Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV is actually doing great! Looking it at differently.Follow

#1 Nov 08 2010 at 12:20 AM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
Heard me out.

it was report to have a 630,000 global sales already, isn't it great? If you consider other MMORPG that isn't free, how many report 1 millions subscription on the first month.

Not only that, FFXIV had an unusually high entry point for gaming. If you consider the fact that not everyone can play FFXIV on their PC unless they upgrade, the game still have a barrier to entry until more individuals upgrade their machines.

You can not compare a PC game to console game with different release date as more report tend to do so.

When Ps3 release, we might even see 1 million global sales overall. (I don't believe sales actually reflect the amount of players as sales only account sales to retailer). Maybe China release will build it up to 2-3 millions, although i really doubt any Chinese would play Japanese MMORPG at this point.

So they made high sales, does it matter when we expect "half" of us will quit this month. It does matter! because what you have already paid them the software which mean you already paid them the cost of a normal console game cost. Now, all they need to do is make you return after given sometime and they will make you pay them on monthly their cost of developments is never high due to economic of scale.

remember, FFXIV is a game for the 400s of nvidia (well 280 too) and 5770+ radeon gaming. When the newer graphic card comes where the price of these cheap card plunder more by christmas, we might start to see more influx of new sales and players!

Let's all be positive!
#2 Nov 08 2010 at 12:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Considering the CEO said that it's unsatisfactory, and subscriptions are being canceled quickly before the free trial is even up, I don't think even SE would agree that FFXIV is doing great.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#3 Nov 08 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Excellent
*
216 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
When Ps3 release, we might even see 1 million global sales overall. (I don't believe sales actually reflect the amount of players as sales only account sales to retailer). Maybe China release will build it up to 2-3 millions, although i really doubt any Chinese would play Japanese MMORPG at this point.
You're forgetting that by the time the PS3 version comes out, WoW will have a new expansion on the market, and SWTOR will either be out, or due out soon.

While the two of those may not be going to the PS3, it will make some rather big competition on the PC side of the game.

The PC subscriptions are supposed to make up a sizable portion of subscriptions. If hordes of PC players quit before the PS3 release, by that point the number of new PC subscriptions isn't going to be very high because of the new competition. Which means XIV would sink or swim based on how well PS3 sales do.

How many PS3 users who would have bought the game now wont because of the news and reviews of the PC release? How many will avoid the game because their PC friends are no longer playing?

XIV isn't doing great. It's future is very iffy right now. The good news is that it can still recover, but that recovery is going to be largely dependent on the November and December updates. Moreso the November update, since this month marks when players will need to start with a subscription. In the game's current state, many players would agree that it isn't worth paying for.

I really hope SE gets the patch out before the 22nd, and that the patch is a miracle patch. If it's not, or if they don't get it out before the 22nd, they're going to lose subscriptions. A lot of them. And a lot of those people who leave will likely pick up the Cataclysm expansion, meaning they wont be coming back for the December update.
#4 Nov 08 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
40 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Heard me out.

it was report to have a 630,000 global sales already, isn't it great?


You mean 630,000 shipped, not sold.
____________________________
FFXIV - Rabanastre - Fisherman
FFXI - Leviathan - 75 Beastmaster /37 NIN/40 THF/40 BLU
#5 Nov 08 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
It's doing great in humbling SE so maybe we can move a little more towards the Squaresoft we all know and loved....

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game, but SE could definately use a serving of humble pie.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#6 Nov 08 2010 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
DilemmaLevi wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
Heard me out.

it was report to have a 630,000 global sales already, isn't it great?
You mean 630,000 shipped, not sold.
This. Particularly because you're using this statistic as the basis of your entire argument, and you're using it incorrectly.

By the way, right now, Bodhum struggles to get over 1.1k active players now. There are 18 servers. This page has the only sales statistics I've seen on the game, and for some reason, the Japanese market stats have gone unreported.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#7 Nov 08 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
I concur. If you simply hold the sales figure chart upside down, FFXIV is doing amazing!
____________________________


#8 Nov 08 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Bodhum currently has 821 people logged in right now. For reference, I checked Ragnarok on FFXI (LOL DIEING) and a /sea all produces... 927. There are about 13% more people playing FFXI on my server than playing FFXIV on my server. There are also 6 fewer FFXIV servers than FFXI, and Ragnarok was NOT affected by the server merges either!
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#9 Nov 08 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
80 posts
bsphil wrote:
Bodhum currently has 821 people logged in right now. For reference, I checked Ragnarok on FFXI (LOL DIEING) and a /sea all produces... 927. There are about 13% more people playing FFXI on my server than playing FFXIV on my server. There are also 6 fewer FFXIV servers than FFXI, and Ragnarok was NOT affected by the server merges either!


This doesn't really surprise me at all. Many of the people in my LS migrated over from FFXI and nearly all of them have returned. It's sorta sad that I log on to see an empty LS and an empty Ventrilo (well, not so empty in the non-FFXIV channels).
#10 Nov 08 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
Well to be fair, the XI numbers are down quite a bit though. Fewer than 700 online at NA peak time on Alex, when I remember numbers getting closer to the 1800's. My guess? The games truly are split down the middle - half the fans are still in XI, and half have moved to XIV. It sounds about right, anyway. There was a surge in XIV populations right at the start, and then some of us went back to XI.

Now we are in a sort of limbo. It's hard to say what will happen, but without a major push for one or the other, I see servers merges in the future for both games.
#11 Nov 08 2010 at 6:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,211 posts
Torrence wrote:
Well to be fair, the XI numbers are down quite a bit though. Fewer than 700 online at NA peak time on Alex, when I remember numbers getting closer to the 1800's. My guess? The games truly are split down the middle - half the fans are still in XI, and half have moved to XIV. It sounds about right, anyway. There was a surge in XIV populations right at the start, and then some of us went back to XI.

Now we are in a sort of limbo. It's hard to say what will happen, but without a major push for one or the other, I see servers merges in the future for both games.


I think SE screwed the pooch on multiple fronts and are really taking a beating because of it.

Obviously, FFXIV is terrible and SE should feel bad.

Overall morale in FFXI in dwindling despite the new mini-expansions. I blame this on 2 main reasons: First, SE hasn't put out a true expansion in a very long time and it's becoming accepted reality that SE never intends to do so again; Second, the fact that FFXIV exists at all. Together, those speak loudly to the players that SE has moved on and don't intend to put any real effort into the game anymore.

SE has a draconic monster of a customer support department. People had hoped that maybe this would only affect FFXI but sadly the whole **** thing was ported over to XIV in all its infamy.

It's hard to give them your **** money. Seriously, to anyone running a business this should be the one area you make easier than breathing.

All of these things together have painted SE as a lethargic behemoth of a company that's really only interested in your money(or is it? given the last major problem). I used to get excited just hearing about a new Squaresoft or Enix game, now it's just apathy.
____________________________
I be Ranz... the Melee White Mage. Arrrr.(As seen on Phoenix)
The friendliest Dynamis linkshell on Phoenix
My FFXI AH Info
#12 Nov 08 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
196 posts
No this game will be fine in the niche market, but it will be a very very small niche market.. like vanguard and those many other games that tanked their release.. i.e. warhammer, APb, etc..

Players are extremely unforgiving when it comes to bad releases.. word of mouth alone will annhilate this game that is the truth.. with the power of the internet nowadays.. one bad move or bad release could potentially end any games chance for redemption.. You are naive if you think the december or november updates will save this game.. They had several months to clean this game up based on beta feed backs... Those patches did generally nothing in the beta..

What makes you think they will do anything in November and December? Unless we are looking at giant content releases (new area with the same sh*t is not considered content imho... drastically improved combat system, amazing leveling content. i.e. dungeon low level raids.. bosses are content)

As far as I can tell Square Enix is screwed... PS3 versions will sink in the West.. If you think Console gamers are buying this over Gears of War 3 .. or any other fantastic 2011 titles you are really blind to the trend of console gaming in the West.. The Asian audience will have to sustain this game or Final fantasy XIV will die a very painfully slow death with diminishing numbers of players... (I can't say much about the Asian audience.. as I don't live in Asia :| )

Furthermore Square Enix is not going to die because Final Fantasy XIV failed.. Let's not forget this isn't Square Enix's only IP or only game for that matter.. Square Enix is a major brand name like Gucci, prada, armani exchange or Fossil.. they don't sink with one bad product.. They just roll with the punches and move on to bigger better things..

I am not bashing Square Enix .. I am bashing the abomination they have created.. Square Enix is an excellent developing company that have created excellent titles in the past and are still continuing to do so.. I have no doubt they will pull a major title again very soon.. but let us pray it is not an MMO :)

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:45pm by nick2412

Edited, Nov 8th 2010 7:46pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#13 Nov 08 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
*
63 posts
Quote:
Furthermore Square Enix is not going to die because Final Fantasy XIV failed.. Let's not forget this isn't Square Enix's only IP or only game for that matter.. Square Enix is a major brand name like Gucci, prada, armani exchange or Fossil.. they don't sink with one bad product.. They just roll with the punches and move on to bigger better things..

They won't die specifically because of this game, but it's just the latest in a long string of missteps using the Final Fantasy name. The games from XII to XIV have been some of the most polarizing games around. You love one, hate the next, etc. I think it's fair to say that they've burned up a large amount of slack that people were willing to give them years ago. Speaking for myself, Final Fantasy games used to be an insta-buy, and I wouldn't even bother to read reviews beforehand. Now I just don't trust the company to do right by the Final Fantasy name. It used to stand for a compelling, quality experience... and it doesn't feel that way anymore. They've lost the magic, and the series is just a way to cash a check for the company.
#14 Nov 08 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
31 posts
XIV has a chance that few mmos get and that's to be re-reviewed upon ps3 release. Though they have there work cut out for them as they have a lot of things to improve before then.

XIV really isn't doing the worst atm games have survived with far less subs and at some point XI is going to die out and a good chunk of the pop will come to XIV if its improved.




XIV may never have subs in the millions but it should live on and do about as well as XI did.


With 5 years and millions in R&D its not like SE is going to let the game flop without a fight. Especially since it has the potential to make more profits than any single player game.
#15 Nov 08 2010 at 10:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
136 posts
I don't think that the star wars mmo or the wow expansion will really eat that many of FFXIV's sales (a 1/6th at best). Its kind of like saying that assassins creed is gonna hurt FFXIV ps3 sales if they were to coming out at the same time. It happens to games like vanquish that game got swept under the radar, but an mmo's longevity really prevents that from happening. Its kind of like if in a 10 mile marathon someone sprints out of the gate and everyone thinks that thats who's gonna win... MMO's are a unique feature of gaming i think everyone needs to start creating new logical conventions and start being a little more unique with their judgments.

Can't we all just casually stroke our beards and recognize that this is an interesting moment in mmo development instead of jumping to conclusions cause we don't have patience to wait for more evidence?
#16 Nov 08 2010 at 11:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
I concur. If you simply hold the sales figure chart upside down, FFXIV is doing amazing!


hahaha, i liked that, it was clever lol
____________________________

#17 Nov 08 2010 at 11:35 PM Rating: Excellent
The OP makes an interesting point that has been overlooked:

Quote:
Not only that, FFXIV had an unusually high entry point for gaming. If you consider the fact that not everyone can play FFXIV on their PC unless they upgrade, the game still have a barrier to entry until more individuals upgrade their machines.


I personally know several people who plan to start playing as soon as this game comes out on PS3. It's probably a good thing that this barrier was in place now. However, SE will have a great second chance to usher in an influx of new subscribers come March.

And if this game ever goes to the Xbox 360, then we may get a third influx of customers, just as XI did. Not sure if that will happen though.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#18 Nov 08 2010 at 11:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
A second wave will certainly help them from where they are now, but a simultaneous release may have been much better. The PS3 wave will definitely be affected by the game's early reviews; however, if they get the game in much better shape before the release, they might be able to improve the retention of that wave and get some respectable subscriptions.

If they don't, they'll not only be screwed on the second wave, but they probably will have lost the majority of their subscribers from the PC release as well.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#19 Nov 09 2010 at 12:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
nick2412 wrote:
No this game will be fine in the niche market, but it will be a very very small niche market.. like vanguard and those many other games that tanked their release.. i.e. warhammer, APb, etc..
APB got shut down 2 months after its release.

Sidenote: APB got a higher average rating on Metacritic (58) than FFXIV (only 50).



Edited, Nov 9th 2010 12:12am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#20 Nov 09 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
Age of conan had a crappy launch and was a high rated game, the company nearly went under and fured the head honcho. Mix with the gm scandel. Yet after all that game is still being played. ffxiv will not fail. it had a rocky start since alpha, but things will improve. ffxi is proof. Just take a break. Also ps3 is huge in japan, not many japanese like using computers for gaming they mostly for work. Plus I know tons of ppl getting ffxiv on ps3 despite it flaws I'm one of them :)
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#21 Nov 09 2010 at 3:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Wait... have you actually played the game for any significant length of time?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#22 Nov 09 2010 at 4:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
6 years, 30m?+ and all they managed to do was pilfer their own players from XI who then by the majority quickly went back. To of been a genuine success it needed to get a lot of new players. All they did was create another game and end up with the same amount of subscribers split over 2 games(minority of which are on the new one), they could of just not bothered making this and be making the same profits >_>

Genuine updates to XI would of been far more profitable and more successful too, silly Square. This game won't die but it will take a **** of a ling time to recoup it's costs and due to that the level and quality of its updates will be a lot less impressive. FFXI had a rosey future right from the start, this game is looking worse and worse with every day that passes.
Quote:

Also ps3 is huge in japan, not many japanese like using computers for gaming they mostly for work. Plus I know tons of ppl getting ffxiv on ps3 despite it flaws I'm one of them :)


I think within the year this game will mostly just be JP ps3 players and very little else, mainly cause there is very little else for console MMO players in japan, even that will be a pretty unimpressive number due to the core game being pretty horrible. For anyone with any choice this game is garbage.

Edited, Nov 9th 2010 5:07am by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#23 Nov 09 2010 at 4:34 AM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
nope, i wish i could but my pc died. I got CE sitting unused. How old is this game? Whats happening in two months? Played ffxi as long as me? followed Age of conan from pre beta till now?
I played more then my fair share of mud/mmo both pay and "free". Not every mmo is a wow clone or the same. Has the same UI, basic contept. I have followed ffxi since its surpise showing @ tsg 2008. I also understand what happen to SE pre launch when it game to ffxiv. I also still play ffxi.
pro tip don;t join an mmo as a mmo venteran join as a game newbie. Play it as a new game, learn it as it your first mmo.
thats whats gone wrong community side all over the world. too many mmo and too many mmo vets joining new games not expecting bare bones at launch :) SE side they had a crappy alpha/beta.
From what vids I seen from beta with combat and landscape and character design I'll have fun. I'm easy to please as I do understand how SE is. I also go into a game as a newvbie. I also understand not all mmo are the same.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#24 Nov 09 2010 at 6:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Believe me, I have plenty of criticisms of WoW and FFXI among other games. I certainly didn't come to FFXIV wanting something similar to either of them. The fact that XIV doesn't have a lot of content isn't its main concern at the moment... its problem is that the content it does have (even just the basic stuff like killing monsters) is badly designed and badly implemented.

Coming in being easy to please will certainly help you enjoy the game. However, imagine how much you could enjoy a more fleshed-out game if you went into it being just as easy to please.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#25 Nov 09 2010 at 7:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,211 posts
Thayos wrote:
And if this game ever goes to the Xbox 360, then we may get a third influx of customers, just as XI did. Not sure if that will happen though.


XI barely runs in high population areas on that thing. You must be insane if you think XIV could do better than 2 FPS.
____________________________
I be Ranz... the Melee White Mage. Arrrr.(As seen on Phoenix)
The friendliest Dynamis linkshell on Phoenix
My FFXI AH Info
#26 Nov 09 2010 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
bsphil wrote:
Bodhum currently has 821 people logged in right now. For reference, I checked Ragnarok on FFXI (LOL DIEING) and a /sea all produces... 927. There are about 13% more people playing FFXI on my server than playing FFXIV on my server. There are also 6 fewer FFXIV servers than FFXI, and Ragnarok was NOT affected by the server merges either!


Well then the answer is obvious, FFXI is keeping people from transitioning to FFXIV. Time to pull the plug.

I'm being sarcastic but I can totally see Square Enix doing this in a desperate attempt to force people onto FFXIV. It wouldn't be the first time someone killed the goose that laid the golden egg.


If they did do that though I'd be headed to EVE Online rather than FFXIV. If they'll let FFXI wither away then they'll eventually do it to FFXIV too (and they did let FFXI wither on the vine, subscriptions were flat for 5 years until SE's left the game on auto pilot in 2008). CCP understands how to keep a game going with proper technological updates over the years rather than just allowing it to become outdated. I have no doubt that 10 years from now EVE will still be going strong with even more subscribers than it has now.



Edited, Nov 9th 2010 10:48pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#28 Nov 10 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
nick2412 wrote:

I am not bashing Square Enix .. I am bashing the abomination they have created.. Square Enix is an excellent developing company that have created excellent titles in the past and are still continuing to do so.. I have no doubt they will pull a major title again very soon.. but let us pray it is not an MMO :)


I have my doubts about the development process over at Square-Enix. The fact that FFXIV was released in the state it was is a sign of a failure in their process somewhere. These kinds of companies *should* strive for an efficient, repeatable process that produces quality products every time. Call them Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). There has to have been a failure somewhere during the course of production for FFXIV to be already on store shelves with all the bugs, defects, and lack of content. For that, I'm going to blame their grossly outdated or inefficient SOPs.

I've said it before, its like Square-Enix is running like a mom-and-pop development house. Maybe they haven't changed their SOPs since 1995, I don't know. What I do know is something is amiss at the company and so far they've just been skating by while the rest of the development world has passed them by. If it weren't for their very talented artists we'd be looking at games that not only play like crap, but LOOK like crap too. There's that, and their originally large but diminishing reputation.

Until they actually go back and overhaul their entire development process this mistake will continue to repeat until they have no reputation left, and their talented artists find somewhere else to work. When that happens, yea Square-Enix is doomed.
____________________________


#29 Nov 10 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Chri5123 wrote:
yfaithfully wrote:
I concur. If you simply hold the sales figure chart upside down, FFXIV is doing amazing!


Lol this made me laugh ^

I suppose the good thing is that with XIV there IS still time to fix the problems - ok so it would be one **** of an update but they CAN still do it and think they will need too if they hope to rescue this game.

Shame they rushed it out and in my opinion wanted to try and beat WOW to the market and made a mistake.



Actually given that we now know the game was released at the end of a fiscal period, its likely they released it early to get the box sales to count as revenue for that period. I dont think wow had much to do with it anymore.
____________________________


#30 Nov 11 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
reptiletim wrote:


I've said it before, its like Square-Enix is running like a mom-and-pop development house. Maybe they haven't changed their SOPs since 1995, I don't know. What I do know is something is amiss at the company and so far they've just been skating by while the rest of the development world has passed them by. If it weren't for their very talented artists we'd be looking at games that not only play like crap, but LOOK like crap too. There's that, and their originally large but diminishing reputation.


I think it's actually the opposite problem. SE has become a sausage factory like EA. This is what happens when you let marketing start making the design decisions.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)