Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Any other decent FFXIV forums?Follow

#1 Nov 11 2010 at 7:35 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Anyone know of any other decent FFXIV fan sites?

This site has turned into nothing more then a hate site. The amount of downright hearsay and unheard truths that people throw around as facts is just astounding.

Anything remotely civial and constructed in a decent way just ends up being drowned out by the nay-sayers.

I used to be a premium member of the Allakhazam site many years ago, I don't remember it being this hateful thats for sure and in saying so, I think I might spend my time at a more civial site and even consider spending my money on a premium membership elsewhere. Admins here just seem to want to consistantly stir the pot with certain threads and posts that do nothing but continue to get the community riled up, heated and angry, for what reason? Why not spend your time administrating the forums and removing posts that are abusive, loud, abnoxious and obvious rumour mills with the intent of causing a destructive attitude within the community here itself instead?

I asked these questions in other threads but got drowned out by the vomit that people are constantly spewing over the forums, so hopefully I might get some feedback here.

Anyways, anyone have any other sites in mind?

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 8:39am by Taemek
#2 Nov 11 2010 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
*
164 posts
Sorry bud, but I've looked and there aren't really that many "active" ones.

Interest in the game has dropped severely.

Not many people have anything nice to say about the game.

I'm afraid that no matter what forum site you visit, you're just gonna see the same stuff.

This site isn't too bad, occasionally, you'll find a post with tip / suggestion /call for help.


#3 Nov 11 2010 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
Sorry to tell ya, what you see here is what its like on all other sites.
____________________________




#4 Nov 11 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Bluegartr.

Quote:
I like BG being cut-throat and numbers-driven and brutal to people who don't know what the @#%^, but I also love a lot of the clever people who post here, and the fact that if you don't know what the @#%^, and are polite, you'll learn something


Sums it up.

Although the XIV forums are less moderated. The bullsh*t usually stays in one topic though.

Core is horrible. Eorzeapedia is awful. KillingIfrit is full of trolls. MMORPG.com has a) fanboys and b) haters, so the arguments tend to get 'interesting' but it's still a place full of stupidity.

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 5:38pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Nov 11 2010 at 8:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,151 posts
core, origin, even yg has a forum. I usually hit a bunch of different ones up though I am here the most.
#6 Nov 11 2010 at 8:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
I also wish there was a real fansite. I'M pretty optimistic with the game and i'm tired of the whining here.
This negativism is not helping the game and/or the community at all. I find no interest in voicing my satisfaction with the game (yes i'm happy with it, i'm totaly enjoying my time in Eorzea, even tho it's not perfect) simply because i'll get flamed down by the massive amount of overly reacting dramaqueens (not speaking of those not satisfied with a fairly balanced opinions. Speaking of those bashing simply for bashing, proly to expulse real life frustration).

HS

____________________________


#7 Nov 11 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
*
164 posts
Not helping? Have you not read the update on loadstone yet? Do you really think SE would plan all those fixes, if people hadn't complained about the state of the game?

You should be thanking the people who complained loudly about the problems with this game. If it wasn't for them, SE would wouldn't fix half the crap that's wrong with this game.

#8 Nov 11 2010 at 8:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
Not helping? Have you not read the update on loadstone yet? Do you really think SE would plan all those fixes, if people hadn't complained given constructive criticism about the state of the game?

You should be thanking the people who complained loudly gave a lot of constructive criticism about the problems with this game. If it wasn't for them, SE would wouldn't fix half the crap that's wrong with this game.


FTFY

Complaining and whining gets you no where, working with the devs and offering constructive critiques gets things done.

Think about your job, if your boss came up to you and said you have done nothing but horrible work and you're a slacker, you wouldn't want to do much more, huh? But if he came up to you and showed you ways you can improve your performance, worked with you rather than berate you, you might take it to heart and improve.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#9 Nov 11 2010 at 8:54 AM Rating: Excellent
*
70 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
Not helping? Have you not read the update on loadstone yet? Do you really think SE would plan all those fixes, if people hadn't complained about the state of the game?

It helped but only in the first few weeks. SE has gotten the point. Piling hate on the game now is excessive and does nothing but
1. dampen the mood for everyone who's still playing it
2. drive away many potential customers who stumble upon this forum before buying the game, making it harder for SE to fix the game. But perhaps that's precisely the reason many of the naysayers are doing it, they want the game they hated to die and SE humiliated.
#10 Nov 11 2010 at 8:54 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
"I like it here....its exciting!"

-Scotty-
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#11 Nov 11 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
67 posts
This forum would be decent if it wasn't full of people trying to make people who are enjoying this game, hate this game. Its like peer pressure at school. If the 'cool' kids hate something, you better hate it too or you will be harassed to no end. Alas no other forum I've seen is remotely active.

Anyway, back to having FUN in FFXIV.
#12 Nov 11 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
As others have said, you'll find more of the same at other places and the ones where there isn't so much negativity are fairly inactive.

ZAM is the best I've found so far but you still have to wade through a decent amount of crap. It's definitely better than Core IMO but I'd recommend just checking them all periodically through the workday... at least that's what I do.

Brandon
#13 Nov 11 2010 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Hopefully with the detailed update notes released today some of the hate threads will die down. There's enough info out there now that people can make a decision if they want to stay or not. In as little as two weeks the first major update will be released and hopefully then people will go back to talking about adjustments, leves, strategy, exp camps, etc. you know, normal fansite stuff.

I mean, the trolls will eventually get bored and leave, right? Right?
#14 Nov 11 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
I mean, the trolls will eventually get bored and leave, right? Right?


Unfortunately, from every MMO I've ever seen forums related to them are normally cesspools. FFXIV is actually already better than most in that regards (but not by much and you don't have to look hard for idiocy).

As long as there are folks to be riled up there will be trolls.

Brandon
#15antshock30, Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 9:57 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The only thing that saved the players was the loss of revenue and Wada thinking he will be fired.ANY ONE WHO THINKS DIFF IS LIVING IN FINAL FANTASY
#16 Nov 11 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
antshock30 wrote:
The only thing that saved the players was the loss of revenue and Wada thinking he will be fired.ANY ONE WHO THINKS DIFF IS LIVING IN FINAL FANTASY

Lets not forget,as most people think XIV will not be the only MMO on PS3 there will be the agency and DC Universe as well as a couple others. So this time PS3 consule users might not have saved SE


JUST A FYI


wut
#17 Nov 11 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Default
Sage
**
534 posts
These forums have just a handful of downers who like to get in the middle of a positive thread, say few negative comments, then move along hunting another positive thread. Its pretty easy to see they have an agenda....so its also easy to just ignore them. The game can turn into the most fantastic mmo ever created and they will still be bitter because they bought the CE and the game wasn't ready for them.

Someday they will hopefully find another game they can pester or enjoy. I mean...it is just a game...right?

____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#18 Nov 11 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Zam is probably the biggest, in terms of revenue, funded site out there right now for MMO's, you'd do well sticking with them and supporting them, because its one of the few remaining sites out there that think to employ people that actually have a passion for the games they cover.

Every forum is gonna have haters, but at least here you can check out other things with like-minded players, for now I suggest you go and check out a few of the other Cross-site sub forums and make a few friends, come back next year and see how things have changed.

I think alot of people don't know how lucky they are to have a site like this, where you can get to know people outside of a specific game-forum.
____________________________
Meowth!
#19 Nov 11 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
"It helped but only in the first few weeks. SE has gotten the point. Piling hate on the game now is excessive and does nothing but"

In the first few weeks you'll get to R20 maybe, and only be in a few parties. You won't have played enough to experience the party battle flaws in this game. Soloing at low levels can be fun, but wait till you get to R25+, then you'll see.

1. dampen the mood for everyone who's still playing it

My apologies to those of you who actually enjoy playing the game.

2. drive away many potential customers who stumble upon this forum before buying the game, making it harder for SE to fix the game. But perhaps that's precisely the reason many of the naysayers are doing it, they want the game they hated to die and SE humiliated.

OMFG, I can't believe you actually wrote that. This game, in it's CURRENT STATE, is a POS. Even the company that made it knows that. Do you really want people to buy this game, see how bad it is, and never play it again? Or, would you prefer they hold off their purchase, until the game is in a "playable" state.
#20 Nov 11 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Default
*
70 posts
Yeah but it's a problem of chicken and egg. SE needs to make the game worthwhile before they expect customers but then again it also needs enough subscriptions so the executives don't pull the plug on the game. Not every potential purchaser who's put off by the negativity would end up hating the game. It happened quite often that a movie came out and I checked the reviews/ratings and they were too bad so I didn't go see it in the theater, but a couple months or years later I caught the movie on TV and enjoyed it immensely!
#21 Nov 11 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
in this thread:

ppl who spend more times reading about the game on forums than actually playing it.
#22 Nov 11 2010 at 10:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
I thought core was a forum run by rabid fanbois that deleted everything negative? That's not a haven for happy joy posts? Shocking.
____________________________
BANNED
#23 Nov 11 2010 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
preludes wrote:
I thought core was a forum run by rabid fanbois that deleted everything negative? That's not a haven for happy joy posts? Shocking.


Yes and no, I think the admins are a bit more aggressive in deleting posts that they deem are trolling or generally negative. There is a good bit of rabid fanboyism but there are also a good number of posters that are trolls and those that give feedback constructively.

To the OP:
Are there other decent FFXIV forums? I'd say yes, I frequent bluegartr and FFXIVcore often. Are they better than zam? Imo...not at all.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#24 Nov 11 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
Um, I'm in the game now, spamming menu party search begin search

Hmm,, maybe I can macro that

#25 Nov 11 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
17 posts
Wolfeinstein wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
Not helping? Have you not read the update on loadstone yet? Do you really think SE would plan all those fixes, if people hadn't complained about the state of the game?

It helped but only in the first few weeks. SE has gotten the point. Piling hate on the game now is excessive and does nothing but
1. dampen the mood for everyone who's still playing it
2. drive away many potential customers who stumble upon this forum before buying the game, making it harder for SE to fix the game. But perhaps that's precisely the reason many of the naysayers are doing it, they want the game they hated to die and SE humiliated.


That's pretty hilarious. Maybe be a little less emotionally sensitive about it, and you won't feel like "naysayers" are "doing it" because "they want the game to die" and to see "SE humiliated".
#26 Nov 11 2010 at 11:37 AM Rating: Default
*
70 posts
goomba666 wrote:
Wolfeinstein wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
Not helping? Have you not read the update on loadstone yet? Do you really think SE would plan all those fixes, if people hadn't complained about the state of the game?

It helped but only in the first few weeks. SE has gotten the point. Piling hate on the game now is excessive and does nothing but
1. dampen the mood for everyone who's still playing it
2. drive away many potential customers who stumble upon this forum before buying the game, making it harder for SE to fix the game. But perhaps that's precisely the reason many of the naysayers are doing it, they want the game they hated to die and SE humiliated.


That's pretty hilarious. Maybe be a little less emotionally sensitive about it, and you won't feel like "naysayers" are "doing it" because "they want the game to die" and to see "SE humiliated".

lol did I strike a nerve somewhere? If you could care a bit less about what some random guy on the Internet says about some other random guys you wouldn't even bother trying to mock me. Perhaps I'm not the only one sensitive here :)
btw you must be beyond naive or haven't been around these kinds of forum much to imply that nobody wishes this game to die a horrible death.
#27 Nov 11 2010 at 12:50 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Bluegartr is usually pretty good. If you're an unapologetic idiot though you probably won't like it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#28 Nov 11 2010 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
72 posts
If you are serious about finding a decent site, then stay here. Issues with FFXIV are and will be addressed and the tone will be tempered somewhat. Trolls exist for the explicit reason of making it miserable for others. Conscientious critics of the game will continue to address issues here and elsewhere on the Web and SE will continue to improve the game for revenues sake if nothing more.

This is still a FFXIV FANSITE and will continue to be for many years to come IMHO. :)
#29thehellfire, Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 2:32 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Best site is eorzeapedia, it still has a few trolls like Sharptalon and Domokun but mostly fans.
#30 Nov 11 2010 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
You know what is interesting? That there are so many complaints about "haters" and "trolls", but most of the concerns about FFXIV come from the most moderate of posters (Green and Red names) on these boards.

There is a huge difference to having an opinion that isn't in agreement with yours and being a troll. This forum and BG are probably the two biggest in terms of intelligent posters, fair moderators, and general information. I think that what some of you are looking for is a site that posts only positive things about XIV - in which case I believe someone was IP banned from Core for posting something negative. You might want to try there - it could be what you are looking for.

Overall, I grow weary of these blanket statements about "haters and trolls" when the majority of posts I would consider "trolling" are the less articulate wall'o text rants labeling anyone who disagrees with their assessment "a troll just hatin on XIV".

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 3:39pm by Torrence
#31thehellfire, Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 3:47 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Id disagree, the biggest trolls are the pay for users here, they have a sense of entitlement because the mods will never go after them. Now this isnt the biggest trolls site, mmorpg is, but it runs second in my book (probably because like mmorpg you have the majority of posters on here who are just into bashing other games). Most posts against the game are nothing more than OMG this game suxxors you fail SE posts. They never put forward solutions to their alleged problems, and a lot of them have never played it.
#32 Nov 11 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
751 posts
Torrence wrote:
You know what is interesting? That there are so many complaints about "haters" and "trolls", but most of the concerns about FFXIV come from the most moderate of posters (Green and Red names) on these boards.

There is a huge difference to having an opinion that isn't in agreement with yours and being a troll. This forum and BG are probably the two biggest in terms of intelligent posters, fair moderators, and general information. I think that what some of you are looking for is a site that posts only positive things about XIV - in which case I believe someone was IP banned from Core for posting something negative. You might want to try there - it could be what you are looking for.

Overall, I grow weary of these blanket statements about "haters and trolls" when the majority of posts I would consider "trolling" are the less articulate wall'o text rants labeling anyone who disagrees with their assessment "a troll just hatin on XIV".

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 3:39pm by Torrence


Unfortunately some of us with green names who were enjoying playing the game tried to make positive comments and then got rated down to a blue name.

Those who have kept their red and green names are the people who join in the hate threads and flame wars.

My final rate downs came when I tried to answer some questions posed about spell casting SP for Conjurer and the effect of various stats. No-one wanted the answer to the questions - they just wanted to hate on the game. Since i posted these karma smshing posts, SE has come out and confirmed I was right. It is sad that in my attempts to help the community, I suddenly got bombed.

I dont doubt you have kept your red name status by only saying negative things about the game and thereby have pandered and agreed with the masses.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#33 Nov 11 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
554 posts
HallieXIV wrote:


Unfortunately some of us with green names who were enjoying playing the game tried to make positive comments and then got rated down to a blue name.

Those who have kept their red and green names are the people who join in the hate threads and flame wars.

My final rate downs came when I tried to answer some questions posed about spell casting SP for Conjurer and the effect of various stats. No-one wanted the answer to the questions - they just wanted to hate on the game. Since i posted these karma smshing posts, SE has come out and confirmed I was right. It is sad that in my attempts to help the community, I suddenly got bombed.

I dont doubt you have kept your red name status by only saying negative things about the game and thereby have pandered and agreed with the masses.


If I had to make a guess, you were rated down for constantly bringing up and taking pot shots at WoW in a FFXVI fourm. It got to the point where I and many others had to call you out on it. We get it ok? Lets move on...




As for the op, this site is fine, but I do suggest hitting up other areas in the FFXVI section. It will calm down a bit in a few days after everyone has thier say on the recient announcement. Blue Garter is also a good one.

I would avoid MMORPG.com and Core like the plauge tho... those sites have some of the most unfriendly communities I have ever seen.

This thread peaked my intrest tho, think Ill go check out KI in a bit and see how it is.
havent been there in years.
#34 Nov 11 2010 at 9:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Devildawgs wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:


Unfortunately some of us with green names who were enjoying playing the game tried to make positive comments and then got rated down to a blue name.

Those who have kept their red and green names are the people who join in the hate threads and flame wars.

My final rate downs came when I tried to answer some questions posed about spell casting SP for Conjurer and the effect of various stats. No-one wanted the answer to the questions - they just wanted to hate on the game. Since i posted these karma smshing posts, SE has come out and confirmed I was right. It is sad that in my attempts to help the community, I suddenly got bombed.

I dont doubt you have kept your red name status by only saying negative things about the game and thereby have pandered and agreed with the masses.


If I had to make a guess, you were rated down for constantly bringing up and taking pot shots at WoW in a FFXVI fourm. It got to the point where I and many others had to call you out on it. We get it ok? Lets move on...




As for the op, this site is fine, but I do suggest hitting up other areas in the FFXVI section. It will calm down a bit in a few days after everyone has thier say on the recient announcement. Blue Garter is also a good one.

I would avoid MMORPG.com and Core like the plauge tho... those sites have some of the most unfriendly communities I have ever seen.

This thread peaked my intrest tho, think Ill go check out KI in a bit and see how it is.
havent been there in years.


I very rarely pot shot at WoW since I really enjoyed the game. In fact, I had stopped posting any comment about any other game. THe rate downs came on one thread relating to what questions you would ask the devs. I tried to answer some the questions. These were the only posts I have ever written that ended up "sub" and collapsed in the forum. Ironically, when I had commented on WoW, i tended to stay neutral - presumably there are people around who do hate WoW.

The only bad comments I made about WoW related to spell stats and Hunter pet training. YOu must be thinking of someone else. I played WoW for around 5 years and had a great time. I hated what they did to spell stats, and hated what they did to pet training. I also really hate some recent changes in prep for Cataclysm to such a degree that I have now quit completely. Compared with the flaming of FFXIV on these forums - my criticisms, rare as they were had a pretty reasonable basis.

This community is only "friendly" if you want to hate on FFXIV all of the time. It is the most negative I have seen, which is why I rarely post here anymore. It is a great site for info!

Edited, Nov 11th 2010 11:02pm by HallieXIV
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#35 Nov 11 2010 at 11:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Well I know I've been rated down for repeatedly playing devil's advocate against the vocal and for being steadfast in my support of watching where the market wards go before I demand an AH.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#36 Nov 12 2010 at 12:16 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
BG is a good source of info, but I hate what they did with their forums, was much better before
#37 Nov 12 2010 at 1:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
The most difficult issue with the state of FFXIV is the availability of any interaction in the forums. I keep checking these daily and Core every now and again, but I can tell you from experience that the number of active and informative posts are on the decline. The forums for my server are barely active, with Mysidia being one of the more populated servers. I'm not sure if all the negativity pushed people away, but I've browsed through others to see the same thing occurring. Basically, there are a few posts which stay semi-active, but these boards are a far cry from what FFXI was in its prime.

I do hope the game improves and that SE follows through on their promises, but only time will tell the true story. But I will say that some of the time-lines given have yet to be met. However, that is the nature of MMORPGs due to their complexity and nature. I just hope that the game makes a 180 and restores faith in those of us who have voted for Square with our money for over two decades.

People have a right to be happy or upset, as the state of FFXIV paves the way for both the positive and negative. I just hope we can all look back at the end of November and remember what was promised and actually see it come to fruition.

Here's yet another post trying to be positive while also acknowledging that SE has quite a lot of work to do, and many intentions to be yet fulfilled.
#38 Nov 12 2010 at 4:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Bluegartr


Oh lawdy. I haven't been to BG since release, but I was active there for quite a while. If it's anything at all like it used to be, BG will eat OP alive.

Ok, I'm just going to come out and say this. I am not really one to take notice of people's names. In fact, never in my history of posting here have I even used the handy feature that puts "So and so wrote" in the quotes. I generally just respond to what was said without any regard to who said it. So if I took note of your name, it was either because of something particularly good, or particularly bad. There are a few exceptions to the regulars, and by that I mean people I've seen around zam for a couple of years or so.

Taemek and HallieXIV are names that I have noted for not being intelligible or constructive posts. I absolutely will not give someone a hard time or even a ratedown for liking and defending the game. The simple fact that I recognize your names indicates to me that you've been habitually making posts that are rude or plain asinine, and even though some people have been downrated unfairly lately, I don't think your lack of scholar status can be attributed solely to trolls and haters.

So this is not intended to be a personal attack, flame, or anything of the sort. This is just a friendly suggestion that maybe for some of you, it's not the site or the community, but the way you come across. I know it seems unfair that people on one side of the fence can rant and rave, while others are expected to disagree agreeably, but there you have it. Those people don't have to care about the community... they're already prepared to leave it. But you also have to notice that a lot of criticism has been fair and measured, and at worst hyperbolic or joking at the game's expense. People like myself who are highly displeased with the game but still want to discuss what exactly is wrong with it and see where it eventually goes... we're going to be around for a while. Several of us have been around for years, and this isn't the only forum on zam to visit. You don't have to agree with us, but save your disgust and contempt for the few people that go out of their way to be rude, not every person who vocally disagrees with you.

Some people (like Hyanmen there) have lost their scholar status because they defend unpopular positions frequently and catch **** for it. I've certainly done the same many times in the past. But most of you who aren't brand new posters and don't have Scholar status honestly haven't earned it. Scholar comes easy... the fact that I have it is proof of that. Entire forums have tried to take it away from me, but the fact that even a quarter of my posts were constructive has meant that my karma score (which you can't see these days) has barely budged an inch. Almost all of my criticism of the game has been civil, and the one's that were overly harsh were rated down. I have disagreed with many people about the game, and while neither of us were on the same side, we are both rated up. So clearly this is not such a community of haters.

Criticism and skepticism don't equate to whining, and some of the worst whiners have been the ones whining about all the whining... which hasn't been whining at all. People also aren't receptive to rude and condescending remarks regardless of which side you take. Keep these things in mind, and maybe reread your posts the next time you're about to hit the "Post Message" button.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#39 Nov 12 2010 at 4:32 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
This is just a friendly suggestion that maybe for some of you, it's not the site or the community, but the way you come across.


Exactly. I think it's rather sad to judge the post, not based on what is said but how it is said. Even worse is to judge the post simply based on Karma. There is no way to argue fairly with some of the Sages or Gurus around here. They have their followers, and it is sure as **** any post I make that disagrees with these people is going to get rated down by at least a few people. It shouldn't be this way.

Either way I know exactly why I am no longer a Scholar, but that I come across rude is not the whole truth of it. As it seems I have gained several "followers" of my own, rating down posts no matter what I say and how, why even bother at this point?

Right now if someone is rude or arrogant, I will be the same, but if someone acts civil, I have no reason to not do the same. Either way it's going to end up with a rate down.

I wouldn't care if didn't make it seemingly impossible to argue with some of you 'fairly'. "I am Sage, he is nothing. There is no reason to take him seriously." Now let's be honest here, wouldn't that kind of attitude **** you off? Seriously.

Now I expect rate downs because I criticized the karma system. Baw.

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 1:33pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#40 Nov 12 2010 at 4:32 AM Rating: Good
***
1,349 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
THe rate downs came on one thread relating to what questions you would ask the devs. I tried to answer some the questions.


I haven't read any of those posts, but if I had to guess, there's your problem.

The developers prove to be a wildly unpredictable lot. If there is anything certain about them, it's that they do not follow the formula. This has long been a double edged sword... sometimes awesome, sometimes not.

Don't be surprised if they announce a sequel to FFXI... then a few months before release they reveal it's actually a feature film.
____________________________
(f;,,;)f (/o.o)/
#41 Nov 12 2010 at 6:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I think it's rather sad to judge the post, not based on what is said but how it is said.


I'm not sure if you maybe mixed that up or not? I think both are a fair basis of judgment for a post, but how it was said should generally be more important than what was said. It's fine to disagree, but being a jerk about it will get you rate downs even from people who agree with you. Though if you're talking about facts, it's a slightly different story-- then I think being right is sometimes more important than being polite, at least if you're judging the post as a contribution.

Anyway, my comment about you wasn't very clear, so let me clarify. I remember talking to you in the FFXI General forums years ago, and we've had many discussions and debates since then in various forums. I watched you lose scholar, and while you maybe weren't as polite as could be, you weren't especially rude, and the main reason you got rated down was because you took a stand for unpopular positions. It wasn't the way you said what you said, but maybe my memory is just forgiving.

Basically what I'm trying to point out to some people, is that they claim that's the case for them-- that they're just victims of liking the game in a community of haters-- when that's not always been the case. If you've caught my attention, it wasn't for liking the game. It was for being rude, needlessly argumentative, whiny, or making incredibly stupid posts.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#42 Nov 12 2010 at 6:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I watched you lose scholar, and while you maybe weren't as polite as could be, you weren't especially rude, and the main reason you got rated down was because you took a stand for unpopular positions. It wasn't the way you said what you said, but maybe my memory is just forgiving.


I kinda doubt it too, but that's a given.

It's not hard to get rated up.. just say popular things and be nice. I have nothing against this, but the "status" acting like this can give the person annoys me. You are the underdog because you say unpopular things & because your name is not in green or red, not simply because what you bring to the table isn't good/relevant...

It's why I don't like karma systems. People just aren't fair, nor are they ever unbiased enough to make the perfect decision as far as rating up or down goes.

Hardly matters anymore though!

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 3:56pm by Hyanmen

Edited, Nov 12th 2010 3:57pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#43 Nov 12 2010 at 7:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I wish they'd at least adjust the algorithms of the karma system. The way it is now, if you don't get sage/guru pretty early in your posting career, you'll probably never get it. Of course, that's probably saved me from losing Scholar in the past, too. Oh well, I don't really care. Like I said before, I don't usually look at the author of what I'm reading. I judge a post based on the merit of its content. If I take notice of your name, you're either doing something really right, or really wrong.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#44 Nov 12 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Those who have kept their red and green names are the people who join in the hate threads and flame wars.


I disagree with this wholeheartedly. There is a small minority of people who seem to not be able to imagine that the majority of FF fans are genuinely dissatisfied with FFXIV. Why is it so hard to believe?

There is not one person here who I would consider to be "FFXIV hater" who is just here for the sole purpose of making everyone else miserable (ok, maybe there are one or two people) - everyone here is a legitimate fan of the franchise and in almost all cases, the direct predecessor of this game. We are all just disappointed at being deceived as to the state of the game at release. We are talking about fans so avid that despite the grumblings, we all went out and purchased shiny new upgrades for our PCs, and had the CE pre-ordered on Amazon the very second it was available (months previous). These are not the actions of people who genuinely want to hate on and see a game fail.

I'm sorry that the popular opinion is that the game needs a hefty amount of work, but that's just the reality of the situation. When the issues are hammered out, we will all have a more positive outlook and have renewed interest in the game. Until then, our only recourse is to keep discussing things at the "official" fan sites and hope that our cries do not fall upon deaf ears.
#45 Nov 12 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
179 posts
Pretty much all the FF14 forums suck atm.

It's really sad that we can't come here and get some game info without being told how much the game sucks or being personally attacked.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#46 Nov 12 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Gutspraygore wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
THe rate downs came on one thread relating to what questions you would ask the devs. I tried to answer some the questions.


I haven't read any of those posts, but if I had to guess, there's your problem.


I'd have to agree with this. In a thread titled 'Ask the Developers', people would be looking for answers from the Devs...not you.
I don't rate people down very much, I do try to rate up people who are articulate and present reasons for their thinking. I pretty much ignore people who think they know everything and want to share. I'm lurking mostly these days, waiting for the eventual patches and fixes which will probably result in more explosive threads.
Good luck to the OP tho, most forums are worse than Alla these days, one way or the other. And I lol'd at whoever suggested BG, it's not for the faint-hearted.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#47 Nov 13 2010 at 4:02 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
And I lol'd at whoever suggested BG, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Now you really piqued my interest...have to check it out later. ;D

I do agree the atmosphere on ZAM has been a bit toxic as of late, but it doesn't affect me enough that I want to start looking for other sites. Partly it's because like what most people have said, they are all pretty much the same these days, so it's not worth the effort. Also, to me at least, this site still has the most number of people who can articulate intelligently. Plus, I really like the dark theme! That's right, a pretty forum background is enough to entice me to stay!
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#48 Nov 13 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
I've been to ffxivcore.com that site is pretty mad, if not worst then zam. The admin blindly handle posts. Like you can try to call out the BS on ppl. And you post is mod edioted or deleted and warning level set. They go by 1o strikes and DO NOT message you to warn you of possible ban. Or mention if you get banned. The admin mostly let haters talk smack, make personal attacks to the players. I was banned recently and no clue why. When they ban you you can't access the site at all, just get a "you not allowed" "error".
ffxivlounge.ning.com is ok actually. not highly active but less venmon
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#49 Nov 13 2010 at 6:01 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
Bluegartr
Oh lawdy. I haven't been to BG since release, but I was active there for quite a while. If it's anything at all like it used to be, BG will eat OP alive.
I fail to see the problem.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#50 Nov 13 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#51 Nov 13 2010 at 10:15 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
Bluegartr


Oh lawdy. I haven't been to BG since release, but I was active there for quite a while. If it's anything at all like it used to be, BG will eat OP alive.


I come from PvP and FPS forums and tbh, I am just sick of the smack talk, I have no patience for it anymore like I used too. Problem here though is it's not smack talk, it's simply downright abuse of free speech. Which by the way has nothing to do with the rating system, what so ever.


Kachi wrote:
Ok, I'm just going to come out and say this. I am not really one to take notice of people's names. In fact, never in my history of posting here have I even used the handy feature that puts "So and so wrote" in the quotes. I generally just respond to what was said without any regard to who said it. So if I took note of your name, it was either because of something particularly good, or particularly bad. There are a few exceptions to the regulars, and by that I mean people I've seen around zam for a couple of years or so.

Taemek and HallieXIV are names that I have noted for not being intelligible or constructive posts. I absolutely will not give someone a hard time or even a ratedown for liking and defending the game. The simple fact that I recognize your names indicates to me that you've been habitually making posts that are rude or plain asinine, and even though some people have been downrated unfairly lately, I don't think your lack of scholar status can be attributed solely to trolls and haters.


You may want to do some back ground checks on your assumption there. I used to be a Zam premium member for years until I stopped playing Everquest 1 & 2.

Plain asinine you say? So, sharing my ingame experiences that are succesful for me (not only on one game, but across multiple MMORPG's) with other people hoping it helps them maybe improve thier gameplay and morale towards the game by using them as suggestions on how they might be able to improve themselves is plain asinine? Hmmmm, maybe you should read the context of a post before assuming things I would dare say.

The issue in this part of your post is you forgot to mention that when someone thinks they are right, no matter how well your word anything, they are going to think they are right and nothing you write will change that and your going to be taken offensively OR moronic and plain asinine because we simply don't share the same opinion, point of view OR experience ingame. This is called a difference in opinion, it's what makes us all unique and different, special if you will, without the ed. 8- )


Kachi wrote:
So this is not intended to be a personal attack, flame, or anything of the sort. This is just a friendly suggestion that maybe for some of you, it's not the site or the community, but the way you come across. I know it seems unfair that people on one side of the fence can rant and rave, while others are expected to disagree agreeably, but there you have it. Those people don't have to care about the community... they're already prepared to leave it. But you also have to notice that a lot of criticism has been fair and measured, and at worst hyperbolic or joking at the game's expense. People like myself who are highly displeased with the game but still want to discuss what exactly is wrong with it and see where it eventually goes... we're going to be around for a while. Several of us have been around for years, and this isn't the only forum on zam to visit. You don't have to agree with us, but save your disgust and contempt for the few people that go out of their way to be rude, not every person who vocally disagrees with you.


You can't simply tell us you have purposely *noted us for not being intelligible or constructive posts* and then say, *this isn't intended to be a personal attack*.....obviously, while your friendly suggesting that it may very well be our attitude towards some people, using it as a way to mask up the fact that you very well are, personally attacking us by singling us out, otherwise, you would of just used a generic saying *This is just a friendly suggestion that maybe some of you.....* and not called or singled out anyone in particular.

The thing you fail to understand is, again, there is a huge difference between discussion and just pure ranting for the sake of malice and destruction towards something. Yes some of you are displeased, we get it, we have read the threads, over and over again, like a bunch of broken records, BUT it doesn't hurt to try new things that the people who enjoy the game, suggest trying. If this is somehow taken out of context on some level I cannot comprehend and seen as the way we *vocally come across*, then I ask that people take a step back and re-read, closer between the lines or do you prepose we just submit to you because you for some reason think you are more superiour with your fancy speech and status that has yet to be knocked down like a title fight night. /queue rocky music.

Truth is Kachi, I don't know you nor do I truely care for you (just being honest), but I do know your types, word smiths with the act of looking intelligent without really reading the context of a post and skipping its whole meaning thinking it is nothing more then *plain asinine* because it doesn't agree with your opinion, period. Yes, if you haven't gathered by now, I take offence to what you said thus far and how you have said it without truely knowing what sort of person I am or my real meaning in my posts, hence the beginning of this thread to begin with in reguards to people who are not so constructive with their posts as you are, but with the exact same intent.

People in general are quick to judge in todays age, that much is known. This blankets peoples abilities to see things staring them in the face and they tend to look at the warts instead of the personality or expression within, which is what truely counts, my subtle but very vocal friend.


Kachi wrote:
Some people (like Hyanmen there) have lost their scholar status because they defend unpopular positions frequently and catch **** for it. I've certainly done the same many times in the past. But most of you who aren't brand new posters and don't have Scholar status honestly haven't earned it. Scholar comes easy... the fact that I have it is proof of that. Entire forums have tried to take it away from me, but the fact that even a quarter of my posts were constructive has meant that my karma score (which you can't see these days) has barely budged an inch. Almost all of my criticism of the game has been civil, and the one's that were overly harsh were rated down. I have disagreed with many people about the game, and while neither of us were on the same side, we are both rated up. So clearly this is not such a community of haters.


I've never been a scholar so I fail to see the point of you beating your chest telling us how easy it is to get it or how you have fended of hordes of angry posters who have somehow not been able to karma bomb you, nor do I care for the rating system here because when things are left upto the community to police itself, well, we know how well the human race polices itself, dont we.

I agree, it would be easy to get scholar, I could easily jump into all the threads that are haters towards the current game design and flame away and get rated up, np. Then on the back foot, double back and goto all the ones saying good things and post good things in those and get rated up also, not hard at all.


Kachi wrote:
Criticism and skepticism don't equate to whining, and some of the worst whiners have been the ones whining about all the whining... which hasn't been whining at all. People also aren't receptive to rude and condescending remarks regardless of which side you take. Keep these things in mind, and maybe reread your posts the next time you're about to hit the "Post Message" button.


I truely don't think we need a lesson from your behavioural psyhcology book in regards of how to interact with people over the internet when emotions or tones are not present.

People ethier have reading comprehension issues or they don't, period. Something I see lacking in alot of the younger generation these days. Maybe they should spend more time reading books then playing video games, it might just help them a little on how to percieve peoples tones and emotions via words instead of videos/VOIP programs instead.

If I have offended you in anyway or manner Kachi I am sorry, if I have taken you out of context in anyway Kachi, again, sorry. If I have misread anything you have said, again, sorry. After all, we are only human, correct? Handling constructive criticism has never been one of humanities strong suits, however, it is one of mine when rightfully required of me to do so, which is not one of these times I am afraid. Just being honest.

Yes, I double read and triple read this post before hitting submit.


Edited, Nov 13th 2010 11:24pm by Taemek
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)