Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Is it just me or... Non-English playersFollow

#1 Nov 06 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
As a person who played a few "less desirable" jobs in XI occasionally during peak EU/JP times, I've noticed that there seems to be more effort on the part of non-English speaking players (specifically the Japanese) in communicating and grouping up together.

On XI, I'd rarely run into the random group that just wanted the last PT slot filled and it didn't matter as long as you did your job well. Even when I played as WHM or PLD I'd get a JP only party fairly often, so when I got a PT invite as THF it made me really happy.

In XIV though, I've had the pleasure of multiple JP parties. Two parties with French. And a mixmash of I think Polish and German in one group. Every one was very polite, communicating through gestures when auto translate wasn't cutting it. None of us "needed" each other. It was just nice to group up.

Sadly it seems (with exceptions) that most English speaking players are playing this game solo, or with LS only. I mean I've only done Behest twice with a PUG that spoke English and joined into a party. Every other time if I got a PT formed for the event it was JPs...

I guess what I'm getting at is alot of people seem to be trying really hard to overcome language barriers and experience the limited content together... except for some reason, alot of us English speaking players who complain every now and then about JP Onry... well we don't seem to be making the extra effort outside of our social groups. Maybe we should try a bit harder. I know I have a lot of fun trying to think of the right emotes to convey my thoughts.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#2 Nov 06 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Just to be cynical, this game gives you bonuses for having more people in a group, thats disproportionate to what that person brings to a group. A group that would have been "JP only" may take on NA nubs to get their party bonus higher.
____________________________


#3 Nov 06 2010 at 6:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
398 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Just to be cynical, this game gives you bonuses for having more people in a group, thats disproportionate to what that person brings to a group. A group that would have been "JP only" may take on NA nubs to get their party bonus higher.


Ahah, so true. The worse you are, the more SP we get!

The only exceptions I would make are on Raptors and Healers- You can have too many healers. However, you can never have too many gimpy gladiators with their gimpy damage!
#4 Nov 06 2010 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Just to be cynical, this game gives you bonuses for having more people in a group, thats disproportionate to what that person brings to a group. A group that would have been "JP only" may take on NA nubs to get their party bonus higher.


To be even more cynical, they are probably wondering why you don't go sit down after joining the group.
____________________________



#5 Nov 06 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Kuja, I did honestly think about that... but it doesn't give them incentive to try to communicate through a painful system of auto translate and emotes for the duration of the experience. The PTs I got in XI where I felt/knew I was a last resort, I didn't get the level of communication I do in XIV until about 30 min in or so when I'd proven myself (below or above their standards, either way it became obvious in both situations).

I don't know if it's because we're all in new MMO mode, help eachother out etc... or if they're truly trying harder because of some of the things that were posted on boards (theirs, and ours) and then later translated to the opposite community. Thus this thread, to see if maybe it's just a fluke and I was on a "rude" server in XI and a really nice one in XIV or if other people have had similar experiences.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#6 Nov 06 2010 at 7:00 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Hey I'd love to believe it was just people being friendlier. Either because we're on equal footing this time, or even if its because there just arent enough people left to be picky.
____________________________


#8 Nov 06 2010 at 7:37 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
a painful system of auto translate and emotes


Yeah because (|Monster|) (|Fight|) (|Raptor|) and (|Quest|) (|Monster|) (|North|) is so hard to understand.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#9 Nov 06 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
a painful system of auto translate and emotes


Yeah because (|Monster|) (|Fight|) (|Raptor|) and (|Quest|) (|Monster|) (|North|) is so hard to understand.


shh... don't make fun of the special people.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#10 Nov 06 2010 at 10:06 PM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
If you used the dictionary more often you'd realize how broken it is. It seems to only be able to remember words you don't want to use. Try using it more often, especially in menu party recruit.

#11 Nov 06 2010 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
97 posts
As a NA player that came from FFXI I have that "JP ONRY" stima still latched onto my playing habits. I would love to meet these JP or any non english speakers reach out to party. Then again with the leve system and limited playing time, I find it easier to do my own things. I guess we all have our reasons, but for me it's not like I wouldn't welcome it.
#12 Nov 07 2010 at 12:21 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
It might be just me or no one fully gets what went on with jp onry. First off I with alot of jp player over 7 years in ffxi. Most comment how ride most americans are. And most american players are rude to the japanese. If i'm playing a game and see alot of american saying rude comments I wouldn't pt with them. Also some just wanted to talk. If they don't know a ton of english, they may not want non japanese players. Which isn't rude. They want to have fun and talk. So far no japanese player I seen was rude to an english speaker. There are bad eggs on both sides. But I seen more americans be rude to the japanese more so then the other way around.
Tip respect your fellow gamers no matter what and you will get it back.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#13 Nov 07 2010 at 12:26 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
a painful system of auto translate and emotes


Yeah because (|Monster|) (|Fight|) (|Raptor|) and (|Quest|) (|Monster|) (|North|) is so hard to understand.

ever consider that there sentence isn;t like ours. That might read raper is noth monster. Or something that don;t make sence to them.
Take example of the anime title. Kaze no stigma traslated it means mark of wind. litteral translation is wind of mark. understand?
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#14 Nov 07 2010 at 12:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
386 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
a painful system of auto translate and emotes


Yeah because (|Monster|) (|Fight|) (|Raptor|) and (|Quest|) (|Monster|) (|North|) is so hard to understand.

ever consider that there sentence isn;t like ours. That might read raper is noth monster. Or something that don;t make sence to them.
Take example of the anime title. Kaze no stigma traslated it means mark of wind. litteral translation is wind of mark. understand?


I understand your point, but your example doesn't seem to be a good one. Maybe its because I speak Japanese but as a literal translation Kaze no stigma to me would be Wind's Stigma or Stigma of Wind which to me both make sense.

Edited, Nov 7th 2010 2:42am by ThePacster
#15 Nov 07 2010 at 12:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
24 posts
I don't group all that often, not that I don't enjoy grouping. The one time I was in a group just to work on skilling up etc, it was so incredibly boring. All we did was run around slaughtering jellyfish. It wouldn't have been bad except that it didn't seem to be all that better than soloing, and we were all within a couple ranks of each other. We were caster heavy so maybe that was it but I got about the same amount of skill ups as I would have solo grinding other mobs. The drops were kind of meh too, I could have gotten way more shards soloing as well. Perhaps it was simply the location, everyone wanted to go to Cassiopeia Hollow so I went along just to be grouping. Unfortunately like I said, there wasn't anything going on to make it more appealing than soloing. Perhaps I just need to do it more often but I got more "reward" and enjoyment out of soloing, crafting and doing the occasional leves with my fiancee.


That being said, I don't know what it is about this game but the foreign (to me) players DO seem to be a lot friendlier and make more of an effort to communicate than I've experienced in other games before. It's not that I really want to be stereotyping, it's just personal experience. I have not had good experiences in the past. I was in a leve party with my fiancee and one of our irl friends and we had a random japanese person join us. The first thing he said (after Hello) was that he was japanese and was that ok? ... I don't know what experiences this guy has had but no one should have to feel apologetic for theit ethnicity. He didn't have any levels of his own, he just wanted to be grouping and helping us with ours. That was pretty cool. =)

Also, I've tried to communicate with people selling stuff before and while I don't know their nationality, it hasn't worked out well very often. This was approximately right before they released the ward update and I was desperately searching for tool upgrades. I saw a guy selling one for two of my DoH classes and was thrilled but his prices seemed a little high to me. So I sent him a tell asking if he would sell at a discount since I was interested in buying multiple items from him. It was slow going at first, (due to lag it seemed) until I tried to recruit him into our crafting linkshell because he didn't have one displayed. That's when he told me he was Japanese and didn't understand english very well. I apologized, because I don't use the auto translator enough and a lot of times it has nothing for what I want to say. So this guy was spending a good chunk of time translating what I was saying to him and was still willing to haggle with me. The point of this tangent I guess was that I agree, for whatever reason the non english speaking people do seem to be making more of an effort here and for that I am very appreciative. It does kind of give me a warm fuzzy :P


I personally would put more of an effort into grouping if it felt as rewarding as soloing. Though it would probably help if I wasn't below rank 20 :P
#16 Nov 07 2010 at 12:50 AM Rating: Good
**
315 posts
stigma means mark. My example came from english translated name of the anime found on anime news network. Another example is ponyo. Part where ponyo is saying she likes souske <sp> in japanese ponyo said ponyo souske ski <sp> ofc going on sound not text. in lit english it be ponyo souske love. in english sentace it be ponyo loves souske. Taken right from the anime :) wish i knew correct spelling. But as you said you know japanese. I know spanish. Don't mean what we type makes sence to them even if we know what we are saying.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#17 Nov 07 2010 at 12:55 AM Rating: Good
**
315 posts
best thing to do is not think about personal rewards. Personally that is the down fall of ffxi atm ppl thinking too much about themselves to want to group. I group to have fun, that is my reward. I play to have fun and meet new players If i get levels doing it, that is just iceing on the cake. :) Maybe american players should think less about personal gain and more about trying to have fun. Just group for the sake of meeting newx people. Talk to them. :)
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#18 Nov 07 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
24 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
best thing to do is not think about personal rewards. Personally that is the down fall of ffxi atm ppl thinking too much about themselves to want to group. I group to have fun, that is my reward. I play to have fun and meet new players If i get levels doing it, that is just iceing on the cake. :) Maybe american players should think less about personal gain and more about trying to have fun. Just group for the sake of meeting newx people. Talk to them. :)


I'm not an ffx1 person, I never played that game. Actually, I've never really been into any of the final fantasy games, I only came here because my fiancee knows I love crafting as much as he does and despite the flaws it does have, we haven't enjoyed crafting in a game this much in a while.

And btw, my personal play preferences have nothing at all to do with my ethnicity. I don't have unlimited amounts of play time so while I DO try to communicate with people, (Sorry if my post made it seem like I don't) I want to have fun. Fun for me is not running around grinding for hours with almost nothing to show for it. I enjoy crafting etc, I need mats and shards for crafting. I can just as easily chat with people while I craft as I could be grinding mobs with little to show for the effort.

I really don't think the fact that I want what I put into the game to equal what I get out of it has any relation to my willingness to meet people. As for having fun, yes, that's what I'm trying to have. Although I wouldn't appreciate people trying to me what fun should be, I can decide that for myself.
#19 Nov 07 2010 at 1:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
it wasn't to you. It was a general statemant to all posters. Sorry if it seemed like it was you personaly. ffxi is a good game. SE first and highly successful mmo. 8 years only 1 server merge which went well. ffxi is known for a great community but saddly that community is being ruined by new players/ returning players in mad rushes to get to endgame. And no one is really helping each other. Just requiring PL and playing w/o gear bring 40+ w/o sub job. stuff you couldn;t get away with years ago. I still play the game but don;t like the direction the cmmunity is going. It used to be d-bags was too few and far apart to almost an everyday thing.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#20 Nov 07 2010 at 2:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
393 posts
@Perrino: A bit OT question...how did you manage to find a party? Through party search? Or /s or /sh in cities & camps?

I have mostly partied with people from my LS, and have only managed to party with JP players once so far, which is something I enjoyed greatly during my FFXI days. Admittedly, I've only played with JP players back then, but everyone was always polite and patient, even when someone did something rude or stupid (leaving party w/o notice, targeting wrong mob causing party wipe-out, etc.) I am also guilty of soloing most of the time, simply because I don't have as much free time as before. So even if I do manage to find a party, I won't be able to grind for hours on end.

And speaking of the auto-translate function, personally I find it is usually the English-speaking players who abuse it the most. Just because you manage to string some words and phrases together that sort of make sense, doesn't mean its French/German/Japanese translation will make sense at all. It's true auto-translate has its limit, but some people's "creative" uses just make matters worse. The non-EN players will think, "What is he on?" and refuse to party with you. :D
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#21 Nov 07 2010 at 4:00 AM Rating: Default
***
3,825 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
a painful system of auto translate and emotes


Yeah because (|Monster|) (|Fight|) (|Raptor|) and (|Quest|) (|Monster|) (|North|) is so hard to understand.


Yeah except it doesn't come across that way to other people if we did it to JP or EU

uomaru wrote:
@Perrino: A bit OT question...how did you manage to find a party? Through party search? Or /s or /sh in cities & camps?


Usually just by say or pointing to the battlewarden, though I've had a JP trio just pick me up in the middle of grinding. The leader spoke decent English and didn't use auto-translte, but his/her friends made the effort to communicate.

Edited, Nov 7th 2010 10:10am by PerrinofSylph
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#24 Nov 07 2010 at 9:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
235 posts
it's basically the same as in FFXI, or any other MMO for that matter. For American players, it's more about ourselves.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)