Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

How do you think it will be the NM system?Follow

#1 Nov 16 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Default
Bot claim or Force pop?

btw what a grade 4.0 from gamespot doesn't do... another free month yay!
#2Irishclass777, Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 3:52 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) force pop by leve for some spawn time. I hope it will not have lotto pop....
#3 Nov 17 2010 at 5:06 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
I really hope its not triggered spawning. It cheapens the item in comparassion to something like you have to actually camp.


And I hate camping.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#4 Nov 17 2010 at 5:15 AM Rating: Decent
I would have thought it would have to be claimed.

If anyone can just go force pop an NM, the item won't be much special.

Unless they somehow make it you have to claim the right to force pop? :S
____________________________
#5 Nov 17 2010 at 5:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
I know I've said it before, but in my opinion, you guys are crazy if you think that there will be any non-forced spawn world NMs. SE will do everything to cripple RMT in this game. Personally, I hope they use some kind of ZNM-style system (a tiered forced-spawn NM system from FFXI). I'm not sure how a forced-spawn NM makes an item less rare/valuable... they can always make the battles, you know, require some kind of skill.

I also think that NMs will only drop mats, probably based on the incapacitation system. Think Monster Hunter. They'll kill crafting if NMs drop full items.
#6 Nov 17 2010 at 6:13 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
SilkWyrm wrote:
They'll kill crafting if NMs drop full items.


not if the item is situational or not overpowered or sufficiently rare.

Also I am pretty sure SE said there would be open world NM's. I would be surprised if they were all force pop - and dissapointed to be honest. A mix of force pop etc is fine - but it would take some of the fun out of it if they were all force pop.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#7 Nov 17 2010 at 6:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
238 posts
You people are crazy wanting open world NM's =o

I personally hated trying to camp a NM.

What's wrong with forced pop? Particularly if there is a cooldown on it (once an hour, once a day, whatever) AND the item is a rare drop? It could still take you weeks to get your drop, which means not everyone will have it, but at least you don't have to compete with bots.

Then as someone else mentioned, they can also make the mobs hard... that further reduces the number of people who could acquire the drops.
#8 Nov 17 2010 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
I'm pretty sure the NMs won't drop full items, they've made it pretty clear that they want gear to be player dependent. No, if NMs drop cool items, it'll be rare ingredients for the really cool things crafters will be able to make once the recipe's released. So it'll be Big Honkin' NM drops Wuzzuh Hide, Wuzzuh Hide being used to make Wuzzuh Leather, which is used to make Sword of Awesome.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#9 Nov 17 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
So it'll be Big Honkin' NM drops Wuzzuh Hide, Wuzzuh Hide being used to make Wuzzuh Leather, which is used to make Sword of Awesome.


And disclaimers for crafters. "Although every effort is made to ensure your synthesis is successful, I can make no garuntees of that success and no refunds are available :P"

haha

p.s. i loved camping open world NMs a good mixture please :D
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#10 Nov 17 2010 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Metin wrote:
Gadhelyn wrote:
So it'll be Big Honkin' NM drops Wuzzuh Hide, Wuzzuh Hide being used to make Wuzzuh Leather, which is used to make Sword of Awesome.


And disclaimers for crafters. "Although every effort is made to ensure your synthesis is successful, I can make no garuntees of that success and no refunds are available :P"

haha

p.s. i loved camping open world NMs a good mixture please :D


Heh, I already use this disclaimer. That and HQs using provided materials are at no additional costs. HQs using my materials cost more though.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#11 Nov 17 2010 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
233 posts
I like the NM mechanics in FFXI...with 1 minor change. Every time you defeat a NM and DON'T get the drop the % the drop occurs will increase the next time you defeat them. This way you know every time you kill one and don't get the drop you didn't just waste your time. I know this can be exploited, but I am sure SE could find a way to make it fair.
#12 Nov 17 2010 at 9:22 AM Rating: Good
If they do use open world NMs, I'm sure there will be some that drop actual equipment, just like in XI. However, it's easy to just make that equipment untradeable to combat RMT involvement. This also adds a bit of competition to the game, which isn't really a bad thing. It also makes it so that people who DO get the item can have a measure of pride about it, just like any rare item. I'm sure there will be a good mix of everything.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#13 Nov 17 2010 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
53 posts
I don't care if it "cheapens the feel" of NMs if they're force-popped-- camping is completely retarded. People that 'enjoy' it have way too much free time. I don't have time to be sitting around for 3 hours competing with 12 year olds for a magic boot.

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 10:31am by jPuff
#14 Nov 17 2010 at 9:36 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
I am not totally against open world NMs, but yes, camping is for retarded nerds.
I've got better things to do with my life (and my wife) than waiting for hours
in one spot with bleeding eyes.

What I would like to see is NMs whose spawns are not predictable, so they cannot
be camped. It has to be a really thrilling surprise to meet one. Not the questinable
reward of wasting days of your youth in some damp cave (Argus). That's so outdated.
#15 Nov 17 2010 at 9:52 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
I'm pretty sure the NMs won't drop full items, they've made it pretty clear that they want gear to be player dependent. No, if NMs drop cool items, it'll be rare ingredients for the really cool things crafters will be able to make once the recipe's released. So it'll be Big Honkin' NM drops Wuzzuh Hide, Wuzzuh Hide being used to make Wuzzuh Leather, which is used to make Sword of Awesome.


God I hope not...unless you just happen to know a high level crafter who is willing to turn your rare ingredient into something and hand it back over to you...good luck with that. It will turn into, get rare item, try to sell it, random crafter buys it, turns it into some overpriced piece of gear, and sells it on the open market.

Not a whole lot of fun factor involved for the one you actually got the rare drop in the first place.

Hopefully SE makes both sides happy and has material drops as well as equipment drops.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#16 Nov 17 2010 at 10:19 AM Rating: Decent
*
189 posts
Why cant they make NM spawns in random areas of the zone? Wouldnt this help the camping problem?
____________________________
FFXI Alexandar 51 SUM
Ramuh 50 SUM 53 THF
WoW Malygos 80MAG 60 WLK
The forgtn cst 80 MAG 73 WLK

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2494669
Retainer: Weaponsandshields
#17 Nov 17 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
116 posts
Quote:
not if the item is situational or not overpowered or sufficiently rare


Or on the other hand, a pop item could be required that can only be crafted by a high level XYZ DoH class.
#18 Nov 17 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
16 posts
Upon Spawn: Check if NM of this type exists...
If exist: spawn regular mob
If nonexist: Check time since last NM of this type was slain.
If Lessthan (insert time period here): spawn regular mob
If Morethan (same time period here): use random number generator
If RNG outside % parameter: spawn regular mob, add +1 to the roll the next time a mob spawns
If RNG within parameter: Spawn NM.

In english: a contested first-come, first-serve NM MAY spawn once every 2 hours, but noone knows a definite spawn point, because any mob that randomly spawns just might be the NM... or it might not. With the roll +1 system, there is no spawn timer, there is no "camping" and there's no definite spawn point... just a general idea.

The rarest items should be on contested mobs to keep the economy stimulated and to give those rare items a bit more prestige value.
____________________________

#19 Nov 17 2010 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
hanibalz wrote:
Why cant they make NM spawns in random areas of the zone? Wouldnt this help the camping problem?


Many NMs have huge pop zones. That's when they bring more people to camp them.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#20 Nov 17 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
*
80 posts
hopefully similar to xi a few years after release.

open world nms on a set spawn timer drop items and/or mats...but you can also get those some of those items or mats from levequest nms or other bcnm type fights.

gives you a few options to obtain an item you want depending on what you like to do.
#21 Nov 17 2010 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I hate the idea of random spawn NMs. they hurt the economy (when groups learn to dominate camps), they create player castes (when several expensive must have items show up, and you can't get a group without one), and they promote botting. NMs should stick to being in faction leves, or just drop gold/mats/otherwise achievable items like the silver elites in wow.
____________________________


#22 Nov 17 2010 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Also I am pretty sure SE said there would be open world NM's. I would be surprised if they were all force pop


I was under the impression that there would be a mix of NM types to include non-leve ones. IMO it wouldn't be so bad if they did something similar to the Emporers Pin where the spawning NM has a comparable item to something attainable a different way. At least that way those who want the "badge of honor" will have item X and those who just want the stats of item X will be content with item X2.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#23 Nov 17 2010 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Also I am pretty sure SE said there would be open world NM's. I would be surprised if they were all force pop


I was under the impression that there would be a mix of NM types to include non-leve ones. IMO it wouldn't be so bad if they did something similar to the Emporers Pin where the spawning NM has a comparable item to something attainable a different way. At least that way those who want the "badge of honor" will have item X and those who just want the stats of item X will be content with item X2.



See I'm fine with that. If camping a NM for 10 hours gets you a +10 accuracy ring, I want a reasonable quest chain or pop NM that gives me a +8 version. I still think its lame, but its a compromise I'd accept.
____________________________


#24 Nov 17 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Simool wrote:
Unless you know a high level crafter who is willing to turn your rare ingredient into something and hand it back over to you...good luck with that.


While components aren't super rare yet, this is exactly how I've gotten lots of my gear. I've never had a crafter try to cheat me and I've turned over tons of components and stacks of shards. I find working with high level crafters who hang out at the guilds to be easy and a great way to meet other people in the game and it can be a win-win for you and them.

Sure, you could possibly get screwed. But the communities are not massive right now. I see the same folks in the guilds time and again that I've worked with.

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 3:01pm by NayliaMR
____________________________

#25 Nov 17 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
They already stated there will be open world NMs. And since there will be new recipes, chances are the new nms will drop some of the ingredients for the new synths. As well, item drops will most likely be untradable. After all the issues with tradable items in 11, I can't imagine they would want to revisit that pain.
#26 Nov 17 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
518 posts
Random spawn NMs are ok. I can deal with camping Leaping Lizzy, and Valk. Emp. Camping for a few hours per spawn is not god aweful. It sucks but it's fine, I did it in XI I can do it in XIV.

However, the king system needs to go. Any HNM type pop where it is a timed spawn in an open zone where shells will sit for three hours is outdated and lame. FFXI did it right with BCNM instance zones. World spawn NMs should drop r/ex versions of items and if you want the non-r/ex you have to enter a battle field that requires a team. i.e you can solo KA for the r/ex speed belt you can, if you want the traded item than you need to fight Wyrn in a BCNM.

If they do add "king" type system than they need to allow the gear dropped from those NMs they need to have an instance zone of the same gear or comparable. You can argue where the "best gear" should be. However, with the trend in XI was put the best gear in instance zones, i.e. salvage, ein, ect.

I don't see SE going towards a King system in this game. Plain and simple it was a horrible system and a very small and select few liked it. You'll have your uber elitists out there who think that only they deserve "awesome sword" cause they can camp a NM more than you. However, I believe that the game should reward skill, not your ability to spam voke for a min every 30 sec.

Give me sea type battles, and IxMNK, and JoP, type spawn competition. If I have to slaughter all the rabits in a grid square for 3-6 hours and than possibly miss that spawn because it's on the other side of the zone and someone just randomly walks by.

And to those that say a "claimed" item has more value than a force pop all you have to do is look towards XI and Ohat, or Kirin, or JoL, ZNM type mobs. And BCNM type items such as speed belt, PCC, E-Bow, ect...
#27 Nov 17 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
I like the idea of mobs the are a more challenging than their common counterparts. There's always something exciting about claiming a "special" mob. And much as I dislike the idea, there has to be some incentive for taking the risk to fight it, especially if doing so involves gathering together a group of people in order to stand a chance. I just hope they do it in a way that doesn't leave people feeling like they're missing a key aspect of their character's development if they don't have a specific item from a specific mob that takes hours of mind numbing camping and competition to get. And I'd be shocked as **** if the NMs dropped finished gear that could be traded/sold. And I also hope that if the mobs drop anything of value, the drop rates are consistent so you don't have a bottleneck of players still trying to get <x> item form a mob they've killed a half dozen times already.
#28 Nov 17 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
546 posts
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"
#29 Nov 17 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
**
518 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


They don't want to compete against bots. Did you camp argus pre r/ex nerf? or how about LL or VE, or Mee, or any of the other ******* RMT botted NMs?

People here are wanting a system that rewards skill, you want a system that rewards time. The question many have posed is why can't we have both? You can spend 3-6 hours by your self camping an mob for a r/ex piece of gear, and I can fight an instanced battle maybe once a week or something like that with my LS and get the tradable version of that same item. It's a win win. Your item doesn't get botted because it's r/ex and ours gets sold because it's tradable. Open world NM keeps demand in check because those that want it the most will camp for it, and the instance zone will keep supply in check allowing you to camp against 1-10 people instead of having to bring an entire LS just to claim a mob, ie King Artho.

Going to a system that XI had in 2004 is retarded and if you argue for it you are retarded. There should always be a skill balance to claim balance. You could kill a Faf/nid with 6-8 every 24 hours depending, but you could kill an odin once every two weeks with 18 and have a shot at the same gear. Not saying that fafhogg didn't have a place, but the fact that I could get the same gear without planting my *** in Dragon Arey for a year+ for 3 hours a day is a bug positive.

Unless you are one of those douches who I spoke of earlier who believes that "great" gear belongs to you cause you can spend 3+ hours mashing "voke" for a min every 30 min.
#30 Nov 17 2010 at 2:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Or how about they create a system that's actually fun rather than one where you stand around for 3-12 hours like a ****** with your claiming app?

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 3:42pm by jPuff
#31 Nov 17 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Default
People want epic fights but the claiming system just don't work till devs create a bot free game. Thats why im a huge fan of force pop NMs. You still can bring a lot of people for it, have tons of battle coordination and leaves the amount of time lost camping against RMT or top botting LS returned into something more useful playing for.

Maybe if theres ever a game without botting possibility then NMs like FFXI (not mentioning those stupid huge windows like charybdis) could be back again.
#32 Nov 17 2010 at 4:03 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I honestly think a mix of everything would be best - Open world random spawn NMs that give a mix of great gear, okay gear and rare materials - force pop mobs that give a mix of great gear, okay gear and rare materials, levequest mobs give a mix of great gear, okay gear and rare materials.

I would be shocked if SE didn't make gear that dropped from open world NMs rare/ex. I support making most NM drops rare/ex because it lessens overcamping. There were tons of NMs in FFXI that were easy to camp - the one that dropped the "MP recovered while healing" wand for example in sarutaburuta (sorry spelling >.>) for example. I am also fine with a few select NMs that have tradeable gear - either cause it needs to be upgraded by crafters or is not overpowered.

Even some non rare-ex drops were pretty easy to get even for someone with limited time on hand. I knew a lot of pretty casual players who got the mist cape multiple times, for example.

Botters are an issue - but I don't know about you guys but in my opinion a lot of the decisions SE has made to thwart RMT have actually sort of thwarted me. I'd rather not have the game built around making life difficult for RMT because it generally just makes life more difficult for me.

I also really wish people wouldn't flame people who like camping open world NMs and vice versa. To be honest I don't have the patience for doing much stuff with open world NMS - I actually really like popped NMs - but that said I don't see the need to advocate against an activity other people find fun. As long as there are a lot of options for people with different playstyles I don't see why it is bad to allow people who enjoy something different than me to have their fun too.

Besides - there isn't a lot of content right now so SE would be smart to have some open world NMs for those who are in the 35-50 rank range to team up to take down.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#33 Nov 17 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Actually its entirely the opposite. I'd rather earn rare, valuable, or just useful gear through quests or quest chains, rather than standing around hitting a macro, or worse having to pay the guy that did.
____________________________


#34 Nov 17 2010 at 4:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
235 posts
I never cared much for force pop. Look what happened to Alky bracelets in XI. The tower became absurdly crowded with people who never wanted to put the time into earning the drop. Then before you knew it, everyone on the server had the best STR gauntlets in the game. It kinda cheapened it to me.

Anyways I think/hope they have both pop and forced. That would please people on both sides. I also hope they drop both rare gear and materials. Like Cerberus dropping Algol and things like that. Not everyone in the game cares for, or does crafting. So I hope gear is also dropped with materials, drops being rare of course.

I really like how in XI, you had to put the time and effort in to receive the "elite" gear. I don't think just anyone and everyone should be able to attain that stuff. Now, I understand that it's somewhat messed up for the casual players or to the people who don't have much time to play, but..... This is an MMORPG afterall. Probably playing the wrong game/genre if you don't have the patience or time to put in the "dirty work".

Also, I totally understand others who feel differently. This is just my opinion.

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 5:23pm by Scape13
____________________________


#35 Nov 17 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Default
**
315 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Sorry i don't want to spend 6 years killing the same nm about 200 times till i get that item i'm forced to get. Lotto pops for 50-99% you get the item as lotto times can be 1-10 hours. Like leeping lizzy has several pop spots. 1-10 hours time between pops, and item rarely drops. 1-10 houes hunting 1 nm is NOT casual player friendly. neither is 24 hr pops. Jaged ear jack is worst i've only seen that nm 2 times in 6 years. Killed it once. Drop and nm are rarely seen. I'm not lazy, i spent weeks hunting nue for my brown belt. I just never got the item. I would perfer time spawn nms between 1-3 hours, force pop nm where the ??? spawns 1-4 hours and requires items or several items from time pop nms. If its a lotto pop nm its after a certain amount mobs killed in that area. And mobs killed is a random number.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#36 Nov 17 2010 at 4:28 PM Rating: Decent
*
80 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Sorry i don't want to spend 6 years killing the same nm about 200 times till i get that item i'm forced to get. Lotto pops for 50-99% you get the item as lotto times can be 1-10 hours. Like leeping lizzy has several pop spots. 1-10 hours time between pops, and item rarely drops. 1-10 houes hunting 1 nm is NOT casual player friendly. neither is 24 hr pops. Jaged ear jack is worst i've only seen that nm 2 times in 6 years. Killed it once. Drop and nm are rarely seen. I'm not lazy, i spent weeks hunting nue for my brown belt. I just never got the item. I would perfer time spawn nms between 1-3 hours, force pop nm where the ??? spawns 1-4 hours and requires items or several items from time pop nms. If its a lotto pop nm its after a certain amount mobs killed in that area. And mobs killed is a random number.

you misinterpret casual player friendly...all the meant was there would be stuff to do that doesn't required logging on for extended periods of time.

that doesn't mean everything in the game can be done quickly.
#37 Nov 17 2010 at 4:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
80 posts
stripesonfire wrote:
Irishclass777 wrote:
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Sorry i don't want to spend 6 years killing the same nm about 200 times till i get that item i'm forced to get. Lotto pops for 50-99% you get the item as lotto times can be 1-10 hours. Like leeping lizzy has several pop spots. 1-10 hours time between pops, and item rarely drops. 1-10 houes hunting 1 nm is NOT casual player friendly. neither is 24 hr pops. Jaged ear jack is worst i've only seen that nm 2 times in 6 years. Killed it once. Drop and nm are rarely seen. I'm not lazy, i spent weeks hunting nue for my brown belt. I just never got the item. I would perfer time spawn nms between 1-3 hours, force pop nm where the ??? spawns 1-4 hours and requires items or several items from time pop nms. If its a lotto pop nm its after a certain amount mobs killed in that area. And mobs killed is a random number.

you misinterpret casual player friendly...all the meant was there would be stuff to do that doesn't required logging on for extended periods of time.

that doesn't mean everything in the game can be done quickly.


and please don't even ***** unless you've camped loo for a month to get a kc....everything else was cake comparatively.
#38 Nov 17 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Scape13 wrote:
I never cared much for force pop. Look what happened to Alky bracelets in XI. The tower became absurdly crowded with people who never wanted to put the time into earning the drop. Then before you knew it, everyone on the server had the best STR gauntlets in the game. It kinda cheapened it to me.

Anyways I think/hope they have both pop and forced. That would please people on both sides. I also hope they drop both rare gear and materials. Like Cerberus dropping Algol and things like that. Not everyone in the game cares for, or does crafting. So I hope gear is also dropped with materials, drops being rare of course.

I really like how in XI, you had to put the time and effort in to receive the "elite" gear. I don't think just anyone and everyone should be able to attain that stuff. Now, I understand that it's somewhat messed up for the casual players or to the people who don't have much time to play, but..... This is an MMORPG afterall. Probably playing the wrong game/genre if you don't have the patience or time to put in the "dirty work".

Also, I totally understand others who feel differently. This is just my opinion.

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 5:23pm by Scape13


See for endgame stuff I agree 100%. Most of that stuff is earned through endgame content, as it should be. What I don't like, are items that are basically leveling aides (emp hairpin, Archer ring/sniper rings, Leaping boots) for being random the way they are, because after a time they stop being perks, and start being 'required' by elite players. What I'd rather see in those cases, are the items be achievable through some long quest chain or be a tough leve that requires a group.
____________________________


#39 Nov 17 2010 at 4:38 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


In my 3 or so years of FFXI, I did more than my fair share of NM camping. LL, Stray Mary, VE, Argus, yagudo NMs, quadav NMs, Spini Spipi (back when its drop was actually worth something). I would even camp NMs that dropped crap just so that I could say I had killed them. I had good luck with some, horrible luck with others.

The issue is not one of not wanting to "spend any time doing anything." It's an issue of not wanting to spend my time doing nothing, which is so much of what NM camping boils down to.

Edited, Nov 17th 2010 2:38pm by Aurelius
#40 Nov 17 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
See and Aur I just generally chose not to camp nms because of that reason - but I came across and killed a fair number of them regardless (Spiny, the mandy that dropped fruit punches, jolly green or whatever, the shadow that dropped the throwing circle that blu could use etc) - That is what I like about open world NMs - coming across them randomly.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#41 Nov 17 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
205 posts
I'm all for open world NM's...as long as they find some way to get DoH and DoL classes in on the fun.

Something like a Notorious...tree... spawning and chopping it for hard to obtain magic wood or super fruit sounds kind of fun.
#42 Nov 17 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
I honestly dont care how the NMS are spawned. My gripe comes from winning said claim and the subsequent difficult fight only to not get the drop. Talking about you Hagun back in the day. Now that worthless GKT is less than 100k. 100% drop would be win. That is the ultimate reward for claiming and winning. Period.

Either that or some sort of you win you get voucher and turn in to npc or levequest giver for choice of reward.



#43 Nov 17 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
704 posts
Force popped, Open World, Lottery Spawn, Raid Boss, you might as well have a healthy amount of all of it as none of it stops RMT. The best you can hope to do is to stop RMT monopolization, and the most successful way SE ever combated this (IMO) was the introduction of R/E versions of popular items like the Leaping Boots, Peacock Charm, etc. This coupled with a alternate way of potentially getting a version of the item that can be sold through BCNM was awesome.

For the longest time, RMT did not have much luck with the Kings in FFXI, but there where still guilds on most servers that would sell you these items for gil.

Sky was, mostly, forced pop and RMT ruined many a night there for me once they took over. However, it was also some of the most fun I ever had in FFXI.

As much as I hate to say it, this is one thing I like about WoW. RMT is absolutely rampant in that game, but the only activity RMT do that really has a super noticeable effect on you is the advertising. PVP bots suck too, but I think these are not usually RMT farmers. RMT does effect WoWs economy, of course, but it does not seem to hurt game play much and the most desirable items in the game are mostly BoP and only obtained via help from a guild or participation in PvP.
#44 Nov 17 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
SideCH wrote:
I'm all for open world NM's...as long as they find some way to get DoH and DoL classes in on the fun.

Something like a Notorious...tree... spawning and chopping it for hard to obtain magic wood or super fruit sounds kind of fun.


OMG... that would be awesome...

Botanist runs into clearing and sees "The Golden Apple Tree". (que "Ode to Joy" music)...

Chop...

"You bring down 3 Golden Apples.
You obtain 3 Golden Apples.
This location will yeild nothing further."

The Golden Apple Tree fades away like an Aether Node...

Your idea is full of win!
#45 Nov 17 2010 at 8:28 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,801 posts
stripesonfire wrote:
stripesonfire wrote:
Irishclass777 wrote:
HIGHTONE wrote:
Please bring back open world NMs with rare drops... to all the whiners, that dont want to camp, there problem is just like half the posts on here, they want everything possible without having to work for it. "wahh i want the best gear in game but i dont want to camp or spend any time doing anything"


Sorry i don't want to spend 6 years killing the same nm about 200 times till i get that item i'm forced to get. Lotto pops for 50-99% you get the item as lotto times can be 1-10 hours. Like leeping lizzy has several pop spots. 1-10 hours time between pops, and item rarely drops. 1-10 houes hunting 1 nm is NOT casual player friendly. neither is 24 hr pops. Jaged ear jack is worst i've only seen that nm 2 times in 6 years. Killed it once. Drop and nm are rarely seen. I'm not lazy, i spent weeks hunting nue for my brown belt. I just never got the item. I would perfer time spawn nms between 1-3 hours, force pop nm where the ??? spawns 1-4 hours and requires items or several items from time pop nms. If its a lotto pop nm its after a certain amount mobs killed in that area. And mobs killed is a random number.

you misinterpret casual player friendly...all the meant was there would be stuff to do that doesn't required logging on for extended periods of time.

that doesn't mean everything in the game can be done quickly.


and please don't even ***** unless you've camped loo for a month to get a kc....everything else was cake comparatively.


We used to have to walk uphill in the snow in order to get to our NM's! With no boots because that's what we were camping for! And then we had to hike uphill on the way back! In the snow! With no boots still because the drop rate sucked!

To be honest the only "difficult" part of most NM's was actually getting the pop and the claim. You do that either through sheer luck or through pouring time in to it.
____________________________
Bloodsail Admiral since 5/16/05
#46 Nov 18 2010 at 6:33 AM Rating: Decent
**
315 posts
@stip/stripe
really a mnth?
Ok so i can't comment unless it took me a mnth getting KC....
well in the 6-7 years i've played and currently playing ffxi i never once got KC. Plus really that a lame reply back.
SE said casual friendly, meaning most if not all activites require less time.
What would be the point of touting casual friendly if only 5% required less time? I'm by far not a casual person. Try to actually make a constructive post and not an insult or epeen. nue fang: 12 hrs aday for 3 weeks.
leeping lizzy 12 hours a day 5 days a week for 6-7 years before i got the drop. Never got KC once. in 6 years only seen JeJ 2 times. And i hunt it regulary. Doing nothing but waiting is not "earning" your item. collecting all nessicary pop items/ being at the right spot on time and killing said NM is earning it. Can't tell you how long it took me to get that disk range weapon from that highlands double nm. The shade and hound nms.

And really what cheapens items is forcing people to have them.
____________________________
can you ware shoes in clown shoes
#47 Nov 18 2010 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
*
80 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
@stip/stripe
really a mnth?
Ok so i can't comment unless it took me a mnth getting KC....
well in the 6-7 years i've played and currently playing ffxi i never once got KC. Plus really that a lame reply back.
SE said casual friendly, meaning most if not all activites require less time.
What would be the point of touting casual friendly if only 5% required less time? I'm by far not a casual person. Try to actually make a constructive post and not an insult or epeen. nue fang: 12 hrs aday for 3 weeks.
leeping lizzy 12 hours a day 5 days a week for 6-7 years before i got the drop. Never got KC once. in 6 years only seen JeJ 2 times. And i hunt it regulary. Doing nothing but waiting is not "earning" your item. collecting all nessicary pop items/ being at the right spot on time and killing said NM is earning it. Can't tell you how long it took me to get that disk range weapon from that highlands double nm. The shade and hound nms.

And really what cheapens items is forcing people to have them.

you are completely misunderstanding casual friendly.

that in no way meant everything takes a shorter amount of time!

leveling is grinding and post 50 will take forever...nothing has changed there.

all the meant was there would be stuff to do that wouldn't take forever if you had 1-2 hours a weeknight...battle and local leves. even if you don't believe me this is fairly obvious if you've played the game for fair amount of time so far.

and i don't give a sh*t what nms you hunted...waiting for a nm you've been camping for a while requires patience...generally the person camping the longest has the best shot at the drop. also, see the word hunted...se wanted to make you you feel like you were on a hunt...running to a spot and trading an item is kinda lame (but satisfies everyone who has zero patience). obviously, you'll disagree but i liked the nm system for the most part in xi (except jp dominance on kings because of server latency issues between jp and us players). combine that with bcnm type fights where you could get similar gear and you didn't have to camp at all.

my main point is se needs to provide different options for obtaining the same piece of gear...people like different things.

Edited, Nov 18th 2010 10:42am by stripesonfire
#48 Nov 18 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
**
518 posts
Quote:
my main point is se needs to provide different options for obtaining the same piece of gear...people like different things.


this, different ways to get the same gear. If you want to camp a NM for hours than you should be able to. If you want to do a BCNM type battle once a week, than you should be able to. If you want to do both, you should be able to.

I'm just VERY against kings, that was the worst system EVER!!! And yes i did camp them, claim them, kill them, and I hated every god **** min of it.
#49 Nov 18 2010 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
*
164 posts
I like the way RoM implemented NMs with the vahtos apprentice monsters. Once you get to a certain level, you can get a quest to kill a super tough mob for a nice accessory. Every 5 levels or so you can get a quest to fight a new NM.

#50 Nov 18 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Irishclass777 wrote:
@stip/stripe
Can't tell you how long it took me to get that disk range weapon from that highlands double nm. The shade and hound nms.

And really what cheapens items is forcing people to have them.


I was so lucky I had helped someone get their skull from Gusgen, I think, and I was running back to the Dunes and came across the NM ... which was awesome because my BLU was hurting for that item
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#51 Nov 18 2010 at 2:51 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
AilysFoxglove wrote:
SideCH wrote:
I'm all for open world NM's...as long as they find some way to get DoH and DoL classes in on the fun.

Something like a Notorious...tree... spawning and chopping it for hard to obtain magic wood or super fruit sounds kind of fun.


OMG... that would be awesome...

Botanist runs into clearing and sees "The Golden Apple Tree". (que "Ode to Joy" music)...

Chop...

"You bring down 3 Golden Apples.
You obtain 3 Golden Apples.
This location will yeild nothing further."

The Golden Apple Tree fades away like an Aether Node...

Your idea is full of win!


OMG I could just see it, Notorious Gathering Points:). Have some of them guarded by NMs as well:). The possibilities...
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)