Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Explain the difference between XI and XIVFollow

#1 Nov 10 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
And dont tell me that one game is complete and the other is crap. I never played anything from SE before. I dont do consoles or console ports on the PC. I avoided FF 11 thinking it was more of the same. I cant even explain what drew me to FF 14 and figure the reason why Im not having such a problem with its state is that I had NO expectations when I bought the box.
Now, Im pondering a back up plan in case 14 does wear on me. Sub to FF 11. That was SE gets some of my money and hopefully with that lil bit of revenue help further develop ff14 ( though I do understand that FF11 sub money might just stay to help develop ff 11 more)
But what can I expect in FF11 ( if i do hop over). Is is FF 14 with older art? Leavequests...grind...awesome crafting?
Please detail thank you

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 9:36am by Fleven Lock Thread: flame
#2 Nov 10 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
48 posts
XIV is 3 more than XI
____________________________
Accumulating bad luck... One day at a time
#3Sir mokatu, Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 2:56 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Seriously, What is with all of the XIV vs XI. OMGWTFPOPSICLE, XIV is horrible posts? I hate repeating myself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. These forums are a big broken record.
#4 Nov 10 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Sir mokatu wrote:
I won't repeat myself again.
Mission accomplished.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#5 Nov 10 2010 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
The only similarities between XI and XIV are the name, mob models, and being able to level all jobs/classes on one character. It really is a totally different game. FFXI has 8 years worth of content, so you'll never be able to experience it all (could be a good or bad thing depending on your view). The primary method of leveling up is through 6 member party grinding, but they've introduced many alternative leveling methods over the years. There's tons of "end-game" content starting at level 75, and the level cap is being increased to 99.

The only way you'll know for sure if you like FFXI is to try it yourself.
#6 Nov 10 2010 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
186 posts
Sir mokatu wrote:
Seriously, What is with all of the XIV vs XI. OMGWTFPOPSICLE, XIV is horrible posts? I hate repeating myself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. These forums are a big broken record.

If I was in charge of this site, I would block ALL forums until something is done about the game so that HELPFUL posts happen. FFXIV.ZAM.COM has become a cesspool of GARBAGE posts and negativity. And its not just here either.

Ok, we get it.. OK?? FFXIV sucks right now in its current state. FFXI is nothing like FFXIV. I won't repeat myself again.

Mo


You need to chill. He's asking what the difference is between the two games. No where does he say that FFXIV is horrible. He's asking someone to help him understand, which is helpful on making a decision. You are the one that needs to stop posting garbage posts and negativity.
#7 Nov 10 2010 at 3:08 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
They are completely different games that (aside from the basic races) should only be compared when they support your own arguments (and nobody elses). For example

When I say that FFXI had an inventory sort, its silly that FFXIV doesn't, thats false because they are completely different games.

When I say that this game had a horrible start, and is likely to not be sucessful long term, thats also wrong because FFXI also started rocky and lasted 8 years and made tons of money.

____________________________


#8 Nov 10 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
#9 Nov 10 2010 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
*
95 posts
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.
#10 Nov 10 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Excellent
**
401 posts
One game you need to hammer the " 1 " key and wake the wife in the middle of the night and the other.... well you don't.
____________________________




#11 Nov 10 2010 at 3:24 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


Honestly I think they all hate working for Wada, ever had a job where you really hated your boss and the quality of your work deterioated(either on purpose to get your manager in trouble or not enjoying the job anymore?)

____________________________
BANNED
#12 Nov 10 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts



Awesome..thanks HachiLihachi...since perfer american muscle cars I will stick to 14 :)


and what the **** is Sir Mokatu's problem... rage much ?

Edited, Nov 10th 2010 5:13pm by apocoluster

Edited, Nov 10th 2010 5:14pm by apocoluster
#13 Nov 10 2010 at 4:34 PM Rating: Default
*
89 posts
Is not it a bit harsh to compare American cars to a pedal-driven MB? Even not being a fan I think they are a bit better than that (not by much, though :))

Oh, I see, the website I pilfered the picture is being difficult. I've changed the url to
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gHLi5No8dSY/SRLPVWqTD0I/AAAAAAAABZg/PZEJxBIB4zU/s400/mercedez-benz-childrens-car-SLK-AMG.jpg

Edited, Nov 10th 2010 5:38pm by HachiLihachi
#14 Nov 10 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
***
2,081 posts
The major difference for me between the two was that FFXI had a magical feeling from the start. I loved simply logging into the game and being a part of the world. The community was friendly, helpful, and in general good fun. I haven't been able to find that same types of feelings in FFXIV. It was the intangibles, much like any culture, that made it great. FFXIV, from my perspective, seems to be lacking in this department.
____________________________


#15Sir mokatu, Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 5:48 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Once again sub-defaulted for telling the truth. You're right. I must be so freaking dillusional here. Go ahead. Have a ********* with all of the other haters, and continue to hate on people who like the game. There is no balance or nothing here. This section of the ZAM site has become a wasteland of negativity.
#16 Nov 10 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Cat race doesn't have darkened noses.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#17 Nov 10 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Almalexia wrote:
Cat race doesn't have darkened noses.

This is the big one.

Aside from that the major difference to me is that in FFXI you had a clear direction. You'd level through 6-man parties, efficiency was desirable, the best gear was easy to identify and tough to afford because leveling up (partying) usually cost more money than the drops brought in. Whatever you were doing, the goal and the method to reach it was always well defined.

In FFXIV we don't really know what we're supposed to be doing (I don't think SE does, either). Guildleves stop being a viable way to gain ranks as you get further into the game. Nobody seems to yet know what mobs are suitable for parties of what level and what size, so people just seek out the fatties that take the longest to kill and pile on as many players possible. Nobody cares about your gear or how you play, so you can get away with anything. Aside from leveling battle and crafting disciplines, there aren't really any goals. There is no end game or any kind of milestones (the story quests are nice but don't require anything more than the ability to run between NPCs) so you just kind of grind on.

Edited, Nov 10th 2010 7:02pm by Omena
____________________________
#18 Nov 10 2010 at 9:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
109 posts
Quote:
Once again sub-defaulted for telling the truth. You're right. I must be so freaking dillusional here. Go ahead. Have a ********* with all of the other haters, and continue to hate on people who like the game. There is no balance or nothing here. This section of the ZAM site has become a wasteland of negativity.

I'm tired of it. Guess I'll leave MMOs altogehter because you know what? Majority of the people who play them SUCK SO HARD than compared to me.

Mo


Maybe if you read the OP, you'd understand why you're getting sub-defaulted.

He said he's enjoying XIV, but wants a back up plan in case he gets tired of it. And he's asking if XI is a similar game with dated graphics.

The answer to that question is no. The races are the same. That's about it. The battle and job systems are completely different, as is the crafting. They are two very, very different games, and the only way you'll know if you enjoy XI is if you try it out. I think you can get everything up to the Wings of the Goddess expansion for like, $10 on Steam, so it's not really a risky investment.

Edited, Nov 10th 2010 10:03pm by Ruinaru
____________________________
-Ruinaru-Tarutaru-
-Bastok-Rank 7-
-Carbuncle-
-THF75/BLU65-
Maat Mashed: 6:03 pm EST 2/15/07

-Forofor-Tarutaru-
-San d'Oria-Rank 5-
-Shiva-
-BLU61/THF95/WAR50/NIN50/DNC50/RNG50-
#19 Nov 10 2010 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
124 posts
XI is 8 years of added content, bug fixes and what not.
So techncially its kind of a XIV w/ older graphics. Leve quests originated in XI w/ the field manuals. There are like 3 Major expansions (you can get all for 15$ i think in 1 pack) and a bunch of smaller 10$ scenarios which have some really interesting little missions and stories, with A rare/ex piece of gear @ the end you can augment. Although those extra scenarios are completely optional.

The grind isn't as bad as XIV, although its a much more party focused game. So if you got a few friends u can get to 75 pretty easilly. even if ur low manning field manuals (the leve quests basically) you can get buffs from said manuals, and redo them once every game day. Eases up the solo/small group play, and is much more class focused. Theres still problems w/ XI, but no game is perfect. So i would suggest checking it out, its only 15$ and see if u like it.
____________________________
Drg90, Blu90, Pld90, Rdm90 Smn90, Dnc90, Drk90, Mnk90, Whm77, Blm73
#20Sir mokatu, Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 10:36 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Ooh oooh!!! Sub default me again!!
#21 Nov 10 2010 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Tenkuro wrote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


This game will be a 100X better by December and 100 more times better by March, what I'd be hoping for is a player base by then. If this game manages to live long enough, it'll be a much improved version of FFXI, depending on how they alter party play, whether or not they make it more accessible and what kind of content they add (CONTENT!!!!!!!! how do you release a game with almost nothing to do??). The largest problem that FFXIV has, aside from content, is the fact that it has no identity. While party play was "inaccessible", at least FFXI had an identity behind it and people loved that aspect of the game otherwise they wouldn't have played it, and it worked considering there was over 1 million subs in FFXI (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the game lived on for 8 years and is still going...FFXIV kind of falls in between a WoW free for all type of game (if that even makes any sense) and an FFXI (team deathmatch - sorry i got my CoD Black Ops fix last night and its drilled into my head now :P) and so it doesn't even know what it wants to be. I would've much preferred this game be completely party oriented, imo it would've been automatically much better. But....content, content, content!!! please SE, lots and lots of content!
____________________________
MUTED
#22 Nov 10 2010 at 10:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Tenkuro wrote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


This game will be a 100X better by December and 100 more times better by March, what I'd be hoping for is a player base by then. If this game manages to live long enough, it'll be a much improved version of FFXI, depending on how they alter party play, whether or not they make it more accessible and what kind of content they add (CONTENT!!!!!!!! how do you release a game with almost nothing to do??). The largest problem that FFXIV has, aside from content, is the fact that it has no identity. While party play was "inaccessible", at least FFXI had an identity behind it and people loved that aspect of the game otherwise they wouldn't have played it, and it worked considering there was over 1 million subs in FFXI (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the game lived on for 8 years and is still going...FFXIV kind of falls in between a WoW free for all type of game (if that even makes any sense) and an FFXI (team deathmatch - sorry i got my CoD Black Ops fix last night and its drilled into my head now :P) and so it doesn't even know what it wants to be. I would've much preferred this game be completely party oriented, imo it would've been automatically much better. But....content, content, content!!! please SE, lots and lots of content!


I loled.. 100x better by December.. please stop being delusional... the game hardly got content down in the several god knows how many months it was in beta... and here you are expecting this game to get be monstrously better in like a month? Get real please..


Edited, Nov 11th 2010 12:05am by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#23 Nov 10 2010 at 11:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
nick2412 wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
Tenkuro wrote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


This game will be a 100X better by December and 100 more times better by March, what I'd be hoping for is a player base by then. If this game manages to live long enough, it'll be a much improved version of FFXI, depending on how they alter party play, whether or not they make it more accessible and what kind of content they add (CONTENT!!!!!!!! how do you release a game with almost nothing to do??). The largest problem that FFXIV has, aside from content, is the fact that it has no identity. While party play was "inaccessible", at least FFXI had an identity behind it and people loved that aspect of the game otherwise they wouldn't have played it, and it worked considering there was over 1 million subs in FFXI (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the game lived on for 8 years and is still going...FFXIV kind of falls in between a WoW free for all type of game (if that even makes any sense) and an FFXI (team deathmatch - sorry i got my CoD Black Ops fix last night and its drilled into my head now :P) and so it doesn't even know what it wants to be. I would've much preferred this game be completely party oriented, imo it would've been automatically much better. But....content, content, content!!! please SE, lots and lots of content!


I loled.. 100x better by December.. please stop being delusional... the game hardly got content down in the several god knows how many months it was in beta... and here you are expecting this game to get be monstrously better in like a month? Get real please..


How about reading the entire post? and you get real, how much does it really take for FFXIV to be a 100X better? yea...not much. Now go waste your life on something else you good for nothing hoodlum.
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Nov 10 2010 at 11:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Tenkuro wrote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


This game will be a 100X better by December and 100 more times better by March, what I'd be hoping for is a player base by then. If this game manages to live long enough, it'll be a much improved version of FFXI, depending on how they alter party play, whether or not they make it more accessible and what kind of content they add (CONTENT!!!!!!!! how do you release a game with almost nothing to do??). The largest problem that FFXIV has, aside from content, is the fact that it has no identity. While party play was "inaccessible", at least FFXI had an identity behind it and people loved that aspect of the game otherwise they wouldn't have played it, and it worked considering there was over 1 million subs in FFXI (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the game lived on for 8 years and is still going...FFXIV kind of falls in between a WoW free for all type of game (if that even makes any sense) and an FFXI (team deathmatch - sorry i got my CoD Black Ops fix last night and its drilled into my head now :P) and so it doesn't even know what it wants to be. I would've much preferred this game be completely party oriented, imo it would've been automatically much better. But....content, content, content!!! please SE, lots and lots of content!


im with you on this, right now the game needs 2 things, which pretty much sums up why people are hating so much

1) fixes on basic things(auction house, or an easier way to search wards, the 2nd of which is coming, fast travel, easier anima management, etc etc) basicaly, alot of things we know are coming
2) Direction, right now, there isnt a real goal for the long term. granted we dont need one this early on because well....how many people are actualy there. this isnt wow where you can cap in 2 weeks, or in some where you have a full server of level capped people 2 days after release. by the time a decent ammount of people get up there, they will need an activity and more, and this is the cirection people need to see. Im sure we will see it soon and it will make a huge difference.
____________________________


#25nick2412, Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 11:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Are you that densed? Content isn't going to boost this game enjoyability by 100x ... The entire game is flawed down to the very freakin combat system.. it just outright sucks.. moving with wasd keys makes very little sense as the delay from the server to your client causes the monster to hit regardless of where you are.. The moment you stop moving to perform your attack.. the monster would've already caught up to you and hit you again... So basically this is your generic spam 1 2 3 game.. how the **** are they going to fix that? Oh that;s right they can't..
#26 Nov 11 2010 at 4:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
nick2412 wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
nick2412 wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
Tenkuro wrote:
Am I the only one that sees the real problem? If you actually look at the credits, there are many people on the FFXIV team that was on the FFXI team. It took them 8 years to get FFXI right. So did they throw all that knowledge in the garbage? Yes, it's a completely different game, but every MMO have the standards in design. You can't just change certain features just for the sake of change. *PRAYS* for this game to be 100x better by Dec 30th patch.


This game will be a 100X better by December and 100 more times better by March, what I'd be hoping for is a player base by then. If this game manages to live long enough, it'll be a much improved version of FFXI, depending on how they alter party play, whether or not they make it more accessible and what kind of content they add (CONTENT!!!!!!!! how do you release a game with almost nothing to do??). The largest problem that FFXIV has, aside from content, is the fact that it has no identity. While party play was "inaccessible", at least FFXI had an identity behind it and people loved that aspect of the game otherwise they wouldn't have played it, and it worked considering there was over 1 million subs in FFXI (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the game lived on for 8 years and is still going...FFXIV kind of falls in between a WoW free for all type of game (if that even makes any sense) and an FFXI (team deathmatch - sorry i got my CoD Black Ops fix last night and its drilled into my head now :P) and so it doesn't even know what it wants to be. I would've much preferred this game be completely party oriented, imo it would've been automatically much better. But....content, content, content!!! please SE, lots and lots of content!


I loled.. 100x better by December.. please stop being delusional... the game hardly got content down in the several god knows how many months it was in beta... and here you are expecting this game to get be monstrously better in like a month? Get real please..


How about reading the entire post? and you get real, how much does it really take for FFXIV to be a 100X better? yea...not much. Now go waste your life on something else you good for nothing hoodlum.


Are you that densed? Content isn't going to boost this game enjoyability by 100x ... The entire game is flawed down to the very freakin combat system.. it just outright sucks.. moving with wasd keys makes very little sense as the delay from the server to your client causes the monster to hit regardless of where you are.. The moment you stop moving to perform your attack.. the monster would've already caught up to you and hit you again... So basically this is your generic spam 1 2 3 game.. how the **** are they going to fix that? Oh that;s right they can't..

How exactly are they going to implement content? The entire game freakin revolves around the stupid guildleve system.. what are they going to do remove the entire guildleve system.. add entire new sets of npc's for side quests to boost the amount of lore in the game? What are you high? Developing non crappy/generic dialogue alone could take MONTHS.. How long does it take you to write an awesome english paper? Several weeks? Writing pages of a good dialogue takes twice as long..

Oh yeah and adding new areas are not content.. It's like saying World of Warcraft had created a giant green field of grass and called that content.. New monsters are not content... that is fluff and just reskinned crap for you to grind on... What is content? Quests, lore, dungeon, new stunning game features such as.. Airships, chocobo, warpgates etc, classes, skills// stuff that effect gameplay and not just to satisfy your visuals.. that is content...

Believing they can implement any of this by December... is just ludicrous..


Again if you read the entire post instead of running your mouth like a dumbass, you'd know i was talking about March and not December. I don't know what you're fighting with me over, lol, I quit the game a week in...but i'm not the dense one here, you are for completely writing the game off. Out of curiosity why spend so much time here? go waste your life elsewhere and leave these poor people be.
____________________________
MUTED
#27 Nov 11 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
45 posts
I just read the future patch notes for NOV/DEC...gotta say im not worried about checking out FF 11 anymore :)

I dont know..after a decade of mmo after mmo...I belive ive found home :) but I need to wait a bit for the contractor to finish it..but meh..im tired of game hopping
#28 Nov 11 2010 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
apocoluster wrote:
I dont know..after a decade of mmo after mmo...I belive ive found home :)



I don't know why... maybe because I'm older, but this is the same way I feel despite all it's problems. I think I'm in for the long haul.

Brandon
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)