Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Notification of Free Trial Period EndingFollow

#52 Nov 15 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
I'm in for the long haul. FFXIV is SE's latest baby, and I want to see their little girl grow up. SE might have had a bit of a history with poor FFXI updates, but none of them changed the fact that it's an amazing MMO and has some of the best stories of any online game I've played. I don't regret any of the time I spent playing it, even if they never did give me a pink chocobo!

FFXIV is a fun game, and at this crucial stage it needs our support to become even better. Once the bugs are dealt with and the UI overhauled, this game can show off its true colours as a competitor to the big name MMOs. World of Warcraft's days are numbered.


Please please dont tell me you think at any point FFXIV will beat or even contend with WoW.


Look, I dislike WoW for many, many reasons... but that's just delusional. It'd be like saying that since the new mega-church was announced, Scientology is going to be more popular than Christianity.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#53 Nov 15 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.


Just being honest - I happen to be one of those fans who actually is old enough to have been around for that Hail Mary game that saved the original company. However, just because I enjoyed many of their titles throughout most of my life, doesn't mean that it's my responsibility to continue to pay them while they develop something that is currently in a difficult to use state and should still be in Beta.

You just have far too much anger at people who are looking at things from a rational standpoint I think. Your entire post is insulting and rooted in idealism rather than realism. Who are you to say I am not a fan? No one in this forum should have to defend their love of FF to anyone else, least of all you.

The game is sure to improve, but the fact of the matter is that they will be forced to improve it whether I give them 12 bucks this month or not. If I don't give them 12 bucks this month, they might even have more incentive because now they know that there's work to be done to win me back.

Being a fan does not mean that you continue to pay for a lackluster and incomplete product just because they slapped a certain label on it. It means that something brings you enjoyment and entertainment in life. Once it stops being enjoyable and entertaining, folks move on to something else. It doesn't mean that I'm not a fan in general and I won't buy the next rehash of FFVII, it just means that this particular product didn't live up to my expectations as a lifelong fan of the franchise and I would have to see major improvements before packing it up in XI and moving over to the new game.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:27pm by Torrence
#54 Nov 15 2010 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else think this email will incite a mass cancellation?


I can't see why this Email really changes anything. CE users signed up two months ago. We were given two months of free game play. The two months is now almost up. Seems straightforward enough to me?



The game came with one free month. Then SE granted us another free month based on acknowledgement of their bad product. Since the product is still bad, some people assumed that another free month (or more) might ensue. The email confirms that is not the case and will result in immediate cancellations.

If SE had extended the free trial into December I would have had the opportunity to see if the updates changed things enough to make the game fun for me. However, I refuse to pay more of my money to them on the outside chance that those updates make the game fun to play. If the feedback from the updates are raving, then I can always re-subscribe.

Personally, I felt the updates were necessary stricly from a functionality standpoint. I epxected those to come one way or antother. The let down is the lack of content, which isn't being adressed anytime soon apparently.
#55 Nov 15 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
It absolutely floors me that SE can make this many bad financial decisions. So let me get this straight. We got a free extra month of play because they realized how unfinished their game is currently. In that free month, the game has not improved at all. Now they want us to pay for things that aren't even implemented yet? Sure they gave us this schedule and dangled that carrot, but there's only so many times I'll bite as they snatch it away. Sorry, I will be cancelling my subscription until there is an update. As will pretty much everyone I know who is playing.

SE, you easily just lost 50% of your paying customers, probably 25% of which will never come back. To me, that is a MASSIVE financial blunder that rivals them releasing the game too early... and this is coming from one of the few that even ENJOY the game.
Quote:

I am confused.

Your telling me that you would rather save 12 dollars then spend the 12 dollars and see if the patches make a difference or are you asking for another 30 days free on top of the previous 60 days free you have already been given to use it as a preview for the up and coming patches for Nov/Dec at which point when it comes around to Dec updates, you will try pull this stunt again for another 30 days free claiming it's not fair?

After spending all this time backing this product over the years during development, the very least you can do is just give them 12 dollars and see if the updates please you or pull the product around into your expectations and start to show strong signs of future success. If it doesn't, unsubscribe. What have you lost? 12 bux, big deal, it is still the cheapest form of entertainment you can get on the face of the planet and if it turns out great, you will thank yourself for sticking around. I'd be willing to bet that those who say they are quitting now and never coming back will come back in a few weeks after the patches, I'd go one further and say that those who quit now, will return when it is released on PS3 and they sell millions upon millions of copies and there is copius amounts of people to play with on such a scale that getting groups will simply not be an issue.

Imho, and I am going to be harsh here, if this is what the *so-called* FF fans have to offer, I am glad you guys are unsubbing now and hope you never come back. Fans tend to stick by thier products through thick and thin. The game hasn't even been out for 2 months and most of the *so-called* fans seemed to have bailed out within the first month. What kind of fans are you? Imagine how many dollars people waste in real life on sports teams that go through severe losing streaks for years on end, some even decades, yet they still stick by them through think, thin, rain, hail or shine. Some people go as far as to buy life time tickets and guess what, they can't get thier money back, all they can do is sell them off. (I am sure there is some bs clause people can spin to get thier money back on life time tickets, but I know alot are not refundable)

Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I take strong offence being thrown into the same catergory as the *so-called* fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.

Just being honest.


I literally LOL'd after I read this post. Really?

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:43pm by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#56 Nov 15 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.


Just being honest - I happen to be one of those fans who actually is old enough to have been around for that Hail Mary game that saved the original company. However, just because I enjoyed many of their titles throughout most of my life, doesn't mean that it's my responsibility to continue to pay them while they develop something that is currently in a difficult to use state and should still be in Beta.

You just have far too much anger at people who are looking at things from a rational standpoint I think. Your entire post is insulting and rooted in idealism rather than realism. Who are you to say I am not a fan? No one in this forum should have to defend their love of FF to anyone else, least of all you.

The game is sure to improve, but the fact of the matter is that they will be forced to improve it whether I give them 12 bucks this month or not. If I don't give them 12 bucks this month, they might even have more incentive because now they know that there's work to be done to win me back.

Being a fan does not mean that you continue to pay for a lackluster and incomplete product just because they slapped a certain label on it. It means that something brings you enjoyment and entertainment in life. Once it stops being enjoyable and entertaining, folks move on to something else. It doesn't mean that I'm not a fan in general and I won't buy the next rehash of FFVII, it just means that this particular product didn't live up to my expectations as a lifelong fan of the franchise and I would have to see major improvements before packing it up in XI and moving over to the new game.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:27pm by Torrence


No offence Torrence (as I tend to agree with you on most things) but that blatant, irrational, fanboyism did NOT deserve the response you gave it.
#57 Nov 15 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I'll be canceling the second character I bought, as I found that I just simply do not log on to that one. Ever. :( I figure that money is better spent buying three more retainers when that capability comes in. lolpackrat
____________________________
Yum-Yum Bento Box | Pikko Pots | Adventures in Bentomaking

Twitter


[ffxivsig]277809[/ffxivsig]
#58 Nov 15 2010 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I am beyond baffled that they're not extending the free trial. Extend the CE people to the 21st of December, get your major updates out by then, and hopefully get us on for the long haul. Now, most people will cancel, wait for the 2 updates to come, and possibly read up on if they were good. Some people might just give up entirely and not even bother coming back to read up on this stuff. I think they're going to lose more people doing it this way in the long run, but, maybe they've simply given up on PC users and are banking on the ps3 population.

I mean, if you want to make your case, simply cancel, and if you like what you read, re-activate it. At least that way, they get the initial blow of everyone canceling and receive the message loud and clear that crap won't be tolerated.


Sadly, I've always thought we pc users were the trial run before the real release for PS3 players next year. I canceled my acct over a month ago, but I'm not going to take the game off my pc until/when they've patched & fixed enough for me to make a totally final decision.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#59 Nov 15 2010 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Kierk wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.


Just being honest - I happen to be one of those fans who actually is old enough to have been around for that Hail Mary game that saved the original company. However, just because I enjoyed many of their titles throughout most of my life, doesn't mean that it's my responsibility to continue to pay them while they develop something that is currently in a difficult to use state and should still be in Beta.

You just have far too much anger at people who are looking at things from a rational standpoint I think. Your entire post is insulting and rooted in idealism rather than realism. Who are you to say I am not a fan? No one in this forum should have to defend their love of FF to anyone else, least of all you.

The game is sure to improve, but the fact of the matter is that they will be forced to improve it whether I give them 12 bucks this month or not. If I don't give them 12 bucks this month, they might even have more incentive because now they know that there's work to be done to win me back.

Being a fan does not mean that you continue to pay for a lackluster and incomplete product just because they slapped a certain label on it. It means that something brings you enjoyment and entertainment in life. Once it stops being enjoyable and entertaining, folks move on to something else. It doesn't mean that I'm not a fan in general and I won't buy the next rehash of FFVII, it just means that this particular product didn't live up to my expectations as a lifelong fan of the franchise and I would have to see major improvements before packing it up in XI and moving over to the new game.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:27pm by Torrence


No offence Torrence (as I tend to agree with you on most things) but that blatant, irrational, fanboyism did NOT deserve the response you gave it.


I'm curious to know why you didn't think it deserved the response Torrence gave? I thought the response was pretty dead on accurate.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#60Taemek, Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 1:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You took my point out of context.
#61 Nov 15 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
BartelX wrote:


I'm curious to know why you didn't think it deserved the response Torrence gave? I thought the response was pretty dead on accurate.


Oh I thought Torrence's response was fine, but I just didn't see the point in Torrence trying to rationalize with someone who had such an irrational statement.
#62 Nov 15 2010 at 1:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
BartelIX wrote:
I'm curious to know why you didn't think it deserved the response Torrence gave? I thought the response was pretty dead on accurate.


I took it as a compliment, actually. Read it a couple more times, and you will "get" it.

Edit: and he's right, some folks just cannot be reasoned with. However, I do wish to try because at the end of the day, we all coexist here at these forums. It would be nice if we could all do it with just a tad more objectivity.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:58pm by Torrence
#63 Nov 15 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Mithsavvy wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else think this email will incite a mass cancellation?


I can't see why this Email really changes anything. CE users signed up two months ago. We were given two months of free game play. The two months is now almost up. Seems straightforward enough to me?



The game came with one free month. Then SE granted us another free month based on acknowledgement of their bad product. Since the product is still bad, some people assumed that another free month (or more) might ensue. The email confirms that is not the case and will result in immediate cancellations.
*snip*


I get what you're saying here. However, a lot of you guys don't seem to realize just how exceedingly rare it is for any MMO to ever extend the free trial period. Even one month is almost unheard of. This is the first I've ever heard of any company doing this, and I've been through a good deal of MMO launches in my day. I'm not making any claim on the current state of the game or anything here, just saying... I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.
____________________________
XIV Campsite Wikibase - Community Built Camp List
[ffxivsig]400681[/ffxivsig]
#64Taemek, Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 1:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Sigh.......when ever some tries to have a debate or talk constructively or just talk and they don't agree with peoples opinions or views, they are obviously, irrational, egotistical, moronic and just plain asinine.
#65 Nov 15 2010 at 1:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
186 posts
Taemek wrote:
I am confused.

Your telling me that you would rather save 12 dollars then spend the 12 dollars and see if the patches make a difference or are you asking for another 30 days free on top of the previous 60 days free you have already been given to use it as a preview for the up and coming patches for Nov/Dec at which point when it comes around to Dec updates, you will try pull this stunt again for another 30 days free claiming it's not fair?

After spending all this time backing this product over the years during development, the very least you can do is just give them 12 dollars and see if the updates please you or pull the product around into your expectations and start to show strong signs of future success. If it doesn't, unsubscribe. What have you lost? 12 bux, big deal, it is still the cheapest form of entertainment you can get on the face of the planet and if it turns out great, you will thank yourself for sticking around. I'd be willing to bet that those who say they are quitting now and never coming back will come back in a few weeks after the patches, I'd go one further and say that those who quit now, will return when it is released on PS3 and they sell millions upon millions of copies and there is copius amounts of people to play with on such a scale that getting groups will simply not be an issue.

Imho, and I am going to be harsh here, if this is what the *so-called* FF fans have to offer, I am glad you guys are unsubbing now and hope you never come back. Fans tend to stick by thier products through thick and thin. The game hasn't even been out for 2 months and most of the *so-called* fans seemed to have bailed out within the first month. What kind of fans are you? Imagine how many dollars people waste in real life on sports teams that go through severe losing streaks for years on end, some even decades, yet they still stick by them through think, thin, rain, hail or shine. Some people go as far as to buy life time tickets and guess what, they can't get thier money back, all they can do is sell them off. (I am sure there is some bs clause people can spin to get thier money back on life time tickets, but I know alot are not refundable)

Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I take strong offence being thrown into the same catergory as the *so-called* fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.

Just being honest.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:19pm by Taemek


So since 12 dollars is just a drop in the bucket to you, how about you pay for my subscription?
Oh, and it would actually be 13.99 since I have a retainer.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:01pm by LordAshal
#66 Nov 15 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else think this email will incite a mass cancellation?


I can't see why this Email really changes anything. CE users signed up two months ago. We were given two months of free game play. The two months is now almost up. Seems straightforward enough to me?



The game came with one free month. Then SE granted us another free month based on acknowledgement of their bad product. Since the product is still bad, some people assumed that another free month (or more) might ensue. The email confirms that is not the case and will result in immediate cancellations.
*snip*


I get what you're saying here. However, a lot of you guys don't seem to realize just how exceedingly rare it is for any MMO to ever extend the free trial period. Even one month is almost unheard of. This is the first I've ever heard of any company doing this, and I've been through a good deal of MMO launches in my day. I'm not making any claim on the current state of the game or anything here, just saying... I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.


I have never in my 15+ years of online gaming ever heard of a game that extended its free play time ethier. You ethier liked it or lumped it until you liked it.
#67 Nov 15 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.


I tend to agree with you - but I still wish that they had rolled out a few more fixes than just renaming the market wards before the trial was due to be up. It feels like it still has the same issues and this plan layout is just to entice folks to turn those subs back on. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

#68Taemek, Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 2:01 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Do you smoke, drink or eat junk food?
#69 Nov 15 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
186 posts
Taemek wrote:
LordAshal wrote:
Taemek wrote:
I am confused.

Your telling me that you would rather save 12 dollars then spend the 12 dollars and see if the patches make a difference or are you asking for another 30 days free on top of the previous 60 days free you have already been given to use it as a preview for the up and coming patches for Nov/Dec at which point when it comes around to Dec updates, you will try pull this stunt again for another 30 days free claiming it's not fair?

After spending all this time backing this product over the years during development, the very least you can do is just give them 12 dollars and see if the updates please you or pull the product around into your expectations and start to show strong signs of future success. If it doesn't, unsubscribe. What have you lost? 12 bux, big deal, it is still the cheapest form of entertainment you can get on the face of the planet and if it turns out great, you will thank yourself for sticking around. I'd be willing to bet that those who say they are quitting now and never coming back will come back in a few weeks after the patches, I'd go one further and say that those who quit now, will return when it is released on PS3 and they sell millions upon millions of copies and there is copius amounts of people to play with on such a scale that getting groups will simply not be an issue.

Imho, and I am going to be harsh here, if this is what the *so-called* FF fans have to offer, I am glad you guys are unsubbing now and hope you never come back. Fans tend to stick by thier products through thick and thin. The game hasn't even been out for 2 months and most of the *so-called* fans seemed to have bailed out within the first month. What kind of fans are you? Imagine how many dollars people waste in real life on sports teams that go through severe losing streaks for years on end, some even decades, yet they still stick by them through think, thin, rain, hail or shine. Some people go as far as to buy life time tickets and guess what, they can't get thier money back, all they can do is sell them off. (I am sure there is some bs clause people can spin to get thier money back on life time tickets, but I know alot are not refundable)

Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I take strong offence being thrown into the same catergory as the *so-called* fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.

Just being honest.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:19pm by Taemek


So since 12 dollars is just a drop in the bucket to you, how about you pay for my subscription?


Do you smoke, drink or eat junk food?

Give one up, its killing you anyway and it's not hard to save $2.50 a day from giving one of these up, preferablly junk food.


So that's a no then?
#70Taemek, Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 2:08 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Your very observent, but I did however give you a suggestion on how to save $2.50 a day.
#71 Nov 15 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
186 posts
Taemek wrote:
LordAshal wrote:
LordAshal wrote:
Taemek wrote:

So since 12 dollars is just a drop in the bucket to you, how about you pay for my subscription?


Do you smoke, drink or eat junk food?

Give one up, its killing you anyway and it's not hard to save $2.50 a day from giving one of these up, preferablly junk food.


So that's a no then?


Your very observent, but I did however gave you a suggestion on how to save $2.50 a day.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:09pm by Taemek


I guess 13.99 isn't a drop in the bucket then, huh?
#72 Nov 15 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Actually Taemek, I think you are kind of missing people's points. SE gave us a free month because they admitted that the game was not finished. In the last month they haven't improved the game (iirc, market wards change happened before the 22nd of Oct) in any form. Yes I realize those changes are coming, but I was also told during the Beta that the game would be so much improved for release, and it wasn't.

You see, when a company pulls the wool over its customers eyes, the customers tend to get upset and lose faith/trust in said company. It's basically the reverse of customer loyalty. So when they then tell us all these updates are coming, yet still do not release an ACTUAL date for them, and then expect us to once again pay for what they are promising us, it becomes difficult for people to be willing to shell out money. The "It's only 12 bucks!" is just so weak. Although 12 bucks isn't a lot, I've already dished out 80 bucks for the CE version (no I will not include the new computer I bought as it would be ridiculous to say that I ONLY use ffxiv on the computer, however I would have spent FAR less were it not for FFXIV). I payed for a completed game and what I got was a husk. So no, I won't give them my 12 bucks. You can rant about how I'm not a true fan all you want. If not dishing out money for false promises keeps me from being a fan... well, I guess I'm not a fan then.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#73 Nov 15 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
72 posts
You canceled because the free period is ending and you received an E-Mail to that affect ? Sorry but that makes no sense unless you were using a "Buddy Pass".

I for one knew during Beta that I would be playing beyond the "free play" period. Pardon me but I think you are "Hoping" that a riot occurs, LOL.
#74 Nov 15 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else think this email will incite a mass cancellation?


I can't see why this Email really changes anything. CE users signed up two months ago. We were given two months of free game play. The two months is now almost up. Seems straightforward enough to me?



The game came with one free month. Then SE granted us another free month based on acknowledgement of their bad product. Since the product is still bad, some people assumed that another free month (or more) might ensue. The email confirms that is not the case and will result in immediate cancellations.
*snip*


I get what you're saying here. However, a lot of you guys don't seem to realize just how exceedingly rare it is for any MMO to ever extend the free trial period. Even one month is almost unheard of. This is the first I've ever heard of any company doing this, and I've been through a good deal of MMO launches in my day. I'm not making any claim on the current state of the game or anything here, just saying... I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.

We'll never know how many people would have left and how many would have stayed once that 30 days was up. Maybe it was cheaper in the long run to give an additional 30 days than it was to deal with people leaving and the bad press. Reading about it, it sounds like the list they released last week already had some people who canceled resubscribing. If there hadn't been another 30 days they likely wouldn't have been around this month anyhow. It's all speculation.
#75 Nov 15 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
BartelX wrote:
Actually Taemek, I think you are kind of missing people's points. SE gave us a free month because they admitted that the game was not finished. In the last month they haven't improved the game (iirc, market wards change happened before the 22nd of Oct) in any form. Yes I realize those changes are coming, but I was also told during the Beta that the game would be so much improved for release, and it wasn't.

You see, when a company pulls the wool over its customers eyes, the customers tend to get upset and lose faith/trust in said company. It's basically the reverse of customer loyalty. So when they then tell us all these updates are coming, yet still do not release an ACTUAL date for them, and then expect us to once again pay for what they are promising us, it becomes difficult for people to be willing to shell out money. The "It's only 12 bucks!" is just so weak. Although 12 bucks isn't a lot, I've already dished out 80 bucks for the CE version (no I will not include the new computer I bought as it would be ridiculous to say that I ONLY use ffxiv on the computer, however I would have spent FAR less were it not for FFXIV). I payed for a completed game and what I got was a husk. So no, I won't give them my 12 bucks. You can rant about how I'm not a true fan all you want. If not dishing out money for false promises keeps me from being a fan... well, I guess I'm not a fan then.


I get the point, we all get the point. Your point has been made and heard and acted upon by the powers that be, your doing nothing but beating a dead horse, I don't think there is any horse left to be honest.

My point is a simple one you don't seem to be able to grasp. Your point was heard, they acted upon it and gave you an extra 30 days free while they worked on something. Just because they didn't officily give you the patche notes on the day of the outcry, doesn't mean it wasn't heard.

Now that your point has been heard and they are pushing to get it released, which has to go through a process and is starting to be implemented at the end of Nov and looking to follow through to March next year, you all seem to be getting cold feet for some reason I will never know and *irrationally* (used in its correct context) jumping ship with only like a week or so to go before they start releasing these patches that you all so desperately wanted. Does this kind of make any sense to you at all? Let's also not forget to add in that SE done something that no other gaming company in the history of MMORPG's that use a subscription base model has ever done, 60 days free at the start? huzzah....and let me tell you, i have played alot of MMO's that have had a release far worse then FFXIV thats for sure and still had to pay to continue, hoping for updates that never came. At least here they have acknowledged you.

You did how ever prove my whole point in this post, customers. Exactly, as I said, fans tend to ride the boat until thrown out of it until they can't bare to hold on any longer or they are cut loose, customers tend to jump ship asap. Most of the people here claiming to be fans, are nothing more then customers. Contary to belief here, I understand all too well.

Is there light at the end of the preverbial tunnel? At the moment, it would seem there is, so why not see for yourself? Afterall, haven't you guys earned it after being heard by a company some would portray as not listening to their customer base?

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:30pm by Taemek

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:33pm by Taemek
#76 Nov 15 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
17 posts
13 dollars is nothing, you poor peasants need to man up and give SE your money. SE doesn't earn your money- you earn the privilege to give SE money. Only traitors would bail so easily- a true fan bows down to the Sephiroth statue in his basement and offers up a prayer of thanks for the coming updates and pays for two accounts.

13 bucks is nothing, but don't ask me to pay for your subscription.
#77 Nov 15 2010 at 2:31 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
goomba666 wrote:
13 dollars is nothing, you poor peasants need to man up and give SE your money. SE doesn't earn your money- you earn the privilege to give SE money. Only traitors would bail so easily- a true fan bows down to the Sephiroth statue in his basement and offers up a prayer of thanks for the coming updates and pays for two accounts.

13 bucks is nothing, but don't ask me to pay for your subscription.


ROFL....I would so rate this up all day long if I could.

5 satrs for this. /thumbs up.
#78 Nov 15 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
Taemek wrote:
You did how ever prove my whole point in this post, customers. Exactly, as I said, fans tend to ride the boat until thrown out of it until they can't bare to hold on any longer or they are cut loose, customers tend to jump ship asap. Most of the people here claiming to be fans, are nothing more then customers. Contary to belief here, I understand all too well.
Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:33pm by Taemek


Fair Weather Fan
A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

Just change the sports theme to video games...



Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:54pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#79 Nov 15 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

I get what you're saying here. However, a lot of you guys don't seem to realize just how exceedingly rare it is for any MMO to ever extend the free trial period. Even one month is almost unheard of. This is the first I've ever heard of any company doing this, and I've been through a good deal of MMO launches in my day. I'm not making any claim on the current state of the game or anything here, just saying... I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.


I'll answer that for you Osarion. How often have you ever seen anyone from a company such as President Wada himself admitting to the game not living up to standards. It should be common sense why SE extended the trial play. The truth is that FFXIV's terrible low ratings didn't help much and of course don't forget all the player complaints and of course word of mouth. I'm dumbfounded so many of our Admins can't see to comprehend this truth on the forums. Are are you guys on the payroll now you can't be impartial? In all honesty, you shouldn't be shocked at all. If FFXIV wasn't a such an epic failure at launch, there wouldn't of been the need for additional trial time in the first place. The fact that SE is unveiling these new patches attempting to get the game back on track at the same time they plan to charge for service just sums up their motives.

The bottom line is until FFXIV is "finished" and playable by the majority of subscribers, there shouldn't be any charge at all. The very fact that were "beta" testing these patches now put such an awful taste in my mouth that I'm done with the game no matter what they do. If the game wasn't ready for subscription(as indicated by the Beta news), SE should of held it back as Bioware did with their Star Wars MMO. Instead SE rushed it out to the market and screwed over all these people forcing them to upgrade their rigs to play the **** game in the first place. Well I said what I has to say, I'm hopeful most people will agree with me.

edit: typos

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:47pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#80 Nov 15 2010 at 3:06 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

I get what you're saying here. However, a lot of you guys don't seem to realize just how exceedingly rare it is for any MMO to ever extend the free trial period. Even one month is almost unheard of. This is the first I've ever heard of any company doing this, and I've been through a good deal of MMO launches in my day. I'm not making any claim on the current state of the game or anything here, just saying... I was shocked to see SE give us another free month. I don't think expecting another is reasonable, if for no other reason that it just doesn't happen in the MMO world.


I'll answer that for you Osarion. How often have you ever seem anyone from a company such as President Wada himself admitting to the game not living up to standards. It should be common sense why SE extended the trial play. The truth is that FFXIV's terrible low ratings didn't help much and of course don't forget all the player complaints and of course word of mouth. I'm dumbfounded so many of our Admins can't see to comprehend this truth on the forums. Are are you guys on the payroll now you can't be impartial? In all honesty, you shouldn't be shocked at all. If FFXIV wasn't a such an epic failure at launch, there wouldn't of been the need for additional trial time in the first place. The fact that SE is unveiling these new patches attempting to get the game back on track at the same time they plan to charge for service just sums up their motives.

The bottom line is until FFXIV is "finished" and playable by the majority of subscribers, there shouldn't be any charge at all. The very fact that were "beta" testing these patches now put such an awful taste in my mouth that I'm done with the game no matter what they do. If the game wasn't ready for subscription(as indicated by the Beta news), SE should of held it back as Bioware did with their Star Wars MMO. Instead SE rushed it out to the market and screwed over all these people forcing them to upgrade their rigs to play the **** game in the first place. Well I said what I has to say, I'm hopeful most people will agree with me.

edit: typos

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:58pm by ShadowedgeFFXI



Brad McQuaid, CEO of the company that created Vanguard, publicly announced the same thing Wada did, well, not the *same* thing.

Some time later, his company folded and SoE's CEO who was a long time friend of Brads who both worked on the creation of Everquest 1 together, saved the title by picking up the peices.

I can say though, I only know of one.
#81 Nov 15 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Excellent
19 posts
Taemek wrote:
Secondly, speaking about being rational. Why on god's green earth would anyone in thier right frame of mind spend years upon years following the development of a title only to shoot from the hip and literally rage quit in the first month? Constructive feedback is always helpful regardless of wether people think they have been heard or not.
Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:05pm by Taemek

Honestly speaking, I think if you reread your statement about "true fans", you'd see that's about the only thing that deserves to be associated with rage.

Others can argue that someone who patiently waited years for this game while following it only to quit after the first month is making a much more powerful statement to Square Enix. How?

Well, you certainly cannot be happy with 50% of the things in the game thus far, yet you logged in probably everyday for hours playing simply because of 'loyalty'. You didn't want people to embarrass your game (or you) for liking the title, so you continued to play it. Even though you probably were more unhappy if you're being honest.

Whereas a 'true fan', immediately quit rather than to treat SE like some enabled drunken family member to pretend that this kind of corporate behavior was okay. Those fans that quit refuses to give SE the idea that this was acceptable on any level, and what was the response?

SE comes out with a page and a half of "proposed" changes to make things right. If 'true fans' were like you, SE would never have felt a need to A: give free time from the start (treating you like a Warhammer Online or AoC fan) and B: never put a rush on these changes.

I'm glad most fans aren't "true fans" like you who support things blindly with attaboys on SE's back when a swift kick in the rear was what was necessary for them to react.
#82 Nov 15 2010 at 3:13 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
22 posts
Meh gotta love this you get no notification and people will complain saying that the company should of let me know that the trial was ending. Yet when they do give a notification you still complain. But thats just life you can't please everyone.

Back to the OP question I don't think the email will mean much to most people. At most it will be the breaking point for most people. Those who are cancelling because of this email were going to cancel anyhow just a matter of when not why.

I for one don't see this game being like APB because there are just to many people who either just like the extremly boring grind. Or those who are like me hoping that the game will get better. Eitherway there will always be new suckers willing to give this game a go.

To those cancelling just think of it as saving yourself money/pain from the torture of grinding. I on the other hand will endure a little longer .... well until the final patch from nov/dec if no patches are released by Christmas I'll be cancelling myself. For me right now the biggest pain is searching for items is killing me. Everything else I can put up with but I refuse to spend more then 10min in each freaken ward just to find mats to fix my gear with.
#83 Nov 15 2010 at 3:22 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
sadderpanda wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Secondly, speaking about being rational. Why on god's green earth would anyone in thier right frame of mind spend years upon years following the development of a title only to shoot from the hip and literally rage quit in the first month? Constructive feedback is always helpful regardless of wether people think they have been heard or not.
Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:05pm by Taemek

Honestly speaking, I think if you reread your statement about "true fans", you'd see that's about the only thing that deserves to be associated with rage.

Others can argue that someone who patiently waited years for this game while following it only to quit after the first month is making a much more powerful statement to Square Enix. How?

Well, you certainly cannot be happy with 50% of the things in the game thus far, yet you logged in probably everyday for hours playing simply because of 'loyalty'. You didn't want people to embarrass your game (or you) for liking the title, so you continued to play it. Even though you probably were more unhappy if you're being honest.

Whereas a 'true fan', immediately quit rather than to treat SE like some enabled drunken family member to pretend that this kind of corporate behavior was okay. Those fans that quit refuses to give SE the idea that this was acceptable on any level, and what was the response?

SE comes out with a page and a half of "proposed" changes to make things right. If 'true fans' were like you, SE would never have felt a need to A: give free time from the start (treating you like a Warhammer Online or AoC fan) and B: never put a rush on these changes.

I'm glad most fans aren't "true fans" like you who support things blindly with attaboys on SE's back when a swift kick in the rear was what was necessary for them to react.


The point your trying to make fits this to a T:


TwistedOwl wrote:

Fair Weather Fan
A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

Just change the sports theme to video games...

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:54pm by TwistedOwl



As to why I am playing, sure I am a avid Square Enix fan of many of thier titles. However, I play this game cause I still enjoy it.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:24pm by Taemek
#84 Nov 15 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Taemek wrote:
I am confused.



After spending all this time backing this product over the years during development, the very least you can do is just give them 12 dollars and see if the updates please you or pull the product around into your expectations and start to show strong signs of future success.


Um, no. I pay only for things that exist today, not the promises of tomorrow.

And I am a fan of Final Fantasy from day one, so you can stuff the whole "I'm a real fan, you're not" argument.

Taemek wrote:



TwistedOwl wrote:

Fair Weather Fan
A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

Just change the sports theme to video games...

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:54pm by TwistedOwl



As to why I am playing, sure I am a avid Square Enix fan of many of thier titles. However, I play this game cause I still enjoy it.


Sorry, the "fair weather fan" thing doesn't fly, or we'd have been gone at release. This is most definitely NOT the "first sign of trouble" with FFXIV, or SE for that matter.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:40pm by Zorvan
____________________________


[ffxivsig]1815523[/ffxivsig]
#85 Nov 15 2010 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
40 posts
I canceled on Saturday so I didn't see the email. Wasn't sure when the billing would start so had to make sure I was set to cancel in advance. Here's hoping they can make some major improvements to the game.

All other problems aside, one thing that really bothers me is that the game doesn't even resemble Final Fantasy aside from spell names for thm/cnj. I hope they make some drastic changes because I'd love to come back. I really want to play another good FF game.
____________________________
FFXIV - Rabanastre - Fisherman
FFXI - Leviathan - 75 Beastmaster /37 NIN/40 THF/40 BLU
#86 Nov 15 2010 at 4:53 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,261 posts
I'm a fan of Final Fantasy so I'll play Final Fantasy games. So far this is a generic RPG game that has the title of Final Fantasy slapped onto it. Even Final Fantasy XI was outside of the traditional Final Fantasy element, but it did have some of the more major characteristics of Final Fantasy included.

When I think of Final Fantasy, I think of Cid, Chocobos, Airships, Black Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, etc. Some of which are slated to be released for this game, but are not available yet. The jobs on the other hand, unfortunately are something we'll probably never see. The current classes offered in FFXIV just seem lacking in my opinion; every class is a homogenized blend that doesn't give me that warm nostalgic feeling that I got even when playing FFXI.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 3:55pm by JaduFenrir
#87 Nov 15 2010 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
JaduFenrir wrote:
I'm a fan of Final Fantasy so I'll play Final Fantasy games. So far this is a generic RPG game that has the title of Final Fantasy slapped onto it. Even Final Fantasy XI was outside of the traditional Final Fantasy element, but it did have some of the more major characteristics of Final Fantasy included.

When I think of Final Fantasy, I think of Cid, Chocobos, Airships, Black Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, etc. The current classes offered in FFXIV are lacking in my opinion; every class is a homogenized blend that doesn't give me that warm nostalgic feeling that I got when playing FFXI.


I think that's part of the problem. SE is trying to reinvent the wheel within their own franchise and it isn't working. The first major sign I noticed was the change of the moogles in FFTA and FFXII. As a long dedicated fan going back to the FF1(NES, not emulated roms), I'm at a loss for words where FFXIV fits in the FF universe. I feel as you do that FFXIV is a generic rpg with the FF brand tacked on it to sell copies. The only saving grace is the music, but that's just not enough for me anymore. I applaud SE for trying to do something different with the classes though. It was a good idea, just poorly executed.
#88 Nov 15 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Excellent
28 posts
Taemek wrote:
I am confused.

Your telling me that you would rather save 12 dollars then spend the 12 dollars and see if the patches make a difference or are you asking for another 30 days free on top of the previous 60 days free you have already been given to use it as a preview for the up and coming patches for Nov/Dec at which point when it comes around to Dec updates, you will try pull this stunt again for another 30 days free claiming it's not fair?

After spending all this time backing this product over the years during development, the very least you can do is just give them 12 dollars and see if the updates please you or pull the product around into your expectations and start to show strong signs of future success. If it doesn't, unsubscribe. What have you lost? 12 bux, big deal, it is still the cheapest form of entertainment you can get on the face of the planet and if it turns out great, you will thank yourself for sticking around. I'd be willing to bet that those who say they are quitting now and never coming back will come back in a few weeks after the patches, I'd go one further and say that those who quit now, will return when it is released on PS3 and they sell millions upon millions of copies and there is copius amounts of people to play with on such a scale that getting groups will simply not be an issue.

Imho, and I am going to be harsh here, if this is what the *so-called* FF fans have to offer, I am glad you guys are unsubbing now and hope you never come back. Fans tend to stick by thier products through thick and thin. The game hasn't even been out for 2 months and most of the *so-called* fans seemed to have bailed out within the first month. What kind of fans are you? Imagine how many dollars people waste in real life on sports teams that go through severe losing streaks for years on end, some even decades, yet they still stick by them through think, thin, rain, hail or shine. Some people go as far as to buy life time tickets and guess what, they can't get thier money back, all they can do is sell them off. (I am sure there is some bs clause people can spin to get thier money back on life time tickets, but I know alot are not refundable)

Most of the people who have bailed aren't true fans, your nothing more then disgruntled customers, period. Stop throwing the word *fan* around as if you have been playing this series since NES days back in 1980's, because I am one of those sick-a-fans and I take strong offence being thrown into the same catergory as the *so-called* fans and I am going to pay 12 bux to see what the patches bring.

Just being honest.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 2:19pm by Taemek


This post reminds me of rabid Cavs/Browns/Name-an-Ohio-sports-team fans hahah! Always saying "this-year-is/last-year-was-supposed-to-be our year".
#89 Nov 15 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Zorvan wrote:

Sorry, the "fair weather fan" thing doesn't fly, or we'd have been gone at release. This is most definitely NOT the "first sign of trouble" with FFXIV, or SE for that matter.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:40pm by Zorvan


Technically speaking, the game is still in it's release state and according to most here, majority of you have left.
#90 Nov 15 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Taemek wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Sorry, the "fair weather fan" thing doesn't fly, or we'd have been gone at release. This is most definitely NOT the "first sign of trouble" with FFXIV, or SE for that matter.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:40pm by Zorvan


Technically speaking, the game is still in it's release state and according to most here, majority of you have left.


Technically speaking, the game has a few months to go before it is in its release state, and yet I've already paid $150 for two copies.

You can say that "no other MMORPG has ever extended its free trial period" but I'd have to counter with the fact that no other MMORPG has ever charged its players to play a game of beta quality. In terms of this game's features, it is still in beta in all aspects except that it is on shelves.

It's one thing to be a fan of a company and to be a loyal customer, but it's another entirely to start paying to continue beta testing a game, especially considering that the current situation is "We promise to fix it, but you'll have to cough up the cash for a month before you'll know if we did or not."

I thought the term was "try it before you buy it", not "buy it before you try it".

I'm -trying- to -force- myself to enjoy the game, but I just can't. Whenever I log on, I feel like the life has been sucked out of me. I have been looking forward to this game for years, reserved two copies of the collector's edition for myself and my fiancee, and whenever either of us log on, we can't go five minutes without wanting to play something else. Anything else. Anything at all.

I want to -want- to play the game. I remember when I played XI; when I'd stay up as late as I could, and as soon as I got home from college, then later work, I would hop on FFXI and waste away 6-12 hours a day ON AVERAGE (sometimes 20+ on weekends) playing a game I -LOVED-.

I -want- that out of FFXIV but it's just not giving it to me. Not unlike FFXIII, I find myself -forcing- myself to play a game that I just can not get in to.

I'm not going to rage and throw my box in the trash. I'm not going to post some video to youtube of myself smashing my CDs... Barring some magical changes between now and the 22nd, I'm probably just going to let my free trial lapse, uninstall the game, and go back to playing other things.

I'll still be around here, talking about the game, talking to all you nice forum folk, hoping for the day when I see this board flooded with "OMG FFXIV is ******* awesome!" because of how SE turned it around. Will that be in a month? Three months? Six months? A year? I don't know.

All I know is that I'll be back with my money once it is, and I'll be thrilled to play it, if they really have made it that much better. My only regret is that I don't know what day that will be so that I can mark it on my calendar.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#91 Nov 15 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
I was a FFXI fan but FFXIV cannot hold my interest in its current form because the UI is awful (my main gripe is the search). I'll quit until they get a better party search UI. It is an MMO afterall, and a bad party search UI negates every single thing in an MMO.
#92 Nov 15 2010 at 8:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Sorry, the "fair weather fan" thing doesn't fly, or we'd have been gone at release. This is most definitely NOT the "first sign of trouble" with FFXIV, or SE for that matter.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 4:40pm by Zorvan


Technically speaking, the game is still in it's release state and according to most here, majority of you have left.


Technically speaking, the game has a few months to go before it is in its release state, and yet I've already paid $150 for two copies.

You can say that "no other MMORPG has ever extended its free trial period" but I'd have to counter with the fact that no other MMORPG has ever charged its players to play a game of beta quality. In terms of this game's features, it is still in beta in all aspects except that it is on shelves.


Vangaurd is the only one I can think of.

Most games truely aren't complete upon release, I am sure there is a mountain of things they would like to release thier titles with, but are simply limited to time.

It could be highly possible that SE was pressed for time, they took all your feedback in during Beta and the Nov/Dec patch will be the result of it. Seeing the customers that have unsubscribed from the product which thier Board of Directors would be keeping a close eye on, they chose to save face acknowledging there is an issue and publicly announce that they are looking into and here is a list that was generated that will be implemented.

The point is though, every game has a few game changing updates early on in the peace following release. I never beta tested FFXIV, so I can't relate, but it sounds like it is in the same state it was during its final Beta minutes to what it is now, which leads me into thinking that the coming updates are a fix for all the issues during beta. Maybe they didn't expect such negative feed back upon release and they would have a month or two to polish them up.

SE knew your feedback was going to be rehashed in public and they took a chance with it knowing that they had at least a month or two before mass exodus started to happen but also knowing that the PS3 release will top up the kitty.

I assure anyone reading thus far that when you are a company dealing with millions upon millions of potential dollars, there is always a plan A, plan B and plan C. I believe what we are seeing is plan A. Plan B will be the help the game gets from the release of the PS3 version and plan C, well, we don't want it to get there.

Question, if the overall FFXIV fan base had a majority of good things to say about the game in its current release, what do you think SE's attitude would be?



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
It's one thing to be a fan of a company and to be a loyal customer, but it's another entirely to start paying to continue beta testing a game, especially considering that the current situation is "We promise to fix it, but you'll have to cough up the cash for a month before you'll know if we did or not."

I thought the term was "try it before you buy it", not "buy it before you try it".


Thats why I am under the impression we got an extra 30 days free because they were still focusing on the feedback recieved during beta and polishing up. Limited on time again and running out of it fast, they give customers 30 days free, things calm down for a little while but players kept in the dark. 1 month later, news is released about changes at the end of Nov.

However, you do have a very valid point, the 30 days free is meant to be a try before you buy kind of deal. The basics of the game are still here though, that much is known and the changes are pretty much based of peoples experience from other MMO's and how they would play here with the suggestions and changes that they have taken into consideration, so in a sense, you can pretty much picture how it will play out.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I'm -trying- to -force- myself to enjoy the game, but I just can't. Whenever I log on, I feel like the life has been sucked out of me. I have been looking forward to this game for years, reserved two copies of the collector's edition for myself and my fiancee, and whenever either of us log on, we can't go five minutes without wanting to play something else. Anything else. Anything at all.

I want to -want- to play the game. I remember when I played XI; when I'd stay up as late as I could, and as soon as I got home from college, then later work, I would hop on FFXI and waste away 6-12 hours a day ON AVERAGE (sometimes 20+ on weekends) playing a game I -LOVED-.

I -want- that out of FFXIV but it's just not giving it to me. Not unlike FFXIII, I find myself -forcing- myself to play a game that I just can not get in to.


I think we all go through this once in our gaming lives, to try and find the next best thing compaired to that one epic moment in time where you felt that way about a game that you just couldn't stop playing or thinking about during some point of the day and come home time or end of the day for work, rushing home to play it.

The truth is, you will never find it, because I think we only get attached to a game like that once and then nothing else suffices. Everything is bland after time, things don't feel right. We turn around and are forever relating things that were great in our previous games and we try so hard to get people to get the point that in all your efforts, you know it most likely not going to happen.

The gaming genre has changed and not for the better I am afraid. Games today are pushed for release, they are strategically released within a certain timeframe of other releases/expasions from other MMORPG's to try and attempt to get some life out of thier subscribers and whats worse is, they release too many of them with at least 1 new MMORPG being released a year and peoples curiousity gets the better of them and they are for ever game hopping, like you and I, searching for that next best thing to what we had some much memorable moments in.

My posion was Everquest 1 & 2.

I truely have come to expect nothing from games these days, this way I have nothing to lose from my expectations being burnt down form getting myself worked up over the hype that is spun during release and beta. I don't even do much reading up on them and the only real thing I do now days is read the story line, if it appeals to me, I check it out, as you said, try it before you buy it. If I don't like it, on the back burner it goes. What this does it keeps me fresh, I don't get the feeling of being sucked dry from following it for years on end and being let down.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I'm not going to rage and throw my box in the trash. I'm not going to post some video to youtube of myself smashing my CDs... Barring some magical changes between now and the 22nd, I'm probably just going to let my free trial lapse, uninstall the game, and go back to playing other things.

I'll still be around here, talking about the game, talking to all you nice forum folk, hoping for the day when I see this board flooded with "OMG FFXIV is @#%^ing awesome!" because of how SE turned it around. Will that be in a month? Three months? Six months? A year? I don't know.

All I know is that I'll be back with my money once it is, and I'll be thrilled to play it, if they really have made it that much better. My only regret is that I don't know what day that will be so that I can mark it on my calendar.


Considering that FFXIII sold 5+ million copies, it safe to assume that when the PS3 version is released a massive wave of these players will be injected into this community. We can rule a certain percentage of these sales out to PC avid users.

The real question is, will they like it?

Only time will tell.
#93 Nov 15 2010 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
What a lot of you people (I really wanna call you NOOBS, but I won't) don't realize, is that this game only gets worse as you level up. Once you hit R25 or so, the SP FAIL, the tronsportation FAIL, the quests (NOOBS call em leves) FAIL, content FAIL, get worse and worse.

This game is an even bigger grind than FFXI was, and that game had content.

I may be wrong, but the only people enjoying the game right now, are the crafter / AFK bzaar types.

#94 Nov 15 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
What a lot of you people (I really wanna call you NOOBS, but I won't) don't realize, is that this game only gets worse as you level up. Once you hit R25 or so, the SP FAIL, the tronsportation FAIL, the quests (NOOBS call em leves) FAIL, content FAIL, get worse and worse.

This game is an even bigger grind than FFXI was, and that game had content.

I may be wrong, but the only people enjoying the game right now, are the crafter / AFK bzaar types.



Patch notes are that way ------->

Why would we be noobs calling quests Leve's when that is what they are classed as ingame by design?
#95 Nov 15 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
I dont know whats the big deal. This email was sent to avoid the gazillion people that would ***** they didnt know they'd start getting charged.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.
[ffxivsig]1810830[/ffxivsig]
#96 Nov 15 2010 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
13+ dollars is small changes for me. I will stay till after Dec. They deserve a chance because I loved FFXI and FFVII, FFXII. If I am disappointed after all the big updates and the game still doesnt have a soul, I will hit the door and never buy any more SE products.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]409483[/ffxivsig]
#97 Nov 15 2010 at 9:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
186 posts
Golophei wrote:
13+ dollars is small changes for me. I will stay till after Dec. They deserve a chance because I loved FFXI and FFVII, FFXII. If I am disappointed after all the big updates and the game still doesnt have a soul, I will hit the door and never buy any more SE products.


Cool Beans bro.
Wanna pay for my sub?
#98 Nov 15 2010 at 9:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
LordAshal wrote:
Wanna pay for my sub?


Is this phrase going to be, like, the opposite of "Can I have your stuff?"
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#99 Nov 15 2010 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
186 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
LordAshal wrote:
Wanna pay for my sub?


Is this phrase going to be, like, the opposite of "Can I have your stuff?"


Yeah that's kinda where I was going. Too soon?
#100 Nov 15 2010 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
*
192 posts
Taemek wrote:
I am confused.

Your telling me that you would rather save 12 dollars then spend the 12 dollars...

Stereotypical fanboyism ensues.


It's actually 13 dollars.

...Just being honest.
____________________________
Leviathan's Wolf~
75Drk/75Nin/75Rdm/75Blm/75Thf
#101 Nov 16 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
I'm -trying- to -force- myself to enjoy the game, but I just can't. Whenever I log on, I feel like the life has been sucked out of me. I have been looking forward to this game for years, reserved two copies of the collector's edition for myself and my fiancee, and whenever either of us log on, we can't go five minutes without wanting to play something else. Anything else. Anything at all.

I want to -want- to play the game. I remember when I played XI; when I'd stay up as late as I could, and as soon as I got home from college, then later work, I would hop on FFXI and waste away 6-12 hours a day ON AVERAGE (sometimes 20+ on weekends) playing a game I -LOVED-.

I'm having trouble escaping this feeling that I'm wasting a ton of time on something that isn't very enjoyable. Not a good feeling at all, and it's a certainty that I'll be playing less as time goes on, if not stop altogether.

Like you with XI, I spent a ton of hours, yet I was okay with that as it was ultimately a good experiance. This.. Isn't, and one of the main problems is about to get that much worse when 800 people logged in becomes 600 at the end of this week.

We can only hope that the medium for communicating with those left really does improve, but I doubt it will be enough to be acceptable. It annoys me seeing my NPC Companion send me a long tell, much longer than any player could... So, great, at least they allowed the NPCs to have that capability, but not the actual players.
____________________________
Lodestone
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)