Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Biggest Video Game Flops of 2010Follow

#1 Nov 10 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
315 posts
I went to yahoo and saw this on the front page:

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/photos/178-biggest-game-flops-of-2010/1

Quote:
FINAL FANTASY XIV -- It might be one of the strongest, most beloved names in gaming, but when Final Fantasy goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Online role-playing game Final Fantasy XIV was pretty much a disaster, getting slammed by critics for its bad interface, boring quests and broken mechanics.


If it has been posted already oh well move on.
#2 Nov 10 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!
#3 Nov 10 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
*
164 posts
Here read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

here's some highlights for ya:

APB's release was met with some criticism due to a review embargo, planned to last until a week after release.

Former APB staff spoke to the press about the development process, including a lack of management focus and desire to ignore negative comments from beta-testers, and the substandard quality of gameplay including poor driving and shooting mechanics

See any similarities yet?

#4 Nov 10 2010 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
80 posts
It's sort of funny how many critics are throwing an endless stream of bad reviews and whatnot at SE for this game. Admittedly it's well deserved but the reason why APB wasn't on that list is probably because it's an unknown game. In contrast, the Final Fantasy name is an established juggernaut of a franchise that pretty much every gamer has heard of.

edit: Not to mention the tons of bad reviews on top of word of mouth (e.g. those that have bought and experienced the game on PC telling their console friends to avoid FFXIV at all costs) will obviously effect the PS3 launch sales.


Edited, Nov 11th 2010 3:31pm by Numnaydar
#5 Nov 10 2010 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
107 posts
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.
#6 Nov 10 2010 at 8:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
165 posts
OMG.. now is even in yahoo... and bristol palin in the semi finals for DWTS... Uggghhh... I'm out to see some movies... lol
____________________________
"Make something idiot proof... someone will create a better idiot"
#7 Nov 11 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
You guys are missing my point. How can an MMO that was only online for a month not make a list of Biggest Video Game Flops of 2010, but Iron Man does? I mean, how many of you had heard of all of those games on the list?
#8 Nov 11 2010 at 2:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.


Shrug, the game's already been online longer than APB and I'd imagine sold way more units.
#9 Nov 11 2010 at 2:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I doubt the guy had even heard of APB.
____________________________


#10 Nov 11 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,614 posts
Seems they're talking critical flops rather than financial. You can't really call FFXIV a financial flop until we see what happens to subscriber numbers once the monthly fee kicks in.

But yeah, omitting APB is just baffling in either case. It may well have been the biggest flop in video game history. We're talking about $100 million in development costs, plus god knows how much for marketing and distribution, straight down the toilet. And it sucked. And it happened about a month ago.

How do you overlook that?
#11 Nov 11 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
81 posts
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"
____________________________


#12 Nov 11 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I had never even heard of APB (or Realtime Worlds for that matter) until people in this forum started mentioning it.

You know, this is what will sink FFXIV - ghosts from the past. XI long suffered a stigma, and despite the fact that the game is incredibly friendly now and packed full of solo and group content, the populations are dwindling and there just isn't any influx of new subs. Part of the reason is age, yes, but most of the reason is once people got that initial taste of "ugh", they never went back. It doesn't matter that the initial reasons people left no longer exist - folks found other games to play and have no need to return to something they didn't like just to "be a good sport" and give it a second chance.

I'm afraid that XIV will suffer the same fate with sites still trumpeting its failure - people won't even care about the Ps3 reviews because of the bulk of MMO'ers are on PC and all but the truest of FF fans moved on quickly. In fact, I would go so far as to say this was the worst thing SE could have done, and they should have just slapped together another add-on scenario to XI or released a small xpac to XIII if they really needed to beef up the 2010 numbers.
#13 Nov 11 2010 at 2:32 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
Well I tihnk APB wasn't there because no one gave 2 ***** about it from jump street. I don't know anyone who thought APB would be a very successful game.

FFXIV would be the bigger "flop" because it had such high expectations, Wada saying things like it will overtake WoW. Then it gets released and becomes a LOLfest.
#14 Nov 11 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
205 posts
I'm a bit amazed to that APB is not on the list. Its like a Historic Flop if anything else.

But I guess since this is on Yahoo it has mostly games that 'everyone has heard of' sort of content (though I was sort of going "what's power gig?" )
#15 Nov 11 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.


Metacritic unfortunately can no longer be trusted. And it has nothing to do with the score of XIV. The problem is the internet has become this giant place of "so and so said game x is crap" a few threads later a person who has read that phrase from a few people decides that it's their opinion as well... even if they've never even played the game. So any popular title with even the smallest amount of criticism will see the Meta score affected UNLESS the game is so amazing that tons of people rate it.

I find it a valuable source to get ideas about a title I'm interested in, but just like IMDB or Rottentomatos for movies... If in doubt I'll more than likely attempt to experience the product on my own. Look how many people on Amazon give games 5 or 1 star ratings months before a title is released, on speculation or hype alone.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#16 Nov 11 2010 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
440 posts
Why APB wasn't included is beyond me. I had a bit of fun with it, but it was mostly uninspiring. Force Unleashed was disappointingly short like they mentioned. Alan Wake really was a good game, but I'd rather play RDR.

But to everyone saying FFXIV wasn't a flop, how can you say that? At it's core it is broken and incomplete; littered with bugs, glitches, inconveniences, and NO REAL CONTENT! SE is scrambling to save face and recoup from unavoidable future loses by changing and "improving" nearly every aspect of the game.

The way I see it is: FFXIV was and is a flop. FFXIV 2.0 may have some success, but only time will tell.
#17 Nov 11 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
534 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Well I tihnk APB wasn't there because no one gave 2 sh*ts about it from jump street. I don't know anyone who thought APB would be a very successful game.

FFXIV would be the bigger "flop" because it had such high expectations, Wada saying things like it will overtake WoW. Then it gets released and becomes a LOLfest.


This?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada

He sure was smoking something good that day. If FF corrects itself...he better not try to take any credit.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#18 Nov 11 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Never heard of APB but the list doesnt really have to be totally accurate, the fact that FFXIV is a failure is enough to earn the title. I mean the devs are apologising.. lol This is Square apologising to customers and investors, thats like....unheard of for that arrogant bunch so you know its really bad.
____________________________
BANNED
#19 Nov 11 2010 at 3:29 PM Rating: Excellent
**
472 posts
This thread makes me cry on the inside and laugh on the outside.

Maybe APB wasn't included because everyone abbreviated the name, so most people had no idea what the game is? I was talking to some FPS gamer fanatics a while back and I asked them what their favorite games are. I was presented with a list of acronyms and had very little clue what they were talking about. The list was something like this:

APB
MOA
MW2
GOW3
FNV
GTAIV
COD
DOD
JC2
CSS
OFDR

After the conversation I started to wonder if all of the good games had passed me by because I didn't know what the acronyms stood for. And yes, this is the fist time that I have heard of APB.
#20 Nov 11 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I'm not saying XIV doesn't belong on the list, I just question the rest of the list without APB on it because it was seriously a massive, massive flop considering the manpower and money that went into it.
#21 Nov 11 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Excellent
**
327 posts
Looks like APB might not be dead yet ...>>> http://www.1up.com/news/apb-bought-free-to-play-company-k2
____________________________



#22 Nov 11 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
I think it is as simple as comparing and Indie film(APB) vs a Major Motion Picture(FFXIV). APB was rushed out the door because they were running out of money and the game itself lacked identity. It spread itself out to far in what it wanted to accomplish and in turn it lacked quality in most every aspect. FF was released early because SE wanted to..not because they had to. It had been hyped up like any big game and it failed to deliver. Which makes it a tougher pill to swallow IMO.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#23 Nov 11 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
***
1,755 posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, for every video game blockbuster, there's a straight up bust. Whether due to bad reviews, bad timing or just plain bad luck, the following high-profile titles failed to live up to the hype.


Note the criteria FFXIV meets the last part perfectly man it was thought to be a game changer the MMO of the future and what we got was a game that can't rival its predecessor in it's current state or near future...
____________________________
....::: All Jobs 99 but GEO and RUN :::....
Genbu [O] Suzaku [O] Seiryu [O] Byakko [O] Kirin [O] In Loving Memory of Kirin RIP 3/6/05
xXIEOSIXx Forums on Shiva



#24 Nov 11 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,145 posts
Pikko wrote:
I'm not saying XIV doesn't belong on the list, I just question the rest of the list without APB on it because it was seriously a massive, massive flop considering the manpower and money that went into it.
I saw the list earlier and was thinking how it seems the only reason the list exists was to make a stab at FFXIV. I don't think anything else on that list is even remotely as much of a let down as FFXIV was/is, but then I didn't care about those other games. Maybe a ton of other people did.
#25 Nov 11 2010 at 4:25 PM Rating: Default
*
111 posts
How is XIV the only mmo on the list, Ouch SE that must sting. Thats for taking my money and giving me the shaft fookers.
#26 Nov 11 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
691 posts
Also of note: FFXIV is the only game on that list that has not released outside of PC YET, making the list title a lie.

Video games= Console, PC Games= Computer (by technical definitions, anyways.)


The list should be "biggest gaming disappointments" instead of "video game flops." Considering we are also in perpetual free trial (beta with saved progress) at the moment, the list is also counting FFXIV as fully developed, which to be honest, it is not even close to until the update hits. The update notes pretty much say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the game isn't even fully released yet, as they are adding in an entirely new UI option and tons of quests.

In short, they should not have put FFXIV on the list, as no one has even paid a subscription fee yet. If it remains in the red for all of 2010, then it deserves to be labeled number 10 PC flop of 2010. There's been many, many worse flops this year.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 4:31pm by Uryuu
#27 Nov 11 2010 at 4:35 PM Rating: Decent
*
111 posts
Did you get your game for free? If you did then i see your point. If you did not then guess what they got you admit. You have been bent over by wada,and still love taking it
#28 Nov 11 2010 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
196 posts
fallout386 wrote:
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"


Maybe because Mass effect 2 was an rpg fool... You role played a hero from start to finish... You chose his path.. you let others die while others live.. You are using the term grind here very loosely here.. If shooting crap is a grind, then every fps in creation is a grind..

Mass effect 2 was an excellent game with a very emotional and great story.. original? Perhaps not, but it is told so well and smoothly that professional reviewers and bioware fanboys such as myself can't hate it... The dialogue was decent.. lots of the npc's had quality voice acting.. gameplay was astoundingly smooth, I feel satisfied when I completely steam roll entire enemy forces..

It may not be a game for you, but saying it doesn't deserve the praise it got .. is nothing short of an insult.. to a great I.P. and series...

I hope you're not playing FFXIV .. because if you hated ME2, your bar for a good game would be pretty high.. FFXIV is way below ME2... I don't think my logic is off... Unless you are backwards like Wada.. then I am wrong .. way wrong..

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:45pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#29 Nov 11 2010 at 4:50 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
fallout386 wrote:
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"


If square applied the formula for a great single player game as the basis for an MMO then yes, they would probably be slammed, because after the first month or so they'd run out of content and... oh wait, they ran out of content before the game even came out. That's a big problem.

In any case, Mass Effect 2 had an interesting story with interesting characters and interesting choices, as well as interesting combat and an interface that I didn't have to fight with. It may not be high art, but it's a lot of fun to play.

If FFXIV were as fun and interesting to play, month after month, it would be on its way to being the most successful MMO of all time.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:51pm by KarlHungis
#30 Nov 11 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Uryuu wrote:

Video games= Console, PC Games= Computer (by technical definitions, anyways.)


No, not really. PC gaming is one aspect of video games. So are hand helds, consoles, and arcade games.
#31 Nov 11 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Pikko wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.


Shrug, the game's already been online longer than APB and I'd imagine sold way more units.
ONLY because SE is a massive company that has the resources to keep a game as bad as FFXIV on life support while they try to make it suck less. Realtime Worlds (developer of APB) is an indie developer that just didn't have the money to keep it going. They've literally only made one other game, though it sold decently.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#32 Nov 11 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
107 posts
bsphil wrote:
Pikko wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.


Shrug, the game's already been online longer than APB and I'd imagine sold way more units.
ONLY because SE is a massive company that has the resources to keep a game as bad as FFXIV on life support while they try to make it suck less. Realtime Worlds (developer of APB) is an indie developer that just didn't have the money to keep it going. They've literally only made one other game, though it sold decently.


Exactly.

Many MANY indie games fail on a regular basis. We never hear of them because our attention is focused on the AAA games/series. APB's biggest claim to fame was how fast it tanked; in the greater scheme of the gaming world it barely made a blip.

On the other hand, I doubt any gaming enthusiast (fan or otherwise) isn't aware when a FF game is looming. FFXIV broke this rule, not only did many not know of it's release (terrible marketing) but it tanked harder than any game in the series past.

This is why the article picks out FFXIV over APB (aside from the fact that APB technically WAS a better game than XIV on release considering both critical and user opinion).
#33 Nov 11 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Once again, that's not my point. Let's take FFXIV out of the picture and just assume it has a standing reservation of the king of all 2010 flops and then look at the rest of the list.

How does APB not fall into it?

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 4:48pm by Pikko
#34 Nov 11 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
I'm gonna go with 'he had to chose 10' and these are the ones he went with. Maybe if he were to chose 15 APB would have came in at #11.

Or mebbe the guy was an APB fan and couldn't bring himself to put it on the list.
*shrug*

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 9:58pm by KristoFurwalken
#35 Nov 11 2010 at 11:43 PM Rating: Good
I had heard of every game on that list...except APB, that's probably why it doesn't fall on that list. Reading a few other posts, other people seem to be on the same page.
____________________________

#36 Nov 11 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
fallout386 wrote:
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"


Did you play mass effect 2? no? ok stfu!

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 12:44am by Sethern79
#37 Nov 12 2010 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Take these lists from yahoo with a b ig grain of salt

they are all BS, you should see some of the "best of" games they list, the list is 10 times worse even then the "worst of" lists they put out.
____________________________


#38 Nov 12 2010 at 1:55 AM Rating: Decent
*
156 posts
fallout386 wrote:
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"




ya but your forgetting something, memorable characters, good character custimization, nifty abilitys, sweet guns, oh and ya .... fun
____________________________
KitsurubamiSouzahara wrote:
This is all just a fanboy civil war. Some are hurt that SE gave them such a crap game, the others are hurt that anyone would call it crap.
#39 Nov 12 2010 at 2:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
I can think of a few other games that belong there, XIV is no where near a biggest flop of 2010 for me.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#40 Nov 12 2010 at 2:26 AM Rating: Default
***
1,408 posts
BriktheImmortal wrote:
fallout386 wrote:
I like how everyone keeps praising Mass Effect 2 as the epitomy of RPGs when it was just a plain dungeon grind. If square applied same formula ME2 used it would get slammed by all the gaming site reviews. Lets look at the "Winning" ME2 formula shall we:

1. Make a central location where you will receive your next quest.
2. Make a generic dungeon, litter it with 500 mobs to kill and then place a "Boss" to kill at the end of it.
3. Make the player port to these generic dungeons to grind mobs for an hour or two and kill boss. Return to central quest receiving location.
4. Repeat step three another 9-10 times.
5. Repeat step three one last time but this time its the 'last' dungeon! End Game.
6. Collect we are awesome of the year award and how much more improved this is over the original ME formula!

Afternote: Add some uninspired NPC dialog here and there and character interaction with player so we can slap an RPG title on it instead of 3rd person shooter. Otherwise will need to rename to "Medal of Honor Call of Duty Mass Effect 2"




ya but your forgetting something, memorable characters, good character custimization, nifty abilitys, sweet guns, oh and ya .... fun



Mass Effect 2 didnt feel like a grind though, I went througth the first one about 3 times, the 3rd time to use the saved file. It wasnt till towards the end it felt a grind but because it keeps you going with the story line and decent voices you can't complain. Mass Effect 2 to me felt no where near the word "Grind" to me.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#41 Nov 12 2010 at 5:34 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I had heard of every game on that list...except APB, that's probably why it doesn't fall on that list. Reading a few other posts, other people seem to be on the same page.


The budget for APB is known to be in excess of 50 million dollars, and Real Time Worlds supposedly went through close to 100 million dollars while developing APB. The only reason it's cited at the lower number is because a lot of those development costs were supposed for shared technology between APB and other titles that RTW was developing.

Even among MMOs, that makes APB one of the 10 most expensive to date, which if any thing makes it even MORE remarkable that so few people knew about it.

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 6:40am by KarlHungis
#42 Nov 12 2010 at 5:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
42 posts
Pikko wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
Pikko wrote:
LOL, APB wasn't included. Ok then!


APB metacritic = 58 (user score 57)
FFXIV metacritic = 50 (user score 37)

Yep, FFXIV flopped harder.


Shrug, the game's already been online longer than APB and I'd imagine sold way more units.


There's a blog called 'How APB Failed' or ot that effect written by a manager at APB whom states 1 million ocpies sold. FFXIV has shipped, not sold, 620k world wide. Take that for what you will.
#43 Nov 12 2010 at 7:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Metacritic unfortunately can no longer be trusted. And it has nothing to do with the score of XIV. The problem is the internet has become this giant place of "so and so said game x is crap" a few threads later a person who has read that phrase from a few people decides that it's their opinion as well... even if they've never even played the game. So any popular title with even the smallest amount of criticism will see the Meta score affected UNLESS the game is so amazing that tons of people rate it.

I find it a valuable source to get ideas about a title I'm interested in, but just like IMDB or Rottentomatos for movies... If in doubt I'll more than likely attempt to experience the product on my own. Look how many people on Amazon give games 5 or 1 star ratings months before a title is released, on speculation or hype alone.


There may be a better conglomerate source, but I usually use the GameFAQs user ratings. There are typically hundreds of ratings from people who actually played the game, rather than from a few critics who are totally biased. Of course, it's not as viable in the long term for an MMO because things change, but generally it's pretty good. For example, XIV got a 5.7 from the players, which is slightly better than the 5.0 from GameRankings (which is basically GameFAQs version of Metacritic), but some times the differences are huge. The best thing about it, is you can click below the score and get a breakdown of the votes:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/960613-final-fantasy-xiv-online/mygames

What's great about that, is you see that ~21% gave the game a 1, so you can dismiss them as haters, and ~19% gave the game a 10, so you can dismiss them as fanboys. In between that you see a lot of mixed ratings. It's a kind of extreme example... usually you'll see a pretty normal curve, and then 5-10% will rate the game at a 1, and you'll know that you can ignore those votes. Basically, when someone is biased against the game, they're going to give it a 1. A 2, 3, or 4 are awful scores, but people who vote those scores are generally at least being honest and giving it a little more thought than "FAIL 1/10".
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#44 Nov 12 2010 at 9:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
270 posts
Parsalyn wrote:
This thread makes me cry on the inside and laugh on the outside.

Maybe APB wasn't included because everyone abbreviated the name, so most people had no idea what the game is? I was talking to some FPS gamer fanatics a while back and I asked them what their favorite games are. I was presented with a list of acronyms and had very little clue what they were talking about. The list was something like this:

APB
MOA
MW2
GOW3
FNV
GTAIV
COD
DOD
JC2
CSS
OFDR

After the conversation I started to wonder if all of the good games had passed me by because I didn't know what the acronyms stood for. And yes, this is the fist time that I have heard of APB.

^ I'm with you

abbreviations only work with games that have presence or sequels of popular games. wont be long before someone releases a game just to have the abbreviation LOL or OMG... oh wait THATS ALREADY DONE? geez this has gone mad >>;
____________________________
Refreshed ¦ Reborn
Shori Ohrensztein ¦ Ragnarok ¦ ACN
Reebie Baramnesra ¦ Midgardsomr ¦ MRD
#45 Nov 12 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
You know, I missed that interview where Wada called this a serious competitor to WoW. In fact, when everyone kept mentioning it, I thought they were just blowing smoke because the interview I remembered was them stating they weren't trying to compete with WoW at all. Thanks for the link.

Reading through that interview, it almost looks like their plan was always a subscription fee + microstransactions for items. I mean, that's how I am reading it.

Quote:
“The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.


Quote:
“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game.


I think they misunderstand what people like about the micro-transaction model - it's not typically combined with a monthly fee model.....

I know this article was a year ago and we haven't seen any of these micro-transaction items yet, but just wow on their plan of charging monthly fee for 1 char only, 3 bucks for extra chars, a buck each for extra retainers, AND plans for microtransactions... On top of the inevitable x-pacs\add-on scenarions....

I'm not against companies making money so they can continue to develop good products, but isn't this is taking it to an extreme? This will never compete with WoW's model of 15 bucks a month for 10 chars per server 50 across all worlds with only a few cosmetic items as microtransaction deals.....I don't care how good FFXIV's graphics are.
#46 Nov 12 2010 at 10:16 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
991 posts
Torrence wrote:
You know, I missed that interview where Wada called this a serious competitor to WoW. In fact, when everyone kept mentioning it, I thought they were just blowing smoke because the interview I remembered was them stating they weren't trying to compete with WoW at all. Thanks for the link.

Reading through that interview, it almost looks like their plan was always a subscription fee + microstransactions for items. I mean, that's how I am reading it.

Quote:
“The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.


Quote:
“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game.


I think they misunderstand what people like about the micro-transaction model - it's not typically combined with a monthly fee model.....

I know this article was a year ago and we haven't seen any of these micro-transaction items yet, but just wow on their plan of charging monthly fee for 1 char only, 3 bucks for extra chars, a buck each for extra retainers, AND plans for microtransactions... On top of the inevitable x-pacs\add-on scenarions....

I'm not against companies making money so they can continue to develop good products, but isn't this is taking it to an extreme? This will never compete with WoW's model of 15 bucks a month for 10 chars per server 50 across all worlds with only a few cosmetic items as microtransaction deals.....I don't care how good FFXIV's graphics are.



people keep looking at micro transactions as evil, but every **** MMO has them
wow friggin has them, and you dont see backlash there about it

also as far as characters are concerned, 1 thing about FF11/14 that gets me is that unlike most games, you dont need more then 1 character....
and ****, its a cheaper sub then most games, so yuo can in fact add on to it, and have more, just to reach what other games charge, but that factor never sticks out in peoples minds, only the "1 more dollar" aspect rather then the "well it cost 3 dollars less to begin with" part
____________________________


#47 Nov 12 2010 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
Vedis wrote:
Torrence wrote:


I know this article was a year ago and we haven't seen any of these micro-transaction items yet, but just wow on their plan of charging monthly fee for 1 char only, 3 bucks for extra chars, a buck each for extra retainers, AND plans for microtransactions... On top of the inevitable x-pacs\add-on scenarions....

I'm not against companies making money so they can continue to develop good products, but isn't this is taking it to an extreme? This will never compete with WoW's model of 15 bucks a month for 10 chars per server 50 across all worlds with only a few cosmetic items as microtransaction deals.....I don't care how good FFXIV's graphics are.



people keep looking at micro transactions as evil, but every **** MMO has them
wow friggin has them, and you dont see backlash there about it


Did you miss the huge debates, including a lot of complaining, about the introduction of the paid vanity pets and mount?
Vedis wrote:

also as far as characters are concerned, 1 thing about FF11/14 that gets me is that unlike most games, you dont need more then 1 character....
and ****, its a cheaper sub then most games, so yuo can in fact add on to it, and have more, just to reach what other games charge, but that factor never sticks out in peoples minds, only the "1 more dollar" aspect rather then the "well it cost 3 dollars less to begin with" part


I wouldn't mind 1 character per server, but 1 character overall is quite, quite stingy. Especially because it does mess you up when you want to join friends on a different server while keeping your main char, or want to reroll on a new server because your older server is dying. It creates real problems.
#48 Nov 12 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
APB did deserve to be on that list for sure no disputes. Anyone defending FFXIV being on this list is in denial. There's a lot of that going around though.

SE announces these major updates planned for Nov, Dec. and early 2011 for **** that should have been in the game to begin with and people eat it up with a spoon. Seriously it is sickening to see the amount of people hugging SE's nut sack for giving them fixes and content that they have already charged you for. Also they will begin the monthly payments by the end of this month charging you to fix and finish the product they just sold you. **** they are good I wish I could be that good of a salesman.

Their communication has already become tremendously better than in the past and I applaud that. Their work and focus on fixing the issues is great. It's just a little to late imo.

I digress; point blank it has been a flop and they have no one to blame but themselves. The plain and simple truth is they released this game before it was finished. Now they try to ride in like white knights and say "hey look at all of these updates and content we have to give you (with beams of light surrounding them like angels). We're here to save the day and regain your trust." That doesn't fly well with me I'm sorry I know some people are willing to overlook it but that bitter taste in my mouth just won't go away it's actually growing.

And yes I am a fan of the game on a fan sight expressing my opinion about the current state of the game because it is something I'm passionate about. Similar to the Carolina Panthers I'm a fan and I love my Panthers but we Suck Major A$$ this year and I ***** (as most passionate sports fans do) about thier performance and I want them to fire John Fox but I still watch and go to the games.

This post is a bit of a digression from the original theme but not from the content of the thread thus far. Also disclaimer the opinions in this thread are my own solely I'm not crusading or trolling. These are just that opinions so take them or leave them.
#49 Nov 12 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
Shouldn't an article like this be posted in the first quarter of 2011? There is still a month and a half left in this year and we already know there are changes planned for ffxiv that may improve the gaming experience for some people. To post the game as a failure alongside non-mmo games is a bit misleading, because unlike the other games, this one will likely evolve a great deal by year-end (and I dont' really consider dlc game evolution).

I'm not saying the game is a success by any means but of all the game listed in that article ffxiv probably has the best chance to redeem itself simply because of the nature of mmos. Conveniently, that fact is left out.

They should post an article for best games of the year! For those of us not totally immersed in the gaming world anymore, its hard to keep track of great releases (barring huge titles like SC2, COD black ops, civ 5, etc). Christmas time is rolling around soon afterall =D
#50 Nov 12 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
So Realtime Worlds, an "indie" developer, sells more units than mega giant SE, but their game doesn't belong on the list? That does not compute. If it sold 1M copies as stated by someone else (don't know if this is true), then by that alone it deserves to be on the list seeing that it was only online for one month.
#51 Nov 12 2010 at 1:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Pikko wrote:
So Realtime Worlds, an "indie" developer, sells more units than mega giant SE, but their game doesn't belong on the list? That does not compute. If it sold 1M copies as stated by someone else (don't know if this is true), then by that alone it deserves to be on the list seeing that it was only online for one month.


Its all about press anyway
they want more readers

and whats bound to catch peoples eyes more, a no name game being called a flop
or a SE game being called one

these lists go out of their way to only call out the names people will recognize best, and who doesnt know about ffxiv
or force unleashed 2(which was also on that list, despite being out for only 2 weeks)

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 11:18am by Vedis
____________________________


« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)