Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

HACKED! so now what?Follow

#52 Nov 20 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Decent
wallace87 wrote:
I logged in today to find myself in a whole different area to where i logged off.

Gil - Gone
Items - Gone

LS members spotted me on around 12 hours ago (would be around 6am here) so i am well asleep then and soon to go to work.

Please does anyone know what i can do? I tried a GM but I got an auto response saying "sorry we cant help"



Now stop buying gil.
#53 Nov 20 2010 at 7:38 PM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Ok, let me add some advice here on how to be safe with your system if your an MMO gamer, because RMTing today is serious buisness and accounts can be worth upto thousands of dollars for these people, literally..


Rules to Online Gaming:

1. Never click any links in emails, EVER!
2. Don't be cheap and rip games/movies off torrents. Just buy the real thing and support your countries industries.
3. Don't be cheap and use *free* virus scanners......Just buy the real thing and support the industry.
4. ALWAYS double and tripple check the URL of a link you are about to click and cross reference it with the *official* URL's of the site. Watch for simple changes like for example: http://se.enixs.com OR http://se.enlx.com. There wil always be a subtle change in there that will not correspond with it and when in doubt, copy the URL and google/yahoo search it.
5. Use passwords and login details that use up the entire character space allocated. Make them nothing to do with you what so ever. Make sure they use !@#$%^&*()_+ incorporated in the password and login name at some point if not several.


Now lets get the terminology right. There is no such thing as being *hacked*. Your allowing someone access to your system via not understanding how malware/spyware works OR being lazy by clicking on things willy nilly without checking what your clicking first.

I mean sure, RMTer's could potentially make a program to *hack* people, but the complexity and varibles involved with peoples different ISP's, the constant updating of virus programs and modem firewalls would be a monumental achievement to keep up with that its easier and cheaper for them to *trick* you into giving your details to them.

Like the old saying goes, why break something that works. Tricking people into getting thier details is obviously working and it's not just gaming that this happens in but also online banking etc.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 10:07pm by Taemek


3.
Its why i recommended Microsoft Essentials. And as I said in a previous post 1 rule - dont take advice from unqualified people.



According to Lonix, we shouldn't listen to anyone, because a quailification is simply a peice of paper that anyone can obtain.

However, what anyone can simply not obtain is experience. Most people here giving this advice have more real world experience then quailified people do.
#54 Nov 21 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,545 posts
Lonix wrote:
Difference is no one who has that kind of talent is going to waste his time on some thing trivial as a "Torrent" for XIV. Trust me, there is no such thing as 100% safe. Only real safety you got is the fact, no one really cares about a XIV update torrent file.


That's exactly my point. People are fear mongering about this and pointing at activities that are perfectly safe under the right conditions.

Having a token protects you from the vast majority of baddies out there as far as your account is concerned. Anyone with the skill to obtain your token protected account doesn't care about it.

With or without a token it's the standard computer advice, anti-virus (I have 3 of these, I use one for resident and scan files with all 3, there's nothing wrong with free anti-virus, just make sure it's reputable and you obtain it from the original source), no-script, decent passwords, anti-spyware, firewall, and a little common sense.
#55 Nov 22 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
finally spoke to someone only had to wait like 2-3 days. Well got hacked Friday and got through to someone Monday.

Spoke to a chap called Vincent (lol maybe his real name maybe not)

And was advised to send a copy of my Driving license or passport and my FFXIV reg code.

Oh and it can take up to 3-4 weeks, all while my account will be locked out.

Now Vincent was really cool and helpful but this process seems far to long. You get hacked then slap a suspension on your account for 3-4 weeks while they have a look. I dont know seems odd.
#56 Nov 22 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
wallace87 wrote:
finally spoke to someone only had to wait like 2-3 days. Well got hacked Friday and got through to someone Monday.

Spoke to a chap called Vincent (lol maybe his real name maybe not)

And was advised to send a copy of my Driving license or passport and my FFXIV reg code.

Oh and it can take up to 3-4 weeks, all while my account will be locked out.

Now Vincent was really cool and helpful but this process seems far to long. You get hacked then slap a suspension on your account for 3-4 weeks while they have a look. I dont know seems odd.


the reason for the account suspension while the process is underway is so that no one further tampers with the account
they are asking for you to give hard copies of your info to prove it is you(anyone can have gotten actual info off of them and just give it over the phone after all)

all through this you can probly expect them to extend your gametime by the ammount of time it was locked etc, if they dont, ask them to do it, im sure they will since it was time your acocunt was actualy locked due to an issue that may or may not have been in your control(dont know how you got hacked so not saying it is or isnt your fault)
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#57 Nov 22 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
My main issue is the time. In 3 weeks i can get my gear back with help of friends etc. I mean i would lose 3 million gil but that can be made back.

In the 3-4 weeks imagine the SP and EXP i could of got plus i could prob farm some gil.

Not to be like "omg wow is better" specially since i hate that easy dull game, but a mate of mine got hacked and within 24 hours he had it all back. How can SE take like 21 times longer?

Following is added -
Has anyone had experience or know anyone else thats had this happened and tried to get it resolved?

Edited, Nov 22nd 2010 1:10pm by wallace87
#58 Nov 22 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
wallace87 wrote:
My main issue is the time. In 3 weeks i can get my gear back with help of friends etc. I mean i would lose 3 million gil but that can be made back.

In the 3-4 weeks imagine the SP and EXP i could of got plus i could prob farm some gil.

Not to be like "omg wow is better" specially since i hate that easy dull game, but a mate of mine got hacked and within 24 hours he had it all back. How can SE take like 21 times longer?

Following is added -
Has anyone had experience or know anyone else thats had this happened and tried to get it resolved?

Edited, Nov 22nd 2010 1:10pm by wallace87


i have had others who have had this issue in ffxi, and wow, and in a few other games no one here probly knows about
it depends on who you talk to, ive seen SE get things done quick, and then ive seen it where they take weeks
same with wow, i have a friend who got hacked, and they had him up and running in days, yet another one who took about 5 weeks to get it resolved
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#59 Nov 22 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
**
650 posts
wallace87 wrote:
My main issue is the time. In 3 weeks i can get my gear back with help of friends etc. I mean i would lose 3 million gil but that can be made back.

In the 3-4 weeks imagine the SP and EXP i could of got plus i could prob farm some gil.

Not to be like "omg wow is better" specially since i hate that easy dull game, but a mate of mine got hacked and within 24 hours he had it all back. How can SE take like 21 times longer?

Following is added -
Has anyone had experience or know anyone else thats had this happened and tried to get it resolved?

Edited, Nov 22nd 2010 1:10pm by wallace87


Then you should have not it frozen and not pursue the case anymore. You really have to weigh out things on how much you actually lost when you get hack and the time to restore it.
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#60 Nov 23 2010 at 1:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
Lonix wrote:
Difference is no one who has that kind of talent is going to waste his time on some thing trivial as a "Torrent" for XIV. Trust me, there is no such thing as 100% safe. Only real safety you got is the fact, no one really cares about a XIV update torrent file.


That's exactly my point. People are fear mongering about this and pointing at activities that are perfectly safe under the right conditions.

Having a token protects you from the vast majority of baddies out there as far as your account is concerned. Anyone with the skill to obtain your token protected account doesn't care about it.

With or without a token it's the standard computer advice, anti-virus (I have 3 of these, I use one for resident and scan files with all 3, there's nothing wrong with free anti-virus, just make sure it's reputable and you obtain it from the original source), no-script, decent passwords, anti-spyware, firewall, and a little common sense.


You were making a lot of sense there... up until I read that you have 3 anti-virus softwares... I really hope that was a typo... Either that or you are uber paranoid.. PARANOID TO THE MAX.. (if you have 3 anti-virus just for the sake of scanning your pc for viruses you are still insane and my previous statement still holds)

Quick note to other people who don't have a clue.. having 3 anti-virus is going to eat away a lot of system resources.. so do yourself a huge favor and go research an anti-virus that works for you.. and remember one dedicated anti-virus.. one anti-spyware/malware .. and one software firewall (if you router doesn't have one) ... Last but not least.. up date your freakin host file.. yes you can use your host files to block unwanted incoming http connection therefore buy you some time in the event of a virus/spyware/malware infection..

AND no making the host file more than 500kb does not lag your pc... /facepalm if you believe this myth..

About the RMTs: These RMTs are usually giant companies that branches out to multiple service websites... when/if you go talk to the live support.. chances are it's the same live support personnel on a lot of the websites... Their names are randomly generated and most of them talk in broken English that is why everyone believes they are chinese.. which isn't really far off the truth.. These RMTers are actually really good bot/script programmers.. most of them have their softwares up and running within 2 days within a games release..

Torrenting is 100% safe if you know what you are doing.. Using alternate torrent clients to update the FFXIV client is 9000% safe.. violation of the Eula ..maybe.. but why should you care if you can get in the game faster by using alternate methods?

Edited, Nov 23rd 2010 2:10am by nick2412

Edited, Nov 23rd 2010 2:11am by nick2412

Edited, Nov 23rd 2010 2:12am by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#61 Nov 23 2010 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,545 posts
nick2412 wrote:
You were making a lot of sense there... up until I read that you have 3 anti-virus softwares... I really hope that was a typo... Either that or you are uber paranoid.. PARANOID TO THE MAX.. (if you have 3 anti-virus just for the sake of scanning your pc for viruses you are still insane and my previous statement still holds)


Hahaha, I specified that I don't have them all running. More than one would be unnecessary, bog down your system, and could potentially cause a conflict. I have them to run suspicious files through, a little paranoid, maybe, but it takes all of 5 seconds to send a file to a command line virus scan or two that could save me a lot of grief one day.

I have a linux system setup with a windows VM install specifically for scanning the really suspicious files...and I isolate it from my network before using it...THAT's paranoid.
#62 Nov 24 2010 at 4:36 AM Rating: Good
Since there's already a post about this I'm going to reply here... Tonight an LS member was hacked. As I was departing from an RP moment I suddenly came upon an LS member in the Hyaline standing there. I said hello over the pearl and moments later I suddenly got warning this person wasn't supposed to be online. After a search around Limsa the account owner managed to log onto the hacked account and changed the password. The end result was roughly 400K and 30 items including bazaar lost. Had I not spotted that person and said hello it could have been worse... As I write this the owner is contacting a GM to discuss it with.

The owner has a security token as well yet they were still hacked. As a warning, please do make sure you change your passwords regularly. Nothing of serious value was lost and the account, equipment, and character is still intact so the owner got lucky this time.

EDIT: After talking with the owner they confirmed not a huge amount of stuff was lost, mostly craft related items for leatherworking which can be replaced, a shortbow she had was stolen and roughly 400K in gil. The equipment on the character and retainer are still OK. A GM was called already. To those who posted info in this thread on what to do I thank you, I told her about it and helped her file a report on the Support Center site.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 4:43am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer
[ffxivsig]667415[/ffxivsig]
Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#63 Nov 24 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Default
***
1,408 posts
Taemek wrote:
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Ok, let me add some advice here on how to be safe with your system if your an MMO gamer, because RMTing today is serious buisness and accounts can be worth upto thousands of dollars for these people, literally..


Rules to Online Gaming:

1. Never click any links in emails, EVER!
2. Don't be cheap and rip games/movies off torrents. Just buy the real thing and support your countries industries.
3. Don't be cheap and use *free* virus scanners......Just buy the real thing and support the industry.
4. ALWAYS double and tripple check the URL of a link you are about to click and cross reference it with the *official* URL's of the site. Watch for simple changes like for example: http://se.enixs.com OR http://se.enlx.com. There wil always be a subtle change in there that will not correspond with it and when in doubt, copy the URL and google/yahoo search it.
5. Use passwords and login details that use up the entire character space allocated. Make them nothing to do with you what so ever. Make sure they use !@#$%^&*()_+ incorporated in the password and login name at some point if not several.


Now lets get the terminology right. There is no such thing as being *hacked*. Your allowing someone access to your system via not understanding how malware/spyware works OR being lazy by clicking on things willy nilly without checking what your clicking first.

I mean sure, RMTer's could potentially make a program to *hack* people, but the complexity and varibles involved with peoples different ISP's, the constant updating of virus programs and modem firewalls would be a monumental achievement to keep up with that its easier and cheaper for them to *trick* you into giving your details to them.

Like the old saying goes, why break something that works. Tricking people into getting thier details is obviously working and it's not just gaming that this happens in but also online banking etc.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 10:07pm by Taemek


3.
Its why i recommended Microsoft Essentials. And as I said in a previous post 1 rule - dont take advice from unqualified people.



According to Lonix, we shouldn't listen to anyone, because a quailification is simply a peice of paper that anyone can obtain.

However, what anyone can simply not obtain is experience. Most people here giving this advice have more real world experience then quailified people do.


Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 7:48am by Lonix
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#64 Nov 24 2010 at 6:53 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Since there's already a post about this I'm going to reply here... Tonight an LS member was hacked. As I was departing from an RP moment I suddenly came upon an LS member in the Hyaline standing there. I said hello over the pearl and moments later I suddenly got warning this person wasn't supposed to be online. After a search around Limsa the account owner managed to log onto the hacked account and changed the password. The end result was roughly 400K and 30 items including bazaar lost. Had I not spotted that person and said hello it could have been worse... As I write this the owner is contacting a GM to discuss it with.

The owner has a security token as well yet they were still hacked. As a warning, please do make sure you change your passwords regularly. Nothing of serious value was lost and the account, equipment, and character is still intact so the owner got lucky this time.

EDIT: After talking with the owner they confirmed not a huge amount of stuff was lost, mostly craft related items for leatherworking which can be replaced, a shortbow she had was stolen and roughly 400K in gil. The equipment on the character and retainer are still OK. A GM was called already. To those who posted info in this thread on what to do I thank you, I told her about it and helped her file a report on the Support Center site.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 4:43am by SamusKnight


Sorry to hear that it does totally suck that it happens. Ask the person to perform scans for trogans, keyloggers etc. Be very interesting to know if there is any?
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#65 Nov 24 2010 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?


You sure are sharing a ton of info about yourself and your employer to prove to this board your "qualified" to run an anti-virus.... congratulations?


Edited, Nov 24th 2010 9:38am by windexy
#66 Nov 24 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
windexy wrote:
Quote:
Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?


You sure are sharing a ton of info about yourself and your employer to prove to this board your "qualified" to run an anti-virus.... congratulations?


Edited, Nov 24th 2010 9:38am by windexy


Im an IT guy, naturally grumpy @8-5 mon-fri. None of that info can be used against me, I get salesman on a daily basis trying to get this info out of me. And its not @anti virus it was @idiot trying to say experience is better then my so called piece of paper. When in fact I have both and soon more :)
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#67 Nov 24 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
Lonix wrote:
windexy wrote:
Quote:
Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?


You sure are sharing a ton of info about yourself and your employer to prove to this board your "qualified" to run an anti-virus.... congratulations?


Edited, Nov 24th 2010 9:38am by windexy


Im an IT guy, naturally grumpy @8-5 mon-fri. None of that info can be used against me, I get salesman on a daily basis trying to get this info out of me. And its not @anti virus it was @idiot trying to say experience is better then my so called piece of paper. When in fact I have both and soon more :)


Okay lets just throw out the fact that I currently have my CEH, CISSP, Security +, Pretty much all the MS and cisco certs.....

After that I am looking at 10+ years experience in the computer security field (granted only 3 of those years I have been employed doing legit white hat work. The time before that could be classified as black/grey hat). I would have to say that on most points a agree with Lonix. People remember one small thing....if you don't know EXACTLY wtf your talking about.....don't say ****. People that are unsure about tech will instantly take your word like its gods if you make yourself sound believable by simple saying some techy stuff that someone may not understand. Just simply do your research....OR if you don't know don't post.
#68 Nov 24 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
OP sorry to hear about your account. Still amazed anyone would hack an account for gil and gear this early in the game.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1820698[/ffxivsig]
#69 Nov 24 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
26 posts
Someone in my LS got hacked today...
#70 Nov 24 2010 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Ok, let me add some advice here on how to be safe with your system if your an MMO gamer, because RMTing today is serious buisness and accounts can be worth upto thousands of dollars for these people, literally..


Rules to Online Gaming:

1. Never click any links in emails, EVER!
2. Don't be cheap and rip games/movies off torrents. Just buy the real thing and support your countries industries.
3. Don't be cheap and use *free* virus scanners......Just buy the real thing and support the industry.
4. ALWAYS double and tripple check the URL of a link you are about to click and cross reference it with the *official* URL's of the site. Watch for simple changes like for example: http://se.enixs.com OR http://se.enlx.com. There wil always be a subtle change in there that will not correspond with it and when in doubt, copy the URL and google/yahoo search it.
5. Use passwords and login details that use up the entire character space allocated. Make them nothing to do with you what so ever. Make sure they use !@#$%^&*()_+ incorporated in the password and login name at some point if not several.


Now lets get the terminology right. There is no such thing as being *hacked*. Your allowing someone access to your system via not understanding how malware/spyware works OR being lazy by clicking on things willy nilly without checking what your clicking first.

I mean sure, RMTer's could potentially make a program to *hack* people, but the complexity and varibles involved with peoples different ISP's, the constant updating of virus programs and modem firewalls would be a monumental achievement to keep up with that its easier and cheaper for them to *trick* you into giving your details to them.

Like the old saying goes, why break something that works. Tricking people into getting thier details is obviously working and it's not just gaming that this happens in but also online banking etc.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 10:07pm by Taemek


3.
Its why i recommended Microsoft Essentials. And as I said in a previous post 1 rule - dont take advice from unqualified people.



According to Lonix, we shouldn't listen to anyone, because a quailification is simply a peice of paper that anyone can obtain.

However, what anyone can simply not obtain is experience. Most people here giving this advice have more real world experience then quailified people do.


Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?



I'm next in line for the throne after I cut William's brakes (his car is even more accessible than Mum's was).
____________________________


[ffxivsig]1815523[/ffxivsig]
#71 Nov 25 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Since there's already a post about this I'm going to reply here... Tonight an LS member was hacked. As I was departing from an RP moment I suddenly came upon an LS member in the Hyaline standing there. I said hello over the pearl and moments later I suddenly got warning this person wasn't supposed to be online. After a search around Limsa the account owner managed to log onto the hacked account and changed the password. The end result was roughly 400K and 30 items including bazaar lost. Had I not spotted that person and said hello it could have been worse... As I write this the owner is contacting a GM to discuss it with.

The owner has a security token as well yet they were still hacked. As a warning, please do make sure you change your passwords regularly. Nothing of serious value was lost and the account, equipment, and character is still intact so the owner got lucky this time.

EDIT: After talking with the owner they confirmed not a huge amount of stuff was lost, mostly craft related items for leatherworking which can be replaced, a shortbow she had was stolen and roughly 400K in gil. The equipment on the character and retainer are still OK. A GM was called already. To those who posted info in this thread on what to do I thank you, I told her about it and helped her file a report on the Support Center site.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 4:43am by SamusKnight


digitaldragoon wrote:
OP sorry to hear about your account. Still amazed anyone would hack an account for gil and gear this early in the game.

Still amazed at people who buy gil then cry when hacked
____________________________
MUTED
#72 Nov 25 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
KeroBoo wrote:


Okay lets just throw out the fact that I currently have my CEH, CISSP, Security +, Pretty much all the MS and cisco certs.....

After that I am looking at 10+ years experience in the computer security field (granted only 3 of those years I have been employed doing legit white hat work. The time before that could be classified as black/grey hat). I would have to say that on most points a agree with Lonix. People remember one small thing....if you don't know EXACTLY wtf your talking about.....don't say sh*t. People that are unsure about tech will instantly take your word like its gods if you make yourself sound believable by simple saying some techy stuff that someone may not understand. Just simply do your research....OR if you don't know don't post.



Thank You :)

And your right, any "Basic Tech" will be looked at as if they all mighty. I knew one once that actually spoke as if he was intelligent and he got away with it ;)

The advice given is always the tell tell sign because anyone who works in IT for a long time will say certain things, where as some kid at home who is 19 and under will say other certain things.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#73 Nov 25 2010 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Since there's already a post about this I'm going to reply here... Tonight an LS member was hacked. As I was departing from an RP moment I suddenly came upon an LS member in the Hyaline standing there. I said hello over the pearl and moments later I suddenly got warning this person wasn't supposed to be online. After a search around Limsa the account owner managed to log onto the hacked account and changed the password. The end result was roughly 400K and 30 items including bazaar lost. Had I not spotted that person and said hello it could have been worse... As I write this the owner is contacting a GM to discuss it with.

The owner has a security token as well yet they were still hacked. As a warning, please do make sure you change your passwords regularly. Nothing of serious value was lost and the account, equipment, and character is still intact so the owner got lucky this time.

EDIT: After talking with the owner they confirmed not a huge amount of stuff was lost, mostly craft related items for leatherworking which can be replaced, a shortbow she had was stolen and roughly 400K in gil. The equipment on the character and retainer are still OK. A GM was called already. To those who posted info in this thread on what to do I thank you, I told her about it and helped her file a report on the Support Center site.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 4:43am by SamusKnight


digitaldragoon wrote:
OP sorry to hear about your account. Still amazed anyone would hack an account for gil and gear this early in the game.

Still amazed at people who buy gil then cry when hacked


Im amazed that your amazed that hes amazed ;)

No on a serious note, all you can do is watch your back. Change your PW to some thing complex, use a security token, be virus protected and trojan protected, update your PC etc and avoid certain sites, links etc.

Pain in the **** I know but its todays world. **** even facebook gets its fair share and yet again thats back in the news (bbc site) about something I already knew....
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#74 Nov 25 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Cherbr wrote:
Vedis wrote:
One last thing i wanted to point out cuz alot of people get hacked over this thinking its "safe"

never download a patch outside the downloader

alot of people add keyloggers and such to torrents cuz people want to download a patch faster, and this is where they get it from


Please don't spread bullsh*t like this.

Even when you download the patch file from somewhere else its still checked by SE's patcher to make sure it matches the proper file. The amount of work it would take to modify the patch file to contain a virus and get it past the file check on the downloader and somehow have SE's patcher install the virus would be beyond ridiculous.



You're assuming that everybody knows exactly what to do to manually patch the game. I could easily upload a Trojan (if I had one) named something like "FFXIV_Official_SquareEnix_Update.exe" and tell people to patch all they have to do is run it, and I guarantee that a few people WILL download and run it.

So the warning IS valid. If you don't know **exactly** what you're doing, use the built-in patcher and don't risk it.

And to the OP, ask yourself this question (don't post it here)- Did you use a STRONG password? If it's not at least 8 characters long, containing both upper and lower case letters and at least one number, it's not that strong of a password. If it's a word you can find in a Dictionary, or even a mis-spelled word, name, or combination of real words, that is a VERY WEAK password.
If you used a weak password, someone probably guessed it using a Dictionary attack, and as long as you don't see anything strange on any other online accounts you might be ok.... just make sure you change ALL your passwords.

But if you want to be SURE, then you need to wipe your system clean and re-install your OS from scratch. You DO have your data backed up, right? RIGHT? Hope so.
Ya, it's a pain, but it's better than someone running around with passwords to things like your bank, etc.

Sometimes it's better to be a little paranoid than assume you're safe, even if there really isn't anything to worry about.
#75 Nov 25 2010 at 4:34 PM Rating: Good
Can't really jump to conclusions here but there's been some info as to how a member of my LS had their account hacked. Apparently (And again I'm not sure where this info came from.) a user has been hacking into various FFXIV fansites such as ZAM here and the Lodestone directly. The hacker gets everyone's usernames and passwords and then tries those out on the game. With those that work, they log in, clean out the account by selling everything and then transferring the gil to a secondary character and just dump them after. Seeing as there hasn't been any mentioning of account hacking on ZAM here I'd rule that out as being a place they're targeting. As for the Lodestone can't quite say, only that hours before the owner had been hacked she logged into the Lodestone. It's not concrete evidence so I'm only going to exercise caution on this one. The rest I do believe in, when I caught the person in the act they were in the middle of selling off stuff to the NPC vendor in the Hyaline just south of Limsa Lominsa's Adventurer's Guild.

Soon as they were found out they took the character to the middle of the guild, transferred what gil they could, and logged out. When the owner logged back in they found themselves standing in that spot with several items and gil lost.

EDIT:
skeptikal1 wrote:
You're assuming that everybody knows exactly what to do to manually patch the game. I could easily upload a Trojan (if I had one) named something like "FFXIV_Official_SquareEnix_Update.exe" and tell people to patch all they have to do is run it, and I guarantee that a few people WILL download and run it.


I have to agree on this part, I hate to, but I gotta... My roommate is precisely one of the type of people who would download and run it. No matter how much you warn someone about something they're just going to do it anyway sometimes if they're that stubborn or impatient. Kind of unrelated but he's having PS3 issues and even after how much I've warned him about it he still tries to mess around with the PS3 thinking it's a problem he can fix himself.

Edited, Nov 25th 2010 2:43pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer
[ffxivsig]667415[/ffxivsig]
Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#76 Nov 25 2010 at 4:42 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Shijou wrote:
LyleVertigo wrote:

If he had a security token there would of been no way for them to breech the account.


This is not true. WoW security tokens were hacked before, so it is possible.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 1:04pm by Shijou


Not really. What they use is a "man in the middle" attack. A program installed on your computer grabs your password and the number generated by the token and then prevents you from logging on. Meanwhile the hacker is logging in and removing the token from your account. SE needs to change their system so that you cannot remove the security token without actually calling up SE.

Blizzard and SE both use the Digipass GO 6 security token. These things have never actually been directly broken and aren't going to be. Each token has a unique key encrypted with either DES 3DES or AES depending on what the customer (Blizzard or SE in this case) wants.

Breaking the token's encryption basically means obtaining it's key. Problem is that even if you break one token, that only helps you with that particular token. Knowing the encryption algorithm won't help you with this, they are already publicly known. Secrecy isn't what makes them secure, it's that they have no mathematical weakness and the only way to obtain the key would be with a brute force attack, which would take years.

And before someone brings up DVD, that was broken because A. the encryption was pretty weak, and B. all DVDs have to use the same key to be able to play on all DVD players. You can't have every DVD or every DVD player have a unique key like you can with a security token.



Edited, Nov 25th 2010 6:56pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#77 Nov 25 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
**
588 posts
Dont be a noob bro. ITs true there are fake patches that wouldnt pass the patchers test that do contain viruses. Your statement was uninformed. It has a flair of elitism that was unnecessary. Not every pic you download of brittany spears naked is really a pic of brittany spears naked....

You failed EPIC Style on this post just calling you out.

Cherbr wrote:
Vedis wrote:
One last thing i wanted to point out cuz alot of people get hacked over this thinking its "safe"

never download a patch outside the downloader

alot of people add keyloggers and such to torrents cuz people want to download a patch faster, and this is where they get it from


Please don't spread bullsh*t like this.

Even when you download the patch file from somewhere else its still checked by SE's patcher to make sure it matches the proper file. The amount of work it would take to modify the patch file to contain a virus and get it past the file check on the downloader and somehow have SE's patcher install the virus would be beyond ridiculous.



Edited, Nov 25th 2010 5:50pm by cornyboob
____________________________
[ffxivsig]290155[/ffxivsig]

Cornyboob Funnyname Wutai Phys 50 Conj 49 Weaver 49 LW 34 Alch 28 Pug 22 Archer 20 Glad 19 Thaum 20 GS 11 Bot 9 Miner 8 Shield 44 Maur 3

#78 Nov 25 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
31 posts
If your account is really hacked I feel sorry for you. Although I'm having a hard time imagining why people would go through this effort. At this point in the game your complete inventory value in RL would barely be worthwhile to spend some serieus time hacking. I ran a linkshell in FFXI and the "weird" part there was that with negliable exception all the people that where "hacked" were people who shared there account/password with friends.

If this is not the case in your situation I wish you the best of luck and indeed don't count on SE to be very helpfull :( Start farming / questing and get your gear back.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1816153[/ffxivsig]
#79 Nov 25 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Default
**
608 posts
really need virus/malware protection these days. watch what you download. you need a long password.

bascly your screwed you have to start over or quit.
#80 Nov 27 2010 at 10:12 AM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Lonix wrote:
Taemek wrote:
Ok, let me add some advice here on how to be safe with your system if your an MMO gamer, because RMTing today is serious buisness and accounts can be worth upto thousands of dollars for these people, literally..


Rules to Online Gaming:

1. Never click any links in emails, EVER!
2. Don't be cheap and rip games/movies off torrents. Just buy the real thing and support your countries industries.
3. Don't be cheap and use *free* virus scanners......Just buy the real thing and support the industry.
4. ALWAYS double and tripple check the URL of a link you are about to click and cross reference it with the *official* URL's of the site. Watch for simple changes like for example: http://se.enixs.com OR http://se.enlx.com. There wil always be a subtle change in there that will not correspond with it and when in doubt, copy the URL and google/yahoo search it.
5. Use passwords and login details that use up the entire character space allocated. Make them nothing to do with you what so ever. Make sure they use !@#$%^&*()_+ incorporated in the password and login name at some point if not several.


Now lets get the terminology right. There is no such thing as being *hacked*. Your allowing someone access to your system via not understanding how malware/spyware works OR being lazy by clicking on things willy nilly without checking what your clicking first.

I mean sure, RMTer's could potentially make a program to *hack* people, but the complexity and varibles involved with peoples different ISP's, the constant updating of virus programs and modem firewalls would be a monumental achievement to keep up with that its easier and cheaper for them to *trick* you into giving your details to them.

Like the old saying goes, why break something that works. Tricking people into getting thier details is obviously working and it's not just gaming that this happens in but also online banking etc.

Edited, Nov 19th 2010 10:07pm by Taemek


3.
Its why i recommended Microsoft Essentials. And as I said in a previous post 1 rule - dont take advice from unqualified people.



According to Lonix, we shouldn't listen to anyone, because a quailification is simply a peice of paper that anyone can obtain.

However, what anyone can simply not obtain is experience. Most people here giving this advice have more real world experience then quailified people do.


Shows how much you know doesnt it, I just got a 2nd thank you in 3 months for my technical advice. Other one was from XI forums.

I have been working for 8 years in IT and did a NVQ in business admin @16 then NVQ IT@17-18. Got hired as a senior IT Technician and now I am network manager of 200 staff 1400+ students ranging from 12-19 with 800+ laptops/computers. I setup everything minus SIMS (registers) and if our system goes down for 30 seconds I am flooded with calls and help centre jobs. We are not RM, we are self managed "Vanilla Network".

I am currently doing a MCITP which includes MCSE,MCSA and MCDST.
And you are totally right with experience over a piece of paper but these so called pieces of papers are teaching me things I do know, don't know and microsofts know. Anyone in the IT world with experience knows theres the right answer, wrong answer and the microsoft answer.

Now you tell me who is experienced, when your boss turns around and says "my self and CET have no worry the day Steve retires and handing you the position". Steve being the Head of IS (Information Systems).

So who is more qualified and experienced?

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 7:48am by Lonix


The difference here Lonix is a simple one, I gave some solid advice while you still stand here running your mouth trying to look cool with your so called preverbial certificates that for all we know, your dad is doing OR has done while your living at home, after all, your only 19, right? See what I did there?

In any event, all ******** talking aside because Lonix likes to talk all cryptic like and not give any *real* advice (I guess we have to pay him 60 bux an hour for some common sense 101 how to safely use the internet advice because obviously, Microsoft Essentials is the be all end all program to stop any intrusion on your system....0.o), the advice I gave doesn't need an IT to tell you it, its commonly known, tried and tested by millions of people who follow it and it never fails them.

Never think your safe on the internet, even when the 150 dollar an hour IT professional tries to tell you are, but you can sure as **** minimize the attempts that people make at trying to gain access to your personal details.
#81 Nov 27 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
mitmystria wrote:
really need virus/malware protection these days.

In addition to that, I recommend KeyScrambler. Free version works with IE & Firefox (which I think most people use anyway), where the paid versions cover a lot of other stuff, including WoW. I emailed them once to see if they'd ever cover FFXI, but didn't get a response, so I'm guessing that's a no.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#82 Nov 27 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Decent
*sigh* My wife logged in today after not playing for 1-2 days and soon found out that she wasn't at the location she logged off. She was logging out beneath a camp in Gridania and now standing around somewhere within Limsa Lominsa. We checked her whole inventory and retainer - items were still there and every piece of equipment.
But somebody took her whole Gil ( around 120,000 ) and all Wind, Water and Fire Shards - maybe Ice as well. Strangely, she still had all elemental crystals.

She told me she got a mail from SE support last evening or the day before and was informed that due to an internal error her secret question got changed but the answer to the secret question was still the same and she was advised to change it as soon as possible. *sigh* She clicked on the link, took a closer look off the website but didn't type in any account information because she started to get suspicious and closed the page.

Today she told me about it and asked me if I got a mail like this and told her that I didnt know anything about it.

I guess it was already enough for the hacker to do his thing just because she clicked on that link - honestly I dont have a clue why she did that as she knows not to do that in any case.

We didnt use the security token up to now but we have good passwords, we don't buy Gil or visit those kind of websites, we don't dll via torrents and I'm always running an up to date anti virus application.
99 % of the time I only use Firefox to browse.

Will my account be affected now as well although it was her who clicked on that link in her own e mail account? Nontheless it's my job now to scan the whole system with my favourite tools and if they're unable to solve that issue there's always the brutal way: format the whole HDD.

Since there's only a couple hundred shards missing and 120k Gil I suppose it wouldn't be worth it to contact SE support for this.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 6:22pm by ShalindraCelesti
____________________________

1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 86 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (86)