Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

ZAM symbols - What do they mean?Follow

#1 Nov 18 2010 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
So I come to this site a lot to get updated on what's happening and to look for new guides being posted.
I do have some questions about the different symbols and other things I see on this site.

- I notice some of the thread symbols have a flame symbol on them.
- The red arrow some of the threads have.
- Some of the thread symbols are yellow in color.
- Some of the thread symbols have a plus sign on them.

I'm also wondering how posters get stars beneath their names. Is that do to amount of total rate-ups over time?

Thanks, all.
____________________________


#2 Nov 18 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
ThinkDeeply wrote:
So I come to this site a lot to get updated on what's happening and to look for new guides being posted.
I do have some questions about the different symbols and other things I see on this site.

- I notice some of the thread symbols have a flame symbol on them.
- The red arrow some of the threads have.
- Some of the thread symbols are yellow in color.
- Some of the thread symbols have a plus sign on them.

I'm also wondering how posters get stars beneath their names. Is that do to amount of total rate-ups over time?

Thanks, all.


Most of this is my own personal idea not Zam's so could be wrong...

1: Means it's a fairly active topic
2: Clicking the red arrow takes you to the last unread post in the thread
3: No clue haven't seen that one
4: Means new posts since you were last in the thread I believe.

Stars show up the more posts you have.
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#3 Nov 18 2010 at 8:09 AM Rating: Excellent
*
230 posts
ThinkDeeply wrote:
So I come to this site a lot to get updated on what's happening and to look for new guides being posted.
I do have some questions about the different symbols and other things I see on this site.

- I notice some of the thread symbols have a flame symbol on them.
- The red arrow some of the threads have.
- Some of the thread symbols are yellow in color.
- Some of the thread symbols have a plus sign on them.

I'm also wondering how posters get stars beneath their names. Is that do to amount of total rate-ups over time?

Thanks, all.


If you hover your mouse over the little icon it kind describes whats up with that thread.
Flame symbol (HOT THREAD!) hovering mouse shows 10+ replies
Red arrow will take you to the next new post since you last read that thread
Yellow in color I believe means new thread.
Plus sign I believe means new thread since your last check of the forum section.

Stars are based on number of post.
I believe the names/ranks are based on number of post rate-ups.
Again... I'm still new here but this is what I gather from what I have seen.

(hopefully I am somewhat correct)

EDIT: beat me to the punch Drulian... :) cheers

Edited, Nov 18th 2010 9:11am by edge1006
____________________________
Tre Kensei [Wutai] Lalafell Con/Thaum/Miner/Glad
Perfection Linkshell
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1361071

Treize (Phoenix) -Retired Jan09-
Re-retired again now that I have [Hermes Shoes -1]
DRK75 SMN75 THF75
Alchemy 60 Clothcraft 40
#4 Nov 18 2010 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
Heh Edge I had never noticed they had a mouse over on them! Green arrow go! For that bit of info.
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#5Ponderosa, Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 9:18 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The lock icon usually means you hurt one of the fanboi admins feelings by saying something bad about the game, so they locked the thread, prevent any further discussions.
#6 Nov 18 2010 at 9:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
You forgot to mention, there is no 5th star Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Nov 18 2010 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
You forgot to mention, there is no 5th star Smiley: nod

No 6th star either. Smiley: nod
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#8 Nov 18 2010 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
Excellent! Thanks for the replies :)
____________________________


#9 Nov 18 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Wint wrote:
You forgot to mention, there is no 5th star Smiley: nod

No 6th star either. Smiley: nod
Fact.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#10 Nov 18 2010 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
I'll ask a question though it's not symbol related exactly.. What does the number in the parenthesis mean when showing how many replies there are? Like under Replies it may have 31 (29). Just curious what the 29 represents.
#11 Nov 18 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
MrTalos wrote:
I'll ask a question though it's not symbol related exactly.. What does the number in the parenthesis mean when showing how many replies there are? Like under Replies it may have 31 (29). Just curious what the 29 represents.
How many replies have been added since you last viewed the thread.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#12 Nov 18 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
bsphil wrote:
MrTalos wrote:
I'll ask a question though it's not symbol related exactly.. What does the number in the parenthesis mean when showing how many replies there are? Like under Replies it may have 31 (29). Just curious what the 29 represents.
How many replies have been added since you last viewed the thread.

Ok. That would make sense.

Thank you very much
#13 Nov 18 2010 at 11:13 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Wint wrote:
You forgot to mention, there is no 5th star Smiley: nod

No 6th star either. Smiley: nod


I think they should add a sixth star while leaving out the fifth star, just to mess with everyone.
____________________________



#14 Nov 19 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I've always believed that the fire icon meant that there was flaming going on in that thread. Because there usually is :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Nov 19 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
bsphil wrote:
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Wint wrote:
You forgot to mention, there is no 5th star Smiley: nod

No 6th star either. Smiley: nod
Fact.

Furthermore, one of the long-time posters here (Jophiel, I believe) recently hit over 50k posts, and got the word TILT where the comment about no 5th/6th stars usually goes. There's a J in the middle of his 4 other stars.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 11:01am by Ralrra
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)