Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Auction houseFollow

#1 Nov 07 2010 at 1:06 AM Rating: Good
We have already heard a lot about the auction house. Here is a new spin on this.

Consider the three classes in the game: disciples of the land (DoL), of the hand (DoH), and of war/magic (DoW). The theory goes as follows. For the game to work, you need a combination of three things:
- DoL who produce raw materials and sell it to the DoH
- DoH who buy raw materials and craft; two things happen: they can 1) sell to other DoH who are typically at higher ranks and need those items to craft more complex objects, 2) to DoW.
- DoW who buy items (armor, weapons, etc) to go around and kill monsters.

This is similar to an ecosystem where everyone is dependent on everyone else. DOL can produce endlessly since it does not require (too much) gil to mine, gather, or fish (they are the herbivores). DoH make money since they can buy parts and sell the crafted items for a profit (they are the small predators). DoW can buy because they get rewarded with gils when they kill monsters (they are the large predators). So everyone is happy, the economy is growing, there is no unemployment, and everyone is leveling up and enjoying the game.

In the current state of the game though, there is a glitch which is that this virtual economy requires an efficient system to buy and sell. You will have guessed: the auction house!

Why isn't there an auction house? An auction house allows speculators to thrive. Speculators in fact help the game in significant ways. Say that region A is strong in mining and produces a lot of ore. It will sell cheap since there is plenty of it. Say region B consumes a lot of ore, because there are plenty of crafters for example. They mostly buy from local miners. However in B, there isn't much ore and so the quantities are limited and the prices are high. Here comes the speculator. He buys ore for cheap from A and sells it to B for a profit. What happens? Since there are now more buyers in A, the prices rise and miners in A get richer. This is good since it is efficient to mine in A. So people should be encouraged to do so. Crafters in B can now get plenty of ore for cheaper. The prices end up equilibrating. The losers are the miners in B who now have fierce competition and probably go out of business. But then, they probably should not mine in B if it is difficult and time consuming. You get the idea...

What is the downside of the auction house? It's well known. It's the problem of monopoly on some goods. This allows the seller to sell items at pretty much arbitrary prices.

In the mean time, there is no auction house. At least, the upcoming search function will be a huge step forward. In the current state, DoL produce a ton of raw materials, that they have a hard time to sell. DoH cannot easily craft because it is difficult to buy. Then it is difficult to sell so this is not motivating. Items accumulate. DoW are painfully making progress since it is arduous to get weapons and armor. Of course the hardcore gamers can get by by basically covering a bit of everything and being able to be nearly autonomous. Clearly though, this was not the intent of the developers.

In fact, I find this idea of a virtual world in which everyone depends on everyone else rather appealing and fascinating. We just need a better engine at the core to get this virtual economy going. It feels more like a recession now, or the middle ages when traveling to the next town would take a whole day and people were reduced to trading with their neighbors...

Let me know what you think.
#2 Nov 07 2010 at 1:11 AM Rating: Excellent
**
284 posts
Sounds good. Prepare for the others to attack you though sadly.
#3 Nov 07 2010 at 1:23 AM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
ecomamies shouldn't be built over night, SE already stated why. and no not rmt and no market wards don;t replace AH. Infact ffxi when it was jp only, never had an AH. If you look @ ffxi AH it is now failing, more so then the inflation. SE wants the econ to build naturally and put in the AH to avoid the nasty years long inflation which ws caused by both rmt and players. Plus buildong a good ah system to not help rmt, make it easy for inflation, isn't easy. Plus if an AH was in the game it be stagnet. we will see 1000 of items slowly selling but it would be over filled. Unlike past mmo crafting is a class. And players are leveling it. Unlike it just being on the side. I think SE will wait till the supple and demand is there. Currently From what other players are saying its just not there. Minus having to go look for it crafters are filling the markets just finding them is hard. Not attacking you and what you said is good. But is that what really going on?
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#4 Nov 07 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Excellent
**
445 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
Infact ffxi when it was jp only, never had an AH.


umm nope. AH in FFXI was introduced in the 1st of July 2002 patch. no more then two months from the release date of JP(16th of May).
Even though some of your statements sounds valid, IMO, the benefits of having an AH is way overwhelming.
And retainer search is basiclly an AH-like system with reduced function and constume more time.
I am not a "lolfanboi" of AH, but if there is a better system, why not use it?

The curent fact of the in-game economy is....the stuff is not moving!

Edited, Nov 6th 2010 11:40pm by timmyofalex
____________________________
Timfung (Alexander) 75WHM72RDM46PUP Cooking81 (retired)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1662475
#5 Nov 07 2010 at 1:51 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
ya i meant to say @ launch. on ps3 and got limited text space. stuff isn't moving due to 2 things
no one is buying a ton of ppl are making.
If you go to ffxivcore.com you will see "massive" (not really but claim are that) fail to use wards as 1 intented of new use ( using correct wards ) or just hate them. If ffxi had an AH right now it would be over filled and no one would be buying. Crafting is a class. And players are leveling. The game is full of crafted items just no one is looking or buying they are making it themselves. I played games W/o AH. and there isn't an econ issue. wards are SE way of dealing with the afk bazaars that crowded towns in ffxi. Retainers were ways player can bazaar w/o running the game. If stuff isn't moving play the players. There is not alot of demand for the supply. Or people are too into boycotting the wards they are not buying which isn't help the game any. You made a good post, I'm just trying to instill a bit of realitic thinking plus restating what SE said
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#6 Nov 07 2010 at 1:55 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
205 posts
I do agree on many of your points. But just like economics itself, nothing will every work out perfectly.

For example...crafters arn't always going to be making things at a profit. I found this out when trying to make Black Smith tools. The items needed (not even including the crystals...I'll get to huge spin crystals has given our system latter) cost almost twice as much as I would ever be able to sell a Bronze Cross-pein Hammer for. This was some weeks back when Undyed Canvas was tough to come by and a single piece of it was like finding a ton of gold.

yea prices have gone down on the Canvas bust still not enough to turn a profit on a Hammer.

This brings me to crystals. In LL I noticed a surge of players named 'fdbosud bocead' and such running around and all meeting back to just one with a bazaar up...selling tons and tons of crystals for ridiculous price! Now there is no way to prove this person(s) are gil sellers...just that they are very smart. They all check whoever is around for crystals and shards, buy them, put them on one person and jack up the price. In our current economic system...there is nothing wrong with that.

The system of player run bazaars and no AH almost encourages a team of players to get together and create a 'company' if you will and start standardizing things. The largest thing we are missing is standardization. Will the item search help? well...yes, since it will basically be a auction house.

If the item search shows all players with that item and the cost of that item...your are going to see a TON of price fluctuations from the start. It will of course help even things out...but on day one of it the time when a monopoly can rise from it will be amazing.
#7 Nov 07 2010 at 2:06 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
to those who don;t know. ffxi AH system was nothing like Aion or WoWs. you had items organized and had "last bought price" there was no search you went down lists. like weapons>> hand to hand>> do own item list till you find the item click check payment history for the "about" price.
So in reality item search will be not AH like, but more item search. Since when you select the item a icon will show where it is. Don't count your chickens well stop counting your chikens before they hatch. we don't really know HOW the item search will be.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#8 Nov 07 2010 at 2:12 AM Rating: Default
**
608 posts
AH will kill everyone's income in this games cuz loot and items are abundant undercuting will be in full effect, probly get more selling to a vendor when or if a AH comes out.

another reason is cuz people cant even sell stuff in the right wards and there buying gil cuz RMT is where the money is. that means there gonna dump all the garbage or crafted equip on the AH cuz there lazy and other dont care cuz there buying gil. happens in every mmo.

Quote:
"last bought price"

is why RMT own the AH they buy there stuff back and set the price, AH + history list is fail.


Edited, Nov 7th 2010 3:14am by mitmystria
#9 Nov 07 2010 at 3:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
HaedorDragonhelm wrote:


What is the downside of the auction house? It's well known. It's the problem of monopoly on some goods. This allows the seller to sell items at pretty much arbitrary prices.


Problem is, that's not true. Every player has the ability to craft, every player has the ability to fight, and every player has the ability to loot materials.

See, in a game where you're locked into one specific area of expertise, it's a problem.

In a game where the best equipment is lootable off mobs, it's a problem because the famers camp the mobs.

However, there is no lootable equipment in FFXIV. And materials drop off of more than one mob type. So there's nothing to camp.

And noone is locked out of any particular class or craft, so noone has to rely on others to provide their equpment unless they really want to. And, gil is plentiful just from doing leves and such, as well as from selling dropped materials and crystals.

An auction house in FFXIV is not going to be the "dreaded bringer of RMT" that SE seems to think it is.

In fact, just the opposite. There are RMT farmers and sellers in game now with no AH in sight. Make it easier for people to buy and sell their stuff immediately ( which an AH does ) and the people have no reason to bother with the farmers. Make it a pain in the *** to buy and sell (retainers and bazaars), and people start pullng out their wallets just to get what they want without the hassle.

mitmystria wrote:
AH will kill everyone's income in this games cuz loot and items are abundant undercuting will be in full effect, probly get more selling to a vendor when or if a AH comes out.

another reason is cuz people cant even sell stuff in the right wards and there buying gil cuz RMT is where the money is. that means there gonna dump all the garbage or crafted equip on the AH cuz there lazy and other dont care cuz there buying gil. happens in every mmo.

Quote:
"last bought price"

is why RMT own the AH they buy there stuff back and set the price, AH + history list is fail.


Be honest, you're not worried about the RMT. You're worried you won't find a sucker to buy that 2000gil item for 20,000gil if they can easily check how much it's really worth and aren't pressured to buy it solely because they don't want to search 50 retainers to see if there's a cheaper one.

Edited, Nov 7th 2010 4:46am by Zorvan

Edited, Nov 7th 2010 4:48am by Zorvan
____________________________



#10 Nov 07 2010 at 6:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Smiley: deadhorse

Why's there another thread on this? What's new this time?
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#11 Nov 07 2010 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
229 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
If you look @ ffxi AH it is now failing


After a game has been out over 8 years? I'm OK with that. How about the game that has no AH and is failing after two months? The fact is, most of us will not play FFXIV (or rather pay for it) until there is a working AH and some sort of delivery box system. Now you can get defensive if you like, but the fact remains. An AH is what is needed for this game to succeed and SE knows it. It's too bad they are too hard headed to do anything about it atm.
____________________________

How I mine for fish!? O.o
Solace <<<Hades>>> RIP
Vivik <<<Cerberus>>>


#12 Nov 07 2010 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
30 posts
mitmystria wrote:
AH will kill everyone's income in this games cuz loot and items are abundant undercuting will be in full effect, probly get more selling to a vendor when or if a AH comes out.

another reason is cuz people cant even sell stuff in the right wards and there buying gil cuz RMT is where the money is. that means there gonna dump all the garbage or crafted equip on the AH cuz there lazy and other dont care cuz there buying gil. happens in every mmo.

Quote:
"last bought price"

is why RMT own the AH they buy there stuff back and set the price, AH + history list is fail.


Edited, Nov 7th 2010 3:14am by mitmystria


that is stupid. I never buy anything because I don't want to spend hours searching for the things I need to buy. If there was a convenient way to buy the things I need I would spend money. There are many others like me. AH would put more money into the economy.
____________________________
#13 Nov 07 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
76 posts
I can't wait for a WoW like Auction House so I can buy out all the high lvl dyes, dumping half of them to npc vendor then resell the rest 10 times higher in AH.

After ******* up with the high end dyes market, I will move on to next item, I've already got a list of critical goods.
#14 Nov 07 2010 at 8:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
mitmystria wrote:
AH will kill everyone's income in this games cuz loot and items are abundant undercuting will be in full effect, probly get more selling to a vendor when or if a AH comes out.


Regardless of this statement just being flat-out incorrect, unless we get a major money sink in the next six weeks we'll be trading in shards and crystals soon anyway - income won't matter.

I love virtual economies, it's the primary reason I played MMOs including FFXI and FFXIV. It's something I've been watching since launch. What I see right now is a lot of players sitting on eight-figure incomes simply as a result of leveling up. That's a lot of cash to have floating around in the economy with nothing to spend it on. Crafters already need shards/crystals more than anything else, you can most likely get better deals if you start bartering for goods in shards/crystals.

Purely speculation on my part, but I'd wager that if nothing is introduced to take gil out of the economy soon, I'd say we're real close to shifting way from gil as the primary source for payments of debt.

And by the way, undercutting is a valid and completely legitimate economic response to certain factors. Please stop painting it with such a generic negative brush.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#15 Nov 07 2010 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Siulang wrote:
I can't wait for a WoW like Auction House so I can buy out all the high lvl dyes, dumping half of them to npc vendor then resell the rest 10 times higher in AH.

After @#%^ing up with the high end dyes market, I will move on to next item, I've already got a list of critical goods.


Won't work. The supply introduced from crafting dyes far exceeds the demand for them, as such you'd have to be sitting on perhaps hundreds of millions of gil to continuously buy them all out. Then, after spending most of your capital on these goods, your artificial price equilibrium is going to need to be completely out of sync in order to make back the income you already spent at a rate faster than the other sellers can relist their items.

You're also hampered by price, people simply won't pay more for an item than they think it's worth. If your per item cost of a single dye required to make up your loss from spending your capital to purchase out the market exceeds that of which the market is willing to pay, you're just throwing money away.

This is further compounded by the fact that you can only list 10 items or sets of items at a time. Purchasing a second retainer, assuming the option is there, still does not get you to the necessary slots required to compete with the thousands of other players listing items as well.

And I haven't even mentioned the market effect of players capable of producing dyes noticing the sudden increase in demand for the product and mass producing the goods, hoping to get in on a piece of the action.

But please, post more. I enjoy people like you parading out these completely baseless examples as to why an auction house system is either flawed or won't work.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#16 Nov 07 2010 at 9:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
76 posts
Whales wrote:
Siulang wrote:
I can't wait for a WoW like Auction House so I can buy out all the high lvl dyes, dumping half of them to npc vendor then resell the rest 10 times higher in AH.

After @#%^ing up with the high end dyes market, I will move on to next item, I've already got a list of critical goods.


Won't work. The supply introduced from crafting dyes far exceeds the demand for them, as such you'd have to be sitting on perhaps hundreds of millions of gil to continuously buy them all out. Then, after spending most of your capital on these goods, your artificial price equilibrium is going to need to be completely out of sync in order to make back the income you already spent at a rate faster than the other sellers can relist their items.

You're also hampered by price, people simply won't pay more for an item than they think it's worth. If your per item cost of a single dye required to make up your loss from spending your capital to purchase out the market exceeds that of which the market is willing to pay, you're just throwing money away.

This is further compounded by the fact that you can only list 10 items or sets of items at a time. Purchasing a second retainer, assuming the option is there, still does not get you to the necessary slots required to compete with the thousands of other players listing items as well.

And I haven't even mentioned the market effect of players capable of producing dyes noticing the sudden increase in demand for the product and mass producing the goods, hoping to get in on a piece of the action.

But please, post more. I enjoy people like you parading out these completely baseless examples as to why an auction house system is either flawed or won't work.


LOL, I do enjoy watching ppl making arguements based on their imaginary fact.

Do you know how many miners and botanists out there who have proper rank to harvest moss and bugs in Grade4,5 areas?
Do you know how long it takes to harvest a piece if u dont have the proper rank?
Do you know any rank30+ miners and botanist?
Do you know anyone who planned to level their miner/botanist pass rank30?

Dont answer me, answer to yourself, are you pulling fact out fm your *** or you actually know whats going on with the current market?
#17 Nov 07 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
**
421 posts
I've been thinking about the Market Wards and an Auction House and I believe with a few changes, the Market Wards could be very cool. Rather than have each ward completely seperate, why not make the Market Wards one large zone (1 per city). Keep the layout as it is.. just in the middle section where you can now teleport, make that the central hall connecting the different sections.

In this central hallway, there would be either standing NPCs or AH windows. At these you would be able to do your item searching. I imagine this would function very similar to looking through things in FFXI's AH. Here is where it gets different though. Instead of just seeing the previous prices on a list there and bidding a random amount you hope is enough to purchase the item, you would be told who was selling that item, and what section of the Market they were in. You would then have to go to these individual sellers and price check and purchase from whoever had the price that best suited you. No more bidding 100,000 for an item that you could have bought for 1 gil.

Why keep the seperate sections? To seperate the items, duh. Or course we'll still have people selling in the wrong sections, but it's not as bad now because it's eaiser to go from section to section. On top of this, keep the taxes (maybe ven increase for items in the wrong section). Say I'm a Blacksmith... I have the option of setting up in the Weapon ward and sell weapons tax free, but all my ores/nuggets/random weapon pieces, would be taxed. OR I could set up in the Ironmongers Ward (that the correct name?) and sell my materials tax free, but then be taxed on my weapons. Eventually when we have access to multiple retainers you'd be able to set up shop in different areas and specialize without worrying about excessive taxes. I assume they'd be able to seperate the tax areas similar to how they divy up the zones.

So with this, you'd be able to search for whatever items you want. You'd be able to see the price you're actually going to pay (no more blind bids). There's an incentive to move to the correct market (taxes). I'm sure there are other benifits as well as drawbacks I haven't seen. What does everyone else think?
____________________________
Ashlar Calidan, Paladin of Unicorn
Ashlar Korith, Gladiator of Trabia
"If by my death your life might be spared, then so be it."
#18 Nov 07 2010 at 11:37 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
I still think there would be too much supple for demand AH or not. And that AH will just be full of items. But to think AH will make it "faster" to get items think again. AH is failing on ffxi as no one is selling items outsude the jeuno AH. It too hard for new or restarting players to get decent gear. There will be times you will not be able to find items and need to look through the wards. I think they should have a ward for each disiple. war magic hand land. And if you need something out of that disiple just go there.

There are some good ideas on here.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#19 Nov 07 2010 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#20 Nov 08 2010 at 2:47 AM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.

Yes I can, I'm a long time ffxi player and short time WoW player. there have been times it would take weeks to find 1 weapon/armor/item i needed. Mostly because 0 was on the AH. and running around ever town looking and shouting for the item checking ever bazaar to get it. Kinda wished we had a ward in ffxi group up the afk bazaar ppl make it less laggy and can look through all bazaar in said town faster then running between the zones. Also i don't put words in my mouth. I just said it will not be faster all the time. Ans this happens to a lot of ppl both in WoW and ffxi.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#21 Nov 08 2010 at 5:08 AM Rating: Good
**
330 posts
My prediction is that due to UI lag, searching Market Wards for hours will still be quicker than using the AH ^^.
____________________________
BST75/WAR75/RDM75/THF75/SAM75/SMN75
Maat's cap acquired 31/1/2010

Cooking 96
Smithing: 92+3
Woodworking 100+3
Alchemy 99+1
Bonecraft 100
Leathercraft 74
#22 Nov 08 2010 at 5:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
SE should hire an economist and tell him "okay, design an economy that works for us. this <insert> is what we want to avoid."
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#23 Nov 08 2010 at 6:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
229 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.

Kinda wished we had a ward in ffxi group up the afk bazaar ppl make it less laggy and can look through all bazaar in said town faster then running between the zones.


We do, it's called Rolanmart on most servers.



Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:27am by ISystemXI

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:28am by ISystemXI
____________________________

How I mine for fish!? O.o
Solace <<<Hades>>> RIP
Vivik <<<Cerberus>>>


#24 Nov 08 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
685 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.


Actually, I can!

Just imagine the series of prompts:
"Select Item"
"Purchase Item"
"How many do you wish to purchase?"
"Are you sure?"
"Are you sure you're sure?"
"How much do you want to pay?"
"Really?"
"No, it's alright, it's not my gil, but there's a guy in the Wards selling for much cheaper."
"Did you mean unit price or set price?"
"He's still cheaper."
"Do you still wish to spend XX gil on Item?"
"Are you sure?"
"Are you sure you're sure?"
"You currently have no room in your inventory. Please make space and try your purchase again."



Ok, that was supposed to be funny. Maybe. I hope.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#25 Nov 08 2010 at 7:23 AM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
I dont know about your servers guys, but in Besaid we have select areas of uldah for bazaaring. People hate the wards so much that ruby road is covered with the JP trader's guild bazaars and infront of the adv guild you can find all the american ones. (uldah)

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 8:24am by MajidahSihaam
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#26 Nov 08 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Default
42 posts
ISystemXI wrote:
Irishclass777 wrote:
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.

Kinda wished we had a ward in ffxi group up the afk bazaar ppl make it less laggy and can look through all bazaar in said town faster then running between the zones.


We do, it's called Rolanmart on most servers.


And Rolanmart had all the same issues the XIV market wards have - player visibility, inability to search (you had to /check every afk bazaar), weeks of searching for hours and not finding the item you're looking for, etc.

Honestly, the only reason Rolanmart existed was because the 10% listing charge on the auction house was too much for slow selling expensive items. People didn't want to pay 10k gil to list an item on AH for 100k that would probably be returned in a few days & need to be relisted for another 10k. The auction house was pretty much universally preferred to bazaar camping for items otherwise.

As for RMT vs. market wards, we're already seeing them buy out the zombie npcs and afk bazaars to relist at higher prices, so I'm not sure what not having an AH actually accomplishes there.
#27 Nov 08 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
229 posts
Cloud7Raymaker wrote:
ISystemXI wrote:
Irishclass777 wrote:
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
There's no possible way you can spin having an auction house will make finding items slower than not having one.

Kinda wished we had a ward in ffxi group up the afk bazaar ppl make it less laggy and can look through all bazaar in said town faster then running between the zones.


We do, it's called Rolanmart on most servers.


And Rolanmart had all the same issues the XIV market wards have - player visibility, inability to search (you had to /check every afk bazaar), weeks of searching for hours and not finding the item you're looking for, etc.

Honestly, the only reason Rolanmart existed was because the 10% listing charge on the auction house was too much for slow selling expensive items. People didn't want to pay 10k gil to list an item on AH for 100k that would probably be returned in a few days & need to be relisted for another 10k. The auction house was pretty much universally preferred to bazaar camping for items otherwise.

As for RMT vs. market wards, we're already seeing them buy out the zombie npcs and afk bazaars to relist at higher prices, so I'm not sure what not having an AH actually accomplishes there.


Did you even bother to read what I quoted? I'm not defending the bazaar system. I think it sucks. My point was that there was an area on most if not all 11 servers where people gathered to bazaar items. Nothing more. I want an AH too and I think it was ridiculous for SE to even release the game without it.
____________________________

How I mine for fish!? O.o
Solace <<<Hades>>> RIP
Vivik <<<Cerberus>>>


#28 Nov 08 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
ISystemXI wrote:


We do, it's called Rolanmart on most server
Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:27am by ISystemXI

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:28am by ISystemXI

lol funny.....
I personally hate rolanmart i nearly dc trying to zone. but I'm talking like ffxivs wards a seperate zone all together. So we are not getting laggy in towns or just outside zones.
Also SE said they will add an AH in time. They are just fixing up the wards. May have one added in jan. They are still trying to design it with how the game works. Like I said in another post. It was a false rumor someone spread that stated that the market wards was to replace AH. wards were put in so we didn't have rolenmart lag up the cities.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#29 Nov 08 2010 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
AH is failing on ffxi as no one is selling items outsude the jeuno AH. It too hard for new or restarting players to get decent gear.


This is happening because it's a top-heavy game and SE never took the appropriate steps to make the system work well over a lifetime, not because there is anything inherently wrong with having an AH as opposed to this Market Wards... whatever it is. All that SE needs to do to make the AH in cities more viable is to link them with Jeuno\Whitegate, and people will be encouraged to again use those precious 7 slots to sell something other than high level items.

The AH itself isn't failing, people just don't see the use in trying to sell items to a low level population that is in the minority. It's always been an issue in XI, it's just getting more prevalent now that the game has matured to a point where most folks have finished their adventures and are moving on (to XIV in many cases).

*shrugs* - still we shouldn't use this as a reason to lobby against a meaningful trade system for a game that is in its infancy.
#30 Nov 08 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
124 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
AH is failing on ffxi as no one is selling items outsude the jeuno AH. It too hard for new or restarting players to get decent gear.


This is happening because it's a top-heavy game and SE never took the appropriate steps to make the system work well over a lifetime, not because there is anything inherently wrong with having an AH as opposed to this Market Wards... whatever it is. All that SE needs to do to make the AH in cities more viable is to link them with Jeuno\Whitegate, and people will be encouraged to again use those precious 7 slots to sell something other than high level items.

The AH itself isn't failing, people just don't see the use in trying to sell items to a low level population that is in the minority. It's always been an issue in XI, it's just getting more prevalent now that the game has matured to a point where most folks have finished their adventures and are moving on (to XIV in many cases).

*shrugs* - still we shouldn't use this as a reason to lobby against a meaningful trade system for a game that is in its infancy.


If your in a starting area, lv 1-10 gear is pretty cheap from an Npc (sometimes cheaper than on the AH), and usually you can find a few pieces that will last you till u hit up jeuno and go to qufim island for parties on the AH too in starting areas. Its sort of balanced, there isn't a huge need to sell specifically on the starting city AH's because most people don't use them for armor/weapons. Food, tools, craft mats and a few other things can be found more often in starting areas because thats really what starting areas have devolved into. Crafting hubs and homepoints for those of us who use OP warps more frequently.

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 2:47pm by Toukai
____________________________
Drg90, Blu90, Pld90, Rdm90 Smn90, Dnc90, Drk90, Mnk90, Whm77, Blm73
#31 Nov 08 2010 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
If your in a starting area, lv 1-10 gear is pretty cheap from an Npc (sometimes cheaper than on the AH), and usually you can find a few pieces that will last you till u hit up jeuno and go to qufim island for parties on the AH too in starting areas. Its sort of balanced, there isn't a huge need to sell specifically on the starting city AH's because most people don't use them for armor/weapons. Food, tools, craft mats and a few other things can be found more often in starting areas because thats really what starting areas have devolved into. Crafting hubs and homepoints for those of us who use OP warps more frequently.


It's cheap by our standards (folks who have been playing for years), but not for someone brand new starting out. A starter set of armor in any of the cities will cost 10k+ (just the basic 5 pieces), and even with FoV that's still a hefty chunk for the new player. You pretty much need a set of at least the level 10 gear to make it to qufim, and a lot of parties will kick you (certain jobs) for not having at least level 16 bone or 17 lizard at those levels, which you cannot get at NPC. That's not even counting level 14 rings or level 16 earrings, of which again, AH is your source. Forget about getting certain weapons in certain cities as well. I had to import a hammer from Basty because guess what? I guess all the WHM's are from Bastok onry.

I don't want to turn this into a whole discussion on FFXI since this isn't the forum for it, but suffice it to say I have leveled enough characters over the years to know that it would be loads easier to just link all the AH together. You really can't get everything you need from NPC.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)