itself (strangely enough), that is a great number for an MMO, even a AAA MMO. Even Vanilla WoW in its first month sold 670 000 - 699 999 boxes in the same amount of time.

Please don't try to make claims you have no understanding of. MMO's have never sold as many copies as single player games. Why is a question for another day but they never have and never will. **** even Cataclysm wont sell as many copies as Fable 3 will. Your argument is so flawed its incredible.


I seem to have struck a nerve. The big takeaway is to look at the number of boxes that shipped, then the number of boxes that sold (about 350k in EU and NA leaving JP to make up a hefty 280k by themselves since the data is missing so we don't know for sure), then after a month the subscriptions that were still active, then after the second free month active subs again. It's just a guess, but people have been compiling server populations and it's looking pretty grim. I don't think half the people who bought it are sticking with it, and even that's being generous considering that 630k\18 servers = 35,000 accounts per each server and we are seeing nowhere near that amount. Do you see anywhere near that amount of people online on your server? Try peak time for JP, NA, and EU - if the number hits 2k I'd be surprised.

Where are all those boxes, then?

MMO's aren't really a niche market anymore(unless 10million plus people can be considered niche). Final Fantasy MMOs are a niche market, and a market that is swiftly becoming a novelty market.
#117 Nov 09 2010 at 3:12 PM Rating: Excellent
**
401 posts

Quote:
Where are all those boxes, then?


Still sitting in the stores because they are NOT SOLD COPIES! just shipped boxes.


Edited, Nov 9th 2010 2:13pm by TheRealLusent
____________________________




#118 Nov 09 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
*
51 posts
no one wants to play this dump.
simple as that.
#119 Nov 09 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
Is this your first MMO? MMO's are a niche, they always have been. WoW is the only MMO EVER to have sales similar to single player game sales. You can't even say the MMO genre is moving out of it's niche because aside from WoW and it's tourists inflating first month subscription numbers there has been very little growth in the MMO genre.

If FFXIV sold 630 000 boxes then it did well for itself (strangely enough), that is a great number for an MMO, even a AAA MMO. Even Vanilla WoW in its first month sold 670 000 - 699 999 boxes in the same amount of time.

Please don't try to make claims you have no understanding of. MMO's have never sold as many copies as single player games. Why is a question for another day but they never have and never will. **** even Cataclysm wont sell as many copies as Fable 3 will. Your argument is so flawed its incredible.


I seem to have struck a nerve. The big takeaway is to look at the number of boxes that shipped, then the number of boxes that sold (about 350k in EU and NA leaving JP to make up a hefty 280k by themselves since the data is missing so we don't know for sure), then after a month the subscriptions that were still active, then after the second free month active subs again. It's just a guess, but people have been compiling server populations and it's looking pretty grim. I don't think half the people who bought it are sticking with it, and even that's being generous considering that 630k\18 servers = 35,000 accounts per each server and we are seeing nowhere near that amount. Do you see anywhere near that amount of people online on your server? Try peak time for JP, NA, and EU - if the number hits 2k I'd be surprised.

Where are all those boxes, then?

MMO's aren't really a niche market anymore(unless 10million plus people can be considered niche). Final Fantasy MMOs are a niche market, and a market that is swiftly becoming a novelty market.


No no, MMO's are a niche market, WoW is not a Niche market. It's as simple as that. WoW is an outlier, it cannot be considered at all in this regard because no other Pay to Play MMO has replicated its success. Not EVE, not WAR, not EQ2, Vanguard, AOC, FFXI, Tabula Rasa, FFXIV, Lineage, not even Aion. WoW is not a solid representation of the MMO population. If Blizzard were to shut the game down tomorrow you wouldn't have twelve million people spreading out amongst the industry. You would have 11 million players moving back to single player games.

Yes you did hit a nerve. :-) Unfortunately I can't stand when people may clueless remarks like "The mmo market isn't niche anymore! Look at World of Warcraft's 12 million players!"

My understanding of the whole 630 000 boxes sold matter is a little limited. Don't retailers have to pay SE for the box so that they can in turn sell it? Did Square Enix make 37 800 000 dollars or not?
#120 Nov 09 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
I haven't looked at any official numbers, but I'll bet if you look at all the other MMO's the combined # is equal to or higher than WoW. So it seems alot of people want to play MMO's, it just happens that only Blizzard has been able to make one that alot of people want to play. I don't know if you can call MMO a niche genre...


Edited, Nov 9th 2010 5:56pm by KristoFurwalken
#121 Nov 09 2010 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
80 posts
There aren't any official FFXIV subscription numbers but I've always relied on MMOData.net when I'm interested in some numbers. So, for reference:

http://mmodata.net/

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

You can view other charts on their website.
#122 Nov 09 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Kachi wrote:
I have to agree that the Japanese seem to have a talent for botching an ending.
lol @ ffx-2 "perfect" ending.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#123 Nov 09 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
Sycko wrote:
Thats what happen when you release an MMORPG too early.


This game was not released to early. Release dates are determined during the discovery phase of a project.

What we see here is the result of a project falling well behind schedule.
____________________________

Rift Signature
#124 Nov 09 2010 at 7:52 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
I haven't looked at any official numbers, but I'll bet if you look at all the other MMO's the combined # is equal to or higher than WoW. So it seems alot of people want to play MMO's, it just happens that only Blizzard has been able to make one that alot of people want to play. I don't know if you can call MMO a niche genre...


Edited, Nov 9th 2010 5:56pm by KristoFurwalken


Actually they don't. They really don't. At 500 000 subscriptions EVE online is considered a success and it took 7 years to get there. DDO didnt even top 300 when it went free. I'm not sure on LoTRO since its gone free. Unless you count the "Runescape" type games. Please don't pull numbers out of your ***.

MMO's are still a niche. On the other hand you can debate that the success of Lineage and Aion in Asia proves that MMO's are not a niche. Then I would point you to games not released in a country with 1.02 Billion Human beings.
#125 Nov 09 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Default
*
95 posts
Thank you for this post. Any of the "SE Defenders" want to say something about it?
#126 Nov 09 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
Quote:
The ending makes sense, you just weren't paying attention.

Your ending is cliche, I like the ending that was actually in the game better than yours.



I hated the happy ending that seemed tacked on to Ico also. It looked to me like someone in marketing saw the ending and ordered them to "fix" it because it was depressing, so they just tacked on an extra bit onto the end.

What's cliché these days, especially in japanese entertainment like anime/games, is making an ending that makes no sense on purpose. Then when someone criticizes them, you can just say "you didn't pay attention" and nobody can argue. Saves a lot of money.

Sorry, I like endings that have a **** thing to do with the story. Not a mishmash of symbols like some kind of religious text. That's always lazy writing.


It made sense, you just were not paying attention.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#127 Nov 09 2010 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Numnaydar wrote:
There aren't any official FFXIV subscription numbers but I've always relied on MMOData.net when I'm interested in some numbers. So, for reference:

http://mmodata.net/

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

You can view other charts on their website.


So FFXI's subscriptions were flat until 2008, which was just around the time SE left it on auto pilot.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#128 Nov 09 2010 at 8:08 PM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Wloire wrote:
KristoFurwalken wrote:
I haven't looked at any official numbers, but I'll bet if you look at all the other MMO's the combined # is equal to or higher than WoW. So it seems alot of people want to play MMO's, it just happens that only Blizzard has been able to make one that alot of people want to play. I don't know if you can call MMO a niche genre...


Edited, Nov 9th 2010 5:56pm by KristoFurwalken


Actually they don't. They really don't. At 500 000 subscriptions EVE online is considered a success and it took 7 years to get there. DDO didnt even top 300 when it went free. I'm not sure on LoTRO since its gone free. Unless you count the "Runescape" type games. Please don't pull numbers out of your ***.

MMO's are still a niche. On the other hand you can debate that the success of Lineage and Aion in Asia proves that MMO's are not a niche. Then I would point you to games not released in a country with 1.02 Billion Human beings.


WoW is Facebook or Myspace in the form of an MMO. Even Blizzard's commercials have an undertone of "everyone else is playing WoW, why aren't you playing WoW?" Most people don't play WoW because they want to play an MMO, they play WoW because all their friends are playing it. Ask any former WoW player why they stopped playing and 95% of the time the reason is because their friends stopped playing.



Edited, Nov 9th 2010 10:12pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#129 Nov 09 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Good
*
164 posts
The good news is, based on those charts, even with only 50,000 players, a game can continue to run. That should cheer up the SE fans.
#130 Nov 09 2010 at 8:19 PM Rating: Good
*
95 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
The good news is, based on those charts, even with only 50,000 players, a game can continue to run. That should cheer up the SE fans.


This game has nowhere near 50,000 players as of right now.
#131 Nov 09 2010 at 11:28 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Tenkuro wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
The good news is, based on those charts, even with only 50,000 players, a game can continue to run. That should cheer up the SE fans.


This game has nowhere near 50,000 players as of right now.


Did you mean that in the positive way or the negative? 1000 people logged in while you are does not equal 1000 x server number subscriptions.
#132 Nov 10 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
WoW is Facebook or Myspace in the form of an MMO. Even Blizzard's commercials have an undertone of "everyone else is playing WoW, why aren't you playing WoW?" Most people don't play WoW because they want to play an MMO, they play WoW because all their friends are playing it. Ask any former WoW player why they stopped playing and 95% of the time the reason is because their friends stopped playing.


Right, but this sword cuts both ways. Ask anyone who plays FFXI why they stick with it and 90% of the time the top or second to the top answer will be "my LS" which translates to my friends. They don't necessarily think that FFXI itself is the cat's meow, but they would all agree that good linkshells equal a good social experience and subsequently, a good game overall.

My main point was that the mmo market in general is not niche anymore. People crave that online social experience of adventuring and interacting with friends - it's everywhere from Halo to co-op in Fable to PC mmos to Farmville on Facebook. FFXIV has a real chance to capture the imagination of millions if they will just... Get their heads out of the sand and start producing what people want, not what they think people should want.

This is a *real* market, not just a small group of high school chess club boys playing D&D in their garages anymore. It's big money, and big entertainment that lasts years.
#133 Nov 10 2010 at 4:12 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
WoW is Facebook or Myspace in the form of an MMO. Even Blizzard's commercials have an undertone of "everyone else is playing WoW, why aren't you playing WoW?" Most people don't play WoW because they want to play an MMO, they play WoW because all their friends are playing it. Ask any former WoW player why they stopped playing and 95% of the time the reason is because their friends stopped playing.


Right, but this sword cuts both ways. Ask anyone who plays FFXI why they stick with it and 90% of the time the top or second to the top answer will be "my LS" which translates to my friends. They don't necessarily think that FFXI itself is the cat's meow, but they would all agree that good linkshells equal a good social experience and subsequently, a good game overall.

My main point was that the mmo market in general is not niche anymore. People crave that online social experience of adventuring and interacting with friends - it's everywhere from Halo to co-op in Fable to PC mmos to Farmville on Facebook. FFXIV has a real chance to capture the imagination of millions if they will just... Get their heads out of the sand and start producing what people want, not what they think people should want.

This is a *real* market, not just a small group of high school chess club boys playing D&D in their garages anymore. It's big money, and big entertainment that lasts years.


Go to this site: http://mmodata.blogspot.com/search/label/News

Add the subscription numbers for 2010-2011 (or the closest you can find) for every game on each subscription list.
This should include:
World of Warcraft
Aion
Lineage
Lineage 2
Runescape (free, ******)
Warhammer Online
Age of Conan
Final Fantasy 11
Everquest
Dofus (Free, never tried)
EVE Online
Everquest 2
Star Wars Galaxies
Lord of the rings Online
Ultima Online
Dark Age of Camelot
City of Heroes/Villains
a slew of the sub 50 subscription games you can check for yourself. (try not to count the games that have been shut down).

This is the data for nearly every MMO, and the subscription numbers for every significant MMO.
All together you will get approximately 22 million subscriptions. Now that could be alt accounts, people who play more than one game, etc but we will take that as 22 million separate subscriptions.

Thats less people than live in Canada. Less than 0.5% of the human population or on a more realistic scale only twice as many people in 14 years worth of MMO gaming as Modern Warfare 2 sold in 10 weeks. You know who makes up over 11 million of those subscriptions coming in at half the entire tally? World of Warcraft. as many subscriptions as approximately the next 40 games combined. That is what they call a outlier in statistics, or better yet an anomaly.

Without WoW the next largest subscription base belongs to Aion which at 3.5 million is a great success but you have to remember that a good chunk of those numbers are Asian players. Actually the top 3 games after World of Warcraft are all games that found huge success in Asia but varying success in the U.S.

So again I state my point. The MMO industry is a niche market. World of Warcraft on the other hand is not a niche market.
1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)