Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Comprehensive Content of Upcoming Large-Scale Version UpdateFollow

#152 Nov 11 2010 at 4:03 PM Rating: Good
**
327 posts
Quote:
*A feature allowing players to change their retainers' equipment


Glad they're addressing this game breaking issue. Do they have the person responsible for the /bell emote from FFXI working on XIV now?

Finally some other good info. though.Smiley: bowdown
____________________________



#153 Nov 11 2010 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
Kachi wrote:
There are lots of claims of "new content" and "adjustments"... but there's no way of knowing how good they'll be until it's actually done, and SE doesn't have the most impressive track record. Even if they accomplish all that they set out to by 2011 (which is unlikely, and they frequently delivered updates several months later than anticipated in XI), the product might still be an entirely mediocre game. In XI, SE at times would implement very minor class balance adjustments over a year after they announced them (and after years of player suggestions), and then they would be completely underwhelming.

It's true-- they can make all those adjustments and I still might not play. What will the adjustments to the battle system be? They don't get too specific, and that's one of my biggest problems with the game. If they can't make the solo-player aspect more challenging as well as add a fun cooperative system for party play (Battle Regimen seems kind of trashy even if it were working), I'm going to have a hard time getting into it.


Truthfully speaking, whatever else you can and cannot say about FFXIV, there is one area that Square Enix truly has evolved leaps and bounds in since FFXI, and that is in communication. So far, from what I have seen, Square Enix has kept us reasonably up to date with their work (it's not full disclosure to be sure, but compared to the scraps they throw us over at FFXI, it is night and day). During the Beta and in the first few weeks after release, we were seeing problems addressed literally the day after they were discovered. Most importantly, SE has yet to officially state (not in a press conference or interview, but in some sort of announcement) we are getting a feature added and not come through on time in FFXIV. It is such a remarkable change from FFXI that I find myself willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they post something like this, all official like.

The game has relatively little content, it is almost unanimously agreed upon that it was released too early - seemingly more and more likely because Square Enix was facing serious financial problems and needed something on the shelf - and the most generous thing you can call the interface is "unconventional". But despite the constant attempts by their bosses and managers to shoot themselves in the foot, everything we have seen from the actual development team seems to show an honest attempt to make a game we will love to play; they're attempting to communicate their intentions with us, and actually implementing everything they have promised us so far.

As a computer scientist (in training), there are decisions they made in the creation of the game I do not agree with, including some truly baffling design decisions. But overall, as a team, I am incredibly impressed by how well they have responded to the valid complaints of the users, especially compared to how it was/is in FFXI.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:12pm by Hulan
#154 Nov 11 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
Suppose you don't know there IS a party search function, right ? :|
edit...forum lost the quote.. oh well, was a rant on non-missing party search

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:25pm by Minamimoto

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:26pm by Minamimoto
____________________________


#155 Nov 11 2010 at 4:34 PM Rating: Default
**
347 posts
I don't see the need of a rush for an auction house, I am selling my crafted gear and buying necessary equipment pretty easily thanks to YG listing. Before anyone bash me on the need to use a third party website... I don't care. I don;t give a **** even if an alien/time travler/esp is doing the website, as long as it suit my need, it is cool. The end justify the mean.
____________________________
Flamealchemist
Bard 75, Thf 75 Smn 75 Blm 75, Whm 60, War 30, Nin 40 Drk 6, Rdm 6.
Race: Hume
Nation: Bastok
Rank: 10
Server: Gilgamesh
Craft: Cooking 100, Alemchy 60 Clothcraft 54, Goldsmith 25, Blacksmith 17, Fishing 22, Bonecraft 6.
#156 Nov 11 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
samosamo wrote:
Wint wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
Wint wrote:
Reading some of the replies here confirms what I already knew (as a developer): some people will never be happy Smiley: oyvey


Wow.... what a way to sound like an utter douche.

Or it could be, you know, maybe, that a lot of people are former FFXI players and are used to the "We plan to implement X, Y, and Z features" that end up getting forgotten because it involved a modicum of effort on their part? Ranger distance comes to mind. If this were any other developer on a different MMO and IP I'd be thrilled as it sounds like a massive, sweeping change to the game as far as the input factor is concerned.


I played FFXI from NA beta until mid last year. I'm familiar with the development cycle.

What I'm referring to is that even though SE is obviously listening and trying to address things in some kind of order of importance, people still feel the need to say "But waaaaah x change that I wanted isn't there!!!11!!". I get the feeling that even if SE some how magically addressed everyone's issues, and had it all done and implemented tomorrow, that people would still be trashing them.

I'm happy they're making changes, there is a lot of good stuff coming, and soon. It signifies a serious effort on their part to listen to the community and can only mean better things to come. So many are blinded by their hatred for a company whose games they continue to buy for some reason that I can't fathom.


Are there people that will always complain no matter what? yes, but the bigger point here is that the majority of people that have continued to buy SE games throughout time did so because they offered something that appealed to them, in some form or another and lately SE just can't deliver, on many different levels.

This latest release is the straw that broke the camel's back, and most have lost their faith in SE.

Square Enix is communicating with the public and publishing these proposed changes because FFXIV was so badly received, these changes would not have been implemented this soon otherwise. I'm excited for these changes and have hope that they will be implemented in a timely manner, but most posters here don't have your kind of faith, screwed over too much in the past.

The changes people are demanding or whining about are very fundamental and should have been included from the very beginning, I have not seen threads demanding unreasonable features/changes.

SE deserves a thrashing for this release and they have to earn our trust before that will change. I bought FFXIV because I enjoyed FFXI even though I was very unhappy with their billing practices, I though they would change in terms of customer service etc. and I trusted fully in their abilities to produce another MMO hit, I was burned in an entirely different way. That can explain at least partly my reasoning for buying FFXIV.


They're getting a thrashing, all over the place. That's why, when a thread is posted that is promoting new and exciting changes that show they are taking initiative, it's more than a little disappointing to see people crapping on what they are doing. I don't think my observation is "douche-like" in the least, but perhaps I expect too much from people.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 4:44pm by Wint
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#157 Nov 11 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Wint wrote:
samosamo wrote:
Wint wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
Wint wrote:
Reading some of the replies here confirms what I already knew (as a developer): some people will never be happy Smiley: oyvey


Wow.... what a way to sound like an utter douche.

Or it could be, you know, maybe, that a lot of people are former FFXI players and are used to the "We plan to implement X, Y, and Z features" that end up getting forgotten because it involved a modicum of effort on their part? Ranger distance comes to mind. If this were any other developer on a different MMO and IP I'd be thrilled as it sounds like a massive, sweeping change to the game as far as the input factor is concerned.


I played FFXI from NA beta until mid last year. I'm familiar with the development cycle.

What I'm referring to is that even though SE is obviously listening and trying to address things in some kind of order of importance, people still feel the need to say "But waaaaah x change that I wanted isn't there!!!11!!". I get the feeling that even if SE some how magically addressed everyone's issues, and had it all done and implemented tomorrow, that people would still be trashing them.

I'm happy they're making changes, there is a lot of good stuff coming, and soon. It signifies a serious effort on their part to listen to the community and can only mean better things to come. So many are blinded by their hatred for a company whose games they continue to buy for some reason that I can't fathom.


Are there people that will always complain no matter what? yes, but the bigger point here is that the majority of people that have continued to buy SE games throughout time did so because they offered something that appealed to them, in some form or another and lately SE just can't deliver, on many different levels.

This latest release is the straw that broke the camel's back, and most have lost their faith in SE.

Square Enix is communicating with the public and publishing these proposed changes because FFXIV was so badly received, these changes would not have been implemented this soon otherwise. I'm excited for these changes and have hope that they will be implemented in a timely manner, but most posters here don't have your kind of faith, screwed over too much in the past.

The changes people are demanding or whining about are very fundamental and should have been included from the very beginning, I have not seen threads demanding unreasonable features/changes.

SE deserves a thrashing for this release and they have to earn our trust before that will change. I bought FFXIV because I enjoyed FFXI even though I was very unhappy with their billing practices, I though they would change in terms of customer service etc. and I trusted fully in their abilities to produce another MMO hit, I was burned in an entirely different way. That can explain at least partly my reasoning for buying FFXIV.


They're getting a thrashing, all over the place. That's why, when a thread is posted that is promoting new and exciting changes that show they are taking initiative, it's more than a little disappointing to see people crapping on what they are doing. I don't think the observation is "douche-like" in the least, but perhaps I expect too much from people.


Funny how the douche isn't the one ******* in the cheerios, but the one calling them on it.
____________________________

#158 Nov 11 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I'm glad these changes are coming but I want to see the changes first hand before I resubscribe.

And with full sincerity it looks like the game will be in great shape when the PS3 version is out.
#159 Nov 11 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
xellosalpha wrote:
I don't care. I don;t give a sh*t even if an alien/time travler/esp is doing the website, as long as it suit my need, it is cool.

What if it's the Alien/Time traveler/esper's omnipotent friend running the website?



P.S. Sorry, I normally try so hard to avoid these types of +1 posts, but I couldn't resist this one...
#160 Nov 11 2010 at 4:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
15 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:


User Interface for 2011:
*Changes to main menu display format
*Changes to inventory list display format
*Improvements to various user-interface layouts
*Improvements to the Interactions menu
*The addition of a help text window
*The reorganization of on-screen information
*The reformatting of existing widgets, allowing for access of multiple windows at the same time
*Improvements to Actions & Traits menu response time
*Improvements to mouse and keyboard controls
*Improvements to character controls
*The addition of drag and drop functionality
*The addition of mouseover popup help text
*The addition of right-click menus
*The addition of a feature that will allow the cutting and pasting of macro buttons from the macro palette

This stuff has been since the start of this game the #1 complaint. My guess is they're doing a total overhaul, that there was no way they could add this to the already growing list of changes for November. Either way, I'm still here, I'm playing the game, all of this stuff can only make it a better experience. Let's keep a positive outlook going here cause a TON of this stuff could be great.


I honestly don't know why ppl complain about the UI. The Problems with it are not gamebreaking and the slow response is most likely also due to bad networkcode. Not that the ui couldn't be more comfortable. My Top Priorities would be: more variety in content(and I would, too, rather have heard that they add some NPC Quests instead of additional Leves), an improvement of networkperformance/connectivity(for europe. I got a Ping of at least ~250-270ms here). Nothing else besides this left a bad impression on me in FFXIV. I'm ready to love this game but its too tedious atm imo.
Anywayz these are great news and I'm looking forward to it. At the time being i have regained Hope that it wont be senseless to raise my toon.
#161 Nov 11 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
This sounds like a list full of empty promises..

I admit I am a FFXIV hater... this lists seems so dam impressive as to be almost unbelievable.. It looks like they're revamping the entire game.. in fact it looks like they are changing everything that failed during beta.. the problem here is that why didn't they do the fixes during beta?

I see how people can be optimistic based on this list.. but let's not forget SE, who is completely desperate to sell FFXIV right now.. will say absolutely anything to keep the money rolling and the current box holders to actually sub when the time comes..

To be honest this sounds a lot like a political promise rather than a real promise... Sort of how Obama promised to End income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 ... the plan fell right through the hole because it was dam near impossible or hard to implement... He simply gave up...

Overall good list.. but the promises seems a little but too big for them to actually follow through on.. With failures like Wada at the helm I am almost certain the promises won't be kept...

Before the flames are let loose.. let's not forget this is not a patch note.. for the sake of argument the list is more of a promise then anything..

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:58pm by nick2412

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 6:06pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#162 Nov 11 2010 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
This company business could be very promising. . .
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#163 Nov 11 2010 at 5:07 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Illmind wrote:
My Top Priorities would be: more variety in content(and I would, too, rather have heard that they add some NPC Quests instead of additional Leves), an improvement of networkperformance/connectivity(for europe. I got a Ping of at least ~250-270ms here).

Generally, it looks like you aren't going to be seeing much quest content outside of Leves. The Hamlet battle system is the sort of content we will probably be seeing in the future if FFXI is any measure (I know, I just posted a long dictation about who it isn't like FFXI, but we go with what we know best). They will probably leave quests as they are, adding extra Leves, class quests, and missions as needed, but spending most of their time on completely different styles of content, from battles to NMs, Instances to timed events. But most likely not quests.

As to your other point, nothing they do will ever increase your ping; not without completely reworking level 3 of the OSI (as in the foundation of the internet itself)1. On the other hand, they can greatly reduce the overhead on the server side to increase response time. Does anyone know if FFXIV uses UDP or TCP for menu commands? I would guess TCP, since it is more reliable, but it is much slower (when UDP doesn't lose packets of course). Hmmm, but I seem to have gotten off track on a relatively simple response. The ping are you getting right now is the best you are ever going to get, but fortunately, it looks like we will be getting a few improvements to the load on the servers, which alone should increase response time a good bit on button clicks and the not.

1. The more you know.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 6:15pm by Hulan
#164 Nov 11 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
**
886 posts
marsupialboy wrote:
Quote:
*A feature allowing players to change their retainers' equipment


Glad they're addressing this game breaking issue. Do they have the person responsible for the /bell emote from FFXI working on XIV now?

Finally some other good info. though.Smiley: bowdown



You make it sound like this isn't a fairly important fix to the market wards. Guess you never paid attention to all the bazaars in FFXI with a lot of people wearing the most outrageous thing they could find to sell their wares, because it made them "stand out" and easy to find. Remember the tarutarus in a bunny hat and summer costume? Remember the galkas with a horror head and bronze subligar? (Well, maybe most people have amnesia thanks to that. <_<)

Letting retainers equip different things to be more creative lets players make their bazaars "pop out", and easier to find, and if a retainer always wears the same thing, sometimes people automatically recognize them and what they usually sell. For instance, Jurgesdeli on phoenix in FFXI sells food, and is a galka wearing the gloom cloak or whatever the halloween one is, and follows the NPC Red Ghost in Port Jeuno.

Granted it might not seem game breaking, but it's a subtle way to make the markets more diverse and interesting, as well as easier to find things in there. You could have your retainer wear clothing that relates to the wares you sell, for instance, or even wear one of the wares as a sample for people to see what it looks like.
____________________________
Main Character: Psion
World: Phoenix
Resident of Windurst
75BLU/75PUP/70COR
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?186284
#165 Nov 11 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
About the only solid thing I got out oftheir list is that there is a large breadth to the updates but in typical se style they couldn't be more vague

Its a start at least
____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
#166 Nov 11 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
15 posts
Hulan wrote:
The ping are you getting right now is the best you are ever going to get.


Yes, unless they reallocate some of their servers. It is unacceptable to offer a Online Game when u can't get a better Ping than 250/260 ms. Especially in these Times.
I guess the Servers are still in Japan because to NA i hardly have a Ping worser than 200ms(100ms Eastcoast-160/170 Westcoast).
#167 Nov 11 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
421 posts
I have to admit, I know they had to put out some big changes to get people back, but man, if they actually put those in it could be a winner.

I'm still on the shelf waiting to see how it goes but if they do most of those I'll run out and get it, the mouse/keyboard thing is not a big deal to me as long as it works like FFXI's the UI and the lag were my biggest complaints.

as for more leves, I'm sort of mixed on those, I always hated questing for XP, maybe because my first MMO was EQ2 at release and people would party as soon as around level 8-10, they even had thier own skill chain sort of thing called heroic opportunity. the exp to level does not bother me either as long as party combat is fun, when I got my first guild in wow one of the first things I asked was "is there a place where you can get a party together and grind elite mobs for XP anywhere?" I got a ...... no. I was sort of dissapointed at that.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, if most of the changes are in before december 7th, I might just get this instead of cataclysm. but SE has to put thier money where thier mouth is this time before they get me to bite but it does look promising.
____________________________

#168 Nov 11 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
492 posts
no signs of real quests... :(
Don't think i could do 2 more months of leves only, even though it sounds like they're remaking the game to make us all happy, they left out what i really wanted.
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#169 Nov 11 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
421 posts
RyderDecree wrote:
no signs of real quests... :(
Don't think i could do 2 more months of leves only, even though it sounds like they're remaking the game to make us all happy, they left out what i really wanted.


I know how you feel, some of those little quests in FFXI were so amusing, and the S.O.B questline left me in stitches, but then again, with a final quest called "the promise" it had to be win.

and so many small city quests like exiting your MH to different places and such, they added such immersion to the cities, maybe they will add some once the major issues are worked out, they do really have thier hands full right now as it is.
____________________________

#170 Nov 11 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:

Truthfully speaking, whatever else you can and cannot say about FFXIV, there is one area that Square Enix truly has evolved leaps and bounds in since FFXI, and that is in communication.


I don't know... I'm with a few others on thinking that this could just be lip service. I'm not about to preemptively award points for communication on what might turn out to be empty promises. I'll be downright amazed if they do everything on their list before the PS3 release in a way that isn't totally disappointing (like the Market Wards "fix")

Quote:
To be honest this sounds a lot like a political promise rather than a real promise... Sort of how Obama promised to End income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 ... the plan fell right through the hole because it was dam near impossible or hard to implement... He simply gave up...


I agree with your point, and I'm getting off topic for a bit, but the topic of presidential campaign promises is a pet peeve of mine. People who expect a presidential candidate to fulfill all of their campaign promises show an alarming lack of understanding about the American political system. A president can fulfill very few of their promises without the support of Congress. A president can't even author and present a bill to Congress. They can only ask Congress to get off their asses and pass a bill to be signed by the president in to law. Obama, for example, can't do things nearly the way he'd like to, because even with a democratic majority, there are socially conservative democrats, fiscally conservative democrats, and ultimately not nearly enough democrats to fight a republic filibuster.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#171 Nov 11 2010 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
There is no excuse for waiting til 2011 for some of those very easy changes from that list.

Guys, they're playing you, AGAIN. This smacks of "make 'em stretch til PS3 release!!!!".

To me this is yet another one of SE's overconfident bad moves. See you guys in a month or so, when people realize I was telling the truth, after the patch buzz wears off.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 7:53pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#172 Nov 11 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Completely random: I want to build a ship and name it the HMS Your Mom.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#173 Nov 11 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
165 posts
Why people keep saying it's "easy changes", or if they expect things to be fixed overnight. Do they really believe it's like you press a button and that's it? Are you really aware of all the work, programming, development, testing, coding, art, etc ,etc that it involves? It's not easy guys, give them a break.
____________________________
"Make something idiot proof... someone will create a better idiot"
#174 Nov 11 2010 at 7:45 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
196 posts
RdeLeo wrote:
Why people keep saying it's "easy changes", or if they expect things to be fixed overnight. Do they really believe it's like you press a button and that's it? Are you really aware of all the work, programming, development, testing, coding, art, etc ,etc that it involves? It's not easy guys, give them a break.


Give them a break? How about no.. they had their time to fix stuff.. yet they fail to do so.. Beta was like what 5+ months... they fixed nothing.. now all of sudden they want things fixed in a time frame of 2-5 months..
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#175 Nov 11 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
nick2412 wrote:
RdeLeo wrote:
Why people keep saying it's "easy changes", or if they expect things to be fixed overnight. Do they really believe it's like you press a button and that's it? Are you really aware of all the work, programming, development, testing, coding, art, etc ,etc that it involves? It's not easy guys, give them a break.


Give them a break? How about no.. they had their time to fix stuff.. yet they fail to do so.. Beta was like what 5+ months... they fixed nothing.. now all of sudden they want things fixed in a time frame of 2-5 months..


I expect a lot of these changes are due to code fixes that were started during beta. 5+ months is nothing in the software development world, a blink of the eye. Even the smallest projects I work on take 6 months + to go from start to implemented.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#176 Nov 11 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
*
164 posts
There were quick to fix the sp glitch that some people abused, resulting in a nerf to a certain class.

Some MMOs I've played have weekly patches. I'm sure they could fix the chat text limit, and chat text opacity quite easily.

#177 Nov 11 2010 at 7:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
There were quick to fix the sp glitch that some people abused, resulting in a nerf to a certain class.

Some MMOs I've played have weekly patches. I'm sure they could fix the chat text limit, and chat text opacity quite easily.



Text Opacity? Probably easy.

Chat text limit? Sounds like a database constraint to me, and there are repercussions any time you monkey with the database.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#178 Nov 11 2010 at 7:53 PM Rating: Excellent
*
137 posts
All this says to me is I'll be paying to beta test for the PS3. Tons of changes and new features in the game in a few short months. Hoping it goes well or more tweaking till the changes work. This will go on for the next 3 or 4 months. I like what I see but I'm not paying to test it. I'll see ho this pans out after the PS3 release.
#179 Nov 11 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
165 posts
Wint wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
There were quick to fix the sp glitch that some people abused, resulting in a nerf to a certain class.

Some MMOs I've played have weekly patches. I'm sure they could fix the chat text limit, and chat text opacity quite easily.



Text Opacity? Probably easy.

Chat text limit? Sounds like a database constraint to me, and there are repercussions any time you monkey with the database.


And not only that, you need to eat enormous blocks of code to find what you are changing, or were is the error, specially if the error is a single character (which I hate the most, and yes, I'm a programmer) and believe me, reading through lines and lines of code is not easy and funny in english, don't wanna even thought about read lines of code in japanese.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 8:56pm by RdeLeo
____________________________
"Make something idiot proof... someone will create a better idiot"
#180 Nov 11 2010 at 8:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Nice list of additions for those willing to give them until 2011.

Unfortunately, that's not me. December 6th is still the last day of my 60 days. And while the list is nice, it's still only more words.

Get the bulk of that stuff in before December 5th, and I may consider paying for one month to see how December/1st week of 2011 goes. But I doubt seriously they will. The fact they've even suddenly changed from Nov/Dec to 2011 shows me they're counting on their words to keep us paying while they work on stuff, and that's still paying to beta test to me.

But I'll keep watching up until Dec. 5th, just in case they somehow pull off a miracle. But I am not getting my hopes up and I am not opening my wallet until I see ACTION, not words.
____________________________



#181xgargoylesx, Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 8:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Community: Alpha sux, game feels to grindy, characters lack character, there is no real content to be seen, we want an auction house and chocobos and my game crashes on startup.
#182 Nov 11 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
SE lost me, no party search function. I dont care if they fix all these stuff if the core of the game is unplayable because I cant get a party after being on for hours because no one use the crappy party search function in the game.

You lost me there too...u said there's no party search function, then you said it's because no one use the party search function...so is there a party search function in game? Can't blame SE if people just don't use it...

____________________________


#183 Nov 11 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
346 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
Yes, there are more important things to fix, but, these little annoyances add up. There a tonnes of minor fixes they could implement within a day or 2, that would alleviate some of the frustration people are experiencing.

Every little thing they fix adds up big time in the player stress factor. imo every little tweak to the players stress factor makes my playtime more enjoyable.


Ponderosa wrote:
I use a mouse and keyboard. From the sounds of things, my UI ain't getting fixed till 2011.
/cry
And, rather than start a new post. It seems /sea won't be in until 2011 also.

I feel your pain, I use a mouse, keyboard and a game pad, so anything they do to make macros/key binding/multiple menu short cuts will definitely improve game play for me.

This huge laundry list of fixes looks promising and I'm looking forward to the changes in the next two updates. I also would like to see the text limit increased, maybe PS3 release. Here's hoping everything SE has listed gets implemented.
____________________________


#184 Nov 11 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Default
**
608 posts
only thing i dont like is the purchase history there gonna add, now rmt will prevail lol. just like a AH.
#185 Nov 11 2010 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
ZeroGPX wrote:
Imaboomer wrote:
SE lost me, no party search function. I dont care if they fix all these stuff if the core of the game is unplayable because I cant get a party after being on for hours because no one use the crappy party search function in the game.

You lost me there too...u said there's no party search function, then you said it's because no one use the party search function...so is there a party search function in game? Can't blame SE if people just don't use it...



There is a party search function and I used it just yesterday to get a party. Problem is not enough people are using it.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#186 Nov 11 2010 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
ZeroGPX wrote:
Imaboomer wrote:
SE lost me, no party search function. I dont care if they fix all these stuff if the core of the game is unplayable because I cant get a party after being on for hours because no one use the crappy party search function in the game.

You lost me there too...u said there's no party search function, then you said it's because no one use the party search function...so is there a party search function in game? Can't blame SE if people just don't use it...



There is a party search function and I used it just yesterday to get a party. Problem is not enough people are using it.


I'm not sure enough people know how to use it.
____________________________


#187 Nov 11 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
Lafaiel wrote:
RyderDecree wrote:
no signs of real quests... :(
Don't think i could do 2 more months of leves only, even though it sounds like they're remaking the game to make us all happy, they left out what i really wanted.


I know how you feel, some of those little quests in FFXI were so amusing, and the S.O.B questline left me in stitches, but then again, with a final quest called "the promise" it had to be win.

and so many small city quests like exiting your MH to different places and such, they added such immersion to the cities, maybe they will add some once the major issues are worked out, they do really have thier hands full right now as it is.


I can truly agree here, if it's one thing FFXI was good at it was its story-telling. So many quests had you excited thinking "What's next?" and curious enough to seek out the next piece. Some of the rewards sucked, but the storylines alone made them entertaining and well worth the effort put forth. Clearly in the story missions and like in FFXIV you can see proof SE was trying this. I'll give an example. Since this may be considered a spoiler I'll put it in a quote and set it as a spoiler.

Quote:
In an Ul'dah tutorial quest at the start you're sent to the Miner's Guild. Two miners cause an uproar with an Elezen man and you have to help a Miqo'te woman distract them by learning how to use emotes. Soon as you complete this phase (Somewhat boring really.) you're treated to a cutscene with the men preparing to gang up on you. Before they can the pair suddenly fall down and we see two Lalafell men have grabbed them by the legs. After a sheer scolding we see they're dragged away pleading and clawing at the ground by the Lalafell. Screen changes to the outside of the guild and suddenly we see the two flying out of the doorway landing with a screen-shaking thud!


The above has to be one of my most favorite moments in FFXIV ever. Anyway, after work like this and some of the witty stuff you'll see in FFXI, (One Hume girl next to the airship building in Windurst talks about how she feels like she's about to die and asks if she'll leave anything for people to remember her by, then promptly barfs.) just makes you excited to see what else they have to offer in the game. Yet doing the actual levequests only has you head out to a spot, complete an objective with no fillers between it.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 7:34pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#188 Nov 11 2010 at 9:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
86 posts
RdeLeo wrote:
They are working on everything, they put a plan for it, they aknolewdge their mistakes and are trying to correct them, even to, people is discontent and still complaining and throwing more earth into the hole. Seriously, what do you all want? And don't start with the unfinished, or the this game didnt cover my expectations, or I paid for this, or all those things we already know.

If even with all this the company is doing and trying to do, you still aren't satisfy, just go and play other game and stop whining. Seems nobody will be happy until this game turns into RPG Maker: Final Fantasy Version , or FFXI-2, or WoW: Final Fantasy Version.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 2:38pm by RdeLeo


'They are working on it, they have a plan' ... that is not good enough. All they are doing now is desperate damage control.

You are describing exactly the kind of customer mistrust that comes from the release of a product in such a shoddy state. It is one thing to release an MMO that has glitches and bugs.. thats normal for any software... but to release one with massive interface and gameplay issues that a 10 year old kid can spot after a few minutes playing it is beyond comprehension.

As a customer that only tells me that this company puts no effort into quality control or in testing their product before being released. With that in context, why should I put any trust on their abilities or business practices?

I know for a fact it will take a few months of reviewing costumer submitted reviews, actual gameplay videos and if possible seeing it on someone else's computer before I consider purchasing another Square Enix game, even if it is Final Fantasy.

Now, see the above paragraph, particularly the text in bold and think of it not in terms of a rant but what this means to SE as a business. I have no doubt that a significant number of costumers share the above view with me.. and think:

Their lead franchise.. the very thing that keeps the company afloat and the very brand name that the gaming world associates with Square Enix... has lost credibility. Completely. This will hurt their revenue for many years to come and that is very bad for any company.

I honestly predict that FF14 will still be a failure when the PS3 version launches and its launch will be so anemic in sales it will be the last FF MMO that SE will make. They simply will not be able to afford another flop like this. In fact, given the steep decline in quality in all their games since the original Squaresoft dev team left I foresee SE being sold to some big name company like sony's SOE (god forbid!) because they'll go under pretty soon.. and any big name company will lap up the brand name of FF in a snap for cheap and try to rebuild it.. the profits in it are too big not to try.


Wint wrote:
Reading some of the replies here confirms what I already knew (as a developer): some people will never be happy Smiley: oyvey


As an alleged developer you should also know that releasing a steaming **** and then sprinkling it with potpourri doesn't mean you've created art.
#189 Nov 11 2010 at 11:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
to the concerned: SE does update listes before each and every update in ffxi. And everything gets fixed/ added. Stuff got canceled in beta due to the server stability issues.

To the admin/mods: will you kindle delete the "ffxiv haters" replies that are nothing but broken records of "this game will fail" they obviously do not want to play and harrassing us fans/ semi-fans.

On topic: Nice list. Really can't wait to finally play this game. Looking up my CE edition and my broken pc makes me cry ; ;.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#190 Nov 11 2010 at 11:56 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
mitmystria wrote:
only thing i dont like is the purchase history there gonna add, now rmt will prevail lol. just like a AH.


RMT is already here, there's farmers in groups on every server. So you can stop with the "AH will bring RMT!" spew, as it's comically wrong. Again, so sorry for you people who don't want price histories so you can gouge other players with high prices for crap items.


Wint wrote:

I expect a lot of these changes are due to code fixes that were started during beta. 5+ months is nothing in the software development world, a blink of the eye. Even the smallest projects I work on take 6 months + to go from start to implemented.


Maybe from a developer and accountant's viewpoint.

From the viewpoint of a customer, 5 months is another $65 thrown at the game while it's being fixed.


Edited, Nov 12th 2010 1:01am by Zorvan
____________________________



#191 Nov 12 2010 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
A very nice list. I think they have heard us and trying to show us they are sincere about correcting thier mistakes. I am pretty happy with the list but cautious about the actual delivery. I am disappointed that they did not mention anyting about the party members targeting command such as <p0>, <p1>...etc. Current FFXIV makes party healing a pain.
____________________________


#192 Nov 12 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
196 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
to the concerned: SE does update listes before each and every update in ffxi. And everything gets fixed/ added. Stuff got canceled in beta due to the server stability issues.

To the admin/mods: will you kindle delete the "ffxiv haters" replies that are nothing but broken records of "this game will fail" they obviously do not want to play and harrassing us fans/ semi-fans.

On topic: Nice list. Really can't wait to finally play this game. Looking up my CE edition and my broken pc makes me cry ; ;.


If you want that to happen.. then please by all means go to FFXIVCORE.. I heard it's like communism over there.. People that overpraise games that doesn't deserve praise makes other developers believe that releasing crap like this is actually acceptable.. Hopefully the haters i.e. me (yes I admit) will hurt SE enough in protest enough so that their future games will not suck like this... OR force them to massively improve FFXIV in record time..

If zam happens to follow the route that FFXIVCORE went.. this site will no longer be labeled as a neutral place to discuss FFXIV and gaming alike... but will be labeled as a fan boy haven.. I don't know about you but a credible website shouldn't be labeled as the latter nor should it be labeled as a hater website.. i.e. senkaku..

No one is saying this game will fail anymore.. that is old news.. what we are saying now is that SE will "possibly" fail to pull through in the coming months.. they are making big and extremely bold promises that shockingly should have been implemented slowly over the last past months instead of cramming them in towards march..

Oh and for the record.. the level of communication has only increased dramatically because it is SE's way of doing damage control.. notice how communication with the community was completely absent during beta.. all of sudden they started communicating more and more right after the negative reviews.. don't be delusional and think that SE is communicating because they actually care about the fans.. they only care about the success of their game..
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#193 Nov 12 2010 at 12:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Wint wrote:
samosamo wrote:
Wint wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
Wint wrote:
Reading some of the replies here confirms what I already knew (as a developer): some people will never be happy Smiley: oyvey


Wow.... what a way to sound like an utter douche.

Or it could be, you know, maybe, that a lot of people are former FFXI players and are used to the "We plan to implement X, Y, and Z features" that end up getting forgotten because it involved a modicum of effort on their part? Ranger distance comes to mind. If this were any other developer on a different MMO and IP I'd be thrilled as it sounds like a massive, sweeping change to the game as far as the input factor is concerned.


I played FFXI from NA beta until mid last year. I'm familiar with the development cycle.

What I'm referring to is that even though SE is obviously listening and trying to address things in some kind of order of importance, people still feel the need to say "But waaaaah x change that I wanted isn't there!!!11!!". I get the feeling that even if SE some how magically addressed everyone's issues, and had it all done and implemented tomorrow, that people would still be trashing them.

I'm happy they're making changes, there is a lot of good stuff coming, and soon. It signifies a serious effort on their part to listen to the community and can only mean better things to come. So many are blinded by their hatred for a company whose games they continue to buy for some reason that I can't fathom.


Are there people that will always complain no matter what? yes, but the bigger point here is that the majority of people that have continued to buy SE games throughout time did so because they offered something that appealed to them, in some form or another and lately SE just can't deliver, on many different levels.

This latest release is the straw that broke the camel's back, and most have lost their faith in SE.

Square Enix is communicating with the public and publishing these proposed changes because FFXIV was so badly received, these changes would not have been implemented this soon otherwise. I'm excited for these changes and have hope that they will be implemented in a timely manner, but most posters here don't have your kind of faith, screwed over too much in the past.

The changes people are demanding or whining about are very fundamental and should have been included from the very beginning, I have not seen threads demanding unreasonable features/changes.

SE deserves a thrashing for this release and they have to earn our trust before that will change. I bought FFXIV because I enjoyed FFXI even though I was very unhappy with their billing practices, I though they would change in terms of customer service etc. and I trusted fully in their abilities to produce another MMO hit, I was burned in an entirely different way. That can explain at least partly my reasoning for buying FFXIV.


They're getting a thrashing, all over the place. That's why, when a thread is posted that is promoting new and exciting changes that show they are taking initiative, it's more than a little disappointing to see people crapping on what they are doing. I don't think my observation is "douche-like" in the least, but perhaps I expect too much from people.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 4:44pm by Wint


its not you, its all them
ive played so many new MMOs its not funny, and this happens no matter how good or bad they are


Player: I dont like the UI
Devs: ok, we fixed it
Player: But the mobs are too easy now
Devs: Ok they are now harder
Player: The game is too expensive
Devs: its now f2p
Player: F2P sucks


theres no pleasing any of them, people like to troll and complain :)
____________________________


#194 Nov 12 2010 at 12:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Zorvan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
only thing i dont like is the purchase history there gonna add, now rmt will prevail lol. just like a AH.


RMT is already here, there's farmers in groups on every server. So you can stop with the "AH will bring RMT!" spew, as it's comically wrong. Again, so sorry for you people who don't want price histories so you can gouge other players with high prices for crap items.
[...]
Edited, Nov 12th 2010 1:01am by Zorvan


You know, some of us don't want price histories because we'd like to be able to cut a discount deal without causing an immediate death spiral to the price.

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 1:09am by Ravashack
#195 Nov 12 2010 at 12:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
595 posts
Lots of the major issues I had are being directly addressed or possibly adressed. Since I already enjoy the game as it is, that's win.
Regarding the UI mostly they are really making a lot of change or so it seems, and thats just GREAT.

to have the possibility to switch between keyboard or pad oriented game play is just what was needed in general.
Need to see the implementation of course, but the first step in regaining trust is to promise good things

(the second step is to deliver on those promises, read carfully SE ^^)
#196 Nov 12 2010 at 12:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
only thing i dont like is the purchase history there gonna add, now rmt will prevail lol. just like a AH.


RMT is already here, there's farmers in groups on every server. So you can stop with the "AH will bring RMT!" spew, as it's comically wrong. Again, so sorry for you people who don't want price histories so you can gouge other players with high prices for crap items.
[...]


You know, some of us don't want price histories because we'd like to be able to cut a discount deal without causing an immediate death spiral to the price.


And what's stopping you from doing so? You want to make a "discounted" price for friends or whatnot, trade with them directly. See, it's just like the tired and insane excuse AH haters give that an AH will kill social interaction. Not only is that false, but having an AH can INCREASE social interaction, like the "discounted deal" you mention.
____________________________



#197 Nov 12 2010 at 12:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
Sure is amazing seeing how many people ITT assume SE is just blatantly lying with their patch outline. Maybe I don't keep up on everything, but has SE said something will happen they haven't delivered on or aren't still planning on delivering?

I'm a little surprised they didn't mention a thing about end game content. There is already dozens of people with one job at level 50, in 2 months or so that number will be much higher more than likely. I hope their NMs include HNMs as well or there are going to be many bored people quitting
____________________________

#198 Nov 12 2010 at 12:47 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Not having an AH helps monopolists a lot, because people will never know
whet the materials/items they own are worth; so they sell them either dead cheap
or drop them altogether.
#199 Nov 12 2010 at 12:48 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Ravashack wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
mitmystria wrote:
only thing i dont like is the purchase history there gonna add, now rmt will prevail lol. just like a AH.


RMT is already here, there's farmers in groups on every server. So you can stop with the "AH will bring RMT!" spew, as it's comically wrong. Again, so sorry for you people who don't want price histories so you can gouge other players with high prices for crap items.
[...]


You know, some of us don't want price histories because we'd like to be able to cut a discount deal without causing an immediate death spiral to the price.


And what's stopping you from doing so? You want to make a "discounted" price for friends or whatnot, trade with them directly. See, it's just like the tired and insane excuse AH haters give that an AH will kill social interaction. Not only is that false, but having an AH can INCREASE social interaction, like the "discounted deal" you mention.


I'm just letting you know that some people do have reasons besides RMT. Let's not derail the thread too far with a side conversation.





#200 Nov 12 2010 at 1:49 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Let's hope that these changes they are making are significant enough to revitalize the PC player base. Much of the calamity could have been avoided by just showing their hand a bit sooner. None the less I can pray that others that have left will end up coming back around once these changes have been implemented. If they would have just released this game at 2weeks before Christmas they could have tapped into that market and had a more "ready" game for the masses. Just the same this is a huge step in gaining the players' trust again and let's just believe they will respond.
#201 Nov 12 2010 at 1:49 AM Rating: Decent
*
156 posts
looking good so far, but only time will tell
____________________________
KitsurubamiSouzahara wrote:
This is all just a fanboy civil war. Some are hurt that SE gave them such a crap game, the others are hurt that anyone would call it crap.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)