Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Teletaxis...AMG!!Follow

#1 Nov 15 2010 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Maybe a rant, even though it would be a crappy rant since it hasn't really affected me beyond chat log spam, but I've been meaning to post about this for a few days.

Apparently old habits die hard. I know that tele-taxis in FFXI were, for a time, the most reliable source of income for your average white mage given that their ability to solo even low level mobs was "meh" at best and there were always people looking for a quick trip here or there to cut down on travel time, but now we're headlong into FFXIV and I have to say, I just don't get it.

I've got anima. Right now I've got probably just over 90 anima after I did some porting around over the weekend. If I'm porting somewhere, I'm porting there. I'm porting there for me. And if I were feeling particularly patient and kind and decided to offer random strangers a lift, I can't say that it's something I would charge for. Lately, however, I'm seeing an awful lot of people looking to cash in on the onerous task of inviting someone to their party before they teleport to their destination of choice...sometimes up to 25k.

As I say, this doesn't hurt me at all. I've never dropped below 85 anima because apparently unlike some people, I knew how quickly (slowly) anima regenerates even before I started in the open beta and made a point of using it selectively instead of porting everywhere for the first week of service and then staring in disbelief at the single digit value of anima remaining...

I guess I just don't really understand a few things about the whole notion of charging (sometimes exorbitant prices) for something as simple as inviting someone to a party so they can tag along with me when I zip through the nether to my destination.

1) Are people really that broke that they need the gil?
2) Five years from now when our niche has us feeling insecure in the shadow of the latest, greatest mega-MMO, is this going to be one of the things we hold up and point to as an indication of why our game may not be the most popular, but we have the best community?
3) WTF?
4) ???
5) Profit?

I don't wait around on anyone, really, which is why I don't offer to bring people along when I'm porting somewhere. I've been down that road too many times where your act of altruistic generosity turns into a 10-15 minute ordeal of, "brt mog house retainer one sec" and "where are you?" and "can you drop me off at Camp Tranquil" and...and...and...

Just not my thing. And no amount of gil would likely change that.

Thoughts?
#2 Nov 15 2010 at 9:27 AM Rating: Excellent
*
164 posts
I tend to not jump around to other cities very often unless I have a good reason to. My anima sits around 55 or so (Took a big hit during the level 20 quest). I will say that a lot of my LS members tend to jump to all 3 cities each and every night to do all of the leves. Of course, they're out of anima all the time, but they do have a lot of gil. Spending 10-15k per port isn't that big of a deal to them since they make that back in a single 20 leve usually.

Economy wise, I think it's a great idea.....Anything to get the gil flowing between players should be encouraged.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 10:28am by tmproff
____________________________
Irishclass777 said: crafting is crafting no matter the game just because crafting is a job in ffxiv don't it much change much.


#3 Nov 15 2010 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I disagree with you in parts on this. Mainly the price of a tele. I see it as they decided to waste their anima, they now want to be lazy and get somewhere fast...they should pay top gil = P
Mostly I'm saying that about the cheapos standing in town for half & hour constantly shouting "Teleport Limsa Lominsa Can I have it? 15k" In this case, they may have reached that destination by now had they started walking & 15k isn't much at this point in the game.

I agree about being annoyed with people shouting to offer teles for 25k. Mostly because repetitive shouting to offer a service or certain goods annoys me anyway. For some reason I don't mind so much when it's the person needing something who's shouting, but the other way around annoys me = P Guess that's one of my things...

Another thing on the price...it's kind of like establishing prices for certain higher rank gear based more on rarity(not many can make it, rare mats), despite it being fairly cheap to actually make. It's not that someone should deserve 25k for inviting someone to a party and hitting the tele button, but because they're willing to waste their anima for it and people without anima & in a rush want that service...


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 10:38am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#4 Nov 15 2010 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
I always have anima because I'm accustumed to running from place to place from playing XI all those years.
I see the tele system now as a nice perk while MANY people see it as the major means of transportation and that is why they never have any anima. The new tele system has made everyone to lazy. Serves them right IMHO.

Now me personally. If I am going somewhere already, Ill send out a /shout free [teleport]>>(wherever) in (anywhere from like 2-5 minutes) no later. I wait for noone. PST and meet (wherever I am)

Then I go grab a drink go the the rest room or whatever, comeback check my log n respond to whoever responded to me and leave exactly when I said I was leaving behind whoever was late.


Edited, Nov 15th 2010 10:46am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#5 Nov 15 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
Without turning this into a debate about how people should judge other's use of time and anima. I think the real reason they charge so much is because they are charging for the 16-24 hours worth of anima regen they are missing out on. Now I can not speak for the people who are porting themselves to a place and then charging, since they have already commited to the anima cost, but I think that is why the other tele-taxi's charge so much, they are charging for time.

That's just my thoughts. :D

~Skye
____________________________


#6 Nov 15 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
I disagree with you in parts on this. Mainly the price of a tele. I see it as they decided to waste their anima, they now want to be lazy and get somewhere fast...they should pay top gil = P
Mostly I'm saying that about the cheapos standing in town for half & hour constantly shouting "Teleport Limsa Lominsa Can I have it? 15k" In this case, they may have reached that destination by now had they started walking & 15k isn't much at this point in the game.


There was a guy in the LS last night who was asking every 10-15 minutes if anyone in Ul'dah was porting to LL or Gridania. The first request didn't phase me. The second one seemed odd. After the third one I was hard pressed to not point out to them that regardless of which direction they had opted to go, if they had just started running after their first request they would have been there already.

Quote:
I agree about being annoyed with people shouting to offer teles for 25k. Mostly because repetitive shouting to offer a service or certain goods annoys me anyway. For some reason I don't mind so much when it's the person needing something who's shouting, but the other way around annoys me = P Guess that's one of my things...

Another thing on the price...it's kind of like establishing prices for certain higher rank gear based more on rarity(not many can make it, rare mats), despite it being fairly cheap to actually make. It's not that someone should deserve 25k for inviting someone to a party and hitting the tele button, but because they're willing to waste their anima for it and people without anima & in a rush want that service...


I dunno. I mean, I see your point, it's just that I was away from XI for so long and the only other MMO I've really played that allowed players to port one another around was LOTRO and in those cases it was extremely rare that someone would ask for more than the cost of the reagent to port another player somewhere. Usually it was a, "Mapping to <wherever> in 5 minutes. PST for invite if you want a ride" kind of thing. In a way, I just don't really see why, in a game like XIV where gil flows in rivers, everything boils down to "how much?" Make no mistake, for the first month or so of service I was charging top gil for anything I sold but now...not so much. I'm poor based on the standards of some but I still always make more than I spend.
#7 Nov 15 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
SkyeAyatari wrote:
Without turning this into a debate about how people should judge other's use of time and anima. I think the real reason they charge so much is because they are charging for the 16-24 hours worth of anima regen they are missing out on. Now I can not speak for the people who are porting themselves to a place and then charging, since they have already commited to the anima cost, but I think that is why the other tele-taxi's charge so much, they are charging for time.

That's just my thoughts. :D

~Skye


In the case of someone who is only porting to a particular place for the sake of their "passengers", then sure. My "issue" is specifically with people who are already porting themselves somewhere and then try to get a bunch of people to go along for gil.
#8 Nov 15 2010 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
to be fair, the reason why players ask so much for the teles is because people offer that much when asking for them.
On Rab atleast, I see people shouting for teles offering up 20, 25, 30k all of the time.
If people are willing to just offer you that much, why is it bad for you to request that much? If I was gonna sell something for $5 but i see everyone offering up 15-20, shoot, ill sell it for 15-20 now. right?

As for people already headined to that particular destination, whats wrong with makin some gil if they feel like it? It's their choice whether they want to give a freebie or not is it not? You don't have to pay them. You can run or port yourself. Its on the players who pay it whether they want to or not. If they continue to pay the high fees, they will continue to charge them.



Edited, Nov 15th 2010 10:55am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#9 Nov 15 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
*
67 posts
Quote:
In the case of someone who is only porting to a particular place for the sake of their "passengers", then sure. My "issue" is specifically with people who are already porting themselves somewhere and then try to get a bunch of people to go along for gil.


In that case, they are just trying to create something from nothing. That falls on their personal attitude towards helping others, which I would like to hope would favor being friendly, but that hardly seems the case. :(

~Skye

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 10:52am by SkyeAyatari
____________________________


#10 Nov 15 2010 at 9:55 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,083 posts
Faaeng wrote:
to be fair, the reason why players ask so much for the teles is because people offer that much when asking for them.
On Rab atleast, I see people shouting for teles offering up 20, 25, 25k all of the time.
If people are willing to just offer you that much, why is it bad for you to request that much?

As for people already headined to that particular destination, whats wrong with makin some gil if they feel like it? You don't have to pay them. You can run or port yourself. Its on the players who pay it whether they want to or not. If they continue to pay the high fees, they will continue to charge them.


Yes. Same on Saronia. I don't often tele because I hate waiting around, but the other day I tele'd a guy who was paying 25k for each person in his party. I made a quick 75k.

Anima is in such short supply and gil rains from the sky so I think the prices are totally justifiable. I personally, because of the hassle and anima shortage, would not tele anyone for less than 25k, but even then I would only jump at a 30k-50k shout and yes I see them frequently. I always ask my LS if I'm going somewhere and they ride for free - that's about as far as my courtesy extends.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#11 Nov 15 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Default
*****
11,576 posts
Faaeng wrote:
to be fair, the reason why players ask so much for the teles is because people offer that much when asking for them.
On Rab atleast, I see people shouting for teles offering up 20, 25, 25k all of the time.
If people are willing to just offer you that much, why is it bad for you to request that much?

As for people already headined to that particular destination, whats wrong with makin some gil if they feel like it? You don't have to pay them. You can run or port yourself. Its on the players who pay it whether they want to or not. If they continue to pay the high fees, they will continue to charge them.


It's just an issue on principle. It has more to do with, "Why does everything need to be about profit?" than any specific means of earning it. And again, it's because gil is so easy to come by in XIV. Maybe it's because I don't have the time to play that I might have had 5 or 10 years ago, but standing around waiting for 10 minutes to make gil I don't need in order to burn anima to save myself a 15 minute run doesn't make a lot of sense. I know a lot of people are driving themselves broke on repairs from the NPC, I just never really thought it was that bad for them.
#12 Nov 15 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*
164 posts
It's all Supply and Demmand. If people were willing to spend 50k gill on a transport, others would be charging it. Right now, I know level 30+ players consider 20k gill to be a very minor inconvenience to save them 20 minutes of running.
____________________________
Irishclass777 said: crafting is crafting no matter the game just because crafting is a job in ffxiv don't it much change much.


#13 Nov 15 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Aurelius wrote:

It's just an issue on principle. It has more to do with, "Why does everything need to be about profit?" than any specific means of earning it. And again, it's because gil is so easy to come by in XIV. Maybe it's because I don't have the time to play that I might have had 5 or 10 years ago, but standing around waiting for 10 minutes to make gil I don't need in order to burn anima to save myself a 15 minute run doesn't make a lot of sense. I know a lot of people are driving themselves broke on repairs from the NPC, I just never really thought it was that bad for them.


That's part of it where I do agree with ya. I'm fine with 25k or more for teles, especially with the ease of making gil. People in need should be willing to pay that much. The "easy to make gil" argument works the other way too. Someone standing around demanding 25k for people to join them for a tele they were going to take anyway smells of douchebaggery. Also, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to waste that time to earn a bit more, already easy to make, gil. Totally agree on that. Then it becomes more of a discussion on the state of the community. Which overall has had a pretty rough start.
____________________________

#14 Nov 15 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
If I'm in Limsa Lomsa, and I do a party search, and find one grinding near camp tranquility, I'll pay 20k to get there. Why would I run from LL to camp tranquil, and WASTE an hour of mine time, when I could be getting SP instead.

Maybe the OP, isn't at the rank level yet, where he has to travel back and forth all over the place.
#15 Nov 15 2010 at 10:29 AM Rating: Default
*****
11,576 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
If I'm in Limsa Lomsa, and I do a party search, and find one grinding near camp tranquility, I'll pay 20k to get there. Why would I run from LL to camp tranquil, and WASTE an hour of mine time, when I could be getting SP instead.

Maybe the OP, isn't at the rank level yet, where he has to travel back and forth all over the place.


I'm all over the place. I've got 10 classes doing rank 20+ leves (local/regional). I think you've missed the point. I'm not talking about your willingness to pay. I'm talking about people standing around shouting for folks to pay for the privilege of a party invite to tag along with them to where they were already going anyways. If I'm in LL porting to Gridania and I've got the time/patience to bring along random strangers, is it worth charging them? That's the point.
#16 Nov 15 2010 at 10:38 AM Rating: Excellent
**
602 posts
regional leves give me 20k a pop. Whats wrong with paying 15k for a teleport?

I never have more than 6 anima. EVER.

God bless teletaxis.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#17 Nov 15 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
people are making alts to teletaxi then deleting and recreating when depleted...
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#18 Nov 15 2010 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
If people now are impatient stupid enough to pay for teletaxis then so be it.

In FFXI, teles were earned by the WHMs. And as a player you had to have the crystal to tele there. Also traveling took FOREVER in FFXI whereas in FFXIV you can get anywhere you need to by foot relatively easily. This may change in the future with more zones and more travel options, so I CAN see teletaxis being eventually more accepted, but currently they do seem like a moneygrab/unnecessary.
#19 Nov 15 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Excellent
**
602 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
people are making alts to teletaxi then deleting and recreating when depleted...


Yet they are still charging what they charge.

What does this mean?

That there's so much demand that it isn't being fully covered by those who supply the service.

I have no idea how a thread dissing people who provide a much wanted service gets rated up. So what if you don't charge others, and you don't teleport unless you need it yourself? I mean, good for you man. But I get by a lot more easier thanks to teletaxis. They've saved me hours of walking.

Not to mention 15-25k in the XIV economy is *nothing*. You get 10k for lvl 20 leves, 20k for lvl 30 leves.

To those who play the game on a hardcore basis (this being people who constantly run out of anima) this is a very cheap price. Time is money, and teletaxis save you more than 15k worth of it.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#20 Nov 15 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Slightly unrelated, but does anyone else find themselves comparing prices from XIV to prices in XI? Gil is so much easier to come by in XIV, 25k for a teletaxi isn't really surprising actually. ****, even I have cash on hand most of the time, and I'm just about the worst there is when it comes to raising money.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#21 Nov 15 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,949 posts
I value my anima much too highly to sell it, especially for something as cheap as 15k (even 25-30k). I can make 15k in minutes, I make 1 anima in 4 hours. To me, teleports should be worth 100k at the very least, probably more like 150k for cross-nation teleports.

And if I'm going to spend the anima to travel, I don't charge for it, since it was my call to use it in the first place.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#22 Nov 15 2010 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
As I say, this doesn't hurt me at all. I've never dropped below 85 anima because apparently unlike some people, I knew how quickly (slowly) anima regenerates even before I started in the open beta and made a point of using it selectively instead of porting everywhere for the first week of service and then staring in disbelief at the single digit value of anima remaining...


Some people don't have as much time as you do possibly. I hover around 35-55 anima. Some days I don't get to play so I get a slight boost but then I'll play for 2-3 days in a row and it tank. And if I don't have a lot of time on the days that I do play, yes my anima gets abused.

A more disturbing thing I saw was a guy in LL with the name Travel Agency. Shouting to tele people for 20k per. Saw the next day: 'Travel Agencya'. Seems like he teled all 100 anima, deleted the account and started teleing people again.
#23 Nov 15 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
If you don't like the fact that people are "abusing the system", then there is an easy fix.

SE should get rid of the anima system, or make it regen a lot faster. If there were other forms of transportation, such as chocobos, it wouldn't be so bad.

And the upcoming patch does nothing for me, I'm down to 5 anima.

#24 Nov 15 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Other forms of transportation are definitely needed.

Chocobos for cross continent traveling or camp to camp and airships for city to city. If these were implemented a lot of the anima complaints would go away.
#25 Nov 15 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Wint wrote:
Slightly unrelated, but does anyone else find themselves comparing prices from XIV to prices in XI? Gil is so much easier to come by in XIV, 25k for a teletaxi isn't really surprising actually. ****, even I have cash on hand most of the time, and I'm just about the worst there is when it comes to raising money.


I think this is quite related. 25k in FFXIV is like 5k in FFXI. Just look at how easy it is to get ~500k gil here compared to FFXI. Sure, a 25k tele in FFXI is ridiculous but no one would think twice about someone charging 5k. We get gil for almost everything we do, and after rank 20 leves provide quite a lot of gil. In fact, the only gil sinks I encounter are crafting facilities and repairing my undies, and I know I bring in far more gil from leves and NPCing items than I spend on crafting facilities and repairs. I'm worried just how blown out of proportion prices are going to get. 1 mil+ for common mid-rank gear is not out of the question right now.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 12:44pm by Hydragyrum
#26 Nov 15 2010 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
Ponderosa wrote:
If you don't like the fact that people are "abusing the system", then there is an easy fix.
Not that I particularly care either way, but "there's an easy fix" usually implies that there is something that the person you're responding to can do to fix the problem themselves.

Listing changes that SE could possibly implement in the future is not an "easy fix".
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#27 Nov 15 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Quote:

people are making alts to teletaxi then deleting and recreating when depleted...


Well, don't you have to have visited the area in question and touched the Aetherite at least once before you can return there by teleport?

Really the ones that I see benefiting from this the most is RMT. SE has given them a direct way to manipulate the system and make a boatload of cash in a short time. Any nerf to it will cause us problems though, so I don't see what can really be done.

The prices just seem high to those of us coming from XI where gil in general was much harder to come by. That's part of the problem with the way SE handles things - they add too many gil fountains without enough gil sinks and the money just stays in the system changing hands like this. A Player run economy is nice in theory, but in practice all we are seeing is massive bloat on seemingly everything, including teleport services.

Things that would normally not hold much value are over the top.
#28 Nov 15 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
1 mil+ for common mid-rank gear is not out of the question right now.



except that so many people can make said gear that the prices would fall pretty much immediately.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#29 Nov 15 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
Slightly unrelated, but does anyone else find themselves comparing prices from XIV to prices in XI? Gil is so much easier to come by in XIV, 25k for a teletaxi isn't really surprising actually. ****, even I have cash on hand most of the time, and I'm just about the worst there is when it comes to raising money.



Im concerned about this. In FFXI gil was extremely harder to come by and still you had engame items around 10-20 million, even 100mil on relic weapons.

With this economy i dont know if gil will ever have any value. Im sitting on 10mil right now and i wonder if "relic" weapons or top end game stuff will need billions of gil investment. Its a RMT paradise scenario unfortunately.
#30 Nov 15 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I think the ease of getting gil is going to undermine RMT - but only if most things are easy to come by or easy to live without. Currently when a new thing first starts getting crafted people charge outrageous prices - but as the herd catches up and starts mass producing the item prices fall like a rock.

I can see some super uber end-game gear being stupid expensive - but money falls from the sky so I don't see the problem really.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#31 Nov 15 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
568 posts
I know this might not be the most popular opinion but here's what I do.

Every time I tele from a crowded area I /say: "Teleporting to "X" in 30 seconds anyone want a ride?"

I never charge for it, because I'd be warping there anyway. Besides it's good to help out somebody with minimum effort. Helping always feels nice.

I never request favors in return, but if this habit was more common among players we'd have ZERO ANIMA PROBLEMS.
#32 Nov 15 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
I know this might not be the most popular opinion but here's what I do.

Every time I tele from a crowded area I /say: "Teleporting to "X" in 30 seconds anyone want a ride?"

I never charge for it, because I'd be warping there anyway. Besides it's good to help out somebody with minimum effort. Helping always feels nice.

I never request favors in return, but if this habit was more common among players we'd have ZERO ANIMA PROBLEMS.


Yeah I often do this too, and I agree - it would help a lot with anima problems. Funny thing is that few people ever take me up on it.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#33 Nov 15 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Wint wrote:
Slightly unrelated, but does anyone else find themselves comparing prices from XIV to prices in XI? Gil is so much easier to come by in XIV, 25k for a teletaxi isn't really surprising actually. ****, even I have cash on hand most of the time, and I'm just about the worst there is when it comes to raising money.


I find it odd as well, I remember it was about 2ish years into XI before I actually had 1mil just sitting there. As to the teletaxi thing... well if we were a bit more active in the LS we could take turns teleporting around the world ^.~

____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#34 Nov 15 2010 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


Yeah I often do this too, and I agree - it would help a lot with anima problems. Funny thing is that few people ever take me up on it.


Really? I've had passengers between almost every telepoint. I wish everyone tele-ing with me a Seif flight! =)

Anyway I'm happy somebody else is doing it too! =D
#35 Nov 15 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I've taken gil to port people twice, but only what they offer (once 40k, once 30k). If someone were to ask me for a ride for free to somewhere I was already going, then I'd take them for free too. Like Aurelius, it's very rare that I go under 85. When I start getting lower than that, I take a break from going all over and just do local leves in one place for a day or two.
#36 Nov 15 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I see a lot of posts saying using anima to get where you're going is lazy.
I have to disagree.
There is no other means of transportation aside from walking everywhere. It's all fine and good to walk to the camps in your region, but after 25-30 the game has you running ALL over the place to get your jobs marks.
Usually you may find 2 and if you're really lucky maybe a max of 4 leves in your own region that offer the Guild Marks you need as a leve reward. So you have to check the other cities. That alone is a lot of running around, but once you get your leves at said cities, you're more likely than not, to be running all over that region as well.
I don't feel it's lazy to not want to spend 4 hours steering your character down a road.
You can easily burn through 15 anima being conservative on leve reset day. I tend to run from Ul'Dah to the ferry and do all the Limsa leves on foot as well. That takes considerable time. Then I port to Gridania, and try to do all those on foot. I can't set a HP like in XI, so every time I initiate a leve I'm now married to that Aetherite, and can't return to a convenient spot. I have to actually teleport.
So now I'm either forced to run all the way from Emerald Moss to Ul'Dah, or use another 6 anima.
I spend remaining hours to leve reset running on foot to conserve anima, but that's not quite enough time to replenish all that I just used. Sooner or later I'm going to run out, period.
I don't go hog wild, and do A LOT of running, and I'm short on anima after 2 months of playing conservatively.
It's not fair to call people who don't go on foot EVERYWHERE, lazy.

That being said, I don't mind paying for a telly, but on Bodham at least, there are many people who kindly announce they are porting, and offer a free ride along.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#37 Nov 15 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,949 posts
Restyoneck wrote:
after 25-30 the game has you running ALL over the place to get your jobs marks.

Correction, you're having yourself run all over the place. The game certainly offers you the leves, but nobody's forcing you to do them. I'm so tired of the same boring leves all the time that I only take my Horizon and Nophica's wells ones, since they're so close, then hop on the boat and grab some Bloodshore ones.

I'm rank 26 on my thaumaturge, have bought every Physical-to-Magical trait on my gladiator, have the rank30 trait for Gladiator, Lancer, Pugilist, Conjurer and Thaumaturge, and I have around 52,000 thaumaturge marks left sitting around doing nothing. Since Transcendence costs 12,000 marks (for +10 affinity, max of 100?) I'm assuming I'll need to stock up at least 120,000 THM marks for full affinity.

But really, other than planning for the future, most of my marks are just plain useless nowadays. I do leves near where I go instead of going where my leves are.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#38 Nov 15 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
No one is going to look back at FFXIV and say, **********! I hated that game because of its tele-taxis!"....we'll be ok.
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Nov 15 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
SolidMack wrote:
No one is going to look back at FFXIV and say, **********! I hated that game because of its tele-taxis!"....we'll be ok.
I laughed far more than I should have.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#40 Nov 15 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
Id be one of those that would shout for an hour instead of just walking after the first or second shout.

The thing is I'm usually doing something else (crafting) more beneficial while looking and it doesn't matter if I get there in 15 minutes or 2 hours.
#42 Nov 15 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
Docent42 wrote:

I'm rank 26 on my thaumaturge, have bought every Physical-to-Magical trait on my gladiator, have the rank30 trait for Gladiator, Lancer, Pugilist, Conjurer and Thaumaturge, and I have around 52,000 thaumaturge marks left sitting around doing nothing. Since Transcendence costs 12,000 marks (for +10 affinity, max of 100?) I'm assuming I'll need to stock up at least 120,000 THM marks for full affinity.


Just a by the way, you can only buy the trait once. I'm assuming they're going to impliment more affinity traits lateron (Like pikemanship II, R75 or something like that- +20 affinity)

And one thing I didn't see you guys mentioning is the fact that you can teleport multiple people. I've seen people say, "I'm teleporting at 3:30, cost = 25k". And at 3:30, you have five people there. That's an easy 125k.
#43 Nov 15 2010 at 3:36 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
outzaidurz wrote:
stopped playing a month ago. I never have any problems with anima since it's permanently at 100. feels good.


Reported, this belongs in the complaints thread or kept to yourself.
#44 Nov 15 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Restyoneck wrote:
after 25-30 the game has you running ALL over the place to get your jobs marks.

Correction, you're having yourself run all over the place. The game certainly offers you the leves, but nobody's forcing you to do them. I'm so tired of the same boring leves all the time that I only take my Horizon and Nophica's wells ones, since they're so close, then hop on the boat and grab some Bloodshore ones.

I'm rank 26 on my thaumaturge, have bought every Physical-to-Magical trait on my gladiator, have the rank30 trait for Gladiator, Lancer, Pugilist, Conjurer and Thaumaturge, and I have around 52,000 thaumaturge marks left sitting around doing nothing. Since Transcendence costs 12,000 marks (for +10 affinity, max of 100?) I'm assuming I'll need to stock up at least 120,000 THM marks for full affinity.

But really, other than planning for the future, most of my marks are just plain useless nowadays. I do leves near where I go instead of going where my leves are.


That's really semantics there..
There's plenty you can not do in the game to shorten travel time. I fail to find that a reasonable solution to the problem. I could never buy anything and not require gil, or never rank my job and not need SP.
Even if everyone was ok with, "I don't need those abilities for my GLA" it doesn't help crafters, who have to rely on random marks from leves for training books. There isn't a reward: XXXX crafter marks in those leves. You do the 20+ leves and if it's your lucky day, no matter how high your apprasial is, you might get 600 marks top end when you turn in the items to the npc. And we're talking going 3-5 resets w/o seeing any marks at all some times. If you don't run the world getting all the leves available, and it'll be a LONG time before you ever see a training volume.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 5:14pm by Restyoneck
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#45 Nov 15 2010 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:

Yet they are still charging what they charge.

What does this mean?


I never said there was anything wrong with it, if some one wants to spend 3 bucks a month to provide teletaxi service for gil, I'm all for it. Personally it's a sound investment for some one with limited play time... assuming you can get a partner (or dual box, but then it's no longer financially sound for limited playtime and you could more than likely make gil faster dual boxing) to tele you to the towns for your initial crystal molesting.

____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#46 Nov 15 2010 at 4:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
I guess this is one of the nice things about not having a lot of time to play during the week, I get a lot of anima recharged when I'm too busy to log on. I think I'm now around 75-80 anima. I generally don't need to go too far, maybe move between Ul'Dah and LL for leves or crystal/shard farming. If I am going somewhere and someone's offering gil for a taxi, then I'll generally take it cause, hey, free gil. Since I don't focus on battle jobs and don't play all the time, money's still low for me. Not that I usually need much for anything right now.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#47 Nov 15 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
MajidahSihaam wrote:

Yet they are still charging what they charge.

What does this mean?


I never said there was anything wrong with it, if some one wants to spend 3 bucks a month to provide teletaxi service for gil, I'm all for it. Personally it's a sound investment for some one with limited play time... assuming you can get a partner (or dual box, but then it's no longer financially sound for limited playtime and you could more than likely make gil faster dual boxing) to tele you to the towns for your initial crystal molesting.



Oh no I know, I'm sorry lol I started replying to you and halfway through the responce I chained my conversational aim towards the OP haha.

Edited, Nov 15th 2010 5:31pm by MajidahSihaam
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#48 Nov 15 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Tele-taxi's? The best player-made invention ever. I use two sub characters
(I never waste my own anima!) and generally charge 10k/person. The other
way round, I generally pay up to 15k. Like this I never run out of anima,
make a nice profit on the way, save myself about 30 minutes of lifetime
every day and do the same for a couple of customers.

OP, maybe the feeling you experience is called "envy"?
#49 Nov 15 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Tele-taxi's? The best player-made invention ever. I use two sub characters
(I never waste my own anima!) and generally charge 10k/person. The other
way round, I generally pay up to 15k. Like this I never run out of anima,
make a nice profit on the way, save myself about 30 minutes of lifetime
every day and do the same for a couple of customers.

OP, maybe the feeling you experience is called "envy"?


Envy of what? One guy is standing around shouting for chump change. I'm already where I need to be. By crafter's standards I'm poor, but I still manage to tack ~500k onto my reserve every week or so. And I've got tons of anima. There's nothing for me to be envious of.
#50 Nov 15 2010 at 7:26 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
One thing that I always found hysterical is that I always see people shoutin for tele offering up 20, 25, 30k for a tele,
but 80-90% of the time when I am about to go somewhere and send out a /sh if anyone wants a free lift noone responds.
I always laugh a bit to myslef.
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#51 Nov 15 2010 at 7:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Envy of what? One guy is standing around shouting for chump change. I'm already where I need to be. By crafter's standards I'm poor, but I still manage to tack ~500k onto my reserve every week or so. And I've got tons of anima. There's nothing for me to be envious of.


Evny of being able to do 4 good things at a time, making profit and people happy on the way?
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)